Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Another game by CiNG - Again: Eye of Providence
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Quote:
Hey, I'm from Germany so i wonder if it will be released here, too?
Does anyone know?
Because i love Hotel Dusk and Last Window (:

I'm afraid it never will. Thing is, the game sold so poorly in the US (which isn't really that surprising at all, seeing the game was virtually not promoted at all), I doubt Tecmo is going to take the risk to localise it to get even poorer sales in Europe.
The game should have been released at about the same time in the US/Europe, more precisely, in Spring 2010. While it was released on March 30th in the US, we still haven't heard anything about a possible European released that already seemed improbable way back when the game was announced.

Had the game been published by Nintendo itself (like other Cing games, HD and LW for example), maybe things would've been different, I don't know.

Still, you can buy the game on Play-Asia. That's pretty much the only way to get the game, I'm afraid.

Last edited by L~A on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
Hmm, no idea. Although I wouldn't hold my breath. Again Eye of Providence wasn't exactly a greatest hit in the states.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:52 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Criticus Maximus
The game is still one of the few DS titles that has recieved bad reviews across the board. That's about the only press it had, really. I've completed the game mysekf now and I'd have to agree, it was pretty lack luster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Hate is Bad :(
I don't know if it's like this in Europe, but there is literally no advertising at all for games like this here in the US. Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, I learned about them all through word-of-mouth. They will never branch out from their little niche audiences because so few people know this genre even exists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I don't remember for Hotel Dusk or the 1st Another Code game, but I do remember quite a few commercials on TV for its sequel, Another Code: R. I was quite surprised actually, I really didn't expect to see one, actually. I also received several 'newsletters' for Last Window from the Nintendo.fr website, but I didn't see any advertisement on TV (mainly because I don't watch TV, huh?).

But you're right, such games as Again, Hotel Dusk or Another Code (cf: text-based adventure games) are far from being a mainstream kind of games. If we had been in the 90's, no doubt such games would have sold much better. Which is really a shame in my opinion, considering they're a very good alternative from 'modern' games, packed with action, stunning graphics, hectic multiplayer, online gaming; etc... to bring a bit variety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I've started the game... again. (semi-intended pun)
I'm really enjoying it again, despite the pacing problems of the 1st part which become really blatant in the 2nd walkthrough. But I don't find that particularly annoying or anything, hopefully. Funnily enough, it doesn't seem to take me much longer to play, as opposed to the 1st time I did.
I'm really fond of the 'Past Vision' gameplay system, and I wish Cing had had the time to push the idea further than they actually did in the game. Maybe if they had had something like a 'main vision', that you'd uncover by putting together the pieces of the puzzles in the various investigations.

And again (duh), the music is pretty nice, quite catchy, though it's really not quite up to Okubo's work. Still, it fits the atmosphere perfectly. I wonder how it would've turned out, had he composed the soundtrack for this game.

Oh, and Roger rules :p Best expressions ever.
'I ain't know nuthin!' Haha, great character and very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:47 pm 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: I'm workin' on it.
Spoiler: Hotel Dusk spoilers, just to be safe.
I half-expected "J" to be Bradley...

... Yeah, that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: earthlings on fire
I know this topic is old however I really would like to know if anyone has the OST's uploaded somewhere? I know they were posted earlier in the thread but that link doesn't work any more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I still have the OST, and I'm currently uploading it on my personal 'website'. I'll post the link when it's done.
Note however that it's the rip version, and no official OST was ever released, so there's no names for the various tracks. It's also password-protected, here's the password (just copy/paste it):

Spoiler:
4g41n:3y30fpr0v1d3nc3

And the download link:

Spoiler:
http://yume.no.sakura.free.fr/Divers/AGAIN.zip

So, did you like the game? The game's pretty nice, even though it's nowhere as good as the other games by Cing.
I did grow fond of the graphic style (pictures of real places and people), I believe it gave a rather unique feeling to the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: earthlings on fire
Oh, thank you very much! The music was one of my favourite parts of the game, it was really immersing.

Yes, I enjoyed Again. It's been awhile since playing so my memory is a little fuzzy but I remember not being able to put it down until I finished it! The end was especially dramatic...Too bad the sequel won't happen. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

You're most welcome.
Reminds me that I haven't played this game for a while, should go play it again one of those days... then again, my plate's pretty ful at the moment, so it'll have to wait... thanksfully, the game itself isn't very long!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:45 pm 
Suspect
Suspect

Custom Title: 24 Ward Investigator
I keep forgetting to buy this game whenever I go to Bestbuy, yet I think it's hard to find now :payne: Oh well, I guess it's time to use amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Alternatively, the game's still available on Play-Asia, and they seem to have plenty in stock too. If you can't find it elsewhere, you might want to try your luck there :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: ...Hopefully someday... xD
I myself got my own copy of this finally, FINALLY, today.
I'm currently trying to solve "the mystery of the park hall"

Honestly, I like the game...I guess.
Granted; it's not much that Hotel Duskish as I expected it to be,
but still great.

The art style of this game was bugging at first, but it didn't take long for me to like it.
I guess I accepted the style in less than first 15 mins.
Though I seriously think that if more people would knew this game;
J's oversized: DAMN! -face would make an instant meme. You think?
Well...That's the con of using real actors > cartooned characters.
We tend to be more forgivefull to actions of cartoon characters, but who seriosly gives a butt hair?!

Thanks for the mp3's L~A <3
I'm not saying the music is best ever, but it's pretty good
and fits the game 100%.

Well...I guess that's all I have to say of this game so far.
I kept my promise and bought it and so far I'm liking it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Admin
Admin

*Stereotypical Comercial Thumbs up*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Quote:
Thanks for the mp3's L~A <3
I'm not saying the music is best ever, but it's pretty good
and fits the game 100%.

Oh, I didn't even know I had forgotten to delete the file from there... guess it's not a problem anyway, I'm not gonna get the FBI on my *ss with that link :p
And I agree on the music. I've heard much better, but it's still some pretty cool music that fits the game it was composed for.

Quote:
The art style of this game was bugging at first, but it didn't take long for me to like it.

Same for me. I think it gives the game a little 'special something' that really sets it apart.
There's one 'character' I really liked (at least, his 'animations')... I'm sure you'll know who I mean when you meet them.
They're just... Well... You'll see for yourself :p

I think I should replay this game in the near future... Though it's sad that, by the end of the year, it will have fallen in near-total oblivion... Only the couple people who posted in that topic will ever remember this game :yogi:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

L~A wrote:
Quote:

Same for me. I think it gives the game a little 'special something' that really sets it apart.
There's one 'character' I really liked (at least, his 'animations')... I'm sure you'll know who I mean when you meet them.

Hmmm...Ya talking of Roger?
I mean; the moment I saw him I instantly fell in love with his poses.
I mean who could really resist his smiling puppyeyes pose?! :D

Soooo...I heard this game only lasts for 10 days Ami Rite?
If so, then it's kinda shame...I just got this and I'm already at the Day 5.
And the fact that now the weekend/free time began doesn't really help it at all.

So far the plot really is, like people say, bit confusing though interesting,
but I'm just scared that the ending won't be as epic as it's trying to build itself into.

I mean... (just to be sure)
Spoiler:
*I'm not asking to get spoiled; just posting my current thoughts what I think is gonna happen*

Okay...At this point they're trying to make the Johnsson guy way too suspicious,
so I doubt with hi odds that he won't end up as the main villain.

What I'm fearing though is that they go with chlisheish path and make Danny boy the killer.
I mean C'mon! The kid went missing, so basically they could just write "Ya gonna see him soon..." over his missing status.
Now, I think he too has "the power" which he (or the real villain) uses to to get info off the past crimes and is that's how mimicin them so great.
...Well...It doesn't take a detective really to figure that...

Speaking of those past crimes, so far I'm beginning to think that they really were just a random chain of events.
Smith kills Coolidge...for what ever drunken reason I have yet to figure out, and then Isabella kills him for something.
If I understood that scenery completely I guess there was something goingon between them or something like that.
Desmond kills Isabella for some sort of fight or blackmail thing or something like that and in the end the main villain turns out to be J's daddy.
He is psychology professor, maybe he just snapped or something I dunno...I'll know soon I guess.
Maybe Danny found daddys gun and it fired by accident and he just took a hi way out of there or something.
...Or maybe I'm thinking too mmuch and fearing the worst.

Well, I guess I'll find out during this weekend then.

But I really hope they pull out some clever plot twist at the end,
but I'll guess I see soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
Admin
Admin

Zinle wrote:
L~A wrote:
Quote:

Soooo...I heard this game only lasts for 10 days Ami Rite?
If so, then it's kinda shame...I just got this and I'm already at the Day 5.
And the fact that now the weekend/free time began doesn't really help it at all.

So far the plot really is, like people say, bit confusing though interesting,
but I'm just scared that the ending won't be as epic as it's trying to build itself into.

I mean... (just to be sure)
Spoiler:
*I'm not asking to get spoiled; just posting my current thoughts what I think is gonna happen*

Okay...At this point they're trying to make the Johnsson guy way too suspicious,
so I doubt with hi odds that he won't end up as the main villain.

What I'm fearing though is that they go with chlisheish path and make Danny boy the killer.
I mean C'mon! The kid went missing, so basically they could just write "Ya gonna see him soon..." over his missing status.
Now, I think he too has "the power" which he (or the real villain) uses to to get info off the past crimes and is that's how mimicin them so great.
...Well...It doesn't take a detective really to figure that...

Speaking of those past crimes, so far I'm beginning to think that they really were just a random chain of events.
Smith kills Coolidge...for what ever drunken reason I have yet to figure out, and then Isabella kills him for something.
If I understood that scenery completely I guess there was something goingon between them or something like that.
Desmond kills Isabella for some sort of fight or blackmail thing or something like that and in the end the main villain turns out to be J's daddy.
He is psychology professor, maybe he just snapped or something I dunno...I'll know soon I guess.
Maybe Danny found daddys gun and it fired by accident and he just took a hi way out of there or something.
...Or maybe I'm thinking too mmuch and fearing the worst.

Well, I guess I'll find out during this weekend then.

But I really hope they pull out some clever plot twist at the end,
but I'll guess I see soon enough.

If Again had but one problem it was pacing. You're well past that issue. It only becomes more epic from here on out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:08 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Quote:

Yup, he's the one I'm talking about.
What's more, he's not just a weirdo, he's also a really dependable and useful character.
I actually wanted Wooster to make me a random avatar with all of his 'poses', but I don't think we managed to get the animations from the cartridge... they would have made for one awesome avatar, that's for sure :p

And I won't tell whether you're right or wrong about the plot.
As Wooster just said, there's some pacing issues, but you're getting to the good part now.
Just keep playing, and enjoy the scenario which is much better than what you'd think at first :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:39 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Ok, played it after sauna and now I've completed it.
...Surprisingly short game really. Must be the only game I've finised in ~12h.

Well...Whoa...I'm not really sure how I feel right now.
Was the game ground breaking or really epic IMO? No.
Am I glad I played it. Definitely.

I'll use the spoiler tag again just in case and hey....it also saves space. :P
Spoiler:
Okay, theories...Because this game REALLY wanted us to have tons of 'em
and suspect ANYONE.

By some time after writing my previous post here I (don't know whattta heck was I thinking, but still) thought it'd be Roger.
...No; I'm DEAD serious here. I thought for a second that he'd be the mastermind and he had some ill stuf of Johnsson to keep a hold of him.
...Then I began to think simply of: ...But why? ...And that's wen I knew I needed a new suspect.

Then I saw the killer puke and take a pill on the Johnssons murder and I immediately remembered that Henry Mills was ill.
...But then I thought that "...No...They propably wouldn't go there...They've hinted at it allready..." So yeah, I thought it won't be him.

And after that it striked me really odd that people constantly kept saying how J looked ill.
And I was like: "...You BETTER NOT pull that move game...! I'm watching you now!"
I mean...C'mon...!! No more of those games where the main guy is the culprite, but somehow just doesn't remember it.
...Or then the game pretends it went like this while in reality...well...you get the idea.
I'm glad it didn't end like that.

After that comes the part where you talk with Henry and he couches and pukes in front of you and I was like:
"...Either they try too hard now or it really is him..." (suspect points +5 just in case...)
After I gave it a quick thought I actually thought it'd be him. That's make sense.
He's in the lead, never seems to be in the office, he'd clearly be around right age...and...HELLO...HE'S SICK!!
Then I came to first part again; why he needed to kill the past victims? Or how he got them to put the E.o.P on all murder scenes.
...Then I decided that: "You know what; I'll let you be, but I still keep an eye on you...!"

After that came the whole Baslok robbery case and honestly they played this one too safe.
Players aren't really that stupid. I know you needed to make the characters confirm the identities of the four robbers,
but it was still bit ridicilous how long it took them to figure it out and in the end they even were like: "...say WHAAAAT?!"

