Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

Layton Brothers is out now! [Japan]Topic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/reitonbu ... ?l=en&mt=8

Er… how did this happen? I mean, this game totally flew under the radar. I'm kinda tempted to get it, except I can't read Japanese, so there's no real point. But the music from the trailer on the main website is amazing.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: Layton Brothers is out now! [Japan]Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Looks more like an AAI game than a Layton game.

Also it sounds like James Bond.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

迷探偵

Just bought the game! \O/ Won't have time to play until tonight though.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Deputy of Self-Esteem

=D Can't wait to hear your hands on Ash! It's really strange how little I'm hearing about this game.

迷探偵

Played through the first two chapters / cases of the game. It appears there are five cases in the game, with more chapters scheduled for the future.

You play as rookie detective Lucy Creila, who has been assigned to the titular 'Mystery Room', supervised by Alphendi Layton (son of the famous Layton). You basically solve cases from the mystery room, with all case information available to you (including 3D models of the crime scene Alphendi creates every time). The game (up until the second chapter) proceed in the following way:

1) Introduction of the case (how the body was discovered, introduction of the (3) suspects)
2) Initial crime scene investigation (in 3D. You just have to look at every thing. There is a time limit, but it is way more than you'll ever need)
3) Say who you think is the most suspicious (if you get this wrong, Alphendi will correct you)
4) The main suspect is called to the mystery room, a bit of mental sparring through pointing out contradictions. Alphendi will ask questions, which you will have to answer with the evidence you collected earlier.
5) Second crime scene investigation to find decisive proof.
6) Final battle with the main suspect. Once again by presenting the right information at the right time.

Some random points:
- Great music
- The cases are _very_ short. 10~20 minutes?
- It's also very easy. You don't really get penalties for getting questions wrong. There is a rating at the end of every case for three categories: Whether your initial guess was right, whether you collected all information and the percentage of questions you got right.
- No real reference to the other Layton series as of now ('cept for Alphendi's name)
- A small reference to Alphendi's little brother at the end of the first case, but an event in the second case does make me think there is something more 'mysterious' behind that.
- The story is very much on rails, only progressing through the answering of Alphendi's questions. Which might be fine and all, but it is kinda irritating when you have a correct idea, but can't present it because Alphendi's questions are heading for another direction / the story is pushing you to another direction. In case two, one thing is very clear from the start and I tried to point that out a lot of times (as it _was_ a viable answer to the questions Alphendi asked in my opinion), but it didn't become a valid answer until the very end of the case.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Ung. I hate it when you see through the designer's lies, try to present that, and they penalize you because "not yet you silly".

But it sounds very very good.

Any chance I could have a copy of the .ipa to tear apart for the soundtrack?

...Hopefully someday... xD

Guh, Ash...Thanks for the info.
I was actually interested of this while ago when I read of this,
but...Now it seems I'll be more happier playing my Unsolved Crimes DS while listening this games tracks, amirite?

Oh well...Don't need to play them all, it seems.
ImageImageImageImage

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Shhhhh

迷探偵

*innocent whistle*
*clicks*

Finally found some time yesterday to clear the game. Random thoughts:

- The game is short! Five cases, but they are 10~20 minutes long, so you have around an hour of gameplay?
- There _is_ an overall story, but it just stops halfway through. There is something that builds up over the course of the cases, and it becomes more serious right at the end of case 5, but then the credits roll. You are just left hanging there, with references to all kinds of things that are going to happen. And I don't know when the new cases will be released (and whether they will cost me extra money!), I can't but feel a bit screwed. It's 800 yen at the moment, so I hope that the new cases will be free updates...
- I love the music and the overall art design. When talking with the main suspect, his defense is portrayed by a heart covered by a metal shield, which you have to destroy by firing the right questions / answers on him. Simple, but effective representation of the situation.
- The cases are really simple. The final case supposedly had a plot twist, but that was the first solution I had after I examined the crime scene =_=' Granted though, the difficulty of the five cases only go up to three stars, and I assume that it will go up to five stars when the new chapters will be released eventually.
- Direct references to professor Layton are made at the end of case 5.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

So… effectively, they sold you half a game… and everything is hinting that to get the rest of the game, it'll be paid in app purchase.

… that kind of low brow activity I'd expect from Capcom or EA. Not Level-5.

Anyways, I'm digging the music, that I clearly did not link to in the previous post. Love the jazz. It's like instead of London we're in 1920's New York. Classy!
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)