Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 29 posts ]

Speculation: DGS2 at TGS2016?Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Wanted to make sure the "speculation" part got up front, lest I give folks a heart attack before they see the question mark... :yogi:

Anyway, TGS2016 is a few weeks off. Capcom's opened up their site for the show, but there's no sign of anything Ace Attorney - which doesn't actually mean that much in the grand scheme of things. Generally speaking, Capcom has at least one or two surprises they don't announce until closer to the show, and if memory serves, that's exactly what happened last year with AA6, which wasn't announced until early September.

So, the million dollar question! Will we see a DGS2 in a week or two's time?

Honestly, I can't say at this point. I felt fairly confident in AA6 getting announced last year, and while I'd still say it's more likely than not DGS2 shows up, I wouldn't consider it a lock by any means.

In the "reasons it might show up" corner:
  • This year is AA's 15th anniversary, and Eshiro made it pretty clear they still had plenty on the docket past AA6's release and the anime. Another game announcement would certainly fit the bill.
  • Takumi and the DGS team have (AFAIK) been pretty quiet since DGS' release. No word of major staff getting put on different projects or anything like that, and Takumi himself has only had a supervisory role on the anime.
  • Assuming Capcom still wants to stick to a roughly annualized schedule for the AA game - which certainly seemed to be the plan when the separate DGS/AA6 teams were formed - then that suggests DGS2 in 2017, and unless it wound up releasing at the tail end of the year September is the traditional announce period for an AA game.
  • DGS2 likely wouldn't require much engine or fundamental work relative to DGS1, as it has both that and AA6 to draw on.
  • Finally, DGS1 certainly wasn't shy about setting up a sequel, going so far as to include two fully-modeled characters for a single scene and teasing "their story" in the artbook. And Takumi ended the gallery DLC with a note saying he and the team were looking forward to Ryuunosuke's next adventure. All this suggests that DGS2 likely had some preproduction work happening even during DGS1's polish stages.

So why might it not show up? Well...
  • This seems a little silly to say given this is Capcom we're talking about here, but it's entirely possible they'll want to tap the brakes on series releases. AA6 came out 11 months after DGS, the shortest gap in the series (excluding PLvsPW-AA5, which was Level-5's doing.) Too many games in too short a period - particularly games that share 90% of their gameplay - is a good way to start to burn out consumer interest.
  • Related to the above: AA6 and (especially) DGS didn't set the sales charts on fire, or at least not compared to AA4 and AA5. That's not something that's generally improved by shoving out the next entry sooner rather than later.
  • And going off the above: if DGS was designed as a trilogy but DGS1's sales weren't up to Capcom's standards, it's possible the series would be reworked from 3 games to 2, which would require a decent amount of reworking plans and scripts, which in turn would prolong production.

That's a lot of speculation all around, and ultimately I'd put 60-40 odds on DGS2 popping up in a few weeks and making this topic redundant. In other words - I wouldn't be surprised, but I definitely don't feel like it's a sure thing.

But who knows - maybe I'm being pessimistic! What do y'all think - what's going on with DGS2 and AA in general for the rest of the year?
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Speculation: DGS2 at TGS2016?Topic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Bolt Storm wrote:
DGS2 likely wouldn't require much engine or fundamental work relative to DGS1, as it has both that and AA6 to draw on.

So here's the thing about this point, which is why I'm not inclined to believe we'll see it just yet. I know that AAI2 came out in 2011 when the DS was sort of disappearing slowly, but granted this was the other team making it and the series was less prone to go for technical prowess back then than it is now I would say.

The alleged "NX" is coming out next year and without a doubt it will be a new handheld of some sort going by Nintendo's order of release, shifting focus away from 3DS. So I'm inclined to believe DGS2 is actually going to be made for NX, and most likely that means reworking several things related to the engine to make it stand out unless they see it as enough to simply go for the same graphics it had on 3DS but blow it up into HD like the iOS port of Dual Destinies.

We'll see, but I think Gyaktuen is in a transition-period to shift to the upcoming consoles in the coming years and that I believe is going to postpone the release from if it had been made for 3DS.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

元・超会社員級の管理人

See, while AA is certainly going to NX assuming it's got a handheld component as heavily rumored, I'm not convinced DGS2 would be the game to make the jump. A platform shift would mean increased expenses and production time, and given DGS didn't sell as well as AA5 or AA6, I find it a bit strange that Capcom would want to invest that much in DGS2, especially with NX as an unknown quantity. (Remember how a lot of devs got gun-shy of the 3DS at first? Or, well, the Wii U always?)

I feel like an AA7 which is a soft reboot of the series would be more likely to be the series' big NX debut. Unless they decide to port/"HD Remaster" some of the 3DS games first.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

1000% Knight

I was wondering about this too, after seeing Capcom's TGS announcement the other day. They didn't put DGS2 (or any AA game) in there... but if they want to announce it at TGS or something, obviously they aren't going to announce it beforehand. If they want to keep the yearly AA releases that they talked about before, I think the next AA game will be announced at TGS, whether it's DGS2 or not.

Fingers crossed, though.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Bolt Storm wrote:
See, while AA is certainly going to NX assuming it's got a handheld component as heavily rumored, I'm not convinced DGS2 would be the game to make the jump. A platform shift would mean increased expenses and production time, and given DGS didn't sell as well as AA5 or AA6, I find it a bit strange that Capcom would want to invest that much in DGS2, especially with NX as an unknown quantity. (Remember how a lot of devs got gun-shy of the 3DS at first? Or, well, the Wii U always?)

I feel like an AA7 which is a soft reboot of the series would be more likely to be the series' big NX debut. Unless they decide to port/"HD Remaster" some of the 3DS games first.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I have conflicted feelings about is AA7 being a soft reboot. I actually want it to conclude the "sequel trilogy", but that's a tricky thing, because I don't know if AA6 already does that or not -- considering AA4 might be, technically, considered the beginning of that trilogy. I personally consider it a transition game between the "original trilogy" and "sequel trilogy" (still waiting on that Mia prequel trilogy)

What I mean is I want AA7 to be the new Trials and Tribulations of this new era, because AA6 feels like the new Justice for All. I haven't played it tho, so maybe it does feel like it concludes the "Apollo trilogy" (AA4, AA5, AA6.) Because you know, rule of three.

My opinion on this might change this weekend or the next one when I dive into AA6 tho.

1000% Knight

So... What are our chances of a surprise DGS2 announced at TGS?

元・超会社員級の管理人

At this point if it's gonna be there it'll be as a "one more thing" in the AA panel. Something like a logo reveal/rival silhouette and "more coming next year, please look forward to it."

Wooster wrote:

迷探偵

Bolt Storm wrote:
At this point if it's gonna be there it'll be as a "one more thing" in the AA panel. Something like a logo reveal/rival silhouette and "more coming next year, please look forward to it."

You mean DGS2 will be a Columbo crossover, right? :D (and that the mystery behind the Sign of Four will span generations!)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

You mean DGS2 will be a Columbo crossover, right? :D (and that the mystery behind the Sign of Four will span generations!)

I mean, if Takumi wants to do Columbo, I'm all in on that. Heck, throw out the overarching storyline and make Dai Gyakuten Saiban an official series of Shuu Takumi's crossover mystery fanfics starring his OC Ryuunosuke.

Wooster wrote:

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I thought that was what DGS was already. (not the Columbo crossover, but his OC fanfic)
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Can you even make fanfics when you're the author...? :ron:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Bad Player wrote:

Fan-fic writers are authors of their fan-fiction :P
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Fan-fic writers are authors of their fan-fiction :P

i meant the author of the work that the fanfic is being based on, not the author of the fanfic itself

元・超会社員級の管理人

Bolt Storm wrote:

Called the "one more thing", but swing and a miss on the reveal content. Oh well. Going by the trailer,

Spoiler: DGS1-5 + DGS2?
RIP Yuujin probably.

Wooster wrote:

Spoiler: DGSes
>~< I cracked when I saw that grave. I dun wan it to be her dad; maybe it's Asougi. Besides, I'm sure there was something between Susato and him. A lady like her doesn't simply weep for any associate of her father's.

What's the chance that Mr. Naruhodo will for once hit headlines in this game?

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

迷探偵

Bolt Storm wrote:
Oh well. Going by the trailer,

RIP Yuujin probably.

Spoiler:
In his testament, Yujin reveals the truth behind Asogi's exchange program and a horrifying plan that threatens the world (Japan and England), which prompts Mikoto to go back and kick some ass with Susato Throws. Also, Asogi is revealed to be still alive and the great mastermind behind everything. No wait, he's actually Hurt Vortex. Ever saw those two in the same room at the same time?!

#asogilives is my new Apollo's Dad now.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler: DGSes
>~< I cracked when I saw that grave. I dun wan it to be her dad; maybe it's Asougi. Besides, I'm sure there was something between Susato and him. A lady like her doesn't simply weep for any associate of her father's.

What's the chance that Mr. Naruhodo will for once hit headlines in this game?

Spoiler:
There was definitely something between them. Notice how she called him, as compared to Ryunosuke?

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

RIP Yuujin probably.

Spoiler:
In his testament, Yujin reveals the truth behind Asogi's exchange program and a horrifying plan that threatens the world (Japan and England), which prompts Mikoto to go back and kick some ass with Susato Throws. Also, Asogi is revealed to be still alive and the great mastermind behind everything. No wait, he's actually Hurt Vortex. Ever saw those two in the same room at the same time?!

If we're going for semi-crack dramatic cases we want to see in DGS sequels,

Spoiler: DGS1-5
Give me a flashback case to The Hound of the Baskervilles with John Watson as the player character!

#watsondoesn'tlivebutthatneverstoppedmiaorgregory

Wooster wrote:

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

RIP Yuujin probably.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
But that means it won't be resolved until DGS3, where it turns out he's Hurt Vortex who is actually Moriarty but with more Phineas Fogg. Also, they'll somehow end up in India.

Bolt Storm wrote:
If we're going for semi-crack dramatic cases we want to see in DGS sequels,

Spoiler: DGS1-5
Give me a flashback case to The Hound of the Baskervilles with John Watson as the player character!

#watsondoesn'tlivebutthatneverstoppedmiaorgregory

Spoiler:
With Yuujin as assistant?

迷探偵

Spoiler:
Asogi reveals his real name is actually Karuma: his sword's name is Asogi. Dundundun!

1000% Knight

i don't even :meekins:

Ace Fangirl

Okay but what I want most of all:

Spoiler:
Mycroft in DGS2. Think about it, you guys. Mycroft Holmes as the defendant. Sherlock being incredibly reluctant to help out with the case because 'if Mycroft is so Great, surely he could prove his innocence by himself and not even being in prison should be able to stop him', but then in the end, he pulls through for his brother anyway. And Iris calling him Uncle Mycroft, teaming up with him to troll Sherlock, aahh...

迷探偵

Meowzy wrote:

Spoiler:
Mycroft in DGS2. Think about it, you guys. Mycroft Holmes as the defendant. Sherlock being incredibly reluctant to help out with the case because 'if Mycroft is so Great, surely he could prove his innocence by himself and not even being in prison should be able to stop him', but then in the end, he pulls through for his brother anyway. And Iris calling him Uncle Mycroft, teaming up with him to troll Sherlock, aahh...

Spoiler:
I can imagine Mycroft defending and solving everything himself in a trial. By which I mean: he'd let it go to trial on purpose. He can out-think anyone. The only thing he won't do, is actively look for evidence. But that's brought to him during a trial. So you'd arrive there as Ryunosuke with all the evidence and stuff, and suddenly Mycroft would solve everything before you can even press anyone :P

Ace Fangirl

Ash wrote:
Meowzy wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I can imagine Mycroft defending and solving everything himself in a trial. By which I mean: he'd let it go to trial on purpose. He can out-think anyone. The only thing he won't do, is actively look for evidence. But that's brought to him during a trial. So you'd arrive there as Ryunosuke with all the evidence and stuff, and suddenly Mycroft would solve everything before you can even press anyone :P

Spoiler:
Hahahaaa, DGS would be turning the concept of AA games as we know them upside-down once again if they make us thoroughly investigate a case and then when it finally goes to trial, the trial ends within two minutes because the defendant himself tells the full story of what actually happened.

The Enigma

Spoiler:
Calling it now. Yuujin is Moriarty

I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

1000% Knight

Carryover predictions from DGS1:
Spoiler:
Jezail Brett as a victim and/or Karma as a murder weapon. Possibly in the same case.

um...hi your honour?

Guys...I know I saw someone say this on another DGS thread...but I actually have an idea.
It's kinda based around case one so yeah...

And it could be a bit obvious to those who figured it themselves.

Spoiler:
Okay then! Watson was on the Morse code disk made by Crogray. And so was Asougi, Gregson and A. Shasha.
Hosonaga was assigned to SS. Alclaire as Asougi's body guard in case he gets assassinated.
Okay, so what happened to Watson in the first case? He was assassinated.
That was Jezail's motive to assassinate Watson.
Jezail was probably an undercover assassin sent by [ :mattphone: ] to assassinate those on the disks.
The message was sent to Japan and Watson and Asougi was in Japan (and coincidentally in the same university who coincidentally dined at the same restaurant that was coincidentally was over seared by an undercover detective)
But what about Gregson? He was in Britain.
That can't be explained just yet....not enough info....
Since Jezail was a foregner she can get away with murder.

But what is the point of this conspiracy I'll try to dig into this if I can.

um...hi your honour?

ok Doods...would it be cool if the first De Killer was....

Spoiler:
Jack the ripper? I know it sounds far fetched since the first De Killer appeared at the 20th century...but how about that since Jack's true identity remained a secret, it was never documented after being found out by RYyuunosuke and Holmes (If that will happen in DGS2) because the case at hand might have a bad long lasting affect that it has to be completely removed and not mentioned obscuring into myth and legend and "The first De Killer" would have to be the first one known to the world.

how's that?

The Enigma

Spoiler:
To further screw with that fine line between fiction and reality like they did with Natsume Soseki, they should throw Arthur Conan Doyle in there, whether as a witness, cameo, defendant, or whatever.

You know, for the hell of it.

should we start an official speculation thread?
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

um...hi your honour?

Bramimond wrote:
Spoiler:
To further screw with that fine line between fiction and reality like they did with Natsume Soseki, they should throw Arthur Conan Doyle in there, whether as a witness, cameo, defendant, or whatever.

You know, for the hell of it.

should we start an official speculation thread?

Arthur Conan Doyle being in...would be the ULTIMATE mind screw.
They should add in another fictional detective if you ask me.
But which one existing in that period of time would assist Holmes and Ryu?
Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street