Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 7 posts ]

Animation lag/ slowing down?Topic%20Title

I'm currently on Chapter 6 of the game, so I haven't finished it yet, but...

Is it just me or do the 3d character 'sprites' sometimes run less smoothly than normal? It seems to happen when there are 3 or more characters onscreen at once, especially if they all have more detailed models/ animations. It also seems to make the text box run less smoothly.

Has anyone else had this?
Re: Animation lag/ slowing down?Topic%20Title

Mostly human

I've had it and I've seen enough posts about it here and elsewhere to know it's not an isolated or random bug.

They went through some hoops to mitigate it; the models on the witnesses are significantly less detailed when they're doing their huddle in the first witch trial and the regular knights have less detailed models as they frequently appear in pairs.

It's usually not too bad but there's a bit later in the game where the slowdown is really prevalent and it somewhat spoils what is a pretty neat scene. It's a shame they didn't get rid of it during localization really but that might have been asking a bit much.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I take it you're not too familiar with technical aspects of videogaming? What causes the graphics to move "less smoothly" is because the framerate drops, and that happens if the graphics of the game push the 3DS hardware too much, which is why it often happens when there are more than two highly-detailed character models on the screen at once.

Usually PLvsPWAA is set to display 30 frames per second but because the 3DS can't display as many polygons at once as for example a Wii, a Phoenix, Barnham and Espella, plus the background art (which is also layered for 3D) is enough to make the 3DS sweat bullets and then the framerate goes down to 15 frames per second (or maybe it's even lower).

It's not really correct to call it a "bug". It's simply that they haven't optimized the presentation enough to make the game run at a stable 30fps at all times, but if they had done so Phoenix would probably have less polygons or something like that and the game would start looking a lot less gorgeous, so it has been a win-lose situation for Capcom/Level-5
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Ace Procrastinator

linkenski wrote:
I take it you're not too familiar with technical aspects of videogaming? What causes the graphics to move "less smoothly" is because the framerate drops, and that happens if the graphics of the game push the 3DS hardware too much, which is why it often happens when there are more than two highly-detailed character models on the screen at once.

Usually PLvsPWAA is set to display 30 frames per second but because the 3DS can't display as many polygons at once as for example a Wii, a Phoenix, Barnham and Espella, plus the background art (which is also layered for 3D) is enough to make the 3DS sweat bullets and then the framerate goes down to 15 frames per second (or maybe it's even lower).

It's not really correct to call it a "bug". It's simply that they haven't optimized the presentation enough to make the game run at a stable 30fps at all times, but if they had done so Phoenix would probably have less polygons or something like that and the game would start looking a lot less gorgeous, so it has been a win-lose situation for Capcom/Level-5

It's pretty weird... Dual Destinies's engine was able to render Apollo, Phoenix and a big portion of the Themis Lecture Hall like it was nothing. Perhaps polygon count isn't all that's slowing the game down?

"Eggs?"

Spoiler:
I seem to recall the frame rate dropping when Eve the cat left Espella's side and walked over to where Layton and the newly arrived Darklaw were standing. Maybe because it was panning around the courtroom following Eve, and then the combination of the Professor and Darklaw made it slow down that much more.

I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Internetakias wrote:
It's pretty weird... Dual Destinies's engine was able to render Apollo, Phoenix and a big portion of the Themis Lecture Hall like it was nothing. Perhaps polygon count isn't all that's slowing the game down?

The power of MT Framework Mobile :-P (which is the name of the engine Capcom uses for 3D heavy 3DS games)

But here's the draw though. PLvsPWAA seems to keep the framerate much better with 3D on full, while DD has an unlocked framerate (way less stable, sometimes it's 40fps, sometimes it's 23, sometimes it's 60 or 30fps but never just stable 60 or 30 most of the time) and when 3D is on the framerate gets worse. In PLvsPWAA's moments when it lags I felt like it didn't really matter if 3D was on or off. It's like the game is programmed to always render the extra 3D effect in the background or something so there isn't a change or a hit to the performance depending on how much 3D you have on.

As for the 3D environments as well as some slick particle effects I thought PLvsPWAA looked more advanced, plus the MT Framework has some weird pixeling or corny-looking artifacts all over the image. Very subtle but in comparison PLvsPWAA just looks a little cleaner somehow.

EDIT: Oh, who am I kidding, let's also not forget that this game started development when the 3DS was unveiled so it probably doesn't fully utilize the 3DS hardware like Dual Destinies had the benefit of since it started development much later.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Programmer

It's just poor coding. The scenes are so simple that there is no need for any fancy visibility solving and there are so few models at any point in time that there is no excuse. One could blame the character models for being too detailed, but I don't think that they are the true cause of the problem. I would like to see profiler data before I pin the blame on any one feature. And they are not going to share such data.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)