Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 2 of 7[ 280 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (6 pictures 9/6)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

Scent wrote:
Radex wrote:
//I'm redoing the intro. Trying to make it somewhat interesting and somewhat vague.
///Oh, this episode will hold a double intro, if I haven't said it before. One for the game and one for this episode.
//After the epic logic I part (that's around the mid game 3rd CE), there's a lot of bumps along the way, hehe, so now it's medium level so far.
//Meh, gotta somehow get this Franziska whipping animation working somehow. I got it coded for the most part, somehow I gotta get it showing on the characters. Hopefully 1.2 RC1 has a working one.
//4th examination in the works, I really want to get to the 6th and 7th. That's when things become really interesting, because I want to use that epic picture I made.

Is it of developers to use slashes (/) to represent progress? Seriously, you're not the only one that does that.

Apparently so lol, I did that out of habit for keeping so many notes in the coding of my game. Oh, I'm having a close friend beta test it and...

D'8...

His loading time was atrocious. About 2-3 minutes I am guessing. He has a 6 year old computer (don't know specific specs) and it runs Windows 7. He will play the CEs soon enough, just went through only partway of the dialogue. So no comment there. When he's able to understand the backstories (he's only up to PW:JFA) he'll be able to help me work on the pacing of the story.

AIGE is using an average of 800K (shown in processes). I tried out Damion Shard and its around 600K.

AIGE/PWLib Casemaker Developer

The slow load is famous on 1.1 due to a programming decision error on aige 0.9.700a that causes "animation loads all textures on creation". I fixed it on 0.9.800a. Damion Shard was an example of it, and was the initial reason I had to fix this thing. Now you can add 200+ character creation calls and the load time will be instant.
PWLib 1.2 Under Development

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

I enjoy reading what you did for your game, but if I can give some advice, I'd say that it would be better for the others if you could update your first post regularly with your new sprites, screenshots, link for trailer, and so on... All your work in the first post so that readers won't have to search through all the pages to appreciate your work! ;)

Two more games coming up soon

Although I completely understand your point, Indochine Ramera, I'd advise doing the opposite (a too long first post is unreadable, besides, we like to see whenever a project's making progress, and people aren't informed when an already existing post is edited). But yeah, it is very interesting reading about the whole game creation process. Definitely sounds like this game will be worth waiting for :)
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Rising Inspirations

KSA_Tech wrote:
The slow load is famous on 1.1 due to a programming decision error on aige 0.9.700a that causes "animation loads all textures on creation". I fixed it on 0.9.800a. Damion Shard was an example of it, and was the initial reason I had to fix this thing. Now you can add 200+ character creation calls and the load time will be instant.

Hm, I remember reading that a while back when I started with PWLib. Thanks for verifying that KSA_Tech. I'll be sure to get back at you in MSN, sometime this week. Procrastination with school work is fun.

Indochine Ramera wrote:
I enjoy reading what you did for your game, but if I can give some advice, I'd say that it would be better for the others if you could update your first post regularly with your new sprites, screenshots, link for trailer, and so on... All your work in the first post so that readers won't have to search through all the pages to appreciate your work! ;)

Haha, I've been meaning to do that, will get to that eventually. Going to reorganize the first post soon (and I know what format I should steal... Tap...). Call it laziness :p. Glad you enjoy my long walls of text.

Ping' wrote:
Although I completely understand your point, Indochine Ramera, I'd advise doing the opposite (a too long first post is unreadable, besides, we like to see whenever a project's making progress, and people aren't informed when an already existing post is edited). But yeah, it is very interesting reading about the whole game creation process. Definitely sounds like this game will be worth waiting for :)

Which is why I often edit the title for those who want to know that a update occurs. I'm being cheap by bumping this topic with a new post :p, but at least I add something very relevant or interesting. I can always make both parties happy and (going back to my previous comment) and steal borrow use someone's *cough* format and still add a post (which will be far more rewarding). Haha, thank you, especially being one of the people to be able to inspire me in making a fangame; it's an enjoyable process. I hope to see this episode set the bar for future episodes.

Quote:
And since we're on the topic about development, here are some interesting inspirations that got me going. These aren't the only ones. I'm trying to remember more <.<.

games/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-different-dimension-aao-t19417.html

I gotta say, Turnabout Apprentice made me really question about the Apollo/Phoenix Worlds. It's an ok fancase in my opinion but it got me wondering and this question rose.

I know the concept with Apollo and Phoenix (gaining his badge) together is considerably an "overused" and consistently executed mediocrely but it got me wondering especially being one as ambitious as myself, how do you properly and effectively execute the concept?

games/sophie-armando-ace-attorney-t19605.html

Got me wondering about something... That much I will say.

games/remnants-the-past-music-contest-see-remix-forum-t11950.html

I saw one thing about this and it's the time travel method and that got me to think more, is that the only way? I knew someone would eventually ask, and DeMatador had to be the one haha. I want to be able to execute a story without that need of semi-paradoxical time traveling. Flashbacks are fine though. I want to see and maybe even prove they (worlds of AJ and PW) are not as separate as some may see and they are much alike; each character already has development minus the 7-8 year gap which would be needed to explain but it's a great opportunity to add more characterization to some familiar characters. An example, Franziska or Gumshoe, they aren't a 1:1 ratio in how they acted during Phoenix's time; there is some change in them, subtle maybe, but it's there and it will probably bring questions in what caused them to change.

Update 9/8

"Suum Cuique"

"To each of their own ability."

And to add to the interest, start bringing the tears for this episode: Two Steps from Hell: Goodbye for Now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ZiRXpQZiA

That will be part of the double intro most likely. It fits well to the intro script that I made.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Potential intro music 9/8)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

Major Update 9/12

"Get owned two more times."

Spoiler:

You heard it. I'm the artist and layout designer for PWLib Unleashed. I hope to help set PWLib into another level and set a larger and personal goal to another level.

Now for this game, look at the design cover that mentions it. It would be hard as hell (and with my obsession within timing with the music) to do the double intro. I am still on the 4th examination and I hope I can keep up the pace. The game I suppose is set to a harder level because of the insane penalties you will be facing and that won't be fun if you are not able to save well. We'll see. More to update on.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Major Update 9/12)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

For me to triple post, I have something in return to show.

Some Update (9/18)

"Incomplete Episode 1 case selection screen."
It'll be cleaned up and completed eventually.

Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice Intro: http://www.mediafire.com/?s41lvzafwwh6r8m
The biggest spoiler I have given. The video file is 256x192, it's intended to be shown through PWLib. I will not upload this on Youtube because damn small video = it'll be blurry when viewed. It's only 11.8mb. Please download it and tell me what you think :godot: .

I highly recommend having a player that can keep that size rather than resize it *cough* DivX player *cough*. I recommend using Quicktime.

I will probably redo it with a higher size to upload for Youtube.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Intro presented! 9/18)Topic%20Title

The Trusty Nudal!

That case-art is actually really good :)
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)

That case art is fantastic and the intro was amazing. =)

Spoiler:
Your intro video is interesting. It reminds me of an introduction to a movie with the stance you take near the end. Anyway, it's still pretty good. I love the music you use - it definitely fits. :phoenix:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Rising Inspirations

nudalman wrote:
That case-art is actually really good :)

Thank you :phoenix: Glad you like them.

Tap wrote:
That case art is fantastic and the intro was amazing. =)

Spoiler:
Your intro video is interesting. It reminds me of an introduction to a movie with the stance you take near the end. Anyway, it's still pretty good. I love the music you use - it definitely fits. :phoenix:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Thank you :redd: Glad you like them.

You are pretty damn right on. The question is, at what end or when does this intro occur in the game? ;)

Increasing Update 9/18

Taisetsu na Hito wo Mamoru Tame (Tales of Symphonia the Animation Soundtrack): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snj7J94dMZo

Another question, when does that (song) start? The beginning and the end of this episode are not presented like the usual Ace Attorney games ;), more to the uniqueness I suppose.

Rising Inspirations

"Update 9/23"

"Aim for the story, and the rest will follow."

I am back after losing my internet, :D. So, some things to say. I am on the 6th and 7th (final) cross-examinations. Gotta love losing the internet. I am writing Episode 2 already. And now, I look in back in hind sight, thinking about some things.

I'll say this plain and clearly, especially the relevance of that picture above: as I have said to DeMatador (partially), I am not interested in simple fanservicing. I could not care less. In fact, I rage upon that if fan stories are heavily dependent on that. As to how relevant that comment is, well, it highly depends, I have to ask something first, and based on that answer, will affect how I work with the story.

Now, as to the seemingly raging comment that I have right now, I suppose I could make it more interesting and say I will prep an interesting topic and the first development diary for this episode. Expect it soon, you may especially hate it or love it and maybe you would understand the back of my mind xD.

Quote:
Things I have to get done:
Get the cross-examinations done.
Finish the following graphic edits: Franziska, Gumshoe (maybe), Wendy

I have one problem though. Even if I finish the above, I am very dependent on the video system that PWLib 1.2 has. I could release the game without the movies, but it would kill so much of the effect that I am aiming for. So, I am somewhat in a bind and I would hate to have people hanging because of that. Well, we'll see.

Quote:
Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice
Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts
Estimated playtime: 30 min-1 hr 40 min (still rough)
Difficulty: Easy-Hard
Number of cross-examinations: 7

Hehe, it's getting there. It will eventually reach the cleaning up phase. It is/was fun to make it. And I hope when that development diary is released, well, I wonder what effect it will create :phoenix: .
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Update 9/23)Topic%20Title

Apollon Flame

Who could that be? :yuusaku:
Spoiler: Hint
It starts with a G and ends with a t ;]

A King

in name

alone...

Rising Inspirations

Scent wrote:
Who could that be? :yuusaku:
Spoiler: Hint
It starts with a G and ends with a t ;]

:3... ...Let me check that again. <.<...

>.>...

<.<...

Huh... I wonder why the thing is blu-...

... You have a month and a half :godot: . You missed something.

===

Hopefully sometime today, I release the first development diary. Plenty of pictures to go hehe.

Rising Inspirations

Development Diary #1

Welcome, people. The following diary that you are about to see contains some subtle aggressive language and the Great Wall of Text. I hope you enjoy reading.

Sorry for the constant double-posting, but this one is large, literally Great Wall of Text large. I added the Frustrations part, you are free to debate/criticize me for it.

Spoiler: Development Diary #1
Hi, and welcome. Be prepared to view the great wall of text. Enjoy.

It will be broken down into two parts, my time spent on AARJ and as PWLib Unleashed book guy.

Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice wrote:
"Franziska is just plain awesome, you cannot deny the von Whippenburg :3."

So, on 9/22, I found this $20 on the ground and it made my day epically awesome. Fun stuff really, school finished and was walking out of class and that's when I saw money on the floor and I bet myself that it was a $20 bill. I was right and I am $20 richer. Woot.

I knew when I first started right off the bat that I would have to write out the script for Episode 1 before announcing this game. At the time I didn't think about what the name for the episode would be, but for sure, I knew what the name for the game would be. Let me explain how and why I chose the name that is now today.

"Oh, Phoenix, why do you have to be so cruel :C?"

Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice Logo
Ace Attorneys does seem to refer to Apollo and Phoenix. Yes, the way they point each other (imagine like cross swords) in the logo seems to refer that. Although the name also takes on a larger scale and refers to other lawyers as well. Part of the concept is being the next GS5 and the other is being the ending of the Ace Attorney series. So, if I intend to make a finisher, why not bring some characters back? It has been 8 years since Trials and Tribulations and that allows me to give room for further character development for some returning characters. If you have paid attention to the updates, I did say that it is not a 1:1 ratio as they were seen in Trials and Tribulations. 8 years have passed and there had to be some change, no matter how subtle. As an aspiring writer (and I always refer myself aspiring no matter what), it is a good thing to bring questions such as how and why did a character change? What caused them to be this? It brings wonder as to why something happen and maybe even bring curiosity as to what happen during the 8 years. Franziska is one of those characters.

Now, the Rising Justice part can be explained into two parts. The word "Rising" refers to Phoenix (metaphorically and symbolically) and also refers to his return as a lawyer (for whatever purpose). The word "Justice," I believe is self-explanatory and refers to Apollo which would further relate to the cross pointing of the two. Now think why Rising and Justice are together? And now what does it refer then? Do you see the potential symbolic/metaphoric meaning the two words now mean? Do you see how thoroughly I think in making something?

Now, Apollo Justice is the "dominant" protagonist of my fangame but Phoenix's relevance is considerably important in the development of the game. I am sure you have played Trials and Tribulations, and seen its 3(Phoenix)-2(Mia) format. My game may follow that and that may suggest how the story will work.

"So, why did you get it then? *cough* DeMat, hai there."

Writing and choosing a casemaker
When I write, I use Microsoft Word 2007 or even better for writing things like plays or movies, http://celtx.com/. I will release the script one week after the game itself and it will be in .celtx format.

Writing took me a week to do, I started out rough. By then, I would announce the game on 8/6/2010. I thought to myself, I have three choices: AAO, PyWright, and PWLib. I love AAO for the ease it brings (for everybody), there's no denying that. I like PyWright's multiplatform (Mac and Windows) compatibility and would certainly would help in gathering more people to play since it's readily available for any user of any OS. Then there is PWLib. Now, I saw some people complain about how difficult it is and then after further research of it shows the saving is broken (on 1.1). But, as to why I chose it? A big reason, I chose it because it is difficult. I am a person that wants to endure and persevere and if you follow the development of the game, you would see how much the game has changed graphically. I do want to present it as a form of art and PWLib's near-perfect graphic emulation would suit that nicely. Basically, "Never give up and persevere to the end" and I would then begin to realize more about its maker (KSA_Tech) and see how he contains the same ideology which is also his reason to choose PWLib 1.2 as the beginning of the Mio series.

Now, for the writing itself. I have said before, it is rough at the start. I am constantly changing it in order to create a constant/consistent pace. Now, while I was writing, I thought to myself of how should the story play out. I decided to follow the spirit of the other games and begin as a court case. As much as I want to make it as ambitious as Turnabout Scapegoat or Substitution, it would take a while and my particular focus with Episode 1 is not about bringing awesomeness all at once, but rather create opportunity for awesomeness (for other episodes that is). I don't think of it as great on its own but rather as the beginning or slate of the entire story of the game. I have said "The smallest details are the most significant." That is very true still. Do you know how difficult it is in order to keep it seemingly simple and yet somehow blow your mind at the end? Let me state how the crime scene works. Someone shot some person in the open and the witness saw it clearly. Boring? I believe so, but I can say it's very intentional. You literally need to look at those "small" details, yes, small details is a subjective thing but I hope that you might look for them especially how relevant they are in the progression in the episode. Also another thing, these small details will truly help you understand the full aspect of the story. I am free to answer some questions if it is in my ability. If you do recognize the details, I may admit it, but you would have to know how to apply them.

As for the episode name in Whipping Turnabouts, the name is entirely intentional. Some questions.

Quote:
Have you thought about why I put "s" in Turnabouts? What about the word, Whipping?

I said it before when I think about Whipping Turnabouts, I thought about spinning roundabouts. Heh, some circular logic there.

As for (Project) Re:tracer, that is something of its own and will be discussed about when Episode 1 is released.

"Loving the blue suit, Edgey-poo. How bout' purple with a hat? Maybe gold teeth too."

Graphics, Music and Videos/Trailers
I have done Photoshop for 7 years I believe. My two biggest fortes is photomanipulation and graphic web designing (not the coding itself but the graphics). I want to make this game unique as much as possible of its own accord and as you can see from some screen shots, those minor changes of the buttons has certainly changed the way the game looks. There is a new background (AAI styled background) to include with it.

As much as I want to do custom spriting for this episode, it would simply increase the time, and it's not like I dedicate my time on this game, I do this for fun. I am just good at time management, literally, I am really good in managing crunch time. For you IB students, I am sure you know what I mean, hehe. AP students, you have it easy :3. Also I haven't done spriting for at least 4 years if I remember correctly, and for certain, I have not done Ace Attorney styled sprites.

Episode 2 will for sure have custom sprites, undoubtedly.

I have done video editing since my Freshman year, so that's around 3 years. I like to keep in-sync with the music and the beat as you may have noticed will the Ace Attorneys trailer, the Episode 1 trailer, and especially the Ace Attorneys intro. I like to keep things simplistically and sometimes I am forced to keep it simplistically. I have a HP M9040N computer with a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT OC with Windows Vista 32 bit. I want to have a Quadro card, but eh, no money. So, I can't use Adobe After Effects to further enhance my videos.

The Ace Attorneys trailer, ugh, it was too long, and I really enjoyed the music from the PW: Remnants of the Past trailer but I did not want to use it simply because of not wanting to copy it, mainly music (pride issue I suppose haha). It has a brief and very vague overview of the game with some quotes that appears ingame.

Episode 1 trailer, I like the Sonic remix in there. That's pretty much it.

I spent a lot of time thinking how the Intro should be done. Since Ace Attorney series uses Latin sometimes, I remember one Latin phrase that friend has told me once. Suum Cuique, to each his own. And that follows the ideologies that I pertain to. Now, some questions.

Quote:
Did you notice that during the monologue, three lines have shown Wright Anything Agency, Edgeworth's Office, and Phoenix's Office? Just to say something briefly, it was going back in time based on when the "offices" appeared. See how much I think?

Did you notice that the characters in "Why is it necessary" are also shown in order (beginning to end)?

Did you think about the events (starting with Apollo's ending drawing) follows from the end to the beginning?

Now for the music, to say it simplistically, I search for music of the following: Immediate Music, X-Ray Dog, Audiomachine, Two Steps from Hell, and music from other video games. Sometimes while I am writing, I would be playing a single song a hundred times to get the emotion of that particular part I am writing for a story. So, yeah, Tap you can see how I choose my music well, right? :D

"Seriously. But then again the previous Chief was a dunce too. Maybe they're related somehow?"

How I spend my time
Here's some questions I ask myself.

Ok, are there any good distractions that can prevent me from working on this game?
Oh, wonder if I should play Left 4 Dead 2 instead?
Modern Warfare 2?

Oh, Halo Reach, maybe I should go Youtube it and watch the walkthroughs.
Oh, painting sweetness, me and my tablet.
Basketball awesomeness.
Workout.

How can I avoid working on this game (oh wait, same question)?

Oh, snap, dammit school, one time I actually want to get some work done, I get three school projects in return.
(Referring to friends) Hey guys, you wanna go out and do something fun?
Music fun.
Sleeping fun.
Eating fun.

As you can see, I spend my time wisely. I have to be efficient if I do work on the game since I spend 30 min to an hour since school started. It'll get done eventually but I want my distractions first.

"Damn WRIGHT, I'm WRIGHT! WRIGHT? WRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?!"

Frustrations
Not everything is all pretty and colorful, you know. I have my own frustrations too. Let's break it down into two parts: advertising/recognition of this game and PWLib (because I am awesome).

Advertising/Recognition
You may see me under a new light; you may see me as a whiner. You may not agree with me, and you are free to rage at me. Believe what you may see. Either way, I am not one to hide and hey, it's a (development) diary, you want to know what I am frustrated about right during the fangame's development?

Yes, of course I do this for fun and on random times, but if I am trying to release this game, I am trying to get people to get interested in playing it, correct?

Let me say this broadly. It is a frustration for any artist to feel that their work is underappreciated. It is really and truly, a frustration. Now to be more specific, let's talk about my fangame.

Sometimes, I do feel like that, I do wish people would comment or question more in either AAO or here. And that is why probably I am making a credits/acknowledgments to those people who have. Those people really have helped motivate me to do more.

Some examples, I will put the "ARE YOU HIGH, JUSTICE?!" fanclub :godot: . Of course I will name people specifically and I am sure you know who you are.

Let me ask you a few questions.
Quote:
For any fangame maker over throughout this fangame making history, have you felt the frustration that your idea seems to be underappreciated? And of course, I am playing hypocrisy for this example. Have you been to BigFish's topic (AHLSL Precompiler for PWLib 0.11)? Honestly I feel that it is heavily underappreciated. It is a great idea and one to softly break the "difficult" excuse since BigFish is making the coding part easier. It may not be perfect but it is a great start.

Do you know how much it personally pisses me off if someone is able to gain views by mere hype? Believe it or not, I am using Pleading Eyes's fangame as an example. Yes, I believe it may be some feelings of jealously and I cannot deny her history with her past work, there is no denying that. But before I start, let me state my faults, I have started out vague and have continued to be vague, but allow me to elaborate it later on. I am fairly new to CR and AAO. And feel free to attack me. I am all ready to accept. Now, I have complete faith that Pleading will get the work done, not a doubt in my mind.

Now the vagueness part, it is my fault, but why am I intentionally vague and knowing how it would affect me and yet I still rage? It's for effect when you do play it, I do think I have written something nice and I want to preserve that effect as much as possible from beginning to end. Now, maybe it was bad to use Pleading's fangame as an example, there has been tangible work shown and is not based on just mere hype but allow me to argue (partially) that.

I constantly try to give updates and show something worthwhile to show. I started organizing my first post (thank you, Indochine Ramera) and made a decent looking update format whenever I update and haha, Tap is using it. I try to give something different whether it be that case selection screen or a sprite edit. And still, (and this is when the jealously comes in) I can't get enough views/comments of it (in my opinion). Do I have to mention it is GS5 based? Do I have to mention it is intended to be the finisher of the Ace Attorney series? I am free to answer questions to the best of my ability (without trying to spoil too much), but not many has been asked. Honestly, if you believe I am being to vague, that's when questions come in.

I suppose it's the frustration of being independent (coding, graphics, etc). But, seeing Scapegoat, I think I can manage.

You know what's funny, why am I not mad against PW:RotP since that could be a great example? Meh, I probably don't pay much attention to it, and I see/watch Pleading's topic quite often seeing my topic and her topic exist (from when they started) generally close. I often try to think how should I get more views, of course, I do know CR and AAO is slowing down, not surprised.

And of course, we all have all our reasons for not dedicating our time in finishing these fangames. PaperMario, university. My list of things above in how I spend my time. And so on and so forth.

And now there is AAO, why the hell does my topic have to be in General Discussion? I understand, yes, it's PWLib, but thing is, when you go to General Discussion, do you intend to see fangames? I would not think so. When I present something, I need it to be criticized or questioned like the way DeMatador has done for the purpose of further enhancing the game. But, to limit something like that, can be frustrating.

Before anyone suggests of releasing a beta or preview, I will not for Episode 1, for the purpose of effect, yes that again. I will continue to struggle on that until I release the game. Once it's Episode 2 and above, I most likely will bring previews.

Not a doubt, I am better off than many people. But, I think it's something interesting to talk about since it does relate to anyone (think of the broader aspect) and hey, give me credit for being brave for even saying this :D.

