Last visit was:
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brian Bradley [Spoilers]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Custom Title: ..Bradleh?
Alright. A bit of a serious topic. Or at least one that could spawn a decent discussion.

Throughout the duration of Hotel Dusk, we only know Bradley to be the traitorous ex-partner to Kyle Hyde. Bradley screwed everyone; Bradley ran off; Disappeared without a trace.
It's pretty easy to think Bradley's an asshole at this point.

Progressing forward to the end, however, you come to understand Brian's motives and reasoning behind his backstabbing: Mila. The man's little sister had been taken hostage so he had little to no choice, and when he finally thought he had her back, she was already dead.

I've recently been working on a doujin script where Brian and Mila interact, and I came to realize...

I REALLY feel bad for Bradley.

And I didn't feel bad for him throughout that entire game, even at the end. I was more like, "What the Hell. Why isn't he here?!" When I thought about it further, Brian got a shitty raw deal out of all of this, and at least had the decency to try and help Hyde understand why this all happened.

Bearing that in mind, how did you feel about Bradley's character, and his situation once we understood it?

Post subject: Re: Brian Bradley [Spoilers]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:04 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Scientifically Magical Detective O_o
I never really hated him, the way Kyle talked about him made me think that Bradley wouldn't have screwed him over without a good reason. Instead of being pissed at him I was super interested in WHY he did what he did.

Then when I found out what happened I just wanted to snuggle his face off, since he really wasn't a bad guy after all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:45 pm 
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness

Custom Title: Feel the wrath of Canadian lumber!
Spoiler: I'm a skittish sort, I guess...
*shrug* Bradley seemed like a horrible person... I hated him for killing Danny (I sound like Louie there, but it's true!)
Given his circumstances, he's Ok... but he could have shown Danny a little mercy.
We don't know if Danny's death was ordered or not, I know, but STILL. The guy was in the same boat as Bradley, for Pete's sake!

LouiexDanny: More epic than KylexBradley by half.
I also support Louie DeNonno x Henry Townshend. Hurrah for crack pairings!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:42 pm 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

tenshi_no_kioku wrote:
Spoiler: I'm a skittish sort, I guess...
*shrug* Bradley seemed like a horrible person... I hated him for killing Danny (I sound like Louie there, but it's true!)
Given his circumstances, he's Ok... but he could have shown Danny a little mercy.
We don't know if Danny's death was ordered or not, I know, but STILL. The guy was in the same boat as Bradley, for Pete's sake!

Danny wasn't in the same boat. Nile didn't have anything on him and he just got greedy and tried to make some extra cash.

I feel bad for Louie, but not for Danny. He knew what he was doing and he thought he could get away with it. And, yes, Nile ordered Bradley to kill him for being a traitor. He had to be in compliance to insure Mila's safety (Which was gone by that point anyway).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:12 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Scientifically Magical Detective O_o
Bradley killed Danny thinking that it would get him his sister back. He had no idea his sister was already dead, and I highly doubt that if he already knew that he would've never killed Danny. He had to choose between Danny and his sister, and went with the obvious choice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:44 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: True love is forever.
I agree with Arei actually. Despite the fact that everything we know about him in the beginning was negative, I thought Bradley was presented in a rather sympathetic manner even before we find the truth. I mean, the feeling I got from Kyle, was that even he didn't hate Bradley despite the fact that it would have been very easy for him to do so considering the circumstances. I kind of ended up reading into this and assumed that if Kyle still believed in him, there had to be a decent reason for what happened. Otherwise I couldn't see him inspiring that kind of loyalty from Kyle (whom I didn't think was the type to be easily fooled). As a result, I was more curious about him than anything else. And by the end, I wanted to cry for him. Poor Bradley!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

When I watched the opening again, I wondered how I missed Bradley's whisper for his sister and Kyle's broken expression after he shot him in the first place. So Bradley was, as said, presented rather sympathetically. Hell, he didn't even get a word in.

But excellent points placed.

One thing I have to somewhat disagree with is Kyle's loyalty. He wasn't so much trying to find Bradley just to find him: He wanted an answer. Whether Kyle's intention was to forgive him and regain their past relationship (Or at least salvage what was left) is breathlessly left in the air until the end of the game.
If you notice with the progression, everytime he starts internal monologing to Bradley it slowly evolves into that loyalty you mentioned through his words. His initial thoughts primarily revolve around just getting answers so he can move on with his life. Near the end, he has his answers, but still chooses to follow him. That's when I noticed his devotion the most.

What a good dog, Kyle Hyde!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:14 am 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Custom Title: The hope that shines through despair.
Bradley is Bill Edward from Trace Memory. THINK ABOUT IT.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: True love is forever.
Mikenno wrote:
One thing I have to somewhat disagree with is Kyle's loyalty. He wasn't so much trying to find Bradley just to find him: He wanted an answer. Whether Kyle's intention was to forgive him and regain their past relationship (Or at least salvage what was left) is breathlessly left in the air until the end of the game.
If you notice with the progression, everytime he starts internal monologing to Bradley it slowly evolves into that loyalty you mentioned through his words. His initial thoughts primarily revolve around just getting answers so he can move on with his life.

See where I get loyalty is the fact that Kyle is working under the assumption that there is an answer beyond he's a criminal and a backstabber (which considering the circumstances, is a perfectly reasonable conclusion). The reason he can't move on is because this was so out of character for Bradley and Kyle trusted him so deeply that he can't accept that Bradley simply did it without a decent reason. This very assumption played into how I viewed Bradley because, as I said, I rather trusted Kyle's judgement on the guy. If he couldn't believe it, then I had trouble believing it as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:55 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Custom Title: Searching for Big Whoop.
I really liked Bradley. From the very beginning and into the very end.
I liked him when we first got to know about him, and in the end I loved him even more.
He was an interesting character, he gave me something to think about. He's mysterious, I like that...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Doesn't know how to ride a bike D:
I was thinking the same thing. Bradley didn't at all seem to be the murderous traitor that he was. I mean, if Kyle had enough reason to go out of his way to actually look for why it had happened that way, you'd think it's because Bradley was a pretty cool guy before, right? He's searching for the truth because he believes that Bradley wouldn't do something like that. You can see in Kyle the amount of trust he must've placed in the guy. The only time I really did despise Bradley was when Louie was talking about Danny. Once you find out the circumstances, the hate just slowly dissipates and you just find Bradley, desperate to save his sister.

The obvious truth is that Nile's pretty much the one who "screwed everyone up", not Bradley.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:43 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Location: In court, sneaking up on you when you least expect it.
Custom Title: Akon tickets, front row, middle section.
I remember that my first reaction when I played through the game was 'Where the hell is Bradley? I thought he'd be here... hiding somewhere..." and that letter at the end just pissed me off. But after playing the game a couple times, I grew to realize that sometimes things are better left unknown. Being greedy, searching for all these answers to problems and trying to chase someone down is wrong, because all it causes is pain. Look what Kyle's search for Bradley turned him into. The cold, somewhat depressed character we play as in the game. Bradley just prolly wanted to make a couple bucks when he joined up Nile, and then if memory serves right, they stole his sister away because they're evil like that.