Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 3[ 92 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ideas/theories you had about the game that didn't pan out?Topic%20Title

Ultimate Survivor

Before or as you were playing Dual Destinies, did you have any crazy (or even not-so-crazy) theories or ideas that didn't pan out? Post them here.

Mine that I can think of off the top of my head...

Spoiler: Entire game
For some reason, I thought it was going to be revealed that Blackquill was a professor of the prosecution course at Themis Legal Academy. (Mostly because of his comments about upholding Prof. Courte's teachings after the end of the 3rd case.)

I also thought that Blackquill was falsely accused of killing his lover after his comment about feeling bad for a guy he met in prison who was falsely accused for that reason. (I think that was in Case 2?) I also thought for a bit that he had unrequited love for Dr. Cykes, but I guess that was more Aura...

Based on a spoiler I saw before the game came out in the U.S. (namely, the bit of art from Simon's Mood Matrix segment where he has the sword raised over his head), I thought that Blackquill was going to have an epic sword fight with the real murderer behind his case. ...Kind of sad that didn't happen now, actually...

Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.
Re: Ideas/theories you had about the game that didn't pan ouTopic%20Title

Hm, the only one I can think of at the moment is...

Spoiler:
...that I expected Athena to be a villain. However, I managed to read a spoiler only a few days after the game had been released in Japan stating that she wasn't, so yeah. Such a shame...I would've vastly preferred it if she never appeared in the franchise again.

The video game boy; the one who wins

^I wish.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Desert rose, why do you live alone?

I thought
Spoiler: Case 5
the phantom wasn't even real, cuz by the time they brought him up, it was too late in the game to introduce any new characters. And then Fulbright happened...

Spoiler: Regarding Apollo...
When I thought he said he was going to take justice into his own hands I thought he was going to somehow try to track down the killer and murder them in a fit of vigilantism...

Either that, or he'll seem that way until another murder occurs with him as the accused.

Also...

Spoiler: Case 5 spoilers
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who waited for Edgeworth to reveal 3 completely unrelated people from the past case and see that the Phantom was one of them?

Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

This is not a serious theory but it crossed my mind...
Athena is a robot. I think it would have been interesting for her mother to make a robot that looked and acted like a human who had the ability to read people's emotions. It makes no sense since we see flashbacks of her as little girl, and I would assume robots don't grow like humans do. Then again, this is Ace Attorney and we've seen crazier things than that.

About the Apollo theory above...
Spoiler:
When he said that, I was expecting him to be the defendant in the fifth case.

Prosecutor

Am I the only one who jumped when they found the leaves? "OH NO, NOT JUNIPER!"

Of course, a little reflection showed this made no sense, but stranger things have happened in AA.

Programmer

Spoiler: case 5
I thought that the robots were going to be the murderer. Or at least be controlled by someone to perform the murder.

Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee...

Honestly, I thought when they revealed that there was a phantom, that Clay Terran was going to be the spy, shattering Apollo's confidence. And it didn't seem like there was anyone else in the game who could be it, maybe Yuri Cosmos or Aura? But they didn't seem likely. I never would have guessed Fullbright.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

That Blackquill was a baddie and Apollo would join him and become Phoenix' rival.

I'm kinda sad seeing how much Apollo looked like Kristoph in one of his animations that he didn't turn out to be darker. I wish they'd left his fate open for speculation instead of him rejoining the Agency in the final case.

This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Breakdown

Spoiler: Case 5, game in general, somewhat AAI2
I see I wasn't alone in suspecting Athena was a robot, even going as far as to think she might've been "controlled" into killing her mother. I for sure thought Aura was fibbing about what she witnessed on the ladder and would be Clay's killer too , and I thought we might've seen a AAI2 style surprise twist from Juniper with the way she kept popping up. Thank the maker Apollo wasn't the killer though, I got so nervous at one point (trying to remember if the final boss spoiler I gave myself months ago was of a white gloved hand or a bandaged one) and would've been, ha well..super pissed at the AAI team.

Spoiler: "Case 5"
I really, really hoped for a big Athena/Simon "welcome back" hug at the end of Case 5. Or at least for Simon warming up a little. Sigh. Oh well...

Image ImageImage

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

Spoiler: 5-5
I thought the Phantom was going to be an android or robot. However, considering "he" has blood (which is why he sent the moon rock on the doomed HAT-1 mission) and no one mentioned anything out of the ordinary after he was shot, I think that theory is out.

I also thought that Simon and Athena would be related by blood. That was obviously not true.

My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

Spyro wrote:
I really, really hoped for a big Athena/Simon "welcome back" hug at the end of Case 5. Or at least for Simon warming up a little. Sigh. Oh well...

Spoiler:
He did. He joked with everyone, thanked Athena and Edgeworth (not Phoenix for some reason) and then invited himself to dinner on someone else's tab.

Thane wrote:
Spyro wrote:

Spoiler:
He did. He joked with everyone, thanked Athena and Edgeworth (not Phoenix for some reason) and then invited himself to dinner on someone else's tab.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I think you're actually right here. It must be quite difficult to open up after 7 years of grumpiness, so it was definitely something. However I still hoped for a bit more appreciation and emotions on his side. But perhaps that's just me.

Image ImageImage

ZVARRI!

I incorrectly guessed, based on Robin Newman and Hugh O'Conner's names, that
Spoiler: Case 3
they were a robber and a con artist, respectively.

After briefly seeing Jinxie Tenma in a trailer for the game, I thought
Spoiler: Entire Game
Maya was back.
I know I wasn't the only one. But at least
we got to see Pearl again.

Last, but not least, when the villain of the last case was said to be
a police officer who showed no emotion in his voice,
I thought for sure it would be
Spoiler: Cases 1 and 5
Ted Tonate, who normally uses text-to-speech instead of his real voice.
Though, considering the way things ended,
it very well could be him.

Even though I know that theory was put to rest long ago, I still think it would have been perfect if Apollo had ended up prosecuting the first half of Case 5. It would have went great with his whole "trying to find the truth" attitude he had, especially when you consider that he was more or less acting like a prosecutor when he took the witness stand, with the way he kept objecting back and forth with Phoenix. He could have still followed the same idea as he did in the game, prosecuting Athena in order to remove any doubt that she was innocent. Then, once Wright cleared her name and Fullbright was revealed as the "Phantom", he could have given the trial back to Blackquill and the story could have followed the same path from there. I don't know, the idea of Phoenix going against his former subordinate just had a nice ring to it, since that's something the series hasn't really dealt with. Though I realize that would have basically left Edgeworth with nothing to do though.

Ultimate Survivor

Like others, I thought for a while that

Spoiler:
Athena was a robot, and that the Phantom was too.

But was anyone else disappointed by the fact that...

Spoiler: Minor Blackquill spoiler I guess
when Blackquill told stories about his fellow prisoners, he never referenced past AA culprits? I thought for sure they were going to throw some references in there, but it doesn't seem like they did.

Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

Text of Steel!

My early idea after Apollo was confirmed to come back and the image of him being injured with the jacket on made me think that he would leave the agency and become the rival prosecutor for a reason like the culprit of the bombing not being caught or something. Would have been an interesting route to go with but I'm fine with how things turned out. Simon is amazing

Just a fellow PW fan!

emimprov wrote:
But was anyone else disappointed by the fact that...

Spoiler: Minor Blackquill spoiler I guess
when Blackquill told stories about his fellow prisoners, he never referenced past AA culprits? I thought for sure they were going to throw some references in there, but it doesn't seem like they did.

Spoiler: Blackquill
With Klavier returning, I genuinely thought Kristoph would have had some relevance to this game due to Blackquill's history in prison. I was at least hoping for something about Kristoph.

TheIdioteque wrote:
Even though I know that theory was put to rest long ago, I still think it would have been perfect if Apollo had ended up prosecuting the first half of Case 5. It would have went great with his whole "trying to find the truth" attitude he had, especially when you consider that he was more or less acting like a prosecutor when he took the witness stand, with the way he kept objecting back and forth with Phoenix. He could have still followed the same idea as he did in the game, prosecuting Athena in order to remove any doubt that she was innocent. Then, once Wright cleared her name and Fullbright was revealed as the "Phantom", he could have given the trial back to Blackquill and the story could have followed the same path from there. I don't know, the idea of Phoenix going against his former subordinate just had a nice ring to it, since that's something the series hasn't really dealt with. Though I realize that would have basically left Edgeworth with nothing to do though.

It would make for a great transition for his character in the sixth game, if he realizes that
Spoiler: Apollo
being a prosecutor with a trustworthy DA can lead towards the truth, much like Edgeworth/Phoenix tried to prove in the final case (fighting against the dark age of law and demonstrating that "the ends justify the means" was a flawed philosophy). I could easily see Apollo making the transition to prosecutor for this purpose in the sixth game, working as Edgeworth's apprentice (or maybe Franziska's assistant if Edgeworth is feeling sadistic, which I now hope happens :ka-whip: :franny: ) .

Last edited by Kav on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Going in, my lead theory was that Ted Tonate was actually Winston Payne. He has his jaw, and the helmet and goggles do a good job of hiding everything else but apparently that was it.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Spoiler: 5-5
At the end of Simon's mood matrix, when it showed Athena standing over Metis's body covered in blood, with her antennae headphones on, the antennae stood out so much that I thought for a while that someone could've "hijacked" her brain through the headphones and made her commit the murder. It certainly wouldn't have been the strangest thing in the series, and the case was already so dark that I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Athena had been the real killer. I mean, they already got pretty darn close to having a child killer in 1-5.

Spoiler: Case 4
I had seen some fan art of Clay before playing case 4, and I thought it was weird that he was so popular when he was just a victim, so I thought he would fake his death and then come back in the last case.

I also saw someone mention Kristoph while talking about spoilers and I immediately assumed he would make a cameo, and maybe even be the Phantom.

Spoiler: Simon's past
Since it was mentioned that Simon could use psychology in court to trick witnesses, I thought he would've used that to manipulate the judge to think he was guilty in his trial 7 years ago to protect someone.

Baloo wrote:
Honestly, I thought when they revealed that there was a phantom, that Clay Terran was going to be the spy, shattering Apollo's confidence. And it didn't seem like there was anyone else in the game who could be it, maybe Yuri Cosmos or Aura? But they didn't seem likely. I never would have guessed Fullbright.

Spoiler:
I also totally thought that it was Clay. Made much more sense to me somehow. I mean the picture of him stabbed seemed like it could have been faked. As in the knife is just stabbing a space suit and blood could have been placed there. As a spy he could have had the organization fake an autopsy report and then continue his phantom-like ways. Would have love to have seen a showdown between him and Apollo.

Hmm a lot of people seemed to have considered Athena was a robot, it actually never crossed my mind before but yeah that would have been a cool twist. Especially if Blackquill was too. Either that or I like the blood relation idea.

Wotter boy

Spoiler: Case 3 and Turnabout Reclaimed
I honestly thought and wanted Klavier to be the prosecutor in these cases. >~<

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

When someone told me that he saw a picture regarding the M-rating and showing a main character (it turned out to be Athena covered in blood) I pictured Apollo killing someone in a very dark and gory way, and he being the killer in the last case.

And I also thought Mia would be channeled.

I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.

Oh yes, quite strange ones now that I think about it. I avoided just about everything before the game was released.

Case 3:
Spoiler:
Edgey with his new cool glasses was a teacher at Themis Academy. Was kinda disappointed when he wasn't.

Case 5 especially: MAJOR spoilers
Spoiler:
1. "The culprit has no emotions." PONCO! No!!! You can't be the culp... oh.
2. With the suggestion Athena was in the box Blackquill had: What about Junie... she could've fit? She might've killed Thena's mum because she was evil with the headphones and all and Thena's her best friend and... oh.
3. When the hell is that additional character gonna show up... Edgeworth was going to find out about the 3 first-on-the-scene-people.
4. With Prof. Means mask: The Phantom was the culprit in all cases.
5. Clay was killed by idunnowho because he killed Thena's mum.

Another one I just thought up recently:

I thought that the electrocution device Fullbright/Phantom had on Simon Blackquill would come into play for some reason (maybe like rendering Blackquill unable to prosecute against Fullbright unless he was proven innocent or he'd be killed if he spoke out, leaving Phoenix and Co to make their argument).

Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Spoiler: Case 5-5
That Blackquill murdered someone in court with his sword. The flashbacks game me that idea.

I was 17 when I joined this forum. During this time I participated in a thread that made light of sexual assault and event making jokes about it. I didn't think much of it at the time other than portraying a villain. I am older, looking back see how unacceptable & disgusting. I removed the comments because I do not wish to condone this behaviour. But of course fragments remain. I can only apologise for any hurt of distress caused.

https://rapecrisis.org.uk/ https://www.samaritans.org/

Wotter boy

Aura being named Selene/Selena.
That is all.

Spoiler: Case 3
I thought that "legendary prosecutor" they've invited for the event was Edgeworth. I didn't knew that Klavier was going to appear in the game, but I knew Edgeworth was.

Also, I've suspected that Hugh was killer from the first day, because he had some really evil-looking animations that reminded me of :kristoph: . And when on second day a lot of strong evidence against him appeared and he changed his attitude, I thought, that his guilt now is obvious beyond any doubt and I was right to suspect him. Still, for Ace Attorney game it seemed too much obvious and simple to be true, so I've expected, that there would be sudden twist, and game didn't disappoint me.

When Pearls showed up, I thought she would channel someone (Clay maybe?) to give her sudden appearence some reason. Also, it was majorly hinted throughout the previous cases that "channeling" is back and things like that, so I REALLY thought she would channel somebody and not just clean up the office. And it would've made SO MUCH SENSE. I mean, she CAN do it, she could do it when she was freakin' 9 years old and now she is 17, why didn't he just ASK her?! Making things complicated.

I really thought that a robot killed Clay or thena's mum. would've explained the emotionless voice and the lack of fingerprints.

And I thought that Clay wasn't really dead, because he seemed too important to me as Apollo's best friend and we didn't get to know him. I kept thinking that maybe he just faked his death or he is the phantom or Pearly would channel him, so the player could get to know him.. Idk, we always got to know a victim before they were killed (like Maya's mom).

I'm german.. so please forgive me mistakes etc. x)

Soon-to-be hippie

In the whole AA series, important characters are bound to die early (spoiler 1-2 xd )

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

About Apollo:
Spoiler:
He would've lost an important case(the case that was only postponed in the final game) and lost confidence in himself as a lawyer. (some elements from Farewell, My Turnabout.) And that he would've left the agency because of that. It made me think he would try and find himself, just like Edgeworth when he went into hiding.

Another theory but a strange and legally unlikely one, also about Apollo...
Spoiler:
He would become Edgeworth's apprentice and try prosecution for a change.

"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: 5-5 Late game spoilers
I thought the 'emotionless' person who had committed the murder might have been one of the robots being remote-operated by Aura.....I REALLY wanted her to be the killer.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Prodigal Son

I was totally sleepdrunk on this case but

Spoiler: Case 5 major spoilers
When Phoenix was pressing Bobby/the Phantom about why he would be afraid of the moon rock and DNA/the blood was brought up, I totally thought the Phantom was Athena's father and DNA testing would prove it--we didn't know how old the Phantom was and who he could have been before. I realized how ridiculous the theory was when I woke up BUT IT COULD'VE BEEN SO COOL--

RETURN OF THE JEDI STRIPES.

The cape is self-fluttering

Sahnie wrote:
When Pearls showed up, I thought she would channel someone (Clay maybe?) to give her sudden appearence some reason. Also, it was majorly hinted throughout the previous cases that "channeling" is back and things like that, so I REALLY thought she would channel somebody and not just clean up the office. And it would've made SO MUCH SENSE. I mean, she CAN do it, she could do it when she was freakin' 9 years old and now she is 17, why didn't he just ASK her?! Making things complicated.

Spoiler: DL-6
Then everyone would start asking, "Why not channel the victim in every other case that's occurred so far?" since spirit channeling has technically been "back" since Misty's name was cleared in 1-4. Honestly, that's a bit complicated in itself. Besides the fact that we could potentially be playing the shortest case ever, a victim's testimony isn't always reliable. Even Gregory Edgeworth had no idea who killed him in DL-6.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

All this Athena hate is making me sad.

Adrian in black wrote:
Sahnie wrote:

Then everyone would start asking, "Why not channel the victim in every other case that's occurred so far?" since spirit channeling has technically been "back" since Misty's name was cleared in 1-4. Honestly, that's a bit complicated in itself. Besides the fact that we could potentially be playing the shortest case ever, a victim's testimony isn't always reliable. Even Gregory Edgeworth had no idea who killed him in DL-6.

I thought there was some difficulty in calling back a spirit unless the channeler was close to them. Maya and Pearl (as far as we know) have only channeled people within the Fey Family, and while Misty did manage to channel Gregory, she was the master with a supposed abundance of spiritual power, so she likely supercedes both Pearl and Maya in terms of ability to call back any spirit.

As for theories of mine that didn't pan out...

Spoiler:
I had thought that Apollo and Klavier were going to be the ones involved in the mock trial due to the screens released before the game, as opposed to just making a reenactment of it.

I also originally thought that Case 3 was going to be the case where the courtroom exploded...definitely didn't expect Case 4 to be broken up in half.

"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Adrian in black wrote:
Sahnie wrote:

Well, true. I guess Maya could've always just channeled the victim. There are certain rules to this, I guess.
Spoiler:
But still, I think that if Pearly would've channeled somebody, her cameo weren't so useless. She could've channeled Mia.. or somebody else.. I don't know ;) I just assumed that this was going to happen, since she's a spirit medium and not a cleaning lady ;)

I'm german.. so please forgive me mistakes etc. x)

The cape is self-fluttering

TheBlarghMan wrote:
All this Athena hate is making me sad.

Adrian in black wrote:
Sahnie wrote:

I thought there was some difficulty in calling back a spirit unless the channeler was close to them. Maya and Pearl (as far as we know) have only channeled people within the Fey Family, and while Misty did manage to channel Gregory, she was the master with a supposed abundance of spiritual power, so she likely supercedes both Pearl and Maya in terms of ability to call back any spirit.

Hmm... I haven't heard anything about that. Is that a fan theory?

It's true Maya and Pearl have only channeled people within the Fey family, but Dahlia was practically a stranger to the both of them. Apparently all that's needed to channel a spirit is a picture, if we go by the details of Morgan's evil plot.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT
Page 1 of 3 [ 92 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)