Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 1 of 1[ 36 posts ]

2009 In MusicTopic%20Title

Idol of Polar Bears

The year, as well as the decade, will soon end. A lot of music was released this year and many old artists (Alice In Chains, Creed, et al) returned after many years of hiatus to deliver new music; some great, some not so great. It was also a year with a lot of celebrity deaths, like James "The Rev" Sullivan of Avenged Sevenfold fame as well as pop legend Michael Jackson. Such a turbulent year means lots of activity, and where there's activity there's bound to be plenty of opinions on so-and-so's latest release. With that in mind, it's natural to start "Favorites" topics like this one.

So, share your opinions! Which albums/artists/songs/etc. have cracked your Top "X" List and which ones flopped? Were your expectations met? What's your be-all-end-all album of the year and what are you looking forward to in the coming year?
Re: 2009 In MusicTopic%20Title

Get Funky, +10 Pulchritude

muse's "the resistance" was both disappointing and exciting :/

i really liked porcupine tree's "the incident", but not their best work.

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Charles Cooper from Telefon Tel Aviv died this year aswell. ): This year was definitely a busy year for the grim reaper...

-------------

Albums which I love:

Wrath - Lamb of God
Found Songs - Ólafur Arnalds
New Moon - Swallow The Sun
Mirror of Retribution - ChthoniC
From Afar - Ensiferum
Dekadens - Lifelover
Immolate Yourself - Telefon Tel Aviv

Albums which are okay:

Riceboy Sleeps - Jónsi & Alex
Black Cascade - Wolves in the Throne Room
Backspacer - Pearl Jam

Things I'm looking forward to:

Jónsi's long awaited solo-album "Go" will be finally released next year. Although those news are nice, I would rather want a new Sigur Rós album, meh... >_>
Sigh are releasing their eighth album "Scenes From Hell" on 19th January '10. I am quite excited about this, since I liked their last album "Hangman's Hymn" a lot.

--------------

Can't remember more right now, so I may edit that post later on....

Last edited by Nemesis on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Step-ladder

Journey: Live in Manilla. Proves old songs will still kickass no matter how many lead singers Journey gets.
Always strive to improve, not compare to others! - Arkillian
Purple Angel wins infinity cookies for this signiture! Who may come back soon!

Idol of Polar Bears

It was also a busy year for heavy metal and most of my Tops/Honorables happen to fall into that genre, not coincidentally.

Top 5 Albums of 2009 (ascending order):

Spoiler: Fifth
"Hatebreed" by Hatebreed

This year was a busy year for me for both recent and non-recent music. I got into a lot of artists this year from hearing their 2009 forays and Hatebreed managed to steal position 5 from all of the other albums I had listed. It has everything I'm looking for in a heavy metal album but didn't quite make the cut for any higher position.

Spoiler: Fourth
"World Painted Blood" by Slayer

2009 was also the first year I decided to take Slayer seriously and get my first Slayer album. It might be because I've grown accustomed to the 'hardcore' sound but Slayer's thrashing mayhem sounds pleasantly familiar. It clocks in at an appropriate 39 minutes, making it more listenable (more or less; it is Slayer) and everything that "fans" love about Slayer is here. As for me, I've just dedicated my soul to thrash metal. Nothing more.

Spoiler: Third
"Let The Dominoes Fall" by Rancid

I'll bite - every album bar my #1 pick are all from artists I recently got into. But, I'll be damned if this doesn't make it into my #5 at least. I love the sound associated with ska, so to fuse it with the punk sound and punk ideals must be ecstatic bliss for me, right? Well...yeah, that's totally correct, especially since Rancid know how to not just rage against the machine but party like there's no tomorrow.

Spoiler: Second
"Rum & Coke" by Dub Pistols

Dub Pistols have a hand for blending dance and hip-hop seamlessly. Further listens might reveal even more to praise about this album, if I could find the words. Until then, it's mellow and dance-y numbers will remain at second place.

And, finally:
Spoiler: First
"Liebe Ist Fuer Alle Da" by Rammstein

From the moment Roter Sand faded out of my ears, I knew this album was going to trump anything else I listened to this year. The long four year break from the studio and touring circuit has been kind to Rammstein, so they decide to return the favor by dropping a monster of industrial crunchy goodness on its fans. It's only necessary that they open the album with a song heralding their return. It promises great things, and then delivers those great things with 10 more tracks of pure awesome. With the rapid distribution of information in today's Internet age, this album is destined to become Rammstein's biggest album yet. If the web had been as fast today as back in 1997, I'm sure Sehnsucht would have outsold it but which one is better is mostly a matter of opinion.

Honorable Mentions:
"Black Clouds & Silver Linings" by Dream Theater (It's good but I could ask for a shorter run length)

"Crack The Skye" by Mastodon (I can't call this album a favorite but I can't dismiss it as one of 2009's greats)

"Earthsblood" by God Forbid (Long heavy metal songs that can keep me from spacing out are nice but it's not enough to crack the Top 5)

"Killswitch Engage [2009]" by Killswitch Engage (Lots of melody which I'm a sucker for - see Earthsblood)

"The Resistance" by Muse (The good tracks are really good but the Exogenesis suite is totally unnecessary. Needs less crooning vocals, pl0x)

"War Is The Answer" by Five Finger Death Punch (This album could do with more ass-kickery - like the first half - and less personal problems)

"21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day (I don't hate it but the great tracks are few and far between. Did this really have to be a concept album?)

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
"The Resistance" by Muse (The good tracks are really good but the Exogenesis suite is totally unnecessary. Needs less crooning vocals, pl0x)

you will burn in hell.

Spoiler:
just kidding, but exogenesis was the best part of the album. it was indeed excellent. it averted my ears from uprising, undisclosed desires, and guiding light, what were they thinking when they included those tracks.

Idol of Polar Bears

Would it have killed Muse to at least make all three tracks lead into each other instead of sounding like three separate songs? :yuusaku:

Nemesis wrote:
Wrath - Lamb of God

I liked that one too, but then again, that was the first Lamb of God album I ever listened to.

Story writer and music lover.

The only thing I need to say is this: 2009 brought us the greatest supergroup ever thought of in Them Crooked Vultures. Seriously, the combination of Josh Homme's guitar, John Paul Jones's bass, and Dave Grohl's drumming create one of the best albums of the year.

Also, a good mention to Porcupine Tree, Muse, Alice In Chains, and Wolfmother as well. Some great albums there.
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)

Idol of Polar Bears

Exogenesis is kinda boring tbh.

The new AIC album was also pretty weak.

Huh...

100% by The Slew (Kid Koala) and Forget the Night Ahead by The Twilight Sad.

I bet you haven't heard of them.

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
Would it have killed Muse to at least make all three tracks lead into each other instead of sounding like three separate songs? :yuusaku:

my take is that matt's imitating a sonata-esque format. the songs don't sound very similar, but the parts make a whole. if you look at the lyrics, it's all connected, and the music fits the lyrics very well.
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

well, knowing your musical tastes, i suppose so. i guess you have to be into classical music a bit to appreciate it.

Yo Dawg!

Contrary to other people I actually enjoyed Flo Rida's R.O.O.T.S. album, mainly Right Round, Sugar, Touch Me, and Ha.

I also enjoyed Chris Brown's Transform Ya, Seal's renditions of Stand by Me and Knock on Wood, and Lil Wayne's Swag Surfin.

As for Jazz music, I was particularly a fan of Jeff Kashiwa's "Back in the Day" album.

As for next year, I'm hoping for some more good Jazz albums. This year I was more focused on Rap and modern R&B, next year I want to get back into Jazz music. Also, I'm hoping the Temptations come out with a new album, hopefully one that isn't just a bunch of covers....

Idol of Polar Bears

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

well, knowing your musical tastes, i suppose so. i guess you have to be into classical music a bit to appreciate it.[/quote]

I'm into a bit of classical music, yet reading a lyrics sheet and hearing the lyrics in song can drastically change its meaning. On Exogenesis, I can't make out a single word Matt says.

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
I'm into a bit of classical music, yet reading a lyrics sheet and hearing the lyrics in song can drastically change its meaning. On Exogenesis, I can't make out a single word Matt says.

well, that's part of the meaning of the song. other muse songs are heavy on the falsetto too. read the lyrics sheet while listening? :P

Call me Ishmael.

the resistance by muse
endgame by megadeth

and some others
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

So...

also Shivers by Alec Empire and the Chase the Tear single by Portishead.

Black Gives Way To Blue was quite disappointing imo.

about the coming year, i'm really looking forward Radiohead, Interpol, Massive Attack, etc.

oh man, i'm ready for the next radiohead album.

For your entertainment~ ♪

Thank you, 2009, for bringing me my Lord and Savior, Lady Gaga. *is shot*

NO HATEEE. I love her so much. <3

And also, '09 for bringing me Adam Lambert, THANK YOU. :edgy:

let's just tell them that we met in jail

Well, as for actual songs, you can't not have Killing in the Name by Rage. :D Take that, Simon Cowell!!! XD

For albums, I'd say Save The World, Get The Girl(The King Blues. -shot-) would be one, because of the lyrics. Also When The World Comes Down by The All-American Rejects, because they just rule. Also, they're great live. ;D
art by blue

Idol of Polar Bears

Ghostwriter wrote:
Black Gives Way To Blue was quite disappointing imo.

:edgy:

Oh yeah, next year? I'm for sure anticipating the new Testament, Disturbed, and Linkin Park albums. I would have added the new Avenged Sevenfold album if their drummer hadn't unexpectedly died a few days ago from "natural causes". I may check out As I Lay Dying, Anthrax, Incubus, Priestess, Blink 182, Tool, Overkill, and Van Halen only to round out my record stash for the year.

My favourite album this year had to be Green Day's '21st Century Breakdown'. Not that they had much competition, no other bands I like released anything good this year. :gregory:
☆KrazyKaro and Romeo's Daughter☆
☆Godot_Blend_#107, Tap and Jaron's Sister☆

21st century breakdown was very disappointing. they're only like, what, around three tracks worth listening to on there.

Last edited by L_J on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Green Day Pre-American Idiot is fucking awesome.

Now is shit.

Am I the only person who loves all of Green Day's stuff? :larry:
☆KrazyKaro and Romeo's Daughter☆
☆Godot_Blend_#107, Tap and Jaron's Sister☆

2009 for me was all Cascada, Lady Gaga and The Lonely Island XD
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

:)

Lady Gaga is da smex.

Idol of Polar Bears

P!ATD wrote:

On Court Records, most likely. These "higher social" message boards seem to look down on sellout bands.

For your entertainment~ ♪

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
P!ATD wrote:

On Court Records, most likely. These "higher social" message boards seem to look down on sellout bands.

... I like Green Day... :sadshoe:

Two more games coming up soon

I found 2009 to be an excellent year for albums, with two indie classics (Merriweather Post Pavillion and Veckatimest) the best soul record in years (BLACKsummers'night) and Most Def's spectacular comeback with The Ecstatic.
For 2010, I'm looking forward to the next Radiohead, Lupe Fiasco, Big Boi, and maybe Arcade Fire.
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Apply directly to the forehead

Location: New Mexico (If you can find any more empty space, your in Paris Hilton's brain)

L_J wrote:
21st century breakdown was very disappointing. they're only like, what, around three tracks worth listening to on there.

I thought the album was good...at first. After listening to it a few more times the appeal wore off. I find myself only listening to only 3 tracks on the album now.

On topic of 2009 in music I don"t normally keep up with today's music scene. The only new albums I listened to this year were 21st Century Breakdown and Dream Theater's Black Clouds and Silver Linings.

honestly, black clouds and silver linings wasn't great either

Proud PxM shipper.

Paramore- Brand New Eyes.
Three Days Grace- Life Starts Now
Cartel- Cycles (not the greatest. Chroma was better, but Cycles was good.)
ImageClick sig to go to my sig thread. If you would like one, you may request. Devoted Phoenix and Maya shipper. Also a Diego and Mia shipper.
My fanfic thread. Law, Lust, and Coffee currently ongoing (Miego).

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

2009 was the first year I've actually bought more than two CDs- I think that says something abou the quality of last year's music.

My Picks:

Lungs-Florence and the Machine
How she didn't win the Mercury Prize for this, I'll never know. It's pretty much perfect both lyrically and musically and of course she has a wonderful voice.

La Roux- La Roux
I've never really been into electropop, but La Roux's stuff is really catchy and one the few albums that I liked every song on.

And some folky ones that no-one will have heard of.....

Uiscedwr-Fish Cat Door
This band are brilliant- so talented and fabulous live. Not a single bad song on here :)

Cara Dillon- Hill of Thieves
This album definitely grew on me, thanks to Cara's amazing voice. The only downer is that many of the songs sound similar, since they all originate from pretty much the same area, but nevertheless, it has several stronger ones that carry it through.

Special Mentions

Lady Gaga: she's so wonderfully crazy you have to love her and her songs are very good

Noisettes: I can't get enough of these guys- their lead singer has such a fantastic voice.
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

Wherever you go, I will be there.

-Lady GaGa: The Fame Monster
-Black Eyed Peas: The E.N.D.

Most of the music this year was shit.
For some reason, music that is done by black people (I don't know the correct term, and I sincerely apologize to those offended) is really bad for my ears.

Signature by Myself
Sister of BSX and ChocolateXCheese

Two more games coming up soon

Wait, isn't will.i.am black? (not that The E.N.D is a good album, just that you mentioned it as one of your favourite albums this year)
When you make stupid comments, you'd better not make it contradict what you've said the minute before.
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break
Page 1 of 1 [ 36 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club