Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 2 of 6[ 208 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Could the new Prosecutor be a familiar face...?Topic%20Title

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Neni wrote:
Yaragorm wrote:
Lady you just blew my mind. Weren't you also the one who came up with that Apollo-is-Damon-Gant's-son theory?

Except this one has the higher chance of being confirmed/disproved but still, very interesting idea...

No, the Gant theory was Pleady. It was part of the reason I found this forum in first place. X'D

But thanks! I'm glad people find the ideas as intruiging as I do!

Whoops. My mistake. I guess I just remember all your comments on there.

But yeah, my ONLY reason to believe that Apollo won't be the prosecutor is because I am unsure if the AAI team would do so much to change his character out of respect for Shu Takumi or something. I dunno, maybe they totally did get his approval on that so we'll just have to see...
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Neni wrote:
Story of my life, ahahaha, I can't even say anything against that, because I totally know you are right. X'D

Believe me, your writings are very enjoyable. I just casually happened upon these forums, and I was immediately drawn in, mainly thanks to the Sporking Theater.

Quote:
I'm rambling too much. My point is that, yes, my interpretation may make him too less like a dedicated Defense Attorney, but I think yours is going too far into the other direction. He's proably somewhere in the middle of both...

I reread my post after I submitted it, and I may have overdone it. Whoops. Yes, it's much more than simple emotional attachment, given that Nick and Pollo take very different approaches to their jobs. Nick is just that much of a sap sometimes. In fact, Pollo may be the better lawyer by not becoming too personal with his cases, since attorneys are supposed to be amoral (not immoral, mind you). I could understand Nick's mindset at the end of AJ; he's been doing some self-reflection those 7 years and in my headcanon, thwarting Pearl's attempts at consulting marriage contracts. It's too bad we haven't had enough background on Apollo to come to any concrete character interpretation.

Quote:
Oh, and with the thing in the spoilerbox, I agree completly and fully, except that I wouldn't consider it "betrayal" if Apollo turn his back on Phoenix. Phoenix played him like a chesspiece all along. It's true, he led Apollo by the hand a lot, at the same time, however, he also downright *controlled* the boy and left him largely in the dark about almost everything.
If Apollo left, I would maybe consider it as a betrayal towards Trucy (Who really, truly and deeply seems to love him as a fraternal figure), depending on the circumstances, but not towards Phoenix. Phoenix is in dire need to be harshly confronted with some of his less-than-OK actions in AJ, I think.

"Betrayal" is a strong word. I should have opted for "disproportionate spontaneity." It's a bit sad to think about how much of a fool Apollo is played as, but in the end, even he doesn't mind what shady business Nick has been up to then. What seems to matter more to him is that he's gradually gathered a friendly group for himself. It makes me wonder if he had a lonely childhood. Nick at least had a short adult and a goofball very faithful pair for company.

But I have to respectfully disagree with the harsh reprimands. It took Nick 7 whole years to set in motion a plan that would not only benefit himself, but many others as well. I take it that Trucy, even if she wasn't told explicitly, suspected it to an extent. (Suddenly, the picture of Phoenix and Trucy fishing for Apollo becomes literal. The fact the Japanese text even uses the verb for 'to fish' only imprints it deeper.) Ah, well. It all somehow worked out.

EDIT: Oh, man. Now the image of a list titled "Ways to Screw with Kristoph" comes to mind. He'd done lots of thinking 'bout that.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Quote:
Choosing an occupation based on hero worship, without thinking it through. Granted, Nick kinda, sorta did the same thing, but it happened to work out for him, because it happened to complement his ideals and personality.

Wait, wait, wait, wait.... Granted, Nick thought of going into law due to the classroom case when he was around 9. But didn't he sort of half-way give up on his idea of becoming a lawyer, seeing as how his major was Art in college and "only" a minor in Law? Plus, wasn't his real strong-pull to become a lawyer to "save" Edgeworth?

And I love your description of Apollo's character. Sure made me realize what it is about him that seemed "wrong" to me. Although it's also true that he gets a lot more help than Phoenix, mainly because he is Phoenix' .... prodigy?

C-A

OBJECTION!

MAYBE, if he's a prosecutor then he'll be a good guy prosecutor like Klavier, I cant see him being a badass.
Maybe he became disillusioned with the Jury system or something... I dunno, in some ways I cant imagine it.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Believe me, your writings are very enjoyable. I just casually happened upon these forums, and I was immediately drawn in, mainly thanks to the Sporking Theater.

I reread my post after I submitted it, and I may have overdone it. Whoops. Yes, it's much more than simple emotional attachment, given that Nick and Pollo take very different approaches to their jobs. Nick is just that much of a sap sometimes. In fact, Pollo may be the better lawyer by not becoming too personal with his cases, since attorneys are supposed to be amoral (not immoral, mind you). I could understand Nick's mindset at the end of AJ; he's been doing some self-reflection those 7 years and in my headcanon, thwarting Pearl's attempts at consulting marriage contracts. It's too bad we haven't had enough background on Apollo to come to any concrete character interpretation.

"Betrayal" is a strong word. I should have opted for "disproportionate spontaneity." It's a bit sad to think about how much of a fool Apollo is played as, but in the end, even he doesn't mind what shady business Nick has been up to then. What seems to matter more to him is that he's gradually gathered a friendly group for himself. It makes me wonder if he had a lonely childhood. Nick at least had a short adult and a goofball very faithful pair for company.

But I have to respectfully disagree with the harsh reprimands. It took Nick 7 whole years to set in motion a plan that would not only benefit himself, but many others as well. I take it that Trucy, even if she wasn't told explicitly, suspected it to an extent. (Suddenly, the picture of Phoenix and Trucy fishing for Apollo becomes literal. The fact the Japanese text even uses the verb for 'to fish' only imprints it deeper.) Ah, well. It all somehow worked out.

EDIT: Oh, man. Now the image of a list titled "Ways to Screw with Kristoph" comes to mind. He'd done lots of thinking 'bout that.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you enjoy my writing. I think a certain creativity is about the only real talent I have, so I try to treasure it. :keiko:

True, in the real world, Apollo would definitely be the more competent lawyer, because his approach is more realistic, but this is a fantasy world where trials are treated like big battles of destiny, so I guess he ends up kinda being "Wrong Genre Savy"? X'D

And yeah, a lot about Apollo is still open to interpretation, due to lack of information about his past. My personal headcanon is that he was always good hearted, but kind of a loner. I see him as the kind of kid who'd not play a lot with others because he has a hard time conforming, being as stubborn and hot-headed as he is, but immediately step in when he sees a dispute that he thinks needs "Outside settlement". I can see him getting into a lot of trouble just from trying to meddle with other kids' business. He also kinda strikes me as a distrustful type, who wouldn't let people come close to him all that easily, unless he decides he wants them to and who'd be relucatant to accept help out of pride, but always ready to (maybe disgruntled) offer help himself, because of his ideals.

Mind, that's just my interpretation. AA characters tend to go through huge personality changes in certain stages of their lives. The only notable exceptions from that I have seen so far were Trucy and Tsukasa Oyashiki from GK2. Unless we actually get to see Teen!Pollo some time, there's really no telling what he was like.

CatMuto wrote:

Wait, wait, wait, wait.... Granted, Nick thought of going into law due to the classroom case when he was around 9. But didn't he sort of half-way give up on his idea of becoming a lawyer, seeing as how his major was Art in college and "only" a minor in Law? Plus, wasn't his real strong-pull to become a lawyer to "save" Edgeworth?

I agree, totally, but I wanted to make sure that if anybody wanted to argue the point that Nick's actions *could* be interepreted as Hero-Worshipping as well, I had mentioned the point.

grim_tales wrote:
MAYBE, if he's a prosecutor then he'll be a good guy prosecutor like Klavier, I cant see him being a badass.
Maybe he became disillusioned with the Jury system or something... I dunno, in some ways I cant imagine it.

I think having him become disillusioned with the Jury System would be the most local route to take.
And I disagree, I can really see Apollo acting really harsh and maybe even resentful. He never was a big softie like Nick, he always had a certain "aggresion" in everything he did, even when he was scared. I think if you give him the right push, he could easily go onto rival terretory, though, of course, he'd not betray his ideals. He'd still be fighting for Justice, Truth, and all that stuff...

Oh, and whenever someone says "I can't imagine character X acting like Y", I just say:

This.

And this.

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Good point, Neni. Nick was veeery talkative when he was younger, then less talkative and more serious, later more serious than ever and now returned to his attorney self.

Let's look at this in the context of previous GS trailers.

Showing the new prosecutor in silhouette at the end of the first teaser has been series protocol since 2003, so it's safe to assume that this mysterious silhouette is, indeed, our new prosecutor. Most of you seem to be treating this as a given already, so I'm not going to push this too hard.

The main thing I want you to consider, however, is the way Phoenix was treated in the earliest promotional material for GS4. In the initial teaser trailer, while not explicitly named as Phoenix Wright, he's plainly visible, and while his iconic spiky hair and eyebrows are hidden, there are intentional enough hints about his person that an astute fan could see it and say, "Whoa, is that Phoenix in that hobo outfit?" If I remember correctly, they kept a point of maintaining the "ruse" for a while, having the early Famitsu reports call him "???" and caption him with something disingenuous like "Could this mystery man be recognizable to long-time fans......?!"

This was an intentional move on Capcom's part, calculated to assure fans of the series that Phoenix would not fall by the wayside after the change of protagonist, but in such a way as to cause speculation in the fanbase over the enigma presented by his change in status.

