Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 18 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

I loved it from start to finish as a story. The difficulty, though, might have been lower than a Hispanic lowrider in Los Angeles. Compared to the previous titles, it went something like this:

Dual Destinies: Hmm, didn't I have something that can prove that the elephant in the photo isn't the killer?
Spoiler: "Present"
- Evidence description: The elefant isn't the killer.

Apollo Justice: Hmm, how can I prove that the elephant isn't the killer?
- Evidence description: The peanuts were found at 2:00 PM.

Ace Attorney: Hmm, can I do something?
- Evidence description: This badge proves that I'm an attorney.

The video game boy; the one who wins

^So accurate xD
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

Aquabreeze wrote:
I finished AA4 last night, and I downloaded this and started playing it a couple hours ago- so I'm only on the first case. ...And I gotta be honest here, it just doesn't feel the same at all. The dialogue doesn't have any of the same punch. It all feels very cheesy and state-the-obvious-esque, like a bad anime. "I gotta do my best! like no one ever did" and that sort of stuff. And I really wanted to like Athena because I was really excited about a playable female lawyer- you know, one that hasn't spent most of the series being dead- but she is this close to becoming gratingly annoying, and I'm not even done with the tutorial case yet.

You know I felt exactly the same- I was really hoping we'd get a cool, mature female lawyer like Mia or Lana but Athena felt to me as though she was written as the generic AA sparky sidekick a la Maya, Kay, Trucy etc and then slotted in.

Love, love, LOVE the anime cutscenes (though not so crazy about Athena's voice actress) and the Mood Matrix is good fun but I do miss being able to examine random objects at will for hilarious remarks.

But hey they gave Klavier a cameo so I'm pretty happy :rock'n:
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

OBJECTION!

PandaPrinzessin wrote:
Aquabreeze wrote:
I finished AA4 last night, and I downloaded this and started playing it a couple hours ago- so I'm only on the first case. ...And I gotta be honest here, it just doesn't feel the same at all. The dialogue doesn't have any of the same punch. It all feels very cheesy and state-the-obvious-esque, like a bad anime. "I gotta do my best! like no one ever did" and that sort of stuff. And I really wanted to like Athena because I was really excited about a playable female lawyer- you know, one that hasn't spent most of the series being dead- but she is this close to becoming gratingly annoying, and I'm not even done with the tutorial case yet.

You know I felt exactly the same- I was really hoping we'd get a cool, mature female lawyer like Mia or Lana but Athena felt to me as though she was written as the generic AA sparky sidekick a la Maya, Kay, Trucy etc and then slotted in.

Love, love, LOVE the anime cutscenes (though not so crazy about Athena's voice actress) and the Mood Matrix is good fun but I do miss being able to examine random objects at will for hilarious remarks.

But hey they gave Klavier a cameo so I'm pretty happy :rock'n:

BIB: Agree it is a shame random things cant be examined anymore. Her singing voice is better than her speaking voice :)
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Can I just point out that Phoenix's 3D sprites are so attractive @_@

SERIOUSLY LOOK AT HOW PRETTY HE IS

The execution is ready, Your Honor.

I know this may sound unreasonable, but I feel like they need to stop shoving new main characters in our faces. It just forces the old ones to take the backseat, and pretty soon you have a bunch of veteran main characters with only a shell of their former personality ( :trucy: *cough), because development is spent on the new character. ( :athena: *cough *cough) and a whole lot of cameos that pop up out of nowhere, only serving to tease the audience ( :maya: *cough *cough *cough). Can't we just stop leaping forward in the timeline? (C'mon, seven whole years?) Can't we do away with this whole "Dark Age of the Law" business and return to the more charming plots? Do we REALLY need more mysterious and/or young prosecuting/defending geniuses who have never lost a case? ( :edgeworth: :franny: :godot: :karma: :athena: :klavier: :simon: *hack *cough *wheeze)

Stop this madness! Keep the main characters. There are some franchises that do it successfully, so it's possible, right?

Rest in peace, O original roles of these characters: :sad-maya: :wall-bang: :sillytrucy: :pearl: :sadshoe: :edgeworth:
(Funny how :udgey: is the only character to keep his role throughout all five games, huh?)

Other than that, it's pretty good game if I do say so myself. :rock'n:
The execution rests, Your Honor.

Last edited by AceAssistant on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Look at the beta model vs. the final version. I'm glad they went with the cartoony looking models rather than the realistically shaded one on the top.