PWLib

It won't be as long as the other haha. Sheesh, I am bad (and whiny). Well, basically I have to experiment a lot and learn how things worked like the animation engine in PWLib (when I was making Wendy). Really, it's trial and error and I use YggdrasillSword's and DDRKhat's fangames as references in making my game. I am getting better at my organization and efficiency. Over 6000 lines of code already and making cross-examinations pretty fast.

Thank you.

Thank you for spending the time reading the Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice Development Diary. I really appreciate it and I hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to say anything ;). Oh, go ahead and check the PWLib Unleashed Book Development diary.

And let me say it, OH WOW I AM SUCH A PROFESSIONALIST OMG OMG OMG OMG, and I am a good time manager. Haha, trust me, IB does that to you.

PWLib Unleashed wrote:
If you were looking for something on PWLib, well...

There's one thing.

Me and KSA haven't talked much about PWLib, more or less, we're talking about SW. Well, KSA does most of the talking, while I do most of the awesome listening. Good convos, really.

It's fun stuff really. It'll get done eventually.

Thank you.

Thank you for spending the time reading the PWLib Unleashed Development Diary. I hope you are not pissed.

Well FIN for the Development Diary #1, I hope you enjoyed it and learned some of the new things in for either side.

Last edited by Radex on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (DevDiary #1 9/25)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

Last update of the weekend.

"Update 9/26"

"The only numbers I like are 0, 7, and 100."

I can say with full confidence that the 6th and 7th cross-examinations will be done next weekend. And giving the green light of 100%. I also thought of a way to lessen the slow pacing of the beginning ;) which will require some rescripting.

ImageImageImage
"In the spirit of fangame making, the subtle hints (of other fangames) and jokes are filled with awesome. Consider it, an indirect collab."

"How much awesome do you need to put in your words o_O?"

After the cross-examinations is the refining/cleaning up phase which is very easy and quick to do (coding wise) considering how long it took to code the other stuff.
Then there are the graphic edits I need to do. Don't worry, they can get done in a few hours.
And the double movie epic endings. If you like the Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice intro then you will for sure love the ending.

Breakdown of cross-examinations:
Quote:
1 - Gumshoe
2 - Wendy
2 - The defendant
2 - Edgeworth

Allow me to announce a feature for this fangame. The AAI-styled rebuttal/argue system (just another form of cross-examination). I am sure you know who you will face. Let me just say that Edgey picture is photoshopped and not part of the actual argument, but hey, I sure like Edgey's words xD. I may add it; it depends really.

It's a fun ride, and I am highly anticipating PWLib 1.2 RC1, and I hope to be one of the starters for that bad boy :godot: .

I decided to make credits/acknowledgments for those who have supported me in this project, I am sure you know who you are ;). And thank you for motivating me out of the frustrations I had, while making this. Seriously, the frustration part of the development diary is huge.

Examples in the acknowledgments:
Quote:
The "ARE YOU HIGH, JUSTICE?!" fanclub.
Wendy Oldbagbad Must DIE!
Of course, the people.

"Project Re:tracer"

If you are interested in helping, bring a post :godot: . I am working on the script right now. I will consider it. I will give a better answer once Episode 1 is released.

Some things:
Quote:
PWLib scripting
Spriting
Background making
Idea brainstorming (like the way Scent has done it)

I'm a Zebra, betch~

Radex wrote:

HAH, EPIC WIN, EDGEWORTH.

Looking forward to this, once I finish Apollo's fifth fangame case. Darn you Meekins :chinami:
I'm a Zebra, betch, and don't you forget it~
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (HUUUUGE Update 9/26)Topic%20Title

Two more games coming up soon

I'm looking forward to this more and more. I really like your idea of making a "development diary" (maybe I can connect with what you're saying more than others, since I've been in your situation, but I hope they read it too, it's quite interesting). I can tell you're enjoying trying to make not just a game, but a great one, so I'm really impatient.

Oh, and EmilyMarkham... sorry :D
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Rising Inspirations

EmilyMarkham wrote:
HAH, EPIC WIN, EDGEWORTH.

Looking forward to this, once I finish Apollo's fifth fangame case. Darn you Meekins :chinami:

It'll get done eventually :godot: . Let's hope for the best out of it. You got plenty of time xD, it won't be out anytime soon.

Ping' wrote:
I'm looking forward to this more and more. I really like your idea of making a "development diary" (maybe I can connect with what you're saying more than others, since I've been in your situation, but I hope they read it too, it's quite interesting). I can tell you're enjoying trying to make not just a game, but a great one, so I'm really impatient.

Oh, and EmilyMarkham... sorry :D

Allow me to add the frustrations part of the diary ;) then. I suggest others to look at it as well, it's an interesting perspective and one to debate on. Thank you, man. :pearl: I hope to make it a great start.

Radex wrote:
I can say with full confidence that the 6th and 7th cross-examinations will be done next weekend. And giving the green light of 100%. I also thought of a way to lessen the slow pacing of the beginning ;) which will require some rescripting.

I'm loving the development of this game (Gee, where have you heard that before? :karma:). Congratulations for getting so far already! I really hope that with 1.2 coming soon, there will be more PWlib games. We don't have enough. :(

Quote:
In the spirit of fangame making, the subtle hints (of other fangames) and jokes are filled with awesome. Consider it, an indirect collab."

Trucy Wright: Ace Attorney? (Trybien) :godot:

Is Justice's Memoirs in it?

Quote:
"Project Re:tracer"

If you are interested in helping, bring a post :godot: . I am working on the script right now. I will consider it. I will give a better answer once Episode 1 is released.

Some things:
Quote:
PWLib scripting
Spriting
Background making
Idea brainstorming (like the way Scent has done it)

I used to be a developer in the PWlib community... well I still am but I've put my PWlib project on hold (ME:AA conversion) till 1.2 is out so it can be rescripted since at the moment, it's really, really blocky. :/

If you need a bit of coding help here and there in the future, I may be able to help out. May being the keyword since I really need to work on my own game. xD

Regarding backgrounds, I have access to about... 2000 or so from many anime and video games. Percei, Ping' and Ceres have access to about 1200 of these but I have a lot more. If you need a background or quite a few, PM me and I could probably find one that you need. ;)

____

Once again, I really am loving the development of this game. You're progressing at a steady rate which is great unlike what I did. xD

Rising Inspirations

Tap wrote:
Radex wrote:

I'm loving the development of this game (Gee, where have you heard that before? :karma:). Congratulations for getting so far already! I really hope that with 1.2 coming soon, there will be more PWlib games. We don't have enough. :(

Anything else you want to take before I murder you <_<? :3...

Well, KSA and I haven't really talked about PWLib haha, we're on our own thing (trying to find distractions before our projects) and I am partially part of his AIGE project (if I am guessing right of what he is saying). PWLib Unleashed, errrr, *looks for distractions*.

Tap wrote:
Trucy Wright: Ace Attorney? (Trybien) :godot:

Is Justice's Memoirs in it?

Haha, I thought about this subtly hinting (of other fangames) very recently (around the making of the 5th examination which may be (very) difficult and that's during the examination, Trucy sounds pretty smart there :3), yours I can say, is on there (as well as another fangame, 2 more actually <.<...), but you got one chance to find it unlike the others which theirs is given on a gold platter (consider it my way of screwing you :3...), literally, or you screwed yourself over xD. It's actually part of the fixing of the beginning of the pacing :3...

Tap wrote:
I used to be a developer in the PWlib community... well I still am but I've put my PWlib project on hold (ME:AA conversion) till 1.2 is out so it can be rescripted since at the moment, it's really, really blocky. :/

If you need a bit of coding help here and there in the future, I may be able to help out. May being the keyword since I really need to work on my own game. xD

Regarding backgrounds, I have access to about... 2000 or so from many anime and video games. Percei, Ping' and Ceres have access to about 1200 of these but I have a lot more. If you need a background or quite a few, PM me and I could probably find one that you need. ;)

Haha, go focus on your game :D. And I gotta agree with you, if you see the coding right now, it is literally a hot mess, I need to organize the content in groups. I don't know if PWLib 1.2 does automatic pauses (with commas and periods) so chances are, the code will be 1.5x larger because of making those pauses. I am starting to plan that right now.

Quote:
Stutters: wait(5);
Commas: wait(7);
Periods: wait(11);
Long pauses: varies

And I'm curious as to where you have gotten your backgrounds <.<... I have made at least 1-2 custom backgrounds, I find making backgrounds easy lol, but the painting process is time consuming. And I just realized something to add to that list, I gotta start making the songs loop but that would be the very last thing I would do.

Tap wrote:
Once again, I really am loving the development of this game. You're progressing at a steady rate which is great unlike what I did. xD

Thank you :D. Gotta love those references. They really help (YggdrasillSword's organization is something I am looking for myself).

And I remember something, on Saturday, going out with friends around the morning and there's a dance at that night... I totally forgot xD. So that kills one day of the weekend. Still, I am fairly confident, even if I don't finish during the weekend it's not like I would release it if the CEs were finished, other things are still needed to be done.

I just thought of something, there is one moment that is great for a perceive examination (I did a workaround with it) but I may consider redoing it.

Oh, quick note, when I do release it, I will not help you (everyone) at all for 1 week of the release of the game. Good luck, it just got harder ;). I still have a full month to get this refined :), I'm getting quite confident.

Rising Inspirations

Why do I do such complicated things like that graph there? Consider my presentation. I want to get better in what I do (Photoshop), every time, so it helps when I do something like this. It's quickly made, could have used Excel.

Quote:
1 - Easiest
10 - hardest

Anyway, that graph is a rough estimation of the difficulty of each examination. I would say the difficulty of 6th examination is exponentially difficult xD. Basically, it is take everything that you have learned and apply it and you MUST pay attention to the subtle/small detail(s) in that examination, heh , following the mantra of the episode. Anything that you do could cost you (a penalty) and that includes pressing. It is literally a mine field that I have created. That examination is also the largest coded examination I have to do >_< though.

I will say good luck to the person who can pass it without help. Will it be frustrating? Maaaaaybeeee. But I have my reasons to have such an examination.

Saturday, doing fun stuff, so one day swiped :3.

I have to start cleaning the code though and then there's the graphics stuff I have to finish.

So, questions? Concerns? I hope not.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (October-November 10/1)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

"October-November. The gamble starts now."

Quote:
Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrmMb_UD1po

*Insert badass music*

This is it. The predicted/estimated deadline starts now. And it's quite the gamble. 8 weeks to make it and not even sure if PWLib 1.2 RC1 will be out by then. Still, you know, this is not my highest priority, I am just good at time management.

Expect some interesting updates throughout the weeks. One of them, is the Credits/Acknowledgments.

6th examination is almost done. Oh, I said it before, this Saturday, I am doing stuff so an entire day is cut off.

Last edited by Radex on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Update 10/2)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

"October-November (Cross-examination) Update 10/2"

"Please recheck your dictionary."

ImageImage
"Apollo, a badass? More likely than you think. I wonder if I should turn it canon."

ImageImage
"Calm and collected, it's time to argue for your case."

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Cross-Examination/Argument Edgeworth (Cross-examination #6)"

I am a little ashamed that I constantly do double and triple posting :payne: . So, here's a huge update. Please post if you can, I am a little uncomfortable lol.

So, here you see, the development of my cross-examinations. Plain and filled with potential awesome :edgy: . These weeks will be huge with updates. Expect them to be.

And as promised, I will give a few names in the Credits/Acknowledgments. It will be updated, I assure you.

Credits/Acknowledgments wrote:
Credits

Radex - Coding, graphics, story-telling
KSA_Tech - AIGE/PWLib
Lt. Morke - Edgeworth and ???
Comaster - Apollo sprites

Acknowledgments
Ping
Indochine Ramera
Tap
Huddini
Nevix
MiaFeyFan
Scent
DeMatador
nudalman

I will comment each person soon enough ;)

Last edited by Radex on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Apollon Flame

Some people recommend that placing deadlines aren't that very good, so, you should reconsider. Anyhow, YAY! We get a cool promo art and trailer! xP

Shouldn't it be "You're right."? Also, why not use the texts (rebuttal, argument, etc.) from AAI? They're available here. (I thought this project was cannon, it isn't?)

[EDIT] - In the trailer, why is Edgeworth's suit his regular color instead of your recolor of blue?
A King

in name

alone...

Rising Inspirations

Scent wrote:
Some people recommend that placing deadlines aren't that very good, so, you should reconsider. Anyhow, YAY! We get a cool promo art and trailer! xP

Shouldn't it be "You're right."? Also, why not use the texts (rebuttal, argument, etc.) from AAI? They're available here. (I thought this project was cannon, it isn't?)

[EDIT] - In the trailer, why is Edgeworth's suit his regular color instead of your recolor of blue?

That trailer existed for about a month now but since it's October I thought I should post it again. I forgot to change it and it was rushed slightly haha my mistake.. And yeah it's You're right, but I forgot about fixing it, I was a bit unorganized because to get that aai styled ce I need to make a duplicate code of the cross examination code (an extra 700-1k or so lines) and I did that late in the night I forgot when :p.

As for those graphics, I would have to code it. It'll take time. Or I could wait for PWLib 1.2 for it. As for the deadline, it's not concrete hence October November but I am aware of that, but I know how I organize my time and able to estimate it.

No matter how well organized I am, some things are missed :p I haven't reached to the refining phase so don't worry. Things will get fixed.

Oh that canon quote refers the pictures above. The game is canon based but the pictures aren't part of the game :p (Apollo's words of badass).

The Trusty Nudal!

Yay! Acknowledgements!

Awesome screenshots, Radex :)

Rising Inspirations

nudalman wrote:
Yay! Acknowledgements!

Awesome screenshots, Radex :)

Haha, yeah. Thank you, man.

"And fixed it for you Scent ;)"

Updated Credits/Acknowledgments

Quote:
Credits

KSA_Tech - AIGE/PWLib
Lt. Morke - Edgeworth
Comaster - Apollo and ???
Scent - Wendy Oldbag hotel staff idea

Acknowledgments
Ping
Indochine Ramera
Tap
Huddini
Detective Manson
Scent
Little Magician
Nevix
MiaFeyFan
DeMatador
nudalman
MayaPhoenix
King Treuth
Singapore123
Dypo
Power Berry
EmilyMarkham

Comments for each, someday. :godot:

Oh, another reason why I would set an estimated release time is that it helps me push to do things (more quicker and do it more efficiently). Even if I don't finish it, I know I would get a lot done. Sure, some disappointment, but at least I give the assurance it will be done in due time and with the updates, it helps it more.

Edit: WOOT 100th POST!!!!!

Apollon Flame

Forgot to mention I looove the recoloring of the button xP
A King

in name

alone...

Here for my yearly login

I'm technically just Manson now, but it's nice to be acknowledged. I think I'll just comment on this thread now instead of the Youtube video now.
Signatures are hard...

Rising Inspirations

Manson wrote:
I'm technically just Manson now, but it's nice to be acknowledged. I think I'll just comment on this thread now instead of the Youtube video now.

Fix'd. I'm fine with either way ;). It is really motivating when someone is watching my work. And even more motivating when they comment about it (good or bad). I'm glad you're watching this project :D.

Edit:
Scent wrote:
Forgot to mention I looove the recoloring of the button xP

Thank you :D haha.

"October-November Update 10/3"

"Aren't you nosy enough to look at another's diary?"

"You still have a month and a half to guess :godot: ."

So, here is a supplemental Development Diary, it's not #2, more like 1.00001, and this one is more picturey. The pictures are very large. They're pictures of my desktop.

Spoiler: Picture Diary
"Just damn, I am so awesome at organizing."

"I use Celtx (http://celtx.com) for writing/scripting. I recommend using it for your fangame(s) planning. It is a great program, better than using Microsoft Word or Notepad for this kind of stuff. Oh, this script is highly incomplete/outdated since I constantly change the script in PWLib and not update this one. I will add the stuff in there later for the showing of the script."

"Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice trailer. That thing is huge and crashes a lot. Damn you, Adobe!"

"Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts trailer. More simple and cleaner. Nicely paced. The program had some mistakes and didn't update the graphics =_= such as Edgey (suppose to be blue)."

"Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice intro. Very small video, meant to be played in PWLib. Edgey is intentionally red in this one. It's a timeline overview of the entire Ace Attorney series. Hey, Tap, I wonder when the monologue occurs in the game :smirk:?"

So, I have an idea. There will be a release video that follows with the episode release, and I believe I found a badass theme for it :godot: .

Oh, yeah... As much as I want to fix the Episode 1 trailer (apparently blue Edgey was there to begin with but for some reason did not update in the video export), Adobe Premiere is being retarded with the files right now =_=. They really need to optimize their crud, not demand better hardware just to do basic stuff like placements etc. (Apple's Final Cut Pro is something I would totally use), the only thing(s) would be worth using is Photoshop and Flash (questionable).

