Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: What Case Do You Like/Love that Everybody Else Hates?Topic%20Title

JesusMonroe wrote:
The only character development I recall is from Edgeworth. I don't remember it being that funny, but it's been a while since playing so I'll take your word on that. I never really liked Maya so the interactions don't add much to the case for me. The monkey blocking the head was annoying (and could've been explained if they added some electric fences near the head. Also, this was the third inanimate object that told time in this game) but I also really hated the steak plate. "It takes fifteen minutes to eat a steak so I can't be the killer." WHAT? Who takes fifteen minutes to eat a t-bone? What kind of dumb alibi is that? And people thought it was credible? They also could've explained the missing steak bone by saying they burned the bone after eating the meal.

I think the only character development in 1-3 was from Edgeworth. And we could technically call it not character development, but maybe just a break of his patience with the witnesses. I wouldn't blame him blowing a fuse with those jerks. Maya doesn't act too differently from 1-2, well she kind of does, but given the premise of 1-2, we can easily say that her behavior in 1-2 was not the real one, so no need to suddenly feel there was a big change in her in 1-3.

The monkey head was stupid because there was grass everywhere and as we all know, humans are incapable of walking on non-paved ground. Oh no, wait, we can. The third object telling us the time? I remember the Thinker Statues, but since it's technically one and the same item, I count it as one...

Well, I've seen people eat stuff fast... but then, it was a T-Bone Steak. I'm pretty sure Sal would never eat that fast, he'd savor it. Also, of course it was credible. I mean, this is the same court that thought it was absolutely credible that Edgeworth shot with is left hand, wiped his fingerprints off and proceeded to put it into his right hand, hence the fingerprints and the photo of the shooting do not match... that was a low point of 1-4...

C-A

I can't be the only one with this ship?

CatMuto wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Well, I've seen people eat stuff fast... but then, it was a T-Bone Steak. I'm pretty sure Sal would never eat that fast, he'd savor it. Also, of course it was credible. I mean, this is the same court that thought it was absolutely credible that Edgeworth shot with is left hand, wiped his fingerprints off and proceeded to put it into his right hand, hence the fingerprints and the photo of the shooting do not match... that was a low point of 1-4...

C-A

I can't believe Von Karma got away with that explanation

Your Honor! There is a contradiction!

EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

C-A

Von Karma could shave Phoenix's head smack dab in the middle of court and get away with it.

EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:

It's Ace Attorney... they actually think it's important with which hand you shoot a gun. It actually isn't. Granted, shooting with your non-dominant hand may give you an injury in your arm, since your muscles aren't as strong as in your dominant hand/arm, but it wouldn't make a difference. You can still shoot, and kill someone, with your non-dominant hand. It's silly that the AA-verse it's impossible to shoot with your non-dominant hand.

C-A

Servant of the Goddess of Law

Honestly for me the entire game of Justice For All, I get a lot of flack for putting the game itself so high on my best Ace Attorney game list.

Gammalad wrote:
Honestly for me the entire game of Justice For All, I get a lot of flack for putting the game itself so high on my best Ace Attorney game list.

JFA isn't that bad. Okay, Case 2-1 should have become a mistrial during the preliminary (YOU CAN'T WRITE ANYTHING IF YOU BROKE YOUR F***ING NECK!), Case 2-2 was okay, although a bit predictable... 2-3 has its problems, having a sympathetic murderer, but failing at really making me care for him... and 2-4... well... good message, terrible execution for me... but it's still an overall decent game. :gant:

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

CatMuto wrote:
Gammalad wrote:

JFA isn't that bad. Okay, Case 2-1 should have become a mistrial during the preliminary (YOU CAN'T WRITE ANYTHING IF YOU BROKE YOUR F***ING NECK!), Case 2-2 was okay, although a bit predictable... 2-3 has its problems, having a sympathetic murderer, but failing at really making me care for him... and 2-4... well... good message, terrible execution for me... but it's still an overall decent game. :gant:

C-A

I know, right? The thing about the broken neck should have been the contradiction, but instead the game thinks that a misspelled name is the bigger contradiction! I tried several different points in the testimony to point out that contradiction, because I assumed that's what you had to do! Ace Attorney logic is insane.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

I like JFA but it's my least favorite because of the lack of an overarching theme or story

The video game boy; the one who wins

I actually like the fact that it hasn't got an overarching story, it's like, I'd just played through the first game and wanted more of it, and that's what I got. It's just... new cases, no more, no less. I don't know, I like that.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Ace Explorer

dimentiorules wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Gammalad wrote:

C-A

I know, right? The thing about the broken neck should have been the contradiction, but instead the game thinks that a misspelled name is the bigger contradiction! I tried several different points in the testimony to point out that contradiction, because I assumed that's what you had to do! Ace Attorney logic is insane.

Well, this is the same series that agrees that a different autopsy report resolves a contradiction (1-2).
"Oh, she might have lived for a couple minutes? She totally wrote that note after all!"
Well? Are we going or what?

Do people *hate* Turnabout Airlines? I've never heard positive things about it but it's actually a pretty damn good case

Eh, it's... okay, I only played it once or maybe twice, but, well... I think it's a pretty forgettable case.
Nothing in it really stood out, positively or negatively.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

If it wasn't for Zinc Leblanc, that case would be enjoyable, but his presence ruins the whole experience. Zinc Leblanc is my least favorite character in the entire series. He has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and is completely devoid of anything likeable. He's ugly, he's arrogant, he's annoying, his damage animation makes me want to gouge my eyes out, I hate hate hate hate HATE that guy!
My Twitter Account

I have a tendency to forget about it, but I actually like it, and I had fun playing it, so I don't know why that is.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

JesusMonroe wrote:
Do people *hate* Turnabout Airlines? I've never heard positive things about it but it's actually a pretty damn good case

I actually love this case, been playing it for 6 times now.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

:)

I love every Ace Attorney case.

dimentiorules wrote:
If it wasn't for Zinc Leblanc, that case would be enjoyable, but his presence ruins the whole experience. Zinc Leblanc is my least favorite character in the entire series. He has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and is completely devoid of anything likeable. He's ugly, he's arrogant, he's annoying, his damage animation makes me want to gouge my eyes out, I hate hate hate hate HATE that guy!

He has one redeeming quality; his theme

The reason I like the case a lot, though, is because it's a relatively simple murder with enough intrigue and it doesn't overstay its welcome, along with throwing some twists along the way. It's a very replayable case

And I've brought it up before, but I love Rhoda. They didn't give her some complex backstory where her father was sucked in a jet engine or something like that; her life is sad because she worked hard on suitcases and nobody likes them. I actually felt pretty bad for her (more than most "tragic" characters of the series) and it's something I'm sure a lot of people can relate to

JesusMonroe wrote:

And I've brought it up before, but I love Rhoda. They didn't give her some complex backstory where her father was sucked in a jet engine or something like that

1: This backstory is 100 times better than the one Athena got, and would've maybe made me feel something other than pure annoyance towards her.

2: Please let this be how Apollo's father died.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Chloe wrote:

Thank you, Chloe. I see my side of opinions is covered.

After struggling plenty long enough with writing a case myself, I have to commend even the ones I didn't like as much. They're still impressive mysteries in their own right, and that's usually the most annoying bit to outline and later apply in the game. Sure, one can come up with mysteries easily, but it's not so simple to come up with a good or practical one, or even a convoluted Xanatos gambit...

I have to admit: there is not one case I've played where I didn't enjoy at least some scenes. I complain all the same about each of them from time to time, but they're nothing compared to what I can praise about each of them.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

You know, a Mario game!

To be honest, I really enjoyed 5-2. Sure, the plot was so complicated that it was really hard to follow, but so was every case in GS5. I like to think of Nine Tails Vale as a village in America that's populated entirely by Otaku. (The plural for Otaku is just Otaku, right?) Otaku are fascinated with Japanese culture, so they'd make an entire village based around it. The villain was memorable, yet really stupid.
Spoiler:
I mean, he spent so much money on advertising something he wasn't intending to sell! I like to imagine that his debt was to Viola. That would make it a lot more interesting. Plus his breakdown is very fun to watch, and fully takes advantage of the fact that it's using 3D models now, by showing it from different angles.

My Twitter Account

Gardevoir lover

4-3 I don't know why, but i just really like this case. The one thing that bugged me was the overuse of the guitars serenade.

5-2 I'm a sucker for old timey japanese locations so i really enjoyed this one.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Chloe wrote:

Thank you, Chloe. I see my side of opinions is covered.

After struggling plenty long enough with writing a case myself, I have to commend even the ones I didn't like as much. They're still impressive mysteries in their own right, and that's usually the most annoying bit to outline and later apply in the game. Sure, one can come up with mysteries easily, but it's not so simple to come up with a good or practical one, or even a convoluted Xanatos gambit...