The point I'm making is that if Capcom was going to do something clever like having a returning character such as Apollo be the game's prosecutor, while they'd make a point of not being explicit about it at first, they'd have every reason to place hints to make that fact easily guessable from the outset. Now, Neni has connected the hints at the end of trailer to Apollo quite thoroughly, but the other side of that hypothesis strains credulity to say the least. Can you honestly picture a bunch of people at Capcom sitting down and agreeing that feathers and grey skies are the best way to let people know that Apollo Justice is in this game?

Neni's argument presupposes that Apollo is the game's prosecutor, and the interpretations of the evidence that she uses to support this hypothesis are contrived at best. Looking at the evidence impartially, there's little to suggest any connection to established characters. I'm not gonna this busted just yet, but I'm confident it'll be relegated to the same dustbin as pretty much every other "Character X is Character Y" guess soon enough.

Woolbeast Material wrote:
Let's look at this in the context of previous GS trailers.

Showing the new prosecutor in silhouette at the end of the first teaser has been series protocol since 2003, so it's safe to assume that this mysterious silhouette is, indeed, our new prosecutor. Most of you seem to be treating this as a given already, so I'm not going to push this too hard.

The main thing I want you to consider, however, is the way Phoenix was treated in the earliest promotional material for GS4. In the initial teaser trailer, while not explicitly named as Phoenix Wright, he's plainly visible, and while his iconic spiky hair and eyebrows are hidden, there are intentional enough hints about his person that an astute fan could see it and say, "Whoa, is that Phoenix in that hobo outfit?" If I remember correctly, they kept a point of maintaining the "ruse" for a while, having the early Famitsu reports call him "???" and caption him with something disingenuous like "Could this mystery man be recognizable to long-time fans......?!"

This was an intentional move on Capcom's part, calculated to assure fans of the series that Phoenix would not fall by the wayside after the change of protagonist, but in such a way as to cause speculation in the fanbase over the enigma presented by his change in status.

The point I'm making is that if Capcom was going to do something clever like having a returning character such as Apollo be the game's prosecutor, while they'd make a point of not being explicit about it at first, they'd have every reason to place hints to make that fact easily guessable from the outset. Now, Neni has connected the hints at the end of trailer to Apollo quite thoroughly, but the other side of that hypothesis strains credulity to say the least. Can you honestly picture a bunch of people at Capcom sitting down and agreeing that feathers and grey skies are the best way to let people know that Apollo Justice is in this game?

Neni's argument presupposes that Apollo is the game's prosecutor, and the interpretations of the evidence that she uses to support this hypothesis are contrived at best. Looking at the evidence impartially, there's little to suggest any connection to established characters. I'm not gonna this busted just yet, but I'm confident it'll be relegated to the same dustbin as pretty much every other "Character X is Character Y" guess soon enough.

Naturally, you are right. There is a high possibility that this theory is wrong. However, the purpose of this theory was never to "Make it happen" to beginn with. Fantheories serve nothing but the ammusement and creative stimulation of the fan. That's what makes them fun. That's how good Fanfic and Fanart are often born. I'm not trying to somehow "make" this become true simply by convincingly argueing for it, I'm trying to fill gaps until we get the fitting plug. If the plug we get happens to be simmilar to the one I forged myself, of course, I'd be very pleasantly surprised, but that's really a thing of pure luck. :redd:

Regarding your arguementation, however, I'd like to remind you that we are dealing with Apollo here, not Nick. Nick being removed from Main Character status was a big thing that was expected to potentially cause a split in the fanbase, so naturally they wanted to leave enough hints that Nick is still in so old fans wouldn't write GS4 off right from the get-go. This is different, Apollo is not considered "the face" of the series and I doubt Capcom really realizes what kind of strong followship the little guy has developed over they years. Changing Apollo's status would not be considered such a "Radical shift" that it has to be shown right away or the game would loose potential sales... At least not in Capcom's eyes. Further, Nick was already present in Case 1, unlike the new Mystery!Prosecutor, who is probably not going to show up before 5-2. I would like to remind you that Klavier, too, was only shown briefly in the initial TGS presentation, flashing for less than 2 seconds, just like Mystery!Silhouette... except you could see his face back then. Mystery!Silhouette's face is shrouded in darkness for some reason. That's part of what intruiges me so much.

The GS5 presentation had different focuses. They showed as much information as they needed to show to get fans hyped. And that were Nick (most important!), Kokone and the Heartscope. More wasn't really needed. More would have been too much. Everything else will be revealed with time. :garyuu:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

I've got to admit the fact the top of (his) head is blurred out is... 'interesting'.

However I think if if WAS Apollo there'd be some clue as they'd be desperate to fuel speculation. The only clue we have is this FEATHER. There might be some connection I don't understand but I sure don't associate 'Apollo' and 'Feather'. Also, Apollo's hair has undergone a very dramatic change. In this game, people put on a hat or a mask to conceal things, or have minor modifications. (In fact the asymmetrical silhouette full stop is odd, looks like the 'guy' is wearing a Kokone-like earing, but that can't be true.)

Also the fact it's new writers they probably consider Apollo 'Takumi's Character' and are less likely to do something 'revolutionary' with him, the way Phoenix was avoided in GK1/2. Obviously they have 'official permission' to do whatever with Phoenix these days but they might try to step around significant development on other characters.

Woolbeast Material wrote:

I don't think this alone sinks the Apollo argument as Hobo Phoenix was THE HOOK to sell the GS4 game, that's WHY THE MARKETERS DEMANDED TO RETURN HIM. Here Lawyer Phoenix is the hook yet again, BUT Prosecutor Apollo would be to raise additional fan interest but not THE MARKETING HOOK the way the horror of HoboPhoenix was. So if Apollo was prosecutor there's no need to 'excite' the fans at this point.

Given people have drawn the exact same silhouette into an Older Edgeworth (who also has zero association to feathers that I've heard of - what if Edgey took up falconry? I wish I could take up falconry!) and this is more likely given these are the GK Writers, (especially if this silhouette is not The Main Prosecutor) but the 3rd option someone new (or even some random GK/2 character reborn) seems the best assumption at this point. Prosecutor Apollo WOULD have been an excellent idea and plausible character development and actually made him interesting, but I doubt it's happening this game. I'd advise to pretend it happened after the 4-4 Bad End and write a fanfic.
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

icer wrote:
I've got to admit the fact the top of (his) head is blurred out is... 'interesting'.

However I think if if WAS Apollo there'd be some clue as they'd be desperate to fuel speculation. The only clue we have is this FEATHER. There might be some connection I don't understand but I sure don't associate 'Apollo' and 'Feather'. Also, Apollo's hair has undergone a very dramatic change. In this game, people put on a hat or a mask to conceal things, or have minor modifications. (In fact the asymmetrical silhouette full stop is odd, looks like the 'guy' is wearing a Kokone-like earing, but that can't be true.)

A connection could be drawn in that Polly's hairantenna's have previously been noted by people to look like feathers and (more significantly to me) that the feather looks like an eagle feather, and eagles are birds known for their extraordinarily precise and good eyesight. It's not much, I admit that, but still makes for some fun speculation.

As for the change in hairstyle, this wouldn't be the first time they conceal someone's identity by changing their hair. They did the same for Nick, by hiding his under the beanie, and for Misty Fey, who was given a completly different hairstyle to be unrecognizable as the woman from the picture on game 1.

However, you pointing out that one of the curls looks like it could maybe be an earring intruiges me. The Prosecutor being connected to Kokone could also make for some good plot. (Though, I would really rather have the game tie back to earlier entries than have it be like AJ or AAI and tell a 100% unrelated plot... :yuusaku: )

Neni wrote:
A connection could be drawn in that Polly's hairantenna's have previously been noted by people to look like feathers and (more significantly to me) that the feather looks like an eagle feather, and eagles are birds known for their extraordinarily precise and good eyesight.

Aren't eagles the type of birds represented with truth? And freedom! Freedom! *insert american flag flapping in wind* Maybe this is a good guy prosecutor - although Klavier never struck me as a good guy prosecutor. More like a prosecutor who does it as a day-job in between gigs. He never seemed very serious about his law job.

C-A

Quote:
He never seemed very serious about his law job.

With 4-4 in mind, people can differ with you. Of course, one could also interpret it as Klavier trying to get the skeletons out of the closet, as he would put it (I'm referring to when he helps Apollo confront Kristoph). Anyhow, whether or not Klavier is a pro-truth Prosecutor, there's no way of telling until we're given more of his character (which I would like to see him in GS5). He has an opportunity (or two if the game has five cases) to act as prosecuting attorney.

OBJECTION!

Klavier seemed a good (as in good guy) prosecutor IMO, he was annoying in the flashback case of AJ but then Nick was a pompous ass as well :(

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitipiui wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
Klavier seemed a good (as in good guy) prosecutor IMO, he was annoying in the flashback case of AJ but then Nick was a pompous ass as well :(

Everyone is OOC in 4-Flashback. Period.

I beg to disagree.

Gumshoe was perfectly in-character, given how confident he must have been, seeing how Nick FOR ONCE had a client again who wasn't either a wimp or Maya (and you have to remember, whenever it turns out the investigations brought a wrong suspect to trial, it's not just the prosecutor who gets the blame, but the Detective too, so Gumshoe HAD a reason to look forward to actually getting one of Nick's clients declared guilty for once, friendship or not.)

Nick was overconfident, but that was the point of the whole disbarment thing: After Mia's declaration that he was awesome in 3-5, Nick seemingly let this go to his head and the result is his behaviour in 4-4. Don't say letting praise go to his head is OoC for Nick. I can name at least a dozen of instances where it shows very well that he, in fact, can overestimate himself in certain situations, as soon as game 1. ("Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!", anyone?) We are just so used to seeing him totally deperate that we tend to forget that. In 4-4, Nick was all on his own and he knew that. So what do you think he probably did all night before the trial starts, seeing how his client wasn't just counting on him, but also had a little girl of Pearl's age who would likely be (and was) orphaned if Nick failed? I guess he probably kept telling himself "I can do this, I am a great attorney, I can do this, I am a great attorney." He acted overconfident, because he NEEDED confidence for a big, difficult case like this. It just ended up not working out in his favor...

As for Klavier, he was seventeen and had just gotten his badge. That's not called "Acting out of Character", that's called "Being an immature teenager".

OBJECTION!

Fair enough re Klavier, I didnt mean he was OOC, he was just annoying then in Flashback AJ.
"Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!" ? When does Nick say that? I agree I can think of quite a few times when Nick appears to bluff his way out of a deep hole when things get tough but cant remember him getting as confident as in 4-4, maybe 3-2 is a possible one?

Neni wrote:
Pitipiui wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

Everyone is OOC in 4-Flashback. Period.

I beg to disagree.

Gumshoe was perfectly in-character, given how confident he must have been, seeing how Nick FOR ONCE had a client again who wasn't either a wimp or Maya (and you have to remember, whenever it turns out the investigations brought a wrong suspect to trial, it's not just the prosecutor who gets the blame, but the Detective too, so Gumshoe HAD a reason to look forward to actually getting one of Nick's clients declared guilty for once, friendship or not.)

Nick was overconfident, but that was the point of the whole disbarment thing: After Mia's declaration that he was awesome in 3-5, Nick seemingly let this go to his head and the result is his behaviour in 4-4. Don't say letting praise go to his head is OoC for Nick. I can name at least a dozen of instances where it shows very well that he, in fact, can overestimate himself in certain situations, as soon as game 1. ("Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!", anyone?) We are just so used to seeing him totally deperate that we tend to forget that. In 4-4, Nick was all on his own and he knew that. So what do you think he probably did all night before the trial starts, seeing how his client wasn't just counting on him, but also had a little girl of Pearl's age who would likely be (and was) orphaned if Nick failed? I guess he probably kept telling himself "I can do this, I am a great attorney, I can do this, I am a great attorney." He acted overconfident, because he NEEDED confidence for a big, difficult case like this. It just ended up not working out in his favor...

As for Klavier, he was seventeen and had just gotten his badge. That's not called "Acting out of Character", that's called "Being an immature teenager".

Some people need to understand that there is a wide variety of characters. There are the serious, happy, annoying, immature, etc. Young!Klavier was the immature character of the AJ crew, and he had reasons to be one (seventeen, good-looking, prosecutor and lead-singer to a band). Through the period of seven years, one could say he matured, seeing as how he's one of the prosecutors the office chooses to attend murder cases and his band-hobby turned into an actual job, meaning he had two jobs, as in, he had to mature sooner or later.

grim_tales wrote:
"Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!" ? When does Nick say that? I agree I can think of quite a few times when Nick appears to bluff his way out of a deep hole when things get tough but cant remember him getting as confident as in 4-4, maybe 3-2 is a possible one?

I'm quite sure she didn't mean he actualy said "Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!". I mean, just imagine Nick saying that.... :paynehair:
As for him acting overconfident or stupid, well, I can't say I know what Neni was thinking of, but I can think of something:

:object: : This evidence I haven't told anyone else about clearly shows you're connected to the crime, and I'm pretty sure you're the killer!
:bling-bling: : Thank you for bringing that to my attention, and bringing it over to here. Now I can get rid of both it and you at the same time.

...to name just one moment.
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

The cape is self-fluttering

beterbomen wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

I'm quite sure she didn't mean he actualy said "Sherlock Holmes 2, baby!". I mean, just imagine Nick saying that.... :paynehair:

You don't need to imagine what indeed happened.

http://youtu.be/8yBy_zMWBgg?t=2m44s
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Quote:

Yeah, his expression and text all indicate he had an air of overconfidence there.

Quote:
:object: : This evidence I haven't told anyone else about clearly shows you're connected to the crime, and I'm pretty sure you're the killer!
:bling-bling: : Thank you for bringing that to my attention, and bringing it over to here. Now I can get rid of both it and you at the same time.

...to name just one moment.

Yep, he's been overconfident all right.

Adrian in black wrote:

Um, didn't he know he just invented that tale out of thin air? He was pinning the murder on Oldbag to stall for time, as he was aware.
Then the judge congratulates him on what he made up on the spur of the moment as 'excellent deductive reasoning', which triggers this preening.
Then he wonders why Edgeworth isn't objecting to his tale, and gets confused. So he's perfectly aware his tale isn't 'infalliable'.

In 4-4's 'flashback' he's just arrogant most of the time. He's also totally condescending of Klavier and appears to think he's no threat whatsoever.

(Also, he was right, the reasoning just had to be applied to someone other than Oldbag)

Also, Gumshoe wasn't just confident, he was suddenly obsessed with 'winning' and 'beating' Phoenix, like he's suddenly a Von Karma. Since this side of him was never shown before, ever, and there was utterly no explanation of this sudden 'change', it was just jarring and convenient. There was no reasoning given behind it! (No, it was not a New Years Resolution, it's Apr 29!)

Phoenix in 1-2 was acting like a naive idiot, but the point is that was 1-2. He was new at this. GS3, on the other hand, was big on impressing on us how Phoenix had matured not only over the games but since his naive Feenie days, all since he met Mia.

icer wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

Um, didn't he know he just invented that tale out of thin air? He was pinning the murder on Oldbag to stall for time, as he was aware.
Then the judge congratulates him on what he made up on the spur of the moment as 'excellent deductive reasoning', which triggers this preening.
Then he wonders why Edgeworth isn't objecting to his tale, and gets confused. So he's perfectly aware his tale isn't 'infalliable'.

In 4-4's 'flashback' he's just arrogant most of the time. He's also totally condescending of Klavier and appears to think he's no threat whatsoever.

(Also, he was right, the reasoning just had to be applied to someone other than Oldbag)

Also, Gumshoe wasn't just confident, he was suddenly obsessed with 'winning' and 'beating' Phoenix, like he's suddenly a Von Karma. Since this side of him was never shown before, ever, and there was utterly no explanation of this sudden 'change', it was just jarring and convenient. There was no reasoning given behind it! (No, it was not a New Years Resolution, it's Apr 29!)

Phoenix in 1-2 was acting like a naive idiot, but the point is that was 1-2. He was new at this. GS3, on the other hand, was big on impressing on us how Phoenix had matured not only over the games but since his naive Feenie days, all since he met Mia.

That doesn't change my previous arguement that 4-4 was a special situation for Phoenix, since it was the first case he approached entirely without any means of turning to Mia (previously he's always had a Spirit Medium with him), thought giant expectations were resting upon his shoulders due to Mia's praise and declaration of his adulthood just two months prior and also, we all know what Klavier acted like. Imagine you are fighting an important battle of sorts, previously pumped yourself high on self-confidence so you wouldn't falter and then you face an pretentious teen who could run for the title of Douche of the Year. Klavier started acting like he was the best thing since sliced bread as soon as he entered the courtroom. In Nick's place I'd have felt intellectually superior and acted accordingly as well, seriously!

Neni wrote:

That doesn't change my previous arguement that 4-4 was a special situation for Phoenix, since it was the first case he approached entirely without any means of turning to Mia (previously he's always had a Spirit Medium with him), thought giant expectations were resting upon his shoulders due to Mia's praise and declaration of his adulthood just two months prior and also, we all know what Klavier acted like.

Oh yeah, but they sure don't plot it in a reasonable fashion. Phoenix never muses over how he's graduated from Mia or anything or even acts like Mia (or Maya or Edgeworth) existed. We're forced to fill in their bad writing with our assumptions rather than the game actually depicting this. It's more like GS3 was ignored and generic Phoenix was thrust into a nightmare 'what if' scenario designed to exploit and mock all his weaknesses. We had nothing much from the previous games to expect his character would skyrocket in arrogance the second he graduates. (Let alone rub in our faces he's so incompetent the second Mia isn't around.)

And it's like a nightmare backwards version of 1-5 (which was also devoid of the Feys assisting, although Phoenix heard Mia's wisdom in his head as memories) in many ways. So I bet they made Gumshoe super-nasty today simply 'because he was so helpful in 1-5 that he even put his job on the line' without thinking of actual plot justification/otherwise continuity. This 'flashback trial' premise really looks to be 'if Lana's 1-5 threat came true', the prosecutor's side 7 year curse of Gant (7777777).
- Lana: In a few years, the gold
plating will flake off.
- Lana: Then we'll see the real you.
- Lana: Give it three years.
- Then we'll see what you have
- become.

Lana is a kind of reverse-side Mia. Phoenix wins 1-5 by NOT presenting the illegal evidence when goaded. Gant sets him up to present illegal evidence but when he does present it it's not illegal (so he outwits Gant, but only did this with all his helpers, Edgeworth, etc. as Lana observes. Divided we fall. Supremely arrogant we definitely do.) Gant openly accuses Phoenix of forging evidence in 1-5. Etc. The series loves irony in general (1-3->2-4, 2-2->3-1, 3-4->3-5 etc) but well... ouch.

Why are we talking about this though, wasn't the topic the new prosecutor? Apollo's character could easily 'change to a prosecutor' because there's so much material in GS4 for plotting direct cause-> effect. It's nothing like Gumshoe and Phoenix in flashback trial.

icer wrote:

Why are we talking about this though, wasn't the topic the new prosecutor? Apollo's character could easily 'change to a prosecutor' because there's so much material in GS4 for plotting direct cause-> effect. It's nothing like Gumshoe and Phoenix in flashback trial.

I'm continuing this discussion because it gives some interesting insight in how they write their stories and how this could influence the outcome of everything.

What you listed above were valid arguements, but I don't find them to invalidate the interpretation I listed. Rather, they are yet another example of the huge problem AJ suffered from: The restrictions under which it was written. Both in terms of time and creative freedom. Takumi was rushed to dish out GS4 as quickly as possible. This is mentioned in interviews of his, in the artbook (by Kazuya Nuri) and even the TGS Special court (Which was written by Takumi himself) had a sarcastic side-smack at the fact. It's almost like he was crying out "I CANNOT FINISH THIS SCRIPT LIKE THIS, ARE YOU INSANE?!". Not that the executives listened. Note that, if you take into account that Takumi mentioned they already started brainstorming for Ghost trick after GS3 was finished, that would mean that Takumi was working on two scripts at the time. Parallely. And now we understand the problem, don't we? With the pressure put on him and all the alterations to his original concept that he had to make, Takumi faced a lot of crucial problems: He had to use previous aspects of the games, like characters and plotpoints, but he had no time to reasonably introduce them without possibly confusing newer players. Trust me, introducing an element into a written script without going into forced, annoying, tedious exposition is hard. So, what did Takumi do? He apparently pretty much went "Screw this!" and just cut all introductions. So we see Phoenix act in a way that is technically reasonable for him if you know why he acts like this, but it's never clearly explained to us. Takumi just assumed that older players would be able to guess why Nick was acting the way he was (seeing how he expected them to know the character as well as he does), and thought that new players would simply assume that Phoenix just "Is like that". That saved him a lot of time writing dialouge and took a lot of pressure off his shoulders.

Unfortunately, it did NOT work out, since he expected the old players to fill the gaps a lot more easily than they actually could. It took about 2 years Fandom time until "Nick has simply grown overconfident" became an accepted opinion.

It's not necessarily bad writting that's at work here.It's rushed writting. You see rushed writting like this in three games of the series, GS2 (which was released just one year after GS1), GS4 and GK2(Which was released just a year after GK1). All of them have scripts that *do* have a certain passion to them that you can't deny, yet there's obvious flaws in them that apparently nobody bothered to correct. GS2 got away mildly, because it was saved by its very strong and lovingly written last case (I assume that Takumi took some extra time to write that one, just to make sure it would be great), but GS4 was ridden by plotholes and incomplete explanations (for which Takumi even apologized once) and GK2 has a problem with overhurried, rushed characterization that makes it hard to follow the characters and accept their actions as believable. (But this game, again, is saved by one especially well done case, just like GS2, except here it's the third one).

So, now we understand a likely reason why previous games were pleagued by certain problems with things like continuity. Which brings us to the question: How is it going to be with GS5?

GK2 was released just last spring. So if we assume they are gonne release GS5 next spring... We'll probably have yet another rushed game at hand. God help us. But how will they handle it this time?

If they handle it like GS2, then we'll probably have some very solid continuity, but the logic within the cases might suffer and parts of the script may end up being weaker than they could be.

If they handle it like GS4 all hope for continuity is probably lost, because, again, they wouldn't take the time to properly reintroduce previous elements, but rather make up everything from scratchs.

If they handle it like GK2, we'll have good continuity and ideas, but a weak execution and unconvincing explanations for why certain characters are where they are.

I currently really hope we have another GS2 at hand here, rather than another GS4 or GK2. I really, really do hope. And if it's another GS2... Then and ONLY then there is a good chance that this theory could bear fruit. Otherwise, it's probably, as previously mentioned, doomed to end up in the "That could have been nice, right?" folder. :yuusaku:

EDIT:

Something interesting someone on Tumblr just pointed out:

If the figure is really standing with the back to the audience that would make it even more curious that they were shaded out, despite not even facing the screen...

I am Happy! :D

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Neni wrote:
Oh, and whenever someone says "I can't imagine character X acting like Y", I just say:

This.

And this.

You know, for him it took 12 years to change this way. For Apollo it would be only one year. There is a difference.

Alex_96_ita wrote:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

I know where you are going with this.

I don't think it's Edgeworth his shoulders are too broad.

Regrettably, the built looks a bit off for Apollo too. It's actually between the two... :sadshoe: It's probably a new character anyway, but we can still speculate.

Sligneris wrote:
Neni wrote:

This.

And this.

You know, for him it took 12 years to change this way. For Apollo it would be only one year. There is a difference.

True, but I'm still not completly ruling the possibility out. :yuusaku:

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Neni wrote:

Regrettably, the built looks a bit off for Apollo too. It's actually between the two... :sadshoe: It's probably a new character anyway, but we can still speculate.

It's because of the coat that those shoulders are broader than they actually are. If Justice puts on a coat, maybe the system won't be so cold he could have a shoulder width like that of the silhouette.

If it makes you feel better, we can hope that the new character is a fan of Edgeworth's too. :keiko:

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe it could even be a woman in disguise. Sure, the silhouette has the build of a man, but we've only seen the outline of a coat. It could even be a view from behind.

...But why do I have the image of an old lady in that coat? (As in, facially, not by stature)
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
EDIT: Oh wait, maybe it could even be a woman in disguise. Sure, the silhouette has the build of a man, but we've only seen the outline of a coat. It could even be a view from behind.

...But why do I have the image of an old lady in that coat? (As in, facially, not by stature)

That.... that totally makes me think of one of the fanmade games here. You know, the one with the prosecutor Jessica... I forget which game it was, but the Judge was the defendant...

Quote:

If it is Edgeworth and he has grown himself some pretty curls, I'm gonna fan-squee for about an hour.

C-A

Quote:

If it is Edgeworth and he has grown himself some pretty curls, I'm gonna fan-squee for about an hour.

C-A

I wouldn't. It's bad enough to put poor Nick back in the main character spot, where he has absolutely no space for logical developement left anymore, Edgeworth has also become overused by now and putting him and Nick back into the same courtroom would result in a teaparty, not in a drama. I love those characters, but I know when one should quit.

Achtung,baby~!

Does anyone know when can we roughly expect more GS5 news?
Really eager to know who the prosecutor is(Hoping it is Apollo)

Jonathan wrote:
Does anyone know when can we roughly expect more GS5 news?
Really eager to know who the prosecutor is(Hoping it is Apollo)

Expect tidbits once a month or two.

ice cream fan

Does anybody know how long it took between AJ's announcement and Klavier's reveal?

nanayon wrote:
Does anybody know how long it took between AJ's announcement and Klavier's reveal?

His face was shown briefly in the initial TGS trailer, but without a name, personality or anything else to go with it. We only got to see that GS4's prosecutor styles his hair like Kristoph Gavin. That was all.

ice cream fan

Neni wrote:
nanayon wrote:

His face was shown briefly in the initial TGS trailer, but without a name, personality or anything else to go with it. We only got to see that GS4's prosecutor styles his hair like Kristoph Gavin. That was all.

And between the TGS trailer and his proper reveal, how long did it take?

Neni wrote:
Quote:

C-A

I wouldn't.

I was actually more referring to Edgeworth having curls...

What if the prosecutor is still Klavier? That feather-boa-scarf thing looks perfect for a glimmerous fop like him and he could've changed his hairstyle. And first case against him contains false evidence - dejá vu!

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Neni wrote:
Quote:

C-A

I wouldn't.

I was actually more referring to Edgeworth having curls...

What if the prosecutor is still Klavier? That feather-boa-scarf thing looks perfect for a glimmerous fop like him and he could've changed his hairstyle. And first case against him contains false evidence - dejá vu!

C-A

I doubt Edgeworth would curl his hair. ^^; He's the neat and tidy type, he wouldn't willingly put anything into disarray (And curls *are* disarray in a way).

That doesn't mean I don't want him in GS5 with a neat redesign. I SURE do! He should be the Chief Prosecutor or something. And definitely the guy who Nick called on the phone in the animated segment. You know what'd be even more awesome? If Kay had grown up to become his personal assistant/secretary (...by day. And we all know what she does by night.)

I also don't think they'd use Klavier again, even though Klavier changing his hairstyle again is more than likely. I wouldn't want to look like Kristoph either, if I was him. (...Then again, Edgey never stopped wearing the VK cravat...)

It's actually my headcanon that Klavier cut his hair short again after 4-4...

Quote:
You know what'd be even more awesome? If Kay had grown up to become his personal assistant/secretary (...by day. And we all know what she does by night.)

Aaargh! :beef:
Sorry, my mind just took a wrong turn... of course, the Yatagarsu deal thingy.

Would make sense for Klavier to cut his hair after realizing what a Mess Up Kristoph was. I mean, he was basically gonna stomp his brother into the ground with forged evidence, had Zak not chosen Phoenix, yadda yadda yadda, we all know it. And I wouldn't want to keep my hair looking identical to his - even if Kirstoph's hair was modeled after Klavier's.

But what would happen to the joke that the Gavinner symbol is basically Klavier's hair upside down? I forgot, did Gavinner break up post-4-3?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
But what would happen to the joke that the Gavinner symbol is basically Klavier's hair upside down? I forgot, did Gavinner break up post-4-3?

C-A

They did. Klavier claims it's because he wanted to focus more on his rivalry with Apollo, (No, seriously, he said that) but I guess it's pretty obvious that that wasn't the only reason. >_>

Huh, weird. Because Klavier never struck me as being really all that into law - his music seemed much more important to me, no matter at what point. Like in 4-3, when he freaks out because somebody was off-key. Although his line of "being used to being looked at by men and women" and "never having this feeling when a man did it" was kind of a big handshake to Yaoi Fangirls.

C-A
Page 2 of 6 [ 208 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps