Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 38 posts ]

Who should voice Phoenix in GS5?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Voice acting has been a hot topic around here lately, and I was just wondering what your opinions were about who your dream voiceactor would be for Phoenix in GS5. Emphasis on "dream" because there isn't any chance Capcom would pick, say, a celebrity to do the voice, but finding your "perfect" Phoenix voice might help you sort out what features you actually want in his voice.

Personally, I think Matthew Fox would be a good fit. He played Jack on the TV show Lost and whenever I heard Ben Judd's sounds from the games it always made me think that Phoenix would sound a little like Jack. Here's some clips of him I found off youtube, although the way the guy edited it ruins some of the scene pacing.
http://youtu.be/9FT-nYFZrnw

I also occasionally imagine Phoenix's voice sounding like Zach Braff, although I can't picture that actually working. It's fine on the jokes but whenever Phoenix gets serious I lose it.

What about you? Who would you like to see voicing Phoenix.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Who should voice Phoenix in GS5?Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

CHRIS SABAT FOR NICK 2K14!

Yeah I've got no idea though I'd hate for Zach Braff to get the role, the image of JD and all my hatred for him is imprinted on that voice. Plus Old!Nick is wiser and cooler than the panicky Braff.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
CHRIS SABAT FOR NICK 2K14!

Yeah I've got no idea though I'd hate for Zach Braff to get the role, the image of JD and all my hatred for him is imprinted on that voice. Plus Old!Nick is wiser and cooler than the panicky Braff.

I agree. I wouldn't want Zach Braff to voice him. I think its the "sweating" Phoenix that started getting me to imagine his voice there sometimes.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Dracarys!

There is only one correct answer here, and that is Morgan Freeman.

I don't know many american voice actors or celebrities who would be able to do a voice well... I guess Zach Baff would be okay, if he can pull a serious thing off. But I do know two voices I don't want in this game, voicing anybody - James Arnold Taylor and Yuri Lowenthal.
JAT spoke Tidus, who was the most annoying protagonist every created, and his voice only amplified that matter. As for Yuri, well, I only know him well in Tales of the Abyss and I'm sure I've heard him in other sources but without noticing it, but his voice just doesn't work for me. The expression never seems to fit or isn't natural enough. Just slightly too forced...

In terms of japanese voice, well, if they really don't use Takumi... I guess I want Takayuki Kondo, who voiced Honda in YuGiOh! for a while. It just seems to fit well for Naruhodo and he voices him in promotional material anyway...

C-A

Gettin' Old!

I kept trying to think of someone in the back of my mind.

BE WARNED LINKS CONTAIN THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU SPOILERS (Apologies)

I guess This is as close as I get (really the last few seconds are the main bits I heard of him).

Mr H from TWEWY.

Granted that's only a few voice clips but hey I think GS4 Phoenix and I think Mr H.

Apparently his english VA is Bart Flynn (Possibly Quintin Flynn's bro?)

Also This is probably a better example of his voice
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

No, I refuse to write anything...

Christian Bale...'nough said... :wellington:
Some secret wait to be discovered...some never are...
Some secrets lay in the shadows...and Justice is the Light...

I'd say

Gilbert Gottfried

The cape is self-fluttering

Ceres wrote:
Gilbert Gottfried

Only if he gets to tell long, drawn out jokes even more obnoxious than Moe's.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Wade Wilson.

We need to make sure no other male video game voice actors ever get a chance to do anything.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Gettin' Old!

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Wade Wilson.

We need to make sure no other male video game voice actors ever get a chance to do anything.

Well he does have experience saying Objection.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

State Alchemist

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing Sam Riegel come back as Phoenix. The only thing he should change is that he needs to use a deeper voice because this is an older version of Nick than the one in UMVC3. Listening to some of his voice clips as Stahl in Fire Emblem: Awakening (awesome game btw), I can tell he'll be able to pull it off.

Here's a weird one to think about: Mark Hamill. I don't really think he's a good fit, (he's too high-pitched), but looking at that shot of phoenix shouting up at the right hand corner of this forum, for some reason I keep seeing Mark Hamill's voice come out. Also, can you imagine what the nerd world would do if Luke Skywalker, Christopher Blair, the Joker, and Phoenix Wright were all the same person? I think world peace would become a reality.

In all seriousness, I still think Matthew Fox is a good "voice" for Phoenix, but actors aren't always good at voice-acting. Also I thought he wasn't doing anything anymore and might be a semi-realistic choice but I just saw him promoting a movie so never mind. And unfortunately my animation/anime knowledge is limited to big-budget animated films I watched as a child and English-dubbed Miyizaki films I've watched with my little sister, both of which usually have big name, expensive actors doing voice work. So I guess I really can't contribute any serious discussion to this, to be honest.

Can anyone point me to any youtube videos of Sam Riegel doing other voices for other games/shows? I actually think his voice is fine, but it's his delivery that I think is bad. If that's just a problem with marvel vs capcom and not Riegel himself, then I won't have a problem with him.

I just remember another voice I do not want for Phoenix.
Johnny Young Bosh.
He's just in too much stuff lately. Plus, well, if you've heard him in one Videogame, you've kind of heard him in all of them... He's not very flexbile with his voice. I know, not everybody can or shoul have to be LitteKuriboh, but if you make a professional career out of using your voice, you kinda should...

C-A

Capcom's gonna stick with voice actors, meaning no Zack Braff and all those other celebs mentioned in this thread.

I think his Japanese seiyuu is Takayuki Kondo based on his objection trailer. As for his English VA, I don't really know. I hope Sam Riegal isn't voicing him.

I agree, Capcom is most likely going to use people who regularly do voice work in Anime and Video Games. I doubt that there is a budget for Hollywood actors and since there is likely not too much voice in this game I see no need.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Auburnsun wrote:
Capcom's gonna stick with voice actors, meaning no Zack Braff and all those other celebs mentioned in this thread.

I think his Japanese seiyuu is Takayuki Kondo based on his objection trailer. As for his English VA, I don't really know. I hope Sam Riegal isn't voicing him.

I actually am really not against Sam Riegel voicing Nick, but ever since I found out he also voiced Teddie in the remake of Persona 4 (who is this thing: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... teddie.jpg ) I don't think I could take Nick seriously if they shared a voice. Especially given that said remake of P4 made me realize something: Riegel has a tendency to *horribly* overact in emotional scenes when he's voicing a character he's not used to yet...

Quote:
I just remember another voice I do not want for Phoenix.
Johnny Yong Bosh.

Why?

What is wrong with

Johnny Yong Bosh?!

(Seriously, though, I love his voice and don't find it inflexible at all. If you played ToS2, he does a great job at distinguishing the voices of the two split personalities of his character there. But, yeah, I agree, he's a bit overused lately.)

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Last edited by Neni on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gettin' Old!

Neni wrote:
Auburnsun wrote:

I actually am really not against Sam Riegel voicing Nick, but ever since I found out he also voiced Teddie in the remake of Persona 4 (who is this thing: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... teddie.jpg ) I don't think I could take Nick seriously if they shared a voice. Especially given that said remake of P4 made me realize something: Riegel has a tendency to *horribly* overact in emotional scenes when he's voicing a character he's not used to yet...

Actually I think that might just be Teddie, he's meant to be a bit of a charicature no?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
Neni wrote:
Auburnsun wrote:

Actually I think that might just be Teddie, he's meant to be a bit of a charicature no?

While that is true, part of the charm of Teddie's character is that he has a very serious side (which he usually tends to keep to himself) as well and knows when to tone the ridiculousness down and get serious. Teddie's previous voice actor, Dave Wittenberg, as well as his japanese voice actor, Kappei Yamaguchi, capture this perfectly and their preformance actually made me get really emotional in the really relevant scenes regarding the character in the game, but Riegel? Riegel just can't seem to find the balance between "Over the top ridiculous" and "Over the top emotional". Teddie's supposed to be somewhere in the middle, but Riegel was constantly swinging from one extreme to the other. That's just my opinion, though.

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

My problem with Riegel is that he voices mainly adolescent teenagers and men in their early twenties. I was fine with him voicing young!Phoenix, but older!Phoenix? The voice he typically uses doesn't suit older!Phoenix at all. Given that he hasn't had landed many mature roles, his performance might not be too great.

Last edited by Auburnsun on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auburnsun wrote:
My problem with Riegal is that he voices mainly adolescent teenagers and men in their early twenties. I was fine with him voicing young!Phoenix, but older!Phoenix? The voice he typically uses doesn't suit older!Phoenix at all. Given that he hasn't had landed many mature roles, his performance might not be too great.

A person's voice doesn't change that much between their 20s and 30s, at least not as much as it does between their teens and 20s. Someone who's used to voicing people in their early twenties can probably do someone in their early thirties, as long as they remember to keep the pitch down a little bit more.
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

Neni wrote:
(Seriously, though, I love his voice and don't find it inflexible at all. If you played ToS2, he does a great job at distinguishing the voices of the two split personalities of his character there. But, yeah, I agree, he's a bit overused lately.)

Yes I have played Knight of Ratatosk (it doesn't deserve the Symphonia title attached to it! It's a spin-off, not a proper sequel!) and while JYB did make a distinguishing bit between Emil and Ratatosk..... he just want's intimidating or scary or insane enough as Ratatosk. But he was also Guy in Tales of the Abyss - and I admit, it is hilarious to dub Power Rangers over JYB's game characters - and... really, that guy has been in too much stuff. I just don't think his voice would work for Phoenix.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Neni wrote:

Yes I have played Knight of Ratatosk (it doesn't deserve the Symphonia title attached to it! It's a spin-off, not a proper sequel!) and while JYB did make a distinguishing bit between Emil and Ratatosk..... he just want's intimidating or scary or insane enough as Ratatosk. But he was also Guy in Tales of the Abyss - and I admit, it is hilarious to dub Power Rangers over JYB's game characters - and... really, that guy has been in too much stuff. I just don't think his voice would work for Phoenix.

C-A

We'll have to agree to disagree then, on almost all of these accounts. ^^; (I loved that game, by the way, I find calling it "undeserving" a bit unfair...)

I would rather JYB voice older!Phoenix than Riegel. JYB's been overused and I frankly don't care for him, but he's a lot more versatile than Riegel. I can see JYB pulling it off.

Gettin' Old!

Neni wrote:

While that is true, part of the charm of Teddie's character is that he has a very serious side (which he usually tends to keep to himself) as well and knows when to tone the ridiculousness down and get serious. Teddie's previous voice actor, Dave Wittenberg, as well as his japanese voice actor, Kappei Yamaguchi, capture this perfectly and their preformance actually made me get really emotional in the really relevant scenes regarding the character in the game, but Riegel? Riegel just can't seem to find the balance between "Over the top ridiculous" and "Over the top emotional". Teddie's supposed to be somewhere in the middle, but Riegel was constantly swinging from one extreme to the other. That's just my opinion, though.

Well....perhaps it's just the new voice actor in the remake since I've not really heard much having not played it. I'm working through the dub of the anime so I've heard a little of his voice but from what I recall even Teddie's beary serious moments still have him sounding like a child in trouble or just plain confused.

Gah perhaps it's just the thought of freakin Teddie as PW, I'd need to see some of the VA's other work to make an opinion on him,
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Master of sharp things!

I was never crazy for voice acting in AA games - I enjoyed having to give a "voice" to the characters as I read their lines - but I always figured if they ever decided to go with VAs for either the games and/or cutscenes, Yuri Lowenthal would make a good voice for Phoenix. Moreso for the original games, but if he puts on a slightly more gruff voice I think he would fit nicely for the somewhat older, wiser version now. Plus he has lots of experience voicing anime and video game characters, so it probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to get him on board.

Neni wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree then, on almost all of these accounts. ^^; (I loved that game, by the way, I find calling it "undeserving" a bit unfair...)

Oh, in itself Ratatosk is a decent game. But not if you think of it as a Tales game - other than the Symphonia Cast, it has parts in it that feel wrong or, mostly, just plain missing to call it a Tales game. Like, what about Holy Bottles? Those completely disappeared from the game. The option to remove equipment other than weapons? Or skills set on the directional buttons? Also gone. Also lacking more sidequests - particularly ones that actually give me good rewards rather than just explain Magnar's crush on Alice, a guy I don't care about - and costume titles. No costume titles? What the hell. It might explain why people survived without having Mana in their bodies in Phantasia.... but it doesn't explain why Mana supposedly completely didn't exist in the past of Aselia (4200) while in the present timeline, there was Mana (4400), like it was an entirely new thing.

Quote:
Gah perhaps it's just the thought of freakin Teddie as PW

Teddie? What, that freakish little non-bear looking thing from Shin Megami!?
Oh dear god! :beef:

I suppose Yuri Lowenthal is a possibility for Phoenix, but.... well, he is another that I don't know to have very much versatility. I dunno, he just sounds... 'weird' if he lowers his voice to make it more mature?

C-A

I think Nolan North would make a good Phoenix.

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

Clearly Tom Kenny is the correct answer. In all seriousness, though, I think either the original voice actor or Yuri Lowenthal would be good.

That statement was objectionable!

I think Sam Riegel was a good voice actor for Wright, but if he wants to get this role, he has to make it deeper.
I'm joking about this pick but it would be awesome, Michael J. Fox as Apollo Justice anyone? :odoroki:

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

TurnaboutWright wrote:
I think Sam Riegel was a good voice actor for Wright, but if he wants to get this role, he has to make it deeper.
I'm joking about this pick but it would be awesome, Michael J. Fox as Apollo Justice anyone? :odoroki:

I'd be fine with Sam Riegel reprising Wright. The only thing that would have to be changed is putting a little more oomph into his Objection and Hold it. The ones in UMvC3 sounded somewhat restrained compared to the yelling at the top of his lungs that Phoenix did when he objected in the AA games.

Of course, since it's an older/more mature Phoenix, some restraint might be what they're shooting for.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Of course, since it's an older/more mature Phoenix, some restraint might be what they're shooting for.

When I try to imagine Phoenix using a bit more restraint when yelling, he sounds more cocky to me. And that would just fit Edgeworth so much more... But then, I doubt that GS is going to become more mature/restrained in the courtroom, even with the new darker settings. I'm sure people are still going to overreact to the tiniest of things, so Phoenix still yelling :objection: at the top of his lungs is bound to 'fit'.

C-A

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
Clearly Tom Kenny is the correct answer. In all seriousness, though, I think either the original voice actor or Yuri Lowenthal would be good.

I can see Lowenthal as Apollo, but Nick? Not so much.

Zvarri! The truth is revealing itslef!

Neil Patrick Harris!
Because, it's Neil Patrick Harris. No more words neccesery.

You get used to it.

Johnny Yong Bosh.

Well, whomever you guys think should voice Phoenix won't really matter. Assuming that Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney gets localized, Phoenix WILL get an English voice actor regardless. I hope they'll still be an option to hear to original Japanese language, though I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
I hope they'll still be an option to hear to original Japanese language, though I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Yeah there don't seem to be many games where that's an option... only ones I know of are Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 and Dead or Alive 5, where the former was sort of cheaper, as there wasn't that much talking except stockphrases. I did read, though, that Hideo Baba from the Tales Of Series is at least looking into Dual Audio as an option, so hopefully, other game companies will follow his example and give us that option...

C-A
Page 1 of 1 [ 38 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps