Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 15 posts ]

Grovyle: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

Professional Lurker

Grovyle: Ace Attorney

So, I started this project a while ago, then got busy with college and life and such. I still intend to finish it one way or another, but I decided to try and restart from scratch. I intend to become more active with this project and not let it die again.

This is an idea I've had in my head for a little while. Somehow, I came across a Pokemon/Ace Attorney crossover on YouTube. There was something about it I liked, and I figured I'd try putting it in game form, specifically Ace Attorney Online. Of course, my planning of the game revealed that the game's dialogue was a wreck, the logic didn't fully flow, and I'd probably have to rewrite large portions of it. St the time, I just didn't have the time or energy to do it.
Well, now I have enough spare time for not only rewriting the one case, but also completing the story surrounding it. Thus, I'm planning to create Grovyle: Ace Attorney.
The plan is to have 4-5 cases. The second case is actually the furthest along in planning, since it will be based off of the video. I'll have to write the prologue myself (there is a prologue to go along with the YouTube video, but it was even worse than the original video).
I can't estimate how long it will take to plan, write, build, and test the case, so I won't even take a guess. It will take some time.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

As the first step to reviving the project, I've made fancy placeholder profile thingies! You can check out my skill at cropping, copying and pasting in the character list.

I've figured out at least most of what resources I'll need to complete the game.
  • Sprites - I do know what sprites I'll need for Case 1. If you want to help, I need sprites for Grovyle, Latios, Palkia, Dialga, Reshiram, Munchlax, and Charizard.
  • Art - I realized near the beginning of my coding that I couldn't use any of the court backgrounds, since they all have humans in them. That could be a problem, so I'll need help with getting new backgrounds for Case 1.
  • Voice Actors - I need voices for Grovyle and Palkia. If you're interested, send me an audition so I can consider you.

Also, I've made a couple of music decisions. Thanks to RayquazaSenpai for giving me some suggestions!

If you want to help out, below is a list of things I need help with.
  • Sprites - Obviously, since the characters in this game are not human, I can't get away with reusing existing sprites. That means I need lots of custom sprites. On top of that, I don't have an artistic bone in my body (except maybe stick figures. Stick Man: Ace Attorney?), so I won't be any help in sprite making.
  • Music - This isn't nearly as important at the sprites. If I can't get custom music, the normal Ace Attorney music will work just fine. That being said, if I can get music, I'd like to. It would sound pretty good to have some Pokemon-themed music in the game. If someone could help me find fitting music, that would be awesome.
  • Plot Help - I feel like I could come up with a decent plot to put into the game. What I need is someone to help me turn that decent plot into a great plot. A team of people working on the plot and planning is better than just one person. Any help anyone can provide there would be great.
  • Testers - There's nothing worse than playing through a fan game and finding a bug that makes it impossible to continue through the game. Obviously, I'm going to test for errors in the game myself, but four eyes are better than two, and six are even better. Having help checking for errors, bugs, and even spelling and grammar errors is absolutely necessary. I won't need it until I've actually started work on coding (is AAO coding?) the game, but it's something to think about.
  • Art - I'll need lost of art besides sprites to get this thing done. Backgrounds, speech bubbles, box art, maybe a logo. A banner would be cool, too. I can Photoshop stuff, but a lot of the pictures I need probably don't exist. Any help I can get in this area is appreciated.
  • Voice Actors - Completely new characters mean completely new voices. I'll need some voice actors to play the different roles. At this time I need voices for Grovyle, Palkia, Darkrai, and Arceus. If you're interested, message me some kind of sample so I can consider you for the part. Include which part you're interested in trying out for.

I do have a rough plot line set up for the first two cases, as well as a partial list of characters.
Spoiler: Case 1 - The Missing Turnabout
A Nugget has gone missing from the headquarters of the Legendary Pokemon protection Unit. Latios has been suspected of the crime. Grovyle decides to take this on as his first case. Can he unmask the true culprit?

This will be a very short prologue case to introduce the characters and sort of start the main plot. I have started writing it, but it doesn't seem very good so far. If someone wants to help out, that would be great.

Spoiler: Case 2 - Turnabout Justice (DEFINITELY Working Title)
One year after Grovyle's first trial, his good friend Pikachu is arrested for the murder of a Kirlia named… erm, Kirlia. Grovyle returns to law after a year away and learns that a few things have changed. Still, he must prove that someone else killed Kirlia. Can Grovyle reach the truth and uncover the real murderer?

Spoiler: Partial Character List
ImageGrovyle - A young defense attorney. He takes private cases once in a while when he's not on the battling scene. His job in law is more like a hobby.

ImageZoey - A Zorua and Grovyle's adopted daughter. Found on Grovyle's doorstep and an egg, she has been with Grovyle her entire life. She is sharp, if excitable, and enjoys watching Grovyle's trials and battles.

ImagePalkia - A prosecutor who works closely with LPPU. He has only one goal when prosecuting in a trial: get a guilty verdict.

ImageDialga - A detective for LPPU. While he seems to make quite a few mistakes, he usually corrects them in the end and runs a fair investigation.

ImageCharizard - A judge who works closely with LPPU. Despite his apparent conflict of interest with the prosecution, he is known to give fair verdicts.

ImageDarkrai - A cartographer for LPPU. What is a cartographer, you ask? He makes maps. Don't hate; everyone needs a job.

ImageArceus - A judge. He prefers to wield fear and intimidation instead of a gavel.

Other characters will be added.

The video the game is based off of is Pokemon Figure: Ace Attorney - Turnabout Justice and is almost 2 hours long. Unfortunately, the video was flawed enough that I'm going to need to rewrite most of that script.

If you want to help out in any way, just let me know. I'll need quite a bit of help to get this project done, so anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JacenBoy on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Re: Grovyle: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

Great Revival

...........Interesting concept. Also didn't someone make a Turnabout Pokemon or something in PyWright?
Grovyle was always my favourite, by the way....but why not Sceptile? :yogi:

Professional Lurker

Oliver wrote:
...........Interesting concept. Also didn't someone make a Turnabout Pokemon or something in PyWright?

Grovyle was the defense attorney in the video I saw, so it's paying proper respect to the original.

There is a different Pokemon/Ace Attorney game made in PyWright, but that one took place in the human side of the Pokemon world. The only characters in this project are Pokemon.

Great Revival

JacenBoy wrote:
Oliver wrote:

Grovyle was the defense attorney in the video I saw, so it's paying proper respect to the original.

There is a different Pokemon/Ace Attorney game made in PyWright, but that one took place in the human side of the Pokemon world. The only characters in this project are Pokemon.

Huh...neat. I'm not watching the video today, because I'm a secret agent. :yogi:

This sounds like an interesting idea...I could help you with testing if you want. Also you should make an AAO thread, you could get a lot of help there.
Signature loading, please wait...

Great Revival

cesar26100 wrote:
This sounds like an interesting idea...I could help you with testing if you want. Also you should make an AAO thread, you could get a lot of help there.

I'm willing to test too.

Professional Lurker

All right! Thank you both.

I'll work on an AAO thread today.
EDIT: The thread is created, so now I'm (im)patiently waiting to see if anyone responds.

Great Revival

JacenBoy wrote:
All right! Thank you both.

I'll work on an AAO thread today.
EDIT: The thread is created, so now I'm (im)patiently waiting to see if anyone responds.

I never really look at AAO threads. :meekins:

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

I hate to say it but there are very slim chances that you're gonna get those Pokemon sprites. A lot of spriters have their own projects they're working on, and don't tend to work for authors that don't have much to show. I think you should find some kind of placeholder alternative for now; maybe resize the Pokemon game sprites or something, so that you have work to show and focus on getting the meat of the game done.

It's inconvenient, but I have seen far too many first time cases never see the light of day because of sprites or graphics no one ever volunteered for. Good luck with your project!

Shadowsleuth wrote:
I hate to say it but there are very slim chances that you're gonna get those Pokemon sprites. A lot of spriters have their own projects they're working on, and don't tend to work for authors that don't have much to show. I think you should find some kind of placeholder alternative for now; maybe resize the Pokemon game sprites or something, so that you have work to show and focus on getting the meat of the game done.

It's inconvenient, but I have seen far too many first time cases never see the light of day because of sprites or graphics no one ever volunteered for. Good luck with your project!

I have to agree with Shadowsleuth, the man knows what he's talking about.

There are some incredibly talented spriters on this site who are really helpful, but unless you have something for them to invest in and wish to be a part of, it will be hard getting them to help you out.

We all want to make something great, but it helps to be able to do the brunt of the art work yourself, even if its only just barely-passable (such as my own :basil: )

Having said that, I would be interested to see this project take off, so if you stay at your computer scripting for a month or so, then that'd be the best way to start things off :will:
Sig.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I have some music ideas:

Trial Theme: Sky Pillar from ORAS.
Objection!: Cheren's BW theme.
Pursuit: A battle theme. I'd recommend the Johto Gym Leader battle music from HGSS.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Great Revival

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Shadowsleuth wrote:

I have to agree with Shadowsleuth, the man knows what he's talking about.

There are some incredibly talented spriters on this site who are really helpful, but unless you have something for them to invest in and wish to be a part of, it will be hard getting them to help you out.

We all want to make something great, but it helps to be able to do the brunt of the art work yourself, even if its only just barely-passable (such as my own :basil: )

Having said that, I would be interested to see this project take off, so if you stay at your computer scripting for a month or so, then that'd be the best way to start things off :will:

Showing things off? Just give them the "Attorney's Badge" (The badge which bypasses the badge system) so they can skip to the Elite 4. That'll make them want to work with you easily.

Professional Lurker

This project has been revived!

I let the project die in order to focus a bit more on college, then got distracted by other things as well. I've thought about its existence for a little while, but today I've decided to get back to work on it. I do intend to finish it and I'll try not to let it die again.

As a first step to reviving Grovyle: Ace Attorney, I've created some profile placeholder stuffs! It took no skill at all Fancy! You can see them in the characters list in the OP.

Good to see the project is still alive, and I'm still willing to test (and maybe help with the plot, if you wish) but I'm curious, what are you going to do about sprites. As said above, it's unlikely you wil find someone willing to do all the artwork for someone who hasn't shown their writing skills, so you should probably find a way to get placeholder sprites for now.
Signature loading, please wait...

Professional Lurker

cesar26100 wrote:
Good to see the project is still alive, and I'm still willing to test (and maybe help with the plot, if you wish) but I'm curious, what are you going to do about sprites. As said above, it's unlikely you wil find someone willing to do all the artwork for someone who hasn't shown their writing skills, so you should probably find a way to get placeholder sprites for now.

As of right now, I'm just going to be using actual Ace Attorney sprites as placeholders. Worst case scenario, I learn how to make animated sprites myself. My main focus for now is the writing and coding. I'll worry about the sprites once I have the actual game put together.
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games