Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 3 of 3[ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Re: Pearl Fey ~ Ace Attorney - Juvenile CourtTopic%20Title

Thanks, DKO

It is October 2nd, which just so happens to be my birthday. I meant to do something to commemorate the 1 year anniversary of Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney's conception, but I totally missed the chance to. I also have to admit that the tentative release date of Turnabout Heroine will be pushed back yet again. But, fortunately, my birthday gives me an excuse to celebrate just like I intended to do a month or so ago and a chance to apologize for the delay of the game's first case.

Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney has "existed" for over a year now, and by looking at the thread here not a lot of meaningful progress can be seen, I'm sure. However, the game really is quite different now than its earliest forms from before the idea was even publicly released, so I thought it'd be fun to share the earliest ideas I had for Pearl: Fey Ace Attorney to show how far its come in the year+ its been in the works.

Clarka was originally a boy named Akio Yuusha (Great Hero Hero). Akio Yuusha was overzealous in his kindness to others, outgoing to a fault and the pinnacle of selflessness. In his own right, however, Akio was melodramatic and excessively emotional and far too naive to discern when his help is wanted or deserved. His design, manner and speaking and personality were meant to reflect tropes very heavily present in shounen and Japanese role-playing game protagonists, a cultural parallel to the western superhero derivation of Clarka's current iteration.

Turnabout Heroine existed very similarly to its current state in concept and basis, but wasn't fully developed until Akio Yuushya already became Clarka Kentwood. In its original iteration, however, the culprit was a "girly boy" and distinct opposite to Akio Yuushya. While Akio Yuushya was preoccupied with superheroes and helping people, the culprit was very reserved and fond of dolls. With no distinct motive in mind in the original iteration, however, the sole difference in the basis of the case was that the Seekers of Hope were dressed in baby doll garments, which incriminated the very prim and girly Lexi Litha.

Akio Yuushya was then changed to Clarka Kentwood and given a western superhero aesthetic. The change to a female assistant was brought about by the binary opposition that was meant to exist between Clarka and the culprit -- a boyish girl and a girly boy -- and was played off of for a dynamic and implied love interest. The change to western superheroes was chosen to reflect the character's interest in the Seekers of Hope, obvious parodies of American superheroes, and thus to maintain thematic consistency. In time, however, the girly boy character was stripped from the game, but there were more reasons to maintain the character of Clarka Kentwood than to not and so she stayed as you can see her now.

In the original iteration of the case no detective existed and the role was played by the prosecution. The prosecution was also the first character to be planned for the game. The prosecutor, rather than the chuunibyou syndrome allusions that now play into his and Clarka's characters, was a person who took on a variety of personalities over the course of the game. In the first case, he played a Sherlock Holmes expy, later a shounen hero parody (later played into Akio and then Clarka) and in the final case he would become a parodic representation of JRPG final bosses. However, due to allusions to DPD and the poor representation of the disorder and its tonal dissonance with the game, the character was soon stripped before too much progress was made.

His Sherlock Holmes satirizing was taken and reused as the basis for the character of one Shamus Flatfoot, who became the game's main detective. Shamus is one of just two characters to not undergo any major changes since his conception, as the idea for a Hall Monitor detective was well received and despite his broadening as the character in the upcoming major OP update, he still maintains his position as the Anglophile Hall Monitor who believes himself a Great Detective. This also inspired the conception of Johann Waterson, Shamus's "Watson", and the creation of a detective duo.

The prosecutor's shounen hero parody later played into Akio's design and the JRPG final boss gimmick was kept for the prosecutor to keep a dynamic between himself and Akio. However, the shift from eastern to western superheroes and the JRPG final boss parody is what inspired the final prosecutor, Vandal Fisk, who was also changed for thematic consistency and new story involvement.

