Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 20 posts ]

Where's the respect for the other casemakers?Topic%20Title

A fad in a castle

If this is in the wrong board, feel free to move it.

Hey all. Something I've noticed among the case-making forum of CR. Yeah everyone wants to make a pretty goshdarn good case, so do I in the future even. There's plenty of working case-makers out there, and many of them are a heck of a lot better than that supposed 'official' casemaker known as "Let's Make Gyakuten Saiban". I'm pretty sure we can all agree with that, right?

Now here's the deal. You all know MechaBowser and his infamous CaseMaker 1, 2, and the upcoming three. Built to have an easy interface that most people I see here are interested in. Nothing bad and all, but there's a problem with that. MechaBowser's easy interface work has been taking all of the respect, interest etc. There's barely any compliments let along criticism for the other casemakers.

Why you ask? Probably because the other casemakers involve coding. Sure everyone likes the easy stuff, but you must understand that the other casemakers took a very long time to develop, some taking even longer than CaseMaker 3's progress. We can choose what we want, but there's hardly any respect for the other people who spend their time making us something, when they could have been doing something else. People take things for granted and it really annoys me.

All I ask is that the other casemakers get some of the respect they deserve. Also might I note that programming casemakers means you can do TONS more things than you could in an easy interface. For example. Let's say I wanted to create a system that was a mix of both Psyche Locks and the perceive system. It'll be possible on programming but not on an easy interface that directly programs everything for you. It may take a long time to learn the coding language and to compile it, but in the then it'll be worth. People will be amazed by something introduced into a PW fan game that might never exist in a canon PW game.

And finally, not all programming languages are too difficult to learn. There's usually just a few basic steps and plenty of guides out there. Need extra help? Ask a forum member then. ALso remember that Capcom didn't make an editor for their game, they done everything by scratch. To do everything by scratch is difficult, which is why we're provided with editors and engines. Let's give a big round of applause for all those who spend their time making an engine or an editor for us.

*Slow clapping of happy gesture*
ImageImageImage
Re: Where's the respect for the other casemakers?Topic%20Title

machinimator

I'm very eager for the flash one. If it's done right, it shouldn't be hard to add whatever I want. Dialog spinning across the screen while it pans across several exploration locations at once, evidence is shown, sound effects go off, and a light keeps blinking in the corner? Only in Flash.
Of course, all judgement should be reserved until they're all DONE. It's hard to tell how effective each case maker is until it's in a presentable form.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Lazy Programmer

I agree with you. We should respect all case makers and their potential. So far, the only editor that exists for creating phoenix wright games was Mechabowser case maker. And above all, he was the only one doing different small releases to people, and we never appreciated it. Now that he is making case maker 3, we should encourage him, let alone he left his old releases to us to use, something that no one else have brought an easy editor case maker to let us do something big out of small potential.

I could try to do a case maker with simple coding. Lets just say I can use C++ and create an ms-dos interface case editor with code that is object oriented. But once you try it, you will see it requires a lot of effort, a lot of time that you have to leave other important tasks in your life (your family, your job or education, even your own health life). Therefore, we should all appreciate to all what people do in this community.

A fad in a castle

8mapz wrote:
I agree with you. We should respect all case makers and their potential. So far, the only editor that exists for creating phoenix wright games was Mechabowser case maker. And above all, he was the only one doing different small releases to people, and we never appreciated it. Now that he is making case maker 3, we should encourage him, let alone he left his old releases to us to use, something that no one else have brought an easy editor case maker to let us do something big out of small potential.

I could try to do a case maker with simple coding. Lets just say I can use C++ and create an ms-dos interface case editor with code that is object oriented. But once you try it, you will see it requires a lot of effort, a lot of time that you have to leave other important tasks in your life (your family, your job or education, even your own health life). Therefore, we should all appreciate to all what people do in this community.

Giving encouragement to Mecha is fine, but the point for this thread was to give encouragement to ALL casemaker developers. Not just Mecha.
ImageImageImage

Gumshoe: Like gum on your shoe.

Yes, it is convenient to make a case with an easy interface. However, the easier the interface, the less you can actually customize. If it requires coding, you can do MUCH more than easy interface. If they do require coding, you could always open up the internet and have a little resource page or whatever to help you with the coding. If you can't code, you can still use the other case makers. Sure, I only posted in Mechabowser's topic, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try different case makers, no?

(I think this is the longest post I've ever made... :udgy: )
The knife in my trunk is for killing threads.

CourtEngine Programmer

^^ I appreciate the creation of this thread :)

Mine "the flash one" [CourtEngine] doesn't actually require 'coding' as everything is handled via XML structure and CES Scripts "CourtEngine Script". But thats not to say that no flexibility is there. Theres a tag called "Special Action" that allows you to overlay an animation and play it instantly. Want an example: how about a Boot ;) And the Tween Tag allows you to scale, rotate, and move any object on screen for any length of time.
...know where im going with this ;)
The editor will allow you create entire sequences with ease like :)
CourtEngine Prototype: 69%
"XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it."

AIGE/PWLib Casemaker Developer

It seems people didn't get the idea of this topic. The big deal is that people are overestimating MB's CM3 and not giving any feedback (with a few exceptions) to the other casemakers. MB is doing the easy way on his CM3, and me and Kanada are going the hard, bumpy way. So some appreciation, comments and words of encouragement are important to keep every casemaker going. Saying you will use PWLib or KanadaKid's Case Maker is good to know, but showing interest in posting some words makes wonders.

It fees like me and KanadaKid will have to make a stunning release to crush CM3 epically. I wouldn't like to do it, but if things keep this way, it seems it will be the only path to make people listen. We casemaker programmers could easy integrate out projects and make good stuff (as I'm working with KanadaKid to get the Psyche-Lock animations). Think the effort that me and KanadaKid have to make our casemakers. We (at least me) want a peaceful casemaker scene. Don't force it to go on a war-like scenario.

PS. I'm not counting CourtEngine since it isn't a casemaker, but it too deserves attention.
PWLib 1.2 Under Development

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

^ Ji Hye Jang

My hopes aren't high for MechaBowser's anyway... >_> Of course, if it /does/ come out, great, but yeah... after 2.1...

It's a tough decision between PWLib and KK's casemaker, I guess in the end it'll come down to a combination of which one's out first and which one's easier to use... but since even PWLib seems easy enough, and it'd be the most flexible I think?...
Proud creator of the first released PWLib-made fangame! ^_^

Lazy Programmer

Super Judge Bro. wrote:
Giving encouragement to Mecha is fine, but the point for this thread was to give encouragement to ALL casemaker developers. Not just Mecha.

Well yeah..did we ever not encourage other case makers other than Mecha cause we prejudice him that he will never complete his stuff? I emphasized Mecha because he was the only one to take the most negative feedback from users.

But I understand your main point. There are many people who make case makers. But lets take things as in a programming contest. Would you be evaluated if you didn't post some of your results? How can you get a partial credit without showing the real thing? Truth is, the world is cruel sometimes, and yes, we shouldn't be cruel at all.

So I admit I was a little cruel right here, and I guess I am sorry I didn't gave any words for the people who make other case makers. Cause you never know, I would have been in their place too.

KSA_Tech wrote:
It fees like me and KanadaKid will have to make a stunning release to crush CM3 epically. I wouldn't like to do it, but if things keep this way, it seems it will be the only path to make people listen. We casemaker programmers could easy integrate out projects and make good stuff (as I'm working with KanadaKid to get the Psyche-Lock animations). Think the effort that me and KanadaKid have to make our casemakers. We (at least me) want a peaceful casemaker scene. Don't force it to go on a war-like scenario.

I guess thats a good idea. Developers shouldn't only entrust their own creations only to their full potential, but as to users as well. Thats why beta testing exists. And yes, unfortunately, it has to be user friendly to users, we once have to think the behaviour of our audience, the one that demands it.

You are right. You guys may be doing more work than other developers and you are not required to do them in part of your life. KSA_Tech and Kanakid, don't worry you guys. I will use your casemakers as much as possible when they are released. All case makers look excellent to make other games too! Like a Detective Conan Adventure Game. I am all into you guys. I just didn't talk cause there isn't any big release yet.

Yeah, but CM3 didn't get released also. Support during development helps too, and makes the programmer himself confident that he is doing something people appreciate. That's the missing point.

Also we casemakers could ally to exchange ideas and make better casemakers, i think. I have contact with KanadaKid, but not to MechaBowser yet. If he ever express any interest into a friendly alliance, that could make the scene pretty much peaceful. I heard a lot about MB, but I never really did talk to him, so I can't conclude anything.

Sorry to note, but CM2 had beginner programming errors. Some people complain about it strongly, but others praise it godly. The classic effect of the "first casemaker to live". So CM3 is totally out of it (I guess it).

EDIT:
Just to clarify the idea of alliance: it is to exchange gfx/ideas at most, not make look alike casemakers.

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

CourtEngine Programmer

KSA_Tech wrote:
im not counting CourtEngine, since it isnt a casemaker
Ouch dude! that kinda hurt... :sadshoe:
"XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it."

I didn't had the intention to do that, sorry. :scientific: CourtEngine, as you said, isn't a full featured casemaker like PWLib, KK's CM, CM3, so... (You said it is a fanfic maker if I'm not wrong.)

:godot: :draw:

CourtEngine Programmer

well in all reality, it technically is a "casemaker", as yourstill capable of designing scenaros inside and out of the courtroom via readied assets or completely your own from title screen to credit sequence. I only truely lack in V1 the ability to investigate and present evidence. I may have a different appeal in target for v1, but i wouldnt discredit CourtEngine as not being a casemaker. :phoenix:

Also, plans and request have been coming in and planning for v2 is already in place.

dont take this as a direct attack, as its not, lets just say, v1 is an initial stepping stone, with a goal in mind ;)

I considered CourtEdit a FanMovie/Fanfic Maker, that's why. In theory it is a casemaker, but I just separated it into another category on its own.

Shoulda been Brawldude, but was taken

PyWright's also pretty good compared to PWLib, and that leaves Case Maker in the dark, IMO.
I do all of my cases on PyWright because of a graphics bug with PWlib which (according to KSA_Tech) is likely due to the video card I use. PyWright works pretty well. OCs are definitly easy with PyWright, too. It also supports multiple penalty bars (quite useful I must add). I've never tried Case Maker before, maybe at some point I should just try it. I want to learn to use all casemakers so I can be flexible, say because my friend can't open RAR archives. PyWright and PWLib are the best ones I know of ATM.
Click the sig to see my graphics topic!

My sig -is- original. Lots of people just make sigs similar to this one a lot.

Uhh, 1 year bump to an out-of-date thread?

Case Maker is dead, and there's no need to bring it back up. It was surpassed by all current casemakers/case engines around (PWLib, PWright, AAO) by a large margin.

Comparing the engines is quite the issue, and each casemaker has cons and pros, and unique properties. People tend to analyze them from their needs instead of their full potential, so it turns into a personal compare.

PWLib for example is the most advanced and powerful case engine around (due to AIGE's core), but most people simply use the PW-provided functions it provides. And due to its different approach compared to the other makers, it turns out to be more complicated to use.
PyWright is not so powerful as PWLib, but since it is PW-guided entirely, it is easier to develop with.

So considering the best option depends on the person choosing it. It is based on need X interest.
Person A might like PWLib more for what ever reason, maybe because they want to develop something extra.
Person B might like in the other hand PyWright because he/she doesn't want to learn a programming language.

It's the night of the living dead (post)!

Kind of fun though to see what has happened in a year though. Pretty awesome in fact.

The future is even brighter, so many cool games on the horizon.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

We can say we have a variety of options for every taste:

From the full programming solution (PWLib) passing by the mid term (PyWright) to the casual non-programmer one (AAO).

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Ok obsolete thread, time to go bye-bye~
ImageImage
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games