After that episode they showed that it really was Henry and I was like:
"...I'd be more surprised if they wouldn't have constantly kept hinting at this..."
Soooo...Yeah...
And ten they show that there is one more killer. Te real one.
...And I wasn't so sure of this thing either.

I mean; for first seconds I thought that It'd FINALLY be Danny,
but once seen the suspects clothes I immediately knew it was Eddy...
I mean...He was the only one to use sleeve under the coat...

And I had my suspects of Eddie for long time really.
It's just...I never liked him and he was always so smug that I seriously suspected him the moment I've talked to him.
Well, that and that they never gave him any suspicion...

That's all I can remember in the heat of beating the game.
No big surprisesbut still entertaining as heck.

Now I didn't really find ending that much...like..."WHOAH" -stuff.
Mostly because neitrher of these two things the villain did wasn't new to me.
Some of you know I'm a Hercule Poirot fan and the manipulating the mind of victim was introduced to me in the Curtain -novell.
And as for the "Psyche! Not the final boss" -thing...Um...One game to say here: Persona 4. I rest my case.

--------------------------

Now I really liked how this game looked overally.
It was a solid gamewith nice characters.
Granted, they're nothing like AA characters and don't really give anything that'd separate them from the characters that this game genre allways seems ro give us.
Well okay, Roger is an exception that confirms the rule. He was just awesome and there's no way you wouldn't like him.

Now; I've already mentioned this games music but I say it again.
Nothing perfect, but really fitting and intense.
Repetative; sure, but in a way that they blend to background and you won't mind at all.

And of course the use of this kinda art style was risky and bold move,
but I really grew into it.
I'd like to see more of this kinda artstyle in other DS games too.

Now...the stuff I dind't really like...

Before I forget I want to state; the unexplained things.
These might not be big deal for someones, but they keep bugging me.
First and the most obvious is of course Danny. Was that guy in the end him, or what?
I mean; Don't do this kinda thin gs anymore...Kyle never found Bradley either and it's just killing me...
To know that we never knw what truly happened to him is OK to some people,
but I find this kinda cheap way to keep our attention for the game up.
Especially that we won't get a sequel for this...

Yes. The other thing is; why U no explain why J never saw the faces of Henry and Ed?!
I was expecting some big thing and...nothing.
Am I suposed to just be ok with and idea I got that maybe J couldn't see them because he overused the E.o.P too often in a row?
That'd be the most logical reason, but somehow it feels cheap...

One thing I also didn't like is the lenght of the game.
I mean...12 hours? ...Seriously?
Now; I undesrtand it's really hard to make a novel game that'd be long and interesting.
I totally undesrtand that. But maybe cutting the game to five or six different episodes
where you need to talk more people, investigate more scenes and making the murder scenes more puzzling.
And one episode could be about only one of the victims.
Adding more freedom, jokes and lots of unneeded dialogue of characters or their pasts and stuff would have helped.
I mean, there are some of the characters I'd really like to know more.
Like Roger; we know how he ended up like that but personally I'd like to learn in more specific way.
These things may be just me but just a thought.

Other thing 'bout the game is that it's too easy.
There are some clever traps to decrease your "health meter" but also cheap ones.
For some time after first wrong moves you end up thinking your moves,
but even so it never gets even that challenging as long you keep your eyes open.
Like I said above; more scenes to investigate would have propably made game more interesting.
Even when talking to others and answering their questions wrong doesn't give you any punishment,
since picking the wrong answer never seems to matter.

The final thing I can think ATM is the replay value...I honeslty don't see me replaying this game any soon.
Basically it has pretty much nothing to replay it for. Granted, that's the usual problem with games like these,
but what made AA and Kyle games replayable for me were their characters and humor.
Heck, even Another Code turns into harder after you beat it once.
But this game is pretty much like Jake Hunter or Secret Files Tunguska...If I ever end up playing those, it's just to kill time.
Well...Actually I don't mind playing J.H again, since it was OK, but the statement still stands.
It doesn't give as more than one ending, the choices you make do no difference and overally the games run to point A and then B and then C isn't revarding enough to do it again anytime soon.

Now; I know I may seem to only nag of this game,
but onestly I don't think it's that bad.
If you're new to this gaming genre; that's where you get most of this,
but even if you'd played Hotel Dusk before it won't make it bad. Maybe even better so.