Lexi Litha is almost the same character as she was before, but before she had with her a posse of "knights" who carried out her will among the student body and made her a true princess of Japanifornia Elementary, and she was a forgetful monarch who got upset when her will was carried out how she asked but she confused the details of over time. However, in her current iteration, Lexi is a failed princess with her influence over the student body now lost since before the beginning of the game. However, the "knight" character hasn't been scrapped; the specifics of the character, however, and many major changes to Lexi, her character and her story involvement play directly into late-game plot points and can't be elaborated upon here. I can, however, say that Lexi is an important recurring character who plays the unconventional role of Prosecutorial Aide.

No major case ideas were scrapped but just one involving the "murder" of an imaginary friend. It was inspired by a story told by my 9th grade health teacher about how sometimes when kids come to the realization that their imaginary friends are imaginary, they'll attempt to justify their nonexistence by reacting as if the imaginary friend "died". However, if this was the case, the other victim, the "imaginer", could just rat out the person who made them realize that their imaginary friend isn't imaginary, so the cruelly hilarious way I intended to work around it by having the character be a first grade mute who, in lieu of sign-language that she has yet to learn, can only communicate via drawings and some words that she puts on paper, but her drawing/writing is absolutely horrendous, making her virtually incoherent and so in their attempt to draw the culprit, their drawing is mistaken for something that leads everyone to suspect the defendant. But the case was ultimately scrapped due to the depressing nature of the victim, the tonal dissonance and overall a lack of a proper way to structure a mystery around it.

It was originally going to be the fourth case due to its bizarre nature, though the fourth case is now, obviously entirely different. What I can note about the fourth case is that its a flashback case that develops the personality and dynamic between two major players in Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney's storyline and serves as the preamble to a major arc in the narrative -- overall the expected fourth case.

This is overall a fine summation of the development cycle of Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney from 2017 to 2018 and I think better shows the change over time Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney has experience than the OP ever could. I wanted to show this to show that Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney is an important project to me, and I do nothing that I don't think will make it the best game I can make it and I'm glad to have a chance to share that.

Mia Payne

Ah dang. Delays

manifesting ciconia phase 2

Biggest oof in the oofiverse

Mia Payne

Hey how goes the progress? It's been a couple of months since the last update.

Thanks, DKO

Due to my recently-ended grounding, PF:AA had ended up entering development hell. However, teaser material related to the final version of Turnabout Heroine will be released within the next two weeks. Apologies for the wait!

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

IsaOfTheWorlds wrote:
recently-ended grounding

IsaOfTheWorlds wrote:
the next two weeks

rip
Good evening. Nate here.

Ay thx for poking us tho blizdi its good to see that ppl still care about the game

As Ive said before all visual assets have been completed for case 1 so the hard part is out of the way
we just have music and coding and scriptwriting to go now but you know how we feel about that

so release date would be hopefully before may this year don't trust us tho
meanwhile have some stuff i did

Spoiler: image dump
lil krump

payne jr (teeechnically not by me but tslash our other spriter)

judge dude

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

Double KO wrote:
we just have music and coding and scriptwriting to go now

Double KO wrote:
coding

...Could I maybe offer to help?
Good evening. Nate here.

Mia Payne

Don't be discouraged by lack of posting. Many people who view the Games threads are guests and don't post

Or are not guests and just have nothing helpful to say despite being interested in stuff aka me
Signature loading, please wait...

Thanks, DKO

No more delays and no more hiatuses. Pearl Fey: Ace Attorney has made a strong break out of development hell and is looking for a late-July release for its first case at the latest.

Unprofessional FranzyFan&Voice Actor

Yeah what he said
Re: Pearl Fey ~ Ace Attorney - Juvenile Court (Teaser ReleasTopic%20Title

Thanks, DKO

The first six minutes of PF:AA are now publicly available for you to watch (with placeholder music) on Youtube, posted in the OP.

Yabba Dabba Doo

IsaOfTheWorlds wrote:
The first six minutes of PF:AA are now publicly available for you to watch (with placeholder music) on Youtube, posted in the OP.

Huzzah!

How are things looking so far?

Progress is moving at a snail's pace. Not much I can do about it, since my part of the workload is done. Case 1 will probably drop, but I don't know when.

(About 3 years older than Pearly)

:phoenix:
Re: (T&T SPOILERS!) Pearl Fey ~ Ace Attorney - Juvenile CourTopic%20Title

Thanks, DKO

Yooo, whaaaaaat!? The OP has been UPDATED!? That's INSANE!

Changes made in the recent update:
-The setting/premise of the game has been entirely rewritten
-All uses of the name "Japanifornia" have been replaced with "California"
-All uses of the name "Japanifornia Elementary School" have been replaced with "Younglawe Elementary School"
-Lexi Litha's name was changed to Mai Laday (my lady).
-Various changes to the description of "Case 1 - Turnabout Heroine"
-Various changes to the descriptions of characters from "Case 1 - Turnabout Heroine"
-"Case 2 ~ Turnabout Spirit" has been ENTIRELY scrapped!
-Added details for "Case 2 ~ Time to Turnabout"
-Added details for Andrew O'Card, defendant of "Case 2 ~ Time to Turnabout"
-Added details for "Case 3 ~ Turnaround Turnabout"
-Added details for Paige Turner, defendant of "Case 3 ~ Turnaround Turnabout"
-Removed the old 6 minute preview (it is outdated).

Thanks, DKO

Also, yes, this means progress is going well. I'm in a state where I'm feeling pretty good about the game and how it's going along. I can't wait for people to see what's been brewing, even if it's probably 6 years too late.

Thanks, DKO

Case 1's script's first draft is now totally done from start to finish. We'll be able to roll out beta-tests starting around late-September! If anyone is interested in playing an early version of the case and offering feedback, let me know!

Prosecutors, Thieves, and Money

Been following developments of this game and I would love to beta-test it and give feedback if you want me to.

the last romantic alive

I am interested in play-testing it, in case that's fine with you.

Thanks, DKO

Ashura, GlitchTimes, we're running a bit behind because the person who does coding is on vacation, but progress is still moving along steadily. I've been taking this time to run the script through revisions while I wait. Could you guys PM me your Discord #'s so I could send you the beta when it's ready?

Thanks so much for agreeing to do this for us!

Prosecutors, Thieves, and Money

I'm sorry to ask, but I don't know how to? I can't PM anyone on Court Records for some reason; I don't how to make it let me do so?

HeartfeltDesu wrote:
[center]Title: Pearl Fey ~ Ace Attorney - Juvenile Court
PyWright / Ace Attorney Online Project Headed by IsaOfTheWorlds
Spoiler: Contributors--Spriters
Double KO
TripleSlice
Ucha Nekome
Skosi

Spoiler: Contributors--Co-Writers/Comedians
TripleSlice
Ucha Nekome
FanFreak (owner of the Case Developer Discord)

Setting:
Months after the events at Hazakura Temple, Pearl Fey still holds herself responsible for her part in her mother's plan to attack her cousin, Maya... She decides that if she wants to protect Mystic Maya just like Phoenix does, so nothing like what happened at the temple can happen again, she needs to get a lot smarter! So she goes to the one place she knows where kids can get smarter: elementary school!

However, the court-worshipping principal of Younglawe Elementary, Mr. Laday, has founded a school court where children play the roles of lawyer and prosecutor. When a student is accused of playing a prank or breaking a school rule, they're brought to this school court so that their classmates can find the truth... After a fateful encounter with the school's hall monitor, Pearl Fey gets roped into becoming the school's latest defense attorney, giving her the chance to learn to be just like Mr. Nick, exactly as she wanted..!

Spoiler: Case 1 ~ Turnabout Heroine:
Defense Attorney: Pearl Fey
Prosecutor: Fantine Payne
Victim: Clarka Kentwood (and the Seekers of Hope), Johanne Watterson
Defendant: Mai Laday
Crime: Stealing Clarka Kentwood's toys from Johanne's locker and locking them on the school's roof

Pearl Fey arrives at Younglawe Elementary and is greeted by chaos ensuing as our victims find themselves locked on top of the school roof. When every other student at Younglawe Elementary refuses to defend Mai Laday, due to her reputation of being something of a bully, Pearl Fey is pressured into defending her as her one and only shot at having her name cleared!

But the toys were locked on the roof of the school, and Mai Laday is the only one with access to the door to the roof... how could someone else commit this crime? Isn't it impossible..?

Current Progress:
Planning: 100%
Spriting: 100%
Miscellaneous Visuals: 100%
Coding: 10%

Spoiler: Characters -- Clarka Kentwood
Clarka Kentwood is the victim of Turnabout Heroine and assistant to Pearl throughout Pearl Fey ~ Ace Attorney. 9 year old 3rd grader and peer to Pearl, Clarka Kentwood is a zealous fan of the recent brand of fictional lawyer-themed superheroes, the Seekers of Hope, whom she believes are real and are being channeled through her action figures. She is notably smug and confident in her demeanor, often tossing around lingo common for the characters in the The Seekers of Hope comics, a notable mixture of super-hero and lawyer quips. She and Vandal form a duality that play on cliches present in superhero v supervillain conflicts, but also tropes present heavily in Ace Attorney's lawyer v prosecutor conflicts.

Name: "Clarka" is a feminine corruption of "Clark". "Kentwood" is a corruption of the surname "Kent." Clark Kent is the secret identity of DC superhero "Superman," fitting with Clarka's belief that she is, herself, a superhero.

Preliminary sketch drawn by Double KO
Sprite sketches drawn by Double KO

Spoiler: Characters -- Johann Waterson
Johann is a Hall Monitor and protege to Shamus Flatfoot, one of the two characters occupying the role of "detective". Though a 10 year old 4th grader, Johann is intelligent, crafty and hard-working. As an excellent student, he was well respected among the student and teacher body, and so was chosen to succeed Shamus as the head Hall Monitor.

Kind-hearted and martyrous, he fell from grace after defending Clarka from Lexi Litha's bullying and the others who followed her in kind. Now with harassment also being directed at him, he began to lose respect from most other students. Despite his willingness to defend Clarka, Johann is generally unassertive and meek, not often speaking up when he feels as if something or someone is unfair towards him, and he usually accepts the bullying people direct at him without complaint and without tattling. However, as of working under Shamus, Johann gets a burst of self-confidence allowing him to now apprehend rule-breakers when need be.

Name: Johann Waterson is a corruption of John Watson, which references him working under Shamus as Watson does for Sherlock Holmes.

Spoiler: Characters -- Shamus Flatfoot
Shamus Flatfoot is a Hall Monitor, being one of the two characters occupying the role of "detective", and is an 11 year old 5th grader. Shamus Flatfoot is, in his role, self-important and subtly condescending. He willingly adopts the persona of a detective and speaks in a funny, effected way...

Name: Shamus Flatfoot follows a naming trend set by detective Dick Gumshoe from the official Ace Attorney games in that his given and surnames are both synonymous with "detective."

Spoiler: Characters --Mai Laday
Mai Laday is the defendant of Turnabout Heroine, 11 year old 5th grader, and daughter of the Younglawe Elementary School's principal, resulting in her becoming the self-proclaimed "princess of Younglawe Elementary". She often uses her relationship to the principal to push people around. She's a well-known bully, and loves giving people rotten nicknames.

Name: Mai Laday is "My lady", a term of endearment for a woman in a position of authority, like a princess

Spoiler: Characters--Fantine Payne
Fantine Payne is exclusively the prosecutor of Turnabout Heroine, and is an 11 year old 5th grader, peer to Shamus. She is the awkward, self-conscious granddaughter of Winston Payne, who attempts to mask her insecurities by emulating the demeanor of her proud prosecutor grandfather -- with much notable deliberation and anxiety.

Name: Fantine Payne is a corruption of "faint in pain", following the trend of the Payne family's names reading as phrases related to reactions to physical distress.

Spoiler: Characters -- Hugh Toole
Hugh Toole is a 23 year old educator at the Younglawe Elementary School and honorary judge who presides over all of Pearl's trials. Thanks to the likes of Phoenix Wright, recently lawyers have started to be held in high regard, and as a result the Younglawe Elementary School has started providing classes dealing in the Californian legal system, of which Hugh Toole is the teacher, making him the perfect candidate to act as judge.

Despite his young age, the melodramatic ensemble of bizarre youth who attend Younglawe Elementary School who deal with their drama by means of overly convoluted schemes and plots have left him with balding, graying hair and a passive acceptance of the oblivion constantly breaking loose about him.

Name: Hugh Toole is a play on "huge tool", which he has become to his job.

Spoiler: Case 2 ~ Time to Turnabout
Defense's Aide: Clarka Kentwood
Prosecutor: Vandal Fisk
Prosecutor's Aide: Mai Laday
Victim(s): Younglawe Elementary School
Defendant: Andrew O'Card
Crime: Hosting an illegal card-game tournament in the school, gambling for money, cheating

Andrew O'Card is on his way to becoming the world's best Seekers of Hope TCG player! So, when a secret, underground Seekers of Hope TCG tournament is hosted and he's invited, he's more than happy to prove his metal in his favorite card! But when the event is discovered by the school, Shamus Flatfoot reveals he has evidence that O'Card is the one who hosted the "illegal" tournament in the first place...

Worried that his reputation as a master gamer is at stake, Andrew O'Card calls upon Pearl Fey and Clarka Kentwood to defend him from the new prosecutor, a supervillain who appears to take the card game very seriously...

Current Progress:
Planning: 30%
Spriting: 0%
Miscellaneous Visuals: 5%
Coding: 0%

Spoiler: Characters -- Andrew O'Card
Andrew O'Card is a very self-confident, but nonetheless unpopular and geeky young man who loves one thing and one thing only: the Seekers of Hope TCG! He believes he's on track to become the world's best SoHTCG player, and never passes up an opportunity to prove his ability in the game!

Name: Andrew O'Card is meant to sound like "And drew a card".

Spoiler: Case 3 ~ Turnaround Turnabout
Defense's Aide: Clarka Kentwood
Prosecutor: Vandal Fisk
Prosecutor's Aide: Mai Laday
Victim(s): Sandy Hamwich, the Class Pet Hamster
Defendant: Paige Turner

A locked-room murder mystery in Younglawe Elementary!? It's more likely than you think!

Paige Turner is a lonely, bookish girl who likes to stay inside at recess and read mystery novels... So, when four of her classmates are looking into the window of the classroom to make fun of her, only to witness her murdering the class pet hamster Sandy Hamwich, they know she's the only person who could've done it!

The school building is locked tight at recess, Paige Turner was the only student inside of the school at the time the murder occurred, it's impossible for someone else to have been hiding in the school, and multiple witnesses saw the hamster fall over and die the second she put her hand into its cage! Who else could commit the crime in this locked-room mystery!?

Spoiler: Characters -- Paige Turner
Paige Turner is a 9 year old fourth grader who likes to read mystery novels. She's shy and not very assertive, so she tends to stay inside at recess so she doesn't have to compete for time on the playground swing. She loves puzzles and riddles, and will often interrupt conversations to pose a brain-teaser to someone. She says she learned a lot of them from her father's British friend, "Uncle Hershey"...

Name: Paige Turner = "page turner", a term for a very enjoyable book you can't put down

Ms.HeartFeltDesu did i understand this correctly this is made in PyWright AND Aaonline.fr? If i understood this correctly i COULD help with some sprites for new characters my own ace attorney fan game should give enough or more examples of my work
Page 3 of 3 [ 106 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Present Evidence » Games