Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 22 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

In point, he is the only character in the whole case who literally puts his foot down (on the stand) and yells at you about doing a crappy job as a lawyer. And he's right about it.

I must say, he'd be a great character to show alongside for a sporking should the chance ever come.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

He's an oresama. So of course he's great.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

The video game boy; the one who wins

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
In point, he is the only character in the whole case who literally puts his foot down (on the stand) and yells at you about doing a crappy job as a lawyer. And he's right about it.

This. And he's funny. And hot. And hangs around with penguins. And is overall awesome. And I usually have a soft spot for grumpy characters.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Going for Miles wrote:

This. And he's funny. And hot. And hangs around with penguins. And is overall awesome. And I usually have a soft spot for grumpy characters.

I can't remember when and why he tells you're
doing a crappy job as a lawyer

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

If I recall correctly ,it was when...
Spoiler:
You accuse him of trying to kill Orla.

And yeah, Dr. Crab is the best character in the case.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

By any chance there's a future game that features Phoenix Wright abroad in a completely different legal system, that's the best place to bring the point back up. I would be psyched (harhar, pun) to know about such a game, but I doubt it'd be something so close to our present.

I know this is off-topic, but I was rereading the first couple pages of the topic and I discovered that someone predicted the future!
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

I think you should spoiler-tag that.

By any chance there's a future game that features Phoenix Wright abroad in a completely different legal system, that's the best place to bring the point back up. I would be psyched (harhar, pun) to know about such a game, but I doubt it'd be something so close to our present.

You predict the future! :udgey:

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

luck wrote:
Spoiler:

I loved his design and that little penguin in his hair, but I think Marlon was a more interesting character.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

linkenski wrote:
luck wrote:
Spoiler:

I loved his design and that little penguin in his hair, but I think Marlon was a more interesting character.

That's probably true from a story standpoint, but I found him pretty boring before the big reveal (like every Yamazaki villain ever).

Great Revival

DD brought us the best character in AA....Sniper. :yogi:

~Die-Hard Gavinners Fan~

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Quite fun. :shoe: Dr. Crab. I really liked Sasha. Simon being cute about birds. Dr. Crab. Athena and Sasha having cute interactions. Pearl being adorable. Dr. Crab. Fulbright being a sweet dork and incredibly creepy. A cute song. Shame that Apollo was left behind. Dr. Crab.

This so much. While that case needed a heavy dose of Pollo injections, Dr. Herman Crab made that case for me all the more awesome! Seriously, why is he such a great character!~ I always adore characters like him, and he just was so much yes. He's so cuuuuute, and such a grump, yet, he's a responsible vet and I love every facet of him!
Rhythm Heaven+Ace Attorney. Uncle Ray and Klavier Gavin need to be in court together. <3

A Kirby and AA fan

I think the fact that Apollo was left behind gave us a great line, though. It's the stock answer when you show Apollo evidence, and I believe it went something like this.

Phoenix: Here. What do you think of this, Apollo?
Apollo: ! Does this mean you're letting me join the investigation?
Phoenix: No, sorry.
Apollo: Then you don't want to know what I think

Objectively, it's probably not even that great of a line. I don't know why, but it just caught me off guard and thought it was very clever

I got that one too in a recent replay I did. Eh, I thought it was strange of him to say, when it's not Nick who's keeping him out in the first place.

A Kirby and AA fan

linkenski wrote:
I got that one too in a recent replay I did. Eh, I thought it was strange of him to say, when it's not Nick who's keeping him out in the first place.

Are you sure? I thought Phoenix kinda did. At the beginning, I think there was a conversation where basically Phoenix said he'll take Athena with him and not Apollo. (Maybe even saying that Apollo then has to clean the toilet? Sounds like something he'd say.) I do still think Phoenix is their boss, so if Phoenix says he takes Athena and not Apollo, the two of them will listen and 'obey'.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think this has been said before, but one thing that very rarely comes up in the cases in the motive. In cases 1-3, we learn about the killer's motive after the breakdown. And in the final case, we learn about the motive in court from Blackquill. Turnabout Reclaimed gives us hints to the motive, but this is pretty weak compared to other cases from other games. It's usually in the final investigation that we're able to get a clue as to the true motive of the crime, as well as who the true criminal is. Dual Destinies doesn't do this, instead relying on cliche drama to build the intrigue.

Call me James

Slammer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1TScQwu6g

Now I can't get this scene out of my head. Goddammit.
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Slammer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1TScQwu6g

Now I can't get this scene out of my head. Goddammit.

THIS! Yeah, definitely this.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

People are finally respecting my esper powers by linking people to TFS videos. Hurrah.
Now that I look back at the context of that future-predicting post, the only situation I could consider Athena and Trucy working together is if neither of them went abroad with Nick and Apollo. After all, someone's gotta stay home and watch the firm, and they can't just leave Trucy there to mind everything. Also, by the trailer, it seems to suggest that Nick and Apollo are working on their cases independently (or, at least temporarily until the cases somehow intertwine because it's Yamazaki who's writing the scenario). I don't think Athena will be of much help whether she takes a case on her own or is just loitering around with either of them.

In this case, the only way we'd be able to see Athena or Trucy is via a DLC episode (as DD had done) where the game jumps back home to check up on them, and they end up in some sort of shenanigans at the office. Hey, they could even have a case, and since both the senior lawyers are out, it'll be up to them. Heck, throw in some other cameos and we have another fanservice case! Yay.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

People are finally respecting my esper powers by linking people to TFS videos. Hurrah.
Now that I look back at the context of that future-predicting post, the only situation I could consider Athena and Trucy working together is if neither of them went abroad with Nick and Apollo. After all, someone's gotta stay home and watch the firm, and they can't just leave Trucy there to mind everything. Also, by the trailer, it seems to suggest that Nick and Apollo are working on their cases independently (or, at least temporarily until the cases somehow intertwine because it's Yamazaki who's writing the scenario). I don't think Athena will be of much help whether she takes a case on her own or is just loitering around with either of them.

In this case, the only way we'd be able to see Athena or Trucy is via a DLC episode (as DD had done) where the game jumps back home to check up on them, and they end up in some sort of shenanigans at the office. Hey, they could even have a case, and since both the senior lawyers are out, it'll be up to them. Heck, throw in some other cameos and we have another fanservice case! Yay.

Actually, I think they're both going to appear in the game, if only to stay in the hotel for random chit-chat during investigations. I got a feeling all the Agency is going abroad. Heck, I bet they'll even take Charley with them.

Dual Destinies as it first appeared seemed to be a return to form of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, but then more and more media-reveals reintroduced Apollo Justice elements and I'm getting the same feeling that at first AA6 will look very different, but then more and more like a followup to DD when more is revealed.

I don't much care for Athena, but I'm almost sure she'll be back in some way.

I hope they give her a fleshed out role in a DLC case rather than just a cameo like Pearl in 5-5 or something though. I hope they can keep down the redundant character appearances for the sake of fanservice this time.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I'd love them to do a DLC case again for GS6, although I'd prefer them to do it like 1-5 where it takes place after the game rather than like the DLC case of DD. Maybe it was a little rediculous to wait and play DD until after the DLC case came out, but I'm glad I did because it would have felt weird to have everything wrapped up in 5 then to go back to the DLC. Also Pearl's appearance in 5-5 felt less out of place after playing the DLC because it felt more like, say, Lotta coming back in 2-2 then 2-4.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

And while it can be a funny case, I hope it will be a more ordinary case next time. I don't really like the orca stuff in 5-S.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Revising my opinions for this game that I had never played myself until now and hadn't been close to since 2013 when I watched a playthrough.
I'm not really a hugh fan of the more cartoonish and anime-esque feeling of the storytelling and visual style, especially with the cutscenes... can't stand those cutscenes. I refuse to see them as canon, but rather some hammed-up and overdramatized re-telling of how it actually went down. It also suffers from some clumsy writing.
Other than that, I think my biggest problem with Dual Destinies is that they tried to do everything at once, and as a result it's all over the place but only halfways there. I get that they want a new beginning - it's a new console that calls for a new visual style, 3D and animations rather than sprites. So we have a brand new story, a new protagonist, prosecutor and detective. Problem is, we just recently (in terms of the main titles) had a new beginning with Apollo and the cast that followed. So he's involved as well, leaving his character in an odd position fluctuating between important and pushed aside, focusing mainly on Athena and Simon. And while large chunks of AJ is dismissed, people like Trucy and Klavier can't be, so Trucy ends up being put in a flanderized corner and Klavier in a mock mock trial. But not only that, we also bring back Phoenix as a prtagonist and playable lawyer, starting his story anew and calling for some familiar faces to be dragged all the way from the trlogy-era. Which turns into a peculiar situation where three kinds of "eras" in a sense, each represented by a playable character, end up co-existing, but not on equal terms seeing as Athena & co. end up being the main focus for the most part (while still leaving her behind in terms of character development and moreso development as a lawyer), leaving the others more or less in the shadow and bloating the cast. Long story short, it gets confusing. If you have a string and you try pulling both ends at the same time, the thread won't move in any direction. And that's kinda what happened here. (Following that analogy, SoJ would be a situation where you keep pulling the strings from both end and the string break as a result, but now the halves can go in either direction. Wait, that actually makes sense...)

I actually liked the thing with different cases featuring different lawyers, but I do have a problem with the discrepancy between when you're playing as one of them vs playing as someone else and seeing the same person from the outside. To me it feels like the writers molded the characters after what the plot and/or thirst for drama needed in any given situation without taking the character's personality into account. For instance, 5-3 needs Apollo to guide Athena through her first case, so suddenly he becomes a level-headed mentor as compared to when he was the lead attorney,or later on when he needed to be dark and edgy.

And the too easy, hand-holding gameplay, but that has been touched upon time and time again so I can't say anything abut it that hasn't already been said, and better, by other people.

This doesn't at all mean that I didn't like the game, though, but it's easier to pin-point wht dragged it down for me than saying exactly what I liked about it. I mean, it's a good game. All AA-games are, in my opinion. It was entertaining and engaging to play. I really like the thought route (it would be fun if there was like one or two wrong routes you could follow and come to a wrong conclusion, but it's fine as it is), it is very satisfying and has good music and design. Same goes for Mood Matrix; the music is great and I really like the testimony-illustrations. I can agree with Hugh that it is rather violating of people's privacy to dig into their emotions, throw them out for everyone to see and question them like that, but from a gameplay perspective, it was fun and added a new dimension to testimonies.

The cast is nice, although Athena's role was pretty so-and-so; I found her overused as an assistant and underused as a lawyer/playable character and she enters the game as a newbie and leaves it only slightly less a newbie, compared to Phoenix and Apollo in their respective first games. Love Simon. Really like some one-case-characters too. I can't think of anyone I absolutely couldn't stand, even Phineas Filch got better during the case he was in. Although I did feel that with the options available for lawyer-assistant/aid combinations, it could have been used better to create more variety and different character dynamics. I would have preferred:
5-1: Athena playable through the entire case, with Phoenix coming in as he did but as an aid (and I saw no point in not having Athena as Junie's lawyer from the start since Apollo was gonna faint anyway)
5-2: As it was, or possibly Apollo-Trucy for the first investigation, introduce Athena a little later and have her assisting the second part.
5-3: As it was.
5-4: Apollo alone for the whole case. Which would require the case to look really different, but I think it could be nice. Probably a little darker which would help set it apart from 5-5. And we could get more of his experience with losing his best friend. His suspicions of Athena would have to be stated or at least hinted, but I don't think it would suffer from that.
5-5: As it was.
DLC: Phoenix with Apollo as the assistant. Or all three of them hanging out. Simon was perfect for this case, I think, still a DLC with no ties to the main story feels like a wasted opportunity not to change things up (Klavier...!).

Overall plot was... fine. Not the best AA has had to offer, but I liked it. I only wish we would have been able to see Clay alive as an adult (and how Apollo interacts with non-job-related friends). Having him appear like oh look, little Polly's friend, whoops he died would have been to cruel, but they could have talked about his death in the first case (which was related to the trial of his murder anyway), and then we'd see him in 5-3 because even more power of friendship and it's so bittersweet since we already know his jig is up.
Cliché and cheesy as it was at times (well, a lot), I still get the feeling that the creators felt for the story, and enjoyed making it. It's not the strongest entry in the series, but on its own merits, it's nice. I liked many of the characters and I laughed a lot as well. And felt joy. And sadness. And anger. And maybe a little surprise, too.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Honestly,DD is my least favourite main game NS second least favourite AA game. That doesn't mean it was bad though,but I feel that 5-1,5-2 & 5-3 are all mediocre,so-so cases,and they're about half the game! That only leaves the DLC case (which is optional) and the last two cases (which are pretty much the same case anyway) to help it up. And while those are all good,I feel that it's still rather meh.

The story is rehashed,the characters range from alright to obnoxious,the music was mostly forgettable besides a few choice pieces,the gameplay was so easy that I didn't even need to save at all,and the 3D presentation is generic and bland,and PLvsAA did what this game did but more and better. So that doesn't really leave it with much,sadly. While it's a good game overall,it's not that great an AA game. Still,I'll respect it for bringing back the main series back,even if it was in a half hearted and lacklustre manner.

If I could rewrite DD...

Spoiler:
Case 4 ends with Blackquill being executed. Case 5 doesn't have a defendant but you're trying to clear Blackquill's name to do right by him

It would be such a powerless and heavy moment and would really emphasize that this is the Dark Age of the Law. I definitely would've cried

Might be too edgy but I would've loved it
Page 22 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)