Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Page 2 of 6[ 240 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

I don't really get the confessing thing in Ace Attorney. For example, in real life, when criminals are on trial, quite often we hear they claim innocence... Even after their conviction, they often try appealing their cases... And in AA it's like "Oh, I give up, I guess it's time for my execution"

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Poor Kristoph. How long has he been in the forging business anyway? Although I don't usually pay much attention to the development of villain characters, he's one that had some (retconned, at least), thanks to GS5's explanation of black psyche-locks. If they do ever expand on his development, that would make things more interesting.

Anyway, if we do imagine how Edgeworth's trials go after he's finished his lengthy rebuttals out of court, they probably wouldn't be so exciting to watch. By that point, we'd already know who's the guilty party... unless, of course, he faces off against Phoenix Wright. Then, things explode into flames.

Most likely, the defense lawyers Edgeworth faces are like Payne, but on the opposite side instead (like that one guy in the live-action movie).
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I kinda have the feeling that most of these solved-by-defense-attorneys and solved-at-the-scene cases are prosecuted by Payne. Because they're easy.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Bad Player wrote:
Don't forget that we never see the criminals' trials in the main GS games; like in GK, we just assume they go to trial and get convicted.

Good point.

And since you guys say it'll be brought up later in the plot, I really wish I could just play the rest.

And I just figured something out in regards to translation/localisation writing in GK games. On Capcom-Unity there was a new update recently about one of the lead crew of the localization of Ace Attorney, Janet Hsu, who mentioned that including GS5 she's done 5 games, that's right 5 games in total, which means she wasn't on AAI. Maybe that's a reason why AAI got so half-assed and maybe the writing is really good in both GK games but it got bottlenecked by the official/fan-localisation.

Either way, it's not a totally big issue with GK2. I should be more humble considering how much time all these die-hard fans and programmers spent making this translation for us :maya:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

I vanish from this forum for about 3 days, and all of a sudden my topic has 2 pages! I FEEL SO LEFT OUT.
Behold! The Ace Attorney Band!

linkenski wrote:
Mracy wrote:
It has a stronger overall story and offers a different type of gameplay from normal AA games.

Statement 2: Uh, do I need to say more than GS1 or GS3?

Overall though the main problem with GK is that it feels somewhat meaningless. I mean you're solving these crimes and you usually end up arresting the culprit, but what happens after that? The main GS games took the important part of the criminal story, the part where the accused's fate was actually decided. In GK you just arrest them and it's as if assumed they're automatically convicted in their following case.

YES YOU DO. I'm afraid that I can't tell you how great the GK2 storyline is, since the translation doesn't contain case 3~5.
Plus, the main problem in GK that you've pointed out, 'No further description what's next when the accused stand trial', is totally fixed in GK2, so you could expect on it; even if you knew that already.
Spoiler: Case 5
there's a trial of the culprit on case 2.

I'm Korean, I beg your apology for my horrible english grammer.

And I'm looking forward to that, then. But the lack of good characterisation and Shu Takumi's writing style drags these games down a lot still imo. But I do get the feeling Yamazaki is no longer just forcing a pale imitation of the old style with this game and GS5, and that's important. I just wish the new characters didn't have to be so dumb. I'd say, so far Jay Elbird, Raymond, Justine and barely Debeste make me roll my eyes because they're too try-hard in the way they're written.

And Kay just demands attention all the time. I wish she'd been written out and you could have Ray or Gumshoe as your companion throughout the whole game instead. Her "stealing" puns were funny in the beginning, but then it started getting annoying after a while.

More positively what I did like so far are stuff like the new Little Thief mechanics, and I guess that's the sole reason Kay is even in GK2. It's great they added an extra layer of puzzle solving by giving you the control over what time-frame to render with the device.

Spoiler:
And about case 2, I did actually like Patricia, and I thought her motive was okay for once. It's relieving to hear it's only goes upward in quality from here because so far I think GK2 is around the same level as AAI in terms of narrative.

