Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 13 posts ]

The Expression SystemTopic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Okay, so after Ace Attorney Investigations and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Capcom came to the conclusion that Phoenix's court phases SUCK. Therefore, Phoenix needs a new gimmick. Enter the expression system. We don't know much about it, other then that it exists, and you get to choose between one of 4 expressions. Perhaps not unlike Super Princess Peach, (Man is that ever a weird analogy to make)

Annnnyways. Without knowing a thing about it, I think I've already deducted how it works.

Lets go back to GS1-3…

:edgeworth: - Remember, he's a child, so don't badger him.
:cody-flash: - Yeah Mr. I'm a kid. *Insert stab-worthy nose rubbing*
:nick: - That kid has more spine in him then half the witnesses I've cross examined.

So, while playing, Cody's cross examination was just like every other cross examination in the series. Nothing special. But, what if it was done with the expression system?

:zennybw: - CONFESS TO YOUR CRIMES!
:udgy:
:gs4-people:
:sad-maya: - Um, Nick, I think you went overboard.
:guilty:

And if we decided to press the statement with something less evil incarnate on the same statement:

:phoenix: - So you like the Steel Samurai?
:cody-flash: - Yeah. Here. Have some evidence.
:not-guilty:

It's not what you say, but how you say it. But man, can you imagine pressing all those statements once per expression?

Still, nice to see court isn't sitting still.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: The Expression SystemTopic%20Title

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Does anyone else smell Hotel Dusk? :D :D :D

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

It will probably be like the bracelet in that it is only available for certain crosses and then isnt available to be used the rest of the time. I mean pressing every statement 4 times might not be awful the first playthrough, but imagine how tedious that would be during replays!
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash got a hold of Famitsu and translated a bit there that sheds some light on it:

Quote:
About the Mentality System
Can we ask about the game systems?
Yamazaki: We announced a bit about the new system. It is a system that allows you to deduce not from evidencec, but from a psychological side.
Eshiro: You find contradictions in emotions, like when someone is happy during a sad event and deduce from there. You'll find something new there, from which the story will develop.

Of course there's probably more to it we'll see later.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Komikero

Ehh. Right now it sounds way too much like the Perceive System to me and I'm not too happy about that. I always thought that system was weak and incomplete in AJ:AA (and hated it because of Kristoph's nervous tic).

You know what I'd like to see applied in Court? Eagle Vision.OK, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part but maybe something similar in mechanics?

... Yeah I dunno. I'll just wait for more info on this and come up with a much more coherent reaction later.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.

Bolt Storm wrote:
Ash got a hold of Famitsu and translated a bit there that sheds some light on it:

Quote:
About the Mentality System
Can we ask about the game systems?
Yamazaki: We announced a bit about the new system. It is a system that allows you to deduce not from evidencec, but from a psychological side.
Eshiro: You find contradictions in emotions, like when someone is happy during a sad event and deduce from there. You'll find something new there, from which the story will develop.

Of course there's probably more to it we'll see later.

I'm having trouble imagining how that translates into the emoticon buttons, but it does sound like it would be fun to use. There were definitely moments towards the end of certain cross examinations, when you'd almost revealed someone and they were clearly acting evil, but you didn't have some vital piece of evidence. It would be nice to be able to point out that their behavior was clearly abnormal. It would also make sense if GS5 maintains the Jury system. Juries in real life can be very susceptible to behavioral cues- even when they try not to be.

It's also an interesting contrast to the super logic system in Investigations. Edgeworth is all about logic, but Phoenix has always had the upperhand in interpersonal interactions. :phoenix:

What did he do this time...?

It seems like Wooster was right on the money, it looks like an expression system.
Quote:
I'm having trouble imagining how that translates into the emoticon buttons

Here's a link that shows the expression system in more depth:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/21/ace-attorney-5-and-its-new-emotion-sensing-system-is-a-blast/
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

In summation:
You find contradictions in expressions, I.E. if your father died and you're happy, you press the emotion you're supposed to feel (sadness).

Reimitsurugi wrote:
In summation:
You find contradictions in expressions, I.E. if your father died and you're happy, you press the emotion you're supposed to feel (sadness).

Which makes me wonder if it really is bad to not feel sad when a parent dies. Especially if the witness then says "Yeah, I didn't like my father very much. Doesn't matter to me." like Regina. Just that not being sad doesn't mean you're a suspect.

C-A

(Sp)ace Detective

Couple of things I'm concerned about:

First, the contradictions better be more complex/difficult than "why are you happy that your father's dead?" I had enough of that Captain Obvious stuff with AAI's Logic system.

Second, it shouldn't break up the flow of the cross-examinations too much. The Magatama works well because it's a brief (but not too short) "present evidence" scene to break up the long investigation phases. Perceive, on the other hand, made us play pixel hunt in the middle of a damn cross-examination. A pixel hunt!
(Little Thief is technically an exception since it's integrated into the investigation, but I'll complain about it (again) anyway: the animations are too damn long. You don't need to stop and restart the projection for every little change, Kay!)

I guess the question to ask is: "If this were GS1, could/would we simply have worked it into the narrative with a Press?"
Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

So to randomly cut in for a moment, I just want to say that I'm very glad this feature is finally being implemented, because I've been wanting something like this ever since the first case of the first AA, where this was actually hinted at.
(Recall for a moment: :object: : Your honor, look at the witness' face! > :sawit-mad: .
Just wanted to remind everyone of that. :phoenix: )
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

Quote:
Which makes me wonder if it really is bad to not feel sad when a parent dies.

If an individual cherished the bonding-love between father and son/daughter, you're supposed to feel sad, if not, even for a bit. That person you loved and grew up with is not there anymore to irritate/please/make you happy/whatever! Of course, there are exceptions like KNOWING that he will die in a couple of hours or days, or even that you shouldn't feel sad. Of course, some people feel sad and some feel lonely/empty/whatever. The important thing here is that you cherished and loved that person so much, that you don't regret anything when s/he left.

Quote:
Especially if the witness then says "Yeah, I didn't like my father very much. Doesn't matter to me." like Regina. Just that not being sad doesn't mean you're a suspect.

It was a hypothetical scenario, but yes, I get your point. It's like examining Dahlia if she knows her father died. :chinami:

Quote:
First, the contradictions better be more complex/difficult than "why are you happy that your father's dead?" I had enough of that Captain Obvious stuff with AAI's Logic system.

We can't make a conclusion right now, seeing as how we've only seen part of the system (which seems to be a bit more complex than the four expression buttons shown when examining the suspect) and the fact that it's the first case (which is always a tutorial trial). Other than that, I doubt they make the game easier for the newer audience, seeing as how the newbies to GS had GS4 to get used to the games and now with the upcoming HD Trilogy on iOS.

Quote:
Second, it shouldn't break up the flow of the cross-examinations too much. The Magatama works well because it's a brief (but not too short) "present evidence" scene to break up the long investigation phases. Perceive, on the other hand, made us play pixel hunt in the middle of a damn cross-examination. A pixel hunt!
(Little Thief is technically an exception since it's integrated into the investigation, but I'll complain about it (again) anyway: the animations are too damn long. You don't need to stop and restart the projection for every little change, Kay!)

I personally didn't have a problem with things such as Little Thief and the Bracelet, I paid no mind to it.

Quote:
I guess the question to ask is: "If this were GS1, could/would we simply have worked it into the narrative with a Press?"

Yeah, but it's a gameplay mechanic meant to freshen the game a bit. Every game has had a mechanic to add an air of new to it:

GS: Forensics in 1-5.
GS2: Psyche-Locks.
GS3: Playing as different characters (Mia and Edgey).
GS4: Bracelet.
GK: Logic Mode/Deduce.
GK2: Logic Chess.
GS5: Expression System.

In reality, all of these elements are just highlighted things in the flow of the game. I.E. Psyche-Locks are a sort of confrontation between Nick and someone. What's the need of them when you can just confront people?

Quote:
(Recall for a moment: :object: : Your honor, look at the witness' face! > :sawit-mad: .
Just wanted to remind everyone of that. :phoenix: )

Good point. In my country, a suspect's reaction is VITAL to an investigation. I.E. a nationwide known murder over here featured the suspect being interviewed on-the-scene by our number one program. It's on tape that his reaction to her questions suggested that he was under the effects of some drug.

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Quote:
In reality, all of these elements are just highlighted things in the flow of the game. I.E. Psyche-Locks are a sort of confrontation between Nick and someone. What's the need of them when you can just confront people?

Actually, this is the most useful part of the expression system; it makes Phoenix act normally. We don't realize it because we're focused on playing, but really, can you imagine someone asking you a question that you answer with a lie, and then all of a sudden the person pulls out a freaking 9-shaped jello and presents it to you, just to say you're lying?

And it's also more realistic. Many cases in real life have been - right or wrongfully - solved over "emotional evidence", so to speak.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps