Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 27 posts ]

Introducing, the "Matt Silver - Ace Attorney" SeriesTopic%20Title

Hello, members of court-records.
While I actually have been registered here for a good while already, this is actually my very first post here. And thus, I would like to take a short moment to introduce myself.
Basically, I'm a big fan of the Ace Attorney series, coming from the country that apparently produces a lot of crazy prosecutors (aka, Germany :klavier:)
Those of you who also read the AAO forums may or may not have played some of my cases there. I have been more or less active there since I started playing (and greatly enjoying) the Ace Attorney games in early 2009, and the (sadly) limited time I had available I spent on creating a couple of fan trials, that would soon be combined into a series.

So, I chose to create this topic for 2 reasons.

First, to promote my series.
On AAO, the series was fairly well liked and I was encouraged a few times to also promote it beyond the boundaries of AAO.

So, here are a few details about the series:
First started in early 2009, created with the AAO online casemaker, the series follows rookie attorney Matt Silver from his first trial on. The series currently has 3 finished cases (all of which have become featured trials on AAO), with a 4th one planned to bring the story to a finish.

Edit: And as advised, a direct synopsis and case links instead of just a link to the AAO topic.

Part 1 - Turnabout Deception

Spoiler: Intro
After his best friend and former defense attorney James Tyron gets murdered, rookie defense attorney Matt Silver decides to stand in for the timid young woman accused of the crime as his first case.
Join Matt as he tries to reveal the reasons as why his defendant seems to try to take blame for the crime at all costs while he himself has to deal with the impact that the loss of his closest friend has on him.

Part 1 - Trial
Part 2 - Investigation
Part 3 - Trial

Spoiler: Walkthrough
Part 1
-Press the 4th statement to update the knife in the court record. Press 3rd statement and ask where she was. Present the updated knife at the newly added statement
-Present the apartment plan
-Press the 3rd statement and have it added to the testimony. Present the knife again at the newly added statement
-Present the autopsy report at the 5th statement
-Answer that she is left handed
-Answer that there was somebody else
-Present the cellphone
-Answer with the waiter
-Press the third statement, then the fifth and chose to press harder

Part 2
-Go to James' apartment. Examine the shards on the floor
-Go to the detention center. Present the broken contact lens to Ms. Hammond
-Go to the hobby room that is now accessible from James' apartment. Examine the area below the TV to receive a hint to the PC's password (mind case-sensitivity)
-Examine the PC and enter the password to receive James' schedule
-Go to Valon's office. Use talk options and present James' schedule to receive Valon's profile
-Go to the restaurant. Present Valon's profile to the waiter
-Return to the hobby room

Part 3
-Present the torn wristband at the 4th statement
-Present the crime scene photo at the 4th statement
-Present the autopsy report at the 3rd statement
-Present Valon's profile
-Press the third statement and press harder. Present the waiter's affidavit on the newly added statement
-Press the third statement and ask about the reasons. Present the cellphone on the newly added statement
-Pick any answer, results are the same
-Present Dorothy Hammond's profile (Presenting James' letter at this point will cause a nonstandard game over), bluff that you forgot her name.
-Present James' letter
-Present the broken bottle at the 5th statement
-Press the 10th statement
-Present the broken contact lens
-Present the mysterious envelope
I'll keep the after trial evidence a secret. After all, it's not very hard and not necessary to answer correctly. Surely, you'll figure this one out by yourself! :atmey:

Part 2 - Turnabout at the Convention

One month after the events of Turnabout Deception, things finally have returned to normal for Matt.
Visiting the International Videogame Convention, he prepares for an exciting weekend away from his job. However, things change quickly as he is thrown headfirst into his second case!

Part 1 - Investigation
Part 2 - Trial
Part 3 - Trial

Part 1
-Exhaust talk options with Blake
-Exhaust talk options with Gumshoe
-Go to Blake's office
-Exhaust talk options with Blake
-Present Attorney's Badge to Blake
-Exhaust talk options with Jeremy
-Go to Convention Hall
-Exhaust talk options with Gumshoe
-Go to Staff Room
-Exhaust talk options with Reige
-Go to Backstage Area
-Exhaust talk options with Rhonda
-Go to Security Room
-Examine terminals below the right set of screens
-Go to Choke's Room
-Examine Trash can
-Ask Gumshoe about "Cause of Death"
-Present Champion's Trophy to Gumshoe
-Go to Backstage Area
-Present Extension Cable to Rhonda

Part 2
-Press statement 2, 4, 5 and 6. When pressing 6, ask about the second piece of evidence
-Press statement 3, ask "What did you do?" and have it added
-Present Game CD to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy
-Point at the Backstage Area (6)
-Present Rhonda's profile
-Press statement 5, add new statement
-Present Autopsy Report to the newly added statement
-Press statement 5
-Press statement 2
-Present Wayne Johnson's profile to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy to statement 3

Part 3
-Press statement 5 and answer "It is very suspicious"
-Present Gaming CDs
-Present Game Replay to statement 3
-Present Extension Cable
-Present Neard Reige's profile
-Answer "Accomplice"
-Present Gloves
-Press statement 2, ask for details
-Present Reige's Statement to the newly added statement
-Present Wayne Johnson's profile
-Point at Choke's Room (2)
-Press statement 6, ask about CD and say it was significant
-Present Gaming CDs to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy

Part 3 - The failed Turnabout

Just what is this mysterious event from one year ago that was mentioned throughout the previous two cases?
Get a glimpse at the past as you relive James Tyron's last case as a defense attorney. What happened that day that caused James to take off his badge for good? And how are these events connected to the present?

Part 1 - Trial
Part 2 - Trial
Part 3 - Trial

Part 1
-Press all statements
-Press statement 2, press further
-Present Revolver to the newly added statement
-Present Power Outage Report to statement 5
-Press the second newly added statement
-Present Photo of the Victim to statement 6
-Present Autopsy Report to the second newly added statement

Part 2
-Present Park Guard Schedule to statement 3
-Press statement 7, Say it was important
-Present Flashlight to the newly added statement
-Press statement 4, select "About the victim falling"
-Present Victim's Jacket to the newly added statement
-Present Bullet to statement 5
-Select "A Gunshot"
-Select "the shooter", then present Tex Johnson's profile

Part 3
-Present spider pin to statement 3
-Select "The third person"
-Present Mysterious Person's profile
-Present Laura Trodectus' profile
-Press statement 3, ask about the weather and have it added
-Present Power Outage Report to the newly added statement
-Present Power Outage Report to statement 5
-Press the second newly added statement
-Ask "About the "not worrying" part"
-Present Cellphone to newly added statement
-Present Note to statement 5

Part 4 - The Entangled Turnabout

Spoiler: preview
  • The entangled Turnabout will bring the entire story to a conclusion and answer all remaining questions (and those that newly arose with the failed Turnabout, of course).
  • It will be significantly longer than the previous parts, possibly as long as the previous 3 cases combined.
  • You will switch between three playable characters over the course of the multiple investigations and trial segments.

And the second reason is to actively search for people willing to help contribute to the 4th and final case.

Sadly, my available free time to work on cases since creating the previous ones has reduced significantly for various, personal reasons. Thus, I am looking for people. What kind of people? Well, let me shamelessly copy&paste what I already wrote on AAO. :redd:

The first would be what I could only describe as a "detail writer".
I have the main storyline worked out. I know what will happen and (approximately) in what order, but the Ace Attorney games have always been about the details. So I need someone to help me with details such as what kind of evidence will appear, what kinds of contradictions could be used and so forth. As I mentioned, I have the storyline worked out, and a couple of evidence/contradictions as well, but there are so much more fine details that need to be worked out.
Those interested should expect to work out a lot of details within a set story parameter. So to speak, I provide the starting point and destination, with some landmarks on the way, while you help determining how said way will actually look.
Of course, I will work closely together with whoever decides to take on this task, bring in my own ideas, help work our ideas together and whatnot.

And second, I need someone to create some custom sprites for the case.
I am fairly satisfied with the custom sprites I made myself. However, they took a considerable amount of time, and since I have not worked with sprites for a long while, I would basically learn everything from scratch again. This is time I simply do not have!

While obviously this could be done by multiple people (and I would greatly appreciate anybody who would like to work on a custom sprite for a character that has none yet), there are a few selected characters that are great spoilers, and thus I would want to leave them all in the hand of a single person.
My demands for the sprites are not terribly high or unreasonable (or at least I hope so). The style should blend in with the regular AA characters, and quality should be somewhere around what my own custom sprites have. So, simple edits/frankensprites would fully suffice.
These would be 3-4 characters that I would want to be sprited by one person. As mentioned, if anybody else is interested in doing a custom sprite for a single character from the series, just let me know.

So, whether it is feedback to the existing cases or interests on helping with the above mentioned, I hope we can get at least a bit of activity into this thread! :phoenix:
Creator of the Matt Silver trial series on AAO

Current Avatar created by Aer

Last edited by Narokh on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Introducing, the "Matt Silver - Ace Attorney" SeriesTopic%20Title

Ah Narokh, good to see yuo've made this thread on CR!
Go play his case guys, it's aged pretty well as an AAO case, and still in active development! IIRC his cases have obtained featured status, meaning it's a high quality AAO fancase.

That being said, you should edit this thread title to include the sypnosis/direct links to play, instead of referring them to your AAO thread (you see, AAO is not a really well liked medium on these forums, so it would be in your best interest to not give them disincentive by having them contribute to AAO's forum view traffic.)

Huddini wrote:
Ah Narokh, good to see yuo've made this thread on CR!
Go play his case guys, it's aged pretty well as an AAO case, and still in active development! IIRC his cases have obtained featured status, meaning it's a high quality AAO fancase.

That being said, you should edit this thread title to include the sypnosis/direct links to play, instead of referring them to your AAO thread (you see, AAO is not a really well liked medium on these forums, so it would be in your best interest to not give them disincentive by having them contribute to AAO's forum view traffic.)

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations. They are - as mentioned - indeed all three featured cases.

And I didn't know about the latter part. I edited the opening post accordingly. Thanks for the advice!

Don't call me Shirley

Quote:
coming from the country that apparently produces a lot of crazy prosecutors (aka, Germany )

Definitely a lot of great composers, too, I might add.

I'm not familiar with your series, and I guess a good knowledge of the first cases' background is mandatory to work on the fourth, but I'd be happy to help you with the story planning. Just give me some time to play them :shoe: !

Shtak wrote:
Quote:
coming from the country that apparently produces a lot of crazy prosecutors (aka, Germany )

Definitely a lot of great composers, too, I might add.

I'm not familiar with your series, and I guess a good knowledge of the first cases' background is mandatory to work on the fourth, but I'd be happy to help you with the story planning. Just give me some time to play them :shoe: !

Haha, of course, no hurries. I'm thankful for everyone who offers assistance.
Just don't let the first case scare you off, I was still learning how to use the casemaker back then, which was done on the cost of originality. The second and third cases are much more original in story and stuff. :basil:

Don't call me Shirley

Two cases down, one to go :jake:

The second one was definitely an improvment over the first ! Still a couple of issues, but I'm looking forward to part 3.

Shtak wrote:
Two cases down, one to go :jake:

The second one was definitely an improvment over the first ! Still a couple of issues, but I'm looking forward to part 3.

Glad you think so.
I am currently planning to give the first three cases (Deception especially) a major overhaul before actually starting with case 4.
First step is to get custom sprites for all original characters, and then re-write their personalities. Especially in Deception, it greatly shows that I stuck too close to the stock sprites the characters used, personality wise. And I intend to fix that, amongst other things.

Don't call me Shirley

I agree, a couple of contradictions were also hard to pinpoint because of the limitations of some environments, too. I had a hard time with the telephone :sadshoe: Wouldn't that be a lot of work, though ?

Shtak wrote:
I agree, a couple of contradictions were also hard to pinpoint because of the limitations of some environments, too. I had a hard time with the telephone :sadshoe: Wouldn't that be a lot of work, though ?

Quite a bit, yes. But I hope that in the end it will be worth it. :butzthumbs:

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

I definitely like the art work and how the case flows.

However, I caught some grammar errors/typos. (I didn't bother to take a screenshot of them all.)
But here's one that's been bugging me...

"Updatet" This one has been repeated twice.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:
I definitely like the art work and how the case flows.

However, I caught some grammar errors/typos. (I didn't bother to take a screenshot of them all.)
But here's one that's been bugging me...

"Updatet" This one has been repeated twice.

Found and fixed, thank you.
Yeah, the first case especially is guilty from having some grammar errors and typos left in it. I did not have a spell-checking plugin yet when I created that one.
Let me know whenever you find more. Thankfully, it's super quick to fix if I know in which case/part it's located.

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Well... OK, you're the boss...

Spoiler: Case 1 - Part 1
Since I was lazy to take screenshots of the typos before, I managed to recall some of them.

Silver: "And my defendant"
It should be "And my client"
Blake also says something about "Your defendant" and both of them happened on part 1. (duh.)

Missing "e"

"It helped me to remember", should be "It helped me remember"

"This it" should be "This is it"

"that barely more than an hour" should be "that's more than an hour." The "barely" isn't even necessary. (Nor it is right.)

Spoiler: Case 1 - Part 2
"Don't" should be "Doesn't"

There should be a comma between "hello" and "Mr.Silver" (There are a lot of these in Part 1 and Part 2.)

Again with the missing comma between the "Heads up" and "Matt".

Same issue here.

"Has been talking about" is Past continuous, you should say "Ms. Hammond talked about."
Hence Past continuous refers to something that's been repeated over and over again. (She only said it once.)

Not sure if this is a typo but... Shouldn't he say "He didn't call it"?

That's all I have for now, I am getting lazier each time.

I also understand that English isn't your first language, but I felt it was necessary to point typos out.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:
I also understand that English isn't your first language, but I felt it was necessary to point typos out.

No, no. Exactly because English isn't my first language, I appreciate such errors being pointed out. After all, it's much harder for me to find all of them myself. And I have to say, you going so far to even post screenshots is incredibly helpful! Thanks for that.
The second and third cases should have a lot less of errors though.

Also, wow, there were a whole lot of blatantly obvious ones in case 1 part 1 that I never caught.

I fixed most of what you pointed out. However:

The last one for part 1 seems to be a generally poor wording from my side. It was meant to have the judge point out that the meeting happened only very shortly before the murder. I reworded the sentence, so it hopefully should make more sense now.

When talking about the shards, I figured "don't" was correct, because shards is the plural. Wouldn't "doesn't" only be correct when talking about a single shard, or am I getting this wrong?

And while talking about the hobby room, wouldn't "this" be appropriate too, since they're at the location?

Thanks again for the effort! :phoenix:

Don't call me Shirley

Almost finished :)

Pretty much everything has been dramatically improved over time, that's impressive !

You mentionned earlier that you were considering working on original sprites for the first 3 episodes, but wouldn't these efforts be better spent on creating fully original sprites and backgrounds for the fourth episode ? I can't help but feel it's a bit of a pity that your writing skills keep being limited by the obligation to recycle pre existing art.

Shtak wrote:
Almost finished :)

Pretty much everything has been dramatically improved over time, that's impressive !

You mentionned earlier that you were considering working on original sprites for the first 3 episodes, but wouldn't these efforts be better spent on creating fully original sprites and backgrounds for the fourth episode ? I can't help but feel it's a bit of a pity that your writing skills keep being limited by the obligation to recycle pre existing art.

Haha, well I had enough time to improve since each of the cases took so long to make. The failed Turnabout was finished about 3 years after I first started working on the series.

And, I don't just plan to give the existing characters new sprites - I plan to give the existing three cases a complete facelift. The above mentioned limitation of writing is what makes me really unhappy with the earlier cases, so I intend to customize them with sprites, backgrounds and some serious re-writing of personalities, contradictions and whatnot.
Especially Deception is almost painful for me to look at by now, and I want to recreate it and move the original characters away from their status as expies from the sprites they used.
I feel it has gotten better from Convention onward, so these two will require a lot less rewriting. But before I start working on the final case, I want to bring the entire series on the same level of quality.
No easy task for sure, but this is my decision for the time being.

Don't call me Shirley

All done :shoe:

Quote:
I feel it has gotten better from Convention onward, so these two will require a lot less rewriting. But before I start working on the final case, I want to bring the entire series on the same level of quality.
No easy task for sure, but this is my decision for the time being.

I agree, unless you plan on bringing some deep changes to the very background of your series, cases 2 and 3 are more than fine in their current state. I wish you the best with that, and feel free to let me know when you plan on progressing the fourth case.

I am currently partway through part two and this is pretty fun so far.

Just curious, do you have any deadlines set for part 4?
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

mercurialSK wrote:
I am currently partway through part two and this is pretty fun so far.

Just curious, do you have any deadlines set for part 4?

Glad to hear you like it so far.
There are no deadlines for the 4th case - I generally try to avoid setting deadlines, as I am very mood/motivation dependent to get stuff done.
Right now, my main focus is on reworking the existing cases (mainly the first, with some touch ups for 2nd and 3rd). How long this takes strongly depends if I can get people interested to contribute custom sprites.
I will keep posting updates though.

Heh, fair enough.

Narokh wrote:
How long this takes strongly depends if I can get people interested to contribute custom sprites.

Is this a hint? ;)
I am interested, though. How many sprites would you need for each character?

mercurialSK wrote:
Heh, fair enough.

Narokh wrote:
How long this takes strongly depends if I can get people interested to contribute custom sprites.

Is this a hint? ;)
I am interested, though. How many sprites would you need for each character?

Haha, well I'm grateful for everyone who'd be willing to contribute. How many different poses would be needed depends on the individual character. Claire Hammond for example would only need a few, while Jonathan Blake obviously would require more.
Is there any specific character you'd like to give a try?

There are a few, yeah. But I think I'll finish playing first, then decide on what to do.
... Wait. Wait wait wait wait WAIT.Topic%20Title

I'm behind the mask. I know who I am.

:udgey: ... Who would murder an awesome defense attorney like James? And what was his/her (not done with the chapter yet) motive? :edgeworth:

Logan Richard Cain

That was awesome! :gant-clap: Good luck finishing it.

sparkle sparkle

I really loved these cases! Particularly the second and the last one! Here's hoping to the completion of the final case!

Winter Flag Trademark

Nick's Badge wrote:
I really loved these cases! Particularly the second and the last one! Here's hoping to the completion of the final case!

...Did you seriously had to necro this thread? Couldn't you perhaps left it the way it was? :\

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Nick's Badge wrote:

Yes I agree! I recently found your cases and I absolutely marvel them. I feel you put so much work into it and would love to see a fitting conclusion for the characters I've come to love. Is The Entangled Turnabout ever going to come?

This is a great game, but I just have a few questions.

1. Can I draw the box art for it by hand, or photoshop it, or do you want to do it?
2. After this game, are you making a sequel for it.
Page 1 of 1 [ 27 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games