Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 26 posts ]

Too Much Edgeworth? (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

stirring

Okay, so is it me, or has Edgeworth showed up as a prosecutor one too many times? It's not like he showed up a lot in the Phoenix arc, just that.. well, it felt like one too many times. I can get why he would've been the "secret" prosecutor at the end of Ace Attourney 2, but it just didn't have the impact Manfred von Karma had, to me. I was hoping for an original character to pop up and expand the known PW universe, but ... it was just Edgeworth, who we'd 'fought' against before.

And then we see him in his younger years in GS3, and that felt sort of "eh, whatever".

But anyways, was it that way on purpose, as in, they wanted Edgeworth to be in it a lot or what? I used to always see the Phoenix arc as seperate stories just going along his career, but now that we have the Odoroki arc coming up, I feel somewhat different. Was this sort of Edgeworth's story as well, as in, we were meant to see Nick and Edgey through a lot? Were they all supposed to be intertwined together or something and that was as far as it was meant to go?
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy
Re: Too Much Edgeworth? (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

raging klavier crush

Quote:
Was this sort of Edgeworth's story as well, as in, we were meant to see Nick and Edgey through a lot? Were they all supposed to be intertwined together or something and that was as far as it was meant to go?

Well, that's how I always saw it. The cases and games don't exist in a bubble, they build upon each other. I've always seen JfA as a whole as pretty much the fallout of the first game, both thematically (Phoenix having to rethink his attitude about his job from GS1), and concretely (Franziska coming from for revenge, the entire Edgeworth subplot.) The threads of character development extend through all three games. Edgeworth is going to keep popping up because he shares such strong connections with the rest of the cast - he's the very reason Phoenix became a lawyer, and all that. And each of his appearances continues to expand his character and relationships. If Edgeworth was thrown in JfA just because, that's one thing, but he had a very important role to play that was specific to him, and we saw how much he had grown since we'd seen him last, and how his relationship and impact on Phoenix continues to evolve.

I've also always pretty much considered Edgeworth to be the main character of the first game. It more or less centers around his story.

stirring

Raelle wrote:
Quote:
Was this sort of Edgeworth's story as well, as in, we were meant to see Nick and Edgey through a lot? Were they all supposed to be intertwined together or something and that was as far as it was meant to go?

and we saw how much he had grown since we'd seen him last, and how his relationship and impact on Phoenix continues to evolve.

But he's boring. ;-;

I will protect you....Fräulein

I like him.... Accordion Head
Thanks DarzieP for this sweet sig and avatar!!!!!
Gamertag:Gameplayer291

I really liked it, when Edgeworth your one and only rival made his comeback in JFA.

She knows she's hot...

I didn't mind Edgeworth, since he seemed to be the perfect foil for Phoenix. Not to mention that he visibly grows with each appearance he seems to make.
Proud Phoenix/Maya shipper! Image (props to LySs for the smiley!)

MatsudaBlack wrote:
I really liked it, when Edgeworth your one and only rival made his comeback in JFA.

same here!

I always thought that Manfred was the dullest of all the prosecutors. His character had very little depth to me - it seemed like he was just there to fit the role of a stereotypical "villain". Beating him was satisfying, of course, but because Manfred's character seemed so unrealistic, it wasn't the same as beating Edgeworth, or, say, Franziska.

Edgeworth does appear a lot, but I really had no qualms with it. I enjoyed him as a prosecutor as much as I did a character in general - because of both his mannerisms in court, and just his general way of going about things. He seemed more real to me, and, thus, a better opponent than Manfred. I honestly had more fun beating him in 1-2 after his "You're probably innocent, but I'm going to get a guilty verdict because that's how I roll," speech than I did catching Manfred on the brink of getting away with murder.

Now, you must understand that I played the games backwards - JFA first, then AA. Thus, my first experience with Edgeworth as a prosecutor was in 2-4: when his depth as a character had already been established, but before I knew his backstory. Having not won any sympathy points with me yet, I was more or less irritated by him, and was rather disappointed when I found out someone had the gall to shoot Franziska von Karma - it was obvious to me who was going to replace her.

But, as it turned out, Edgeworth far outshined Franziska. Don't get me wrong, I love Miss von Karma to death, but there was just something about Edgeworth's representation as a prosecutor that made that case all the more fun. And that opinion carried over when I played AA.

Bottom line: I like Edgeworth best in court - therefore, the more cases with him as prosecutor, the better. Edgy

NOTE: Having not yet played GS3, I can't speak on Godot. =/

Worthy's Girl. Den Mother. PxE Shipper

Location: Somewhere In Dream Time (Maine) having tea with Miles Edgeworth and discussing fanfiction.

Ace Prosecutor wrote:
MatsudaBlack wrote:

same here!

And I make three to agree!!!! Edgy Thinks In my opinion, there can't be TOO much Edgeworth! :^)
Kickin' AWESOME Sig By Elriel! Avatar Artwork by Enrychan (Commission)! Thanks! :)
"Bravo! Another triumph for deductive reasoning!"--SH (Michael Caine)

Yiu are a foolish fool, fool.

Edgeworth is just as important to the GS/PW series as Phoenix is. Without him, you wouldn't have a good rival. Everyone else compared to Phoenix seems too... Mismatched. Phoenix and Edgeworth just plain make an intresting story. Personally, every case that hasn't involved Edgeworth has seemed pale in comparison. I haven't played GS3 yet, so I can't say for sure, but personally, Edgeworth is the best Prosecutor in the series.

Master of sharp things!

If Edgeworth's appearances were just filler for the purpose of just including him, then you could say there's a bit much of him. His appearances in the first two games, though, and the last case of the third are all story-driven, so his apparrent overuse can be excused in the case of the great plots Edgeworth gets weaved into.

Also, with Phoenix being the ever-vigilant defense attorney, it only feels right to expand the ever-changing life of the one we call his "rival", the person who pretty much motivated him into law to begin with. Just dropping him like a stone from the storyline wouldn't have been right, and it would be rather useless to keep a Prosecutor around and not have them prosecute once in a while.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I can understand people not liking Edgeworth for a variety of reasons. But to say there's "too much" of him is kind of like saying there's "too much" Maya, or Gumshoe. Technically, Gumshoe has been involved in more cases than Edgeworth. But it's hard to complain when they're both main characters in the series.

According to Takumi's remarks on the old GS2 homepage, Edgeworth was originally going to be the main prosecutor of GS2 as well. So he's actually around even less than he might have been. Edgy
ImageImage

Chaos wolf

Manfred's appearance was as a climax to the first game, to prove that you might have all the answers (supposedly), but in the end his arrogance was his downfall and Phoenix managed to figure out all the clues.

Of course in the DS version, von Karma's almost indestructable aura was triumphed by case 5 which took you along a road so far travelled that by the end, you really did celebrate taking Gant down because that really was one tough SoB to crack.

Back to the topic... Edgeworth is a vital part of the world, and given we knew he hadn't lost at the start of PWAA, then throwing in a case against Mia makes you think because surely... she can't lose a case? The ending is of course the only way it could have gone...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

360 gamertag: Mayhem64

stirring

Croik wrote:
I can understand people not liking Edgeworth for a variety of reasons. But to say there's "too much" of him is kind of like saying there's "too much" Maya, or Gumshoe. Technically, Gumshoe has been involved in more cases than Edgeworth. But it's hard to complain when they're both main characters in the series.

The thing is, though, I've never been able to see Edgeworth as part of the "main cast". To me, he's always been on some other part of the character spectrum... like Racer X. So, to me, seeing Edgeworth as a prosecutor after the first game got boring fast. Not to mention I just really like variety, gameplay-wise.. Detective Gumshoe

Pineapple Box: I never said Manfred was some totally awesome addition, but I liked having a good ol' fashioned "goddamn I hate you!"-esque character to, well, hate during gameplay.

Rookie Illuminati Member

Edgeworth is so Gundam Wing vanilla...I can't bring myself to like him. I (almost) always root for the baddies...

ROCK AND ROLL! HIGH SPEED!

Location: Inside Edgey's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell him I'm here!

Aww I like Edgeworth! He had the most character development! His return in GS2 was to contrast the man he used to be.

I personally feel that you can never have too much Edgeworth!
My art thread!
My sprite thread! Calando in progress
Phoenix Wright and co.:Ace Mythbusters! Myth 2 finished
First AA fanfic: Childhood Turnabout (finished)
And my devart site
My billboard signature! *gets pelted with tomatoes*

~We will become one~

Location: ~I am here, I can definitely feel you, we are here in the same sunny spot~

Oh yeah and they haven't used Phoenix too many times? Or how about Maya? Or even Mia?

Seriously, one of the main characters needs to be included a lot.

raging klavier crush

Holy Hell wrote:
The thing is, though, I've never been able to see Edgeworth as part of the "main cast". To me, he's always been on some other part of the character spectrum... like Racer X. So, to me, seeing Edgeworth as a prosecutor after the first game got boring fast.

I don't quite understand this since, again, Edgeworth's story was the central focus on the first game (and arguably the second one), so with all of that and his actual story role--the reason Phoenix became a lawyer--him not being part of the "main cast"... how did you come to that conclusion?

I understand that you don't like Edgeworth, and you think he's boring, but I don't think it's possible to say there wasn't justification to keep bringing him back. He continues to develop, he has very strong ties to the rest of the cast, and personally, I think he's the most interesting character in the series.

Science: It's cuter than ever

Considering Edgeworth has (arguably) the most character development of any character, more focus is put on his past than any character, and has a major impact on the lives of pretty much all the other major characters...yeah, I'd say he's a main character.

俺の黄金の魔女

Also, it's worth pointing out that he's only been a prosectutor twice after the first game, in terms of playability. Or is the complaint that he...still exists as a prosecutor? Maybe it's just me as an Edgeworth fan, but I get no sense of overload. He's obviously a popular character that the writers continue to work into the plot, probably partially because of his popularity, but also because he has major ties with the other characters--Phoenix, Gumshoe, and Franziska to name just a few.

It would be more weird if he just vanished with nary a mention, to be honest.

stirring

Raelle wrote:
Holy Hell wrote:
The thing is, though, I've never been able to see Edgeworth as part of the "main cast". To me, he's always been on some other part of the character spectrum... like Racer X. So, to me, seeing Edgeworth as a prosecutor after the first game got boring fast.

I don't quite understand this since, again, Edgeworth's story was the central focus on the first game (and arguably the second one), so with all of that and his actual story role--the reason Phoenix became a lawyer--him not being part of the "main cast"... how did you come to that conclusion?

Well, perhaps not "main cast". I was thinking more along the lines of the characters Phoenix buddies around with, which is what I usually refer to as "main cast".

Anyways,I didn't see Edgeworth as the main character, because I was too busy playing as Phoenix. Eh? Sure, there's lots of backstory for him and the like, but I didn't feel like this was Metal Gear Solid 2, where we were seeing Snake- the main character- from another's perspective. Everyone had lots of impact on each other, Edgeworth maybe more so than others, but he's not the face of the series. I'm pretty sure the face of the series, Phoenix, is the main character (to answer that question someone else was saying).

Quote:
I understand that you don't like Edgeworth, and you think he's boring, but I don't think it's possible to say there wasn't justification to keep bringing him back. He continues to develop, he has very strong ties to the rest of the cast, and personally, I think he's the most interesting character in the series.

Well, the thing is, sure, it'd make sense to bring back Edgeworth.. but I wanted the story to branch out. Now bear with me that I'm hardly organizing my thoughts and this is rather hard to explain or get out what I mean exactly ... It's not that I'm saying there's too much of Edgeworth abound, just that I wanted to see more of other characters. I liked him originally, but after the first game, I could care less about his overall development. I basically wanted the second game to go in the path the third was, with the focus on the other parts of the character spectrum. *shrugs*

Although, I don't know anymore. I've honestly spent more time HEARING about the characters and the game than PLAYING it. I can barely remember what the actual character's personalities are, because any time I think about them, I just think of the jokes we have where we take smilies and shove amusing things into their mouths.

raging klavier crush

Holy Hell wrote:
Well, perhaps not "main cast". I was thinking more along the lines of the characters Phoenix buddies around with, which is what I usually refer to as "main cast".

Anyways,I didn't see Edgeworth as the main character, because I was too busy playing as Phoenix. Eh? Sure, there's lots of backstory for him and the like, but I didn't feel like this was Metal Gear Solid 2, where we were seeing Snake- the main character- from another's perspective. Everyone had lots of impact on each other, Edgeworth maybe more so than others, but he's not the face of the series. I'm pretty sure the face of the series, Phoenix, is the main character (to answer that question someone else was saying).

Oh, Edgeworth definitely isn't the "main character" of the series as a whole. But in the first game in particular, I actually think of Phoenix as the hero--but not the "main character". (He totally is, however, in JfA.) But the story of the first game was about Edgeworth, Edgeworth's development as a character, what's caused him to be the way he is, and how he begins to change. Watching him evolve is the continuously developing link throughout the entire game. Phoenix became involved in the first place in order to help Edgeworth.

To make another analogy, it's a bit like The Great Gatsby, where you see the story through the perspective of Nick, and Nick has his role to play, but the story itself is not primarily about Nick.

(The sequels, however, are another story altogether.)

Quote:
Well, the thing is, sure, it'd make sense to bring back Edgeworth.. but I wanted the story to branch out. Now bear with me that I'm hardly organizing my thoughts and this is rather hard to explain or get out what I mean exactly ... It's not that I'm saying there's too much of Edgeworth abound, just that I wanted to see more of other characters. I liked him originally, but after the first game, I could care less about his overall development. I basically wanted the second game to go in the path the third was, with the focus on the other parts of the character spectrum. *shrugs*

Well, Edgeworth is only in three out of nine cases after the first game, and different main prosecutors are introduced, so I think it's fairly safe to say the story "branched out". And considering with each appearance we see Edgeworth's development expanded and exploring new territory with the character and how he affects everyone else, adopting different ways to look at him--the story itself does keep growing, even if the focus itself remains fairly consistent. I don't think that consistency is a weakness.

Also, the first game illustrated Edgeworth's backstory and the turning points that caused him to pull back from his downward spiral. It was a new beginning for him. To suddenly shift the focus without resolving what ultimately became of him (even as a subplot), really seems like dropping the ball to me. The thing is, Edgeworth's development isn't in a bubble. The way he grows affects everyone around him, Phoenix in particular, but even the rest of the cast--Maya, Gumshoe, Franziska--have a stake in Edgeworth, the same as they all do in each other. Edgeworth plays an absolutely vital role in exploring Franziska's character, for example, and I love that the cast in this game is so interconnected. To focus on Franziska or to focus on Phoenix just inherently means to also focus on Edgeworth, as JfA demonstrates.

stirring

Okay, then. I'll have to go through the games a second time, now that I've read that. I probably missed somethign along the way. Sadshoe

OH SHI-

Quote:
I basically wanted the second game to go in the path the third was, with the focus on the other parts of the character spectrum. *shrugs*

Then play the third game. Problem solved. Larry

On a serious, "this is just my opinion" note, I think one of the great things about the PW series is it's lack of characters. When you don't have a million forgettable characters, you can spend more time developing the characters you do have, making for more interesting personalities and overall more enjoyable gameplay. I think having a wider variety of prosecutors would be like, say, Legend of Zelda. You beat one prosecutor, great! Move on to the next and never hear anything about the old one ever again. Each "enemy" is given time to develop as a character, thus leading to the final smackdown where said prosecutor learns, or leaves. It gives so much more depth to the game when you're not beating faceless hordes of law-practitioners with a big stick.

EdgeworthFanGirl wrote:
Ace Prosecutor wrote:
MatsudaBlack wrote:

same here!

And I make three to agree!!!! Edgy Thinks In my opinion, there can't be TOO much Edgeworth! :^)

Yeah!

ROCK AND ROLL! HIGH SPEED!

Location: Inside Edgey's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell him I'm here!

Anyway, his role has been shrinking since game 1.
My art thread!
My sprite thread! Calando in progress
Phoenix Wright and co.:Ace Mythbusters! Myth 2 finished
First AA fanfic: Childhood Turnabout (finished)
And my devart site
My billboard signature! *gets pelted with tomatoes*
Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby