Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 3 of 4[ 127 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: Metal - All hail the \m/ !Topic%20Title

What do you see behind the mask?

Reviving this because Sabaton are making a new album and I'm very excited *g*
It will come out on the 21st of May, most likely - Here's a teaser on YouTube: Coat of Arms
Listen to the complete song on Myspace! Coat of Arms @ Myspace

I personally adore it, it's quite catchy.

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

Metal has lost one of it's legends:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100516/ap_ ... mes_dio_12

RIP Ronnie \m/

The Real Human Being

Johnny Rotan wrote:
Metal has lost one of it's legends:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100516/ap_ ... mes_dio_12

RIP Ronnie \m/

Death happens, like the end of a great song.

Idol of Polar Bears

Dio's going to rock the SHIT out of hell tonight. \m/

~Your Favorite Fixation with A Bite~

Darling has a strong interest in music by Vehemence. Although Darling does not know many people who know of them as well.

A song that I am quite fond of by them is "Kill for God."

Hmm..
ImageImage

<3

:)

My favorite metal bands are Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica and Sins Of Thy Beloved. :)

I love Tarja's new album.

Call me Ishmael.

Any Crashdïet fans here? Their albums kick ass, especially Rest In Sleaze and Generation Wild.

Also, I discovered a pretty good power metal band called Rhapsody of Fire a few weeks ago.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Can't say I've ever listened to Crashdiet, I'll check out some of their stuff.
Anyone here who listens to Nevermore? Their vocals are just extraordinary, and the guitar work is out of this world, I have a hard time picking a favourite album, they all have their qualities.

Marche Tobaye wrote:
Any Crashdïet fans here? Their albums kick ass, especially Rest In Sleaze and Generation Wild.

Also, I discovered a pretty good power metal band called Rhapsody of Fire a few weeks ago.

I saw the music video to their song Riot In Everyone. It has a very uplifting tune, captivating vocals and lyrics. They have a nostalgic and awesome image.

Et tu, Brute?

I only listen to Viking Metal.

Examples- Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God

Opeth- Ghost of Perdition

It's empowering and beautiful- yet doesn't fall into the realm of heavy metal, black metal and thrash metal- which I consider appalling (I want to hear the music- not the death growls of an overweight 40 year old, bearded man).

Et tu, Brute?

*Double post- Internet lag...

The Twisted Samurai

I love Nightwish, Metallica and Rammstein, Dragonforce is also pretty nice and Sabaton is totally epic.
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Elegant Brute wrote:

It's empowering and beautiful- yet doesn't fall into the realm of heavy metal, black metal and thrash metal- which I consider appalling (I want to hear the music- not the death growls of an overweight 40 year old, bearded man).

Those are nice songs. :)
reading your thread The Most Beautiful Music, I think you would also like Nightwish when Tarja was in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejnck_pnSWk&feature=fvst

Elegant Brute wrote:

I'm not sure how Opeth classifies as Viking Metal (is that even a real genre? :hobolaugh: ), but it's some kickass music none the less, though I'm more into their older stuff myself like My Arms your Hearse and Still Life. Listened to any of their older albums? Thoughts?

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Elegant Brute wrote:

Since when are Opeth viking metal? Aren't they supposed to be Progressive/Death-Metal? :/ ....anyway, I really love Mikael Ackerfeldt's voice <3

Elegant Brute wrote:

Back then, I didn't like any of these genres either but over time, I've really grown very fond of black metal or at least more to the sub-genres than to the "real true Norwegian black metal". At first, I didn't like the growling parts either but I got used to it eventually and even started to understand most of the things they were growling in the songs.
I really hope that you won't stop trying to get into metal just because some bands include growling instead of singing into their songs. Otherwise, you will be attached to only a few genres pretty much for forever and that would be sad.

All that being said, I still don't like most of the heavy metal bands out there, at least not the old-school ones. Manowar, Iron Maiden and others are just urgh...

@Goodolcola: yes, viking metal really exists... and it sounds a lot less stupid than pirate metal :P
--------------------

Ehm, I'm pretty much into symphonic/experimental black metal right now. It basically sounds like an opera about Halloween mixed with melodic metal. It's pretty much awesome~

Symphonic, Melodic and heavy metal are my favorites, but I'm not really that fussy.

Has anyone listened to Within Temptation's first album Enter?

Et tu, Brute?

@ Chloe: That is indeed an epic song, thanks for the recommendation. :redd: This is generally the type of metal that I listen to: melodic and intricate music, though still heavy (versus the randomness of thrash) and singing as opposed to growling. That being said, the singing does not have to be good- as long as its understandable.

@ Goodolcola: Opeth has more or less transcended all metal genres- that is why it is so good. Nonetheless, they started as Viking and most of their pieces still are Viking Metal.

