Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 24 posts ]

Localization StatusTopic%20Title

Will any of these projects ever be localized?

Gyakuten Kenji 2. Current Status: Japan only.
Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. Current Status: Only Japanese release confirmed.
Ace Attorney Movie. Current Status: Officially released in Japan. Currently showing at film festivals. No word on home video release in other territories.
Concerts/Musicals. Current Status: Only touring in Japan.
CD Soundtracks. Current Status: Japan Only

Any thoughts? Will we ever see any of these?
Re: Localization StatusTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
Ace Attorney Movie. Current Status: Officially released in Japan. Currently showing at film festivals. No word on home video

Going to Spain with potential dub I think definitely subbed at least but likely only in Spanish.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

Prospects for GK2 do not look that great. (If it is localized, it won't be as a DS game, though.)

PLvAA is going to get localized, just because it's Professor Layton. His games tend to be localized slowly, though, so just be patient.

If the movie has already been subbed in English, you'd think it wouldn't be that much to release it as a DVD... Well, we'll see. It's a toss-up. (They might release it when PLvAA comes out; it'd make a bit more sense, since there would presumably be more interest in Nick.)

I highly doubt the musicals will ever leave Japan, just because of how difficult it is to translate a musical. For the concerts... I might be making this up, but I think a whiiiiiile ago someone said that they would bring the concerts to the west if they thought there'd be enough interest. So if PLvAA and AA5 sell really well, just maybe...

CD Soundtracks: VGM albums aren't that popular in the west (which I think is both a cause and result of the fact that so many people who want the soundtracks just download them) so don't expect too much...
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

According to the Ace Attorney Wikipedia page it says that there were plans to release the soundtracks in North America. However, that announcement was made in like 2008 and the source has been taken down.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I think I remember Croik mentioning that the plans for the concert to come west side never manifested. Maybe she learned that at Captivate '08? But yeah, don't hold your breath on that.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

At least we have the promise of the Gyakuten Kenji 2 English patch. :godot:

As for the movie, all of Takshi Miike's films have been released in the US, so I'm sure it will come out here eventually. :phoenix:

Level 5 games usually come out in the west eventually. Emphasis on eventually. Their localizations always take forever. It takes two years for Professor Layton to wash up on our shores. Does this mean that we have to wait until 2014 for PL vs. AA? I sure hope not.

Look at Ni no Kuni. The PS3 version won't come until January 2013, and Japan has had since November 2011. They've had the DS version since 2010, and now we probably won't see it due to so called "hurdles" in translation. They claim that the spell book would take too long to translate. Oh yeah? Then why is it being bundled with the PS3 collectors edition? In other words, the original DS is dead to Level 5. Its 3DS from now on. Sigh, too bad I'll never play Ni no Kuni due to lack of a PS3. :sadshoe:

What about Time Travelers? That looks like an amazing game. The soundtrack is simply beautiful. I honestly hope that we'll see it someday. The visual novel genre is picking up steam here in the west. Heck, Ace Attorney revived the whole genre. With successes like 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, there's money to be made here. :godot:

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Their localizations always take forever. It takes two years for Professor Layton to wash up on our shores. Does this mean that we have to wait until 2014 for PL vs. AA? I sure hope not.

I don't think that's the best way of looking at it. Rather, since Diabolical Box, they've consistently taken about one year between localizations. I would expect PLvAA in October-November 2013, and PL6 in 2014.

In my mind, it would make sense for Nintendo to localize PLvsAA in place of the next Layton game since by then they'll have enough time to translate the copious amounts of text in the game. PL6 probably won't come out in Japan until some time in order to space itself out from PLvsAA's release.

On the good side, since this is a Level-5 published game, and partly a Professor Layton title, Nintendo will probably localize this game and give it the marketing push it deserves.

On the good good side, when Ace Attorney 5 comes out in the West (probably after PLvsAA), it might receive a boost in sales due to the huge fanbase of Layton purchasing the versus title and then being introduced to the Ace Attorney series.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

M5432 wrote:
Their localizations always take forever. It takes two years for Professor Layton to wash up on our shores. Does this mean that we have to wait until 2014 for PL vs. AA? I sure hope not.

I don't think that's the best way of looking at it. Rather, since Diabolical Box, they've consistently taken about one year between localizations. I would expect PLvAA in October-November 2013, and PL6 in 2014.

:objection:

Curious Village
JP: 2/15/2007 NA: 2/17/2008

Diabolical Box
JP: 11/29/2007 NA: 8/24/2009

Unwound Future
JP: 11/27/2008 NA: 9/12/2010

Last Specter
JP: 11/26/2009 NA: 10/21/2011

Eternal Diva (technically this is a movie, but it's still by Level 5)
JP: 12/19/2009 NA: 11/8/2011

The Miracle Mask
JP: 2/26/2011 NA: 10/28/2012

Give or take 1 or 2 months, it's usually takes about 2 years for localization. It will probably take this long for future games as well, unfortunately.

Sorry, I knew I probably worded that badly. I mean, there's about a year between the release of each localized game; Diabolical Box came out in August 2009, Unwound Future September 2010 (~13 months), Last Specter October 2011 (~13 months), Miracle Mask October 2012 (~12 months).

I doubt they're spending the entire two year gap between the Japanese and English releases to work on localization; it would make more sense to work on one game at a time, which means it would really only take a year for localization. This time, the latest game didn't come out long before the localization of the previous game, so they can get to work on it immediately instead of having to wait until after the previous game is finished. I don't know much about the localization process, though, so I could easily be wrong, please correct me if that's the case.

M5432 wrote:
Sorry, I knew I probably worded that badly. I mean, there's about a year between the release of each localized game; Diabolical Box came out in August 2009, Unwound Future September 2010 (~13 months), Last Specter October 2011 (~13 months), Miracle Mask October 2012 (~12 months).

I doubt they're spending the entire two year gap between the Japanese and English releases to work on localization; it would make more sense to work on one game at a time, which means it would really only take a year for localization. This time, the latest game didn't come out long before the localization of the previous game, so they can get to work on it immediately instead of having to wait until after the previous game is finished. I don't know much about the localization process, though, so I could easily be wrong, please correct me if that's the case.

I see what you were trying to say now. But there's really no excuse for the long localization wait. What about visual novel games like Trauma Center? The US releases only come out a month or so after the Japanese release. Some even come BEFORE the Japanese release. If Level 5 wants to have quicker localizations, they should work on them simultaneously. This isn't just with Professor Layton. Look at Ni no Kuni. Look at games like Time Travelers which still remain Japan-exclusive. Other games like the Legend of Zelda or Metal Gear series come out worldwide on the same day. Why can't Level 5 do this? Why can't all game companies do this? :phoenix:

迷探偵

Why would you want to flood your own market? Keeping a certain space of time between releases in a series is a much healthier strategy than going all out. Like mentioned above, they are coming out annually now, which is a pretty good. Don't forget that games are a luxury good and that not everybody is going to buy the newest releases.

And Trauma Center is not a visual novel. Not even close.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
Why would you want to flood your own market? Keeping a certain space of time between releases in a series is a much healthier strategy than going all out. Like mentioned above, they are coming out annually now, which is a pretty good. Don't forget that games are a luxury good and that not everybody is going to buy the newest releases.

Wikipedia lists it as a visual novel in each game's genre section. It's also a simulation game. I was just pointing it out because it's a text-heavy game that requires a good translation. Why not release each Professor Layton closer to their Japanese releases from the start? I guess it's too late at this point, though.

I guess you're right about not flooding the video game market. I'm just disappointed that some Level 5 games take forever to come out of Japan or some don't come at all. Oh well. There's plenty of other games out there. And video gaming is just a hobby. Nothing to lose sleep over, really.

High level play

Ash wrote:

Wikipedia lists it as a visual novel in each game's genre section. It's also a simulation game. I was just pointing it out because it's a text-heavy game that requires a good translation. Why not release each Professor Layton closer to their Japanese releases from the start? I guess it's too late at this point, though.

I guess you're right about not flooding the video game market. I'm just disappointed that some Level 5 games take forever to come out of Japan or some don't come at all. Oh well. There's plenty of other games out there. And video gaming is just a hobby. Nothing to lose sleep over, really.

Trauma Center is not a visual novel. I know it may be hard to place it within a specific genre but for crying out loud the game is about cutting people open, terminating aliens within said body while a blond nurse yells at you only to move on to the next body.
True there is a plot twist (something like that anyway) but this game requires so much skill that you can't classify this as a visual novel.
I mean, I got through the story OK (a lot of game overs, but ok) but the extra hard missions afterwards... I never was able to beat those. As within a novel there is a certain feel of consequent progression in Trauma Center the game stops if you're not good enough and can't get better.

Secondly about flooding the market. The only people who you'd flood would be the people who can read Japanese with a Japanese DS outside of japan (Since they will now import and later get a local version, instead of just one). The revenue gained from this is very low.
HOWEVER, with all the commotion going on within the community, this is a big hard teaser to non-Japanese players. When games release they need a certain hype to sell well (that's what marketing does). If you wait a year before localising you lose a lot of that precious hype. This will either mean you have to start from scratch (as in pump a lot of money into marketing again) or you'll only get the very loyal community as customers.

I'd say the pros of localising early on weigh out the ones of localising later on. Also I really want to play those games now. :sadshoe:
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Sjibbey wrote:
Ash wrote:

Trauma Center is not a visual novel. I know it may be hard to place it within a specific genre but for crying out loud the game is about cutting people open, terminating aliens within said body while a blond nurse yells at you only to move on to the next body.
True there is a plot twist (something like that anyway) but this game requires so much skill that you can't classify this as a visual novel.
I mean, I got through the story OK (a lot of game overs, but ok) but the extra hard missions afterwards... I never was able to beat those. As within a novel there is a certain feel of consequent progression in Trauma Center the game stops if you're not good enough and can't get better.

Secondly about flooding the market. The only people who you'd flood would be the people who can read Japanese with a Japanese DS outside of japan (Since they will now import and later get a local version, instead of just one). The revenue gained from this is very low.
HOWEVER, with all the commotion going on within the community, this is a big hard teaser to non-Japanese players. When games release they need a certain hype to sell well (that's what marketing does). If you wait a year before localising you lose a lot of that precious hype. This will either mean you have to start from scratch (as in pump a lot of money into marketing again) or you'll only get the very loyal community as customers.

I'd say the pros of localising early on weigh out the ones of localising later on. Also I really want to play those games now. :sadshoe:

Trauma Center is half visual novel, half simulation game. The parts with extensive reading is visual novel and the surgery is simulation. This is similar with Ace Attorney. It's part visual novel and part adventure game. Professor Layton is part visual novel and part puzzle game. Want something that's COMPLETELY a visual novel? Check out something like Steins;Gate. All you do is read through text and occasionally make a choice. I recommend it for it's amazing story. If you don't like that kind of game, then watch the anime adaptation.

High level play

Trauma Center is half visual novel, half simulation game. The parts with extensive reading is visual novel and the surgery is simulation. This is similar with Ace Attorney. It's part visual novel and part adventure game. Professor Layton is part visual novel and part puzzle game. Want something that's COMPLETELY a visual novel? Check out something like Steins;Gate. All you do is read through text and occasionally make a choice. I recommend it for it's amazing story. If you don't like that kind of game, then watch the anime adaptation.

I never said that AA and PL were completely visual novels. It makes sense to me that these 2 series were grouped withing these catagories, but Trauma Center steps away from this concept.
I'll admit, even though the story isn't near AA or PL levels, there is a story in the game that develops by reading dialog within gameplay.But does that mean it's a visual novel by this concept alone? No it isn't, if it were, then first person shooters could be catagorized within visual novels as long as the story is told outside of the gameplay along with plot twists etc.

Within a visual novel there is a certain story and logic to be found. This helps you progress through the game (Cases and puzzles in AA and PL). Does story and logic help you laser worms within a patients pancreas in Trauma Center? Again no is the answer. You use your skill to cure the disease and not your wicked cunningness.

Ergo within a visual novel you progress by thinking and making the right decisions and with Trauma Center the progression of the game relies heavily on your doctor skills. If you're simply can't get good enough in performing surgery withing the game, you can't complete it. That's not visual novel like and therefore I believe there is a distinction to be made.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Sjibbey wrote:

I never said that AA and PL were completely visual novels. It makes sense to me that these 2 series were grouped withing these catagories, but Trauma Center steps away from this concept.
I'll admit, even though the story isn't near AA or PL levels, there is a story in the game that develops by reading dialog within gameplay.But does that mean it's a visual novel by this concept alone? No it isn't, if it were, then first person shooters could be catagorized within visual novels as long as the story is told outside of the gameplay along with plot twists etc.

Within a visual novel there is a certain story and logic to be found. This helps you progress through the game (Cases and puzzles in AA and PL). Does story and logic help you laser worms within a patients pancreas in Trauma Center? Again no is the answer. You use your skill to cure the disease and not your wicked cunningness.

Ergo within a visual novel you progress by thinking and making the right decisions and with Trauma Center the progression of the game relies heavily on your doctor skills. If you're simply can't get good enough in performing surgery withing the game, you can't complete it. That's not visual novel like and therefore I believe there is a distinction to be made.

:holdit:

Fair enough, Trauma Center has less visual novel elements than expected of the genre. However, every game website that lists this series has classified it as simulation AND visual novel. If this is listed this many times, then it must be true.

By the way, the First Person Shooter argument does not hold water. A visual novel consists of reading through vast amounts of text. Although choices and puzzles are pretty commonplace nowadays, this does not necessarily have to be in every visual novel. A First Person Shooter is action based with occasional cutscenes. Therefore, it cannot be compared to a visual novel.

High level play

:holdit:

Fair enough, Trauma Center has less visual novel elements than expected of the genre. However, every game website that lists this series has classified it as simulation AND visual novel. If this is listed this many times, then it must be true.

This is a very dangerous thought in my opinion. Simply because something is repeated several times the contents of said message must be true? Such thinking leads to extremists views my friend, be wary.

By the way, the First Person Shooter argument does not hold water. A visual novel consists of reading through vast amounts of text. Although choices and puzzles are pretty commonplace nowadays, this does not necessarily have to be in every visual novel. A First Person Shooter is action based with occasional cutscenes. Therefore, it cannot be compared to a visual novel.

I'll Admit that the FPS argument was a bit flaky, but I tried to use the biggest opposite of a visual novel to prove my point.
The thing is though, I stated why Trauma Center isn't a visual novel based on my perspective of what a visual novel is:

Sjibbey wrote:

If this does not hold water in your opinion, then what exactly is the definition of a visual novel from your perspective? Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about it since you used this as your basis for claiming TC is a visual novel:
Visual novels are distinguished from other game types by their extremely minimal gameplay. Typically the majority of player interaction is limited to clicking to keep the text, graphics and sound moving (most recent games offer 'play' or 'fast-forward' toggles that make even this unnecessary).
Most visual novels have multiple storylines and many endings; the gameplay mechanic in these cases typically consists of intermittent multiple-choice decision points, where the player selects a direction in which to take the game. This style of gameplay has been compared to the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Most, however, strive for a higher level of plot and character depth than the aforementioned series of interactive children's books.

See the differences between Trauma Center and this definition of a visual novel?
The ball is in your court now my friend. :think:

Alright, alright. I can admit when I'm defeated. I guess you've convinced me. Still, if Trauma Center is not a visual novel, why is it listed as one on various websites?

High level play

Well people just have a thing for putting stuff they don't know into boxes. When someone puts it into the visual genre box others will most likely follow. Did you know gamefaqs actually describes the genre as a simulation? (I mean wow, deseases don't get more surreal than this)

I looked up the game info from Atlus.com/TraumaCenter and this is their discription of the game:
Bet you've never played a game about surgery before!

"Trauma Center: Under the Knife" lets you play doctor like never before -- on your Nintendo DS! As Dr. Derek Stiles, players will experience all the highs and lows of medical drama as they save patients and learn cutting-edge medical techniques. The stylus becomes more than just a piece of plastic; it serves as a scalpel, an ultrasound, antibiotic gel, and much more!

You've never experienced fast action like it takes to survive in the O.R.! The patient's condition can go from bad to worse in the blink of an eye, and only one person stands between them and a body bag -- you!

So you've got the Medical Drama, however the site is drawing more attention to the gameplay ( by telling how exciting it is and such). And when I played the game I felt the pressure/adrenaline flow through my body ( I really hate losing even to diseases) when I played the game.
Though unconventional I feel this game is an action game more than anything else.

So it's neither a visual novel nor a simulation game? That's a pretty big surprise for me. I guess it's kind of difficult to categorize it because nothing like it has really been done before. I guess it's created a new type of genre now. Any similar game is now a "Trauma Center" type of game. :godot:

Have any of you gotten the chance to play Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney yet? Got any first impressions? When, if ever, do you think we'll see it localized?

The King of All

Lucky for us, Nintendo recently said they would help third parties localize their games on 3DS the same way they helped Level-5 with Professor Layton!
The king of all, Sir Duke
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)