Updated Credits/Acknowledgments (I decided to keep the comments, just wait till you watch the end of the episode to know what I have typed out :karma: )

Quote:
Credits

KSA_Tech - AIGE/PWLib
LawlfulMagician - AAI styled (clothing) front-view Franziska, used as a proportion guide
Lt. Morke - Edgeworth

Acknowledgments
Ping
Indochine Ramera
Tap
Huddini
Manson
Scent
Little Magician
Nevix
MiaFeyFan
DeMatador
nudalman
MayaPhoenix
King Treuth
Singapore123
Dypo
Power Berry
EmilyMarkham

Last edited by Radex on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I object to the objection

nice to see how much development you make (:

And nice! you put acknowledgements in (:

I'd say keep up the good work :maya:
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Update + DevDiary #1.01 10/3)Topic%20Title

Rising Inspirations

Thank you so much Mayaphoenix! :D

Updated Credits/Acknowledgments

Quote:
Credits
KSA_Tech - AIGE/PWLib
LawlfulMagician - AAI styled (clothing) front-view Franziska, used as a proportion guide
Lt. Morke - Edgeworth

Acknowledgments
Ping
Indochine Ramera
Tap
Huddini
Manson
Scent
Little Magician
Nevix
MiaFeyFan
DeMatador
nekonohime
miles__edgeworth
kwando
nudalman
MayaPhoenix
King Treuth
Singapore123
Dypo
Power Berry
EmilyMarkham
Meph

I want to recognize those people that have recognized me. So, I will make sure that I look for every person that has helped with the development of this fangame and other things (indirect or direct).

I will be updating the AAO topic real soon, maybe not today though.

Rising Inspirations

"October-November Update 10/5"

"Red light! Gree-"

So, back in Zxblaze's topic, I told Ping that I do plan on showing the full potential of PWLib. There is a mini-investigation part of the game, nothing serious at all; it's just there to fix up the pacing of the game.

ImageImageImageImageImage
"So, how do you screw with a certain person :karma: ?"

I am not sure if I am the first to show a working investigation in PWLib. I know it has been said, but has it been shown (through pictures etc.)? Anyway, I love how much I was able to change the game. The investigation part is being coded still, I just quickly made that. Right now, cleaning up the game, setting up the case-select, need to make a lot of button graphics =_=, and set up the double endings. I am not even focused on making sprites atm.

I hope you enjoy :pearl: .

Edit: I am deciding to change that reticule into a red color if it doesn't become too distracting or blends too much with the backgrounds.

Radex wrote:
There is a mini-investigation part of the game, nothing serious at all; it's just there to fix up the pacing of the game.

... Why does this seem so familiar...? :karma:

I love those graphic buttons! Using a gradient for the base was an excellent idea since it really stands out! :D

Rising Inspirations

Tap wrote:
Radex wrote:
There is a mini-investigation part of the game, nothing serious at all; it's just there to fix up the pacing of the game.

I love those graphic buttons! Using a gradient for the base was an excellent idea since it really stands out! :D

:3... As promised, there's a "Waldo" just for you. I wonder if you had noticed it <_<.

I'm surprised no one has thought of using gradients on the buttons, especially Capcom. It really does bring out the flair xD.
Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Investigation Update! 10/5)Topic%20Title

The Trusty Nudal!

Yes, the talk and move buttons are awesome ;)

Apollon Flame

Tap wrote:
Radex wrote:

I have to agree. It makes everything look smooth, colorful and attractive like me!
A King

in name

alone...

Rising Inspirations

nudalman wrote:
Yes, the talk and move buttons are awesome ;)

Thank you :acro:

Scent wrote:
Tap wrote:
Radex wrote:

I have to agree. It makes everything look smooth, colorful and attractive like me!

Or me. Yes, of course, me.

Thank you :franny: .

So, some unrelated stuff.

Quote:
I designed the buttons and logo for nudalman's fangame: Axel Trugh: Ace Attorney.

I am getting increasingly pissed/frustrated in AAO =_=. I mean, why the hell my topic is in the worst possible place (General Discussion)? Why, not YOUR TRIALS? And that topic is dead, and I even did a blowout update bonanza.

*sigh* Gotta love my rants.

I have an interesting picture. That I will say is on the epic level. I am sure you heard of it, months ago. :3, you will not see it though.

Overworked Sprite Artist

Wait, refresh my memory; what did I do again?
Image Image

Rising Inspirations

Dypo wrote:
Wait, refresh my memory; what did I do again?

"I want to recognize those people that have recognized me. So, I will make sure that I look for every person that has helped with the development of this fangame and other things (indirect or direct)."

I have been in a ragey mood lately, here's the longer version if you want:

From AAO wrote:
You know... I feel cursed xD, I just can't seem to get more views or comments no matter how much I detail my work. Sometimes and I selfishly wonder, I have done a lot presentation wise in updates (with the format and witty comments :3); I consistently took the time to take pictures, etc. What more do I have to do? The only thing I haven't done is making custom music. I have done a major update block and right now, wtf'n about it. How could I get less views than the person who just says "HALP ME! I GOT A GREAT IDEA LET'S WORK TOGETHER." I suppose I am starting to feel arrogant and proud (then again, who wouldn't if a single person is able to do this much variety) but, a bit underappreciated :| .

And I have blatantly said, I could not care less what medium you choose as long as you are able to present what you want to show. Any impact can be created through any medium and I could not care less about this case-making elitism or pride. I am lucky to have come after those moments. I have to be pragmatic to a certain extent of what I want to show, but really, anything can be made as you permit it. So, now, I slowly begin to feel, why do I feel discriminated and forced into an inopportune moment just because I use PWLib? Do I have to bring a false pretense that I will eventually make an AAO version?

Which is why, I decided to make that acknowledgments, any little push really helps me in wanting to make this game. I do this for self-satisfaction and for fun, but I am also trying to release a unique idea or presentation, people may have not thought about.

As to what you did specifically, the only way to know is play the game, beat it (if your lucky without help), and see the double endings roll. :karma:

So, some things in mind and to say.

This game has taken some twists like the CE Edgeworth. It's impossible to not suffer a penalty and I will say, it follows the formula of the usual play, but, forget a lot what you know in playing the game if you want to actually complete it...
Page 2 of 7 [ 280 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games