Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 1[ 25 posts ]

Amazon.co.jp reviews of Spirit of JusticeTopic%20Title

I've noticed that Dai Gyakuten Saiban had a topic about Amazon.co.jp's reviews of it's respective title, so I thought about posting their reviews here.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AB%E3%8 ... 6FJHZ8WH1H

As was the case with DGS, people here don't really seem to pleased, most of them giving it one star.
Re: Amazon.co.jp reviews of Spirit of JusticeTopic%20Title

Mia Payne

Darth Wiader wrote:
I've noticed that Dai Gyakuten Saiban had a topic about Amazon.co.jp's reviews of it's respective title, so I thought about posting their reviews here.

As was the case with DGS, people here don't really seem to pleased, most of them giving it one star.

Yup. Apparently Amazon.co.jp has a fuckton of trolls

Yabba Dabba Doo

Darth Wiader wrote:

I've learned to ignore these reviews, as it's mostly just butthurt people. I trust Famitsu way more than Amazon.

Derper

Depends on how you want to define the word most. I've been looking at it once and a while since yesterday and saw that it won't budge from 3 - 3.5 stars because a lot of people are rating it with 3 - 5 stars.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Reglare wrote:
Depends on how you want to define the word most. I've been looking at it once and a while since yesterday and saw that it won't budge from 3 - 3.5 stars because a lot of people are rating it with 3 - 5 stars.

In case I wasn't clear, I was referring to the 1-2 star reviews. I translated a few, and they're not really the best reviews out there.

Derper

Thunder84 wrote:
Reglare wrote:

In case I wasn't clear, I was referring to the 1-2 star reviews. I translated a few, and they're not really the best reviews out there.

That was meant as a reply to the topic poster.

He said that most of the reviewers are giving 1-stars when there are more 4 and 5 star reviews even if you add up the 1 and 2 star reviews, not counting the 3-star reviews that are still considered positive even if it's in the middle.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

They aren't reviews per-se. They're ratings with comments attatched.

A few do seem like legitimate issues like how several posts bring up that the pacing sucks, but then one will say Phoenix sucks now and another will say the opposite. I wouldn't read too much into them either way, but it's interesting to see what japanese fans say.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Yabba Dabba Doo

Reglare wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
Reglare wrote:

He said that most of the reviewers are giving 1-stars when there are more 4 and 5 star reviews even if you add up the 1 and 2 star reviews, not counting the 3-star reviews that are still considered positive even if it's in the middle.

Ah. Well, there are a lot of good reviews on there.

A strong Phoenix x Maya shipper

Reglare wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
Reglare wrote:

I feel like those Amazon review rankings are similar to those on NicoNico video streaming site. Image
So if a product is good, they give it 5 stars.
If a product is generally good but has prominent flaws, they gave it 4 stars.
If they didn't like a product, they give it 3 stars.
If they disliked a product they give it 2 stars and if they hated it they give it 1 star.

Sure there are trolls everywhere but I don't remember any news about the amazon reviews being so off for a product.
I can't say I'm so sure though.

The reason DGS got bad reviews was mostly people being displeased with the ending and ignoring everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here.
Signature loading, please wait...

It seems people were more hung up on the beginning which is apparently a poor start that sets it off with a bad taste.

From what I've heard the ending is potentially divisive but very rounded and conclusive, perhaps to the point where this could easily be the final game in the main series if they decided to stop there. (TBH, DD could too, but it left something to be desired outside of Athena's story).

DGS's poor reviews is understandable. It wasn't marketed as the first part of a trilogy but apparently ends like the first Lord of The Rings with the basic plot concluded but all the subplots and every character arc left dangling. I have a feeling if there ever is a DGS123 that it will be fantastic yet again though.

Yabba Dabba Doo

linkenski wrote:
It seems people were more hung up on the beginning which is apparently a poor start that sets it off with a bad taste.

From what I've heard the ending is potentially divisive but very rounded and conclusive, perhaps to the point where this could easily be the final game in the main series if they decided to stop there. (TBH, DD could too, but it left something to be desired outside of Athena's story).

DGS's poor reviews is understandable. It wasn't marketed as the first part of a trilogy but apparently ends like the first Lord of The Rings with the basic plot concluded but all the subplots and every character arc left dangling. I have a feeling if there ever is a DGS123 that it will be fantastic yet again though.

I had no idea people didn't like the beginning. I thought the first few cases were fantastic, except for maybe the pacing.

That's the impression I'm getting as well. I have no idea how my own experience will shape up as I usually tend to diverge from the common consensus with the series.

Judging from what I've seen of case 1 though it seems decent, but I think maybe it's the nature of the Khura'in premise that turns some off. The criticism I've seen usually have to do with A) The stupidity of the "lawyers need to die" stuff or Rayfa apparently sounding like a broken record about "You lawyers are not needed here!" and B) A couple of those Amazon reviews seem to mention Phoenix is too incompetent even though it's a new court and all that.

Yabba Dabba Doo

linkenski wrote:
That's the impression I'm getting as well. I have no idea how my own experience will shape up as I usually tend to diverge from the common consensus with the series.

Judging from what I've seen of case 1 though it seems decent, but I think maybe it's the nature of the Khura'in premise that turns some off. The criticism I've seen usually have to do with A) The stupidity of the "lawyers need to die" stuff or Rayfa apparently sounding like a broken record about "You lawyers are not needed here!" and B) A couple of those Amazon reviews seem to merntion Phoenix is too incompetent even though it's a new court and all that.

So, in other words, people are complaining that they have to solve the case themselves rather than Phoenix doing it :yogi:.

Thunder84 wrote:
So, in other words, people are complaining that they have to solve the case themselves rather than Phoenix doing it .

Not quite. People complain about Phoenix being a flawed lawyer in SoJ or DD because he's a really masterful-looking one in the past part of 4 - 4. Some people consider any failures/quirkiness on Phoenix's part as a form of character regression.

I think that Phoenix being less-than-confident makes a lot of sense here in SoJ though, and I think saying his character simply regressed is somewhat facile especially if you don't mention the plausibility that the seven year time-skip where he literally played the piano badly and cheated at poker for a living possibly having something to do with it.

linkenski wrote:
A) The stupidity of the "lawyers need to die" stuff or Rayfa apparently sounding like a broken record about "You lawyers are not needed here!"

I just want to say that the spark notes version that Bolt gave of the Khura'in court culture in his AA6 live stream actually sounded really, extremely cool to me. Obviously though, I'm not privy to the minutia of the dialogue surrounding it. There very well could be flubs in the way its presented.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Doctor Nanjo wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
So, in other words, people are complaining that they have to solve the case themselves rather than Phoenix doing it .

Not quite. People complain about Phoenix being a flawed lawyer in SoJ or DD because he's a really masterful-looking one in the past part of 4 - 4. Some people consider any failures/quirkiness on Phoenix's part as a form of character regression.

I think that Phoenix being less-than-confident makes a lot of sense here in SoJ though, and I think saying his character simply regressed is somewhat facile especially if you don't mention the plausibility that the seven year time-skip where he literally played the piano badly and cheated at poker for a living possibly having something to do with it.

I personally think that a big reason why he was so masterful in 4-4 was because he spent 7 years solving that case. It's not like he decided on a whim during the Vera Misham trial "Oh, I'm gonna go and find out about what happened 7 years ago."

Thunder84 wrote:
I personally think that a big reason why he was so masterful in 4-4 was because he spent 7 years solving that case. It's not like he decided on a whim during the Vera Misham trial "Oh, I'm gonna go and find out about what happened 7 years ago."

Yeah, for sure, but

Spoiler: 4-4 Spoilers, lol
The past part of 4-4. The Magnifi Gramarye case where Phoenix faces off against young Klavier Gavin.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, and Phoenix is considered bad in 6-1 by the reviews because he's actually just horrendously awful by series standards. I'm not sure.

Thunder84 wrote:
So, in other words, people are complaining that they have to solve the case themselves rather than Phoenix doing it :yogi:.

I'm actually kind of with you there.

There is probably a gameplay-related reason why Phoenix seemed more mature and collected when speaking to him during investigations in DD rather than playing as him, as well.

I still think they could do with all his "NOOOOOO" and etc. And admittedly they are catering to our nostalgia by not reinventing some of his damage animations and such. It's all of his "what? Is this the end??" And flinch animations that create the impression that he's just as much of a rookie as he was in the trilogy. Someone also made the point that in AJAA's flashback, Phoenix doesn't ever use those damage animations to show how much more confident he is.

But honestly I don't mind it too much. I am not usually that caught up in long-spanning canons and the first glimpse of DD back in 2012 made me excited because it looked exactly like the Phoenix I knew and loved and I didn't really like the direction his arc took with AJAA.

I feel as though the new team has taken a fine albeit safe middle-road with Nick and I am okay with that in particular. At least his endeavours in Khura'in will spark some newfound energy to his otherwise stilted arc. His story is technically over all things considered.

...I just want the writing quality to improve...

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
Judging from what I've seen of case 1 though it seems decent, but I think maybe it's the nature of the Khura'in premise that turns some off. The criticism I've seen usually have to do with A) The stupidity of the "lawyers need to die" stuff or Rayfa apparently sounding like a broken record about "You lawyers are not needed here!" and B) A couple of those Amazon reviews seem to mention Phoenix is too incompetent even though it's a new court and all that.

As for A, Kurain as a country is idiotic. Like, every bit as bad as I expected. But it's also just the setting, and the plot itself seems separable. As for Rayfa, while she's a little repetitive, she's 14, and I thought her dialogue reflected that.
As for B... in case 1, for every issue they go "Mr. Wright, do you know the answer?" "Of course I do! (...Or not. It's just a bluff.)" It feels like it's every single time... It makes the dialogue feel predictable and repetitive. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember the dialogue in the other games being that clear-cut about Nick's bluffing.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

It happens a few times in DD too, but it sounds like they oversaturated it this time, or maybe it's one particular writer who writes him like that, that happened to be handling all the Phoenix court segments.

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:

As for A, Kurain as a country is idiotic. Like, every bit as bad as I expected. But it's also just the setting, and the plot itself seems separable. As for Rayfa, while she's a little repetitive, she's 14, and I thought her dialogue reflected that.
As for B... in case 1, for every issue they go "Mr. Wright, do you know the answer?" "Of course I do! (...Or not. It's just a bluff.)" It feels like it's every single time... It makes the dialogue feel predictable and repetitive. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember the dialogue in the other games being that clear-cut about Nick's bluffing.

If it's every time, then it's definitely a problem. I definitely remember a few times in the trilogy where it happened, though

Nick: Did you see anyone on your way to the crime scene?
Me: Ah, I get it! He wants to see if Ini saw Pearls on the way because if she didn't, that confirms she's lying
Judge: Is this relevant?
Nick: Of course it is! (Actually I have no clue where I'm going with this lol)
Me: >.>

Mia Payne

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Definitely misremembering. Also nah, Khura'in from waht I've seen is a very well though out setting

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:

As someone who has avoided spoilers altogether so far, I just want to confirm here. Is it a case of overdoing it so much that it becomes annoying or that it becomes memetic? I have seen plenty of playthrough videos of other games where the "yes but really no" gag runs rampant with the fanbase. Depending on context, it could either be pretty funny or just dull.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I'm just imagining the "bluffing" comments are as memetic as in DD. The judge, the witnesses, Edgeworth and Phoenix himself seemed to refer to the "bluffing" technique very often and... meta-like almost, like a "Haha, remember how the writing always made him bluff?"

I think the "meme" was seen the first time in T&T or so, then AJAA made a lot of stabs at it by making Nick a poker-player "because it requires bluffing... geddit?" and then DD was the comeback and not ashamed of letting you know it was partly for the fans, so there was more of a memetic feel to it. IMO they overdid all the character gimmicks of "bluff" and "I'm fine" by the end of the game, but it was largely harmless. As Monroe points out, the self-referentialness was already in the trilogy. I think I can chalk this up to a case of language use, since the word "bluffing" seems to be the word that is repeated even if the fact that Phoenix was often leaping before thinking was brought up plenty of times before the game dubbed him Phoenix "Bluff" Wright.

Anyhow, it was only an issue in the first case of this game, was it not? Every impression I read seem to reaffirm the game starts getting better the further you progress.

1000% Knight

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
As someone who has avoided spoilers altogether so far, I just want to confirm here. Is it a case of overdoing it so much that it becomes annoying or that it becomes memetic? I have seen plenty of playthrough videos of other games where the "yes but really no" gag runs rampant with the fanbase. Depending on context, it could either be pretty funny or just dull.

To me it was annoying. It made the writing seem dull and repetitive.

Yeah he bluffed a ton in the original trilogy, but he also didn't literally think "lol i'm bluffing" every single time he was asked a question.

I've only just finished the investigation of case 3, so can't say whether it's case 1 only or not yet.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)