1000% Knight

Aquabreeze wrote:

Hobonick is still the sexiest incarnation of Phoenix.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:
Aquabreeze wrote:

Do you mean sexiest? Cause you are right if so.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Bad Player wrote:
Aquabreeze wrote:

:/ That's one way of putting him, I guess.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I really, really love the graphics in Dual Destinies. They're perfect for what the 3DS is capable of and if I'm being honest, I prefer the models to the sprites and hope they eventually remake the older games with them. I've played a lot of other games with models and they really don't do it for me (yes, even PLvAA). I wish Takumi would take a page from DD and use this style while Yamazaki looks at PLvAA and tries to be more cinematic with the camera angles

JesusMonroe wrote:
I really, really love the graphics in Dual Destinies. They're perfect for what the 3DS is capable of and if I'm being honest, I prefer the models to the sprites and hope they eventually remake the older games with them. I've played a lot of other games with models and they really don't do it for me (yes, even PLvAA). I wish Takumi would take a page from DD and use this style while Yamazaki looks at PLvAA and tries to be more cinematic with the camera angles

Why not just go all out with the cinematics and make a TV show already, eh? They've shown they're fully capable of producing animation. They can pair the manga's cases with the game's cases, don't you think?

I mean, I don't really watch or read a whole lot of anime (as in, I only watch it if it's written well), but I would TOTALLY binge-watch THAT.

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:

I'd actually really like it if they used camera angles more. While the models in PLvsAA I felt were relatively poor compared to DD's calibre, I felt the use of spacing and camera angles was something new and very interesting to see in that game.

I can't imagine they'll adapt though, DD came out significantly after PLvsAA and it had none of those things so don't see why they'd start now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

T-TYPO? WHAT TYPO?

...POWER ABUSE? I DON'T EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF THAT PHRASE
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Pierre wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

I'd actually really like it if they used camera angles more. While the models in PLvsAA I felt were relatively poor compared to DD's calibre, I felt the use of spacing and camera angles was something new and very interesting to see in that game.

I can't imagine they'll adapt though, DD came out significantly after PLvsAA and it had none of those things so don't see why they'd start now.

I don't see what time between releases has to do with it. If they want to try playing around with those camera angles and, at the same time, work on those cutscenes to be more productive, then GS6 could trump both of them in this regard.

Bad Player wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

T-TYPO? WHAT TYPO?

:hoboleft:
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

A Kirby and AA fan

Bad Player wrote:
T-TYPO? WHAT TYPO?

Dammit man, you had me thoroughly confused for a good 2 minutes.
"What are they talking about? He IS saying 'sexiest'!"

"Eggs?"

AceAssistant wrote:
Why not just go all out with the cinematics and make a TV show already, eh? They've shown they're fully capable of producing animation. They can pair the manga's cases with the game's cases, don't you think?

I mean, I don't really watch or read a whole lot of anime (as in, I only watch it if it's written well), but I would TOTALLY binge-watch THAT.

^This.
Phoenix Wright has ALL the potential for an anime, really!
I need a Professor Layton anime movie, at least.
Oh wait.
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

Nurio wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
T-TYPO? WHAT TYPO?

Dammit man, you had me thoroughly confused for a good 2 minutes.
"What are they talking about? He IS saying 'sexiest'!"

I really don't see what the problem is here. We all can agree that he is the sexiest variant of the hobos.

AceAssistant wrote:

Dude YES. Or maybe an English live-action series. Air it on Netflix or something- wait no, they would screw it up unless it was showrunned by THE most devoted of fans. ...I just want to see John Cho play Phoenix. He's perfect for it...

Bad Player wrote:
Aquabreeze wrote:

Ehhh. To each their own, I suppose. I would've liked AA4 Phoenix better if he didn't wear the darn hat and hoodie for the whole game.
Spoiler: AA4
I mean for god's sake, Phoenix. You couldn't wear something nicer when YOU WERE ON TRIAL FOR MURDER?! :think-think-think:

Last edited by Aquabreeze on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

I really don't see what the problem is here. We all can agree that he is the sexiest variant of the hobos.

What? No. I am not even commenting on his sexiness. I am talking about the typo that has been erased from history leaving a very confusing exchange of words.

Nurio wrote:

What? No. I am not even commenting on his sexiness. I am talking about the typo that has been erased from history leaving a very confusing exchange of words.

Yes, I know what you meant. Shame on me for messing with you.

BP missed an 'i'. And if this post is somehow edited as well to cover someone's tracks, then clearly something strange is going on.

Nurio wrote:

BP missed an 'i'. And if this post is somehow edited as well to cover someone's tracks, then clearly something strange is going on.

[takes a screenshot of Rubia's unedited post] BP won't get away with it so easily :karma:

A Kirby and AA fan

A-Ah... My bad... I was a bit split between assuming between whether you're messing with me or whether you just didn't understand me...
Guess I made an ass out of u and me, huh...?

Anyway, thanks for explaining!

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

JesusMonroe wrote:

Yeah, especially now that the n3DS is out because it could greatly improve the framerate if they enhance their games for it like with MH4U for example. (instant system-seller if that was the case)

But you're right and I was actually a bit surprised to see Takumi decided to go with a more PLvPWAA approach to models and animations with DGS, but I guess it's because his staff is the same staff that contributed to PLvPWAA and the talent on Yamazaki/Eshiro's team are masters of the kind of snappy, pretty animations of DD.

Kind of awful because I think when it comes to gestures and breakdowns the Takumi games are always better than Eshiro/Yamazakis (as in the animations make more sense to me and I find them more comedic) but the animation quality of Yamazaki/Eshiro is just really really high standard.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Am I the only one who absolutely loathed Detective Fulbright? His character was so bland it was like a fourth-wall breaker. It was painfully obvious that the writers were trying to create a unique, stand-out character, and it failed miserably. Gumshoe and Skye were much more interesting than that sack of rocks....

...in my opinion.

I've felt worse.

AceAssistant wrote:
Am I the only one who absolutely loathed Detective Fulbright? His character was so bland it was like a fourth-wall breaker. It was painfully obvious that the writers were trying to create a unique, stand-out character, and it failed miserably. Gumshoe and Skye were much more interesting than that sack of rocks....

...in my opinion.

If you're the only one who absolutely loathed Fulbright, does that make me non-existent?
Seriously though, I didn't like Fulbright either. Mostly because he spams the word "justice" so much, you'd think that his entire character was made for the purpose of seeing how many times one could use the word "justice" in one game... without having any actual character.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

But if Fulbright was swapped with Gumshoe/Ema, the creators wouldn't be able to show off their shiny new 3D engine as well!

But Ema could throw snackoos in 3D. I want to see that in the next game.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

This. Very much, this.

As much as I do like detective Fulbright,
Spoiler: Dual Destinies
Well, at least I think I'd like him if he wasn't... well, dead.
I really wish Gumshoe appeared in the game. Last time we saw him was in Apollo Justice and his cameo was seriously weird. :sadshoe: I know that Fulbright is important to the plot, but Capcom could put Gumshoe somewhere. They managed to stick Klavier in the game, why couldn't they do the same about Scruffy ?

And why was there no Oldbag :oldbag: ?! Capcom could put her somewhere in Cosmos Space Center. Imagine Edgeworth meeting her once more. It'd be hilariously funny.

Oldbag: "Edgey-pooooooo! You look so handsome wearing those glasses!"
Edgeworth: "NOT YOU AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!"

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Oldbag stopped being funny after 2-4, and even then she was annoying.

In my opinion.

I kind of understand how she can be annoying for some people.

Still, I admire her. For example...
Spoiler: JFA
I was laughing soo hard because of her still looking for bugs at the end of JFA credits.

AceAssistant wrote:
I know this may sound unreasonable, but I feel like they need to stop shoving new main characters in our faces. It just forces the old ones to take the backseat, and pretty soon you have a bunch of veteran main characters with only a shell of their former personality ( :trucy: *cough), because development is spent on the new character. ( :athena: *cough *cough) and a whole lot of cameos that pop up out of nowhere, only serving to tease the audience ( :maya: *cough *cough *cough). Can't we just stop leaping forward in the timeline? (C'mon, seven whole years?) Can't we do away with this whole "Dark Age of the Law" business and return to the more charming plots? Do we REALLY need more mysterious and/or young prosecuting/defending geniuses who have never lost a case? ( :edgeworth: :franny: :godot: :karma: :athena: :klavier: :simon: *hack *cough *wheeze)

Stop this madness! Keep the main characters. There are some franchises that do it successfully, so it's possible, right?

Rest in peace, O original roles of these characters: :sad-maya: :wall-bang: :sillytrucy: :pearl: :sadshoe: :edgeworth:
(Funny how :udgey: is the only character to keep his role throughout all five games, huh?)

Other than that, it's pretty good game if I do say so myself. :rock'n:

That is so true. Look how it gets messier and messier (assuming that main characters = lawyers, prosecutors, detectives, partners, other important and/or massively developed characters, except for The Judge and Payne [He or his brother will always appear in the first case of every game])

DO NOT OPEN A SPOILER FOR A GAME YOU'VE NOT FINISHED YET!!!!

PW:AA - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Phoenix Wright - new character, alive and main
- Maya Fey - new character, alive and main
- Mia Fey - new character, main even though she's dead (thanks to Maya)
- Miles Edgeworth - new character, alive and main
- Dick Gumshoe - new character, alive and main
- Larry Butz - new character, alive and main
- Manfred von Karma - new character, main, eliminated

+ Ema Skye (NDS) - new character, added in the NDS version, she's in one case only, but still - stays (I will not bring her up again untill Apollo Justice, though)

Number of new main characters: 7 + Ema
Number of main characters that we carry to the next game: 6 + Ema

- a lot, but that is understandable as it's the first game in the series. They managed to shut Manfred's case too.

PW:AA:JFA - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Phoenix Wright - stays alive and main
- Maya Fey - stays alive and main
- Mia Fey - stays main even though she's dead (thanks to Maya and Pearl)
- Dick Gumshoe - stays alive and main
- Pearl Fey - new character, alive and main
- Franziska von Karma - new character, alive and main
- Miles Edgeworth - not main prosecutor anymore, appears and stays alive
- Larry Butz [!] - doesn't appear

Number of new main characters: 2
Number of main characters that we carry to the next game: 7 + 1 + Ema

- Only two new main characters, everybody important from the prvious games (apart from Larry) appears.

PW:AA:T&T - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Phoenix Wright - stays alive and main
- Maya Fey - stays alive and main
- Mia Fey - stays main even though she's dead (thanks to Maya and Pearl)
- Dick Gumshoe - stays alive and main
- Pearl Fey - stays alive and main
- Larry Butz/Laurice Deauxnim - alive and main again
- Godot - new character, main, eliminated
- Dahlia Hawthorne - new character, main, eliminated
- Franziska von Karma - not main prosecutor anymore, appears and stays alive
- Miles Edgeworth - appears, stays alive

+ Iris - new character, figure, though important for our main protagonist, appears in one episode only, therefore treaten like Ema (should appear in the future, though)

Number of new main characters: 3 + Iris
Number of main characters that we carry to the next game: 6 + 2 + Ema + Iris

- Three new main characters appear, two of them are dead by the end of the game (I'm a supporter of Godot-is-dead theory). All important characters from the previous games make their appearance.

End of The Trilogy - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Phoenix Wright - likely to come back
- Maya Fey - likely to come back
- Dick Gumshoe - likely to come back
- Pearl Fey - likely to come back
- Larry Butz - likely to come back
- Miles Edgeworth - likely to come back/be mentioned
- Franziska von Karma - likely to be mentioned/come back
- Iris - likely to be mentioned/come back
- Ema Skye - likely to be mentioned/come back
- Mia Fey - Bid Wright farewell, likely to be mentioned

AJ:AA - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Apollo Justice - new character, alive and main
- Trucy Wright - new character, alive and main
- Klavier Gavin - new character, alive and main
- Ema Skye - appears as a main detective (!), stays alive
- Phoenix Wright - appears, no longer playable character, stays alive
- Dick Gumshoe [!] - appears, totally out of character for no reason, though
- Maya Fey [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned (OK - probably mentioned but very, very vaguely)
- Pearl Fey [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Miles Edgeworth [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Franziska von Karma [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Larry Butz [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Iris [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Mia Fey [!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned

+ Lamiroir - I've put her there because she's Apollo and Trucy's mother. She has to appear sometime.

Number of new main characters: 3 + Lamiroir
Number of main characters that we carry to the next game: 4 + 2 + 6 + Lamiroir

- Three new main characters appear (and Lamiroir), neither of them is killed. Also, note that we are given a new main defense attorney and a new, not-episodic partner - Trucy. A big load for the future games, but necessary, as Capcom named the game APOLLO JUSTICE:Ace Attorney. I see how they couldn't bring many characters back but, damn, you could at least place Maya in MASON retrospection. And why Gumshoe is such an asshole after what occured in T&T...? Oh, and if Capcom couldn't/didn't want to bring old crew back, they could at least MENTION them in the game! Sorry for my bitterness, but I am still angry about it, even after Dual Destinies came out.

PW:AA:DD - Main characters

Spoiler:
- Apollo Justice - stays alive and main
- Phoenix Wright - appears, playable again, stays alive and main
- Athena Cykes - new character, alive and main
- Simon Blackquill - new character, alive and main
- Bobby Fulbright - new character, main and eliminated (probably)
- Pearl Fey - appears in 5-5 (plays no role, though) and DLC case, stays alive
- Miles Edgeworth - appears in 5-5 as a prosecutor, stays alive
- Mia Fey - mentioned in numerous occasions, but not by her name, stays dead xD
- Maya Fey - doesn't actually appear, but we get to read a letter from her, so she is more than just mentioned, stays alive
- Trucy Wright - appears, but is useless (even her being hostage was a huge bullshit - Phoenix didn't care, compare this to 2-4 when Maya was kidnapped), stays alive
- Klavier Gavin - appears, plays no real role in the game - useless, stays alive
- Kristoph Gavin - doesn't appear, not mentioned (somewhat understandable)
- Lamiroir - doesn't appear, not mentioned (somewhat understandable)
- Ema Skye [!]- doesn't appear, vaguely mentioned in the DLC case
- Franziska von Karma [!][!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Larry Butz [!][!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Iris [!][!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned
- Dick Gumshoe [!][!] - doesn't appear, not mentioned

Number of new main characters: 3
Number of main characters that we carry to the next game: 4 + 8 + 5

At the end we have 17 main characters to return. That's a lot.

We have three new main characters in Dual Destinies:

Simon Blackquill, new prosecutor. I really like him, he has one of the best themes in Dual Destinies, interesting outfit, and fine Objection! (rare thing in Dual Destinies :edgeworth: :phoenix: :klavier: ). But most important - he's the twisted samurai.

Bobby Fulbright, yet another detective. I like him and that's it. He's no substitute for Gumshoe. I'm glad he won't stay with us.

Athena Cykes, new playable defense attorney. I do NOT like her. I don't even tolerate her. The Mood Matrix is okay, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't there (still, I like the music, I really wish it was the cross examination theme). Athena, besides her past and Widget, has nothing to offer. She's like Maya, but worse. She also puts Trucy, Apollo's sister, aside. Yes, she is an important part of 5-5, but it's not her that is awesome in this case - It's everything except her. Fine, let her be. But not as a playable defense attorney. And give her her own personality!!!

Ugh. That's a real mess, especially with Athena on board...

There is no key for the colors, as it can be figured out intuitively.

PS. If I forgot about somebody, please remind me.

Last edited by TerryFawles on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y'know

I don't actually recall Larry appearing in JFA. Nice analysis though.

TerryFawles wrote:
Ugh. That's a real mess, especially with Athena on board...

Right you are. A "mess" it is!

Although Capcom's Ace Attorney teams do an excellent job in developing characters, I've noticed that even THEY aren't perfect, as evident in Dual Destinies, where the only TRULY interesting character is Simon Blackquill

I'll say this again: Detective Fulbright is a great example of how bland things have gotten.

SURELY DIS IZ DA DERK AGE OF DA LERRRRR!!!!!!!

I actually think one of the problems is introducing a new Prosecutor every game. Though, admittedly, that is one of the principle things I look forward to for each installment

I actually think DD could've used a little more fanservice, though, or at least go further with the characters they DID bring back (Klavier and Pearl). I obviously don't want as much fanservice as the GK games, but it would've been nice to have a more minor character show up again

Nearavex wrote:
I don't actually recall Larry appearing in JFA. Nice analysis though.

Yes, you are right. I fixed it. And thank you.

JesusMonroe wrote:
I actually think one of the problems is introducing a new Prosecutor every game. Though, admittedly, that is one of the principle things I look forward to for each installment

I actually think DD could've used a little more fanservice, though, or at least go further with the characters they DID bring back (Klavier and Pearl). I obviously don't want as much fanservice as the GK games, but it would've been nice to have a more minor character show up again

I'd rather they just throw out a bunch of characters and go back to their roots with Gumshoe, Maya, and Edgeworth. I'm not saying the other games were bad (they're definitely viewed best when set APART from other games within the series), but the Trilogy games had a nice, "light-hearted charm" to them. The past two installments felt a little more dark and brooding, as though everyone needs some kind of tragic backstory.

Then again, I guess it's too late late for that now, huh? Can't erase eight whole years...

(Just to be clear, though... I'm not a Trilogy homer. AJ is my second favorite AA game.)

I find Dual Destinies to be the worst Ace Attorney game after Investigations 1.

I enjoyed it, sure, but I eventually started realizing all the problems with this game, in my opinion.

Spoiler:
Bringing Phoenix back and resetting him to his Trilogy self. He basically acts nothing like he did in AJ. Where did that cool headed, sarcastic and cynical smug went? I didn't see him at all in DD.

Not only that, but the character flanderization of Trucy and Apollo. Trucy joked maybe once or twice about magic panties after 4-2 was done. And what does she do in DD? Never shut up about them. Same thing with Apollo. He says "I'm fine" basically at the beginning of the game and nowhere else. In DD? He's FINE! FINE! If you didn't get it already, he's FINE and his CHORDS OF STEEL ARE FINE! Because he's Apollo Justice and he's fine!

Of course, the new assistant and her new gimmick had to be showcased, and this led Trucy to become a useless cameo in the game. So was Klavier, Pearl and Edgeworth. They contributed nothing to the story other than being fanservice. And they had no development at all. Pearl was just there basically as plot device to tell us what the black locks were. Why didn't Phoenix ask a year ago what they were when he saw them on Kristoph instead of waiting until Athena got them?

So, the story. It simply threw AJ's story out of the window and pretending it never happened. What about the Gramaryes? What about Trucy and Apollo? What about Thalassa? What about Ema? What happened to the jurist system? Nope. Nobody cares. Dual Destinies is a new story of its own that addresses nothing of what AJ left unresolved. The whole story revolves around Athena and her tragic past, which is basically a rehash of 1-4 and 1-5, and wraps itself up, leaving no room for further development. That's it. Athena's story is done and resolved. She really has no reason to even be in AA6 at all. Apollo was just... there. Solving his trusting issues over his sudden best friend forever, from which we heard nothing before, suddenly being dead. And that's it. That's the whole role the protagonist of AA4 had in the game. Being emotional over his friend and nothing more. At least the story wasn't a total snoozefest like AAI was.

All the cases, barring the DLC, went from bad to average. 5-3 being one of the worst cases in the entire franchise.

5-1 starts okay, but drags on for too long, and is not as interesting as the trailers made it appear. 5-2 is just too convoluted and has a cast of crappy characters. 5-3 really is terrible. Going from the painfully obvious villain with a dumb motive (I killed my co-worker or else they'd find out I gave good grades for money) to the whole FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC ordeal going on with the trio. The first half of the court was basically pointless. Robin being a girl impacted 0% of the story and did nothing but drag further the case. Oh and if the game wasn't shoving Athena down your throat enough, now you play as her! Finally, Klavier graces us with a pointless fanservice cameo. 5-4 and 5-5, basically the same case, were just okay until the ending with the Phantom had to ruin everything. Such an uninteresting and last minute villain. Did all he did because of his identity and nothing else. The typical crappy villain for the sake of being evil. And then in the end he's taken down by a little friendship speech by everyone. Just an awful ending for an awful story.

And the cutscenes? Horrible anime-ish crap besides the case introduction ones. One thing is making a game with an anime artstyle and another is to add all that shonen anime crap in AA. "Wow Apollo standing on a destroyed courtroom and staring at the moon!" "Athena crying in the middle of the courtroom!" "I will defend you, Junie! Because you're my friend!" Just awful. It might be good for certain people but for others it was just generic anime cringey stuff.

Gameplay complain? Just what everyone has said already. Removing free examinations, the game auto jumping to your next location almost every time and playing itself, and the overall handholdiness and easiness of it.

Overall, I think DD was such a mediocre experience and I don't have much faith in AA6 after this. I'd rather the series to end than going through another DD fiasco.

Y'know

Actually, I felt like Apollo's personality was emphasized way stronger in Dual Destinies than it was in AJ. In Dual Destinies he actually acted on his own rather than being a confused boy, who needed his assistant and even his rival prosecutor to help him. Not to mention letting Phoenix continuously lead him by nose.

Gamer at Law

DeiStar wrote:
I find Dual Destinies to be the worst Ace Attorney game after Investigations 1.

I enjoyed it, sure, but I eventually started realizing all the problems with this game, in my opinion.

Spoiler:
Bringing Phoenix back and resetting him to his Trilogy self. He basically acts nothing like he did in AJ. Where did that cool headed, sarcastic and cynical smug went? I didn't see him at all in DD.

Not only that, but the character flanderization of Trucy and Apollo. Trucy joked maybe once or twice about magic panties after 4-2 was done. And what does she do in DD? Never shut up about them. Same thing with Apollo. He says "I'm fine" basically at the beginning of the game and nowhere else. In DD? He's FINE! FINE! If you didn't get it already, he's FINE and his CHORDS OF STEEL ARE FINE! Because he's Apollo Justice and he's fine!

Of course, the new assistant and her new gimmick had to be showcased, and this led Trucy to become a useless cameo in the game. So was Klavier, Pearl and Edgeworth. They contributed nothing to the story other than being fanservice. And they had no development at all. Pearl was just there basically as plot device to tell us what the black locks were. Why didn't Phoenix ask a year ago what they were when he saw them on Kristoph instead of waiting until Athena got them?

So, the story. It simply threw AJ's story out of the window and pretending it never happened. What about the Gramaryes? What about Trucy and Apollo? What about Thalassa? What about Ema? What happened to the jurist system? Nope. Nobody cares. Dual Destinies is a new story of its own that addresses nothing of what AJ left unresolved. The whole story revolves around Athena and her tragic past, which is basically a rehash of 1-4 and 1-5, and wraps itself up, leaving no room for further development. That's it. Athena's story is done and resolved. She really has no reason to even be in AA6 at all. Apollo was just... there. Solving his trusting issues over his sudden best friend forever, from which we heard nothing before, suddenly being dead. And that's it. That's the whole role the protagonist of AA4 had in the game. Being emotional over his friend and nothing more. At least the story wasn't a total snoozefest like AAI was.

All the cases, barring the DLC, went from bad to average. 5-3 being one of the worst cases in the entire franchise.

5-1 starts okay, but drags on for too long, and is not as interesting as the trailers made it appear. 5-2 is just too convoluted and has a cast of crappy characters. 5-3 really is terrible. Going from the painfully obvious villain with a dumb motive (I killed my co-worker or else they'd find out I gave good grades for money) to the whole FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC ordeal going on with the trio. The first half of the court was basically pointless. Robin being a girl impacted 0% of the story and did nothing but drag further the case. Oh and if the game wasn't shoving Athena down your throat enough, now you play as her! Finally, Klavier graces us with a pointless fanservice cameo. 5-4 and 5-5, basically the same case, were just okay until the ending with the Phantom had to ruin everything. Such an uninteresting and last minute villain. Did all he did because of his identity and nothing else. The typical crappy villain for the sake of being evil. And then in the end he's taken down by a little friendship speech by everyone. Just an awful ending for an awful story.

And the cutscenes? Horrible anime-ish crap besides the case introduction ones. One thing is making a game with an anime artstyle and another is to add all that shonen anime crap in AA. "Wow Apollo standing on a destroyed courtroom and staring at the moon!" "Athena crying in the middle of the courtroom!" "I will defend you, Junie! Because you're my friend!" Just awful. It might be good for certain people but for others it was just generic anime cringey stuff.

Gameplay complain? Just what everyone has said already. Removing free examinations, the game auto jumping to your next location almost every time and playing itself, and the overall handholdiness and easiness of it.

Overall, I think DD was such a mediocre experience and I don't have much faith in AA6 after this. I'd rather the series to end than going through another DD fiasco.

While I don't agree with everything you said, the 5-3 stuff was pretty on point...

Spoiler:
I completely agree that the whole "YAY FRIENDSHIP <3" was...stupid, but not too bad for one case. The real problem I have with it that you talked about a little was just the pointlessness of some of the contradictions. The fact that Robin is a girl was pointless. The fact that Hugh is really old was pointless. It didn't feel like I was getting any closer to finding out the truth about the case, I was just pointing things out because why not?

"Are...you...high!? Erm, the girl in this picture...she's very high!"

Current LPs: A Link to the Past, Super Smash Brothers
Join me on YouTube!
Page 18 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)