Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 22 posts ]

Series-End Speculation Thread (TAG SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

This is it, people. The Professor Layton series as we know it is ending in "Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies", released today in Japan (we can expect it for Fall 2014, or earlier if Level-5 International America loves us enough.)

As we approach "REITON-KYÖJU TO SAIGO NO BÖKEN"... that is, "Professor Layton's final adventure", the following questions await answers:

Who is Descole? How does he know Layton?

Where did Emmy come from, exactly? And where is she during the original Layton trilogy?

What are Bronev and Targent's intentions, and what exactly is their relation with Descole and/or Layton?

Spoiler: Mild, not-plot-related Miracle Mask spoiler
Targent claims they have Misthallery's Garden of Healing and Ambrosia, the City of Harmony... How did they seize them?

What happened to Misthallery and Ambrosia? Did they hurt Arianna?

Who is Simon Foster? Where does he know Layton from? ...Is he who we all believe he is? Or is that just a red herring?

Who is Aria, the girl from the AL trailer? Is she really the last Azran? If she is, what is going to happen to her?

Who or what were the Azran? Why did they disappear? And why are Targent and Descole so eager to unearth their secrets?

What is the "Azran treasure" everyone is searching for?

If not related to the Masked Gentleman's true identity, what the hell was the meaning behind the Enigman Coin in "Miracle Mask"?

And most importantly... Where does the series go from here?

The stage is set. Discuss and speculate away.

Re: Series-End Speculation Thread (TAG SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

It's downloading to my 3DS as I type this. I couldn't resist.

Probably won't go through it nearly as quick as I did PLvsAA for a variety of reasons, but looking forward to it.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

迷探偵

I do want to play it, but on the other hand, I just finished Miracle Mask this week, and the last half year has been very Layton-heavy anyway, as I also did Last Specter and Layton vs GS and it is getting a bit tiring...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Bolt Storm wrote:

Probably won't go through it nearly as quick as I did PLvsAA for a variety of reasons, but looking forward to it.

Oh no, it'll be incredibly hard for me not to spoil myself. In any case, whenever you finish it, be prepared to be bombarded with non-spoiler-related questions... Mostly, I want to know if all of this questions get answers, and if they're satisfying enough.

I need to learn Japanese, then get a Japanese 3DS and then buy this game... Before monday.

EDIT: Also, Bolt, if you could rip the music from the sound test as soon as your done, I'd love you forever.

Ash wrote:
I do want to play it, but on the other hand, I just finished Miracle Mask this week, and the last half year has been very Layton-heavy anyway, as I also did Last Specter and Layton vs GS and it is getting a bit tiring...

I too just finished Miracle Mask recently (got all daily puzzles done, now doing 1 a day as they come), and right after that I did a replay of Last Specter... Yet if I knew Azran Legacies were coming out, say, next April in English, I wouldn't doubt to replay Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Last Specter and Miracle Mask, one after the other, in preparation. There is simply no such thing as Layton-tiring for me, I guess!

In any case, it's your call, of course. Hope you don't stumble upon any spoilers :P

1000% Knight

I haven't played any more Layton games since I beat Unwound Future, because that was just the perfect way to end the series.

Let me know if the end of this game is good enough to play the prequel trilogy, though, Bolt.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

元・超会社員級の管理人

DeMatador wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Oh no, it'll be incredibly hard for me not to spoil myself. In any case, whenever you finish it, be prepared to be bombarded with non-spoiler-related questions... Mostly, I want to know if all of this questions get answers, and if they're satisfying enough.

I need to learn Japanese, then get a Japanese 3DS and then buy this game... Before monday.

EDIT: Also, Bolt, if you could rip the music from the sound test as soon as your done, I'd love you forever.

I would love to rip the music - especially because so far it's been the best of the series - but this laptop doesn't have a line-in port, sadly. And feel free to bombard me with questions any time - I'm just not sure if I'll be able to answer them. :shoe:

Only got to play a tiny bit, but one nice touch is that the "Puzzle Solved!" animations run at 60 FPS. It's a small thing, but still nice.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

A true gentleman always objects!

What is Descole's real name and how does he know Layton?

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

When will we find out Level 5 is actually going to make Layton 7 after all?

Maybe JJ Abrams is going to do it.
"This Lens Flare reminds me of a puzzle"

Seriously, from a business standpoint I wonder why they decided to "end" it, although as a fan of Layton I'd like them to have an end.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

A true gentleman always objects!

professor layton wrote:
DeMatador wrote:
And most importantly... Where does the series go from here?

