Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 16 posts ]

Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title

"Eggs?"

Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title

The cape is self-fluttering

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?

I like the British VA better if only for the consistency. I've said it before, but it seemed like the American VA was all over the place. It didn't sound... natural, I suppose? My only complaint is that now he sounds more like a girl instead of a ten or eleven-year-old boy.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

This. I like the sound of Lani Minella as Luke, but her voice lacks consistency (I guess having a 3.5 octave range voice will do that to you). On the other hand, Luke's English VA is more consistent, but unfortunately, it's consistently grating to my nerves. Why they couldn't get someone who could sound more masculine is beyond me.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I don't see the problem with him sounding too "feminine" - to me he always sounded like a little boy. With that said, I like his British voice, in a way (which I may have mentioned before) he sounds like a UK version of Bart Simpson, which would probably be annoying to hear all the time in real life, but for a videogame character it fits, and sounds fun and cute. Also his accent is awesome. I can't say that much for the American voice, as I've only heard it in brief voiceclips and not while playing the game, but to me there's something off with it. I can't really put my finger on why excactly, but part of it may be that it sounds both like a child and as and adult at the same time, and that's somewhat uncanny.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

High level play

I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

I guess it depends on what you're used to first and foremost.

I had never heard the American VA for Luke until very recently as (being British myself). I adore our Luke's voice because you can tell it wasn't a chore for Maria Darling to keep it going. He sounds more like a little cockney Londoner trying his best to be a gentleman. He's sweet and comforting to listen to, which goes well with Layton's voice.

I have only heard the American version in LPs on Youtube and just sounds awful to me. It's not just the typical "You can tell it is an American putting on a British accent" thing - it's everything about it. True, I'm bias but I think it says a lot when people who have heard the US version first hand question why it was re-dubbed for them in the first place.
Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own

The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.

TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.

I figured as much. British releases can be held back simply to keep them in line with the rest of Europe.

It is unusual for Nintendo of Europe to go to the effort of doing any re-dubbing as they generally don't bother. Take Fire Emblem: Awakening: the text itself was clearly localised for a British audience (British spelling, cockney jargon etc.) but they still used the US VAs, which doesn't gel very well.

It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.

ZAWA ZAWA

I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.

Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.

Skittlemask wrote:
I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.

I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.

The cape is self-fluttering

scarlettpeony wrote:
I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.

I could've done without little Espella's acting, but other than that... yeah.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Sjibbey wrote:
I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

This I gotta hear.

High level play

Nurio wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:

This I gotta hear.

After you do please tell me your experience. I'm wondering if I'm just too sensitive when it comes to this kind of stuff or if my complaint is legit.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

To be fair, I don't mind English!Luke during the prequel trilogy, since it takes place a few years earlier, thus making Luke younger. It's during the original trilogy and PLvsPW I take issue with the voice. At least during the original trilogy, any inconsistencies with Luke's American voice can be explained away by puberty or something. lol

"Eggs?"

Something I found interesting...
To explain the Minella inconsistencies, they may have had a few complaints on how Minella sounds for Luke in the original trilogy, because some people claimed that (and I noticed this too when I replayed Unwound Future) that Luke and Flora sounded WAY too alike, accent and tone-wise. Maybe they tried to fix that by making his voice a little deeper? Not sure.
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

Trainer Gold - Johto Champion.

This might be a bit of a necropost, but I've always liked Luke's UK VA better than his US VA. For starters, Luke's US VA sounded like he had a cold. Even if I had never heard his UK VA, I still reckon his US voice would've sounded pretty sullen, lacking the vigour and cheeriness that his UK voice has, if you know what I mean.

But forcing Luke's UK voice, as well as UK spellings, on the US version, is another thing entirely. Although us Australians have had to put up with US spellings, and I even heard of a Yank wanting US spellings, even in Australian and UK spellchecks (in Microsoft Office), seeing the UK doing the same thing to the US is something I've rarely seen and one part of me sorta feels sorry for them in a way, while another part of me wants to shout "sucked in, Americans"!

However, when I picked up "Curious Village", (because Australia got the US version of that and Spectre's Call/Last Spectre), I actually noticed Luke's US voice sounded a tad higher in tone than in Last Spectre, almost sounding like his UK voice, apart from the accent. That, I think, was probably the inconsistency in the US VA. However, using Luke's UK voice, as well as UK spellings is probably an inconsistency that would hit US players about as hard as the "inconsistency" I noticed when I got Last Spectre (a.k.a. Luke having a cold and a bunch of words being spelt "wrong").
To all the creepypastas, Romans, etc.
http://pa1.narvii.com/5806/85074bd75bdf ... 9d1_hq.gif
YOU JUST MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

I've become a DeviantArt member! Link to my DeviantArt Here:
http://articuno32.deviantart.com/
Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)