Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 7 of 7[ 271 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Re: Dual Destinies Music DiscussionTopic%20Title

The video game boy; the one who wins

It's strange, because when I first listened to some of the music before watching the game I thought it sounded pretty lame, but now it makes me feel almost nostalgic, just listening to the intro music to case 5 makes me want to rewatch it and whenever I hear Athena's theme and the Mood Matrix I can feel nothing but love for her, regardless my mixed feelings for her otherwise. So basically, the music really elevated the game. And the new versions of AJ-music kind of makes me sentimental. xD
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Can I hear an "Objection!"?

The music has always elevated the game for; I mean, what would be a turnabout without the epic music? I think they did a great job with the Dual Destinies trial theme, cross-examinations, and pursuit theme. I also enjoyed Florent L'Belle's theme, the 'Noisy People' theme, and Bobby Fulbright's theme.

Not to mention Athena's music and the Mood Matrix themes are brilliant.
Mr. Edgeworth, do you realize if we played by the rules, we'd be in court right now?

(My father spent three years restoring this car...)

A Seeker of Truth

Ace Attorney music has always been an interesting thing; there are plenty of themes that if you listen to before playing the game that, while they may sound good, don't always seem remarkable. However, when playing the game they really suit whatever scene they occur in and really make the game SO much more enjoyable. Then upon revisiting said music afterwards, everything that was 'good' before seems especially brilliant then; partially as a result of being forced to listen to the entire thing in-game, and partially as a result of nostalgia. But maybe that's just em :phoenix:

Anyways, yeah; the Dual Destinies soundtrack ROCKS! All the court themes -though particularly the Objection themes- were epic and evocative, the character themes were undeniably catchy, and the themes highlighting new elements in the game -the Mood Matrix and Revizualization themes- were a welcome addition to the series :phoenix: I can't really mention anything in particular that hasn't been covered, so all I can say is that it was an amazing musical experience :apollo:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Last edited by GentlemanGamer on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gentleman, it's not just you, and I thought that particularly with the DD-soundtrack, that it sounded quite bland before experiencing the game, but while and after I thought "What was I thinking, this is awesome!" :trucy: (On the other hand, I hadn't listened to the soundtracks of the other games before playing them, aside from AJ's Objection and Pursuit themes, which I listened to over and over several days before buying the game. On the other hand, they as well are even better after having experienced them in-game.)

A Seeker of Truth

GoingforMiles wrote:
Gentleman, it's not just you, and I thought that particularly with the DD-soundtrack, that it sounded quite bland before experiencing the game, but while and after I thought "What was I thinking, this is awesome!" :trucy: (On the other hand, I hadn't listened to the soundtracks of the other games before playing them, aside from AJ's Objection and Pursuit themes, which I listened to over and over several days before buying the game. On the other hand, they as well are even better after having experienced them in-game.)

Woot, I'm not crazy! :edgey: Moving on though, I think that this developed appreciation is something that is really the case with most video game music; there will be some standout tracks in any album that can be thoroughly enjoyed apart from the game, but for the most part, most songs require you to play the game and listen to it multiple times before you can really start to appreciate them. As such, I really only have the soundtracks to games I've actually played on my iPod, as I find it to get difficult into that I have not played; for example I have not played most of the Final Fantasy series, and despite the soundtracks to these games being 'legendary', I have not been able to get into many of them as a result of my lack of nostalgia.

On a side note, I felt the same about the AJ soundtrack; I tried listening to it before playing the games, and the only 4 stand out themes for me was the Objection and Pursuit themes, Trucy's theme, as well as Klavier's. Everything else was kind of forgettable until I actually played the game :ron:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

We're all mad here. ;) But yeah, I guess so, for example - how exciting would the old Super Mario Bros. soundtrack be to someone who'd never played or heard about the game? Both nostalgia and context definitely play their parts. Even more so, I'd guess at least, with games which you are more emotionally investigated in so to speak. Like Ace Attorney :edgey:

Y'know

Well, definitely the biggest example of that was CE ~ Allegro 2013. At first everyone thought it sounds disappointing and then it just fit so well.

Oh, I loved that one, but I can't remember my thoughts of it before the game was released.

A Seeker of Truth

Nearavex wrote:
Well, definitely the biggest example of that was CE ~ Allegro 2013. At first everyone thought it sounds disappointing and then it just fit so well.

Agreed :phoenix: First time I listened to it, I thought it didn't QUITE measure up to the Pursuit themes before it. After playing the game though, all I need to do is hear the opening notes for the adrenaline to start pumping :phoenix:

Danielinhoni wrote:
If there is one big disappointment for me in this soundtrack, it's how Iwadare failed in the execution of the transitioning back to the beginning of the song in most of his tracks. It felt excessively forced sometimes. For example in the Pursuit theme. I mean if you don't know how to handle switching between keys, then just don't -_-

Can someone clarify on this point for me? Like, explain it to me like I'm five. I'm not that smart so I don't get it, especially the last part. The Pursuit transition sounded fine to me :ron:

I'm also surprised so many people like the aquarium theme. It was very forgettable to me

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:
Danielinhoni wrote:
If there is one big disappointment for me in this soundtrack, it's how Iwadare failed in the execution of the transitioning back to the beginning of the song in most of his tracks. It felt excessively forced sometimes. For example in the Pursuit theme. I mean if you don't know how to handle switching between keys, then just don't -_-

Can someone clarify on this point for me? Like, explain it to me like I'm five. I'm not that smart so I don't get it, especially the last part. The Pursuit transition sounded fine to me :ron:

I'm also surprised so many people like the aquarium theme. It was very forgettable to me

I dunno what his problem is. Certainly, some themes do jump rather quickly back to the beginning of the piece - most notably, Apollo's objection theme - but the transitions themselves are fluid. The transitions shouldn't be extended for too long anyway; it'd take away from the melody.

Also, a musical key determines the tone of the piece of music; if it sounds higher or lower in pitch overall. It can also give a certain mood depending on whether it's in a major or minor key.

Besides, none of these tracks change key in the first place. It's pretty obvious if there's a key change.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Seeker of Truth

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I dunno what his problem is. Certainly, some themes do jump rather quickly back to the beginning of the piece - most notably, Apollo's objection theme - but the transitions themselves are fluid. The transitions shouldn't be extended for too long anyway; it'd take away from the melody.

Also, a musical key determines the tone of the piece of music; if it sounds higher or lower in pitch overall. It can also give a certain mood depending on whether it's in a major or minor key.

Besides, none of these tracks change key in the first place. It's pretty obvious if there's a key change.

Agreed :trucy: I didn't have a problem with any of the transitions myself; my guess is that he just probably felt that the quick change from the end to the beginning felt a bit jarring in some tracks which I can understand, even if I don't necessairly share the same opinion :ron:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Re-listening to this soundtrack, I still think it's a bit weak on consistency in terms of vibe which was also my initial impression, and it also lacks some more "iconic-ness" with some of the new themes IMO... but overall I think it has a really nice sound to it to be honest for the most part. I'm still not big on the guitars or the sawtooth synths; I still think Psyche-Lock 2013 is a butchered remix of the original because of the instrumentation...

...but somehow the OST has still grown on me. And you have to listen to this one while you're trying to concentrate on something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb_lh6ti1A
It sounds kinda slick and IMO it just really fits the whole "detective" mood of the investigations in the latter part of the game, when the plot thickens.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Athena's character theme sounds very similar to Missile's to me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ep6aD7AQM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWd3JA6cpY0

Oh help. It does.

Y'know

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Nearavex wrote:

Agreed :phoenix: First time I listened to it, I thought it didn't QUITE measure up to the Pursuit themes before it. After playing the game though, all I need to do is hear the opening notes for the adrenaline to start pumping :phoenix:

I think you got your soundtracks messed up, buddy. I said "CE ~ Allegro" quite clearly, not "Pursuit"

So...is it me or does the Pursuit theme sound like a partial remix of T&T's? (Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

It's more obvious in the variations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVKvU2qROP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLmGJ1sdNPI

Y'know

They might be similar, but I'm not sure I'm able to hear a "remix" in it.

Yeah, I think it's only a partial remix. It's not a full out remix like Objection!~2013. It's still a unique theme in its own right

After much deliberation, I decided that the best theme from this game is "I'm Fine!" Sure, it fits Apollo's character, but it's more than that. It is Apollo. If I played Ace Attorney without music and then heard the tracks, this is the only theme where I'd absolutely know who it belonged to (well, maybe Pearl, but that doesn't count). It's kind of melancholic but it also sounds a little hopeful and I think it does reflect well on where Apollo's mind is in the game. It's a great theme

"Eggs?"

My altogether favorite theme would have to be Blackquill's Theme. It fits him so well, considering he's a samurai and all, and I just love the way it sounds. I could listen to it for hours. But, just one thing I noticed at one point in the game where they may have messed up the soundtrack...
Spoiler:
You know the part where Athena and Phoenix find Prof. Courte's body, and then Apollo comes along? Well, the sentence where he says, "I'm shocked because it's the same! Exactly the same!" (referring to how the body was placed) it starts playing one of the most upbeat songs in the entire game. This just seemed a little out of place, especially because you're looking at a dead body with the happiest freaking song in the world playing in the background.

I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

It's because the Core theme doesn't fit. Replace that music with Core 2001 and the scene works

Yeah, like what the heck is wrong with the core theme in this game? I mean, I like listening to it outside the context of the game because it has a slick baseline and I love the fade-in intro, but it just doesn't have the proper tension or grittyness a core theme SHOULD have.

"Eggs?"

JesusMonroe wrote:
It's because the Core theme doesn't fit. Replace that music with Core 2001 and the scene works

That's what I thought... The foolish fools who foolishly chose a foolish Core Theme... :franny:

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:

I agree that the core theme is really nice outside of the game, but it's just too up-beat and straightforward and carries no suspense whatsoever. I mean, they are to appear when the character's either get to know something or find something that turns everything they know on its head, so it should have that "oh damn"/"shit will go down"-feeling. Which this doesn't. I'm a big fan of the core themes in general, and listening to them all together it's clear what they're all about, except this which feels very out of place.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

TheBlackquillz wrote:
My altogether favorite theme would have to be Blackquill's Theme. It fits him so well, considering he's a samurai and all, and I just love the way it sounds. I could listen to it for hours. But, just one thing I noticed at one point in the game where they may have messed up the soundtrack...
Spoiler:
You know the part where Athena and Phoenix find Prof. Courte's body, and then Apollo comes along? Well, the sentence where he says, "I'm shocked because it's the same! Exactly the same!" (referring to how the body was placed) it starts playing one of the most upbeat songs in the entire game. This just seemed a little out of place, especially because you're looking at a dead body with the happiest freaking song in the world playing in the background.

You want out of place?
Spoiler:
When you open the illustration's menu, the first thing you see is Arme's dead body to the music of Athena's "Let's Do This!" theme.

The Dual Destinies OST is my favourite of any Ace Attorney. I really like how they orchestrated all of the classic themes from their original Game Boy/DS sounds. For example, I didn't care much for Apollo's theme in AJ but in DD, I was blown away. Likewise, the remix and orchestration of the T&T objection theme and Edgeworth's revival from JFA are also well done.

Some of my favourites:
Spoiler:
Athena's, Apollo's, Phoenix's objection themes
Pearl's theme
Athena's reminiscence theme (Tragic/Sad Memories)
Turnabout Reclaimed reminiscence theme (Departure from Regret)
The courtroom theme
The credits theme
Themis Legal Academy
Announce the Truth

GoingforMiles wrote:
I agree that the core theme is really nice outside of the game, but it's just too up-beat and straightforward and carries no suspense whatsoever. I mean, they are to appear when the character's either get to know something or find something that turns everything they know on its head, so it should have that "oh damn"/"shit will go down"-feeling. Which this doesn't. I'm a big fan of the core themes in general, and listening to them all together it's clear what they're all about, except this which feels very out of place.

I think Capcom did consider that though, because they ended up using core 2013 differently than how Core was used in previous games. It happens a few times during court, but mostly it always happens right at the end of each investigation, when the characters go "That's it for today, we have all we need for court tommorrow!". I think it builds a very spunk kind of tension. It gives more of a sense of "it's now or never" than it gives off the usual shocking reveal vibe the other ones had.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Phoenix's objection theme is a remix of T&T, paying tribute to Mia, because Phoenix is the boss now. Fridge brilliance.

"Eggs?"

GoingforMiles wrote:

I noticed that, while listening to the different core themes from 2001 to 2013, that they steadily lose that (as you say) "oh damn" feel. The core themes for the Gyakuten Kenji's (BOTH) are really upbeat and that when you really notice the loss of the suspense. I think the core theme that changed it was Apollo's core; so many people liked it, and it was upbeat and it gave that "shit will go down" feeling, so GK thought "Hey, let's make it EVEN MORE upbeat!" and then... we got Core 2013. Or maybe that's an entirely wrong premise, I dunno.

:simon:

MBr wrote:
Phoenix's objection theme is a remix of T&T, paying tribute to Mia, because Phoenix is the boss now. Fridge brilliance.

I think the explanation is rather that Iwadare wanted to bring back the Objection theme HE made for the original trilogy :-P

The music in dual destinies fits the game perfectly and my favorite themes are Phoenix's Objection theme and Athena's courtroom theme
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do
Page 7 of 7 [ 271 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)