Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

No news on PL vs AA at E3 2013?Topic%20Title

Self-proclaimed smart person.

E3 has been a popular time for Level-5 to announce past Layton games for American and European release. Following that tradition, it's a reasonable idea to hope that the crossover game with our favorite professor and attorney would be announced possibly for 2013 release in the western market when the E3 of this year has been around. So far, however, I haven't seen anything indicating that this is happening. No trailers or anything of the sort have been shown yet, as far as I know.

I have been fairly confident that E3 would be the time to expect localization news on this title, especially as the sixth Layton game and Dual Destinies are both guaranteed releases here by the end of the year/early 2014, so it would be the perfect time for the crossover game to garner further hype for these titles and for itself. Now I'm genuinely concerned about the odds on this reaching us, however.

All I can think of is that Nintendo will give this game a showing in a future Nintendo Direct, as their E3 showing was heavily Wii U focused this year.

What do you think? Is the crossover game a thing for the future or is this a sign that we should be concerned?
Re: No news on PL vs AA at E3 2013?Topic%20Title

Fate Testarossa

Level-5 usually has their own thing to announce stuff. Notice that PL6 wasn't mentioned either, despite the fact we know it's being released next year.

Fate is made by クロス

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I didn't see any sign of Level-5 at E3, and they weren't on the list of exhibitors.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Gettin' Old!

Wooster wrote:
I didn't see any sign of Level-5 at E3, and they weren't on the list of exhibitors.

Wild Wooster sighted!

Gods where did I put it *fumbles* need that masterball!

In seriousness isn't Level-5's big thing called Level-5-World or something like that yeah? Their own little event for their products.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

YEAAAAGH I've been spotted! (Hight tails it out)

There was Level 5 World and Level 5 Vision, but they were Japan only events and they didn't host one last year. That that for what it's worth. I'm not familiar with any big outlets for Level-5 in America beyond E3, which was why I was quite sure it was going to show at E3 and not earlier than that.

We still have the odd trickle of info related to Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. Level-5 of America was clearly gauging interest in the game. My only guess now is that they're in the line for some Nintendo Direct. But other then that *hands in the air in exasperation*

Self-proclaimed smart person.

kwando wrote:
Level-5 usually has their own thing to announce stuff. Notice that PL6 wasn't mentioned either, despite the fact we know it's being released next year.

While that's true, they at least let us know ahead of E3 that PL6 was coming out, but kept silent about the crossover title, which puzzles me a bit (no pun intended). I'm guessing this is because Nintendo wanted to focus on Wii U at E3. Anyway, my point is that they let the release date of PL6 out early while the crossover is still in an unknown state, even though it has been out for several months more than PL6 in Japan.

In other words, why keep this game away while PL6 gets pushed out so soon?

All in all, like Wooster said, E3 is the main source of Level-5 info in America most of the time, so like him I was sure that the crossover would perhaps not be revealed before it, but with E3 now gone, I'm not sure when to expect the title anymore, since it wasn't shown along with PL6, for example, and Level-5 had no presence at E3 this year.

I guess the next Nintendo Direct may be the time to wait for.

Remember that Miracle Mask wasn't announced at E3 2012. That came later during one of Level 5's press conferences. Or it could have been a Nintendo Direct. I don't exactly remember.

Game On

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Remember that Miracle Mask wasn't announced at E3 2012. That came later during one of Level 5's press conferences. Or it could have been a Nintendo Direct. I don't exactly remember.

This is a good point. Last year Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct like 2 weeks after E3 and that was when Professor Layton Miracle Mask was announced for the west. I would love it so much if they had a Direct next week confirming that its coming to the west. :keiko:

However I'm not so sure that we will get PL vs AA anymore. :sadshoe: Since PL6 is coming out in early 2014 and hypothetically PLvsAA would be announced next week for approx. late fall but that would be pretty close to PL6. But PL6 would take priority to come out so PLvsAA would be pushed aside. Then the next possible time frame available would be summer/fall of 2014. But wait Level-5 likes releasing one PL game a year so PLvsAA will be pushed to 2015. By this time lots of people will have gotten about it because of the new PL and new AA games.

So the way I see it, is that PL6 needs to be bumped to like mid 2014 and PLvsAA can come in the fall or we may get PLvsAA some time 2015. :sadshoe:
Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil

Quote:
This is a good point. Last year Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct like 2 weeks after E3 and that was when Professor Layton Miracle Mask was announced for the west. I would love it so much if they had a Direct next week confirming that its coming to the west. :keiko:

However I'm not so sure that we will get PL vs AA anymore. :sadshoe: Since PL6 is coming out in early 2014 and hypothetically PLvsAA would be announced next week for approx. late fall but that would be pretty close to PL6. But PL6 would take priority to come out so PLvsAA would be pushed aside. Then the next possible time frame available would be summer/fall of 2014. But wait Level-5 likes releasing one PL game a year so PLvsAA will be pushed to 2015. By this time lots of people will have gotten about it because of the new PL and new AA games.

So the way I see it, is that PL6 needs to be bumped to like mid 2014 and PLvsAA can come in the fall or we may get PLvsAA some time 2015. :sadshoe:

I'm assuming that Level 5 and Capcom might not want to over saturate the market with Professor Layton and Ace Attorney titles. You have one new game from each series, plus the crossover. Seeing as how AA5 is digital only, I'm sure that they'd find a suitable time frame to release PL6 and PL vs. AA. Really, the fact that Professor Layton is already a best selling series should be enough motivation to localize this game.

Also remember that Level 5 takes forever with their localizations. Ni no Kuni and most Professor Layton games take almost two years to get here. If we do see PL vs. AA, I'd be surprised if it wasn't in 2014. I remember in 2010 we were all amazed at that first trailer for PL vs. AA and we still don't have the game almost three years later. :sadshoe:

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I personally feel concerned about PLvsAA. It wasn't very well-received in Japan, and it didn't sell well there. PL6 was announced in April and there's been no mention of PLvsAA, and I can't imagine they would release two Layton games right after another. So I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up making its way over here.

I guess its always possible they'll release it after PL6. It is interesting that PL6 is coming to Europe late 2013 but the US early 2014 though. I don't know why it would be scheduled like that.

It's too bad, too, because I think we thought Layton would be a key in getting GS5 sales up.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

ADA McCoy wrote:
I personally feel concerned about PLvsAA. It wasn't very well-received in Japan, and it didn't sell well there. PL6 was announced in April and there's been no mention of PLvsAA, and I can't imagine they would release two Layton games right after another. So I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up making its way over here.

I guess its always possible they'll release it after PL6. It is interesting that PL6 is coming to Europe late 2013 but the US early 2014 though. I don't know why it would be scheduled like that.

It's too bad, too, because I think we thought Layton would be a key in getting GS5 sales up.

I still think it's going to happen. From what I've read, PL vs AA HAS received good reviews; at least good reviews on par or higher than what games in the series usually get. As far as sales, well, have a look here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/48133/prof ... ney/Japan/

Don't count PL vs AA out just yet. Level 5 and Nintendo still have their regular announcements, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced a few months from now. Plus, the game is Level 5's most requested unlocalized game and Layton is a successful franchise. The odds are pretty high that it will eventually get localized.

ADA McCoy wrote:

I still think it's going to happen. From what I've read, PL vs AA HAS received good reviews; at least good reviews on par or higher than what games in the series usually get. As far as sales, well, have a look here:

Don't count PL vs AA out just yet. Level 5 and Nintendo still have their regular announcements, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced a few months from now. Plus, the game is Level 5's most requested unlocalized game and Layton is a successful franchise. The odds are pretty high that it will eventually get localized.

I had read that a lot of poeple in Japan thought that PLvsAA was too long (I personally don't understand this at all) and that the gameplay was too different between the sections. I had also heard that the sales for the game was far below the numbers usually made by the series.

I'm still thinking that the different US/UK release dates might have something to do with PLvsAA. Usually Layton games are released at the most a month apart between the two regions, so the fact that it is longer makes me thing think that PLvsAA is the Layton game of 2013. The only thing is, you'd think we would have heard something by now.

Does anyone know if the AA series does better/worse in Europe? I know Layton is bigger in Europe, so maybe if AA is less popular there than in the US they will be releasing PLvsAA this year in the US and then PL6 in 2014. Then they flip that schedule for the UK, with PL6 coming and then PLvsAA.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

元・超会社員級の管理人

ADA McCoy wrote:

...Huh. I was about to call you out for using VGChartz, but their numbers actually match up to the more reputable sources this time. Still, in general, they're not very accurate, so try to avoid sourcing them.

PLvsAA had good reviews, but the overall impression I get is that it's not the hit Capcom and Level-5 were looking for. There's a no-fourth-wall post-game episode where a character references "oh, we've been played by 400k people already" or something like that (can't recall the exact number, but it was a fair bit above actual sales), and the game's sales are lower than pretty much any entry in either franchise (save I think Miracle Mask, but that was a launch title). It didn't bomb, but I think more was expected.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Still. It's hard to compare the sales for a game on one system to another. The install base isn't the same. There's less 3DS capable systems around then there were DSs for say Ace Attorney Investigations or Unwound Future.

1000% Knight

ADA McCoy wrote:
I had read that a lot of poeple in Japan thought that PLvsAA was too long (I personally don't understand this at all) and that the gameplay was too different between the sections. I had also heard that the sales for the game was far below the numbers usually made by the series.

It probably wasn't the game itself, but the final trial that people thought was too long. I loved I-5, but even I was a bit tired by the end of PLvAA... Not sure about the gameplay thing. Trial sections were exactly like AA trials and investigations were exactly like Layton games. Not sure what else people were expecting.

Wooster wrote:
Still. It's hard to compare the sales for a game on one system to another. The install base isn't the same. There's less 3DS capable systems around then there were DSs for say Ace Attorney Investigations or Unwound Future.

Didn't AAI not sell very well? =\

Just chipping in my two cents. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care if it's localized or not :keiko:
If it's any consolation, my gut hunch is that GS5 is going to be better than PLvAA.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Does anyone think that PL vs. AA might just go digital only like Dual Destinies? From a business perspective, I think that it would make sense. It's also really bizarre that PL6 is coming out in Europe first. Usually it's the other way around. I see little reason why this would happen, because both versions are still in English, albeit with minor changes. I'm guessing they'll get it in December, and we'll get it in January.

It's pretty late in the game, so I'm not sure if we'll see PL vs. AA this year. Still, the western release date for Dual Destinies was announced rather suddenly; so that could always mean something. For all we know, the localization is possibly being worked on as we speak. IDK. :udgy:

Does anyone think that PL vs. AA might just go digital only like Dual Destinies? From a business perspective, I think that it would make sense. It's also really bizarre that PL6 is coming out in Europe first. Usually it's the other way around. I see little reason why this would happen, because both versions are still in English, albeit with minor changes. I'm guessing they'll get it in December, and we'll get it in January.

It's pretty late in the game, so I'm not sure if we'll see PL vs. AA this year. Still, the western release date for Dual Destinies was announced rather suddenly; so that could always mean something. For all we know, the localization is possibly being worked on as we speak. IDK. :udgy:

I think the digital is certainly a possibility. Level-5 has begun to release smaller games as eShop exclusives, so I would imagine this could be what happens.

Bolt Storm wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

...Huh. I was about to call you out for using VGChartz, but their numbers actually match up to the more reputable sources this time. Still, in general, they're not very accurate, so try to avoid sourcing them.

That's because they have sources to use, unlike with NA (and EU?) sales.

Quote:
PLvsAA had good reviews, but the overall impression I get is that it's not the hit Capcom and Level-5 were looking for. There's a no-fourth-wall post-game episode where a character references "oh, we've been played by 400k people already" or something like that (can't recall the exact number, but it was a fair bit above actual sales), and the game's sales are lower than pretty much any entry in either franchise (save I think Miracle Mask, but that was a launch title). It didn't bomb, but I think more was expected.

I'm pretty sure PL6 sold worse. Not much worse for the first week or two, but sales dropped pretty sharply after that.

I'm not too worried about it, though, especially with Level-5 teasing a Western release of Mystery Room.

1000% Knight

ADA McCoy wrote:

I think the digital is certainly a possibility. Level-5 has begun to release smaller games as eShop exclusives, so I would imagine this could be what happens.

This isn't exactly a "smaller game," though.

Didn't they say at E3 that the reason Dual Destinies is digital-only was just to get the game out to players quickly? (Haven't been following GS5 news closely, I don't actually know.) Not sure exactly how much of a "business decision" the physical/digital decision is.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Game On

AthenaCat wrote:
I'm not too worried about it, though, especially with Level-5 teasing a Western release of Mystery Room.

Really? REALLY?!?!? This level-5 tease doesn't make you worried? :maya-shock: This should make everyone very very very worried. That is obviously the localization of Layton Brothers: Mystery Room i.e the next entry in the Professor Layton series I.E We are not getting PLvsAA any time soon! With this game and PL6 around the corner AND with no word on PLvsAA to be localized yet, I guess we maybe, if we are lucky, we will get PLvsAA in 2016 (and that is a big if).:sadshoe:

Quote:
Really? REALLY?!?!? This level-5 tease doesn't make you worried? :maya-shock: This should make everyone very very very worried. That is obviously the localization of Layton Brothers: Mystery Room i.e the next entry in the Professor Layton series I.E We are not getting PLvsAA any time soon! With this game and PL6 around the corner AND with no word on PLvsAA to be localized yet, I guess we maybe, if we are lucky, we will get PLvsAA in 2016 (and that is a big if).:sadshoe:

Let's not get too hasty here. Layton Brothers is a short iOS game, so the costs needed to localize it are a whole lot less when compared to the main games of the series. It should have no bearing on the localization of the PL vs. AA.

Game On

Let's not get too hasty here. Layton Brothers is a short iOS game, so the costs needed to localize it are a whole lot less when compared to the main games of the series. It should have no bearing on the localization of the PL vs. AA.

Ok perhaps i jumped the gun a bit (ok maybe a lot :nick-sweat:) but still they will want to spread these games out a bit so that its not just one Layton game after another being released. They like to spread out to like one Layton game a year and if we are considering the Layton Brothers to be like half a game then perhaps they would release it half a year later from PL6. Either way I still can't see this being good news for a sooner release date for PLvsAA.

Bad Player wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

This isn't exactly a "smaller game," though.

Didn't they say at E3 that the reason Dual Destinies is digital-only was just to get the game out to players quickly? (Haven't been following GS5 news closely, I don't actually know.) Not sure exactly how much of a "business decision" the physical/digital decision is.

I still have a hard time buying that "convenience" argument. If that was the case then they would have changed their decision once everyone started freaking out about digital sales. I think sales have to at least factor into the digital decision.

And I would imagine that if the smaller games do well then Level-5 might consider bigger releases on the eShop.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)