There are 2 main distinctions between Viking and other metal genres: 1) An emphasis on narrative within their pieces- usually delving into Nordic mythology. Very empowering. 2) More importantly, Viking metal employs melodic undertones beneath the outward, headbanging chords.

I'm not too keen on the 'classic' metal stuff- it's too hardcore and 'thrashy' for me. :payne:

@ Nemesis: That's exactly what my friends have said. That the growling will grow on you lol. I guess I should keep my ears open, though some of the older stuff (the examples you have listed), as well as bands like Deicide makes me cringe.

I also don't like how they have a political message :fire: , which is quite different than the simply 'take it or leave it' narrative structure of Viking.

Elegant Brute wrote:
@ Goodolcola: Opeth has more or less transcended all metal genres- that is why it is so good. Nonetheless, they started as Viking and most of their pieces still are Viking Metal.

There are 2 main distinctions between Viking and other metal genres: 1) An emphasis on narrative within their pieces- usually delving into Nordic mythology. Very empowering. 2) More importantly, Viking metal employs melodic undertones beneath the outward, headbanging chords.

I'm not too keen on the 'classic' metal stuff- it's too hardcore and 'thrashy' for me. :payne:

Oh well, each to their own, though I like to keep it simple and just call them progressive dm. :keiko:

Classic metal stuff? Are you talking about the older Opeth albums, I guess Orchid and Morningrise could be considered a bit thrashy, but MYAH (and still life to some extent) is a lot like their recent stuff but with a touch of black metal (in a good way).

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Elegant Brute wrote:
@ Nemesis: [...] I also don't like how they have a political message :fire: , which is quite different than the simply 'take it or leave it' narrative structure of Viking.

Spoiler: rant
I don't like such songs either. It kind of feels to me that everyone just wants to jump on the bandwagon of writing songs about how much the politics suck and that we need peace and all that hippie stuff. It seems like some bands have been trying to prove that they actually can write something slightly intelligent for a change *coughs*Good Charlotte, they aren't metal but still*coughs*...

If it's really about the message they want to spread, they need to realize that the more I'm forced to listen to songs about hypocritical politicians, the less I am actually getting or want to get their messages. It gets old, annoying and I'm simply not the type of person who can stand to listen to songs with the same old lyrics about the same old problem about the same old government every day. Nobody actually believes a musician who suddenly had the urge to turn into next Ghandi anyway... it just seems fake. All in all, it's just fake people spreading fake messages or at least trying to spread those.

--------------------
Need some help here:

Can someone recommend me any new bands which sound slightly bizarre/experimental with melodic or symphonic elements? Maybe some unknown band outside the U.S.A. and Europe? Metalcore, Grindcore or anything else containing the words -core is a no-go for me.

Et tu, Brute?

Nemesis wrote:
Elegant Brute wrote:
@ Nemesis: [...] I also don't like how they have a political message :fire: , which is quite different than the simply 'take it or leave it' narrative structure of Viking.

Spoiler: rant
I don't like such songs either. It kind of feels to me that everyone just wants to jump on the bandwagon of writing songs about how much the politics suck and that we need peace and all that hippie stuff. It seems like some bands have been trying to prove that they actually can write something slightly intelligent for a change *coughs*Good Charlotte, they aren't metal but still*coughs*...

If it's really about the message they want to spread, they need to realize that the more I'm forced to listen to songs about hypocritical politicians, the less I am actually getting or want to get their messages. It gets old, annoying and I'm simply not the type of person who can stand to listen to songs with the same old lyrics about the same old problem about the same old government every day. Nobody actually believes a musician who suddenly had the urge to turn into next Ghandi anyway... it just seems fake. All in all, it's just fake people spreading fake messages or at least trying to spread those.

Your rant is my rant. I would also like to add that the second most annoying trend (particularly in Metal) is an unbarring militant atheism...yeah we get it already, the Christians somehow screwed up Nordic culture...now shut up and play some music!!! :zenitora:

Annette from Nightwish recently had a son this year and she named it Nemo. I find it cute and hilarious because I can't help but feel she named it after the Nightwish song.

She's also uploaded a picture of her with Tuomas and there's a nice one of her on her blog. http://anette-olzon.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... l#comments

I haz the smart pills

Well i have a feeling that i may be hated for posting this because some won't consider this metal but here goes nothing.

I am a fan of metalcore, deathcore (i guess it's a subgenre of metal... i hope) death metal, melodic death metal and viking metal (along with others outside the metal category) however if you haven't noticed i only really like subgenres of metal with screaming.

