Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 4 of 8[ 283 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Meiji-era Dai Gyakuten Saiban for 3DS - Ideas/DiscussionTopic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Ash wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Hey, it's the perfect way to hide or remove evidence, or even replace evidence at the scene! I wonder if we could find superfluous evidence that doesn't seem to impact the case "as much". That is, it's evidence of the crime, but there are other pieces of evidence that would make a more convincing argument if they were presented instead. It'd work out as a new mechanic, in a sense, and possibly frustrate players more during trials, but whatever, we need a challenging game after these pretty darn easy ones lately.

If we don't have the freedom to make our arguments in a case, then at least let us have the freedom to differentiate between what would make a suitable argument and what would make a strong one, rather than follow a set course of what needs to be presented at when. It'd be the best update to the cross-examination mechanic in a long time.

Superfluous evidence just as, is a very frustrating element, I think. I recently played Tantei Gakuen Q: Meitantei wa Kimi da! (GBA), which had superfluous evidence (and a system where you had to 'record' every piece of evidence yourself. Or miss it), but it was soooooo frustrating because you'd be saddled with a mountain of evidence, most of which related in some way to the crime, and then they'd just say, "these are the three hints for solving the crime" (-> player has to select them). And I was always like... So what do you want me to present now? Howdunnit? Whodunnit? Whydunnit?

They could do something like giving the player the freedom to choose which lines of reasoning they take, with the evidence sets changing depending on those lines... I.e., the courses and the answers to each part of the course would be set, but the evidence used in each course would differ. What would be a 'weak' argument/piece of evidence in the whodunnit course, might be a strong argument in the howdunnit course. (something like how evidence is sometimes reused in GS with different meanings)

Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody (3DS) did something sliiiiightly like that (you could choose your lines of reasoning, but you were forced to do all lines anyway). For GS, it might add some replay value if you could clear a chapter with any of the courses (instead of forcing you to do them all).

Would mean they would have to write mysteries that can be solved from multiple ways + witness segments for each course, but it would be cool...

Howhoodunwat? Yes, it could be pretty frustrating at times, but a lot of players just spam everything in the court record until they get the right one. Keep the two save files from now on, but at least give players some optional hints about how (else) to interpret evidence, rather than which testimony is fishy like in Consultations. The testimony itself is usually pretty simple to understand, and when it isn't we can always press for more info. We can't press the evidence. We can check it for more details, but how about some comments from the lawyer checking it, then? (I remember you brought up a game with a similar mechanic to this, but I've forgotten the name.)

Knowing how stingy Capcom can be (especially now), they likely won't throw in so many possibilities, but there's no harm in adding a few separate courses. It adds replay value, keeps fans preoccupied, and may give them a better chance with sales because of said replay value. It's more work to write them out, definitely, but they've already added more bad endings in GS5 (as shallow as they were, they had rather deep implications), so might as well. They can keep the linear story for sake of maintaining the canon, but they could expand a little more on gameplay aside from throwing out random gimmicks. That's always been the greatest weakness of these games, imo.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Howhoodunwat? Yes, it could be pretty frustrating at times, but a lot of players just spam everything in the court record until they get the right one. Keep the two save files from now on, but at least give players some optional hints about how (else) to interpret evidence, rather than which testimony is fishy like in Consultations. The testimony itself is usually pretty simple to understand, and when it isn't we can always press for more info. We can't press the evidence. We can check it for more details, but how about some comments from the lawyer checking it, then? (I remember you brought up a game with a similar mechanic to this, but I've forgotten the name.)

Ah, I was talking about the the Akito Date games (two of them freeware).

I was thinking, what about system where you could object to evidence with evidence? Like how you'd combine items in other adventure games, or AAI's Logic system. Allow you to show that some pieces of evidence contradict other pieces of evidence (w/o having to do that through a witness testimony), and update the court record accordingly (or even 'create' new evidence like AAI's logic). Would work with a game that incorporates the notion of fake evidence (made by the murderer) and superfluous/red herring evidence, as you'd need to work out what evidence is actually usuable or not.

Combine it with a system where you could thus take out fake pieces of evidence before they are presented, and you could end up with a more freeflowing system, where you're able to shortcut segments because you already proved evidence vital to prosecution's argument to be faulty.

And this is all totally inspired by Van Madoy's Revoir series, where evidence is proven to fake, real and fake again all the time. And in the end it doesn't matter what it was.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:

Ah, I was talking about the the Akito Date games (two of them freeware).

