Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 30 of 30[ 1176 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (Full game complete)Topic%20Title

Dracarys!

Southern Corn wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, she did try to shoot her own niece and blackmailed Phoenix into not saying it, so justifications or not, I'd still say she's very reprehensible.

Spoiler:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's a good or nice person. Definitely not someone I'd get along with in real life. My question was, based on what we see of her in CoI, where would you place her on an alignment chart?

Happy Maria

Spoiler:
Well then, I'd probably not call her 'chaotic', per se, so I guess neutral evil, which doesn't quite fit either for me.

Dracarys!

Yeah, I can see that. Like I said, I could understand the argument for any number of alignments for her!

Yabba Dabba Doo

Spoiler:
Is there such a thing as chaotic lawful evilgood? Because that's Meridith.

Then again, her niece-shooting habits may lead to her shooting Maya, which would effectively kill off the main antagonist of the AA franchise, so she's actually in the ubergood category.

Dracarys!

Thunder84 wrote:
Spoiler:
Is there such a thing as chaotic lawful evilgood? Because that's Meridith.

Then again, her niece-shooting habits may lead to her shooting Maya, which would effectively kill off the main antagonist of the AA franchise, so she's actually in the ubergood category.

Spoiler:
Meredith realized that Maya was Hemlock and knew that the law was powerless to stop her and so took matters into her own hands. You heard it here first, folks.

Just beat the game. Thanks for creating this masterpiece! Really good game!

Spoiler:
The whole part with Pearl was super sad, the ending especially

Dracarys!

Hello all,

I am currently doing an AMA on r/AceAttorney about the process of fan case writing. Anybody who is interested in hearing my take on that kind of thing is welcome to stop over and ask away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorney/comments/8yq665/i_am_ropfa_creator_of_ace_attorney_fan_cases_such/

I have problem with answer case 4 against Pearl Fey. Also I already open up PDF to see spoiler answer, but when I get this end [EVERYTHING AFTER THIS REDACTED] that is pretty nice for not give answer for Pearl Fey. I finish her first one, but I tried present as error present and see what happen without game over, but it does normal way. So I need to know which one is right present the evidence.

Sorry, Mr. Dragon, no offense to be rude to you. I understand this is your game you made and I really love it. Also there is one my favorite part you made is "It's lava lamp." I laughed so hard even I kept press on that weed smoker thingy, it made me crack up so badly that I can't ignore it.

ASCEND

Hey, don't post spoilers out in the open like that. That's why all the walktheough text is redacted.

I don't remember the solution there though.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Planetbox wrote:
Hey, don't post spoilers out in the open like that. That's why all the walktheough text is redacted.

I don't remember the solution there though.

And it only take forever to present evidence each statement without spoiler hint. I don't like wasting time to present every time. I want see rest of story.

Art Person

Hi Ropfa,

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm playing "The Rogue Turnabout" and noticed a bug:
Spoiler:
After you visit the penthouse for the first time, and talk to Watters, if you then go back to the Wright Anything Agency and move to the detention center, you get this error, and then have to repeat the opening conversation with Wayne again:

Grnk! (This disturbs me greatly!)

Time to Necropost! This is for the Ask CoI thing, but, Edman Books, are you willing to participate in a certain future sporking? I'm sure you've heard what that is. :justice:

I have a question.
Spoiler:
Can someone tell me who was it that was talking to Pearl at the end? I thought it was Morgan for a moment, but i think it's not. Maya maybe? Please, someone tell me

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

CaptainHindsight wrote:
I have a question.
Spoiler:
Can someone tell me who was it that was talking to Pearl at the end? I thought it was Morgan for a moment, but i think it's not. Maya maybe? Please, someone tell me

Spoiler:
Well, i think is kinda the point to dont know who it is, but my possible ones are Maya and Iris, more the first one, because if you pay atention, the one who talks with Pearl calls her ¨Pearly¨, IIRC, only Maya called her like that

I have been playing this game and I’m really liking it.

There's Always Someone Else

It took me a while to figure out how I felt about this game. And since I need to keep posting to unlock everything, I guess I'm going to just dump everything here!

