Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 2 of 2[ 73 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Episode 1: "The First Turnabout"Topic%20Title

A Seeker of Truth

I enjoyed the episode; if I wasn't already an ardent Ace Attorney fan this wouldn't impress me too much one way or the other, but it was good :trucy: The opening was kinda meh; the music was only alright, and the running animation was a tad awkward :payne: The rest of the episode was pretty good however; the animation was fluid and expressive enough, that good ol' AA humor was spot on, and the pacing was pretty good, considering the source material. The first case for PW was probably the weakest in the series due to how short and straightforward it was- which is fair, as it really was only meant as a 'tutorial' of sorts- so there really was only so much that could be done if it were to be faithful to the source material while still remaining interesting.

All in all, it was okay; a solid 7, 7.5 out of 10. Alright as a first episode; given the series 26 episode run-time and the fact that the cases only get better from here, I feel optimistic that the series as a whole will improve from here on out :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Does anyone know if the humor of the japanese version of the game was there or not? As i understand it, the japanese version has a lot of play on words jokes.

Sylph of Doom

adit2789 wrote:
Does anyone know if the humor of the japanese version of the game was there or not? As i understand it, the japanese version has a lot of play on words jokes.

The play on words is there with the Japanese names for one track (I suppose if someone knew Japanese well enough) and English on another track, making it just like the games in that there are puns throughout, don't worry. :)

Innocent Butz!! :gant:
Yours in Eternity

Spider wrote:
adit2789 wrote:

The play on words is there with the Japanese names for one track (I suppose if someone knew Japanese well enough) and English on another track, making it just like the games in that there are puns throughout, don't worry. :)

Innocent Butz!! :gant:

Haha. Well, at least we know they got the humor of the conversations down correctly... As someone who doesn't speak japanese, it was hard to tell...

Racing through the sky like a Missile

No worries in the department of Japanese humor. It's your usual silly Gyakuten Saiban shenanigans, but now in full animation.

I liked the little reference to Monsieur Auguste Rodin. Larry is quite the artist.

I'm actually disappointed we never got alternative sprites for Larry slumping over in a chair. That is exactly the kind of thing he'd do.

And the 14 bailiffs, damn.

And the judge playing with his gavel.

And I suppose the gusts were a bit excessive, but then again, Blackquill is canon.

And Mia stomping on Nick's foot and slapping him with the autopsy was icing on the cake.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Call me James

Just watched an anime channel review the first episode. Guy could see it was basically a tutorial, since he was aware it was from a game, and liked it, despite never having any connection with the series beyond knowing Phoenix's name and what the franchise is.

Why I'm mentioning this is because of what he said later on. Since he's never played the games, he's unaware of the storyline and thinks that it'll be just, as he puts it, "case after case with not much character development". Which he would be fine with, due to how funny it was. The last thing he said was "It's very goofy and over-the-top, it's not meant to be a serious courtroom drama. I dunno if they'll ever explore anything like what if he has to defend someone who's actually guilty, or what if he has to go through moral dilemmas.".

My sides seriously entered orbit. And it makes me wonder even more about Farewell, my Turnabout :think-pw:
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

I'm Lauren Order, and I'm fine!

This was a bit of a shaky beginning to the series, but it has potential to be better. Speaking as a long-time AA fan as well as an anime fan, it had elements from the game and elements from anime tropes that made it an enjoyable watch. I'm willing to see where it goes, and even if it's bad I can't see myself not finishing the season. The animation quality was the main thing that I was disappointed by. It seems like I just barely heard of this anime coming out, so I'm hoping the series wasn't too rushed. Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens outside of case 1-1, which honestly wasn't one that I liked that much even when playing the game, so I'm thinking it should get better. The best part of this episode was definitely Larry; he seemed spot-on. :butzthumbs:
Don't be a Phony Phanty... save Bum Rap Rhiny today!

The Real Human Being

Maya wasn't in the episode,
2/10 I liked the ending credits.

DoMaya wrote:
Maya wasn't in the episode,
2/10 I liked the ending credits.

While I understand everyone has their opinion, isn't 2/10 a bit harsh? Or was it supposed to be a joke :ron:

Anyone else felt that the comedy the games are known for was adapted in such a way that it seemed forced? For example, at one point Phoenix/Naruhodo says that everyone should get together and think on how the witness's testimony was contradictory.

That moment seemed so forced that it killed the momentum and tension that had been building to that point. As a consequence, the following sequences felt out of place and "Rushed" because they are trying to go back to the "tension" vibe

Master of sharp things!

I enjoyed it overall. The animation was kind of rough here and there, especially the running animations in the intro - you'd think that's where they'd put a lot of budget given that it's supposed to get people hooked, but whatever - and the CG in the courtroom scenes was particularly jarring in some spots, but otherwise it was fine. Some of the character designs are a bit off, mostly in the faces I'd say, but some were spot on. Larry and Mia in particular are probably the best transitioned of the bunch, with Phoenix close behind them. Payne probably suffered the worst so far, with his oddly-animated face, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

Story-wise, I liked that they both kept close to the script and took a couple of liberties in trimming out the fat from the game version of the case, though my one big disappointment there is the alteration of the toupee-tossing scene. And while Sawhit being able to knock Phoenix down with his rebuttal was dumb, it still fit the tone of the series so I didn't mind it so much on a second watch.

As for the continuity, I really liked the fact that not only do we finally see that Phoenix has an apartment and rides a bike to work (though I think we've known the latter from one of the info books?), there are little bits of foreshadowing here and there for the longtime fans. You can clearly see Phoenix's old pink sweater in his cramped apartment, and there are also cameos of Trucy, Apollo and Athena in the chalk drawings Phoenix skips over in the opening - I like to think they were drawn by the real characters rather than just a production in-joke, but admittedly that's just my personal headcanon.

If there's anything I didn't like, it's the music; Not that most of it is bad, but rather that they only used two of the tracks from the games and went with a mostly original score. Time will tell how that will work out in the long run, but for the first episode I was a tad disappointed. I'm also not too crazy at some of the unnecessary changes, like the added fence that seems very out of place and swapping the prosecution's and defense's locations in the courtroom, but I'm guessing that was to keep the dynamic camera angles as close to the game representation as possible. I would've enjoyed having the audience in the back as well, though I suppose a blank wall is easier to animate.

But as I said before, I did enjoy it overall. It's nice to see something you enjoy represented in a different medium, and there's still 25 episodes left to see if it does as well a job of transitioning the game cases to anime form. And who knows? Maybe this was just early installment weirdness, and the series will pick up some steam when it gets to the really good stuff.

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Just watched an anime channel review the first episode. Guy could see it was basically a tutorial, since he was aware it was from a game, and liked it, despite never having any connection with the series beyond knowing Phoenix's name and what the franchise is.

Why I'm mentioning this is because of what he said later on. Since he's never played the games, he's unaware of the storyline and thinks that it'll be just, as he puts it, "case after case with not much character development". Which he would be fine with, due to how funny it was. The last thing he said was "It's very goofy and over-the-top, it's not meant to be a serious courtroom drama. I dunno if they'll ever explore anything like what if he has to defend someone who's actually guilty, or what if he has to go through moral dilemmas.".

My sides seriously entered orbit. And it makes me wonder even more about Farewell, my Turnabout :think-pw:

Just out of curiosity, that wouldn't happen to be LuffyTheDragonSlayer, would it? I was watching some YouTube reviews this morning and his sounded a lot like this.

Gardevoir lover

I haven't sat down and watched it yet but some people have noted that there's a shot with foreshadowing to future events, like the steel samurai, Trucy and a rocket ship.
...So does this mean they plan to do up to DD?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Master of sharp things!

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
I haven't sat down and watched it yet but some people have noted that there's a shot with foreshadowing to future events, like the steel samurai, Trucy and a rocket ship.
...So does this mean they plan to do up to DD?

That shot in particular is in the opening credits, and it's barely a second of a childlike chalk drawing on the ground - not really foreshadowing as much as a wink to the fandom, I'd say. And as far as we know right now, the anime is going to cover only the first and second games over 26 episodes. Nothing beyond that yet, though I would imagine that if it did well another season/series wouldn't be out of the question.

The law evolves with mankind

I hope they will continue up to Dual Destinies!
What good is faith without doubt?
What good is right without wrong?
What good is hope without despair?

Everything exists with a reason. Don't stay sad. Look at the brighter side.

Call me James

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
Professor Yoshi wrote:

Just out of curiosity, that wouldn't happen to be LuffyTheDragonSlayer, would it? I was watching some YouTube reviews this morning and his sounded a lot like this.

Yup, watched a few to see opinions from people who've not experienced the games. His made me laugh, seeing as how he pretty much called 2-4 in a single moment but doesn't think something like it will happen.

I'm wondering how will people who haven't played the games react when Mia comes back. It's probably the most shocking thing to happen in the franchise if you think about it. I'm afraid some people might be turned off by the sudden inclusion of paranormal stuff in what seemed to be an over-the-top courtroom drama

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Speaking of... interesting reviews, this has been making the rounds on Tumblr.

http://nazenberg.tumblr.com/post/142236 ... ifucker420

Spoiler: I can't even.

cyanoscarlet wrote:

Imagine her face when Phoenix will cross-examine Polly the parrot...

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Call me James

cyanoscarlet wrote:

Had to look simply out of curiosity. Mardy English Feminist tries way too hard to demean the episode. Wowser.

Gardevoir lover

Slammer wrote:
cyanoscarlet wrote:

Imagine her face when Phoenix will cross-examine Polly the parrot...

That's gonna be hilarious.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Regarding the complaints that Mia's death was kind of handled in a "oh hey, she dies btw" kind of manner, I'd like to point out that the original version of The First Turnabout did the exact same thing at the very end. Admittedly, they didn't show her corpse until the next case, but that's a minor detail.

Dragongirl

Bolt Storm wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for episode one of the Ace Attorney anime, "The First Turnabout"!

Summary wrote:
Fresh-faced attorney Phoenix Wright finds himself in the middle of a murder case for his first trial. The defendant is his old friend Larry Butz, accused of murdering his girlfriend, the model Cindy Stone. Prosecutor Winston Payne calls Frank Sahwit to the stand; Sahwit claims he saw Larry flee the scene. This is news to Phoenix, who nevertheless believes in Larry's innocence and starts preparing a counterattack through testimony, evidence, and contradictions.

The episode will be available on Crunchyroll at 4 AM Pacific on April 2nd.

:pearl-blush: I was so happy for this Anime series to be coming out! I can't wait to see more episode every week.
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

Last edited by trigunlover11 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Programmer

Remember, the game teased the same thing at the end of the episode. Maybe not with visuals, but the ending monologe was taken verbatim from the game.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Dragongirl

:omg:
So cool! For this Anime series to finally being made with more to come, you know. Only once a week from the episodes to watch in Japanese with English subtitles to soon be watching it in Dubbed in the future. So cool how it's like from the video game itself, and half being my fan fiction too. Nice style to it and we knew that it was going to be made sooner or later, and it did. I'm sure enjoying every episode for the first so far to already be loving it.

My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

The cape is self-fluttering

Okay, finally caught the free version on Crunchyroll.

I liked it just fine. I thought they handled things well, between the story and the things they had to substitute for gameplay. I liked seeing Payne and Phoenix walk around the courtroom; felt more realistic to me. Of course there were some over-the-top things, but it's anime so I expect some over the-top-things. If anything, it didn't seem any crazier than the game.

What I didn't expect were the flashbacks of the 4th grade trial. Phoenix does mention Larry being the reason he became a lawyer, but in the game, it wasn't introduced until Turnabout Sisters (even if it was just a shot of 9-year-old Phoenix crying). It did make sense that the courtroom setting would remind Phoenix of the 4th grade trial, though, so I was cool with that.

And unless I'm reading it wrong, the second flashback ended with a reference to Edgeworth? (There was a purplish-red-magenta clad arm pointing at the end, but in the next scene, Sahwit was raging about something, so I wasn't sure if he had interrupted the memory or not)

I laughed the shot of the "RYU" sweater in Phoenix's apartment.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A New Chapter of Trials!

Just watched the free version earlier today. It was fine for what it was, and I wasn't expecting very good animation quality from the trailers, but it got the job done. I mean, there is only so interesting you can make The First Turnabout though, so of course it wasn't AMAZING. I'm hoping Turnabout Sisters will be more interesting, since that's a pretty great case.

(When Sahwit flung Phoenix against the wall with his voice I was like YES I AM GLAD THESE ANIME ADAPTORS KNOW HOW WORDS WORK IN AA.)
Eureka!

Gettin' Old!

Tilemahosbra wrote:
Finished watching it.

Well... It was okay, nothing too good or bad.
Also.

Spoiler: Image

This guy certaintly looks familiar, though I'm not sure why.

Victim from Case 1 of AAI1? Jacques Portsman's detective assistant?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

What is my liiiife?!?

I always find it weird how people judge anime first episodes. It's not like western TV pilots where they aim to grab you, they just set the scene.

I don't see people complaining about Raditz's appearence in DBZ, or how nothing really happened in the first episode of Tenchi Muyo, so it's weird how it's happening here. Give it a chance please!

I've finally been able to watch the whole episode and it's honestly better than I expected after reading all the negative feedback. I was a little worried about the animation after that awkward running scene in the opening, but it's actually just fine. Granted, it could be better, but this is low budget so it wasn't going to blow anyone's mind. I doubt the art would turn anyone off if they like the setting. I don't know what were they thinking when they decided to make the court 3D, though. It looks ridiculously out of place.

I like that they mixed the over-the-top feeling of the game, with some classic courtroom drama stuff (the lawyers walking around and all that). Maybe the pacing was a little too quick, but the First Case doesn't really deserve more than one episode. The two things I missed were the toupee-tossing and Payne being referred as the Rookie Killer. Other than that, a pretty good summary of the case.

A Kirby and AA fan

luck wrote:
Payne being referred as the Rookie Killer

That's what I was missing! I knew something about Payne that was tugging at me, like "Something's not right"

The video game boy; the one who wins

I hadn't even planned to watch this, but it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. That being said, I have no interest in continuing to watch the series. Especially not the dramatic and serious stuff. But it was entertaining, and Phoenix on a bicycle was disproportionately amusing to me, same with when he was explaining the different timezones very pedagogically. Larry and Mia transitioned rather well into anime characters. The lack of toupee tossing bugged me. I really like how they had stuff from the game such as the time + location being written out with the clattering sound, and the objection shout bubble.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

I liked the episode, though I have to agree with the general opinion of it being a bit underwhelming. I had been waiting for an Ace Attorney anime for seven years, so I guess nothing could live up to the wait...

Whose idea was it to remake the games rather than make original AA content? We could have had a Mia and Phoenix prequel or an in-between-games original series with Phoenix and Maya!

Just seems to be an unusual choice because of the few surprises which they have in store for us if they continue to stay true to the source material...
Sig.

A Kirby and AA fan

DefenceLawyer wrote:
We could have had a Mia and Phoenix prequel

Like what exactly? We've seen Mia's first and second case, and we've seen Phoenix's first case. Between Mia's second case and Phoenix's first, I don't think they had any cases together?

Nurio wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:
We could have had a Mia and Phoenix prequel

Like what exactly? We've seen Mia's first and second case, and we've seen Phoenix's first case. Between Mia's second case and Phoenix's first, I don't think they had any cases together?

Good point; I didn't really think that one through.

I think that I was just encouraging creativity... But ah well, having the anime the way it is is better than nothing!
Sig.
Page 2 of 2 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo