Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Page 2 of 2[ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Case 2 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

The video game boy; the one who wins

This case is... ok. It's rather fun at times, the mystery is good and it comes together pretty well, it's just that it feels muddled and about five times longer than it could have been. Okay, maybe not really, but good heavens do these guys talk. Especially at the end, I thought I was about to wrap the case up but even when we know who the killer was we have to rebut two testimonies from freakin' Courtney before we even get to talk to the killer, at which point one has to debunk about ten things with what felt like five minutes of blabbering between each. Every one and their mother doesn't have to butt in every time I try to make a point or raise an objection. I feel like I'm getting cross-eyed. Or that first logic chess with Elbird that only served to prove... what exactly? That he didn't sleep? People are prone to talk needlessly in any AA-game at times, but this time is the only one where I felt that it has become an actual and consistent problem and not just a nuisance, and dragged down my opinion of the case by quite a bit.

Which is too bad, because as I mentioned, I liked the mystery part. I like how all three prisoners did their share of messing things up, and how everything pointing to Dogen initially made sense rather than having the obviously framed route (and how he just rolled with it), and how Souta being wrongly accused also made sense seeing as he ended up in detention and we helped him because we were assisting a defense attorney, while usually when people get wrongly accused in Investigations in mostly just people pointing fingers and Edgeworth barging in to out-logic them. Also there were quite a lot of loose pieces which came together nicely eventually... so it could have been a rather tight and solid case.

I got so confused when first watching the surveillance video where "Knightley" got attacked by the "dog". Guard: "The camera caught something terrible!" *person randomly running around in the cell* Um, yeah, very terrible...

Edgeworth's whole motive here just seems off. He goes out of his way and ignores the risk of losing his badge because... he really, really wants to investigate this particular case? Why? At one point Courtney says something about it and he goes "But... the investigation...!" and then nothing else. I feel that "But... the investigation...!" is the only thing that keeps him (and therefore the case through the player's eyes) going.

I like pretty much all of the character. Regina's cameo doesn't feel very necessary as she doesn't do much that couldn't have been done by other means, but on the other hand it might have felt weird to just have Souta there alone. Sahwit's return didn't feel completely necessary either, but I guess the alternative would be creating a new character to fill his role, which wouldn't have been needed either, so might as well have him there, it suited him pretty well after all. Although, in a prison setting it's a little disappointing that he's the only former AA-criminal we get to meet again.

Logic chess is such a wasted opportunity for fun mistake-dialogue. It disappoints me to no end that it's the same standard-wrong answer-dialogue to every wrong reply taken, when we have replies such as "Did you ride the whale?" and "You were the one who was murdered!"

Spoiler: Entire game
Playing this already knowing Souta's deal, I like how he got a fairly solid characterization even if the twist hadn't been there, he has a bit of an arc in this case alone with his own doubts and stuff, so it really feels like we would be finished with him and that he's not obviously made for a twist later on.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Replayed this myself and...yeah. It's pretty mediocre. Talking about the negatives..

I do agree at the motive for Edgeworth doesn't make sense. I didn't really get why this case was even attracting him that much. Maybe it's because Knightley was the victim! Still a pretty contrived excuse to be on the case though.

The logic proposed by Courtney at the Special Cell made no sense either. 'Oh, so Elbird knocked out the guard but didn't do the same to Knightley and negotiated with him. There's no proof to suggest this but I bet he's lying and I don't believe him on this. Oh btw did you see the dead body under the well Elbird? No? Well I believe you because it helps me now.' Just the blatant cherry picking and lack of proof is terrible and it's kind of ironic that Sebastian's supposed to be the stupid one here.

And the end dragged on forever. People continuously talk about AAI-5's long confrontation but never this. I honestly hated this even more than that. I was just skipping through most of it while rolling my eyes at the end. Good grief what a waste of time that was.

Also...

Quote:
People are prone to talk needlessly in any AA-game at times, but this time is the only one where I felt that it has become an actual and consistent problem and not just a nuisance, and dragged down my opinion of the case by quite a bit.

I think this may be why I just sort of tune out in AAI and DD- both Yamazaki games. No offence to the guy, but I always feel like he makes his characters talk more than necessary. Though I also tune out during JFA and occasionally PLvsAA, those are usually for other reasons (the lacklustre soundtrack and pointless expositioning respectively). But during a lot of DD, AAI and the first 2 cases of AAI2 the characters keep droning on and on and I stop paying attention. Thankfully it's less prevalent in the next 3 cases as well as most of SoJ though.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Mm, often they talk a lot between segments too, like before cross-examinations in DD so you're just kind of sitting around waiting to get to do something. It feels like it often could have both been shortened down and better integrated with the parts where the player actually gets to do stuff.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Oh, definitely. Sometimes there's just a lot of talk clarifying stuff before the cross examination. Which is confusing, because isn't that what cross examinations are for? It really does drag on more than necessary tbh. More like I'm in an actual courtroom. I wish that these games had proofreaders to cut down on pointless dialogue like that.

Grnk! (This disturbs me greatly!)

I'm just going to drop in to say that the villain's theme is underrated. Okay goodbye.
Page 2 of 2 [ 45 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)