So...I guess that's my opinnion of the game.
It's not anything spectacular and far from perfect,
but stil worth playing and the first time you play it it's really cool.
Glad I found out about it, glad I bought it, glad I played it, glad I experienced it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:41 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 世界中
I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got my hands on this game :phoenix:
It's not as good Hotel Dusk, but it's still interesting.
I'm up to
Spoiler:
the point in which the second murder in the present has just happened.

I'm looking forward to seeing the twists everyone is talking about...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

Custom Title: 1000% Knight
TheBaronAndEma wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the twist everyone is talking about...

fix'd

and I think you're going to get to it soon...
unless you already passed it and were just super-underwhelmed. I forget when it happens exactly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds
I've owned this game for a couple of years but I never played it until now.

EDIT: Finished the game today! Here's my mini-review:
(Just for reference, here's my current record with CiNG games:
Didn't like Trace Memory for the lack of story, shot length, and artificial puzzles. The first time I actually hated it, but I didn't hate it as much when I replayed it.
Liked Hotel Dusk, thought the characters were great but the plot wasn't as thrilling as it should have been)

I really liked this game, despite the bad reviews. I got the game for free during a gamestop promotion when I bought some 3DS games. Didn't expect much, especially since I had just played trace memory and didn't like it. I decided to pick it up recently when I didn't have an adventure game to play. Boy, am I glad I did!

When I first bought the game, I thought it used a lesser form of Full Motion Video like a lot of the old PC adventure games I play. I was a little disappointed that they are basically animated gifs with somewhat jittery motion. Also, for some reason most of the characters' "in the middle of speaking, please press the screen for more text" is a frame where they look awkward, which makes it look a little weird. However, within 30 or 40 minutes I got used to it and it didn't bother me. I didn't think the game had a bad pacing problem in the beginning like others on this topic thought. In fact, playing that first investigation of the game in the middle of the night was very creepy and made me want to keep playing. I thought the investigation parts were great, even though they at first were simply spot the differences kind of things. The music in the game ranges from great to unmemorable (the main melody used in investigations is very nice and creepy.) Seeing the neon green remnants of the vicim and killer never cease to be creepy, and as soon as the immense eeriness of the visions becomes normal, they focus instead on making them interesting and exciting.

The story is fairly predictable after the big plot twist early in the game, but there's still the question of why it's happening and that still makes you want to keep playing. I did feel like they started to reveal the traits of the main antagonist too clearly in the visions too early on, so it went from PLOT TWIST to knowing what happens to IT DIDN'T HAPPEN WHAT'S GOING ON to Oh, that's what happened. Simply trimming a couple frames off the video would have made it even more mysterious and would have fit the ending a little better.

The characters aren't as interesting as in Hotel Dusk or Phoenix Wright, but the plot is the major thing here and it succeeds. The characters are very similar to Mulder and Scully in the first season of the X-Files: They have these interesting parts of their backstories but they play out as kind of bland, uninteresting characters. Eventually Mulder and Scully grew into their characters, but this is a video game so even though J and Kate don't get any more three-dimensional it doesn't matter.

I had no issues with the ending, except that I thought the cliffhanger dialogue was a little too direct - it would have been more interesting if it was more vague.

The game plays and feels a lot like the old Tex Murphy PC games, both in how the mysteries are handled and how the investigation scenes plan out. I liked Again a lot more than those games though. Not only that, but I thought Again was better than Hotel Dusk and a LOT better than Trace Memory.

Yes, the characters talk in cliched ways, the live action stills are a little weird, and the game is pretty short, but for $20 or less I totally recommend it. The reason I like Ace Attorney so much is that I get addicted to the mystery and story developments. I'll play for hours and it takes up most of my time. I've played many other Adventure DS games like Jake Hunter and Professor Layton and while I like those I don't get addicted. I liked Hotel Dusk but I didn't get addicted to it. I got addicted to Again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 世界中
Just finished the game today!

Wasn't the best game but wasn't the worst either. The ending was interesting, but I can't help but feel that Cing meant to make a sequel.

Spoiler:
After all, do we really know what happened to Danny? IIRC J says he remembers Ed taking him?
Speaking of Ed, what a evil mofo. I feel like him and Dahlia would get along well...
Thank goodness they aren't in the same universe. :phoenix:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9