Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 2[ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Localizing this will be hard...Topic%20Title

New~

The game is TOO JAPANESE aesthetically. You can't just say they live in Japanifornia BY Japanese Immigrant (EUGH Monstrous Turnabout).

I was thinking about making Wright as non-Japanese living in Japan while the rest stays with their nationality. Any ideas how to tackle this issue?
Re: Localizing this will be hard...Topic%20Title

1000% Knight

In other thread, someone said to make Ryuunosuke's English surname Raito. This way it can stay in Japan with Ryuunosuke as Japanese, and then his family has their name Anglicized to Wright when they move to America. (Heck, it could be Anglicized when he goes to England to study.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Winter Flag Trademark

What Bad Player said. Some people has suggested for a Half-Japanese, Half-English name for Ryunnosuke Naruhodo.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

I am actually wondering, since this game is meant to be part of a series, then the translators really can't give an explanation for the different surnames/nationality until the sequel comes out, right? A lot of stuff could happen in future games.
Signature loading, please wait...

The Real Human Being

Eat your burgers Apollo.

Just don't change the Japanese names. Problem solved.

Winter Flag Trademark

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
Eat your hamburgers Apollo.

Fixed, if you don't mind. Also, it kinda sounds off-topic. Unless you meant a reference of a certain AA Comic.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Yeah, I agree with Bad Player... but I think they will, somehow, turn Japan into America, and leave the English Empire as it is, 'cause it's already "western".

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

迷探偵

Slammer wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Bad Player... but I think they will, somehow, turn Japan into America, and leave the English Empire as it is, 'cause it's already "western".

So then the game would about Americans going to England to learn the manners and the justice system of the modern, civilized world and the English would look down on the Americans as backward boors?

(Souseki would make a good Poe though...)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
Slammer wrote:

So then the game would about Americans going to England to learn the manners and the justice system of the modern, civilized world and the English would look down on the Americans as backward boors?

If the localization team is British, well, it'll become a plausible theory for real

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

1000% Knight

Slammer wrote:

That's not what I meant xP

DGS involves Ryuunosuke Raito, a Japanese student, going to England. (And then he loves the Western world so much he eventually moves to America, where his named is anglicized into Wright)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Ash wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Didn't they always? :D

Bah, if they're going to "localize" the English Empire, they might as well go all the way and we will have the great German Empire. Heil!
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Bad Player wrote:
Slammer wrote:

That's not what I meant xP

DGS involves Ryuunosuke Raito, a Japanese student, going to England. (And then he loves the Western world so much he eventually moves to America, where his named is anglicized into Wright)

I understood what you meant :P
But I think they'll make Japan to be American (as always).
I hope I'm wrong, 'cause I'd prefer your localization idea!

Surf's Up!

Slammer wrote:

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Bah, if they're going to "localize" the English Empire, they might as well go all the way and we will have the great German Empire. Heil!

It's "British" Empire, not English.

As for the localisation, I'm sure it will be fine... if Capcom plan on localising it, that is (I haven't actually heard any news if they are doing it or not).

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:

It's "British" Empire, not English.

As for the localisation, I'm sure it will be fine... if Capcom plan on localising it, that is (I haven't actually heard any news if they are doing it or not).

Yeah, sorry for that... I sometimes mistake English for British.
I think Capcom is already working on it, but they don't want to make an official announcement, until they almost finish the work. We just have to be patient

New~

I have this idea of making Ryunosuke is American/Western immigrant in Japan. Anyone in DGS that HAS yet to be clarified to had their non-Japanese blood WILL STAY JAPANESE.

They don't want to localize it... and guess: what might the problem be? Yeah,
D_Albertz wrote:
The game is TOO JAPANESE aesthetically.

I really hope nobody at Capcom thinks that way, because the reason is bullshit.
How is DGS more Japanese than the other AA games?

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Lusankya wrote:
I really hope nobody at Capcom thinks that way, because the reason is bullshit.
How is DGS more Japanese than the other AA games?

Take a good look at DGS (cover or trailer). Then take a good long look at PW:AA or AA5, then go back to DGS again.

I've seen you say this "how is x more japanese when it's a japanese game?" a couple of times in the past too. C'mon dude. Don't be a sophist.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

I don't think that the game 'being too japanese' is really a problem. We've got a lot of popular games in the west that take place in Japan. If they don't localize it, it'll be because they think that it won't be economically worthy.

Exactly. I think the game has a less appeal (in terms of marketing) unless Sherlock Holmes is a name that sells, but I bet the truth is simply that Capcom thinks/knows it'll sell less than DD did, and DD just "Basically reached expectations" so it's unprofitable to them.

I have no idea how well it did in Japan but I'm guessing worse than GS5.

though... didn't PLvPWAA sell quite well in the west? I know it bombed in japan, but I seem to recall it being just fine over here. If they advertized DGS by emphasising England and Sherlock Holmes as well as the main courtroom attractions in the west, I bet it'll be a home-run.

As for localizing it, of course they can't just keep the japanese names... otherwise it'll be a translation and not a localization. If people really want the japanese prose in english, why not play it in japanese? All that stands between you and the writing are symbols you can't fully read (assuming you don't read japanese). Translating something directly into english and retaining the japanese-specific jokes and names would be unprofessional IMO, not to mention you lose a big chunk of potential customers who don't like japanese-y made-in-japan games. (me, to some extent)

Do you see the black one...or the white?

And to think, this whole problem all started back when some translators wanted to localize this little niche game back in 2005 to be as American as possible. Took ten years before they finally couldn't use the excuse "local Japanese immigrants" to write around this.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

They already did that in 2013, with the Quiz DLC in GS5. They didn't release it in the west because it required "an in-depth knowledge of Japanese culture".

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/27/ace-attorney-dual-destinies-quiz-dlc-wont-be-released-in-the-west/

Do you see the black one...or the white?

But that's just a quiz, isn't it? I'm talking about a whole game here.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

In that case... yeah, it'd be the first time. But I bet DGS would sell better here in the west than it did in Japan.

Gardevoir lover

Slammer wrote:
In that case... yeah, it'd be the first time. But I bet DGS would sell better here in the west than it did in Japan.

Most likely.
Partly from people who bought it at launch telling people that Sherlock holmes is in it.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

...or when they see the cover on the storefront page or in gamestop with its appealing cover-art and title reading: "The Great Ace Attorney: The Adventures of Apollonix Wright and Sherlock Holmes"

Putting Sherlock Holmes's name in the title would be a great marketing strategy in itself, potentially attracting new players to the series as a whole, yeah.

dullahan1 wrote:
And to think, this whole problem all started back when some translators wanted to localize this little niche game back in 2005 to be as American as possible. Took ten years before they finally couldn't use the excuse "local Japanese immigrants" to write around this.

Maya as a noodle girl? :maya: Wouldn't really mind it, but alas, we cannot change the past.

Beware of the Dog

Seriously, I would even play it if there was a Japanese guy called Wright, or a Phoenix Wright ancestor called Naruhodou for no reason, I wouldn't even care because it seems to be great! And I think I can't be the only one with this attitude, can I? I mean yes, its strage, but it isn't more strange than Capcom translating some games into German and making LAME jokes and forgetting LETTERS all the time. (Capcom needs a beta :hotti: )
And yeah, "Americanizing" the games was a quite bad idea, at least it turned out pretty bad because given all those yakuza and noodles and yôkai festivals and mediums wearing kimonos you get the impression that there have to be more Japanese than Americans in LA. But man, it's kinda insane that more or less anyone here wants to have this game and would pay for it and they don't even care because they somehow thik it wouldn't be worth it.

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
But man, it's kinda insane that more or less anyone here wants to have this game and would pay for it and they don't even care because they somehow thik it wouldn't be worth it.

Well, fans are always going to buy the game, that much is obvious (especially if we're talking about people who like the games enough to be in a forum about it), and I'm pretty sure Capcom is aware of that. But AA is a mid-popularity franchise at best, so ,sadly, we aren't enough to guarantee good sales. They could always try and see if the Sherlock Holmes effect makes it popular or something, but I don't think Capcom is in a very risk-taking mood at the moment.

Beware of the Dog

luck wrote:
They could always try and see if the Sherlock Holmes effect makes it popular or something, but I don't think Capcom is in a very risk-taking mood at the moment.

Not really. Actually, Capcom seems to be in a "bringing Gyakuten Saiban to the West was the worst idea we ever had" mood, at least this is what I think. I mean, because we neither got a physical release nor any translations but the English one for DD. Maybe they think they have lost us by making Phoenix a hobo and replacing him with Apollo?

But that's just them being stingy because of their delicate financial situation. They tried to cheapen the process and just hoped that most of their players spoke English and didn't care about the cartridges. I'm not sure how that went but apparently they were satisfied with DD sales and they announced GS6's localization as soon as it was announced, so they don't really seem to think that there's no market for the series. And it's quite clear by now that they intend to milk every franchise they have until they are dry, so if they think we're going to buy it, then they're going to bring it. It's just that spin-off of an average-popularity franchise isn't really a safe bet.

Gardevoir lover

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
Maybe they think they have lost us by making Phoenix a hobo and replacing him with Apollo?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Beware of the Dog

That they have lost us or that they THINK they have lost us? :meekins:

Except DD had "more aggressive sales estimates" than usual and it "basically met those expectations" so by that logic it's sold more than Phoenix Wright or Apollo Justice which I recall were some of the best-selling ones both in Japan and in the west.

They don't think they have lost us, but they probably think the concept for DGS won't be profitable enough for the admittedly limited audience in the west. It makes sense for them to think that because DD was a hit, going with AA6 is a safe bet too, whereas especially when DGS was just revealed and in early stages in japan Capcom were probably too skeptical of it. Besides, the last thing they released from Takumi's team was Ghost Trick which bombed despite being a brilliant game.

And another thing. Remember how soon it was announced that Yamazaki and Co started working "full force on the next GS title"? The way translations work at Capcom right now is that the localization team works alongside with the game's development and translates as the game is being written, which means Janet and her team were most likely reserved for doing localization for that title before DGS was even announced.

Sligneris wrote:
Putting Sherlock Holmes's name in the title would be a great marketing strategy in itself, potentially attracting new players to the series as a whole, yeah.

"The Great Ace Attorney vs Sherlock Holmes"? Hell, I'd even take "Sherlock Holmes vs The Great Ace Attorney" if that's what it took to get it

JesusMonroe wrote:
Sligneris wrote:

"The Great Ace Attorney vs Sherlock Holmes"? Hell, I'd even take "Sherlock Holmes vs The Great Ace Attorney" if that's what it took to get it

"Phoenix Holmes vs Sherlock Wright" would be ok too :ron:

Last edited by Slammer on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great Revival

Sherlock Holmes vs Some Lawyer Guy

W101 and P101 player; Ace Attorney fan

Well, I comprehend the difficulty of attempting to translate this for sure.

I'd really say make Phoenix's ancestor an Jap-American student doing an international internship back home where relatives live, and then somehow wind up doing extensive law studies over in the UK. (In the dubverse, it's plausible for Wright's ancestor to be the child of a Caucasian and a Japanese parent.)

I think what definitely can sell the game well is the British aspects of the game, particularly Sherlock Holmes' and his deductive reasoning minigame for sure.

I'm all for dubbing this game, but if there's a larger complication I'm not really getting at, I'd love to be enlightened.

There is only one truth!

I think the only viable marketing strategy is to leave the game true to its origins and let the Ace Attorney franchise name and Sherlock Holmes carry the title. The Japanese-ness will simply have to be tolerated by western players. Too much of the game centrally involves historical facts, knowledge, and figures from Japan. Japan cannot be cut out or changed into Japanifornia.
Exhibit A: Case 4's defendant, Natsume Souseki.
Exhibit B: All of Case 1.
Exhibit C: The entire reform of the Japanese Justice system overarching plot (America has a western justice system with attorneys already!)

I sharply remember what happened to the English dub of Detective Conan. They tried to Americanize the anime by having it set in Japanifornia, just like Ace Attorney. It didn't work and was confusing as all hell because the setting was simply too Japanese to start with. The mismatch between the character behavior and the claimed setting was completely jarring. In short, moving the anime to Japanifornia to try to appeal to westerners was worse than just leaving it in Japan.

The difficulty in DGS's localization will be flavoring the dialogue so it sounds appropriately dated, and helping western players understand the Japanese themes and references, like who Souseki is. A game like this is too Japanese already to justify turning all the rice balls into sub sandwiches, so to speak. If anything that's part of its charm.
Page 1 of 2 [ 43 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street