If you are willing to give them a try i would reccomend

Metalcore:
-The Devil Wears Prada (some people say they are girl metal but their new album is rather heavy compared to their earlier works)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkRzYlhflE

- Chimaira (these guys are amazing and have some awesome... (cant think of right word) tunes?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzv7O9siFXY

Deathcore:
- Whitechapel (I love this band and the speed the lead guy growls at is amazing. This band is known for its deep growls with its high screams)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMCGz1EKzU&ob=av2e

Deathmetal:
- The Black Dahlia Murder (dahlia lol fits into the forums i guess =p these guys have been labeled melodic death but i beg to differ, really dark sorta sound but i love it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxAaCjsYq0

Melodic Death Metal:
- Destroy Destroy Destroy (my latest finding and their riffs and melodies are just pure esctacy to my ears... must listen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMN79u8 ... x=6&fmt=18

Viking Metal/Folk Metal:
- Equilibrium (love their tune and even though they scream in another language i just love that folk/viking style)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ

The Twisted Samurai

I startet listening to Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu and Disturbed.

From Bullet for my Valentine I like the most:
Hand of blood
Scream Aim Fire
4 Words to Choke upon
Tears don´t fall
and lotsa more I don´t remember.

Atreyu:
Ravenous
When Two are one

Disturbed:
Land of Confusion
Indestructible
Inside the Fire
Another Way to Die (Great Song!!!)

These are just a few.

Holy whack! Unlyrical lyrics Andre

I saw on the first page that one of you said that Slipknot were not metal, why do you think this?

Also the first 2 Linkin Park albums could be considered metal.
Image Image

The Twisted Samurai

Since a while I started listening to a band, called Trivium.

Their new album "In Waves" is simply awesome.
My most favorite songs of it are:
In Waves
Watch the World Burn
Built to Fall.

Just look them up on Youtube.

Here for my yearly login

Go and listen to Skindred, a la Reggae metal. It's so odd yet it works so well. I'll be honest, it's reasonably awesome.
Signatures are hard...

The Chocolateholic of CR

Metal is immortal.

I have been listening to metal for the past week. Trivium, Dragonforce, Slipknot, Mirrorthrone, Ozzy Osbourne, A Day To Remember, All That Remains, Dethklok, Protest The Hero, and Bullet For My Valentine.
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

The Twisted Samurai

You, obviously are awesome. ;D

The Chocolateholic of CR

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
If there was a battle against Music Genre, Rap and Techno VS Metal.... Metal would win, because those two music genre in my point of view are nothing but real music while Metal is. Metal is good, Metal is badass, Metal could possibly be the meaning of life.
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.

Gone sarnet, Gunter!

Anthony wrote:
Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
If there was a battle against Music Genre, Rap and Techno VS Metal.... Metal would win, because those two music genre in my point of view are nothing but real music while Metal is. Metal is good, Metal is badass, Metal could possibly be the meaning of life.

No one can destroy the metal
The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the metal
We tried to win for why, we do not know

~ The Metal by Tenacious D

Visit my site! It's running smoothly. Just needs content!

The Chocolateholic of CR

Who here but me always picture a battle in their head when they listen to some metal songs that could be used in battles? XD

hmmmmm

not going to get into an argument over electronic and hip hop but just going to say that Summoning, Earth, and Sunn O))) are dope as hell

Gone sarnet, Gunter!

Anthony wrote:
Who here but me always picture a battle in their head when they listen to some metal songs that could be used in battles? XD

Whoever doesn't is some sort of crazy...
Visit my site! It's running smoothly. Just needs content!

The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Tristania, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Kamelot, Iron Maiden, Autopsy, Sirenia, Epica, Alestorm, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Tarot, Tarja, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Delain, After Forever, Eths, Lacuna Coil, Death, Opeth, Possessed, Septic Flesh and Theatres Des Vampires to name a few.

I think this is most civilised thread about metal I've ever seen.

Love this :)

The Chocolateholic of CR

Iced Earth is a good metal band. They even do a song for 9/11. When The Eagle Cries.

Imaginerum by Nightwish - the album is a masterpiece!

Psychotic Musician

I love metal. It's funny. People would never in a million years guess that I love it so much. Their reactions are priceless.
I love all sub-genres. I think Demon Hunter, Nightwish, and As I Lay Dying are my favorites.

Signature done by Panda Prinzessin :)

I'm going to see Delain live in May!

Psychotic Musician

Chloe wrote:
Imaginerum by Nightwish - the album is a masterpiece!

Oh my goodness, YES. Nighwish is amazing. I was pretty sad about them firing Tarja and all, and I don't like Anette as much as her, but the album blew me away. Awesomeness.

Signature done by Panda Prinzessin :)

I also love Dark Passion Play. The Poet And The Pendulum is one of the greatest songs ever.
Page 3 of 4 [ 127 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club