All in all, I do think this game was generally fun and really creative. As someone who despises the later games in the franchise, playing it after Spirit of Justice reminded me of why I like Ace Attorney in the first place. Your writing is far closer to the original characters!

It's been a few months since I started actually playing it but I ended up taking a break after a certain case. I'll get to that.

As for my actual thoughts...

A Turnabout is Worth a Thousand Words was about as fun as any tutorial case can be. Which pretty much means I enjoyed it but it's also a tutorial case, so it's not something I'll even think about when I consider this game and I keep forgetting it exists. That's not to say it's bad though! I thought the twists and turns were clever and I enjoyed the humor a lot.

Spoiler:
The judge's line about Apollo playing that same song over and over cracked me up. I mean I do like AJAA, but that case got so repetitive, so it felt pretty justified. That's probably the only thing in this case that stuck with me, but good on you for pointing out what I'd been thinking there!

The Rogue Turnabout was pretty good. Yeah, I know you don't like this one, but I actually liked it a lot. I thought the pacing was good, with the trials being on the shorter end, and the story was definitely interesting enough to keep me from getting bored. The twists and turns threw me for a loop, and there was a lot of flavor text that made me laugh.

Spoiler: Spoilers for DD and The Rogue Turnabout
So it's funny because when I saw the Phantom in Dual Destinies, I really wished he'd been some rogue cop who was taking justice into his own hands as a serial killing vigilante. Seeing this actually playing out in a case was awesome! You took that idea farther than even I'd thought of it (admittedly, I didn't think too far into it) and I was totally fooled by the accusation at Watters because of that idea.

I clicked on everything and really enjoyed reading the flavor text. "It's a lava lamp!" was probably my favorite joke. I know it's small, but it was funny.

I also liked that the defendant was this big softie who looks scary. Maya's reaction reminded me of her initial reaction to Will in Turnabout Samurai too. So good on you for getting that right.

I dunno, I think you need to give yourself some more credit. I liked this case a lot. I have really high standards for writers (though I give leeway for fan works) and this case met and exceeded my expectations. I really don't have anything overtly negative to say. Good job!

Turnabout on the Web was also really good, as far as lighter cases go. I know some people have complained about the pacing and I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand why, but I enjoyed your writing enough to stick with you there. I was definitely interested in the overall mystery and found the characters pretty funny. I also loved the pun name for the victim in particular, very clever. And the idea of there being an early 2000s style forum for Phoenix is hilarious to me, for some reason. Really brought back a lot of nostalgia for those days. Considering when this game takes place, the fact that the forum hasn't been updated kinda fits into the weird technology in these games, so I thought it was fun. And a lot of the character cameos cracked me up, you really nailed the characterization.

Spoiler:
Okay, that weird cross examination with the girl who hadn't actually seen anything and was just trolling... I've seen complaints but I thought it was fun! I had this weird feeling she was hiding something so finding out she hadn't actually witnessed anything was pretty funny. I agree with the critics that it runs too long, but I also didn't have a bad experience. So take that however you want.

Also the weird weeb guy (it's been a few months, I forget his name now) was kinda... well weird. I thought it was a little mean spirited but also uncomfortably realistic. It made me think of obnoxious reddit mods. Still, not everyone active on the internet is a weeb in his mom's basement. Although I did get to ask my friend, who speaks a bit of Japanese, what a few of the words meant. She cringed and explained some of the jokes that wouldn't make sense in English, and I thought that made it even better.

The defendant was weird. I thought Phoenix was kinda rude to him though. Like I get he's uncomfortable and all, but even so... if I were the guy, I'd be a little disappointed. So I wasn't crazy about that, but at the same time, the guy was a little annoying. Not sure what I'm trying to say here, if anything.

Cody's death threw me for a loop. I liked Phoenix and Maya's reaction to it, it was a surprisingly realistic reaction that made me feel the weight of the situation. I felt really uneasy for the rest of the case, which I think was your intention, so good on you for that.

Turnabout Consequences... oh boy. I don't even know where to start with this. In fact, I'm just going to spoiler tag all of it because I don't think I can put in a spoiler free review except to say that I have mixed feelings about it.

Spoiler: Seriously, I'm going to spoil everything here
So yeah I had feelings about the whole thing but let's get into the specifics.

First off, I went in blind here except that this case is the reason I was recommended this game. I was told by someone that my complaints about Phoenix being way too blindly trusting would be addressed in this case. And boy howdy were they! Not the way I hoped, but I guess I had it coming wanting something like this. The person who recommended it to me said it was their favorite fan case by far, and I can see why.

So first off, love the way Pearl was written for most of the case. So much, I'm actually considering replaying it all again just to study her characterization with the knowledge I have now and with other people's criticisms in mind. I really enjoyed how she still very much feels like Pearl but definitely older. Much more interesting than that dry, lifeless Pearl from DD/SoJ, that's for sure. Plus seeing Phoenix marvel at how much she's grown and changed written way more like trilogy Phoenix was everything I wanted to see but didn't in those games. If nothing else, you gave me something I so dearly wanted but failed to get from Capcom, and you did it fantastically. Seriously, thank you.

I really liked the characters too. Meredith was delightfully horrible. I really couldn't stand her, and I still can't despite the sort-of redemption she has? Gladys was funny, I didn't really like her but I wasn't supposed to, so you did a good job there. And Iris was well written too. I don't really have much to say on either of them, at least for now.

As for the actual story, it was very interesting and I loved the way you portrayed Phoenix's ears ringing from the gunshots. That inspired me to try something like that in my own project and it adds a lot of atmosphere. And then Maya getting shot surprised me because again, blind. I thought Phoenix's reaction to the whole situation was really in-character.

There's a reason I haven't brought up Williamson until now. That's because I found him very unremarkable until this case. This one changed a lot of my perception (as, I imagine, you intended). I appreciated the realism of his character up until then, I just didn't have any strong feelings on the matter. Seeing him here changing his tune and advocating for Pearl at the end after knowing the reasons she had (which is the ending I played) made me appreciate him a lot more.

The emotions in the conversation before the trial were also well done. I'm so happy to see MY Phoenix Wright back and reacting to these things instead of Phonyx from DD/SoJ who wouldn't understand a real human emotion if it hit him with Franziska's whip. He felt like the version I had come to love from the trilogy, as I said. And man, that made all of this hit way harder.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the thoughts you came for:

The plot twist. Yeah, somehow I went in blind here because I haven't been active in the fan game community so this was the first one I'd ever played. Okay wow. I didn't see it coming, I was totally blindsided. I mean okay, that's not entirely true, I had a few moments where I questioned where Pearl was in all this, but I didn't think much of them. You did a fantastic job of using the audience's bias toward Pearl to your advantage. Very cleverly done.

I'm going to do a criticism sandwich instead of talking in a linear fashion, so take this and then I'll finish my positive thoughts so you don't feel like I'm bashing on you.

That being said, I can't buy this motive. Not at all. Pearl feeling so controlled that she attempts murder, that is just... I don't think any amount of trauma would force someone like Pearl into such a position. Maybe if she were the timid shell of a person informed by the script rather than the sharp witted teenager I'd gotten to know, I could see it happening that way. But I couldn't realistically imagine her doing something like this. Morgan, who I assume is still alive here, has been in prison for what, like 10 years now? I mean in 3-5, didn't they pretty much say that Pearl loved her mother and just wanted to please her? And yet Pearl also has been shown willing to disobey her, so I'm just not buying it. I'm sorry, I know it's probably something you're very proud of and I do think you presented it well enough, but it did take me out of the story a bit. I think the motive needed to be a lot stronger to make it entirely work and to be honest, it did feel a bit contrived to force a big twist like this.

My other criticism may not be necessarily a bad thing per se, but this emotionally weighty case made me not want to play the rest of the game for a long time. I didn't pick it back up until January, and I played this case last November. I was such a wreck that I had to stop and make myself feel better. And then after I did that, I struggled to pick it up again and put myself back in that emotional place.

I also felt very frustrated at the lack of closure. Yes, Williamson said he'd advocate for the lightest sentence, but what was that? I would have included that for the audience's peace of mind. I don't think you can have a story like that without reassuring the audience. You could argue that that's the point, it's supposed to make you feel sad or look forward to the next case to get that closure, but I think offering it in the case itself is much better because having some assurance that things could be okay makes me want to keep playing but feeling like everything's horrible and depressing makes me too sad to keep going.

But lemme tell you, despite not buying it, I was sucked in because your presentation was wonderfully done. I sobbed, man. It's hard to make me cry over a game and I was a mess after it. Pearl's scream really got to me. Plus Phoenix's emotions were very in line with mine, and seeing her as a child was particularly effective. That feeling of seeing her as a little girl but knowing she's not anymore was portrayed really well. I also thought her emotions and true feelings were well done, even if I thought her motive didn't work. I liked the callback to her using the word "damn" too, very well done. And knowing she's attempted suicide just makes the emotions hit way harder.

I actually had to write a short fic about it because I was so emotional, I had to get them out. I provided closure for myself. I also hadn't thought much on Phoenix and Pearl's relationship until this case, and now it's been a subject of fascination as of late, and something I've written about a lot more. So thanks for the inspiration.

Also I have to say, you write Maya better than any other fan writer I've ever seen. Her maturity in this situation was extremely refreshing considering how flanderized she tends to be. It's in line with her characterization in the trilogy (and yes, even SoJ kind of understood that, but not to the extent you did). She's probably my favorite character, so I appreciated it immensely. I loved that she didn't blame Phoenix, she even thanked him. And that she figured out who had done it herself. Absolutely loved it, seriously great job. Thank you for doing her justice when the so-called professional writers at Capcom dropped the ball.

Turnabout Into the Unknown was all right. I did finally get around to playing it, so it's fresher in my mind. I have thoughts. I'll just spoiler tag them.
Spoiler:
Yeah so this case was way too convoluted and after Turnabout Consequences, I was disappointed to see that it wasn't very character-focused in terms of their dilemmas and emotions. I wanted more of that, not less. But that's my personal opinion, so I wouldn't even say it's a bad thing that you didn't do that.

I quite liked that Irish guy, I forget his name but I liked him because I never quite knew what he was up to. I think you did that really well. Williamson was interesting enough, but Jimmy didn't really interest me too much, so his death didn't hit me at all. I love Franziska, and I really like how you wrote her as more mature and not letting pride get in the way. Great job there, that feels a lot like a more mature version without losing... well her.

The story... was way too complicated. I played it recently and I still can't quite figure out everything that happened because there were so many tie-ins to earlier cases and past characters, but they seemed a bit more like they were there to create this huge arc? I figure you probably planned it in advance and I appreciate your foreshadowing (another thing Capcom forgot how to do in the later games).

But I felt a bit like it dragged. Jane was creepy, but she didn't have much character outside of being creepy. The heck was her deal!? I dunno but I didn't get the idea that she was much more than just creepy, maybe I was wrong.

But the whole Rivales gang thing didn't interest me. That's no bash on your writing, as I think you objectively handled it fine as a writer, it just wasn't compelling enough to suck me in because I couldn't care less about organized crime, to tell you the truth.

I liked that you could play as Trucy too. I liked how she was written.

Oh yeah, so I also wasn't crazy about the final villain as well. I didn't think he was interesting enough to hold my attention.

That being said, a lot of your structure was great. Enough that I've taken note of it as a writer myself. So I do think it's pretty good, it just wasn't... for me, I guess? Which is fine! You didn't make this game for people like me, you made it for people like you who enjoy those kinds of stories.

All in all, I've recommended this game to a few people. No one's actually picked it up, but hey, they know about it. It's also served as a huge inspiration for my project, which I dearly want to talk to you about but haven't been able to reach you because I see you want to be contacted about certain things regarding your art/works in general and I've tried reaching out but haven't been successful. But that's neither here nor there.

I do think this game is good, and it feels a lot more trilogy-like. I'd rank it around the same place as AJAA and miles better than SoJ and DD. Which isn't a bad place at all! I think there are issues with it, but a lot of them are just me issues, not you issues. My only more objective issue is the one I mentioned in Turnabout Consequences.

That's about all I can say on this game. I liked it. I thought you did a good job and should be proud of it.
Page 30 of 30 [ 1176 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Board index » Present Evidence » Games