I have to admit: there is not one case I've played where I didn't enjoy at least some scenes. I complain all the same about each of them from time to time, but they're nothing compared to what I can praise about each of them.

Agreed. The only time I don't like a case is when I'm judging them on the standards of the series. I think they're all somewhat impressive if graded individually

My least favorite case is probably either 2-1 or 3-1. 2-1 still has some good things to it, though. Even though Nick loses his memory, it still ties into the theme of the last case where Nick has to decide what it means to be a lawyer, except in 2-1 it's more literal. With 3-1, we got to play as Mia and see this: :paynehair:

Wait, I don't get how in 2-1 he somehow thinks what it means to be a lawyer. I mean... he has no memory, so he only does what he thinks a lawyer does. Gets the guilty guy to confess.

C-A

Racing through the sky like a Missile

CatMuto wrote:
Wait, I don't get how in 2-1 he somehow thinks what it means to be a lawyer. I mean... he has no memory, so he only does what he thinks a lawyer does. Gets the guilty guy to confess.

C-A

What's wrong? He's just living up to the name he re-discovered. When you think of "Phoenix Wright", what else to say but "Right, better turn this trial around like a Phoenix's rebirth!" It probably doesn't work as well for the other version of him, though. Besides, by the time the guilty guy confesses, he's already regained his memory.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

...honestly when I hear Phoenix Wright, I think gullible idiot with no balls...

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

How can you honestly say he has no balls?! Would a guy with no balls run across a burning bridge to save his friend?! I think not! You say he has no balls simply because he actually cares about Maya and doesn't want her killed by De Killer, he's just a caring person, not a sociopath like you!
My Twitter Account

Gardevoir lover

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Gullibe idiot? Yes i can see that.
But no balls? As mentioned above if he did have any he wouldn't have done those things!

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

dimentiorules wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

How can you honestly say he has no balls?! Would a guy with no balls run across a burning bridge to save his friend?! I think not! You say he has no balls simply because he actually cares about Maya and doesn't want her killed by De Killer, he's just a caring person, not a sociopath like you!

His backbone is about as steel-like as a cooked noodle. (Backbone, balls, guts, pick whatever word you want) And yes, I hate how he acts in 2-4, mostly because I think the kidnapping subplot was a shit way of trying to get Phoenix to learn a lesson... which he doesn't seem to REALLY learn in that case. Or seems to remember in the following games!

C-A

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

1-1 gets lowest on everybody's rank-order. I think it's too funny to be one of the "worst" cases in the series. In fact, it's on my top 3 of first cases.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

You know, a Mario game!

You completely ignored the point I was making. How can you honestly say he has no backbone when he is willing to risk his life by running across a burning bridge?! I find that you completely ignore the points people make that you have no way of rebutting, as you refuse to lose an argument! And watch, your next post will focus entirely on that last sentence and still completely ignore the fact of the burning bridge.
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
You completely ignored the point I was making. How can you honestly say he has no backbone when he is willing to risk his life by running across a burning bridge?! I find that you completely ignore the points people make that you have no way of rebutting, as you refuse to lose an argument! And watch, your next post will focus entirely on that last sentence and still completely ignore the fact of the burning bridge.

I HATE it when people offer their own lives for somebody else's! Those type of people seem to lack all sense of self-preservation. FUCK running over that stupid burning bridge, Maya was FINE over there. She got herself some help in form of summong Mia to prevent Dahlia from trying to reappear and try to kill her again. There were blankets. Pillows. Dry clothes she could've changed into and all. She wasn't in THAT much trouble. She didn't need Phoenix to somehow think he had to help.

C-A

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

I HATE it when people offer their own lives for somebody else's! Those type of people seem to lack all sense of self-preservation. FUCK running over that stupid burning bridge, Maya was FINE over there. She got herself some help in form of summong Mia to prevent Dahlia from trying to reappear and try to kill her again. There were blankets. Pillows. Dry clothes she could've changed into and all. She wasn't in THAT much trouble. She didn't need Phoenix to somehow think he had to help.

C-A

Cat, PLEASE at least look back at the text before making assumptions.
Quote:
Phoenix: The murderer might have fled across the bridge! I have to make sure Maya is safe!

Yes, it turned out futile, but that was his mindset at the time. Don't even tell me he should have thought things through without looking at the circumstances. He was woken up in the middle of the night, found a dead body, ran a fifteen-twenty minute walk to Dusky Bridge, and found it lit on fire. No one not even you would be in a state that allows rational thought.

Actually, screw this scene. The only reason for this scene was an excuse to bring back Edgeworth for obligatory fanservice.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix: The murderer might have fled across the bridge! I have to make sure Maya is safe!

Yes, it turned out futile, but that was his mindset at the time. Don't even tell me he should have thought things through without looking at the circumstances. He was woken up in the middle of the night, found a dead body, ran a fifteen-twenty minute walk to Dusky Bridge, and found it lit on fire. No one not even you would be in a state that allows rational thought.

Actually, screw this scene. The only reason for this scene was an excuse to bring back Edgeworth for obligatory fanservice.

...I had a fire in my apartment at the age of 19. When I saw it, my first reaction was "...SHIT!" and then I immediately went into overdrive mode. My rational thoughts went like this: Take bathrobe off, so it won't catch fire. Run into kitchen and grab the big 2kg tub of flour. Dump flour onto fire - all of it, one large DUMP!
Results: Fire is out, I turn the stove off and open the window to let the smoke out. Then a call to my mother to tell her about the fire. She told me to call the fire department so they can check if everything is okay. (I wasn't going to cause the immediate danger of fire was already gone)

So yeah. Different high-adrenaline situation, but considering I was that rational at age 19, I'd expect Phoenix to be more rational, or at least that rational, at age 26.

Also, Maya can channel people. Push comes to shove, she could channel someone with bear arms and beat the crap out of someone. It's like thinking the main character or Yukari in Persona 3 require "help". They have Evokers that look like guns, for one. That's already a good way to get someone to back off.

C-A

The difference is that when it comes to fires of that scale most people know what to do. You might not be mentally prepared for it, but you hear time and time again what you should do should one appear. Waking up to find a corpse in the yard, being cut off from your best friend with no way of making sure they're okay and knowing there might be a killer somewhere in the location though isn't something you learn how to handle in school.

GoingforMiles wrote:
The difference is that when it comes to fires of that scale most people know what to do. You might not be mentally prepared for it, but you hear time and time again what you should do should one appear. Waking up to find a corpse in the yard, being cut off from your best friend with no way of making sure they're okay and knowing there might be a killer somewhere in the location though isn't something you learn how to handle in school.

This is why I don't have friends Again, Phoenix could've at least tried to think a bit more rationally. It's not that difficult to do... well, it is for PHOENIX, but overall it isn't. Also, hasn't Phoenix seen a dead body before *coughdougcough*
And Edgeworth being in the case is like the only good thing about this case.

C-A

Hi

CatMuto wrote:
Also, Maya can channel people. Push comes to shove, she could channel someone with bear arms and beat the crap out of someone.

Actually I think Maya needs to know or at least see a picture of someone to be able to channel them so I don't think she could just channel someone with bear arms whenever she wants.

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
This is why I don't have friends Again, Phoenix could've at least tried to think a bit more rationally. It's not that difficult to do... well, it is for PHOENIX, but overall it isn't. Also, hasn't Phoenix seen a dead body before *coughdougcough*

C-A

I give you five years before you turn out like Adachi.
When put under stress, people don't rely on rational thought to get them through. They rely on their first instinct. We're humans, not anti-shadow weapons with personas.
Also, Phoenix didn't see Doug's dead body, he was alive when he left. No, he didn't perceive it as a dead body. Although he did see Grey's dead body, so you still have that.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

I give you five years before you turn out like Adachi.
When put under stress, people don't rely on rational thought to get them through. They rely on their first instinct. We're humans, not anti-shadow weapons with personas.
Also, Phoenix didn't see Doug's dead body, he was alive when he left. No, he didn't perceive it as a dead body. Although he did see Grey's dead body, so you still have that.

What about when he came back? That was a freaking CORPSE he saw there!
And again. I had more rational thoughts/instincts during a fire at age 19 than Phoenix seems to have in the entire trilogy close to the late 20s range.

C-A

The original argument was that Phoenix had no balls. It doesn't matter if his instincts were rational or not. He ran across a burning bridge

JesusMonroe wrote:
The original argument was that Phoenix had no balls. It doesn't matter if his instincts were rational or not. He ran across a burning bridge

And for me, that isn't having balls, that's just something stupid to do.
If he wants to do that again, he can join the Berry Big Circus, otherwise it has no place in the game.

C-A
Page 2 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby