Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

How's the art book?Topic%20Title

Athena Internet Defense Force

Is it worth buying for $40 (s/h included)?
Re: How's the art book?Topic%20Title

A Cat

I think so; I'm not finished but it's enjoyable thus far and the story is really well written. Plus it's nice to see the Maya + Nick combo back!

The art is also 3D like dual destinies and it looks and feels similar to that as well.

CatsCatsCats wrote:
I think so; I'm not finished but it's enjoyable thus far and the story is really well written. Plus it's nice to see the Maya + Nick combo back!

The art is also 3D like dual destinies and it looks and feels similar to that as well.

Er...I think you're talking about the game, not the art book. I've already beaten the game.

Eater of minds

I don't really know how to judge an artbook since this is personally my first one :ron: So I guess it depends on 'what makes a good artbook' for you...?

I've read some people mention that Layton VS AA is a really good artbook. It does have a lot of character concept arts, including scrapped ones which never made it into the game (which is a shame, there are really interesting ones :sadshoe: ). Storyteller in particular has a lot of versions before they settled with what we have now :hotti: Also uh... just ask if there's anything in particular you wanna know...? :eh?:

I couldn't really tell you if it's worth $40 since I just got mine here from the recent contest... XD but according to the declared value on the package, it was $60... so I guess $40 is a good deal...? :shoe:

Really just the level of thoroughness. Exclusive official art is usually a good selling point (the AA5 book has one piece of exclusive art and a lot of gag pictures at the back).

Eater of minds

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
Really just the level of thoroughness. Exclusive official art is usually a good selling point (the AA5 book has one piece of exclusive art and a lot of gag pictures at the back).

Hm... what I could say for sure is- it definitely has a lot of sketches. If you have the art gallery DLCs from that game, you'd have a good idea what you'll be seeing.

Basically, the first half of the book (up until page 144) is comprised of character concepts. The rest (book has 175 pages) is dedicated to showing off backgrounds (images are small though) and other misc. stuff such as exclusive event CGs and a bit of anime cutscene storyboard (or at least that's what I think it is...). Soooo.... yeah, you could say it focuses a lot of character concepts (real shame I can't read it :larry: ).

Well I went ahead and got it.

All nice pictures, although I had forgotten that the game included an art viewer too so a lot of the stuff turned up in both places. I do like all the higher resolution stuff, though, and there's more content not included in the game's art viewer (such as animation storyboards for the cutscenes).

元・超会社員級の管理人

So the OP already got it, but to anyone else: the book really is quite nice, especially if you can read Japanese, since most of the characters have comments from Shu Takumi and Kazuya Nuri.

If you're looking to buy, Amazon.co.jp has the book for about 2,500 yen. Including shipping to the US, that currently comes out to about $30 total, due to the weak yen. (Shipping/conversion costs'll vary depending on where you live, of course.)
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)