Board index » Phoenix Wright » World's Fair (DGS2)

Page 1 of 1[ 6 posts ]

Episode three discussion threadTopic%20Title

sans.

This is the discussion thread for DGS2 episode three, The Return of the Great Departed Spirit! Please use spoiler tags when discussing any plot points of the episode that haven't been officially announced.
Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode three discussion threadTopic%20Title

sans.

Due to the interconnected nature of DGS2, it's not really a surprise that the individual case threads are getting a bit neglected... but man, I want to talk about this case.

I think this is ultimately my favorite case in the game; it has everything you want from an AA case (good impossible mystery, memorable witnesses, strong backstory, crackerjack climax) and from a DGS case (some great Joint Reasoning segments, a super strong sense of place, a fun jury.) Cases 4 and 5 of course have most of the major plot reveals and everything associated with that, but I feel like this case keeps things at a semi-reasonable scale while still tying into the bigger picture and being exciting.

In fact, if I had to take a guess... I feel like this case was probably planned to be the final case of DGS2 in the event of a trilogy.

Spoiler: 2-3
Obviously they would need to shuffle around some plot stuff, but the core reveals - the Professor was a Japanese man, Asougi is alive, Dr. Sithe is the killer - all feel like stuff that would've been the conclusion to a middle chapter focused on the World's Fair.

Dr. Sithe in particular is a little odd in 2-3 as it stands today, because catching her is an electric moment [god when the pursuit overture kicks in for the first time], but everything about her character screams that she was supposed to have more to do before going off to jail. She seems set up to be an ongoing rival throughout a game whose loyalties and morality could remain somewhat in doubt, but here they had to fast-forward to her being the killer.

Asougi's reveal here would also set up a potential DGS3 better. One of my main issues with DGS2's character writing is how quickly Ryuu and Susato get over Asougi's revival - if the plan was originally for him to return at the end of game 2 and be around for all of game 3, then Takumi would have had much more time to work through this character dynamic. Instead, his reveal feels a little off today ("oh I guess he's amnesiac, we won't pursue this at all" followed by "oh Asougi said he had something to do, guess we'll wait without trying to contact him for nine days."

Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Knight of the Court

Bolt Storm wrote:

Dr. Sithe in particular is a little odd in 2-3 as it stands today, because catching her is an electric moment [god when the pursuit overture kicks in for the first time], but everything about her character screams that she was supposed to have more to do before going off to jail. She seems set up to be an ongoing rival throughout a game whose loyalties and morality could remain somewhat in doubt, but here they had to fast-forward to her being the killer.

I haven't even seen any of this case yet apart from spoilers on the culprit, and I agree with you.

My first reaction to seeing the spoilers was "Wait, they made Courtney Sithe the murder in her first appearance? Really?!"

I had her pegged as a potential villain from the moment I saw her, but pre-release material built her up to be a major recurring character. I was thinking Case 4 killer at the very least, maybe even overall Big Bad. I can definitely see her role being rushed when the trilogy got squashed down to a duology. "Main coroner at Scotland Yard who's pushing for innovation in forensic science" deserves way better than being a one-off "killer of the week".

Something something please localize DGS.

Who is this guy?

Actually, I think case 2-3 should be the last case for the second part of "trilogy". And in the real second game, Ryutarou (who is this guy, by the way, still THE MISTERY :edgey: ) was created to play much bigger role than he plays now in DGS2. He should be standing in court instead of Ryuunosuke, because Ryuu was forbidden from standing in court for 6 moths. And in duration of those 6 months, some cases should be existed, in which Sithe pulled some strings against our company.

Knight of the Court

Just watched the end of the Day 1 trial. And HOLY CRAP WOW!

Spoiler: DGS2-3
The "sadistic choice" of "You either prove your client's life's work is a lie, or he goes to jail for murder". Ryunosuke can't make the choice because "either way, he's betraying his client", and then...

"It's not about what you're betraying. It's about what you're protecting."

SUSATO!!! And she Susato-drops some sense into him!!

And then namedropping Enoch Drebber, who I noticed didn't appear in the first day of investigation at all.

I love this case already, and it's only the FIRST DAY. (I don't think I'm even at the "really awesome Joint Reasoning" big yet) What is it with Case 3 in a lot of the recent AA games being really amazing? I loved AAI2-3, DGS1-3 and SoJ-3, and now this.
Something something please localize DGS.

I write to share my madness with all.

Case 3 has definitely been the craziest case so far. And can I just say? Benjamin Dobindough has to be the funniest defendant I've ever seen. He's annoying, but in that endearing way that Ron Delite from 3-2 was. And his theme is quirky and goofy just like he is. And I was caught off guard when...

Spoiler:
You go to his cell in the during the Day 2 investigation and saw that he covered the wall of the cell in equations. Related: I can't imagine Benjamin hanging around Barok in university. That mental image is just too much for me.

Whatever else you might say about Courtney Sithe, she is a fascinating character with a haunting theme. And Enoch... I don't know what I can say about Enoch without spoiling, so back in the folder I go.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure Enoch is a steampunk android, with how he's always creaking. Also: What in the flying hell was that second Joint Reasoning? Since when can Sherlock Holmes control gravity? XD And the end of the investigation... wow,
that was a real shock.

Well, there are my scattered thoughts about Case 3. Might share more later.
I fell into fanfic hell many years ago. This place is my home now.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » World's Fair (DGS2)