I was thinking, what about system where you could object to evidence with evidence? Like how you'd combine items in other adventure games, or AAI's Logic system. Allow you to show that some pieces of evidence contradict other pieces of evidence (w/o having to do that through a witness testimony), and update the court record accordingly (or even 'create' new evidence like AAI's logic). Would work with a game that incorporates the notion of fake evidence (made by the murderer) and superfluous/red herring evidence, as you'd need to work out what evidence is actually usuable or not.

Combine it with a system where you could thus take out fake pieces of evidence before they are presented, and you could end up with a more freeflowing system, where you're able to shortcut segments because you already proved evidence vital to prosecution's argument to be faulty.

And this is all totally inspired by Van Madoy's Revoir series, where evidence is proven to fake, real and fake again all the time. And in the end it doesn't matter what it was.

Oooh. This sounds like it could potentially be executed very well

Ash wrote:

This could either work out really well, or it'd become a blatant recycling of AAI's Logic system. It isn't to say that it shouldn't be integrated; rather, it should be. Generating new evidence from the old and removing superfluous evidence to prevent dead ends are both ideal improvements to the classic cross-exams. I'm just wondering how they'd be able to pull it off as a "new" mechanic in this game or another. If they don't, they better come up with some new hook other than this game being set in the Meiji era. Even if I don't really care about new gimmicks, they still play their role as hooks. which is why it should have an action sequence, come on Kojima, join Takumi

Technically, proving evidence is fake opens up the opportunity to use it as real evidence of the crime (or at least a related one), so we could say it's probably "both real and fake".
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

迷探偵

Technically, proving evidence is fake opens up the opportunity to use it as real evidence of the crime (or at least a related one), so we could say it's probably "both real and fake".

True, but it could also set the door open for postmodern interpretations of the detective novel, i.e. if we accept the existence of fake evidence (and 'fake murderers', people being set up as such), then you'd have to accept the existence of faked fake evidence, and a faked fake murderer (level 2), and from then one faked fake fake evidence and murderers (level 3) etcetera, until we can never be sure about anything. Which really should only be a thing Ellery Queen and Norizuki Rintarou worry about...

Which reminds, I have a critical study on the thought processes of detective fiction lying somewhere, with several chapters on the way it was done in GS1 and GS2.

I have books on very random topics.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:

True, but it could also set the door open for postmodern interpretations of the detective novel, i.e. if we accept the existence of fake evidence (and 'fake murderers', people being set up as such), then you'd have to accept the existence of faked fake evidence, and a faked fake murderer (level 2), and from then one faked fake fake evidence and murderers (level 3) etcetera, until we can never be sure about anything. Which really should only be a thing Ellery Queen and Norizuki Rintarou worry about...

Which reminds, I have a critical study on the thought processes of detective fiction lying somewhere, with several chapters on the way it was done in GS1 and GS2.

I have books on very random topics.

混乱の逆転, do want.

Ooh, so what things does that study go into?

Surf's Up!

I'm not really sure about this to be quite honest: First of all, being set in the Meji period (which, according to Wikipedia was from 1868 to 1912) means no fingerprints, no video cameras, no DNA evidence, (although photography did surprisingly exist). Secondly, I have no clue what they are going to do about the whole "localised version takes place in Los Angeles" thing? Is California going to be part of Japan in the AA universe at this time, or will it take place in Japan (or elsewhere)?

I'm just gonna watch dowolf's playthrough because I have no real hopes of the game being translated, even though the immigrant theory makes perfect sense

NinjaMonkey wrote:
I'm not really sure about this to be quite honest: First of all, being set in the Meji period (which, according to Wikipedia was from 1868 to 1912) means no fingerprints, no video cameras, no DNA evidence, (although photography did surprisingly exist). Secondly, I have no clue what they are going to do about the whole "localised version takes place in Los Angeles" thing? Is California going to be part of Japan in the AA universe at this time, or will it take place in Japan (or elsewhere)?

But the less advanced technology only means there's more room for mystery. There's a pretty good reason why the detective fiction boom was around then and into the mid 1900s. It's still ongoing in Japan these days, though.

And as I've mentioned before, American immigrants in Japan. There, problem solved. Yeah, we could also say that Nick is supposed to be Japanese American instead, but it kinda loses the point of localizing his name to "Wright". Either way, there's no way Capcom can pull off Los Tokyo Angeles here.

迷探偵

Ooh, so what things does that study go into?

It's been some years since I read the book, but one chapter on GS is about the gap between player-character (Naruhodo) and the player: how some deductions might not be strong in-universe, but make sense on a meta-level (i.e. assuming the player =/= Naruhodo, but a third person). The one on GS2 builds on that IIRC, posing the deduction process VS the question of justice (i.e getting Ootoro of the hook via logic & proof, even though the player knows it's wrong).

NinjaMonkey wrote:

But the less advanced technology only means there's more room for mystery. There's a pretty good reason why the detective fiction boom was around then and into the mid 1900s. It's still ongoing in Japan these days, though.

Actually, a lot of people thought that the pure puzzle form of detective fiction, as it arised in the 1920~30s (i.e. the Christies, the Queens, the Carrs), wouldn't be possible anymore becuase of things like DNA evidence and cameras. In the end, the presence or absense of technology isn't what makes or breaks a mystery, they just form the background in which mystery is presented.

(I already mentioned it many times, but Yamada Fuutarou's Meiji Dantoudai is a detective story set in early Meiji, but definitely of the best I've read the last few years. And I have read quite some detectives...)

Since the time period does seem to be set around the Meiji period, I wonder if the cases would involve massive amounts of political intrigue...

What seems to be a simple case on the surface may turn out to be actually a huge conspiracy regarding anti-foreigner sentiment or even the pro-Shogunate vs. pro-Emperor conflict (which eventually led to the Boshin War).

A case inspired by the Icarus Affair where a foreigner is killed may be pretty interesting, and I see that in the other thread there is a possibility on using the direction in which words are written to mislead investigators.

It would also be nice to touch on the burakimin (perhaps the protagonist would be one of the few to defend an untouchable?) aspect.

IGdood wrote:
Since the time period does seem to be set around the Meiji period, I wonder if the cases would involve massive amounts of political intrigue...

What seems to be a simple case on the surface may turn out to be actually a huge conspiracy regarding anti-foreigner sentiment or even the pro-Shogunate vs. pro-Emperor conflict (which eventually led to the Boshin War).

A case inspired by the Icarus Affair where a foreigner is killed may be pretty interesting, and I see that in the other thread there is a possibility on using the direction in which words are written to mislead investigators.

It would also be nice to touch on the burakimin (perhaps the protagonist would be one of the few to defend an untouchable?) aspect.

Welcome to the Court, though do be careful around Meiji history. The title of "bengoshi" wasn't created until the Attorneys' Law of 1893, and the Boshin War took place in 1868. If there will be any political conspiracy involved, it might not extend to a national level.

It was also a time of compulsory education, so of course we'd take place in a school. I wonder if we'll get to meet a teacher who's a former samurai. Maybe he'll be Ryuu's mentor or something.

Welcome to the Court, though do be careful around Meiji history. The title of "bengoshi" wasn't created until the Attorneys' Law of 1893, and the Boshin War took place in 1868. If there will be any political conspiracy involved, it might not extend to a national level.

It was also a time of compulsory education, so of course we'd take place in a school. I wonder if we'll get to meet a teacher who's a former samurai. Maybe he'll be Ryuu's mentor or something.

Thanks for the welcome and the corrections. Was it explicitly said that Ryuu is an attorney or just a "defender of justice/seeker of truth" type of character?

In his introductory quote, Ryuu uses the term "bengoshi" specifically. He talks about it as if it's a new quest for glory, so I'd assume the year of this game would be around 1893 or a bit later.

In his introductory quote, Ryuu uses the term "bengoshi" specifically. He talks about it as if it's a new quest for glory, so I'd assume the year of this game would be around 1893 or a bit later.

Oh okay. I should really read up more on the game before I start talking. 1890s are an interesting time as Japan makes its mark in the Asian sphere. I wonder if the game will bring up conflicts with neighboring China or Korea; maybe not since relations are still strained in present day. Would be safe for Capcom to keep the game's story within Japan.

And within the school. He's a university student and I assume so is Susato. Since he's not yet an actual lawyer, it seems the trials he'll be attending are mock(?) trials hosted by the school.

Doesn't mean that a real murder won't happen, but I think the political agenda won't be touched upon.

Since it is set in a school environment, I wonder if we, playing as a student, will be assigned homework in prep of the trials, which act as exams or projects. Homework and tests in a video game. Takumi, you better know what you're doing.

迷探偵

Meiji's compulsary education was only for elementary school (Jinjou shougakkou) and stopped at age 14, or if you completed the course, whatever came first.

Quote:
Since it is set in a school environment, I wonder if we, playing as a student, will be assigned homework in prep of the trials, which act as exams or projects. Homework and tests in a video game. Takumi, you better know what you're doing.

Reminds me of those (horrible!) random quiz questions they had at the start of each case in Tantei Gakuen Q: Meitantei wa Kimi da!. This was one of the more relevant questions, but most of the questions had absolutely nothing to do with 1) the story and 2) the detective business.

From what I've seen from the trailer, a lot of DGS's atmosphere is based on the opening of the country and the industralization / 'becoming educated' (what the Japanese would call 開化), but I actually wonder how much the lead-up to this era (i.e. the restoration movement) will play a role in DGS's story? In real-life it's important, naturally and all cases in Yamada Fuutarou's Meiji Dantoudai were strongly connected with the restoration (people wanting to take revenge for what happened in the battles, 'criminals against the state' etc.), but it might be too much for DGS if it wants to incorporate all of that history. Maybe DGS will just focus on modernization.

I think that's a safe bet. While the restoration's influence will be prevalent throughout, in the end, it's still an Ace Attorney game. We can have a little leeway for some things to not make sense, granted they don't stand out too much.

And even if Capcom JP wasn't thinking about localization during development, I'm sure there will be enough Western influence in the game setting for the localization team to work with. I'm fully convinced by now that Phoenix's ancestor will be localized as an American immigrant to Japan, regardless of whether or not he has Japanese heritage.

I just hope "modernization" in Japanifornia extends beyond just diversifying the cast and setting up an American (university) school system. I don't want a Meiji-era-based game to feel like it's possible to be set in anywhere outside Japan.

迷探偵

I mentioned in the GS6 ideas thread I'd love a case set on a means of transportation like train or boat (c.f. GK1-2). This would be perfect for DGS actually, I just realized. Both trains and steamships were important for the country-wide industralization and nation-building.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

A train would be an obvious choice. I like that idea. I think out of that or ships they will go with a train if they want the idea implemented, simply because the murder of PLvsPWAA-1 was on a cargo ship.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

The video game boy; the one who wins

"This is an emergency! Is there a lawyer onboard??!"

I like the idea. I'm thinking a train resembling the one Luke and Layton rode in Professor Layton and Pandora's box.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

I suspect there will be more than vague allusions to the Layton franchise, and not simply through the visual appeal either. The music we've heard from the trailer already has a similar feeling to it.

Also, I'm still thinking about Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. I'd like to see something that's reminiscent of the train scene in that movie. Two lovers meet aboard a train to the city when calamity strikes. What's at first mistaken as an earthquake, though, isn't actually an earthquake, but a sabotage.

By the way, was that earthquake scene in the movie the 1891 Nobi one or another? I could not settle on a specific year for that movie, since it kept passing along so quickly. If I could just recall where they were headed...

The video game boy; the one who wins

Oh yeah, I've seen that movie too. I guess there would be quite a few ways to sabotage a train ride for whatever reason and have it look like something else, maybe altering the train's route or something. A train setting could actually open up some cool possibilites, I think.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

迷探偵

Oh, and as an extension to trains... I hope that the scale of DGS will be wider, geographically speaking. With the country opening up not only to foreign powers, but also internally (travel was very limited in Edo and travelers were mostly people involved with Sankin Koutai) and the train as a new means of transportation, I'd love it if we also got out of the city, like somewhere in the country (not Kurain), or a different city / prefecture, and have movement actually be of importance to the mystery plot.

I don't need Nishimura Kyoutarou-esque alibi tricks though.

I'm not sure why, but I just had the idea to localize Susato's name as Susan Doyle. And she's totally going to be a novelist.

迷探偵

I totally first read that as Susan Boyle.

So, we have Magatama, bracelet, Mood Matrix. What's next?

迷探偵

Swords.

"Your emotions tell me you're lying"
- "No, I am not"
*draws sword*
- "Uh, okay, I lied!"

Aw, now our latest cheap tactic is coercion? I was hoping for bribery... then again, the prosecutor would probably win every case, unless s/he is actually broke.

GASP! A prosecutor who's broke!? That's unheard of!

But now I want a minigame of Ryuu in sword training. I would replay the heck out of DGS just for this.

Relatively more seriously, I was hoping the tutorial case would actually be a mock trial. No real stakes on the line, just easy going for this rookie almost-attorney... at first. Then, someone dies and someone else is blamed. No, I don't mean like an imitation of 5-3, where the culprit copies from a script. I mean that the trial on hand leads into a murder. The motive is the trial. Now who would actually kill because of a mock trial? Who cares; it fits right in.

And for some reason, I pictured that the prosecutor would be the victim... only to be replaced by the classic Payne-like prosecutor, who is an actual attorney, not an attorney in training. Somehow, Ryuu ends up as the defense 'cause he's important, I guess.

Now that I do think about it, there are quite a few challenges to writing with a law school student as protagonist. He's not actually completely qualified as a defense attorney. How will that work out if we're dealing with real trials?

You know, a Mario game!

I thought of a name for the main protagonist: Griffon Wright! It would fit in with the mythology theme that most of the main protagonists other than Edgeworth go by, plus it sounds cool! It also matches Phoenix' name being based on a legendary bird, well technically a Griffon is only half a bird, but still.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

You know, a Mario game!

I thought of a name for the main protagonist: Griffon Wright! It would fit in with the mythology theme that most of the main protagonists other than Edgeworth go by, plus it sounds cool! It also matches Phoenix' name being based on a legendary bird, well technically a Griffon is only half a bird, but still.
My Twitter Account

Art Person

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
AireyVerkhovensky wrote:
Susato will be a Holmes fan. Calling it now.

As far as a a DGS localisation will go, I'm actually really hoping they keep it in Japan. With Japanese names, even. It's not like it wouldn't make sense: they could just say that certain families (depending on who shows up) changed their names upon immigration to Japanifornia America. Alternately, Japanese given names and Western family names. Ryuunosuke Wright sounds really cool....

I prefer Perseus Wright myself. Or even Draco. And for the name of the game, I got an idea:
Ace Perseus Wright
Attorney
O R I G I N S

Perseus is just a placeholder.

Haha, I like the way you typed the title out. :redd:
Although, I do like the sound of "The Great Ace Attorney" better, it sounds more grand :udgey: .
Seeing as his name is "Ryuunosuke" as opposed to his descendand "Ryuuichi" (Phoenix) I'm sure they'll make the names reminiscent of each other in some way. (
Felix comes to mind, but that just sounds similar, no real meaning :hotti: ).

You know, a Mario game!

Mijumaru wrote:
GyakutenFanatic wrote:
AireyVerkhovensky wrote:
Susato will be a Holmes fan. Calling it now.

As far as a a DGS localisation will go, I'm actually really hoping they keep it in Japan. With Japanese names, even. It's not like it wouldn't make sense: they could just say that certain families (depending on who shows up) changed their names upon immigration to Japanifornia America. Alternately, Japanese given names and Western family names. Ryuunosuke Wright sounds really cool....

I prefer Perseus Wright myself. Or even Draco. And for the name of the game, I got an idea:
Ace Perseus Wright
Attorney
O R I G I N S

Perseus is just a placeholder.

Haha, I like the way you typed the title out. :redd:
Although, I do like the sound of "The Great Ace Attorney" better, it sounds more grand :udgey: .
Seeing as his name is "Ryuunosuke" as opposed to his descendand "Ryuuichi" (Phoenix) I'm sure they'll make the names reminiscent of each other in some way. (
Felix comes to mind, but that just sounds similar, no real meaning :hotti: ).

Like I said earlier, Griffon would work well as his name, as they're both related to mythology, and both are mythological birds, although a Griffon is only half a bird.
My Twitter Account

迷探偵

Lots of new info out now, but I am most interested in the new 'joint reasoning' system, where you need to keep Holmes' ever-developing deductions in check. It's not clear how this precisely works, but going by the screenshots, I guessed the following (quoting myself from another topic)
Ash wrote:
Guessing from the screenshots and what they say about it in the interview, I think the system is very much like the normal questioning mechanics and probably goes like this (note: this is not a translation, just my guess!)

1) Holmes goes on a reasoning rampage, comparable to the 'testifying' sections of the original games. Note that the camera actually moves during this section; in the interview they mention they choose to use 3D assets to keep up with Holmes' speedy deductions. There is probably a dynamic camera that changes per section of the deduction, emphasizing different things (you see more/other angles of the room they're in, things like the newspaper etc). This part is marked 推理中 / Deducing in the screenshots). The difference with 'normal' GS is that this is merely a thinking excercise for Holmes: it's just a theory based on the evidence he has seen and is thus not a testimony about something and actually closer to GK.

2) Naruhodo's part, the 'questioning' part (marked 検討中 / examining in the screenshots). Like always, you point out mistakes in Holmes' deductions (or keep him a bit more grounded to reality) by presenting evidence. Note that this time, objecting might not even be limited just to what Holmes says: there is a screenshot where they are examining the Russian person, so you might actually be able to object to all on the screen in relation to Holmes' deductions, similar to how you could perceive witnesses and not just object to their testimonies in GS4.

I do like the fundamental idea of the new system: the possibility of more fanciful deductions based on the evidence (even if the deductions aren't true / can't be true). I have often said in this topic I'd like such a system in a GS game, so I guess that's one wish fulfilled!

The first time I saw that screenshot of his deduction relating to the Russian man's beard, I thought to myself: "Mr. Holmes! How can you judge a man by the size of his beard!?"

Obviously, that's not what you're supposed to object to, but in the meantime, I will dream.

So what is the name of the revolutionary Holmes mentions? Dimitri Dimiglas? Demiglace? Demiglass? Well, no matter. I think I'm going to have fun deciphering the puns of these people's names. I already figured out that butler's name: Nosonaka -> noso nagai -> "slender and tall"

You know, a Mario game!

Doooon't ignoooore meeeee! :accordion-head: :accordion-head:

I said that Griffon Wright would make a good name for the main protagonist. It fits well with the mythology aspect of the character names, and it's also a mythical bird, just like a Phoenix. Well, a Griffon is only half a bird, but still.
My Twitter Account

Now, now. Just because no one replied doesn't mean we ignored you. :)

I figure the locale team will come up with some sort of mythic namesake, but it doesn't always have to be a bird. For someone burning with a heart of :justice: I'd think some sort of name suggesting :justice: but without directly saying :justice:, ya know?

Maybe when all of this is said and done, we'll be calling him Justin.

Now, I will resume figuring out what is Russian D's real surname. Demigrass? Dimigras? Demegras? Hm... Anyone here know some Russian?

Servant of the Goddess of Law

This game has managed to catch my interest completely....I am praying this gets localized! I would like to hope CAPCOM would find it in their heart to give us this game.

迷探偵

So what is the name of the revolutionary Holmes mentions? Dimitri Dimiglas? Demiglace? Demiglass? Well, no matter. I think I'm going to have fun deciphering the puns of these people's names. I already figured out that butler's name: Nosonaka -> noso nagai -> "slender and tall"

I'd go with Demitri Demiglace(yes, Demitri is also a valid spelling of the name). No, demiglace is not Russian, but given that it's an overly obvious pun, I'd just go with the overly obvious romanization. If it needs to be more "Russian-esque", maybe Demitri Demiglos? (or alternate spelling Dimitri Dimiglos)

I understand that this is mostly just a stereotype and I know next to nothing about Russian names, but I think very few Russian surnames end on a -s sound, if they exist at all (aren't most -ski, -ov, or -n and the female variants of those names?).

About Hosonaka, I say it's possible, but I'd like to see the whole name before guessing. It might be something completely different that becomes clear once you see the whole name.

Edit: soooo, people started to play Layton for the crossover (or the other way around), so are people going to go through the Canon for DGS? :D

Guys, I just realized that Dimitri is a common French name as well as Russian. If his last name is indeed Demiglace, after the rich demi-glace atop French cuisine, I think we have a pattern here.

This is the first time we will actually have a French chef in this series! He's merely disguised as a Russian because he's running from angry creditors!

...Or, I guess he could still be a Russian who happens to have a French parent. But he could still be chased by angry creditors. They're always around.

By the way, Ash, I've heard of the occasional Russian name that ends with -s. It's not too uncommon, but -sh is definitely more popular for some reason.

And do you mean when Sherlock Holmes could have met this strange Japanese young man and his beautiful assistant? I guess someone will, once we get enough info about what year they're set in.

Edit: Suddenly I want them to go with "Justin" for Ryuu. Then we can finally joke about the Wright line as being "Justin the Nick of time, am I Wright?"

Page 4 of 8 [ 283 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street