Well, the villains' characters until the final case are not very compelling and I would say they are a bit obvious... So you might be disappointed if you expected more in this area... ^^;

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
And about case 2, I did actually like Patricia, and I thought her motive was okay for once. It's relieving to hear it's only goes upward in quality from here because so far I think GK2 is around the same level as AAI in terms of narrative.

What?! They have, like, the silliest motive in the game!
Spoiler: case 2
"He was playing chess with a guy I don't like. HE MUST DIE."

Spoiler: case 5
Okay yeah, it DOES make a lot more sense in the end... but in just case 2 alone, it's really silly

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Sligneris wrote:
Well, the villains' characters until the final case are not very compelling and I would say they are a bit obvious... So you might be disappointed if you expected more in this area... ^^;

You said that I wanted to say.
Unlike the case of GS, all incidents of GK/GK2 happens consecutively and each have very strong relations with each other. So it's not quite odd if one plays just 2 cases and disappoints, but I rather ask him/her to wait until the full translation release and play the whole game.

I'm not giving my name to a machine!

Comparing GK2 to GK in that manner is undermining it a bit... you could definitely take AAI-2 and AAI-3 out of the game entirely and lose nothing, there's only one thing that keeps them tangentially related to the overarching plot, and it certainly doesn't advance it any. GK2 is the only game in the series where each case is absolutely integral.

Gumpei wrote:
You could definitely take AAI-2 and AAI-3 out of the game entirely and lose nothing,

You couldn't take AAI case 3 out of the game. Ernest is suspect of KG-8 incident, and many characters are related also. Even though actual case doesn't contain so much plots about smuggling ring. AAI-3 could be compared with AJ-3; both seems unimportant but the main keywords are mentioned so you can't ignore entirely.

Yeah, I know this is pointless.

I'm not giving my name to a machine!

The main point is that the case itself is unconnected. A character from the case (like 4-3), Ernest, is the only connection to the overarching plot, and even his presence doesn't really mean much, you could have taken him out with ease with one minor change. Or put him in a different case. Ernest and Zinc could have gotten fused together, actually.

...I suddenly want to see a sprite edit of that sort.

Spoiler: Case 5, spoiler-ish
Er, is it just me, or was the breakdown really, REALLY sudden? Edgeworth recoils at least three times in five minutes, the suspect laughs and claims he's untouchable (and he's pretty much right), aaaaand then it's all over in the blink of an eye, just like in case 4.

Thane wrote:
Er, is it just me, or was the breakdown really, REALLY sudden? Edgeworth recoils at least three times in five minutes, the suspect laughs and claims he's untouchable (and he's pretty much right), aaaaand then it's all over in the blink of an eye, just like in case 4.

Did you watch a playthrough of the game on Youtube? MegamanNG's run goes especially quickly because he knows what the answers are, but he doesn't know what the text is actually saying.
Spoiler: Long story short,
the final boss thought he had everything under control as long as the murder couldn't be directly linked to him. Edgeworth (and Ema) proved him wrong right there. It's a much longer road to taking him down than it was to take Alba down.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Thane wrote:

Did you watch a playthrough of the game on Youtube? MegamanNG's run goes especially quickly because he knows what the answers are, but he doesn't know what the text is actually saying.
the final boss thought he had everything under control as long as the murder couldn't be directly linked to him. Edgeworth (and Ema) proved him wrong right there. It's a much longer road to taking him down than it was to take Alba down.

Actually I watched Dowolf's walkthrough. As far as I know, Megamanng doesn't translate his walkthrough, right?

Still,
Spoiler:
it wasn't a matter of 'knowing what the answers were' that made it seem fast, I was referring to the arguments. The killer's arguments actually mae more sense than Edgeworth's. Furthermore, he could have easily claimed to have had a bouqet of flowers with him, which he dropped when he was shot at. There would have been no way to prove whose flowers were whose.

Thane wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Thane wrote:

Actually I watched Dowolf's walkthrough. As far as I know, Megamanng doesn't translate his walkthrough, right?

Still,
Spoiler:
it wasn't a matter of 'knowing what the answers were' that made it seem fast, I was referring to the arguments. The killer's arguments actually mae more sense than Edgeworth's. Furthermore, he could have easily claimed to have had a bouqet of flowers with him, which he dropped when he was shot at. There would have been no way to prove whose flowers were whose.

Spoiler:
Actually, it was already proven beforehand that those flowers belong to the President. They were found in the balloon's basket shortly after the balloon was recovered. The only time they could have made it up there at all would have been during the crime. It was a simple matter to find Souta's fingerprints there along with the President's, and voila: game over. Besides, the animals looked ready to pound him anyway.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Thane wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Still,
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Actually, it was already proven beforehand that those flowers belong to the President. They were found in the balloon's basket shortly after the balloon was recovered. The only time they could have made it up there at all would have been during the crime. It was a simple matter to find Souta's fingerprints there along with the President's, and voila: game over. Besides, the animals looked ready to pound him anyway.

Spoiler:
Right, thank you for clearing that up, it just didn't make sense to my why he'd surrender so quickly if he had that argument left. However, I still think the ending was too sudden, although it wasn't nearly as abrupt as the fourth case - I thought they had just started when the killer gave up.

Spoiler:
Haha, it's because Banzai had control over his trial, as shown during the fifth case. Even if he was arrested, he wouldn't be convicted because that one ally of his had the judge's son as a hostage. But then, Yumihiko came along and threw in a huge monkey wrench into his plan, and once Gummy and Kay found said hostage, he was in deeeeeep patooey.

Still, I found von Karma as the better villain. Even when he wasn't nearly as intimidating as he had been back in the first game, he still had me run around clueless for a bit. However, I couldn't resist seeing Gregory make a little slip up and flash that badass grin anyway.

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Spoiler:
However, I couldn't resist seeing Gregory make a little slip up and flash that badass grin anyway.

Yes. This. SO MUCH.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Spoiler:
Haha, it's because Banzai had control over his trial, as shown during the fifth case. Even if he was arrested, he wouldn't be convicted because that one ally of his had the judge's son as a hostage. But then, Yumihiko came along and threw in a huge monkey wrench into his plan, and once Gummy and Kay found said hostage, he was in deeeeeep patooey.

Still, I found von Karma as the better villain. Even when he wasn't nearly as intimidating as he had been back in the first game, he still had me run around clueless for a bit. However, I couldn't resist seeing Gregory make a little slip up and flash that badass grin anyway.

Spoiler:
Yeah but he was apprehended before I even had time to blink. Also, he decided it was a good idea to give Edgeworth a bunch of information when he decided to drop him a visit in jail. Bansai's character was a mess, honestly. It was like an attempt at making a hardcore version of Gant and failing spectacularly, even if his sprites were hilarious.

As I said before in this thread, I didn't like what they did to Von Karma in this game. He practically started sweating bullets at everything Gregory said, which was so out of character.

I'm not trying to hate on this game, by the way. I really, really want to enjoy it, but I just don't.

I don't even understand how they could make such a basic mistake in writing a returning character though. I know Manfred would be super-annoying if he was constantly like in 1-4 but it didn't make sense to make him so anxious of Gregory. I don't think I ever pictured their rivalry to be like that.

linkenski wrote:
I don't even understand how they could make such a basic mistake in writing a returning character though. I know Manfred would be super-annoying if he was constantly like in 1-4 but it didn't make sense to make him so anxious of Gregory. I don't think I ever pictured their rivalry to be like that.

I always imagined it'd be something like this

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

If you do think about it for a moment though, it does add a new layer people probably didn't think about: Manfred's relationship with Gregory (and thus Manfred's behaviour in private) would be completely different in some aspects to what Manfred acted like in public. It's not so out of character if you do think about it this way: Manfred cares about his appearance, his reputation, the perfection in the public's eyes, that is in court, where his actions are actually being evaluated. People only mention von Karma's actions in court when they talk about him, so yeah...

They probably were not aiming for this, but like Uchikoshi thinks, a writer doesn't really decide on their characters (so one can speculate), so I strongly believe that it just strengthens a side of his character.

That actually makes perfect sense, and I guess it's the nature of the GK games (confrontations still remind me of courtroom battles) that makes me think Manfred should be like he was in 1-4.

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

I do have to say though, that in AAI, Manfred seemed to retain his old behavior, but that can be for three compatible reasons; he's at the district court, he wants Edgeworth to think his way, and he wasn't confronted to any straining situation.

I wish they had added more informal sprites for him in thos game (such as the smile, but hey, maybe Manfred lacks confidence in private :P )

Huh? Smile on Manfred's face?

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

I'm refering to this sprite in particular: http://www.court-records.net/animation/karma-smirk(a).gif

I just got some Ceylon tea because Edgeworth likes it. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be really good. :phoenix:

1000% Knight

Danielinhoni wrote:
I'm refering to this sprite in particular: http://www.court-records.net/animation/karma-smirk(a).gif

Hotlinking?!
And you didn't even do it right! :taser:

...But he does have his smirk.

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

He has the smirk in GK2? Then my memory is not as good as it used to be xD (It's been a while since I watched Case 3). Then I have nothing to say about the sprites xP

@Bad Player
Ah but am I hotlinking? After all, the image is not automatically loaded for each user~ (Which is why hotlinking is bad)

Okay I've just finished playing the first two cases and my thoughts are... Edgeworth's kinda boring. Yeah I think you have to be a real hardcore Edgy fan to enjoy this game, even it's predecessor I preferred.

I'll start with what I liked, because y'know an AA game is still a quality thing, in some regards.
- The fact that I got to play it. Such a great job with the translation and I'm very glad I finally got to play some of the cases.

- Hell I'm gonna say it: I like the blatant use of old characters. It's nice to see some of them again. Like Regina, and the fact that she's a regular at the prison. Kinda made me think that maybe she does go visit Acro and keeps him updated on Bat's condition.

- Some new characters. Simon was a good addition, nice to know someone is taming Money. And of course I liked Ray - typical cool guy, very easy to like. Possibly Debaste? Kinda funny and at least he isn't just another evil prosecutor. Oh and Knightley as well, I didn't want him to be a murderer :sadshoe:

- As always, I love when in the series a character reveals their true nature. Thought the President's real sprite was hilarious and -without sounding perverted- I was waiting for the longest time for the fur coat to come off the Warden.

The bad...
- :edgeworth: losing any iota of cool he had. How all the characters in the game seem obsessed with him and he does that stupid 'Nggg' or 'Urph' shocked face. He's far too serious and his jokes are always bad. Always.

- I agree with someone on here who said that Kay really has no reason to be in this game. I liked that last game she was connected to the main arc whereas in this one she's just there because I guess some crazy s happened a couple weeks ago and now she just wants to hang out with Edgy and Gummy? I still like her I just find her a bit pointless here. Oh and as much as I love Gumshoe, he is so dull in these spinoffs. His rapport with Edgeworth is just grating, nothing humorous in it.

- So preachy. How many times must Edgeworth repeat that he wants to uncover the truth? Or that he is just acting as a defense attorney's assistant, but still a prosecutor. It's not that confusing. And I get that this is a hint to his past since his dad was a badass defense attorney and Edgeworth has definitely strayed from that path. But honestly all that internal dialogue doesn't work so much as a hint or foreshadowing for the next case/s as much as it did bore me with any remote interest I might have had with Edgeworth possibly changing sides, as he sort of did for Wright in T&T.

- Justine Courtney. I don't hate her, her hammer thing is pretty badass and she has a cool character design. But seriously? What is a judge doing on a crime scene? Why did she already consider Simon or that journalist girl guilty before their trials? She was far too much like a prosecutor or maybe a detective, but a judge? Not so much.

- Case 2 was so over the top in length that I actually turned the sound off in the end part 2 and started listening to an audiobook while playing. Kinda makes me think the other cases are going to be on par with AAI case 5.

BUT it is a spinoff so I guess all that is to be expected. Roll on Oct 24. I'm sure I'll preferred Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth to this defense attorney assistant version.

gems_01 wrote:
The bad...
- :edgeworth: losing any iota of cool he had. How all the characters in the game seem obsessed with him and he does that stupid 'Nggg' or 'Urph' shocked face. He's far too serious and his jokes are always bad. Always.

- I agree with someone on here who said that Kay really has no reason to be in this game. I liked that last game she was connected to the main arc whereas in this one she's just there because I guess some crazy s happened a couple weeks ago and now she just wants to hang out with Edgy and Gummy? I still like her I just find her a bit pointless here. Oh and as much as I love Gumshoe, he is so dull in these spinoffs. His rapport with Edgeworth is just grating, nothing humorous in it.

- So preachy. How many times must Edgeworth repeat that he wants to uncover the truth? Or that he is just acting as a defense attorney's assistant, but still a prosecutor. It's not that confusing. And I get that this is a hint to his past since his dad was a badass defense attorney and Edgeworth has definitely strayed from that path. But honestly all that internal dialogue doesn't work so much as a hint or foreshadowing for the next case/s as much as it did bore me with any remote interest I might have had with Edgeworth possibly changing sides, as he sort of did for Wright in T&T.

- Justine Courtney. I don't hate her, her hammer thing is pretty badass and she has a cool character design. But seriously? What is a judge doing on a crime scene? Why did she already consider Simon or that journalist girl guilty before their trials? She was far too much like a prosecutor or maybe a detective, but a judge? Not so much.

- Case 2 was so over the top in length that I actually turned the sound off in the end part 2 and started listening to an audiobook while playing. Kinda makes me think the other cases are going to be on par with AAI case 5.

BUT it is a spinoff so I guess all that is to be expected. Roll on Oct 24. I'm sure I'll preferred Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth to this defense attorney assistant version.

I agree with everything you said. You said the words I couldn't find with this post.

Quote:
- :edgeworth: losing any iota of cool he had. How all the characters in the game seem obsessed with him

Sweet mother of mercy this. The game should be called 'Edgeworth and friends', heavens know this would be a far more suitable title.

Quote:

Really? Her entire personality was revealed within minutes and her character developed in the exact same direction I thought it would. She's probably the single most boring character in the entire Ace Attorney franchise. She has ONE good quote about not wanting to hear any spoilers about a film, and that's it.

...And I always found something off about her character designs. Don't her breasts look a bit...I don't know, weird?

From one thing to another, is it just me, or do these guys love overly dramatic bandages and not wearing jackets correctly? I mean, we've got Detecive Badd, Apollo, Debeste and
Spoiler:
Kay
, what's up with that?

Thane wrote:
Quote:

Really? Her entire personality was revealed within minutes and her character developed in the exact same direction I thought it would. She's probably the single most boring character in the entire Ace Attorney franchise. She has ONE good quote about not wanting to hear any spoilers about a film, and that's it.

...And I always found something off about her character designs. Don't her breasts look a bit...I don't know, weird?

Well I don't say I like her. But I think her hair is cool and she looks good in pink. But yeah I do agree, her character is very flat...'cept in the breast area. But this is Ace Attorney where breasts can defy all boundaries of clothing law :mia-maya:
But my problem with her character wasn't in her design or lack of development, just that I didn't really think she made sense as a judge. Her role on the crime scene and all those threats about taking Edgeworth's badge were annoying and largely didn't seem to make sense.

1000% Knight

@gems: Wait until you finish the game~

Bad Player wrote:
@gems: Wait until you finish the game~

Hmm if logic chess were an actual thing I might better understand this statement. But spoilers are bad :godot:

gems_01 wrote:
I agree with someone on here who said that Kay really has no reason to be in this game. I liked that last game she was connected to the main arc whereas in this one she's just there because I guess some crazy s happened a couple weeks ago and now she just wants to hang out with Edgy and Gummy? I still like her I just find her a bit pointless here.

Yup, Trucy has no any reason to be in AJ and DD. The whole story could flow without Trucy, really. Also Maya did nothing in GS1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-3, 3-2, 3-3, we can delete Maya in almost every case, nothing change!(Possibly honey trap disappears?) How useless, meaningless, pointless they are!
More seriously, It's nothing whether if the assistant is linked to the case or not. Assistant is just assistant.

Besides, even in GK1 there was a case that Kay wasn't connected to the plot, it's case 3.
Page 2 of 6 [ 240 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)