Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 2[ 62 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eternal Diva -- SPOILERS --Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Got to see The Eternal Diva on Saturday at the Scotland loves anime festival.

It was pretty good though I have some glaring fury-based objections to small flaws in sense in the film.
Although the music was fantastic I thought.

Oh and eternal life is worthless to the indestructable, immortal and awesome Inspector Groskey XD
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: ~The Professor Layton topic~Topic%20Title

Chaos wolf

Btw my boxset of Eternal Diva turned up today... I'm gonna have to get used to Luke's voice here as I'm familiar with playing the US versions of the games, where I think his voice is better :p

Question to ask is... is it okay to watch without having played the fourth game? There's nothing going on that's going to be out of place without knowing something from a game that hasn't been released in the West yet?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

360 gamertag: Mayhem64

That's weird, I didn't know it was dubbed in the box set... when I went to see it it was subbed (and HELLA awesome). Guess I have to go buy it now XD

It's perfectly fine to watch Eternal Diva without having played game four. To be honest Jean Descole's motives and so on aren't really explained, but it's a bit like Don Paolo in the first game, when Layton was like "Oh, it's you again" and we were all a bit o_0. I don't think you find out fully about Descole in Specter's Flute either, so it's okay.

According to TVTropes they changed Luke's voice in the EU version because English playtesters hated it so much. I'm so fixed on the idea of Luke as a five-year-old little girl that listening to the US version is reaaally weird for me.

Chaos wolf

Midnight Jasper wrote:
That's weird, I didn't know it was dubbed in the box set... when I went to see it it was subbed (and HELLA awesome). Guess I have to go buy it now XD

It's perfectly fine to watch Eternal Diva without having played game four. To be honest Jean Descole's motives and so on aren't really explained, but it's a bit like Don Paolo in the first game, when Layton was like "Oh, it's you again" and we were all a bit o_0. I don't think you find out fully about Descole in Specter's Flute either, so it's okay.

According to TVTropes they changed Luke's voice in the EU version because English playtesters hated it so much. I'm so fixed on the idea of Luke as a five-year-old little girl that listening to the US version is reaaally weird for me.

Cheers for that... the Blu-Ray has the option for English or Japanese audio, so you can be thrilled either way heh (I haven't played the normal DVD). Hang on, let me check something here for you... yes the normal DVD is the same. English 5.1 or 2.0, and Japanese 5.1 or 2.0, the latter does have English subtitles.

I've only really played the US versions of the Layton games but I've seen bits of the European versions on YouTube, so I was fully prepared for Luke's voice in the film. As I stated, I prefer the US version, it's far less "mockney" and sounds more muted, so it doesn't grate on the ears as much. Problem with many people trying to do something British-like is they end up either sounding faux Cockney (a la Dick van Dyke) or stupidly posh. Most people are not like that, myself included heh.

Personally if I'd been on the English playtesting group for the first game I would have given them all a big bitch slap for allowing the substitute Luke voice to be used :p
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

360 gamertag: Mayhem64

Call me Ishmael.

Spoiler: Chapter 2, Lost Future
The scene where Luke talked about the future Professor was made of awesome. The description of how he turned corrupt after the time machine accident, with a picture of him looking all evil in the background with tense music, was superb.

... I really wish it was him in the future - but I know it isn't because I've spoiled myself. The plot in this game is like a huge missed opportunity. It manages to be good in its own way, but not as good as it could have been.

Also, regarding Descole, there's a theory that
Spoiler:
he's Layton's childhood friend seen in the trailer for game 5. I'd say it's pretty likely.

Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Son-Gohan wrote:
Did you hear already the two new tracks (Layton and Wright Theme)?
I uploaded them on Youtube, feel free to watch (and listen). ^^

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - Wright Theme

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - Layton Theme
Those tracks aren't "new".

Besides that point I watched parts of the English dubbed Eternal Diva (yeah yeah shoot me) and I just simply loved Descole's voice and the man who graces my posts, Inspector Grosky! Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny cannot simply come out soon enough in the next fall, unless if Level-5 were to already have set up their overseas offices in order to get the 4th game out quicker.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Okay, I watched Eternal Diva illegally.

FKJHSDFLKJHDSFL That was the best thing ever!

The low point for me would've been the prologue, it just felt like a sugar rush. But after that everything takes off smoothly. The music is excellent, the art direction was superb! And I was in love with the scenario. I have to admit, I was curious how the puzzles would work in a non-interactive medium. But they worked! I was able to stay comfortably one step ahead of the party for the first puzzles, but Layton and Co got the best of me for the 4th. (Also helped that the Puzzle music was just so awesome!) The side characters were excellent, as for the contestants, I had some fun trying to guess who advances and who didn't. I thought I did half way decent, but I must admit, the director beat me when it came to getting the winner.

SO

MUCH

AWESOME

Dang it, why don't they just announce it in the states. I'd buy like 3 copies!
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Lang Zi says: I Love Shi-Long Lang

Wooster wrote:

The low point for me would've been the prologue, it just felt like a sugar rush. But after that everything takes off smoothly. The music is excellent, the art direction was superb! And I was in love with the scenario. I have to admit, I was curious how the puzzles would work in a non-interactive medium. But they worked! I was able to stay comfortably one step ahead of the party for the first puzzles, but Layton and Co got the best of me for the 4th. (Also helped that the Puzzle music was just so awesome!) The side characters were excellent, as for the contestants, I had some fun trying to guess who advances and who didn't. I thought I did half way decent, but I must admit, the director beat me when it came to getting the winner.

SO

MUCH

AWESOME

That movie was the best thing that ever happened to me. Its ok I watched the movie on youtube because Australia doesn't deserve awsomeness apparently.

The movie seemed very very rushed to me the only times I got to think were the parts where the new video was loading. But I laughed so many times, but to me that movie was just fan-service in a dvd. It did nothing to the other games, but maybe when.....THAT happened but thats it.
Marche Tobaye wrote:
I've finished Lost Future now. It was surprisingly epic and I must admit that the ending made me cry.

Spoiler:
Layton x Claire is one of the few pairings in video games that was pulled of well, unlike the Twilight/FF8 bullshit that's so common these days.

Also, the thought of people hating on Claire because she destroyed their yaoi fantasies makes me sick. Srsly.

Who is hating on them? Let them know they are hated over the internets. Personally I loved them it was so sad.

DeMatador wrote:
New trailer YouTube link here.

Haha, Young Layton's haircut XD

Still, it looks and sounds awesome. I don't even care about the 3D models, they seem to be well animated.

If I could I would have my hair look like that if I didn't look weird like that but afro for the win.
ImageImage

Call me Ishmael.

To answer your question MissEdgeworth, noone yet but I have a feeling someone will. xD
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Wooster wrote:

SO

MUCH

AWESOME

Hehehe, try seeing it in an IMAX cinema on the premiere with a crowd of fellow Laytoners XDD

Spoiler: Movie talk, yah
I thought the movie kind of dropped a bit once the mystery was revealed and the Detragonator was just running around killing everything, and the scene where Luke had his moment of awesomeness (for some reason set to disco music) was a cross between adorable and downright retarded.

Li'l Luke is the most adorable thing ever. To quote the subbed translation:
"Growl! Ruff! Rrrr! ...Professor! They can't understand me!"

Also, SONG OF THE SUN IS THE MOST AMAZING MUSIC EVER. "Descole, your failure is that you cannot play music UPSIDE DOWN!" Win~

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Hehehe, try seeing it in an IMAX cinema on the premiere with a crowd of fellow Laytoners XDD

Spoiler: Movie talk, yah
I thought the movie kind of dropped a bit once the mystery was revealed and the Detragonator was just running around killing everything, and the scene where Luke had his moment of awesomeness (for some reason set to disco music) was a cross between adorable and downright retarded.

Li'l Luke is the most adorable thing ever. To quote the subbed translation:
"Growl! Ruff! Rrrr! ...Professor! They can't understand me!"

Also, SONG OF THE SUN IS THE MOST AMAZING MUSIC EVER. "Descole, your failure is that you cannot play music UPSIDE DOWN!" Win~

Spoiler: Eternal Diva squeeing
Yeah, having a giant robot attack the city in distress kinda fails when there's no city to be in a state of distress. They at least needed another robot to battle.

As ashamed as I am to admit it. I'm kinda glad Fiona and Don Paulo didn't have major roles in this movie. Don Paulo is a one trick pony. As for Fiona, I don't know if the writer's know what to do with her. She doesn't seem to have any skills or drive that I'm aware of. So, like Maya, it's made up for with her being kidnapped and victimized.

Still, right now I'm passing the time by trying to guess who returns in the third movie. Supposedly this is supposed to be a trilogy, so guessing the threads that will tie the stories together will be interesting. I do realize that a lot of the exposition the side characters got, particularly on the dingy ride to the island was intended as a red herring; but some exposition just doesn't quite make sense, even in context. I mean, "the man with the golden left leg"? Easily among the more minor of the minor characters, but I just can't see why they'd bring up the whole scar thing. He also stands out as being one of the only non-intellectual/rich folk with any screen time.

I'd also like to see the rival lady with the flower pendant return. She was as close as the movie got to an antagonist in the puzzle segments of the game. I also like her line of thinking. She seems quick to figure out what isn't the solution, even if she can't solve the puzzles on her own. But she was the only character I noticed to 'beat the system' as in, rather then solve the puzzles on her own, which had a great chance of being futile the further into the game she went, but rather, she'd follow the Professor. Devious and intelligent. I'd love to see her, or a clone of her personality return.

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: About Eternal Diva
A few things bothered me about it...some nitpicky some are reasonable though I hope it's simply a plot element I missed. For starters why bother with puzzle "00X" when you have less than 10 puzzles? Then there was the issue if he knew where Ambrosia was and had the funds to CONSTRUCT A GIANT ORCHESTRA-IN-A-CAN that can be moved about the place and at the same time can fuse with a castle (that would have to be heavily customised to cope with the organ) then why didn't he just fund a salvage expedition to a city he knows is just under the water (and not too far judging by the towers that appear above water) to see their technology and wonders. Finally and possibly the most annoying thing for me. If the original 'memory' transfer was actually a success (and arguably MORE of a success since the original host didn't lose her sense of self) then why oh why didn't she reveal herself after the experiment and prevent the whole hassle from ever happening?

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Pierre wrote:
A few things bothered me about it...some nitpicky some are reasonable though I hope it's simply a plot element I missed. For starters why bother with puzzle "00X" when you have less than 10 puzzles? Then there was the issue if he knew where Ambrosia was and had the funds to CONSTRUCT A GIANT ORCHESTRA-IN-A-CAN that can be moved about the place and at the same time can fuse with a castle (that would have to be heavily customised to cope with the organ) then why didn't he just fund a salvage expedition to a city he knows is just under the water (and not too far judging by the towers that appear above water) to see their technology and wonders. Finally and possibly the most annoying thing for me. If the original 'memory' transfer was actually a success (and arguably MORE of a success since the original host didn't lose her sense of self) then why oh why didn't she reveal herself after the experiment and prevent the whole hassle from ever happening?

Spoiler: Eternal Diva
Personally, I enjoyed them saying out "Puzzle Number Zero-Zero-One". It sounded a lot more ominous then Saying "Puzzle Number 1" which I'd view as a little more playful(?). Or at least that was my impression.

But if you're going to point out that plot hole, then you might as well ask yourself why he bothered to capture the audience only to release them via submarine. Somethings just make for better story telling, regardless of logic.

Gettin' Old!

Wooster wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Personally, I enjoyed them saying out "Puzzle Number Zero-Zero-One". It sounded a lot more ominous then Saying "Puzzle Number 1" which I'd view as a little more playful(?). Or at least that was my impression.

But if you're going to point out that plot hole, then you might as well ask yourself why he bothered to capture the audience only to release them via submarine. Somethings just make for better story telling, regardless of logic.

Spoiler: As before
I just assumed it was for Descole's personal sense of drama but Descole wasn't completely heartless. There's just a lot of impractical illogical decisions he makes that are purely drama XD

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Lang Zi says: I Love Shi-Long Lang

Not sure if I can post this here but, I was watching a gaming show called Good Game: Spawn Point and they have a thing were you e-mail them and they answer about games.

I e-mailed them and I got a reply:

Hey Lauren!The Proffessor Layton VS Phoenix Wright game will come out for the 3ds, but no clues as to when. It will probably have an Australian Release.Sincerely,Good Game team

I honestly think the whole thing with them maybe releasing it outside Japan will be a load of rubbish and it will be released.
ImageImage

Mayhem wrote:

What did people call their parrot btw? I went obtuse and called mine Norway hah hah,..

[think about it]

I named mine Phoenix:D
And my hamster Nick:)

I saw eternal diva and it made me cry:(
Whoever writes the stories for pl is the only person to be able to make me feel emotional.

Don't hurt me...

(*Uncontrollably excited for crossover*)

I was a Layton fan since the first game was released in the states. Such a wonderful series. I hope it gets more fans now. :D

Hey, Does anyone know if the Eternal Diva is going to get a NA release?
I'd like to buy it but of course there's all that region encoding and what not.

Is there a way to watch foreign dvd's without actually buy a foreign dvd player?

Jammin' like it's 2024

EDIT: AUGH it took me two days to notice I'd posted this in the wrong topic >_<

*tidies up*

Eternal Diva kicks ass. More detailed opinion to come. :P
Does we even do these things anymore?

Last edited by Velotican on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre wrote:
Wooster wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Spoiler: As before
I just assumed it was for Descole's personal sense of drama but Descole wasn't completely heartless. There's just a lot of impractical illogical decisions he makes that are purely drama XD

Spoiler: Yeah... Maybe there should be a separate thread for this :O
Having the Legendary City rise above the waves is just cooler and better than sending in an expedition XD Descole is definitely one for drama, though. Blowing up the ship/opera house was crazyawesome.

Why, though, did the little girl who was half-Melina (was her name Melina too?) start going crazy and push Inspector Grosky off the ship? And why did she feel the need to not tell anyone? Had she been indoctrinated by Whistler or something?

I do wish they'd continued with the puzzles thing. They'd gotten up to 004 and then... stopped. Maybe because they ran out of puzzle themes? XD Everyone in the cinema was freaking out so much when "Puzzle 001" appeared; I really hope they run with that again next time.

As for characters, Remi (Emmy?) was certainly more useful than Flora as an assistant, but she still didn't really appear to have much character other than Ninja Girl. Maybe more will become clear after Specter's Flute. I quite liked Chess Girl ::can't remember anyone's names::. But seriously, as long as INSPECTOR GROSKY and his AMAZING CHEST HAIR returns I'm satisfied.

Quote:
They at least needed another robot to battle.

In a King Kong/Godzilla style XD Total epicness.

Re: Eternal Diva -- SPOILERS --Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

What the foozle? I don't remember making this topic?!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Magic admin splitting powers. We've got an entire board for Layton. No sense in clouting one topic.

As for Remi, I think her problem was that she spent so much time away from the main cast and without a person who could act as an alterego. For what little I've seen of her, she's still able to push Luke's buttons, is a pilot, and is a self-reliant competent investigator. If she had someone to talk with that wasn't quest related, I think she would've filled out well. But that would've stolen screen time from Layton, Luke and the rest of the contestants. Considering how much was going on on Layton's side of the story, I think it was a reasonable trade off. Not to mention that her investigation was 100% about the story behind the game. You don't want that exposed before the time is right.

That's still a lot more then I can say for Flora, who likes animals and costumes. Aside from that, I don't know anything of significance about her.

Gettin' Old!

Remi was actually the most popular characters with a few of my friends from the film. Though it did baffle me how easily they managed to find the uncharted island of Ambrosia but I suppose Inspector Grosky could've pointed her in the right direction.

Also regarding the kidnapped girl who thought she was Melina I think she was somewhat indoctrinated by Whistler into her plans. What I don't properly understand is why the fake Melina girl would know about Professor Layton and know he was a threat to the plan.

I can understand why Janice-Melina would know seeing as Janice was a friend of the professor's and therefore Janice-Melina had access to her memories and knowledge but Melina's spirit alone combined with the little girl could not possibly know of Professor Layton could she?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I didn't see finding the island as such a big plot hole, I seem to recall Remi borrowing a map of the island from the Professor's mentor. Combined with Inspector Chest Hair, and she had all she needs to find it.

What I did find peculiar on the other hand, was how she found the kidnapping case relevant to the mystery of eternal life.

As for the little girl and her distrust of Layton. I think it's basic deduction who got her to not want Layton. Professor Wisler was neutral to Layton. That leaves Descole. Now, why Descole would let Layton play the game, if he was such a threat, is another question.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Watched the movie yesterday. The animation was Sprited-Away-Level Ghibli-worthy awesome. The characters were interesting and cool, even though I still don't quite like the way female eyes are drawn in this series (thank god that the witch's eyes in the crossover are Ace Attorney style). I liked Amelia a lot, because of her design and intelligence, but in terms of personality, I liked Janice
Spoiler:
-Melina
better, even though
Spoiler:
Her actual character design looks a little too old in my eyes.

The little green-haired girl makes me think of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.

As for the plot, I think it was a little Pokemon-Movie like. Actually, I could even imagine turning that thing into a Pokemon Movie, just switch the word "puzzle" for "Pokemon" and you got POKEMON THE X-THOUSSANDS MOVIE!!!

But I guess they just couldn't possibly cram more into barely 110 minutes. There were quite a few plot-holes in there and some things stayed untypically unresolved, but, meh, Luke was awesome, Layton's brainstorming was awesome and the side characters were awesome too.

That's definitely a movie I'm going to remember for longer than just a few days.

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Gettin' Old!

Wooster wrote:
I didn't see finding the island as such a big plot hole, I seem to recall Remi borrowing a map of the island from the Professor's mentor. Combined with Inspector Chest Hair, and she had all she needs to find it.

As for the little girl and her distrust of Layton. I think it's basic deduction who got her to not want Layton. Professor Wisler was neutral to Layton. That leaves Descole. Now, why Descole would let Layton play the game, if he was such a threat, is another question.

Yes but logically if the island is thought to be just a myth why would one even bother looking for it? But yes I'd say Inspector Manly was the decisive factor in finding the island.

Also I may have missed something but who is Professor Wisler?
And knowing Descole it seems obvious why that fool would let Layton in, for a sense of challenge and drama to feed his ego. However if the little girl was more a pawn for Descole than Whistler then it would seem that Descole was unaware Layton was playing his game as she would undoubtedly be informed of Descole's plans and therefore not be surprised by Layton's appearance on the ship.

On another note there's nothing to say he didn't kill the ones who failed the challenges at the island since I don't think we see them again which makes me quite sad as I'd been hoping the friendly sea-captain would survive.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

As for Remi looking for the Island that was a myth, Layton teaches archeology. Think of all the missions to find Noah's Arc, Atlantis, and even the Lochness Monster. Looking for myths is practically in the job description.

His name was spelled Wisler in the OST I've got, I think I mixed up when I used that as a reference to spell the name, My apologies.

As for killing the remaining survivors... I'm a bit disinclined to think they're dead, despite the game being one of 'life and death'. Ignoring for an instant, that even when someone being dead in the games is an important plot element, and that they're alive and kicking by the credits. Whistler was among the group that failed Puzzle 003. And Layton told the people he tricked into failing Puzzle 004 that he'll come back for them. (Really, did he need to verify that there would be the same trap doors that littered the Crown Pitone?

Ooh, nice. Branching off from the all-encompassing "Professor Layton Topic" =D

I understand the whole Little Girl's animosity towards Layton, but why did Descole or Whistler or whoever deem Inspector Grosky to be a threat? Didn't she push him off the ship? Then again, I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I may have missed something.

Descole may have a flair for the dramatic but he doesn't actually kill people. Only, er, blows up places and sets wolves on them and crushes them with giant robot/pianos and things like that. Totally excusable.

a car full of moms

Wooster wrote:
As for killing the remaining survivors... I'm a bit disinclined to think they're dead, despite the game being one of 'life and death'. Ignoring for an instant, that even when someone being dead in the games is an important plot element, and that they're alive and kicking by the credits. Whistler was among the group that failed Puzzle 003. And Layton told the people he tricked into failing Puzzle 004 that he'll come back for them. (Really, did he need to verify that there would be the same trap doors that littered the Crown Pitone?)

Spoiler: Ending
Actually, none of the finalists died, really. They present the credits very similarly to the games, and the last few pictures show everybody alive and well, minus the wealthy eccentric; he sort of looked like he was on his last legs in the hospital >_>

So, I guess they were alive and kicking by the credits <_<;;

Gettin' Old!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Ooh, nice. Branching off from the all-encompassing "Professor Layton Topic" =D

I understand the whole Little Girl's animosity towards Layton, but why did Descole or Whistler or whoever deem Inspector Grosky to be a threat? Didn't she push him off the ship? Then again, I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I may have missed something.

Descole may have a flair for the dramatic but he doesn't actually kill people. Only, er, blows up places and sets wolves on them and crushes them with giant robot/pianos and things like that. Totally excusable.

Well Inspector Grosky was a man of the law, unlikely to be there for eternal life so obviously was investigating something.

Plus he survived fights with sharks TWICE! MAYBE THREE TIMES!

I can see why everyone should be afraid of Inspector Grosky. Also I don't think Descole wouldn't kill after all he did rather viciously lunge at Layton in the swordfight towards the end.

Still good to know the finalists survived (apart from the devil woman) but which wealthy eccentric do you mean? I think they all seemed relatively wealthy.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I take it it's worth buying then. Saw it in HMV today for £12.99 (bargain!) but didn't get it for some reason >=/ maybe tomorrow.

Mayhem wrote:
I've only really played the US versions of the Layton games but I've seen bits of the European versions on YouTube, so I was fully prepared for Luke's voice in the film. As I stated, I prefer the US version, it's far less "mockney" and sounds more muted, so it doesn't grate on the ears as much. Problem with many people trying to do something British-like is they end up either sounding faux Cockney (a la Dick van Dyke) or stupidly posh. Most people are not like that, myself included heh.

The only thing about Layton I don't like is Luke's shitting awful voice. They need to hire someone who didn't learn a British accent by watching Oliver.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Midnight Jasper wrote:

Man, if that wasn't an Indiana Jones type spoiler of the movie, I'd have that sig'd.

a car full of moms

Oh, the eccentric man, the one who declared he had six months to live and tugged at his beard in a show of borderline-OCD. Really, the only person that "died" in the movie were Amelia's grandfather(shown in the credits) and they implied that Mr. Eccentric died - well, and Melina, but... that's sort of a plot point.

And about Luke's voice, as much of a voice industry freak as I am, Luke's UK voice didn't bother me as much as I was expecting it to(I know her accent is awful, but Lani Minella's Luke sounds... like a boy), but I gotta say: Maria Darling cannot narrate in character D: Her Luke was adorably pre-pubescent and everything, very few of her lines sounded awkward, but if that narration was supposed to be Luke, it... sure didn't sound like it o.o; The intro to that movie was aaawful.

Gettin' Old!

Blood wrote:
Oh, the eccentric man, the one who declared he had six months to live and tugged at his beard in a show of borderline-OCD. Really, the only person that "died" in the movie were Amelia's grandfather(shown in the credits) and they implied that Mr. Eccentric died - well, and Melina, but... that's sort of a plot point.

And about Luke's voice, as much of a voice industry freak as I am, Luke's UK voice didn't bother me as much as I was expecting it to(I know her accent is awful, but Lani Minella's Luke sounds... like a boy), but I gotta say: Maria Darling cannot narrate in character D: Her Luke was adorably pre-pubescent and everything, very few of her lines sounded awkward, but if that narration was supposed to be Luke, it... sure didn't sound like it o.o; The intro to that movie was aaawful.

I never thought the 'lovable cockney scamp' was an especially bad accent don't get why everyone hates it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Seconded. I love that accent family. Maybe it's just because I'm American, but I also don't see any negative connotations with it. I mean, the few times I do see with that accent on TV, the characters tend to be intelligent and have initiative. Surely those can't be bad qualities? Then again, I don't watch TV that much to begin with, so maybe I have a rosey view of it?

Providing nothing important since 1993!

Wooster wrote:
Spoiler: Eternal Diva squeeing
I mean, "the man with the golden left leg"? Easily among the more minor of the minor characters, but I just can't see why they'd bring up the whole scar thing. He also stands out as being one of the only non-intellectual/rich folk with any screen time.

I think this was done just to give a basic reason why the footballer wanted eternal life. However, how eternal life is going to help someone with a knee injury, I don't know. It's eternal life, not full health.

Pierre wrote:
If the original 'memory' transfer was actually a success (and arguably MORE of a success since the original host didn't lose her sense of self) then why oh why didn't she reveal herself after the experiment and prevent the whole hassle from ever happening?

The only possible theory I can think for this is Melina didn't want her father to know that she had returned for some reason, such as wanting Janice to be the star on the Crown Petore instead of the now 'alive' Melina. It's not the best theory, but eh.

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Spoiler: Question
Why, though, did the little girl who was half-Melina (was her name Melina too?) start going crazy and push Inspector Grosky off the ship? And why did she feel the need to not tell anyone? Had she been indoctrinated by Whistler or something?

I forget if something was mentioned in the scene in Melina's room. The only ideas I can think of are:

1) Whistler told little Melina a list of things she should do.
2) Little Melina thought Grosky was a bad man.

Pierre wrote:
Also regarding the kidnapped girl who thought she was Melina I think she was somewhat indoctrinated by Whistler into her plans. What I don't properly understand is why the fake Melina girl would know about Professor Layton and know he was a threat to the plan.

I can understand why Janice-Melina would know seeing as Janice was a friend of the professor's and therefore Janice-Melina had access to her memories and knowledge but Melina's spirit alone combined with the little girl could not possibly know of Professor Layton could she?

Maybe influence from Descole? Out of Descole, Whistler, and the little girl, Descole appears to have been the only one who has met Layton. Although he's very well-known, it's possible Whistler has not heard of Layton before the events of Eternal Diva.

Wooster wrote:
What I did find peculiar on the other hand, was how she found the kidnapping case relevant to the mystery of eternal life.

I think at the start, there was no link to it. However, when Emmy saw the picture of the missing girl in her house, se made the link. Either that or it's Layton's intuition? Remember that multiple girls had been kidnapped from London.

Anyway, as for me, I loved the movie. Sure, it had its problems (it tried to cram game-quality content into 90 minutes, meaning many undeveloped characters, for one, although that can be excused) but it's one of the best video game movies ever.

Spoiler: Favourite moments
I loved the moment when the Crown Petore was blown up, as well as the beautiful ending. And Remi kicking one of Descole's goons where it hurts.

I just watched the movie and it was amazing. The puzzles were well thought out I thought, and since I haven't gotten the opportunity to check out specter's flute yet. This introduced me to Growley who I pretty much like more than Chemley.

Spoiler: the eternal diva ending
At the end when he went to say Vislar was under arrest I kinda imagined him saying "Mr. Vislar my chest hair says you're under arrest." and when Vislar asked to play one more song. Just the way Growley looked before turning around and walking away made me think of him saying "my pompador approves this."

Though that could just be me. I just think Growley's a pretty cool guy. He swims with sharks and isn't afraid of anything

"Every puzzle has an answer!"

Eternal Diva is one of the best videogame movie
I've ever watched

I loved how they respected elements from the games without looking ridiculous or weird (like the number of the puzzles or even the music)

Loved every second of it T-T

"We are all but travelers on a road of infinite points." - Godot -

My YouTube channel, click here!

So during the beginning in the present day when does this exactly take place? After Unwound Future?

A Kirby and AA fan

Tomoshibi Amatsu wrote:
I just watched the movie and it was amazing. The puzzles were well thought out I thought, and since I haven't gotten the opportunity to check out specter's flute yet. This introduced me to Growley who I pretty much like more than Chemley.

Spoiler: the eternal diva ending
At the end when he went to say Vislar was under arrest I kinda imagined him saying "Mr. Vislar my chest hair says you're under arrest." and when Vislar asked to play one more song. Just the way Growley looked before turning around and walking away made me think of him saying "my pompador approves this."

Though that could just be me. I just think Growley's a pretty cool guy. He swims with sharks and isn't afraid of anything

Not sure which translations you've seen, but I know them as Inspector Chelmey, Inspector Grosky and Mr. Whistler.

Not that it matters much, but I find it curious that you've written them down so differently.

Tomoshibi Amatsu wrote:
So during the beginning in the present day when does this exactly take place? After Unwound Future?

I think the present day segment of the movie takes place around when the diabolical box takes place since Luke is still actively around Layton and mainly
Spoiler:
Don Paolo is still in his "NYEH HEH HEH I'M EVIL!" phase that he isn't in by the end of the Unwound Future since by then he is turned good.

Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.
Page 1 of 2 [ 62 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)