Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 4[ 136 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The general impressions/playthrough threadTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Working your way through the game and want to give your thoughts on it? This is the place!

This should be a spoiler-free thread. If you want to discuss something more spoilery in this topic, you must use clearly marked spoiler tags.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: The general impressions/playthrough threadTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

All I want to say is that the menu for changing costumes uses an amazing jazz remix of Apollo's objection theme.

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

1000% Knight

Kokone's "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" face is amazing
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

Now at the final case, so general impressions:

- Very easy, no problems until now
- Quite long too
- The game suffers from too many protagonists actually... It results in shizophrenic POV jumps, and storywise, it can be considered confusing to people who have never played GS
- And Kokone still comes off as a Mary Sue to me
- I like the music
- The (3D) breakdowns are fun, but still nothing that comes close to the first breakdown in Layton vs GS
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

From the stream I've been watching my impressions are:
- The presentation is amazing
- Athena and Bobby both seem like good additions to the cast
- The cases feel too separate. I've seen case 1 2 and 3, and there isn't a clear line of the overarching plot yet.
- Playing as Athena feels like a weird way to make her character shine.
- Not enough Phoenix Wright
- Aside from some parts of case 1 the story really suffers from a lack of tension.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.

linkenski wrote:
Aside from some parts of case 1 the story really suffers from a lack of tension.

I'm going to buy GS5 and play it no matter what, but hearing something like this fills me with trepidation. All this time as we were seeing previews, hearing about gameplay tune-ups and what not, I always thought to myself, "This all sounds wonderful, but none of it will matter if the story is no good."

Without knowing anything about GS5's overall plot, I can say that if the development team did not manage to produce something more engaging and involving than what they came up with for the original GK then I will be...disappointed, to say the least.

Totally not my sig...

shadowofedgeworth wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Aside from some parts of case 1 the story really suffers from a lack of tension.

I'm going to buy GS5 and play it no matter what, but hearing something like this fills me with trepidation. All this time as we were seeing previews, hearing about gameplay tune-ups and what not, I always thought to myself, "This all sounds wonderful, but none of it will matter if the story is no good."

Without knowing anything about GS5's overall plot, I can say that if the development team did not manage to produce something more engaging and involving than what they came up with for the original GK then I will be...disappointed, to say the least.

I wouldn't worry too much. The parts people love, others will hate, and visa-versa. I think it will probably feel different to the original games since it's a different team. That being said, I hope it'll be really good. :shoe:

Derper

shadowofedgeworth wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Don't worry, that's subjective.
That impression is from watching a livestream, not playing the game.

I sure think the things that happen in Case 3 are pretty tense based on the same livestream, but that's just me.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

The Chords of Steel

You know.. No one can be a better judge than yourself. If we go by with the opinions of people who actually PLAYED the game then we couldn't make the right judgment.

I love the series and while i admit that there are entries that are better than others i would definitely never say that i wouldn't buy the game just because some people didn't like the fact that Maya didn't appear properly or Apollo has more cases than Phoenix or whatever.

The cases lack tension? Based on what? It's better if you play the game by yourself and then decide if what they said was spot on or not.

One thing is for sure and that is that is impossible to please the fandom 100%. It's human nature and they will ALWAYS find something to bitch about. No matter what.

Charlieboy90 wrote:
You know.. No one can be a better judge than yourself. If we go by with the opinions of people who actually PLAYED the game then we couldn't make the right judgment.

I love the series and while i admit that there are entries that are better than others i would definitely never say that i wouldn't buy the game just because some people didn't like the fact that Maya didn't appear properly or Apollo has more cases than Phoenix or whatever.

The cases lack tension? Based on what? It's better if you play the game by yourself and then decide if what they said was spot on or not.

One thing is for sure and that is that is impossible to please the fandom 100%. It's human nature and they will ALWAYS find something to bitch about. No matter what.

I quite agree. Though I'm sure there will be things we won't like, I think I'd love an AA game no matter what it was. I wanted Phoenix to be the protagonist, but had it been completely Apollo, I'd still have enjoyed it very much.

Anyway, no matter what the flaws may be, I'm looking forward to it. :will:

If people are basing their opinions on a livestream that hasn't even finished case 3 yet, chances are their feelings will change.

迷探偵

Okay, so I just cleared the game....

Overall impressions (in non-logical order):
- My clear time: precisely 18 hours (in one single session... Did put it on standby and all of course, but never shut the game down until now... =_=)
- Definitely a GK team game, with a bigger theme for the whole game
- And they have troubles structuring that theme / overall storyline in a streamlined way
- I did like how they tried to build on the problems raised in GS4
- Kokone is a Mary Sue, from beginning until the end
- The second and third case I liked the best personally
- Great music overall
- Animation was pretty much useless...
- Super easy
- 'Cameo's/recurring characters are handled badly (not as in personality, but as in tying them up to the plot)
- Odoroki/Apollo's role is awesome in this story. They should have done this to him in GS4
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
Okay, so I just cleared the game....

Overall impressions (in non-logical order):
- My clear time: precisely 18 hours (in one single session... Did put it on standby and all of course, but never shut the game down until now... =_=)
- Definitely a GK team game, with a bigger theme for the whole game
- And they have troubles structuring that theme / overall storyline in a streamlined way
- I did like how they tried to build on the problems raised in GS4
- Kokone is a Mary Sue, from beginning until the end
- The second and third case I liked the best personally
- Great music overall
- Animation was pretty much useless...
- Super easy
- 'Cameo's/recurring characters are handled badly (not as in personality, but as in tying them up to the plot)
- Odoroki/Apollo's role is awesome in this story. They should have done this to him in GS4

I really don't get why you think Kokone is a Mary Sue. I mean, she's not too different from Nick, all things considered. Sure, I was bummed that
Spoiler:
she wasn't the villain
, but that doesn't make her a Mary Sue.

If you're done, may I ask how you think the game holds up to its predecessors?

迷探偵

Edit; >> About the Mary Sue thing. Have you completed the game?

Spoiler:
The way she's involved with the cases is insane! The only case she was not personally involved in was the second, and even then it served as her formal introduction! Her psychology, while handy, is praised constantly, and of course of vital use in the last case. She's constant taking the lead in cases. Heck, even her personal belongings turn out to be of upmost importance =_= Heck, she even gets black Psyche Locks. Seriously, she is just... so present in the game. I think that plot-wise, it would have been much better if that attention would have been spent between Phoenix and Apollo

Quote:

Hmmm, I still have to organize my thoughts about it. It's strong thematically, but the execution is a bit strange at times. Middle part was great, didn't like the latter part as much. I might want to replay in a couple of weeks to see how it turns out then.

Ash wrote:
Edit; >> About the Mary Sue thing. Have you completed the game?

Spoiler:
The way she's involved with the cases is insane! The only case she was not personally involved in was the second, and even then it served as her formal introduction! Her psychology, while handy, is praised constantly, and of course of vital use in the last case. She's constant taking the lead in cases. Heck, even her personal belongings turn out to be of upmost importance =_= Heck, she even gets black Psyche Locks. Seriously, she is just... so present in the game. I think that plot-wise, it would have been much better if that attention would have been spent between Phoenix and Apollo

Quote:

Hmmm, I still have to organize my thoughts about it. It's strong thematically, but the execution is a bit strange at times. Middle part was great, didn't like the latter part as much. I might want to replay in a couple of weeks to see how it turns out then.

Spoiler: About Mary Sues
That sounds awful - I was afraid this would happen. An 18-year-old cute perky 'assistant' who's both an analytical psychologist and attorney? Bleh.

Alright. I look forward to your more thorough explanation, then!

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
- Super easy

In general, or compared to the other games? (Because outside of 3-4 and a few choice testimonies, the games tend to be pretty easy)

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:
In general, or compared to the other games? (Because outside of 3-4 and a few choice testimonies, the games tend to be pretty easy)

Both, I think? I can't even remember having troubles with any of the testimonies in this game. The task lists do make the investigation phases much more efficient though.

1000% Knight

Investigating with 3D on is :wellington-crazy:

Godot's the Man

Bad Player wrote:
Ash wrote:
- Super easy

What do you mean? Do you mean case 3-4 (As in Turnabout Beginnings)? GS3-GS4? Cases 3-4 in GS5?

A Trustworthy Witness

To those of you who've played the game, I have a couple of questions:

1. What are your favorite animations so far? I've only seen Bolt's Case 1 video before it got taken down, but the animations look incredible. The game looks so much more alive with the 3D models.

2. Who is your favorite/least favorite new character of the game? You don't have to go into spoilers if you want to; I'm just curious as to how the new characters introduce compare with the characters of the previous games.

Thanks for all of the info so far! Despite some disappointments, the game still looks incredible. Can't wait for the English release!

1000% Knight

GyakutenGodot wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Ash wrote:
- Super easy

What do you mean? Do you mean case 3-4 (As in Turnabout Beginnings)?

Yes by 3-4 I mean case 3-4
relevant discussion :keiko:

Also Ban is amazing

Ben Lyon wrote:
To those of you who've played the game, I have a couple of questions:

1. What are your favorite animations so far? I've only seen Bolt's Case 1 video before it got taken down, but the animations look incredible. The game looks so much more alive with the 3D models.

2. Who is your favorite/least favorite new character of the game? You don't have to go into spoilers if you want to; I'm just curious as to how the new characters introduce compare with the characters of the previous games.

Thanks for all of the info so far! Despite some disappointments, the game still looks incredible. Can't wait for the English release!

I'm only in the beginning of case 2, but (as I've pretty much already said xD) my favorite animation is Kokone's "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" face, and my favorite character is Ban (Fulbright?). Don't really have enough to pick a "least favorite" tho.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Everyone grows on Ban after a while. He's just got that extra oomph to everything he says. Let's how'd it go? Ah yes.

JUSTICE!

We need a emoti-shout for this and "Got it!" pronto.

Actually, I'm playing through the cases rather slowly and eating up all the emotions. FULL MATTA! basically. Though I have considered messing around and presenting the attorney's badge in court, I think I'll save that for a later case. Then again, I could always return to a past case and present it then.

I eat popculture references like candy... if I can find them.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Okay, so I wrote a review on Gyakuten Saiban 5, so if you want to read a bit about it, douzo.

One note though: on my blog, I write mainly about detective fiction, so I mostly discuss Gyakuten Saiban 5 as such (i.e. how it works as detective game). It's not written as a 'normal' game review, nor do I look at how 'it holds up to the rest of the series' in terms of characters/plot et cetera.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I just read your review. Informative and thoughtful as always. I enjoy that you praise things when you see them done right and call it out on the fallacies while enjoying the games but not getting over involved. The comparisons to games I haven't played or heard of fascinated me. It makes me disappointed I'm not bilingual.

Considering this was done by the GK team, I think it might be more fair to compare it to the GK games then Takumi's GS1-GS4. From that perspective, do you feel they improved/learned lessons, or?
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

I play videogames.

I have to say, the fact that you can't search every area is quite a big blow... I'm pretty disappointed with this...
Image Image Image

迷探偵

Wooster wrote:
I just read your review. Informative and thoughtful as always. I enjoy that you praise things when you see them done right and call it out on the fallacies while enjoying the games but not getting over involved. The comparisons to games I haven't played or heard of fascinated me. It makes me disappointed I'm not bilingual.

Considering this was done by the GK team, I think it might be more fair to compare it to the GK games then Takumi's GS1-GS4. From that perspective, do you feel they improved/learned lessons, or?

Thanks for reading! And regarding seeing GS5 compared to GK... GK/GK2/GS5 all try to present a larger story and at times, the individual cases suffer a bit from it. It's nothing really serious, most of the time, but sometimes the way the cases are presented to player (order / the way the case is connected to the main storyline) is a bit strange. W/o going into any details: the second-to-last case is weird. But like I mention in my review, GS5-3 is an example of how to do it good, and that is certainly something I think was better than the GK series

1000% Knight

SeanHK wrote:
I have to say, the fact that you can't search every area is quite a big blow... I'm pretty disappointed with this...

I was about to say the same thing :sadshoe:

Ash wrote:
Wooster wrote:

Thanks for reading! And regarding seeing GS5 compared to GK... GK/GK2/GS5 all try to present a larger story and at times, the individual cases suffer a bit from it. It's nothing really serious, most of the time, but sometimes the way the cases are presented to player (order / the way the case is connected to the main storyline) is a bit strange. W/o going into any details: the second-to-last case is weird. But like I mention in my review, GS5-3 is an example of how to do it good, and that is certainly something I think was better than the GK series

I haven't finished GS5 yet (or even case 2 xD) but I think GK2 does the overarching plot perfectly--there's always some 'superficial' element that ties the current case to a previous one, so it feels like there's a certain 'flow' while playing through the game, and then you find out that the cases were all deeply entwined in the big reveal at the end. AAI was also pretty good about this. However, 5-2 doesn't seem to have any connections to 5-1 at all, which just makes it feel kind of... disjointed. (Think JFA, or the middle episodes of T&T.)

Then again, the GK games had their plots into a week or two, so I suppose it was easier to tie those cases together.

I play videogames.

Bad Player wrote:

There's so much I wanted to examine too... Pretty much every area in Case 2 and the hallway in Case 3 look fascinating... I also don't mind having to move everywhere myself, so I was a little disappointed with the way you pretty much get taken everywhere... I just finished Case 3 and I can't see how anyone would need the investigation note-thing, unless they had resumed playing after a long break from the game. I think in general, this game was made to cater to series newcomers a little too much.

Bad Player wrote:
I haven't finished GS5 yet (or even case 2 xD) but I think GK2 does the overarching plot perfectly--there's always some 'superficial' element that ties the current case to a previous one, so it feels like there's a certain 'flow' while playing through the game, and then you find out that the cases were all deeply entwined in the big reveal at the end. AAI was also pretty good about this. However, 5-2 doesn't seem to have any connections to 5-1 at all, which just makes it feel kind of... disjointed. (Think JFA, or the middle episodes of T&T.)

Then again, the GK games had their plots into a week or two, so I suppose it was easier to tie those cases together.

I feel the same way. When I played GK2 and got to points in C5, I got this huge rush whenever I realized why something in a previous case happened the way it did. I'd say to myself "Woah... that's why ______..!"

I don't mind isolated cases, but I like the thrill of making the connections while playing a lot more. : P
Image Image Image

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:

Thing is, in the GK games, the cases are very much interconnected, making it 1) hard to see one case seperate from another and 2) it's too obvious it's all part of one story (event X leads to event Y, Y to Z etc). GS5-3 for example is, in my opinion, a good way of showing the theme of the game, without having to be strongly connected to other events. Oh, and 5-2 is a bit disconnected, but there is great meta-hint there for the later half of the game (you'll probably only notice it when you get there, and even I think most people will miss it).

Nick + Maya = win

I've been watching Madoushi's playthrough of this game, and can't wait to try out case 5. But from today's stream the case was mindblowing. I know I wrote an entry in my blog http://tinyurl.com/n4galn7 about how irritated I was at
Spoiler:
Maya didn't appear in-game as more than a flashback/letter combo among other things.

but
Spoiler:
Pearls being Phoenix's assistant during the investigation
and
Spoiler:
Miles Edgeworth returning to help investigate
is causing me to rethink buying this game when it comes out in English.

:enguard: here's hoping that the ending is just as intense as the other trials have been.

Ash wrote:
Okay, so I wrote a review on Gyakuten Saiban 5, so if you want to read a bit about it, douzo.

Is this a spoiler-free review? Sorry, I am just being careful here.

1000% Knight

Lusankya wrote:
Ash wrote:

Is this a spoiler-free review? Sorry, I am just being careful here.

It's not totally spoiler-free; he gives the basic setting for most of the cases, iirc.

Achtung,baby~!

Bad Player wrote:

Of course each case in AAI was connected to the other,considering case 2,3 and 4 take place BEFORE case 1.
Obviously we wouldn't have flashbacks if they weren't connected to the plot,so there were no surprises there:\
In fact,I hated this in AAI.
The order of the cases felt like a pathetic attempt at creating tension,which did not work imo.
If you ask me,AA3 did it the right way.

Hopefully this time it will be done better~

Also,for those of you who've finished the game/near the end - Could you tell us please where would you rank this game among the others?

I agree with you Jonathan. It felt like the writer tried to distract us from the fact that the plot was boring or something, by making half the cases flashbacks.

I've seen most of this game now, and it seems it's better. It still has the same case structure, but luckily case 4 doesn't go even longer back in the chronology like it did in AAI. Case 4 is half of the last flashback and half the trial that happens after case 1, and case 5 doesn't seem quite as boring. This is more about characters and their backstories than countries and smuggling like in AAI.

It still feels a little weak in comparison to AA1 but some might think it's even better. You just have to accept that the style is different in this game.

Now I wasn't the one playing the game, I've been watching an entire live-stream of the full game, seen every case and so on, so I can't say much about the difficulty or the mechanics in this game. I have seen some people on the japanese Amazon rate this game with 3-stars however and most are saying that the big reason is that you can only examine the areas that are relevant during investigation. This resulted in a lack of freedom and it made it too easy to know where to find what.

I think, for me and story-wise the order would be:
AA1>AA2>AA3>>AA5>AJ>>>>AAI, with emphasis on the "better than AAI", because I found that game to be way too boring and unfunny.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Personally, as a fan of science fiction, temporal paradoxes are my favorite. By extension, it's hard for me to comprehend how something as simple as nonlinear story telling could be a turn off for anyone. There's a lot of cool things you can do with that format.

For instance,

Spoiler: "GK1-3"
Seeing Buddy Faith walk off the screen at the end of the case, and KNOWING what will happen to him I found to be a lot more gut wrenching then if it were to be told linearly. I wouldn't know or care who Faith was.

Spoiler: "Mostly GK1-4"
In the third case, you're introduced to Shih-na. This presets your head with preconceptions of the character. You're introduced to Calisto Yew in the next case. And then in the final case you're back with Shih-na and then learn the two were the one in the same.

Say they told that segment of the story linearly. I don't know about you, but the moment Yew ran off and wasn't arrested I'd start screening the cast for her. With Shih-na pre-established as is, she's organically woven into the cast and you don't have the fresh 'a ha I suspect you' mentality. Not that the Yew alter-ego was obvious but the shock would've been a bit less. That's also ignoring the meta issue that case 4 was just too good to be used as a warm-up.

GS3 on the other hand, the flashback cases didn't especially appeal to me. I didn't dislike them. But I didn't find special favor with them either. They were just so segregated from Phoenix's arch. It was filled with background info on Delilah that had no direct impact on the 'current' cases. (That may be ultimately Mia's fault. She did absolutely nothing of value when possessing her relatives. But my point stands)

Then there's GS2, who was only non-linear because Maya had to get into the first case. That was too meta for me to properly enjoy.

It didn't strike me as being bad in AAI when I played it either. It's the overall plot more than anything that I didn't like in that game. I'm not a big fan of non-linear storytelling in general, though I do see that it can be used in a clever fashion. I just like it when you never have a clue what's going to happen next better.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

See, I dislike linear story telling because you have a clue what's happening next. All your foreshadowing has to be done in advance and it's harder to have misconceptions if you have all the fore-data. It's basically Cause and Effect. When you have all the causes, the effect becomes obvious. On the other hand, consider when GS4 was just pumping out, and we got our first glimpse of Hobohodo. The fandom EXPLOADED. But if the game opened with the flashback trial, all the theories and misconceptions we got to fly around would never have manifested and the hype would've been more rage and apathy. It'd be very dull.

1000% Knight

Man, I think GS5 would've been really awesome if was fully voice acted... It looks like it'd be so much fun xD

Maybe some crazy Japanese fans will get together and do a radio play of it?

Wooster wrote:
See, I dislike linear story telling because you have a clue what's happening next. All your foreshadowing has to be done in advance and it's harder to have misconceptions if you have all the fore-data. It's basically Cause and Effect. When you have all the causes, the effect becomes obvious. On the other hand, consider when GS4 was just pumping out, and we got our first glimpse of Hobohodo. The fandom EXPLOADED. But if the game opened with the flashback trial, all the theories and misconceptions we got to fly around would never have manifested and the hype would've been more rage and apathy. It'd be very dull.

I won't just generalize here and say "Linear story is better than non-linear narrative" or vice versa. Look, we both know there are good and bad ways to use it, and when you look at the exectution of it with AAI it all comes down to our opinion. I'm fine with Turnabout Reminiscence being a flashback case because it's a lot of years before everything else, and likewise with AJ and the second half of case 4. It was done really well, I agree, but cases 2 and 3 for example, in AAI are practically filler cases. You get some foreshadowing and little information on what's next and the "ooh, look that's Buddy Faith there, so he's gonna die after this case!" but really..? was it really necessary for the writer to make case 1 and then go "Let's rewind to when this started" just to show us two events that had almost nothing to do with the main plot. It wasn't very good in 2-1 either because it would've been a bigger surprise if you saw Maya without knowing Phoenix was going to be able to meet her or not.
Page 1 of 4 [ 136 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)