Spoiler: ENDING SPOILERS
I saw the last 2 cutscenes before and after the credits and the first one was just Bronev (the new main villain) having a flashback to the time when his wife died. The second one was the opening scene of curious village (no updated graphics unfortunately). Does anyone think the next game will just be a reboot?
Spoiler: CONTINUED
I saw the first chapter too and they showed front views like Ace Attorney which suggest a second crossover. When Luke starts crying when Aria dies, his eyes are reduced to only the Pupil like Layton which basically confrims (along with other hints throughout the series) that he will be the main protagonist in the next series.

Modedit: Please don't quote that entire gigantic first post if you're only answering one question, and please tag your spoilers usefully. -Bolt

元・超会社員級の管理人

PL, I know you're excited about the game, but please make an effort to contribute in a more organized way. I had to go back and fix up those gigantic posts and saw a few plot details I'd rather not have known yet in the process.

Back on topic, I'm to chapter 4 now and loving it so far. Some of the puzzles are pretty nasty, though. I wonder if they bumped up the difficulty.

Wooster wrote:

PL... That's it. Not only had you been warned before, you just spoiled pretty much everything ever.

I am deleting your latest posts here, and issuing a permanent ban, effective right now.

You're lucky I don't Banhammer the shit out of you.

(Just before this post, not only did he triple post, he completely ignored Bolt's warning about not quoting the entire first post, AND AS IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, he also spoiled a GIGANTIC plot point of the game without the proper use of spoiler tags. So it was basically out there for all to see. I hope none of you did read the spoiler... But now *I* can't get it out my head... I can't forget about it... I FUCKING HATE THIS GUY!!!)

DeMatador wrote:
PL... That's it. Not only had you been warned before, you just spoiled pretty much everything ever.

I am deleting your latest posts here, and issuing a permanent ban, effective right now.

You're lucky I don't Banhammer the shit out of you.

(Just before this post, not only did he triple post, he completely ignored Bolt's warning about not quoting the entire first post, AND AS IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, he also spoiled a GIGANTIC plot point of the game without the proper use of spoiler tags. So it was basically out there for all to see. I hope none of you did read the spoiler... But now *I* can't get it out my head... I can't forget about it... I FUCKING HATE THIS GUY!!!)

Well that sucks but at least if was a late time for a lot of us here, hopefully no one did. And you were faster than my mousepad so I didn't see anything either.

Your sacrifice will be remembered. :mike-salute:

元・超会社員級の管理人

Augh, sorry that hit you DeMat. I was super-busy yesterday (and had been since Monday), so while I saw he'd posted again I didn't have time to go in and clean things up.

That said, let's all calm down, eh? Spoilers get taken pretty seriously around here, but getting worked up over it doesn't help much of anything.

Wooster wrote:

As I said on our PM conversation, Bolt, I will not forgive the guy at all.

Professor Layton is the series that made me decide I'm going to pursue a career in game development. He spoiled the true identity of the main villain of 3 of the series' 6 games, effectively ruining the biggest, most important plot point and twist of the entire series. When I eventually get my hands on Azran Legacies, I will most probably still enjoy it a lot because it promises to be a great game, but the experience will be entirely different thanks to this little idiot.

I don't regret getting mad at this guy, not in the slightest. Before a mod, I'm a gamer, and a huge Professor Layton fan at that.

That being said, you're free to reduce his punishment or whatever. But he's got two and a half strikes. I will not warn him again. He knows multiple posting is agains the rules, and there's a "Preview" button right next to the "Submit" one that's there to make sure you don't make huge mistakes like the one he made.

I'm just gonna stay away from this topic. If anyone finds or rips the music, would you be so kind as to PM me about it? I'd be really grateful if you did :)

元・超会社員級の管理人

Alright, finally got the time to sit down and finish, so ask me anything, as they say. Anything'll be properly spoiler tagged, of course.

General thoughts: if it weren't for chapter 4, which really wound up dragging, I'd call this the strongest overall PL game, I think. Visually the game's a real leap over the other games, the puzzles are pretty well varied, the music is superb. The story is also strong, though like I said, chapter 4 is too long for its own good with too little plot advancement, and then the game's kind of on rapid-fire from there on out.

Wooster wrote:

1000% Knight

Was the ending good enough to warrant ruining the perfect ending that was PL3, and continuing on to play PL4-6?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Bad Player wrote:
Was the ending good enough to warrant ruining the perfect ending that was PL3, and continuing on to play PL4-6?

Honestly, I'm not sure the prequel series "ruins" PL3's ending - sure, PL3's ending was pretty perfect, but as far as prequels go I feel PL4-6 are fairly unobtrusive.

But in any event, PL6's ending is pretty strong, and nicely wraps up the prequel trilogy. That said, it's not quite as strong as PL3's, because PL3's had a lot of buildup to it throughout the entire game (eg. the presence of Celeste, discussion of Luke leaving). PL6's ending kind of throws everything at you in the last few chapters.

Wooster wrote:

1000% Knight

Bolt Storm wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure the prequel series "ruins" PL3's ending - sure, PL3's ending was pretty perfect, but as far as prequels go I feel PL4-6 are fairly unobtrusive.

It's not that they'd "ruin" PL3's ending by themselves... :yuusaku:

I just don't want to keep playing PL after such a perfect ending, and then stop again at a not-as-perfect ending :larry:

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ah, well, for what it's worth I felt like PL6's ending was a good stopping point for the series as well, especially because it throws in some ties to PL1 to bring things full circle.

Wooster wrote:

AIGE and Remnant of the Past Supporter

I watched the first 70 minutes of the game, and I have to say: it looks amazing! I would like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind.

1) How would you rate the game overall?
2) Is it better than Unwound Futures?

And some spoiler questions:

1) Are there any loose ends?
2) Does it give any new insights/information regarding the original trilogy?
3) Are there any previous characters from PL4 or PL5 or even PL1-PL3 that appear (beside the reoccurring characters)
4) Is Descole's face ever shown?
5) Who is Targent?
6) Does the endings from previous games tie up with PL6 closely?
7) Does the movie play any significant role in the game?

Sorry for the questions!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Applebutter wrote:
I watched the first 70 minutes of the game, and I have to say: it looks amazing! I would like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind.

1) How would you rate the game overall?
2) Is it better than Unwound Futures?

And some spoiler questions:

1) Are there any loose ends?
2) Does it give any new insights/information regarding the original trilogy?
3) Are there any previous characters from PL4 or PL5 or even PL1-PL3 that appear (beside the reoccurring characters)
4) Is Descole's face ever shown?
5) Who is Targent?
6) Does the endings from previous games tie up with PL6 closely?
7) Does the movie play any significant role in the game?

Sorry for the questions!

Non-spoilery ones:

1) I can't give a full honest rating because to be honest, my Japanese isn't quite fluent, so I'm sure I missed a lot of subtle bits here and there. I also didn't play the 3 minigames yet or finish all the puzzles. Overall though I liked it quite a lot, especially once the story really hit its stride. My biggest objection was chapter 4, which dragged on way too long without much real plot advancement.
2) They're close. I might give UF the edge though just because AL has the aforementioned pacing issues and UF's ending was much better built up to than AL's.

Spoilery ones:

Spoiler: Various spoilers
1) Not really - everyone gets some sort of resolution.
2) There's a few ties to the original trilogy, such as Chelmey's wife, Amelie, showing up several times. That said I haven't played the original trilogy in years, so I'd have to refresh my memory on if there's anything more subtle there that AL provides connections to.
3) There's quite a few from PL4 (Luke's parents, Hannah, etc.) and a few from PL5 (Bloom), but not many from PL1-3.
4) Yep.
5) They're a private organization that started as a cult following the Azran. In recent years, under the leadership of Bronev, they've become more militaristic and focused on solid results, though they were already kidnapping Azran researchers before he took over.
6) In a sense - like Bronev says at the end of PL5, the various ruins of the prequel trilogy are from the Azran, but they don't play a direct role in the plot.
7) Not really besides Ambrosia being referenced as one of the Azran ruins.

Wooster wrote:

迷探偵

Finished Azran just now, so my two cents on it: I didn't think too much of Miracle Mask actually, but I mostly enjoyed Azran quite well. The middle part (chapter four) is a bit weak because of a unconcentrated set-up, resulting in lite-Layton stories which aren't bad per se, but not that strong either. The latter half of the game on the other hand is basically a copy of my favorite Ghibli film (really, way too similar) and full of Dramatic and Important Plot Reveals which are fired at the gamer in a very unsubtle way, but the puzzles and music are great and the despite the way they're presented, the Dramatic and Important Plot Reveals are effective in doing what they should do.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Page 1 of 1 [ 22 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)