Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 17 posts ]

A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <Play the Prologue!>Topic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

Image Image Image

WEBSITE | TWITTER | ITCH.IO | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR

Hey guys, I've been a huge Ace Attorney fan for a long time. There's something quite perfect about a lot of it. A couple of years ago, I began writing my own story, which happened to be about an attorney as well. Who also occasionally wears a blue suit... and a red tie. :P I am fairly far along and am close to releasing the Demo!

[YOUTUBE LINK]

Our KickStarter wrapped at 76% ~ We didn't quite reach our goal. It will be nice to take a little break and reflect on things. You can download the full Prologue for A Near Dawn FREE on Itch.io (Russian Version available, as well) / Steam / GooglePlay! (Android Version)

A Near Dawn is a visual adventure created by Leonid Pilchin. It is the first commercial project from Far-off Daydream Games.

A Near Dawn is a charming yet devastating psychological thriller with amusing highs, gut-wrenching crashes, and mature themes. While grounded in reality, supernatural and science fiction elements will unfold as the story progresses. The opening sees our main character - Seattle-based attorney Sam Nichols - who seems to be experiencing disturbing psychological difficulties, exposed to progressively dire circumstances that threaten to unravel his reality and destroy those closest to him. Haunted by personal demons, with your law firm struggling and on the brink of collapse, you take the helm on an important new case involving a ruthless multinational corporation, defended by some of the vilest people you ever had the misfortune of knowing. The odds already seem stacked against you, but you will soon learn that things are not as they appear, as a deeper conspiracy begins to emerge. Where will you end up if you keep untangling the threads? You must be brave to uncover the truth.

This project is an interactive visual novel adventure featuring:

• Beautiful artwork and animations rendered in 1080p
  • Immersive cinematics with some frame-by-frame animation
  • Original music composed for the game
  • Fully voiced audio provided by exceptionally talented actors
  • Point and Click interface with puzzles to solve - the flow of this game is inspired by traditional adventure games
  • Dynamic decisions that alter the course of your interactions with others - rewards or consequences for your actions
  • Psychological tension - the main character has a darker personality who will come to the surface if you feed that darkness
  • Multiple endings - there is one true ending, but your successes or failures can take you off course
  • Episodic narrative - This is a full game, but it is part of an ambitious project with a far-reaching storyline

The plot will not progress without you, you are in control of the main character's actions at every turn. You will explore your environment and speak to other characters to learn about what is happening and what must be done. A key concept of this game was to give as much freedom and put as much detail into the content of the story as could be managed, as such you will have the option to skip important elements of the game not necessary for advancing the main plot if your character chooses to ignore them or fails to explore them. At the same time, you will not be able to move forward without resolving issues necessary for advancing the story along.

The stage is set - in fair Seattle, where we lay our scene.

The neighborhood diner near your workplace. Our story begins here with a chat between two of our protagonists over a lunch that goes terribly wrong.

Where, oh where could this be?

Writing & Programming - Leonid Pilchin
Character Art & Animation - Leonid Pilchin
Background Art - Alexander Kaloyan
Music - D.G.

1. What do you think about the concept?
2. What are your impressions of the characters and story? Who is your favorite?
3. How do you like the art style?
4. Are you interested in playing this game?
5. Would you support this project on KickStarter?

Follow us here:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | ITCH.IO | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR

Let us know what you think and wish us luck!

Last edited by LeonDaydreamer on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
Re: A NEAR DAWN ~ Inspired by Ace Attorney (among others)Topic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

And I have a brand new trailer, too! :)

[YOUTUBE LINK]

Ace Culprit

I really like this project! I respect the people who are working on this game! Keep up the good work!

I will answer your questions in PM

Just dreaming out loud!

Rayaj wrote:
I really like this project! I respect the people who are working on this game! Keep up the good work!
I will answer your questions in PM

Thanks so much Rayaj! We actually just released the PROLOGUE - you can download and play it free on Itch.io!
Umm.... info in the next post! :P
Re: A NEAR DAWN ~ Inspired by Ace Attorney [DEMO OUT!] KS OcTopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

So, this is a bit of a soft-release of the FULL PROLOGUE for A NEAR DAWN! We'll update with more details and information - and we really hope that the Linux version actually works, because it has yet to be properly tested. But please check it out and let us know what you think! :)

AND, keep in mind that we hope to launch a KickStarter campaign to help fund the rest of the project. We really couldn't keep going with it the way we have been if we didn't get some support, so anything you could do to help share or support the project would be super appreciated. Thank you!

I played this.

I think there's quite a bit of effort put in here! I enjoyed the visual style and the determination to portray even minor things happening. The voice acting is a bit hard to comment on - mainly because the plot is just getting started, so it's hard to really say how in-depth the actors are portraying their characters. And that might be my only issue here -- that there's very little plot to go around. We know very little about the mystery to come and have hardly met any of the cast. And even though we can see the immediate consequences of our actions, I think the true interesting part would be how they change things long-term. I do definitely want this project to be finished, just for its obvious and sheer ambition, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

A few additional things:
Spoiler: Minor spoilers for prologue
- The lip-syncing seems to be... well, non-existent. It seems more like characters are always given the same amount of seconds of talking animation, but then end up stopping before their line is actually over.

- For the opening, I think you could wait a few extra lines before having one of the mirrors turn 'evil'. Mainly because it helps with the tension of the lines and Sam's uncertainty where the voice is coming from. But that's just me, probably.

- One of Sam's lines early on (when he's looking himself in the mirror) - 'We have one last big case...' - seems to be of lower sound quality than the rest of his lines.

All in all, good luck with the project!
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

Just dreaming out loud!

DudeWithAMask wrote:
I played this.... I do definitely want this project to be finished, just for its obvious and sheer ambition, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

Thanks so much for checking it out, DudeWithAMask! I appreciate your feedback. :)
Yeah, this prologue was really meant to introduce the characters, the style, and at least part of the conflict to come in the story (particularly the internal conflict). You probably noticed I intentionally stay away from having the characters discuss the case in too much detail - A) because I don't like exposition, and having characters suddenly speak at length about something they should both already be well aware of is kind of a big pet peeve of mine in other stories (so, you will eventually get the details on that when you visit your office); and B) because there's nothing you would have done with the information at all in the Prologue, even if you had it, so it really would have just served as extra exposition.

DudeWithAMask wrote:
A few additional things: The lip-syncing seems to be... well, non-existent.... [spoils]...

Yup. I have an animated cycle that runs that is unique for every character and every one of their expressions, but the platform I'm using doesn't allow you to parse dialogue and have the character's mouth move accordingly (maybe you could do that if you were an expert programmer). As for the amount of seconds of talking, the text speed is constant (appearing at x characters per second), but I do try to break it up with pauses where neceessary... all this is pretty much the best I could do for this project.

Yeah, I was playing around with the exact spot to put that 'thing' that happens in the opening, and this is the one I went with. I can't say whether it was the perfect spot, but it felt the best to me in terms of how long it appears on screen. And you are totally right, this was something I thought about for a bit.

Lastly the "big case" part - yup. I'm not sure what happened there, well I do know - the take I went with wasn't 100% consistent with the takes for the surrounding lines. It's definitely something I would correct before releasing a full game, but I left it in the Prologue release.

Thanks again! This is the best feedback I got back so far. I released the thing a few days ago, and it's been kind of quiet so far. :P

Just dreaming out loud!

Look, he's running! - Putting together some GIFs...  :)

It's been tough getting support for our Thunderclap thingamajig. If you could lend a voice, we would really appreciate it.  :)

Just dreaming out loud!

I released A Near Dawn: Prologue on Android!! You can grab it on GooglePlay.

Let me know if you check it out. It actually feels really nice and sleek on a handheld - a lot closer to Ace Attorney! :P
Re: A NEAR DAWN ~ Inspired by Ace Attorney <Now On KICKSTARTTopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

We launched on KickStarter! Excitement! Fireworks!
Finally! This is my first ever KickStarter campaign (super nervous about it) - Please have a look at it and if there is anything you can do to help share or support it, we would greatly appreciate it! :)
Re: A NEAR DAWN ~ Inspired by Ace Attorney <Now On KICKSTARTTopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

Our KickStarter campaign has been teetering at the 40% mark for the past few days, but we've slowly had more attention given to the project, and Operation Rainfall wrote a really nice article about it. :)

http://www.operationrainfall.com/2017/11/05/a-near-dawn/

Re: A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <Help our ThunderKITopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

Hey guys, we're going to try this again - you can help us by pledging a tweet or post to one of your social media platforms on our Thunderclap.
Please help us if you can! It only takes a minute and we will need 100 people to help us or it fails (again). :)

Re: A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <Live on KICKSTARTETopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

I updated the gameplay video...
Gameplay Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=063U7Sxw_nk
Re: A NEAR DAWN~ <Live on KICKSTARTER!> +Android for All!Topic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

We just posted a new update on our Kickstarter Campaign:

Update #9: ANDROID For All!

The gist of it is that all our backers on Kickstarter at and above the Early Wakeup tier will receive a complimentary copy of the game on Android in addition to their other rewards! :)

Re: A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <Live on KICKSTARTETopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

For our Kickstarter Update #10: Mysteries and Science Fiction in A Near Dawn - well, like it says, I talk about some of the mysteries and science fiction in our story! I also mention another of my major influences (can you guess what it is?).  :)
Re: A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <36 Hours~KICKSTARTTopic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

Hey guys!
We're coming down to the last hours on our Kickstarter Campaign. It's been a wild ride, but we're still only at about 60% of the mark, and will need a lot more support to reach our goal.

Also, there is now a Russian version of our Prologue, as well - You can find it on our Itch.io page... you know, if you read Russian. :P

Please consider sharing and supporting our project, we only have a short while left on our campaign!
Re: A NEAR DAWN~ Inspired by A. Attorney <Play the Prologue!Topic%20Title

Just dreaming out loud!

Our Kickstarter wrapped up at 76% ~ we didn't quite reach our goal, but thanks for all the support over the past few weeks! :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games