Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 134 of 158[ 6281 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 158  Next

Re: Phoenix and Maya Fan ClubTopic%20Title

Je voudrais une anana, s'il vous plait.

Yeah I was up last night until 3 in the morning and when I finally got to bed, I couldn't sleep. So then I decided to think of an idea for a fanfic for P/M day! I barely got through an idea when I fell asleep... :yogi:
"Dilon mein tum apne betabiyaan leke chal rahe ho, toh zinda ho tum..."
"If you carry impatience in your heart, you are alive..."

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

icer wrote:
Wait, hey, so that's where you wrote all those fanfics?
Yep, that's right. =p Thing is, I don't use the stock Notepad. That's what Notepad++ is for. In case I ever need it (modesty aside, I usually don't), it has a very handy and very accurate Unicode-based Spell Checking plugin, so that's that problem solved. Plus, it gives me all the flexibility I need for working directly in HTML/BBcode (for fic-writing), C#, PHP, VB, Ruby, Perl, Actionscript, Java, Javascript, etc. (for coding) or just about any other formatting I have ever worked in (for all the other code formats I haven't used, lol). It's amazingly practical to be writing something for a story and then have a flash of insight with the solution to a code problem I might have had earlier and just be able to switch tabs to the code file and solve it on the flash with syntax highlighting and everything.

tl;dr Notepad++ owns you. =p

icer wrote:
[=snip=]
Ew, Word. I barely use that thing for designing print forms and writing memos and letters anymore.
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MyAnimeList | My PW/AA Stuff and Translations | My fic thread

PhoenixFlower16 wrote:
Yeah I was up last night until 3 in the morning and when I finally got to bed, I couldn't sleep. So then I decided to think of an idea for a fanfic for P/M day! I barely got through an idea when I fell asleep... :yogi:

Sooo, keep a notebook and pen by/in your bed. Well, when you know your head is WORKING ON A FIC you're writing now anyway. I have done this a few times, though reading your writing again (no I don't turn on the lights) is sometimes a problem.

Shiki Tohno wrote:
Notepad++...
Ew, Word. I barely use that thing for designing print forms and writing memos and letters anymore.

Wait, I heard of that once. I might try it. Provided it saves in MS Word DOC format, which is the main reason to have Word, for those sad cases who can't function if you don't give them an MS WORD document. And open every 'unfamiliar' file type (text and non-text alike) in Microsoft Word and wonder why it 'just shows all these weird characters it's broken it's your fault' EDIT: No, doesn't save them and doesn't display Word files either. Pity when you have stuff you're still working on which are IN Word files... BUT looks like a useful program.

nevertalk wrote:
I space my story out and try to keep my scenes in some semblance of an order. I don't usually type out later scenes either unless I'm struck with inspiration. I just put down the lines in note form then conform them to the story when I get to that part.

ORDER? Oh, but that's the thing. I have thought of scenes, usually in totally formed paragraphs, dialogues, narration and whatever (none of this bullet point notes) but I HAVEN'T DECIDED THE ORDER.
justis76 wrote:
You don't write your fanfics in a sequential fashion? Oh, that could be handy.

Not really, it just seems to be how my mind works (more a liability). For long fics, I'm not that pathetic on short things...

Hikari wrote:
I'd love to do something for P/M day, but I'm low on inspiration and I'm busy beta-ing something for icer, so it might have to wait. >_>

Yeah well, if people don't have time to make/write/draw something, just observe the day by posting here :pearl-blush: We could have a discussion topic/s for it or something (I mean, more specific ones.) Off the top of my head, we could always discuss the finer points of that lovely moving case 1-2 and P-M (since it's what effectively gives us the date of this 'holiday', and it's pretty interesting because it sets up there whole basic dynamic quite nicely AND is pretty short.) but there's quite a few days left to think of other/s.

~10 Days!
Here's a comic that was posted on Pixiv.
Spoiler: Comic
Phoenix has a cold?
By 'mari'

LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

[Words]

10 Days already? Geez, better get a move-on then.
I like the idea of a discussion about a case in the context of Phoenix/Maya, and given that the inspiration for the actual date of P/M Day was from an occurrence in 1-2, I think that would be a good case to discuss.

icer wrote:
PhoenixFlower16 wrote:

Sooo, keep a notebook and pen by/in your bed. Well, when you know your head is WORKING ON A FIC you're writing now anyway. I have done this a few times, though reading your writing again (no I don't turn on the lights) is sometimes a problem.

Yeah you're right. That's a good idea. Hmmm...TIME TO RE-READ.

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

icer wrote:
Here's a comic that was posted on Pixiv.
Spoiler: Comic
Phoenix has a cold?
By 'mari'
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh that's so retardedly cute.
Spoiler: Translation
p0:
<Nick> Maya?!

<Maya> You haven't eaten anything yet, right Nick? I came by to make you something!
<Nick> But I told you you didn't have to come to make me anything...

<Maya> Nick, GO TO SLEEP!
<Nick> Alright, alright...

p1:
<Nick> [thinking] Somehow... (T.N.: As in, "is it just me or...")

<Nick> ...She looks kinda happy?

<SFX> [Sound of knife on cutting board]

<SFX> [Light turns on]
<Maya> Niiiiiiiick!

<SFX> [Rising quickly]
<Nick> Wha...?!
<Maya> Were you sleeping?

p2:
<SFX> [Yawn]
<Nick> Oh, sorry, even though you were busy with the kitchen I kinda...
<Maya> That's okay, really, as long as you rested...

<Maya> So!
<Maya> The great Maya Fey will now feed you!

<Maya> Come on, say aaaaahhhh~n♥

p3:
<SFX> [Maya giggling]
<Nick> Th-that's quite alright... You don't really have to do this...
<Maya> Oh, come on! Just leave it to me, alright?

<Maya> Upsie-daisy!
<Maya> Hehe, you're as strong as always, Nick!
<Nick> [strangled gulping] (T.N.: Imagine the sound you'd make if you were being force-fed something =p )

<Nick> Ah... delicious...
<Nick> Uh, Maya... Y'know...

p4:
<Nick> You're like, really happy right now, aren't you?
<Maya> Eh!?
<Nick> You've been doing [kanji I can't read, too badly drawn — I think it's "crooning" or something similar] since the beginning, haven't you?

<Maya> Ah...
<Maya> W-well...

<Maya> I was just thinking, since you take care of me so much and so often, Nick...
<SFX> Ehehe...

<Maya> I thought I should come by and make myself useful cooking you something fresh...
<Maya> So since it's just the two of us right now I thought we could spend some time together and take it easy, you know...

p5:
<Maya> I'm sorry... I know your cold's really bad...

<Nick> Dammit, this girl... (T.N.: As in, "this much cute put together should be illegal!" =p )

<SFX> [Grab]
<Maya> Wha?!

<Maya> Aw, come on, what are you doing?
<Nick> [Garbled and unintelligible due to comic author scratching the image -.- dammit]

p6:
<Author> Uh, can't go past this. \(^o^)/ (T.N.: As in, "it's impossible for me to bring myself to go past this point in terms of morality or whatever", lol)
<Author> Sorry... =(

If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

:will: :gant: :redd: :godot: :acro: :edgy: I WAS LITERALLY SQUEALING... :D :D :D Hahaha, I don't think I can put all my emotions into this message...THAT WAS SO CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D I loved it. Thanks for posting :)

Ah, P/M day is pretty soon!
Well...I have an 8 hour plane flight back to college on saturday. Hopefully I can get something together then.
And I'd be happy to look into 1-2 too! *quickly glances through script*

:phoenix: : "I'm going to defend you whether you want me to or not!... Why? Well, I can't abandon you."
:maya: :"I trust you...So you trust me, too, okay?"

And of course:
:mia: "Take care of Phoenix for me."

Dang...sure they just met so the context isn't Phoenix/Maya quite yet, but 1-2 certainly has the foreshadowing down. It's amazing what a few lines can mean 3 games later. And why have I never seriously looked at this case before?

Equilibrate Concerto wrote:
Ah, P/M day is pretty soon!
Well...I have an 8 hour plane flight back to college on saturday. Hopefully I can get something together then.
And I'd be happy to look into 1-2 too! *quickly glances through script*

:phoenix: : "I'm going to defend you whether you want me to or not!... Why? Well, I can't abandon you."
:maya: :"I trust you...So you trust me, too, okay?"

And of course:
:mia: "Take care of Phoenix for me."

Dang...sure they just met so the context isn't Phoenix/Maya quite yet, but 1-2 certainly has the foreshadowing down. It's amazing what a few lines can mean 3 games later. And why have I never seriously looked at this case before?

You can also find a lot of these types of quotes in 3-3! Like how Phoenix basically admits that he thinks that Maya looks hot/cute in the waitress outfit!!

PhoenixFlower16 wrote:
You can also find a lot of these types of quotes in 3-3! Like how Phoenix basically admits that he thinks that Maya looks hot/cute in the waitress outfit!!

Yups, and that's a pretty significant moment, or so I hear. Unfortunately...I don't have T&T (Or, for that matter, JFA. I know, it's a travesty right?) so aside from memories from my first playthrough, I really only have the online scripts to go off of...which don't include 3-2 or 3-3...

Shiki Tohno wrote:
[genius]

Oh Shiki, thank you so much! *tears of gratitude*
And it's such a nice comic too.
I should find another comic :edgy:

Yups, and that's a pretty significant moment, or so I hear. Unfortunately...I don't have T&T (Or, for that matter, JFA. I know, it's a travesty right?) so aside from memories from my first playthrough, I really only have the online scripts to go off of...which don't include 3-2 or 3-3...

Oh noooooo! There are... means.. to play these things. Several of 'em. :yummy:

BTW in terms of 'legalities', just buy the JP version of PW3, it includes English. A nice new copy so you contribute to the franchise sales figures/profit SOMEWHERE. Oh and, there's the iPhone version of the first game, if you have one BUY IT, I hear it's really cheap like $1.

I don't have an iPhone. or an iPod. But I'm sure you used to use a Mac so maybe you do.

Then there's the WiiWare versions of all 3 games.

I will try to re-find the notes I made about 3-2 and 3-3 when I replayed them last... it's a pain there not being a script online isn't it? (One highlight is Phoenix's continual profession of hatred of 'flowers' (aka Ayame, who is the only flower in the JP version, Chinami not being a dahlia at least according to CR), that he is 'allergic' to them, and how they remind him of 'poison and betrayal' - but that's not P/M is it :garyuu: ) I think they are relatively speaking, the more boring of the filler cases (3-2 at least, 3-3 was good the first time but not as good in terms of infinite replay, it saddens me also the um, ironic conflict, with the GS4 story where in that one Phoenix both can't bluff and is warned never to take up gambling by Maya, let alone has lost their card game..). 2-3 is horrible the first time you play but it's better once you know what to expect [TURN THE SOUND OFF] (and is rife with P/M-ish interpretatible moments).

But the key P/M cases are not so much the filler but 1-2, 1-4 (partly, it's a dual plot with the Edgeworth thing), 2-2, 2-4, 3-5 (which sort of ties into 3-1 and 3-4 ha ha symbolics).

There's a lot in 1-2 it really sets up the dynamic - Maya hasn't even channelled before ever, but her DESIRE TO SAVE PHOENIX when all 'hope is lost and he passes out' is literally THE CATALYST for her surge of spiritual powers to surface and channel for the first time! And well, sure Maya pretty much faints at the sight of Phoenix when they 'meet', but Phoenix is pretty, um, obsessed in that he basically gets no sleep and shows up at the detention centre to see her the second it opens The various alt conversations in the detention centre are pretty interesting, I remember....

I think we've gotten most of the more 'explicit' P/M 'quotes' in our 'Evidence List' (though if you ever find more we'll add them) but a more subtle and, um, powerful sense of their relationship/partnership is built up by the games by various other means than just straight quotes, if you know what I mean. Also the 'list' is for 'romantic' evidence, and there's a lot of stuff which is just a sign they're, um a compatible partnership which we don't include in that list (like nothing much from 1-2) even though it's integral to the theory of shipping them :pearl-blush:

As for the 'Evidence List' file, what the heck is UP with stupid 110mb.com lately? Can't login, can't FTP, seems to be down half the time... so I uploaded it to another stupid free webhost. (and since I, um, misplaced the most recent ver of my file, I had to reconstruct it from google cache, the amount of garbage google adds to it and messes all the chars ugh)

>> P/M Fanclub Canon 'Evidence List' [mirror] <<

purplepjs

Just clocking in and saying hi :)

Might make sure I have some sort of one shot ready for September 5th.

Livin' joke.

...How the hell have I missed this club?!
My Court Records Family?

My Court Records brother is Apollo72 , and my dear mother and father are yuzikichan0 and Inquisitor Amakiir !

Thanks for the banner, Polly!

/人◕‿‿◕人\

New member? Hello and welcome! :D traditional emote--> :kissy:

You may or may not have picked this up from previous posts, but we're holding a Phoenix/Maya Day on September 5, so look forward to it :)

We also have a P/M fic/pics resource in the works here.

Again, welcome! :keiko:
~Fanfiction~
"No. Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for."
-Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

icer wrote:
Oh noooooo! There are... means.. to play these things. Several of 'em. :yummy:

BTW in terms of 'legalities', just buy the JP version of PW3, it includes English. A nice new copy so you contribute to the franchise sales figures/profit SOMEWHERE. Oh and, there's the iPhone version of the first game, if you have one BUY IT, I hear it's really cheap like $1.

I don't have an iPhone. or an iPod. But I'm sure you used to use a Mac so maybe you do.

Hahaha, yup, that's probably my worst-kept "dark Phoenix Wright secret"...and why I rely on scripts so much for everything. XD .

Yeah I'm on a mac (I...don't remember mentioning that, but it has been a while since I've been here so I must've just forgotten). I did get the ipod version of AA also.

Well, I've been able to write the bulk of my P/M day submission + have the rest outlined.

Quote:

And welcome to the club Ha-cubed (sorry, dunno how to do the superscript :/)

Well, I've been able to write the bulk of my P/M day submission + have the rest outlined.

Looking forward to it!

I haven't. BUT I WILL PREVAIL! :whip:

You mentioned your Mac when you made that amazing fancase (since you used the only one which worked on a Mac, PyWright I think it was maybe.)

I do recommend the games even JP versions... assuming you have a DS Lite etc I guess... DS Lites are kind of at EOL state aren't they... the A button broke on mine, I bought another from Hong Kong (since it MUST be in the Right Colour Enamel Navy Blue) but it's made funny like parts are loose(?) *sigh* hard to get carts or charger to be um, read, manufacturing fault or delivery fault who knows. I don't want a DSi and have no current need of a 3DS.

Ha³ wrote:

Welcome to the club *showers confetti* Have some cats, cookies, etc. :shoe: :cookie:

~3 DAYS!
Don't forget to visit this thread on P/M Day even if you don't get to make something like a fanfic or fanart as we will chat, party, discuss, celebrate etc here on the thread :maya-shock: :pearl-blush:

Ehh...just cut out a bunch of my fic. It just wasn't working out. :sadshoe: I might only have a chapter or two ready by Monday.

Hi there! I'm new to this forum, and I thought I'd like to contribute a one-shot for this pairing!

fanfiction.net: Title: Worth It: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7282752/1/Worth_It

:phoenix: :maya:

HAPPY PHOENIX/MAYA DAY! :gant-clap2: :kissy: :pearl-blush:

Well it is here. Like 1am :edgy:

And I finished my essay-type-thing on time. It's a Miracle! We were discussing 1-2, remember? (And P/M generally. Of course)

obviously could have done with a lot of refinement, better wording and arrangement, but that's what collaboration and discussion is FOR isn't it :nick-heart: DISCUSS! Tell me what you think.

Spoiler: YAY EXCITING! :) Genesis of the Phoenix-Maya dynamic - 1-2 - September 5
September 5. Mia’s death – a clear tragedy and strategically placed. We have grown attached enough to her in the brief tutorial case that the murder is a shocking, unexpected atrocity of moral outrage with emotive impact – but not attached enough to be so emotionally devastating it detracts from the main story of the living – and the hence-unexpected ‘resurrection’ (and finishing Mia’s mission) marks the case as a triumph over White’s injustice (even if Mia in the games is still bittersweet henceforth.) A tragic tale – but for the main story and protagonists, really only the beginning. And the facilitation of Mia’s career goal coming to fruition is entirely by reciprocal virtue of a new bond formed that terrible night.

---

A summary of key observations from the Phoenix-Maya intro case 1-2:

-Phoenix and Maya form a highly complimentary dynamic by instinct, with all the hallmarks of which repeated throughout every case in the series.

-Formation of a complementary ‘emotional support/needs’ dynamic (that caters to their idiosyncrasies and vulnerabilities of both character trait and past histories/traumas (some constructed retrospectively.)

-The formation of their foundational trust (belief) ‘contract’ – along with its 2nd tier of vow “I won’t abandon you"

-Phoenix and Maya form an immediate, highly productive, mutually supportive and empathetic connection (devoid of ‘teething problems’, ‘adjustments’ or communication confusion.)

-Phoenix and Maya can ONLY achieve triumph over White’s injustice by their complementary dynamic together, they are literally unable to when working alone (Phoenix also falls prey to White when trying to work alone, Maya must ‘miraculously’ save him)

-The context of Maya’s introduction and dynamic formed with Phoenix therein is totally different to the later ‘stereotype teen-girl-assistant roles’.

-Maya isn’t some baggage-‘inheritance’ Mia left around for Phoenix to babysit along with ‘his’ office; it’s more along the lines that Mia instructs her to adopt Phoenix.

---

ONLY THE RECIPROCAL PARTNERSHIP DYNAMIC OVERCOMES WHITE

It may superficially appear to follow the stereotypical ‘damsel in distress’ trope (that its allusion is invoked at all, as in the other key trope-subversion, 2-4, is just more ‘romance’ contextualising-subtext) but this soon morphs into a partnership altogether different as Maya’s character and autonomous action repeatedly turns this role stereotype on its head. Maya is in trouble. Maya can’t save herself. Maya can’t channel to save herself, even her own life, has never channelled, ‘could never do something on that level’.

* -Phoenix
* So, you're a real, honest-
* to-goodness spirit medium?
* With E.S.P. and all that?
* -Maya
* Yes.
* ...In training.
* -Phoenix
* Well, can't you contact
* Mia's spirit, then?
* -Phoenix
* We can just ask
* her who killed her!
* -Maya
* ...!
* -Maya
* I-I'm sorry...
* -Maya
* I'm still in training.
* -Maya
* I couldn't do something
* on that level...
* -Phoenix
* (Hmm... I thought that
* would be too easy.)

Phoenix can save her – but only with his own incompetence/inexperience (confronting White) unintentionally ending up with himself on trial for murder. He acts as his own defense attorney – thinking he can save himself…. But – this is integral – he CAN’T. (And thus, passes out.)

-Edgeworth
The time has come for you
to admit your defeat!

-Edgeworth
You fought... honorably.

-Phoenix
(No more...)

-Phoenix
(I can't take this anymore...)

-Judge
Mr. Wright?

-Judge
Are you giving up?

-Phoenix

-Phoenix
Y-yes, Your Honor.
[…]

-Phoenix

-Phoenix
Oh, right...

-Phoenix
I lost the trial.

-Phoenix
I was... hallucinating.

This is just one aspect that marks the Maya–Phoenix dynamic as a partnership – instinctively so. Phoenix is probably touched by her tacit emotional support and goodwill (and thus, asks for her presence at the trial) but assumes she will be of no tangible help (which is not condescending, as Maya’s subsequent ‘assistance’ is nothing short of miraculous to the not-already-desensitised.) Maya doesn’t need to be told how or when to help Phoenix. Maya shows continual initiative throughout the case to assist him practically and emotionally. And when Phoenix’s defense fails, her urge to help him is so strong, it’s literally the catalyst that invokes her latent spiritual powers for the first time to channel!

-Mia
When you accepted your
defeat in court...

-Mia
It appears that was enough
of a shock to awaken
Maya's true powers.
[…]
-Mia
Now, I want you to listen
to me, Phoenix.

-Mia
Maya never gave up.
You can't either!

When acting alone, White would have sent Maya and Phoenix to their unjust deaths as Mia before them. Only the reciprocal bond of mutual loyalty allows them to overcome the injustice and triumph over White – at least partially ‘avenging’ his long list of casualties as Mia’s life’s work had desired. The Phoenix-Maya complimentary dynamic is more than the sum of its parts.

Compare and contrast to the UNcoincidenly similar Phoenix-‘Dollie’Iris ‘partnership’. Even after SEVEN MONTHS of supposed ‘true love’, no meaningful connection or communication is achieved – to disastrous and nearly-fatal results. Phoenix-Iris is a ‘partnership’ of few words – and so is Phoenix-Maya. But unlike 3-1 Phoenix-Iris (seemingly stuck in incompatible diametrically opposite universes which neither can properly comprehend of empathise with) they are not needed. Phoenix’s empathy to Maya is instinctive.

In this initial case, and every other, one can be locked up, passed out, kidnapped, feared dead, have no time to discuss in words – but the other can be counted on to have the unconsulted initiative to do something genuinely reciprocal to solving their plight (often with little concern to their own safety). Delivering the decisive evidence under any adverse circumstance, channellings, taking a taser, being in contempt of court, trying to cross a burning bridge, countless others…

As for emotional supports and short-comings, these are seldom discussed either – but they don’t need to be (beyond occasional re-affirmations of the original grounds of their bond-of trust ‘contract’) . The partnership very clearly acts as both resolution and compensation to Phoenix and Maya’s insecurities from personality quirks and canonic past traumas/life histories. (It’s as if their dynamic was actually designed to be their complimentary other half. Oh wait. IT WAS!)

---

“I TRUST YOU (SO YOU TRUST ME TOO)” – THE BOND-‘CONTRACT’ IS INSTANTIATED

But the bond-partnership IS initiated, here in 1-2, by heartfelt and serious words.

-Phoenix
Maya...

-Phoenix
I won't abandon you.
You can count on me.

-Maya

-Maya
That's so kind of you...

-Maya
*sniff*...

-Maya

-Phoenix
Well!

-Phoenix
Let's fight this one
and get you out of here!

-Maya
R-right!
Thank you!

-Phoenix
(Whew, she smiled at last.
She looks like an entirely
different person!)

-Phoenix
One last question...
You are innocent, right?

-Maya
Yes!

-Maya
And I trust you...

-Maya
So you trust me,
too, okay?

-Phoenix
It's a deal.

It’s basal – but it’s the unshakable foundation of their entire relationship.

I trust you (so you trust me too.) I won’t abandon you.

(This foundational principle later translates into such beliefs as ‘Maya is not an murder, it’s literally IMPOSSIBLE.’ ‘Maya did not jump off Dusky Bridge and abandon me at trial, it’s impossible’ ‘I believe in Nick as a person to do the ‘right’ thing (whatever that is) in 2-4 and, for that matter, 3-2, and am wiling to sacrifice even my life to do so’ etc.)

It’s worth reconsulting Phoenix’s ending musings in 3-5.

Phoenix:
(Even when the battle is over,
and the bonds that connect
us are severed...)

Phoenix:
(We always return...
Time and time again.)

Phoenix:
(Mia, Maya, Pearls,
Mr. Armando...)

Phoenix:
(...and Maya's mother, too...)

Phoenix:
(I learned that... from
all of them.)

It’s unclear whether Phoenix’s mention of ‘Maya’ is in the context of his own relationship or of her connections to her mother and Mia. But this is irrelevant as the Phoenix-Maya bond (formed in 1-2 and continuing onward) is unique among them. One bond in the series that no matter what the adversity, is NEVER, even temporarily, successfully ‘severed’.

-Maya
You know what this means?
We're partners!

---

AN IMMEDIATE COMPELLING CONNECTION

The death of his mentor is clearly shocking to Phoenix and an atrocity in which he would have emotional investment, but it seems he has been most captivated by something else that night. The ‘strange girl’ does little but faint and few words are exchanged – but already Phoenix’s mind is unusually set on one thing.

-Phoenix
I was taken in for questioning
and didn't get out until the
next morning.

-Phoenix
My eyes were heavy...
but I couldn't sleep.

-Phoenix
I sat around, waiting for
visiting hours to begin at
the detention center.

-Phoenix
I had to talk to Maya
as soon as possible.
--

So set he can’t sleep despite exhaustion… and, unusually, it’s not Mia on his mind. You would ‘assume’ by default that would be Phoenix’s motivator - but Mia simply isn’t mentioned, it’s MAYA.

---

MAYA’S CANDID PRESENTATION –ONE TO WHICH PHOENIX INSTINCTIVELY AND EMPATHETICALLY CONNECTS

Maya, from the moment we see her and throughout the games, is an intensely expressive character – open in her emotions, openly tearful (though not in the manner of, say, Iris…) when expressing genuine emotion, intensely determined in support of, well, Phoenix, though largely non-combative and not prone to grudges. (In some manners she resembles the openly tearful, overly-expressive, trusting, loyal Feenie of Phoenix’s less cynical youth; the fact ‘Feenie’ was constructed retrospectively just supports the argument the characters were written to have an empathetic dynamic.) It seems Maya’s openness (both in laying bare her family ‘shame’, questionable ‘occupation’ and open emotions) is something Phoenix is wired to connect to. It’s not a matter of ‘anybody who isn’t a jerk’ would act as such in that situation – it’s only Phoenix’s particular set of compatible idiosyncrasies of personality and history that mean he wouldn’t refuse to touch such a case (like every other defense attorney in the district.) Phoenix makes no secret he strongly empathises with Maya and her plight – even before he’s decided to ‘trust’ she is certainly innocent – due to his own past experiences and many other factors demonstrated by his actions which he does not intonate in words – he is clearly captivated somehow by Maya even from their brief interchange the night of the murder.

For purpose of writing 1-2 itself, this probably referred to the infamous ‘class trial’; but GS3, though retrospectively written, is definitely canonic of Phoenix’s past, so it can clearly be taken to refer to his experiences as ‘Feenie’ as well – the ‘Dollie’ nightmare of betrayal, abandonment by Iris, trial for murder, and Mia’s ‘rescue’ convincing him of being a defense attorney being the correct path to pursue from that moment on (rather than a vague childhood dream from which he was distracted.)

And the Maya we meet is intensely genuine. Far from her introduction being as a comedy sidekick cracking a burger joke (which is merely an auxiliary role) this is dead serious, Maya openly crying, not because she is a weak-willed crybaby, but because she is bent over her sister’s murdered dead body, the gravity still greater since Mia is one of the very few victims in the series we actually knew and connected to pre-death. Maya is never superficial.

And when Maya is candid toward Phoenix in the detention centre, it’s NOT at all with the intent or assumption of manipulating his compassion or assistance. (Contrast to a certain scene in 3-1.) Maya doesn’t expect him to help her, certainly not in a meaningful manner, she asks the favour of relaying the message to Grossberg because there is no one else she can ask.

Maya isn’t ever a ‘Mia Lite’ – already she’s subverting the ‘wisdom’ and ‘advice’ of her sister to believe instead in Phoenix and his abilities – an undying belief she maintains henceforth (Mia through the series, as here, being detached, cryptic and colder, even if she clearly does have strong positive affect toward Phoenix.)

---

PHOENIX’S MOTIVATIONS TAKING THE CASE – INDIVISIBLE EMPATHETIC CONNECTION TO MAYA

In stark contrast to the ‘Dollie’ comparative tale, (with Dahlia’s deliberate and fictional spin to manipulate Phoenix, UNcoincidently also in context of his potential aid in light of pending murder charges,) Maya’s personal PR marketing pitch is an unmitigated disaster. Way to go Maya, as a segeway to your ‘innocence of murder’ candidly laying bare your family shame, skeletons in the closet and the fact you yourself are one of a line of ‘spirit mediums’ openly derided by all (including the justice system) as ‘frauds’. It’s very probable Phoenix was sceptical of Maya and the Fey’s ‘channelling’ ability at this point in time, even if he is not tactless enough to explicitly say so, also notable that Mia had NEVER mentioned any of this family ‘heritage’ to Phoenix (Phoenix: (I had no idea...).) so it’s clear it was not something of which she thought status-enhancing.

It’s important to note that there was really no reason or inherent responsibility to Phoenix himself helping Maya nor presuming her innocence. The mere fact she is ‘Mia’s Sister’ in no way disassociates her from potential guilt or involvement in the murder; sibling rivalry and family tensions are older than humanity and Phoenix and Maya had certainly never met. Phoenix had no ‘responsibility’ toward her or even to ‘resolving’ the mess. Phoenix’s onus as a nice guy helping her presuming her innocence (and any lingering responsibility to Mia) would have been more than fulfilled by taking the message to Grossberg - The fact Grossberg REFUSES to take her case would invoke valid warning flags, not pity, in most cases.

* -Phoenix
* I don't have time to argue
* with you anyway. I'll go
* look elsewhere.
* -Grossberg
* *grumble*... Think not.
* -Phoenix
* Huh? Did you say something?
* -Grossberg
* I think not, I said.
* -Phoenix
* Wh-what do you mean?
* -Grossberg
* I'm terribly, terribly sorry.
* -Grossberg
* But I'm afraid that no lawyer
* worth their salt will take
* on this particular case.
* -Grossberg
* Terribly sorry, m'boy.
* -Phoenix
* Why!?
* -Grossberg
* I...
* I cannot say.
* -Grossberg

Unlike some other cases, where Phoenix’s defense of the client is partially or wholly a vehicle to uncover the ‘truth’ of the case, Phoenix’s primary concern in the case is defending MAYA. Sure, he does have obvious investment in wanting to uncover Mia’s true murderer, but throughout the case, Maya, empathy with her and a desire to defend her is at the forefront of his outer and inner dialogue. Mia (and justice related to her killer) is barely mentioned as a motivator, Phoenix is most captured by the plight of Maya, with whom he has clearly formed an intense empathetic connection clearly denoted by both his conscious and subconscious thoughts and actions. . In several ‘options’ he’s not even sure of her innocence –but the connection he feels is so strong he’s determined to try to defend her anyway.

The first game featured a primitive ‘interactive’ mechanic of ‘choose-your-own adventure style choices at key points in ‘your’ relating to Maya. But no matter what ‘options’ the player chooses at each 3-way-choice, none of them changes PHOENIX’s attitude to Maya, if the player chooses the worst ‘cold/uncaring jerk’ seeming option it is often a more resounding statement of Phoenix’s concern or connection to Maya (and vice versa) than the ‘best’ option. For example:

***Go home**********************************
* -Phoenix
* (There's nothing left
* here for me to do...)
* -Phoenix
* (She'll be better off with
* a state-appointed lawyer.)
* -Phoenix
* I think I'd better
* get home now.
* -Maya
* Good-bye.
* -Phoenix
* It was a few days later when
* I found out how the story
* ended.
* -Phoenix
* The result of the trial
* was in the newspaper.
* -Phoenix
* "Guilty."
* -Phoenix
* I'll probably never
* meet her again.
* -Phoenix
* Did I make the
* right choice?
* -Phoenix
* Will I ever know?
* -Phoenix
* Mia... if you can hear
* me, please, tell me!
* -Phoenix
* -Phoenix
* Not! I can't let
* that happen!
* -Phoenix
* I'm not leaving here until
* she takes me as her lawyer!
* CONTINUE

-Phoenix
I've made up my mind!

-Phoenix
I'm going to defend you
whether you want me to
or not!

-Maya
!

No matter what the player ‘chooses’, Phoenix doesn’t have a choice NOT to defend her!

-Maya
Why?

-Phoenix
Why?
Well...

OPTION:
***I don't know why*************************
* -Phoenix
* To be honest,
* I don't know.
* -Maya
* You don't know?
* -Phoenix
* (Is this girl sitting in
* front of me the killer?)
* -Phoenix
* (All the evidence
* seems to say "yes.")
* -Phoenix
* (But there's something
* about this whole thing
* that smells... fishy.)
* -Phoenix
* (That witness's strange
* behavior... was that
* all an act?)
* -Phoenix
* (And the way that lawyer
* refused to help out Maya...)
* -Phoenix
* (But more than all that,
* she has no one left
* to help her!)
* -Phoenix
* (Nothing is more sad,
* or more lonely than that.)
* -Phoenix
* (I know... I've been there.
* A long time ago.)
* -Phoenix
* (Why did I become a lawyer
* in the first place...?)
* -Phoenix
* (Because someone has to look
* out for the people who have
* no one on their side.)
* -Phoenix
* But the one thing I do know is...

-Phoenix
Maya...

-Phoenix
I won't abandon you.
You can count on me.

-Maya
Are you going to
be my attorney?

OPTION:
***Sorry, not a chance**********************
* -Phoenix
* (Maybe if I joke a bit
* she'll cheer up...)
* -Phoenix
* Hah hah!
* No way, Jose!
* -Phoenix
* Just kidding...
* -Maya
* -Maya
* -Maya
* -Phoenix
* (Eh heh. Whoops.
* That didn't go so well.)
* -Maya
* ...Heh...
* -Phoenix
* Huh?
* -Phoenix
* M-Maya...?
* -Phoenix
* Was that a... chuckle?
* -Maya
* What?
* -Maya
* N-no!
* -Maya
* -Maya
* It wasn't very
* believable, was it?
* -Phoenix
* (Not really...)
* -Maya
* I-I'm sorry!
* -Maya
* I just thought, since
* you'd made a joke...
* -Maya
* Please, don't mind me!
* You're doing just fine!
* -Phoenix
* (Who's trying to
* cheer up who here!?)
* -Maya
* -Maya
* I knew it.
* -Maya
* No one will believe me.
* -Phoenix
* What?
* -Maya
* Even you--when you found me
* in the office. You looked at
* me like I had done it!

Phoenix’s ‘joke’ fails, so Maya tries to ‘help’ him by pretending to be amused – very interesting.

---

DEDICATION TO HELP IN ANY WAY – INCLUDING BEYOND KNOWN LIMITATIONS

Maya (compare to Iris, 3-1) doesn’t abandon Phoenix to his ‘fate’ after she is set free. Maya is desperate to do anything, really anything he asks, to help, with the intensity of dedication she shows to Phoenix from that point on in the series.

Maya
Mr. Wright, please tell me,
is there anything I can do?

-Phoenix
Um... well...

***Defend me in court***********************
* -Phoenix
* Alright, you can be my
* defense lawyer tomorrow!
* -Maya
* Alright!
* -Phoenix
* Huh?
* -Maya
* Leave it to me! I am Mia's
* sister, after all! Lawyership
* runs in our blood!
* -Phoenix
* (Wasn't it E.S.P. that
* ran in your blood...?)
* -Maya
* I'd better run to the
* bookstore and pick up a copy
* of "Law for Rookies."

***Cheer me on in court*********************
* -Phoenix
* Well, you could cheer
* for me in court.
* -Maya
* Cheer for you?
* You mean... like a
* cheerleader?
* -Phoenix
* Huh? Um, yeah, like that.
* -Maya
* Alright!
* Leave it to me!
* -Phoenix
* Huh?
* -Maya
* I'd better go get a uniform
* and some pom-poms...!

***Help me break out of here****************
* -Phoenix
* Right. Okay, listen up.
* I want you to help me break
* out of here!
* -Maya
* You mean... a jail break?
* -Phoenix
* Yeah. Tonight's our
* only chance!
* -Maya
* Alright!
* -Phoenix
* Huh?
* -Maya
* Oh, I'd better go get a
* hacksaw while the stores
* are still open.
* -Maya
* Oh, oh! And a rope ladder,
* and a getaway car!
* Can you drive?

-Phoenix

-Phoenix
W-wait. Wait wait wait.

-Maya
What what what?

-Phoenix
I'm kidding! It was a joke!

-Maya
No way!

-Phoenix
No really, I was kidding.
But thanks. It's good to know
you're on my side.

-Phoenix
(And there really isn't
anything you can do
for me anyway...)

-Maya
But... but I can't just sit
here and do nothing!

-Maya
I've got to give that
man a piece of my mind!

-Phoenix
(Just a piece...?)

-Phoenix
Okay.

-Phoenix
Then, come to the
court tomorrow.

-Maya
O-okay! I'll be there!

-Maya
I'll show them
a thing or two!

Phoenix may be touched by her support, but he underestimates her, assuming she can’t do anything (not unreasonable or overly dismissive, given the sheer ‘unexpected’ method of helping.) This, as we can see, mirrors Maya’s own initial (and reasonable) misgivings over Phoenix’s ability to defend her (Mia’s advice) or believe her (nobody else does) before her trust was gained.

-Phoenix
(And there really isn't
anything you can do
for me anyway...)

-Maya
But... but I can't just sit
here and do nothing!

[…]

-Phoenix
Then, come to the
court tomorrow.

With some bravado, he assumes he can defend himself, by himself.

-Maya
Your defense attorney isn't
even here yet! He's not...

-Phoenix
I'll be defending myself.

-Maya
Whaaaat!?

And, naturally, MAYA must save him.

---

MAYA’S BELIEF IN PHOENIX – EVEN WHEN MIA DIDN’T BELIEVE IN PHOENIX

Maya’s ‘in training’, and it’s clear her powers (at least ones strong enough to channel) haven’t actually emerged yet. In fact, as she explains to Phoenix, she can’t channel even to SAVE HER OWN LIFE to get information about the murder. Can’t channel to save her own life – but Maya can spontaneously catalyst her powers to save PHOENIX. Think of the significance of this.

Similarly, with Phoenix as both protagonist and competent lawyer later on, we tend to forget exactly how tenuous his position must have been at the time, lost and alone with the unexpected and shocking demise of his mentor after at tutorlage of exactly ONE trial – and the game takes great pains to remind both us, and Phoenix, of this, and rub in his face that even Mia didn’t believe in him. He had potential, but only 3 years of further refining would a lawyer make… if he took a case, she’d assume he’d LOSE.

-Mia
"The only thing he's lacking
is... experience."

-Maya
Huh, sounds like it was fun!

-Maya
Well, I know who to go to if
I ever get into trouble now!

-Mia
"I don't know, Maya."

-Mia
"I think you might want
to wait... give him three
more years."

-Mia
"That is, unless you want
to be found guilty."

-Maya
That's what she said!

-Phoenix

-Maya
I-I'm sorry!

-Maya
I didn't mean to
trouble you...

-Phoenix
No, it's okay.
It's true, I guess.

Mia thought Phoenix had potential…. but wouldn’t have trusted him to defend Maya, declaring point-blank he WOULD lose. The relationship dynamic between Phoenix and Maya – from both reciprocations – is substantially different to the Phoenix<>Mia connection. Maya isn’t ever a ‘Mia Lite’ – already she’s subverting the ‘wisdom’ and ‘advice’ of her sister to believe instead in Phoenix and his abilities – an undying belief she maintains henceforth (Mia through the series, as here, being detached, cryptic and colder, even if she clearly does have strong positive affect toward Phoenix.)

When they establish their ‘trust contract’, Maya is going directly against the advice of her expert sister – MIA – to believe in Phoenix and trust in his ability to defend her. The bond of trust is mutual (Phoenix ceases any speculation Maya might not be innocent – forever after!) – and remains, no matter what the claims or adversities, from that point on.

In the spirit of her original trust in his ability to defend her, Maya believes in Phoenix as a person most notably in 2-4 (where she believes in him as a person to do the ‘right’ thing, whatever that may mean for her, her life for sacrifice in his hands – Mia’s ‘belief’, as here, is more confined to watching and maybe steering the train wreck) and even 3-2 (where she trusts in his plan to take the Ron deLite case to get to the truth even if superficially it seems it is a ‘betrayal’ since he stole her urn – the ‘trust-exchange’ is repeated here, which brings a tear to Phoenix’s eye.)

Is obsessive loyalty just some dumb and endearing trait of Maya generally that she has ‘imprinted’ on Phoenix? Definitely not, as Maya shows no such intense dedication and loyalty to anyone else. Her relationship with Mia was strong – but she was pursuing a lifepath very different and separate to hers (and is negating her advice to trust Phoenix instead already). Her loyalty is not to Kurain or her mother (as evidenced by her lack of training and extended periods away.) Her loyalty is not to Pearl (they maintain a warm cousinly relationship, but Maya certainly has not legally adopted her, or much supervised her and Pearl remains living in Kurain outside of her visits whilst Maya remains around… Phoenix.) In fact, Maya is someone with confusing (and understandable) divided loyalties with regards to her family… but there is one person to whom her loyalty is NOT divisible, and the same could be said about him with regards to her. The Phoenix<>Maya unbreakable bond of trust is simply not shared with any other characters. Edgeworth, Phoenix feels, ‘betrays’ their bond of trust to the point he is ‘dead to him’ even when alive – though it is regained, it’s a professional relationship (though a deep friendship). Phoenix can trust Mia – but only to a point, as he observes, particularly starkly in 2-2 where Mia is not only throwing up psyche-locks, but protecting Morgan and her truths from Phoenix - even at risk to her own sister! And Mia’s assistance, though useful, is erratic and cryptic throughout the games.

Maya can always perform beyond her limitations to the next level – but only for Phoenix, not in context of herself. The pattern starts here (her initial channelling catalyst to save his life, not being able to when it was her own at stake) but is repeated throughout the series. ALL her ‘Kurain Powers’ surface in context of Phoenix and her loyalty to him, rather than out of loyalty to Kurain/the Master position of which she is not abdicative but somewhat lukewarm/her mother/even Mia. She channels for Phoenix (not clients in Kurain), she only returns to train in Kurain to attain the power to return and help Phoenix, she insists on his presence in 2-2 as the ‘one thing’ she desires… Obsessive loyalty is not a Maya character trait, obsessive loyalty to Phoenix, it seems, is.

---

“I WON’T ABANDON YOU” – 2ND FACT OF PHOENIX-MAYA BOND ‘CONTRACT’

-Phoenix
Maya...

-Phoenix
I won't abandon you.
You can count on me.

-Maya

-Maya
That's so kind of you...

-Maya
*sniff*...

“I won’t abandon you"

Misty’s abandonment of Maya would deeply affect any child, Mia has left her (for the city and now, death), and, of course, Grossberg and all other lawyers have just abandoned Maya to her ‘fate’. Phoenix is probably unaware (at least on a conscious level – his instinctive empathy may likely be more concrete) but this is precisely what Maya needs to hear at this point in time- as her tears and thanks confirm.
Many speculate Phoenix has his own ‘abandonment issues – and it certainly would be unsurprising given his past traumas such as the Dollie-Iris ‘abandonment’ and his (over)reactions and borderline psychological malfunctions to both Edgeworth leaving (‘choosing death – ‘betrayal’) and even Maya temporarily leaving to Kurain, which sends him into borderline clinical depression.
Thus this core facet in their bond ‘contract’, established here, is clearly compensating hence-unspoken but empathetically sensed vulnerabilities and needs.

In fact, it must have been intensely meaningful to Maya, as immediately after, the conversation continues with Maya signifying her belief in Phoenix – going against the expert advice of Mia!:

-Phoenix
Well!

-Phoenix
Let's fight this one
and get you out of here!

-Maya
R-right!
Thank you!

-Phoenix
(Whew, she smiled at last.
She looks like an entirely
different person!)

-Phoenix
One last question...
You are innocent, right?

-Maya
Yes!

-Maya
And I trust you...

-Maya
So you trust me,
too, okay?

-Phoenix
It's a deal.

---

MAYA’S PRACTICAL ASSISTANCE – NOT JUST A COMEDIC BIMBO

-Judge
Very well. Mr. Wright,
you may begin your
cross-examination.

-Phoenix
Y-yes, Your Honor.

-Phoenix
(Cross-examine what...?)

-Phoenix
(I couldn't see a single
contradiction in that
testimony...)

...whoosh...

SMACK!

-Phoenix
(Hey! Maya just threw
something at me...)

-Phoenix
(What's this?)

-Phoenix
("When my sister couldn't
find any contradictions
in a witness's testimony")

-Phoenix
("she would bluff it and
press the witness on
every detail!")

-Phoenix
("The witness always slips
up and says something
wrong...")

-Phoenix
("It worked lots of times!")

-Phoenix
(Heh... I should have expected
Maya would know some of
her sister's tricks!)

-Phoenix
(Alright.
Let's give this a try!)

One of Phoenix’s strategies in, well, EVERY trial from then on? It may be the first case together, but already Maya is assisting Phoenix in the usual game mechanic/dynamic we see every case by providing ‘hints’ to case strategy, not to mention presenting him with critical/decisive evidence (it’s Maya who shows the initiative to insist on his having the recorded cell phone conversation, which is integral to taking out April May and uncovering the truth of the case; and although the key ‘turnabout’ evidence is really a product of Mia, it’s intrinsically tied up with Maya also – addressed to her, the reason SHE was arrested in the first place so the whole saga-White capture occurred as it did, and Mia would never have been able to ‘hint’ its significance if Maya hadn’t taken her powers to the next level to channel the first time, solely out of her pure desire to help Phoenix escape the murder charge.) Furthermore, she gives him the lead to ‘White’ in the first place.
---

NOT JUST A STEREOTYPICAL TEEN-GIRL-SIDEKICK-COMEDIC-FORMULA ROLE

Maya’s detractors point to the later reused ‘formula-sidekick-role’ as a means to demote the importance of her association to Phoenix. But it was only from the DS-rerelease-only 1-5 onwards that ‘teen-girl-sidekick-to-protagonist’ was demoted to stereotypical and reused trope-‘role’. Maya was constructed as MAYA, not someone to ‘fill’ a ‘formulatic reused ‘role’ the way later ‘assistants’ arguably were.

The major purpose of Ema, Kay, et al is to bounce off the protagonist for comedic purpose. Is this, then, the main purpose of Maya’s ‘accompanying’ of Phoenix, as a comedy duo? NO! Unlike the other assistants, Maya’s main role is NOT as a ‘comedy sidekick’ as evidenced by the context of the Phoenix-Maya introduction case. The entirety of this case (and Phoenix and Maya’s association and partnership in it) is DEAD SERIOUS and DEVOID of any Phoenix-Maya comedy. It’s even more poignant as so early in the series, such events are far more shocking (and not the standard fare one comes to expect with murders and protagonists on trial every case.) Maya is established as a Partner to Phoenix in myriad other ways before any of the ‘comedy partner’ material ever surfaces (confined to a token scene at the end of the case.)

Contrast, also, to the Apollo-Trucy ‘meeting’ in 4-1. This, too, may have been a ‘serious case’, but Apollo and Trucy show no actual CONNECTION. In 4-1 itself, she remains as only a ‘strange mysterious girl’ who only gives him questionable (FORGED) ‘evidence’. The Apollo-Trucy ‘connection’ is also ‘real’, but rather executed by actual blood relationship (siblings) of which both remain oblivious – Phoenix and Maya’s is NOT. (The fact GS4 was fond of superficial ‘opposites’ adds fuel to the argument Phoenix and Maya’s relationship is not ‘SIBLINGS’.)

---

MIA’S ‘WILL’

-Maya
See? Mia wrote me a letter.

-Maya
"Take care of Phoenix for me."

-Phoenix
Take care of... huh?

Maya’s detractors tend to assume Phoenix acquired Maya by virtue of Mia’s inheritance to him, with Phoenix as her ‘babysitter’. However, simple logic dictates this is not the case, if Mia had a will – which she surely did – her possessions such as the office and legal firm would be left to her only immediate family – ie. MAYA – and there is likely no mention of Phoenix, even if they were close, a professional mentor whom he calls ‘Chief’ is hardly a ‘relationship which includes you as benefactor in their will’. It is clear. In effect, Maya has ‘adopted’ PHOENIX.

-Maya
She means the office!
This office!

No she doesn’t.

-Maya
You know what this means?
We're partners!

END

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

You see, people?

THIS is why icer is awesome.

~~~

I usually just lurk around CR, but Nick/Maya Day is just too amazing to stay silent for. :pearl-blush:

So, I will add to the pile of P/M stuff by contributing a little story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7353188/1/Who_We_Were
Summary: The only thing permanent is change. A small, sad one-shot about moving on.

Also, icer: OMGASDFJKG that is absolutely awesome. Everything was detailed and well thought-out. You captured their dynamic pretty well.

Can't wait to see what others have done. :)

As promised, here's the first chapter of the tentatively titled Turnabout Legacy. This is the continuation of Turnabout Catalyst cataloging the long seven years of Phoenix Wright as the "Forging Attorney" and what he and all his friends were doing. If you have not read TC I highly suggest reading at least the last two or three chapters (minus epilogue) since this picks right up on the next day after it ends.

Unfortunately I've become a lot busier lately and haven't had much time or desire to write but here's this at least. Enjoy!

You also might notice a gag I reused in Job Hunting. It was actually here first.

Spoiler: Turnabout Legacy, Chapter 1
April 20, 9:58am
Wright and Co. Law Office

There was no passionate, unbridled sex the previous night. There was no sweltering romance or overwhelming gasps of pleasure. There were only two best friends that finally understood how they had come to truly love each other. For Maya Fey, for right now, that was enough.
The new Master of Kurain laid in the warm morning light with her eyes half lidded. She simply watched the slumbering form of Phoenix Wright with a contented smile, trying to keep thoughts of their predicament at bay. She just wanted to be happy if only for a few more minutes. Their problems could wait until they were up and dressed.
Despite having spent countless nights in this apartment, Maya had not once even sat on this bed. It was Phoenix’s bed. It was taboo. It would only encourage that silly, impossible crush she had developed the very moment he swept in after her sister’s death and made everything right. Now, however, she was in it; she was under its covers and wrapped up with its owner.
Phoenix stirred in his sleep. He groaned and opened an eye to spot a lovely young brunette looking back at him. He only stared at her for a time, processing things slowly as his mind started working again. “So it wasn’t a dream… or a nightmare?” he asked with a voice still rough from waking.
Maya smiled sympathetically. “If it was we’re still in it. How are you feeling, Nick?”
“I just lost my job and discovered I’m in love with my best friend on the same day. How do you classify that?”
Maya sleepily shrugged on her side.
“But you know what?” Phoenix asked. “Right now, I think I’m doing okay.” He reached out his arm and draped it over Maya.
Maya was almost startled by the touch. It seemed some of the invisible barriers set up as “just friends” were still trying to make themselves known. She would not be bound by them any more. Turning her head, she kissed the closest part of the arm to her lips. “We can just stay in bed forever and the world will go away, right?” she asked.
Phoenix eyed her tired smile and tousled bed-head. At some point she had gone from just cute to beautiful to him. (Did it just happen overnight?) “I don’t know, but you’re making a pretty good case right now,” he responded.
(Oh no, he was always the responsible one.) “You’re not gonna become a hobo now, are you, Nick?”
The former attorney chuckled under his breath. “I think I know someone who won’t let me. Then again, I’m pretty sure I can overpower her if I have to.”
“Hardly the way to speak to someone who’s already in bed with you.” Maya lifted a finger to enunciate her next point. “I’m also the Master of the Kurain Channeling Technique and have power beyond your wildest dreams.”
“Such as?”
Maya’s hand fell to the bed. “I don’t know. They probably would have told me if I didn’t run away last night just to end up in bed with you.” She frowned. “You know, teasing you just isn’t the same when it’s not all out of context and embarrassing.”
Phoenix smiled and pulled her in to him. “It’s great, isn’t it?”
“I love you, Nick,” she said. “I really do.” She smiled brightly at the words. “I sure like saying that.”
Phoenix smiled back at her. He had only recently come to realize his feelings but the more he thought about it the more he saw his own warning signs. He could not pinpoint when she had changed from Mia’s kid sister to the full blown woman in his arms, but it did not matter.
“I really love you too, Maya,” he replied in kind. Part of him had worried that he was making a mistake; taking advantage of her compassion. He feared he would wake up the next morning feeling different. Now he knew he did not make a choice last night but had merely confessed one he made long ago. “I’m… I’m glad you came back for me.”
“Well you’d be lost without me, you know.”
Phoenix chuckled inwardly. “I know.”
“I just wish we didn’t have to hide us.”
There was the catch. On the one hand were Phoenix’s disbarment and his conspiracy theories. He was convinced the Gavin brothers were linked to it and he was determined to find out why. The magatama’s reaction to Kristoph’s very presence was bizarre. It chilled him to the bone and there was not even any question asked. He scared Phoenix, making him fear for Maya’s safety as well as his own should the attorney discover Phoenix was looking in to him and his brother.
On the other hand was Kurain Village. It was no secret the majority of the elders never liked Phoenix in the first place. Now that he was a sham in the eyes of the public, they would think even less of him. Knowledge that the Master was in love with him would not only ruin Maya’s reputation but also heap shame on the village itself just like the DL-6 incident.
So there they lay; a modern day Romeo and Juliet. All they had to do was clear Phoenix’s name and everything would be fine, or so they hoped. He would get his badge back, he could help Maya lead the village while she helped him defend clients, they could get married, have 2.5 kids, two cars in their garage, a white picket fence, and a turkey on the table every Thanksgiving. It was such a simple concept.
“Do you think it’s worth it?” Phoenix asked.
Maya looked stunned. “Of course you’re worth it! Do… do you not think…”
“I don’t mean us,” Phoenix quickly explained. “I mean figuring out what happened. I don’t want to hide you away, Maya. Just say the word and I’ll forget about everything.”
“No, Nick. The Gavins or whoever can’t get away with this. You’ve always fought for truth, justice, and the American way. If you don’t do this you’ll lose a part of who you are.” She smiled and cuddled in to him. “I like all those parts.”
Phoenix held her tightly and took her words to heart. “I suppose it won’t just go away, will it? There’s no proof whoever did this isn’t finished ruining my life… our lives.” He frowned. “Besides, even if I gave up, I’d still be the ‘Forging Attorney.’ The elders wouldn’t let you associate with someone like me. We’re stuck, aren’t we?”
“Mmhm,” Maya mumbled in to his collarbone.
Phoenix glanced over Maya’s head to spot his alarm clock. He sighed. “I should have been at the courthouse by now… you know, if I wasn’t disbarred.”
“And I could have insisted you come back to bed and then you tell me how you have to get to work and I get up and make you breakfast that you don’t eat because you’re late so you just rush out the door with a piece of toast in your mouth.”
The scenario ran through Phoenix’s head as though it were a sitcom; laugh track and all. “Is the Master of Kurain even allowed to be domestic?” (Never mind you wouldn’t have even raced over here if I wasn’t ruined in the first place…)
Maya wrinkled her nose. “I’ll probably have attendants or something, I think. I don’t know how I feel about that.” She looked Phoenix in the eye with a smirk. “They probably all have to be female, Nick, sorry.”
Phoenix groaned at her and rolled over, pushing out of bed. “I’ve been waiting on you hand and foot for three years already anyway,” he taunted while stretching. He grabbed a t-shirt and threw it over his head, covering his formerly bare skin much to Maya’s dismay.
“Hmph,” Maya replied, dragging herself out of bed as well. “Glad to see love didn’t change you at all, you old grouch.”
She was about to chuck her pillow at him when the Pink Princess theme song began playing from the other side of the room. Maya grumbled and walked over to her robes which were folded up and placed on Phoenix’s dresser. She retrieved her cell phone and noticed she had already missed one call from Kurain Village only a few hours earlier. Both she and Phoenix must have slept through it. Steeling herself, she answered the phone as nonchalantly as possible.
Phoenix made his way to the bathroom to both brush his teeth and give Maya some privacy with her call. Even still he left the door open in a concession to his curiosity.
“No, no, there’s nothing to worry about Mystic Mala,” Maya insisted.
There was a pause.
“Of course I’m still not with him. I, er, I went to find out what happened; then I got the things I had left at the office. After that it was just so late I decided to get a room in the city. I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner.”
Another pause.
“I’m almost on my way, Mystic Mala. Don’t worry about…”
Shorter pause.
“Well you can tell her to cram her wild-eyed theories up…”
Pause.
“I’ll be back before dinner, Mystic Mala. I just had to clear things up. Okay? Good bye, Mystic Mala, I’ll see you soon. Okay. Bye.”
Maya barely restrained herself from throwing her phone at the dresser and settled for letting loose the most frustrated growl she ever had. Her fists balled and her whole body shook as she let it out with as much self-control as she could muster.
“Kurain?” Phoenix mumbled over his toothbrush. Opening his mouth to speak forced him to cup a hand under his chin and quickly rush back in to the bathroom and spit in to the sink or risk drooling on himself.
Maya counted him lucky that he had left the room or she would have probably thrown her phone at him instead. She really felt like throwing things. “Selene decided that since I was gone for a night I had already ‘run away like my mother’ and that I had eloped with ‘that bottom-feeding forger.’” Maya groaned again. “Now even Mala’s against you, Nick. She sounded really nice about it, but I know that was just for my sake.”
Phoenix swished water in his mouth and spit it out. “I thought she was the nice one. Did she really call me that?”
“I’m pretty sure those were Selene’s words more than her own.”
“Well, at least she doesn’t call me ‘good sir.’” The former attorney stepped back in to the bedroom.
“And bottom-feeding forger is better?”
“What can I say? I appreciate honesty,” Phoenix said sardonically. (It would be so easy for us to just give up right here. She wouldn’t be Master, I wouldn’t be conducting illegal investigations, we could just be miserable has-beens together… but she’s right. That’s not who we are.)
Maya stuffed her hands in the pockets of the gray hoodie Phoenix loaned her for the night. He often let her borrow it when the need would arise. In fact, she wore it more than he did any more. “I guess they kind of have a point, though,” she muttered.
Phoenix sighed. “Thanks, Maya.”
“Oh! Not about you, I meant about me. I did just bail on them without any warning.”
“But you did have Pearls let Malahandra know you were headed to the city though, right? The least they could do is wait longer than a day before they try to replace you.” The former attorney grabbed a pair of pants and began putting them on over his boxers.
Maya rolled her eyes. “That’s just Selene. She was probably already trying to replace me during the induction ceremony.”
Phoenix rolled his eyes in return. “Well, I guess I should let you get changed so you can head back before Pearls is placed on your throne.”
Maya picked up her robes and started moving for the bathroom. “I don’t get a throne, Nick.” She stopped in her tracks and cocked her head in thought. “Now that you mention it I should ask for one. Ooh, and a scepter. Mom had that awesome staff. You think I could get something like that?” She looked at him expectantly.
Phoenix only looked back at her with a raised eyebrow.
Maya smiled flippantly. “Come on, Nick, cheer up. I don’t want what little time we get together wasted being emo kids.” She tossed her robes in to the bathroom door behind her and started walking backwards that direction. Slowly, step by step, she began drawing the zipper down on the hoodie with her lips parting. Her Master’s talisman dangled tantalizingly from her neck. Once what she determined to be exactly enough cleavage was revealed she shut the door, obstructing Phoenix’s vision.
The former attorney stood paralyzed. One moment Maya had been angry, the next she was just being her usual irreverent self, and the next she was trying to act sensually. He had no idea what to make of it and wondered if she even did. Maybe it was just her way of making the best of things. Either way it was going to be awfully lonely when she left.
“I hate combs, Nick,” rang a voice from behind the door, snapping him out of his trance. “Don’t you own a brush?”
“I don’t think so,” Phoenix answered.
“Ugh, fine, I’ll just use mine.”
Phoenix threw his hands exasperatedly at the door. “If you had a brush, why didn’t you just use that?”
“You’re my boyfriend now, Nick. That means I have to use all your stuff. It’s the rules!”
(Maya, where are these rules coming from?) “Then I’ll make us some breakfast while you’re getting ready. You can rush out the door with toast in your mouth.” After hearing Maya laugh he left his room and headed downstairs.

Maya entered Phoenix’s modest kitchen fully dressed and her hair still damp from the shower. Even in her robes she still wore his gray hoodie over them, though now it remained unzipped. A whiff of the air told her there was food to be had and she knew exactly what it was.
“Cinnamon sugar is the best kind!” she happily announced. “You’d better keep these on hand for when I visit.”
Phoenix nodded in agreement and handed her a plate with two toaster pastries on it. It might not have been food fit for a Master but she graciously accepted it and took a seat at the table to dig in. From the corner of her eye, Maya saw Phoenix set a glass in front of her and pour her some grape juice before taking a swig from the bottle.
“Okay, Nick, I have to ask,” Maya started over a full mouth. “When did you start drinking grape juice?”
Phoenix took the bottle from his lips. “Yesterday. I had a lot of sorrows to drown and the store was having a special. I figured it’s just one step away from wine, right? I bought up a whole bunch and I think I’ve developed a taste for it.” (“A step away from wine?” Maya, you’ve come off on me.)
“So the only reason you aren’t a drunk is because you’re a cheapskate?”
Phoenix shrugged and took another drink. He watched Maya shake her head and continue her breakfast. He smiled, remembering the first time she had worn that old hoodie of his. She and Pearl had simply appeared in the middle of a rainstorm one night pounding on his door to be let in. As it turned out, they decided on the spur of the moment that they just wanted to hang out with him and would not let silly things like common sense stand in their way. As they huddled together on the couch in warm clothes, watching movies, and eating popcorn he found it impossible to admonish them for such reckless behavior. He wanted things like that to happen again. He had to clear his name.
Once Maya finished her breakfast she stood from the table. “Thanks, Nick. You sure know your way around a toaster.”
“Yeah, maybe I can be a world class chef now…”
Maya knitted her brow and peeled off his jacket before handing it to him. “We’ll figure this out,” she promised. “Everything will be okay, right?”
Phoenix nodded more in assurance than belief. “Yeah. We’ve been through worse.” (Everything feels so weird right now. It’s like neither one of us knows how to act…) He slipped on the hoodie. It still carried Maya’s warmth.
Maya sighed and sat back down. “I don’t just mean… ‘that.’ I mean us too. I haven’t really had a relationship before. I hope I do it right…” She hid her face and timidly asked, “I… I was sexy before, right? Going in to the bathroom?”
Phoenix was glad she had turned so she could not see the laughter he was hiding. “Only the sexiest.”
“I’m serious! I have a boyfriend to be sexy for now and I want to do it right!”
Phoenix let his chuckling escape. “Don’t worry. You’re beautiful.”
“Then why are you laughing?”
He leaned down and kissed Maya on the side of the head. “Because you’re you, Maya, and that’s exactly what I want.”
Maya smiled slightly, deciding to be convinced. “Alright, I believe you… just let me know if I screw it up.”
Phoenix shook his head. “I think if anyone’s going to screw this up it’ll be me. I’m the one keeping you at arm’s length, remember?” He placed his hands on her shoulders and started massaging in consolation.
The woman’s head rolled back in euphoria and a small moan escaped her lips. All that desk slamming must have given Phoenix stronger hands than she was expecting. “Don’t stop and you can keep me at arm’s length.” She opened her eyes to look at him upside down. “Let’s tell the elders you’re a masseuse now so they’ll let me keep you.”
“I thought your attendants had to be female.”
Maya’s lips turned upward in amusement. “You might look cute in a skirt.”
Phoenix removed his hands from the woman’s shoulders. “Maybe I should just set about clearing my name instead.”
Sighing, Maya sat up straight and started getting back to her feet. “I guess so. Then… I guess I should get back, huh?”
Phoenix begrudgingly nodded.
“Are you sure you’ll be okay without me?” Maya asked.
(Not a chance.) “I’ll feel worse if I let those elders make things any harder on you.”
Maya seemed to accept that. The pair filed out of the loft apartment and down the stairs in to what was only yesterday the Wright and Co. Law Office. Each step they took was devoid of conversation. They both already knew how they felt. Instead, they entered the office to figure out how to say goodbye.
Maya stopped in front of the door to the outside unable to open it. Overwhelming apprehension pulled on her like a magnet keeping her in the office. She turned around suddenly latching on to Phoenix in the tightest hug she could manage.
“I don’t want to step out that door,” she breathed. “When I do… we can’t be a couple any more…”
Phoenix held on to her and shut his eyes. He could have told her they would still be a couple no matter where they were but he knew exactly what she meant. The instant she passed that threshold the masquerade had to begin. So instead, there they stood; trapping each other in an embrace they were too afraid to break.
“Nick,” Maya said after a time. “What are you going to tell the others? Edgeworth, Maggey, Gumshoe… They’ll all wonder what really happened… and where I went.”
Phoenix exhaled over Maya’s shoulder, still not letting go of her. “I could always tell them you just left me in a childish huff.”
Maya frowned. “Does it have to be a childish one? Couldn’t you say it’s more like a divorce where I threw things at you and dumped all your clothes on the lawn?”
“What lawn?”
Maya sighed. “I’m serious, Nick. Everyone else will want to help you too. If you think Kristoph is that dangerous, I’m not the only one who could get hurt. I don’t want you getting hurt either.” Her voice began to waver. “I… I don’t want us winding up like Sis and Diego.”
“I won’t let that happen, Maya.” Phoenix squeezed her tighter.
“How can you be so sure? After yesterday… I feel like all your luck has been used up.”
Phoenix lifted Maya’s head so she looked at him. “I promise you I’ll be careful. I’m probably just being paranoid like you said.”
Maya looked away from Phoenix and rested her head on his chest again. She knew she should not try to stop him. She knew that if he did not investigate they could never move forward. She still did not like it. There was also one other matter that scared her even more.
“Nick,” she started again. “Come to Kurain with me.”
“Maya, you know I can’t…”
“I know you can’t enter the village. I just want you to go back with me. Please. I… I don’t want to tell Pearly alone.”
(Pearls… she’s going to have a lot dropped on her too…) Phoenix could not refuse the request. If nothing else, the little girl deserved to see him and Maya as official “special someones.” He nodded his head.
Maya smiled in relief. “I’ll give her a call and tell her to meet us at the train station.”
Phoenix released Maya and moved to the desk where he had left his suit jacket the previous night. He stopped and looked at it as though it were a body in a casket. His hand moved to the naked lapel and he ran his thumb over the spot his badge used to rest. “I don’t know if I can ever wear this again,” he sighed.
Maya moved in behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders and her head next to his. “You can still yell ‘objection’ at me if you want,” she offered.
Phoenix gave a single chuckle. “Maya, you’re the least objectionable thing in my life right now.” He turned his head and felt her rest her head on his. (How can that feel so weird but so natural at the same time?) Zipping up his hoodie he decided to just go as he was.
“Nick, your suit is part of you…” Maya complained. “Promise me you’ll wear it again when we catch whoever did this.”
Phoenix nodded, accepting her terms. “We should probably get going before the elders call you again.”
“Ugh, yeah.” Maya waved to the plant in the corner. “Bye, Charley!”
“We have to talk to Pearls before they lock you up too,” Phoenix added. He grabbed his keys and phone from his desk and started leading Maya to the door. “You know, I’ve been wondering, just how did she originally get the notion we were ‘special someones’ anyway?”
Maya was taken off guard by the question. She blushed and looked away from him. “Well, remember when I went back to Kurain after you got Edgeworth off the hook?”
“Yeah?”
“I, well, I kinda wouldn’t shut up about you…”
“Really?”
Maya puffed out her cheeks. “It’s not funny, Nick!”
Phoenix smirked, apparently disagreeing with her assessment. “Is that why you wouldn’t do your first channeling without me?”
Maya’s face was completely red by this point. “…Kinda…”
The former lawyer smiled at her, even if she was looking anywhere but in his eye. “To tell you the truth I couldn’t even work after you left,” he admitted, just to share in the embarrassment. “It was like all the fun had just been sucked out of law.”
Maya watched Phoenix shut the door behind them and lock it up. “Maybe we should have known we’d wind up like this.” She frowned. “Together, I mean, not… you know.” Maya pulled out her phone to call Pearl rather than continue reiterating their dilemma.
Phoenix nodded again. “We’re still together on the ride over,” he said in compensation.
He watched her hair catch the sun as she brushed it aside to place the phone to her ear. She really was beautiful; even without trying. Something told him that this two hour trip would be over far too soon.

April 20, 3:04pm
Medium Valley Train Station

There was a cry of “Mr. Nick! Mystic Maya!” from somewhere in the crowd. Several people complained and stepped backwards to avoid stepping on the nine-year-old girl barreling through them. Phoenix knelt down and caught Pearl in a hug as she collided with him.
“Mr. Nick, are you okay? Did Mystic Maya help you? What’s a forgin’ turney? Why aren’t you wearing your suit?” The girl had a million questions to ask and the two adults with her knew she would be getting even more answers than she wanted.
“Let’s go somewhere private to talk, okay?” Phoenix requested.
Pearl nodded and hurriedly followed after him and Maya. They chose the small (and thankfully empty) burger joint they frequented at the train station; Tramburger Station. It specialized in elongated hamburgers on sub sandwich rolls to simulate a train shape. Maya often referred to it as “the last sign of civilization before you hit Kurain.”
The trio took a seat in a secluded booth in the corner; Phoenix and Maya together on one side and Pearl on the other.
Phoenix pressed his teeth in to his upper lip for a while before deciding to start with the young medium’s last question first. It seemed to be the best way to ease in to things. “Pearls, the reason I’m not in my suit… is because I’m not a lawyer any more.”
Pearl looked at him with devastated eyes, as if he had just taken her favorite ball and popped it. “But… you are a lawyer, Mr. Nick. You can’t just stop being one!”
(Oh geez, if Pearls made that face at the Bar Association meeting I’d probably still have my badge…) “Some evidence I used turned out to be fake. The people in charge think I was trying to cheat… so they won’t let me be an attorney any more.” (This is so hard. Maya, say something!)
“Mr. Nick, you would never cheat!” Pearl insisted.
Phoenix leaned forward on the table. (I did… just not knowingly.) “I didn’t, Pearls. Someone else did and framed me. Now we’re getting to the hard part…”
Maya leaned forward as well. She felt this next line was her responsibility. “Pearly, we aren’t going to be able to see Nick for a while.”
“Wh-what?” Pearl frantically looked back and forth at the faces in front of her. She had just been told she was losing the closet thing to a father figure and simply could not accept that. It had to be some kind of joke.
Phoenix took her tiny hands in his in an attempt to calm her. “I just have to figure out what happened, Pearls. You remember how I always investigated things, right?”
“So we have to find out who really cheated?”
“‘We’ can’t, Pearls. The guy I think did it could be really dangerous. I don’t want you or Maya getting hurt so I have to do this alone.”
Pearl’s eyes began to water. “B-but we always help you…”
“Pearls…”
“Mystic Maya is your special someone. Sh-she’ll get lonely!” Pearl’s eyes scanned the pair again hoping for any sign that her case was being made. Instead they only looked back at her just as pensively. Pearl’s gaze fell to the table. She sniffled and pulled her hands out of Phoenix’s. “Why do the men always have to leave?”
“He’s not leaving us, Pearly,” Maya quickly tried to assure her.
“No!” Pearl shouted over her tears. “He always denied being your special someone! Don’t… Don’t try to… to…” Her speech was choked off by the lump in her throat. She had truly believed Phoenix was different but her fairytale was crashing down around her.
Phoenix quickly moved to Pearl’s side to comfort her. The young medium tried to push him off but was far too upset to succeed. “Pearls, I promise I’m not leaving you,” he swore, “and I’m not leaving Maya either.”
Pearl finally looked at him with tearful eyes. “Th-the men always leave,” she croaked.
Phoenix hugged her tightly and gently shushed her. “Not me, Pearls. I’m doing this so I don’t have to leave. You and Maya are the most important people in my life.”
She desperately wanted to believe him but experience had told her otherwise. All she had seen in Kurain was unhappy relationships falling apart. “Th-then how come we can’t see you? Why you won’t let us help you?”
“You will get to help me; but from Kurain. We just can’t let anyone know that or else we could get in real trouble.”
Maya moved in next to Phoenix and set about drying Pearl’s eyes. “He’s right, Pearly. Until we get everything cleared up we’re going to have to be really sneaky; like ninjas. The elders can’t know, the man Nick’s after can’t know… we have to keep everything a secret.”
Pearl was still not sure what exactly was going on but she knew she could believe anything Maya said; at least when she was this serious. Pearl focused on Phoenix and decided to give him one last chance. “You promise you aren’t leaving Mystic Maya?”
Phoenix gave her a tiny smile. “Of course I’m not, Pearls. I love her too much.”
The confession broke its way through Pearl’s sorrow and her mouth hung open. She could feel her heart soaring. “You… you really mean it?” She fought against her hands that were trying to apply themselves to her cheeks. After three years of denial it simply sounded too good to be true.
Rather than confirming things vocally, Phoenix stood upright, leaned over and took Maya in his arms. He bent her over backwards and planted the largest kiss he could manage full on her lips. For her part, Maya squeaked in surprise and even did that leg lift thing she always saw in the movies.
Pearl inhaled until her lungs simply could not hold any more air. She hopped up on to the booth’s seat and started bouncing and shrieking in joy at the same time. She tried to scream, “I knew it!” but she was just too excited to form comprehensible words.
Phoenix broke the kiss and set about trying to get Pearl under control while Maya caught her breath. “Pearls, sit back down,” he instructed. “You’re going to get shoe prints on the ceiling.”
Pearl did as she was told but only because she still could not think straight. Her whole body vibrated as though she had escaped a bag of sugar by eating her way to freedom. Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew Phoenix still had to leave but that was nothing compared to seeing him finally confessing his love for his special someone.
Maya fanned herself, still coming down from her unexpected high. “Wow, Nick…” was all she said. (I thought you said we were going to take things slow… Whew…)
“I believe you, Mr. Nick,” Pearl decided. “I can’t wait to reserve the main temple for the wedding!”
Phoenix and Maya grimaced at each other.
“Pearly… there’s one other hard part,” Maya confessed before her cousin ran off to make wedding plans right then and there. “Our relationship has to be a secret too.”
Pearl looked puzzled but thankfully not as crushed as she had earlier. “B-but everyone knows you’re special someones.”
(Tell me about it…) Phoenix thought. “No, Pearls, everyone thinks we’re ‘special someones.’ If word gets out to the wrong people that we really are… Maya, or even you, could be targeted again.”
“Right now everyone thinks Nick is a bad guy,” Maya added. “If people find out we’re together, reporters would ruin the reputation of Kurain Village again… and my reputation too. The elders can’t know about us either.” Maya honestly did not care about her own standing, but she knew it was now irreparably interwoven with Kurain’s.
Pearl cocked her head. “Why not?”
“Maya’s a new leader,” Phoenix started, trying to explain things as tenderly as possible. “If they know we’re together and they think I’m a bad guy they won’t do what she says. They’ll think she’s a bad guy too.”
That answer only seemed to confuse Pearl further. “But you aren’t. Why would they do that?”
Maya smiled at her. “Because they aren’t as mature as you, Pearly.”
Phoenix’s pocket began playing the Steel Samurai theme. He immediately dreaded whoever it was. There was a very likely chance it was his parents again. He had not called anyone back who had tried to reach him since yesterday. When he pulled out his phone, however, it was a number he did not recognize. He took his chances, took a step away from his company, and accepted the call.
“Hello?” he greeted.
“Phoenix Wright?” asked a cool, refined male voice with a German accent.
“That’s me.”
“Mr. Wright, this is Kristoph Gavin.”
Phoenix’s eyes bulged and his heart stopped. He might have started a cold sweat but he could not tell with his face suddenly going numb. “Oh, h-hi. What’s going on?” (Oh God, does he know? No, no, that’s impossible. Just keep it together… Act natural. How did he even get my number?)
Kristoph’s voice remained as calm as ever. “I just wanted to call and tell you how bad I feel about what happened to you. You were such a talented attorney.”
“Oh, well… thanks.” (Yeah, that was natural.)
“I was wondering if you’d like to go out for a drink tonight. My treat. I can’t imagine you’ve had much to enjoy lately so think of this as my way of making things up to you on behalf of the world.”
(“The world” had nothing to do with it…) “That sounds great, Kristoph. Where should I meet you?”
Maya gasped at the name, forcing Phoenix to turn slightly and cup his hand around the receiver.
“I know a little place that’s out of the way,” Kristoph said. “It’s a restaurant called the Borscht Bowl Club. I cannot recommend the food but their bartender is top notch. His talents are wasted there. ‘First class in all things,’ I always say.” His smile could practically be heard over the phone.
“Uh, what time?”
“Does eight o’clock sound good to you?”
“Eight o’clock sounds great. I’ll see you there.”
“Excellent. Until then, Wright. Farewell.”
“Bye.” Phoenix had barely ended the call when he felt Maya grab him.
“Kristoph?” she all but screamed.
Phoenix put his phone back in his pocket. “He wants to meet me for a drink tonight.”
“Nick, no,” Maya ordered. “If he thinks… No.” She tightened her grip. “It’s happening… we’re going to end up like Sis and Diego. No, Nick. You can’t go!”
“Mr. Nick, you can’t go!” Pearl repeated, climbing out of the booth. Seeing her cousin begging hysterically meant this Kristoph person must have been that dangerous man she had just been told about.
“I have to,” Phoenix replied. “If I can get close to him maybe I can figure out the truth. This is perfect.”
“This isn’t perfect!” Maya countered. “You told me how the magatama reacted to him. I know you want to keep us safe but we want to keep you safe too!”
Pearl nodded emphatically.
Phoenix leaned down and put his arms around the both of them like a football huddle. “I don’t believe he’s just being friendly either but he’s probably just making sure I’m not looking in to him. If I just act normal he won’t get suspicious and everything will be fine.”
Maya frowned. There was no stopping him. “You’d better be,” she warned. “I don’t want to lose my boyfriend on the first day.”
“It’s not the first day, Mystic Maya,” Pearl helpfully pointed out.
“And it won’t be the last,” Phoenix promised, going back to a proper standing position. “If things look bad I’ll get out of there and I’ll call you right after it’s over, okay?”
Maya thought this over. “You’d better.” She reached in to her pocket and pulled something out of it. “Take this too, just in case.”
Phoenix began to reach for the object until he realized what it was and stopped short. “What? Maya, no, I’m not going to mace him.”
“Hey, you said he was dangerous.”
“He might be, but it’s not like he’s going to attack me in the middle of the restaurant.”
Maya pushed the canister back towards Phoenix. “But, but what if he gets all handsy or something?”
Phoenix threw his hands up. “Handsy? Maya, I’m not going on a date with him!” he shouted. If the workers behind the counter did not stare at them for the kiss they certainly were now. “Look, it’s just drinks. I’ll be fine. I promise you I’ll call right after.”
Maya sighed and shoved her pepper spray back in her robes. “Fine. I’ll figure out my schedule too so you’ll know when it’s safe to call me after tonight. The last thing I want is my phone going off and me having to tell my students or the elders it was a wrong number.”
Phoenix was about to compliment her on her foresight but found himself saying something completely different. “You’re teaching classes?”
“Don’t look at me like that. Yes, I’m teaching classes. It is a channeling school, after all, and I’m the Master, aren’t I?”
“W-well, I just… never really knew what exactly a Master did.” (That and I shudder to think some of the things you’d teach the youth of our nation.)
Maya shrugged. “What did you think, Nick? I’m not going to just sit around looking pretty. I head and supervise our government, technically, but I mostly just look over acolytes… like this one here.” She nudged Pearl.
The little girl smiled at her cousin. “I am honored, Mystic Maya!”
Maya met the smile with one of her own. “Did you bring what I asked, Pearly?”
Pearl nodded and reached in to her robes. She produced Maya’s digital camera and handed it to her.
“Then you’ve passed your first assignment with flying colors.” Maya flung her arm around Phoenix and held the camera at arm’s length snapping a picture before anyone else was ready. She checked the screen on the back to find herself smiling brightly with Phoenix looking somewhat surprised and Pearl barely in the shot at all.
“You might want to give us some warning next time,” Phoenix suggested, rubbing away the blind spots the flash had left in his eyes.
“Then it wouldn’t be a spontaneous slice of life, Nick,” Maya rebutted. She turned off her camera and slipped it in to her robes. “I’ll send you a copy of that when I get back. I don’t want you forgetting us now.”
Phoenix smirked. “I’ll keep in touch. I don’t want you forgetting me either.” His eyes flitted to nothing in particular. “You two are the only people I don’t want forgetting me right now.”
Pearl was clearly concerned by his last utterance.
Maya frowned at Phoenix. She distinctly remembered telling him to stop being so cynical. Still, she knew what he was going through. She knelt down next to Pearl to try and explain. “Pearly, do you remember when the Evil Magistrate hired spies to follow the Steel Samurai?”
The young medium gnawed on her thumbnail trying to remember. She had seen all of the Steel Samurai thanks to Maya but she honestly preferred Kids’ Masterpiece Theatre. She tentatively nodded, recalling something to that effect.
“And do you remember how the Steel Samurai acted when he found out?” Maya asked.
Pearl concentrated really hard, the episode beginning to come back to her. “He changed his daily routine… and led them all to a clearing where he cut them down.” The scene had been a bit much for Pearl, who had covered her eyes, but she remembered her older cousin cheering it on and giving an excited play-by-play account.
“Well, Nick can’t exactly go around killing people but, like the Steel Samurai, he can’t lead the spies to his friends either. Once he catches them, or him, or whoever, then everything will go back to how it was.”
Pearl nodded in understanding and attempted to envision Phoenix with a samurai spear strapped to his back carrying a pink clad Maya-princess in to an ancient Japanese castle.
Phoenix would not exactly parallel his life to a kids’ show, nor was he optimistic enough to presume everything would go back to how it was, but he did find the metaphor apt enough. “Maya’s right, Pearls. Until I know what’s going on, I just have to lay low.”
“Says the man who was trying to swallow my tongue in public…” Maya remarked.
Pearl gasped. That did not sound nearly as romantic as it should have been worded.
Phoenix shrugged. “There’s no public here at 3:30.” He opted not to turn and face the workers in the restaurant. Somehow after the kiss, Pearl’s shrieking, and everything else he assumed making eye contact would probably just make them call the police.
“3:30?” Maya repeated. She frowned. “I need to get back to Kurain or they’ll think that ‘scum sucking ex-attorney’ has locked me in his basement.”
“That’s ridiculous. I don’t have a basement.”
Maya pursed her lips. “You’re starting to scare me, Nick.”
Phoenix shrugged again. Instead of saying anything he just wandered in to Maya and gave her a loose hug she immediately returned.
“Please be careful tonight,” Maya whispered. “I’ll talk to you soon.”
Phoenix planted a quick kiss on her lips and nodded. “Give those elders one for me.”
“I’ll give them one too, Mr. Nick,” Pearl reported, moving in and tightly hugging the former attorney. One what she was not quite sure, but she would do anything to help her favorite special someones.
Phoenix patted Pearl on the back and released her. The trio walked out of the fast food restaurant and went their separate ways without even a wave or an utterance of the word “goodbye.” None of them knew what to say when they parted so they said nothing at all. Was it happy because Phoenix and Maya were finally together? Was it sad because they were physically apart? Was it frightening because the unknown lurked around the corner? It was everything; an emotional tug-of-war in which none of them wanted to participate.
Phoenix took a seat on the train and hoped a handle on the situation would present itself. Looking out his window, all he saw was a myriad of unfamiliar faces. The mediums were already gone.

purplepjs

Shiki Tohno wrote:
You see, people?

+1 That was amazing!

Okay, here is my submission. I tried to approach PxM from a different perspective. It's a little... well... different.

Happy PxM day everyone.

Spoiler: Wednesdays at the Coffee Shop
Sometimes Klavier liked the quiet.

Life for Klavier Gavin moved at a frantic pace and he wouldn’t have it any other way. He was a rock prodigy and prosecutor wunderkind, adored and envied by all. He was always the centre of attention, always the life of the party. But sometimes… just sometimes… he liked to slow down for a moment, and watch.

The quiet calm of being able to watch life bustle on without actually being a part of it was strangely therapeutic. As much as Klavier loved his fame and all it encompassed, sometimes it was nice to go unnoticed. Although, he would never admit that to anyone.

That’s why he liked this particular coffee shop. It was quiet enough for him to not be recognised by his adoring fans, but still busy enough for an eclectic mix of people to pass through while he sipped on his macchiato. Who were these people? What was their story?

Businessmen ducking out for a caffeine fix between meetings… Mothers dropping in for a quick refuel in between doing the groceries and picking up the kids… Young couples sharing a choc malt as they eyed each other lovingly… He’d seen an interesting mixture of people that afternoon, but none of them were anywhere near as interesting as she was.

The woman had piqued his interest from the moment she had walked through the door. She had pale skin, a lithe figure and long dark hair that fell to her waist in a simple braid. She wasn’t anything like the actress or model types that Klavier was used to dating. She wasn’t gorgeous, but she definitely was beautiful in her own way. There was a certain clumsy grace about her, even though that was a clear contradiction of terms.

Her beauty was simple, and Klavier found himself transfixed. The pale yellow sundress she wore fluttered around her knees as she made her way to the counter, placing her order for a caramel latte and a jelly donut. She hummed quietly to herself as the barista prepared her order, glancing once or twice around the shop, but never noticing Klavier tucked away in the corner booth. Then, with a generous tip and a smile for the barista, she gathered her order and left the shop.

It was four weeks before Klavier saw her again.

He was sitting in the corner booth once again when she entered the shop in much the same manner. This time, her dress was green and her dark hair was gathered into a knot at the base of her neck. She ordered the same thing again. A caramel latte and a jelly donut.

Klavier was quite surprised to see her again. He had thought about her a lot in the days following her first appearance at the coffee shop. He had often found himself wondering what her name was or where she was from, but eventually the demands of work and the fact that he would probably never see her again had seen the mysterious woman drift from his thoughts.

But here she was once again.

She paid for her coffee and donut and turned toward the exit, doing her best to balance her cup and the small bag containing the donut while she slipped her change into her purse. Unfortunately juggling so many items proved an impossible task, and her purse slipped through her fingers, dropping to the floor in front of Klavier’s booth.

The woman puffed her cheeks out and sighed to herself in exasperation.

“Great,” she muttered to herself, kneeling down to gather her fallen change.

Klavier moved from his seat to kneel down beside her.

“Here, let me help you with that,” he said as he began to help recover her belongings from the floor.

“Thank you,” she said earnestly. “I’m so clumsy sometimes.”

“It is nothing,” Klavier said, waving her off as they stood. She nodded in thanks again before heading for the door, just as Klavier spied a small photograph that she must have missed while picking up her things.

“Excuse me, Fraulein? You seem to have missed this,” he said, picking up the photograph of a scruffy looking man in a beanie with a young girl in a magicians outfit. He frowned heavily. Why did that man look so familiar?

“Oh!” the woman cried. “Thank you again,” she finished as she tucked the photograph back into her purse and hurried from the shop.

“It is nothing…” Klavier repeated, although she was already too far away to hear him. His brow furrowed. Who was that man? This was going to drive him crazy.

Three weeks later, the mystery woman appeared in the coffee shop again. Based on the fact that the last two times he had seen the woman it had been on a Wednesday after one, Klavier had started making sure he spent his lunches in the coffee shop on Wednesdays, and his theory had paid off. But he still hadn’t had any luck working out who that man in the photo was. He was certain that he knew him somehow.

Clad in an azure blue dress that reached her ankles and her hair in a braid, she headed to the counter and ordered once again, a caramel latte and a jelly donut. Making sure she packed her change in her purse before she left the counter, she turned and headed for the door.

“Hello again, Clumsy Fraulein.” Klavier said, smiling at the woman from his corner booth by the door. “Perhaps you could join me?”

The woman was slightly startled.

“Oh! It’s you again,” she smiled in recognition. “I’m sorry, but I need to be somewhere. But thank you for the offer.”

“Some other time then,” Klavier shrugged. The woman nodded noncommittally. She gave him one last smile before turning and leaving.

Soon after, Klavier downed the rest of his coffee and left the coffee shop as well. He realised as he walked briskly back towards the prosecutors office that he was starting to really like this girl. He knew next to nothing about her, which made her fascinating. She didn’t throw herself at him and thus presented some form of a challenge. But that man in the photo… Who was he? And what was his connection to this girl?

The weeks passed and Klavier continued to see the woman come into the coffee shop and order that caramel latte and jelly donut combo. Each time he would say hello and ask her to join him, but each time she would politely decline. His attempts to strike up conversation all seemed to fall flat as she would always hurry off to wherever it was that she was going.

After yet another rejection, as she headed out with her coffee and donut, Klavier tried to find out a little more about her.

“Each time I see you here, I ask you to join me, and every time you decline, pretty fraulein. Perhaps I should be taking the hint, ja?” Klavier chuckled lightly.

The woman paused in the doorway, pouting softly.

“I’m really sorry, it’s just that… I really am in a rush,” the woman said gently, clearly upset at the possibility that she may have done damage to his self esteem with her constant rejection.

Klavier laughed softly.

“Do not worry about me, I am sure I will recover from this broken heart.”

The woman smiled again, before turning to leave once more.

“Fraulein?” Klavier called out. “Perhaps you could soothe the pain by telling me your name?”

A flash of something that looked a little bit like panic flooded the woman’s features for a second. Klavier took note of the small facial tic. It was very telling indeed.

“So that we are not strangers and you do not have to feel so nervous, I will tell you my name. My name is Klavier.”

Her expression changed again, and this time it was almost vague recognition that he saw in her features. He expected as much. Klavier was not a common name and he was a rock star after all.

“So tell me, what is the name of the most beautiful girl in the world?” he asked.

“Pearl,” she said simply, after a brief pause. With that, she turned and left the coffee shop.

“Pearl.” Klavier repeated to himself. Why did he get the distinct feeling that she was lying? Pearl was indeed a beautiful name, he definitely felt that it was not hers.

It had been six weeks since he had last seen “Pearl” on a Wednesday after one in the coffee shop, ordering her caramel latte and jelly donut and Klavier was close to giving up hope. Had he scared her off? Would he ever see her again? Perhaps he shouldn’t have pressed her so hard for her name. He was just about ready to leave, when lo and behold, she walked through the door, dressed in the same yellow sundress that she had worn the first time that he had seen her. She ordered her latte and donut and turned towards Klavier’s usual table, giving him a smile and a nod when she saw him sitting in his usual spot.

“Too busy again today, Fraulein Pearl?” Klavier asked, already knowing the answer.

“You got it,” she said with a grin.

“One of these days, you will say yes.” Klavier said with a shrug. “So I will keep asking.”

“Okay,” the woman said, returning the shrug. She gathered her order and headed out the door. “See you next time, Mr Gavin.”

Klavier grinned.

He hadn’t told her his last name. That meant that she knew who he was. Maybe she was interested. Perhaps she was just playing hard to get. He watched the direction that she headed in through the shop window, waiting a few moments before getting up to follow her. He was going to find out once and for all why she was in so much of a rush all the time.

Her yellow dress made her easy to keep in sight while she weaved through the throng of office workers in their drab black and brown attire. Klavier realised before too long that she was heading in the direction of the park. Perhaps she just preferred to drink her coffee and eat her donut outdoors in the sun?

Klavier watched her head down the main pathway of People Park, before ducking through some bushes and heading to a more secluded area closer to Gourd Lake. He wondered where she was going. Why did she need to hide to have a donut and a coffee?

Keeping to the shadows and behind trees, Klavier followed her, until she finally came to a halt in a small clearing. Placing the bag with the donut and her coffee carefully on the grass, she stretched, reaching her hands up skyward and tilting her face upward towards the sunshine. Klavier smiled to himself. This must be her favourite spot.

He was just about to take a step out from behind the bushes, when someone else stepped out on the opposite side. Klavier hid himself again as he watched “Pearl” greet the familiar looking man from the photograph she had dropped with a crushing hug and a passionate kiss. She then bounced over to where she had left the coffee and the donut, picking both items up and giving them to him. He chuckled and smiled at her in return. Klavier felt his heart sink. The reason she had rejected him so consistently was because she had been leaving to meet this man.

Klavier frowned harder, trying to make out his facial features. It was a face that he knew, he was sure of it. It was only when the man picked the woman up in a hug and she snatched the beanie from his head, that Klavier realised that he was looking at none other than Phoenix Wright.

More than a little shocked, Klavier backed away from the pair, heading back through the bushes towards the main path. He shook his head in disbelief. Life was so strange sometimes. It had been a long time since he had thought about the Gramarye case, and something still didn’t feel right about how easily he had won it.

Funnily enough, he had taken something from Wright that day, and today Wright had taken something from him. It was almost poetic. Perhaps he could write a song about it.

But first, he needed to find a new coffee shop.

Many Years Later

Maya struggled to keep up with Phoenix as he strode across the lobby, talking at a million miles an hour while she attempted to find the file that he was referring to.

“Geez, Nick. Slow down will ya? I’m not superwoman you know.”

“Sorry, Maya.” Phoenix said genuinely. “But we’ve only got half an hours recess, and I need to talk to the guy who owns the bike. He’s the key. I need that address.”

“I know, I know. Here it is.” Maya said, handing Phoenix a piece of paper.

“Ah ha!” Phoenix said, as if uncovering the paper was some sort of great scientific discovery. “You’re the best. I’m going to go see what he knows. I’ll see you back here at one. Love you!” he called as he headed toward the door, causing people to turn and stare at him as he sprinted off.

Maya laughed to herself. Nick was still winning cases by pulling off some sort of amazing play during the dying seconds of the game. But that was the nature of the business, and Phoenix Wright had pretty much mastered it. Being his assistant meant that she had to try and keep up and some days, like today, were harder than others.

Heading toward the courthouse coffee shop, she was surprised to see a familiar looking blue eyed blonde who she hadn’t seen in many years. The man spotted her immediately, and headed towards her.

“Well if it isn’t Fraulein Pearl.” Klavier said with a knowing smile. “But that isn’t your name, is it, Mrs Wright?”

Maya nodded sheepishly, indicating that he was correct.

“Hello Klavier. Long time no see.”

“It has been a while, ja? I have been away quite a while, working on my solo album in Germany. I have just returned to America, only to find that Phoenix Wright has married the love of my life!” he finished dramatically, causing Maya to laugh.

“You can’t be serious.” Maya said, still chuckling.

“Of course!” Klavier said, flashing her a cheeky smile. “Perhaps you can ease this heartache by joining me for a cup of coffee. I want to hear all about those beautiful children of yours that Fraulein Skye has told me so much about.”

Maya glanced down at her watch. She was already heading in that direction anyway.

“Okay, but I’ve only got twenty five minutes,” she stated seriously. “Then I need to be back in court.”

“You see, I told you one day you would say yes.” Klavier boasted.

“I can’t believe you even remember that…” Maya laughed as Klavier held the door to the coffee shop open, ushering her inside.

Editing to add: Nevertalk, that was AMAZING. I cannot wait for more!

/人◕‿‿◕人\

That essay is wonderful, icer~!

HAPPY P/M DAY

:kissy:

I have some art I'll post later.
~Fanfiction~
私は同意Topic%20Title

私は同意

はい、おそらくので、それは

[Words]

Happy Phoenix/Maya Day everyone!

In celebration I've written a few fics which can be found here, here and here.

This is awesome! moar plox!

I couldn't have picked a better day to return to this topic! .... I am quite ashamed to say that I haven't prepared anything for P/M day! Forgive me, pretty please?

Nevertheless! Happy P/M day to all! I will try to catch up with all the fanfics!
减仓

Well, happy belated P/M day everyone!! Unfortunately, on this lovely day, I was moving boxes and my legs were giving out...
Woot for moving into a new apartment on the best day of the year... :toaster:

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Have some art! I'm not really sure what's going on here...

Spoiler:

~Fanfiction~

Happy P/M day everyone!!! :kissy:
Sorry I'm a bit late!
Well...P/M day may be finished over here, but in Hawaii there's still another 4 hours! Still, I'm sleepy and finishing the second chapter tonight is turning out to be an impossibility. So I'll post what I have. Sorry that this part's sad/not much Phoenix-Maya...but future chapters will be more relevant to the pairing! So yeah...it's called "Calling Card".

Spoiler: Chapter 1
Calling Card: Chapter 1

“Be strong, Maya…”

My sister’s voice echoes in my ears as her spirit leaves my body and I regain consciousness. A blinding light hits me almost immediately. I instinctively twist away, but the sudden motion makes me loose balance and nearly fall backwards!
Thankfully, I stifle a yelp and right myself, leaning against the wall for support as I’m hit with a wave of nausea. Not the “I went on the spinout too many times” sort of nausea, but the churning, empty nausea—the kind that grabs hold of your poor stomach and twists! Ugh…the world…spinning…I’m so hungry, it’s not even funny anymore!
It’s only then I realize that Sis left me kneeling on a desk. I guess I was too weak to let her climb down. I remain there with my head down, still using the wall for support as I get reacquainted with being alive.
I never really asked Sis but…I wonder if that’s what it’s like to be dead—what I experience while channeling: just…void... No way! Sis must feel something…how else would we call her back?
But, come to think of it, it all sounds like where the Evil Magistrate got sent during the season finale. That was a cool episode...though I wish they’d stop teasing us and let the Steel Samurai and Pink Princess become a couple already. I mean, it’s almost canon! That silly samurai is just too dense to realize it.
And what am I doing, thinking about the Steel Samurai (and shipping, no less) at a time like this?
Wait, so does that mean when I’m dead the Evil Magistrate will be there to laugh at me? That would be horrible! Though, temporary…he’d find a way back; he always comes back. Kind of like me, what with all the times I’ve faced my own death. But…
But this time it’s for real.
Oh God, I’m…
I- I have to calm down. Sis told me to be strong, and I know that everyone is doing their best to rescue me but…somehow, I know they won’t be fast enough.
I’m scared now…why couldn’t I just keep thinking about Steel Samurai and stuff to take my mind off of things? Sis’s voice! It was filled with sorrow, like how the detective was talking to me the last time I got arrested. I just can’t forget the sad look he gave me...
I gather the strength to look up, out the window. It’s a tent…the Big Berry Circus! That must be what Mia saw! It’s where me and Nick had our…our last case together. That was an amazing show, not to mention all the burgers and popcorn.
Oh man…it hurts…and what’s more, I was starving myself all day for that “Hero of Heroes” dinner, and I didn’t even get seconds!
No! Stop! Thinking! About! Food!
But yeah…Sis’s voice…I’m going to die…now I know Nick saw my note. He’s going to get that creep Engarde a guilty verdict! And that is what I wanted…because it’s the truth...Nick…I…
I trust him. I trust him to do the right thing even if it means...
Oh Nick…I’m so sorry…Mia trusted us to look out for each other, and now I’m making you co-sign my death warrant!
And that’s why she was so sad.
No, not sad, “disappointed”. Disappointed in me for failing, for forcing Nick through a fire.
I’m in tears as I finally climb down from the desk, collapsing on the floor, weak with hunger. Something falls out of my inside pocket: the assassin’s card, I had used it to escape that old cellar earlier. Whatever, it’s useless to me now…
I’m sorry, Nick…you know, when you were at my side I felt safe—that someone actually cared about me, the undeserving future of Kurain. I needed someone like that after Mia was killed. You made me feel strong, and I used to dream about the two of us as something more than just friends, that you really could be my “special someone” that I met in the fight against evil, just like the Pink Princess and Steel Samurai!
Only now do I realize how ridiculous I’ve been. We’re nothing like those characters on TV. I’m just a kid that tags along with you: when have I really been there for you as you’ve been for me?
I’ve been such a burden, making you come to my rescue every time. I‘m sure you don’t feel what I feel for you, in any case. If we ever meet again, I pray that you have it in you to accept my apology…not that I deserve anything like that.
I wish this didn’t have to happen…that Nick and I could continue as a team. And then, I could have found some way to make it up to him. I wish I could go back to before…to be with him again…
If nothing else, I wish that I could see him one last time before the end…
Wait.
Perhaps I can! Sort of…
I think I still have a- yes, I still have the pen from earlier too!
Hastily, not knowing how much time I really have, I pick up the card I had dropped and draw Nick’s spiky-haired head. Just seeing him makes me feel a lot better. It’s actually not a bad drawing…but he looks goofier in real life…
Well, I’m ready. Even if a bullet blows my head apart and I never think of anything again forever and ever, at least the last thing I see before it happens will be someone I love. And, at this point, that’s the most I can ask for.
Concentrating on Nick's face, I don’t even look up as the door opens in front of me.

Hikari wrote:

Spoiler:

Oh, I love Pearl's expression!

Shiki Tohno wrote:
You see, people?

Oh thanks, Shiki. :bellboy: You are awesome also...

I should hopefully have time to read everyone's fic tomorrow...

Floran wrote:
I couldn't have picked a better day to return to this topic! ....

Welcome back...

pearldrops wrote:
I usually just lurk around CR, but Nick/Maya Day is just too amazing to stay silent for. :pearl-blush:

Welcome to the club...

Hikari wrote:

Spoiler:

Who knows? I still love it! :edgy:

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

nevertalk wrote:
Holy crud, that was WONDERFUL. I mean it. Post it on the Present Testimony section for easier track-keeping. o.o

kitsune13 wrote:
Hahas, nothing short of your usual standard of awesomeness. =p I loved the different perspective on the situation and how you approached it. I'm also actually rather impressed at how well you managed that last little scene between the fop and Maya. =p (Sorry to his fans, even if I profess him no ill will, I just like calling him "the fop". XD )

I'll edit this post later with my opinions on Justis's stuff. =p

EDIT: Opinions on Justis's stuff. =p
1. The Argument felt totally out of place. I'm sorry, Justis, but even I think if Maya would've felt as scorned as you made her out to be I doubt she'd even have gone to the courthouse with Nick, let alone sit on the defense bench with him. =( The overall structure of their argument felt indeed in character, but in the wrong place at the wrong time.
2. Movie Night had me in stitches before even hitting half of it. Good material. =) Especially that "Wright, you insult me" line from Edgeworth. Comedy gold. xD Nick being all paranoid and bumbling about snogging Maya was hilarious too. =p And the ending was pretty cute. Two thumbs up! =)
3. Fake Girlfriend feels a little tacky. I know it's unfinished, but the tone it sets feels a little dragged on and not entirely natural. Nick's mom sounds more like Bulma's mom than someone from the AA universe, and as hilarious as that sounds, in this particular case it's not a good thing. Otherwise the premise is pretty good, and I expect to see more. =)

Lurker

Oops I missed this again this year. And last year I was already very determined to remember it too OTL.

Wow, there's a lot of new fanfics /reads it one by one/

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Ooooooooooooooooh, lots of new reading fodder.

Time to open a new window and tab all these to read while munching and binging on ginger ale soda.

Didn't know this club was here xD

Objectionable

nevertalk wrote:
As promised, here's the first chapter of the tentatively titled Turnabout Legacy. This is the continuation of Turnabout Catalyst cataloging the long seven years of Phoenix Wright as the "Forging Attorney" and what he and all his friends were doing. If you have not read TC I highly suggest reading at least the last two or three chapters (minus epilogue) since this picks right up on the next day after it ends.

Unfortunately I've become a lot busier lately and haven't had much time or desire to write but here's this at least. Enjoy!

You also might notice a gag I reused in Job Hunting. It was actually here first.

Spoiler: Turnabout Legacy, Chapter 1
April 20, 9:58am
Wright and Co. Law Office

There was no passionate, unbridled sex the previous night. There was no sweltering romance or overwhelming gasps of pleasure. There were only two best friends that finally understood how they had come to truly love each other. For Maya Fey, for right now, that was enough.
The new Master of Kurain laid in the warm morning light with her eyes half lidded. She simply watched the slumbering form of Phoenix Wright with a contented smile, trying to keep thoughts of their predicament at bay. She just wanted to be happy if only for a few more minutes. Their problems could wait until they were up and dressed.
Despite having spent countless nights in this apartment, Maya had not once even sat on this bed. It was Phoenix’s bed. It was taboo. It would only encourage that silly, impossible crush she had developed the very moment he swept in after her sister’s death and made everything right. Now, however, she was in it; she was under its covers and wrapped up with its owner.
Phoenix stirred in his sleep. He groaned and opened an eye to spot a lovely young brunette looking back at him. He only stared at her for a time, processing things slowly as his mind started working again. “So it wasn’t a dream… or a nightmare?” he asked with a voice still rough from waking.
Maya smiled sympathetically. “If it was we’re still in it. How are you feeling, Nick?”
“I just lost my job and discovered I’m in love with my best friend on the same day. How do you classify that?”
Maya sleepily shrugged on her side.
“But you know what?” Phoenix asked. “Right now, I think I’m doing okay.” He reached out his arm and draped it over Maya.
Maya was almost startled by the touch. It seemed some of the invisible barriers set up as “just friends” were still trying to make themselves known. She would not be bound by them any more. Turning her head, she kissed the closest part of the arm to her lips. “We can just stay in bed forever and the world will go away, right?” she asked.
Phoenix eyed her tired smile and tousled bed-head. At some point she had gone from just cute to beautiful to him. (Did it just happen overnight?) “I don’t know, but you’re making a pretty good case right now,” he responded.
(Oh no, he was always the responsible one.) “You’re not gonna become a hobo now, are you, Nick?”
The former attorney chuckled under his breath. “I think I know someone who won’t let me. Then again, I’m pretty sure I can overpower her if I have to.”
“Hardly the way to speak to someone who’s already in bed with you.” Maya lifted a finger to enunciate her next point. “I’m also the Master of the Kurain Channeling Technique and have power beyond your wildest dreams.”
“Such as?”
Maya’s hand fell to the bed. “I don’t know. They probably would have told me if I didn’t run away last night just to end up in bed with you.” She frowned. “You know, teasing you just isn’t the same when it’s not all out of context and embarrassing.”
Phoenix smiled and pulled her in to him. “It’s great, isn’t it?”
“I love you, Nick,” she said. “I really do.” She smiled brightly at the words. “I sure like saying that.”
Phoenix smiled back at her. He had only recently come to realize his feelings but the more he thought about it the more he saw his own warning signs. He could not pinpoint when she had changed from Mia’s kid sister to the full blown woman in his arms, but it did not matter.
“I really love you too, Maya,” he replied in kind. Part of him had worried that he was making a mistake; taking advantage of her compassion. He feared he would wake up the next morning feeling different. Now he knew he did not make a choice last night but had merely confessed one he made long ago. “I’m… I’m glad you came back for me.”
“Well you’d be lost without me, you know.”
Phoenix chuckled inwardly. “I know.”
“I just wish we didn’t have to hide us.”
There was the catch. On the one hand were Phoenix’s disbarment and his conspiracy theories. He was convinced the Gavin brothers were linked to it and he was determined to find out why. The magatama’s reaction to Kristoph’s very presence was bizarre. It chilled him to the bone and there was not even any question asked. He scared Phoenix, making him fear for Maya’s safety as well as his own should the attorney discover Phoenix was looking in to him and his brother.
On the other hand was Kurain Village. It was no secret the majority of the elders never liked Phoenix in the first place. Now that he was a sham in the eyes of the public, they would think even less of him. Knowledge that the Master was in love with him would not only ruin Maya’s reputation but also heap shame on the village itself just like the DL-6 incident.
So there they lay; a modern day Romeo and Juliet. All they had to do was clear Phoenix’s name and everything would be fine, or so they hoped. He would get his badge back, he could help Maya lead the village while she helped him defend clients, they could get married, have 2.5 kids, two cars in their garage, a white picket fence, and a turkey on the table every Thanksgiving. It was such a simple concept.
“Do you think it’s worth it?” Phoenix asked.
Maya looked stunned. “Of course you’re worth it! Do… do you not think…”
“I don’t mean us,” Phoenix quickly explained. “I mean figuring out what happened. I don’t want to hide you away, Maya. Just say the word and I’ll forget about everything.”
“No, Nick. The Gavins or whoever can’t get away with this. You’ve always fought for truth, justice, and the American way. If you don’t do this you’ll lose a part of who you are.” She smiled and cuddled in to him. “I like all those parts.”
Phoenix held her tightly and took her words to heart. “I suppose it won’t just go away, will it? There’s no proof whoever did this isn’t finished ruining my life… our lives.” He frowned. “Besides, even if I gave up, I’d still be the ‘Forging Attorney.’ The elders wouldn’t let you associate with someone like me. We’re stuck, aren’t we?”
“Mmhm,” Maya mumbled in to his collarbone.
Phoenix glanced over Maya’s head to spot his alarm clock. He sighed. “I should have been at the courthouse by now… you know, if I wasn’t disbarred.”
“And I could have insisted you come back to bed and then you tell me how you have to get to work and I get up and make you breakfast that you don’t eat because you’re late so you just rush out the door with a piece of toast in your mouth.”
The scenario ran through Phoenix’s head as though it were a sitcom; laugh track and all. “Is the Master of Kurain even allowed to be domestic?” (Never mind you wouldn’t have even raced over here if I wasn’t ruined in the first place…)
Maya wrinkled her nose. “I’ll probably have attendants or something, I think. I don’t know how I feel about that.” She looked Phoenix in the eye with a smirk. “They probably all have to be female, Nick, sorry.”
Phoenix groaned at her and rolled over, pushing out of bed. “I’ve been waiting on you hand and foot for three years already anyway,” he taunted while stretching. He grabbed a t-shirt and threw it over his head, covering his formerly bare skin much to Maya’s dismay.
“Hmph,” Maya replied, dragging herself out of bed as well. “Glad to see love didn’t change you at all, you old grouch.”
She was about to chuck her pillow at him when the Pink Princess theme song began playing from the other side of the room. Maya grumbled and walked over to her robes which were folded up and placed on Phoenix’s dresser. She retrieved her cell phone and noticed she had already missed one call from Kurain Village only a few hours earlier. Both she and Phoenix must have slept through it. Steeling herself, she answered the phone as nonchalantly as possible.
Phoenix made his way to the bathroom to both brush his teeth and give Maya some privacy with her call. Even still he left the door open in a concession to his curiosity.
“No, no, there’s nothing to worry about Mystic Mala,” Maya insisted.
There was a pause.
“Of course I’m still not with him. I, er, I went to find out what happened; then I got the things I had left at the office. After that it was just so late I decided to get a room in the city. I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner.”
Another pause.
“I’m almost on my way, Mystic Mala. Don’t worry about…”
Shorter pause.
“Well you can tell her to cram her wild-eyed theories up…”
Pause.
“I’ll be back before dinner, Mystic Mala. I just had to clear things up. Okay? Good bye, Mystic Mala, I’ll see you soon. Okay. Bye.”
Maya barely restrained herself from throwing her phone at the dresser and settled for letting loose the most frustrated growl she ever had. Her fists balled and her whole body shook as she let it out with as much self-control as she could muster.
“Kurain?” Phoenix mumbled over his toothbrush. Opening his mouth to speak forced him to cup a hand under his chin and quickly rush back in to the bathroom and spit in to the sink or risk drooling on himself.
Maya counted him lucky that he had left the room or she would have probably thrown her phone at him instead. She really felt like throwing things. “Selene decided that since I was gone for a night I had already ‘run away like my mother’ and that I had eloped with ‘that bottom-feeding forger.’” Maya groaned again. “Now even Mala’s against you, Nick. She sounded really nice about it, but I know that was just for my sake.”
Phoenix swished water in his mouth and spit it out. “I thought she was the nice one. Did she really call me that?”
“I’m pretty sure those were Selene’s words more than her own.”
“Well, at least she doesn’t call me ‘good sir.’” The former attorney stepped back in to the bedroom.
“And bottom-feeding forger is better?”
“What can I say? I appreciate honesty,” Phoenix said sardonically. (It would be so easy for us to just give up right here. She wouldn’t be Master, I wouldn’t be conducting illegal investigations, we could just be miserable has-beens together… but she’s right. That’s not who we are.)
Maya stuffed her hands in the pockets of the gray hoodie Phoenix loaned her for the night. He often let her borrow it when the need would arise. In fact, she wore it more than he did any more. “I guess they kind of have a point, though,” she muttered.
Phoenix sighed. “Thanks, Maya.”
“Oh! Not about you, I meant about me. I did just bail on them without any warning.”
“But you did have Pearls let Malahandra know you were headed to the city though, right? The least they could do is wait longer than a day before they try to replace you.” The former attorney grabbed a pair of pants and began putting them on over his boxers.
Maya rolled her eyes. “That’s just Selene. She was probably already trying to replace me during the induction ceremony.”
Phoenix rolled his eyes in return. “Well, I guess I should let you get changed so you can head back before Pearls is placed on your throne.”
Maya picked up her robes and started moving for the bathroom. “I don’t get a throne, Nick.” She stopped in her tracks and cocked her head in thought. “Now that you mention it I should ask for one. Ooh, and a scepter. Mom had that awesome staff. You think I could get something like that?” She looked at him expectantly.
Phoenix only looked back at her with a raised eyebrow.
Maya smiled flippantly. “Come on, Nick, cheer up. I don’t want what little time we get together wasted being emo kids.” She tossed her robes in to the bathroom door behind her and started walking backwards that direction. Slowly, step by step, she began drawing the zipper down on the hoodie with her lips parting. Her Master’s talisman dangled tantalizingly from her neck. Once what she determined to be exactly enough cleavage was revealed she shut the door, obstructing Phoenix’s vision.
The former attorney stood paralyzed. One moment Maya had been angry, the next she was just being her usual irreverent self, and the next she was trying to act sensually. He had no idea what to make of it and wondered if she even did. Maybe it was just her way of making the best of things. Either way it was going to be awfully lonely when she left.
“I hate combs, Nick,” rang a voice from behind the door, snapping him out of his trance. “Don’t you own a brush?”
“I don’t think so,” Phoenix answered.
“Ugh, fine, I’ll just use mine.”
Phoenix threw his hands exasperatedly at the door. “If you had a brush, why didn’t you just use that?”
“You’re my boyfriend now, Nick. That means I have to use all your stuff. It’s the rules!”
(Maya, where are these rules coming from?) “Then I’ll make us some breakfast while you’re getting ready. You can rush out the door with toast in your mouth.” After hearing Maya laugh he left his room and headed downstairs.

Maya entered Phoenix’s modest kitchen fully dressed and her hair still damp from the shower. Even in her robes she still wore his gray hoodie over them, though now it remained unzipped. A whiff of the air told her there was food to be had and she knew exactly what it was.
“Cinnamon sugar is the best kind!” she happily announced. “You’d better keep these on hand for when I visit.”
Phoenix nodded in agreement and handed her a plate with two toaster pastries on it. It might not have been food fit for a Master but she graciously accepted it and took a seat at the table to dig in. From the corner of her eye, Maya saw Phoenix set a glass in front of her and pour her some grape juice before taking a swig from the bottle.
“Okay, Nick, I have to ask,” Maya started over a full mouth. “When did you start drinking grape juice?”
Phoenix took the bottle from his lips. “Yesterday. I had a lot of sorrows to drown and the store was having a special. I figured it’s just one step away from wine, right? I bought up a whole bunch and I think I’ve developed a taste for it.” (“A step away from wine?” Maya, you’ve come off on me.)
“So the only reason you aren’t a drunk is because you’re a cheapskate?”
Phoenix shrugged and took another drink. He watched Maya shake her head and continue her breakfast. He smiled, remembering the first time she had worn that old hoodie of his. She and Pearl had simply appeared in the middle of a rainstorm one night pounding on his door to be let in. As it turned out, they decided on the spur of the moment that they just wanted to hang out with him and would not let silly things like common sense stand in their way. As they huddled together on the couch in warm clothes, watching movies, and eating popcorn he found it impossible to admonish them for such reckless behavior. He wanted things like that to happen again. He had to clear his name.
Once Maya finished her breakfast she stood from the table. “Thanks, Nick. You sure know your way around a toaster.”
“Yeah, maybe I can be a world class chef now…”
Maya knitted her brow and peeled off his jacket before handing it to him. “We’ll figure this out,” she promised. “Everything will be okay, right?”
Phoenix nodded more in assurance than belief. “Yeah. We’ve been through worse.” (Everything feels so weird right now. It’s like neither one of us knows how to act…) He slipped on the hoodie. It still carried Maya’s warmth.
Maya sighed and sat back down. “I don’t just mean… ‘that.’ I mean us too. I haven’t really had a relationship before. I hope I do it right…” She hid her face and timidly asked, “I… I was sexy before, right? Going in to the bathroom?”
Phoenix was glad she had turned so she could not see the laughter he was hiding. “Only the sexiest.”
“I’m serious! I have a boyfriend to be sexy for now and I want to do it right!”
Phoenix let his chuckling escape. “Don’t worry. You’re beautiful.”
“Then why are you laughing?”
He leaned down and kissed Maya on the side of the head. “Because you’re you, Maya, and that’s exactly what I want.”
Maya smiled slightly, deciding to be convinced. “Alright, I believe you… just let me know if I screw it up.”
Phoenix shook his head. “I think if anyone’s going to screw this up it’ll be me. I’m the one keeping you at arm’s length, remember?” He placed his hands on her shoulders and started massaging in consolation.
The woman’s head rolled back in euphoria and a small moan escaped her lips. All that desk slamming must have given Phoenix stronger hands than she was expecting. “Don’t stop and you can keep me at arm’s length.” She opened her eyes to look at him upside down. “Let’s tell the elders you’re a masseuse now so they’ll let me keep you.”
“I thought your attendants had to be female.”
Maya’s lips turned upward in amusement. “You might look cute in a skirt.”
Phoenix removed his hands from the woman’s shoulders. “Maybe I should just set about clearing my name instead.”
Sighing, Maya sat up straight and started getting back to her feet. “I guess so. Then… I guess I should get back, huh?”
Phoenix begrudgingly nodded.
“Are you sure you’ll be okay without me?” Maya asked.
(Not a chance.) “I’ll feel worse if I let those elders make things any harder on you.”
Maya seemed to accept that. The pair filed out of the loft apartment and down the stairs in to what was only yesterday the Wright and Co. Law Office. Each step they took was devoid of conversation. They both already knew how they felt. Instead, they entered the office to figure out how to say goodbye.
Maya stopped in front of the door to the outside unable to open it. Overwhelming apprehension pulled on her like a magnet keeping her in the office. She turned around suddenly latching on to Phoenix in the tightest hug she could manage.
“I don’t want to step out that door,” she breathed. “When I do… we can’t be a couple any more…”
Phoenix held on to her and shut his eyes. He could have told her they would still be a couple no matter where they were but he knew exactly what she meant. The instant she passed that threshold the masquerade had to begin. So instead, there they stood; trapping each other in an embrace they were too afraid to break.
“Nick,” Maya said after a time. “What are you going to tell the others? Edgeworth, Maggey, Gumshoe… They’ll all wonder what really happened… and where I went.”
Phoenix exhaled over Maya’s shoulder, still not letting go of her. “I could always tell them you just left me in a childish huff.”
Maya frowned. “Does it have to be a childish one? Couldn’t you say it’s more like a divorce where I threw things at you and dumped all your clothes on the lawn?”
“What lawn?”
Maya sighed. “I’m serious, Nick. Everyone else will want to help you too. If you think Kristoph is that dangerous, I’m not the only one who could get hurt. I don’t want you getting hurt either.” Her voice began to waver. “I… I don’t want us winding up like Sis and Diego.”
“I won’t let that happen, Maya.” Phoenix squeezed her tighter.
“How can you be so sure? After yesterday… I feel like all your luck has been used up.”
Phoenix lifted Maya’s head so she looked at him. “I promise you I’ll be careful. I’m probably just being paranoid like you said.”
Maya looked away from Phoenix and rested her head on his chest again. She knew she should not try to stop him. She knew that if he did not investigate they could never move forward. She still did not like it. There was also one other matter that scared her even more.
“Nick,” she started again. “Come to Kurain with me.”
“Maya, you know I can’t…”
“I know you can’t enter the village. I just want you to go back with me. Please. I… I don’t want to tell Pearly alone.”
(Pearls… she’s going to have a lot dropped on her too…) Phoenix could not refuse the request. If nothing else, the little girl deserved to see him and Maya as official “special someones.” He nodded his head.
Maya smiled in relief. “I’ll give her a call and tell her to meet us at the train station.”
Phoenix released Maya and moved to the desk where he had left his suit jacket the previous night. He stopped and looked at it as though it were a body in a casket. His hand moved to the naked lapel and he ran his thumb over the spot his badge used to rest. “I don’t know if I can ever wear this again,” he sighed.
Maya moved in behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders and her head next to his. “You can still yell ‘objection’ at me if you want,” she offered.
Phoenix gave a single chuckle. “Maya, you’re the least objectionable thing in my life right now.” He turned his head and felt her rest her head on his. (How can that feel so weird but so natural at the same time?) Zipping up his hoodie he decided to just go as he was.
“Nick, your suit is part of you…” Maya complained. “Promise me you’ll wear it again when we catch whoever did this.”
Phoenix nodded, accepting her terms. “We should probably get going before the elders call you again.”
“Ugh, yeah.” Maya waved to the plant in the corner. “Bye, Charley!”
“We have to talk to Pearls before they lock you up too,” Phoenix added. He grabbed his keys and phone from his desk and started leading Maya to the door. “You know, I’ve been wondering, just how did she originally get the notion we were ‘special someones’ anyway?”
Maya was taken off guard by the question. She blushed and looked away from him. “Well, remember when I went back to Kurain after you got Edgeworth off the hook?”
“Yeah?”
“I, well, I kinda wouldn’t shut up about you…”
“Really?”
Maya puffed out her cheeks. “It’s not funny, Nick!”
Phoenix smirked, apparently disagreeing with her assessment. “Is that why you wouldn’t do your first channeling without me?”
Maya’s face was completely red by this point. “…Kinda…”
The former lawyer smiled at her, even if she was looking anywhere but in his eye. “To tell you the truth I couldn’t even work after you left,” he admitted, just to share in the embarrassment. “It was like all the fun had just been sucked out of law.”
Maya watched Phoenix shut the door behind them and lock it up. “Maybe we should have known we’d wind up like this.” She frowned. “Together, I mean, not… you know.” Maya pulled out her phone to call Pearl rather than continue reiterating their dilemma.
Phoenix nodded again. “We’re still together on the ride over,” he said in compensation.
He watched her hair catch the sun as she brushed it aside to place the phone to her ear. She really was beautiful; even without trying. Something told him that this two hour trip would be over far too soon.

April 20, 3:04pm
Medium Valley Train Station

There was a cry of “Mr. Nick! Mystic Maya!” from somewhere in the crowd. Several people complained and stepped backwards to avoid stepping on the nine-year-old girl barreling through them. Phoenix knelt down and caught Pearl in a hug as she collided with him.
“Mr. Nick, are you okay? Did Mystic Maya help you? What’s a forgin’ turney? Why aren’t you wearing your suit?” The girl had a million questions to ask and the two adults with her knew she would be getting even more answers than she wanted.
“Let’s go somewhere private to talk, okay?” Phoenix requested.
Pearl nodded and hurriedly followed after him and Maya. They chose the small (and thankfully empty) burger joint they frequented at the train station; Tramburger Station. It specialized in elongated hamburgers on sub sandwich rolls to simulate a train shape. Maya often referred to it as “the last sign of civilization before you hit Kurain.”
The trio took a seat in a secluded booth in the corner; Phoenix and Maya together on one side and Pearl on the other.
Phoenix pressed his teeth in to his upper lip for a while before deciding to start with the young medium’s last question first. It seemed to be the best way to ease in to things. “Pearls, the reason I’m not in my suit… is because I’m not a lawyer any more.”
Pearl looked at him with devastated eyes, as if he had just taken her favorite ball and popped it. “But… you are a lawyer, Mr. Nick. You can’t just stop being one!”
(Oh geez, if Pearls made that face at the Bar Association meeting I’d probably still have my badge…) “Some evidence I used turned out to be fake. The people in charge think I was trying to cheat… so they won’t let me be an attorney any more.” (This is so hard. Maya, say something!)
“Mr. Nick, you would never cheat!” Pearl insisted.
Phoenix leaned forward on the table. (I did… just not knowingly.) “I didn’t, Pearls. Someone else did and framed me. Now we’re getting to the hard part…”
Maya leaned forward as well. She felt this next line was her responsibility. “Pearly, we aren’t going to be able to see Nick for a while.”
“Wh-what?” Pearl frantically looked back and forth at the faces in front of her. She had just been told she was losing the closet thing to a father figure and simply could not accept that. It had to be some kind of joke.
Phoenix took her tiny hands in his in an attempt to calm her. “I just have to figure out what happened, Pearls. You remember how I always investigated things, right?”
“So we have to find out who really cheated?”
“‘We’ can’t, Pearls. The guy I think did it could be really dangerous. I don’t want you or Maya getting hurt so I have to do this alone.”
Pearl’s eyes began to water. “B-but we always help you…”
“Pearls…”
“Mystic Maya is your special someone. Sh-she’ll get lonely!” Pearl’s eyes scanned the pair again hoping for any sign that her case was being made. Instead they only looked back at her just as pensively. Pearl’s gaze fell to the table. She sniffled and pulled her hands out of Phoenix’s. “Why do the men always have to leave?”
“He’s not leaving us, Pearly,” Maya quickly tried to assure her.
“No!” Pearl shouted over her tears. “He always denied being your special someone! Don’t… Don’t try to… to…” Her speech was choked off by the lump in her throat. She had truly believed Phoenix was different but her fairytale was crashing down around her.
Phoenix quickly moved to Pearl’s side to comfort her. The young medium tried to push him off but was far too upset to succeed. “Pearls, I promise I’m not leaving you,” he swore, “and I’m not leaving Maya either.”
Pearl finally looked at him with tearful eyes. “Th-the men always leave,” she croaked.
Phoenix hugged her tightly and gently shushed her. “Not me, Pearls. I’m doing this so I don’t have to leave. You and Maya are the most important people in my life.”
She desperately wanted to believe him but experience had told her otherwise. All she had seen in Kurain was unhappy relationships falling apart. “Th-then how come we can’t see you? Why you won’t let us help you?”
“You will get to help me; but from Kurain. We just can’t let anyone know that or else we could get in real trouble.”
Maya moved in next to Phoenix and set about drying Pearl’s eyes. “He’s right, Pearly. Until we get everything cleared up we’re going to have to be really sneaky; like ninjas. The elders can’t know, the man Nick’s after can’t know… we have to keep everything a secret.”
Pearl was still not sure what exactly was going on but she knew she could believe anything Maya said; at least when she was this serious. Pearl focused on Phoenix and decided to give him one last chance. “You promise you aren’t leaving Mystic Maya?”
Phoenix gave her a tiny smile. “Of course I’m not, Pearls. I love her too much.”
The confession broke its way through Pearl’s sorrow and her mouth hung open. She could feel her heart soaring. “You… you really mean it?” She fought against her hands that were trying to apply themselves to her cheeks. After three years of denial it simply sounded too good to be true.
Rather than confirming things vocally, Phoenix stood upright, leaned over and took Maya in his arms. He bent her over backwards and planted the largest kiss he could manage full on her lips. For her part, Maya squeaked in surprise and even did that leg lift thing she always saw in the movies.
Pearl inhaled until her lungs simply could not hold any more air. She hopped up on to the booth’s seat and started bouncing and shrieking in joy at the same time. She tried to scream, “I knew it!” but she was just too excited to form comprehensible words.
Phoenix broke the kiss and set about trying to get Pearl under control while Maya caught her breath. “Pearls, sit back down,” he instructed. “You’re going to get shoe prints on the ceiling.”
Pearl did as she was told but only because she still could not think straight. Her whole body vibrated as though she had escaped a bag of sugar by eating her way to freedom. Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew Phoenix still had to leave but that was nothing compared to seeing him finally confessing his love for his special someone.
Maya fanned herself, still coming down from her unexpected high. “Wow, Nick…” was all she said. (I thought you said we were going to take things slow… Whew…)
“I believe you, Mr. Nick,” Pearl decided. “I can’t wait to reserve the main temple for the wedding!”
Phoenix and Maya grimaced at each other.
“Pearly… there’s one other hard part,” Maya confessed before her cousin ran off to make wedding plans right then and there. “Our relationship has to be a secret too.”
Pearl looked puzzled but thankfully not as crushed as she had earlier. “B-but everyone knows you’re special someones.”
(Tell me about it…) Phoenix thought. “No, Pearls, everyone thinks we’re ‘special someones.’ If word gets out to the wrong people that we really are… Maya, or even you, could be targeted again.”
“Right now everyone thinks Nick is a bad guy,” Maya added. “If people find out we’re together, reporters would ruin the reputation of Kurain Village again… and my reputation too. The elders can’t know about us either.” Maya honestly did not care about her own standing, but she knew it was now irreparably interwoven with Kurain’s.
Pearl cocked her head. “Why not?”
“Maya’s a new leader,” Phoenix started, trying to explain things as tenderly as possible. “If they know we’re together and they think I’m a bad guy they won’t do what she says. They’ll think she’s a bad guy too.”
That answer only seemed to confuse Pearl further. “But you aren’t. Why would they do that?”
Maya smiled at her. “Because they aren’t as mature as you, Pearly.”
Phoenix’s pocket began playing the Steel Samurai theme. He immediately dreaded whoever it was. There was a very likely chance it was his parents again. He had not called anyone back who had tried to reach him since yesterday. When he pulled out his phone, however, it was a number he did not recognize. He took his chances, took a step away from his company, and accepted the call.
“Hello?” he greeted.
“Phoenix Wright?” asked a cool, refined male voice with a German accent.
“That’s me.”
“Mr. Wright, this is Kristoph Gavin.”
Phoenix’s eyes bulged and his heart stopped. He might have started a cold sweat but he could not tell with his face suddenly going numb. “Oh, h-hi. What’s going on?” (Oh God, does he know? No, no, that’s impossible. Just keep it together… Act natural. How did he even get my number?)
Kristoph’s voice remained as calm as ever. “I just wanted to call and tell you how bad I feel about what happened to you. You were such a talented attorney.”
“Oh, well… thanks.” (Yeah, that was natural.)
“I was wondering if you’d like to go out for a drink tonight. My treat. I can’t imagine you’ve had much to enjoy lately so think of this as my way of making things up to you on behalf of the world.”
(“The world” had nothing to do with it…) “That sounds great, Kristoph. Where should I meet you?”
Maya gasped at the name, forcing Phoenix to turn slightly and cup his hand around the receiver.
“I know a little place that’s out of the way,” Kristoph said. “It’s a restaurant called the Borscht Bowl Club. I cannot recommend the food but their bartender is top notch. His talents are wasted there. ‘First class in all things,’ I always say.” His smile could practically be heard over the phone.
“Uh, what time?”
“Does eight o’clock sound good to you?”
“Eight o’clock sounds great. I’ll see you there.”
“Excellent. Until then, Wright. Farewell.”
“Bye.” Phoenix had barely ended the call when he felt Maya grab him.
“Kristoph?” she all but screamed.
Phoenix put his phone back in his pocket. “He wants to meet me for a drink tonight.”
“Nick, no,” Maya ordered. “If he thinks… No.” She tightened her grip. “It’s happening… we’re going to end up like Sis and Diego. No, Nick. You can’t go!”
“Mr. Nick, you can’t go!” Pearl repeated, climbing out of the booth. Seeing her cousin begging hysterically meant this Kristoph person must have been that dangerous man she had just been told about.
“I have to,” Phoenix replied. “If I can get close to him maybe I can figure out the truth. This is perfect.”
“This isn’t perfect!” Maya countered. “You told me how the magatama reacted to him. I know you want to keep us safe but we want to keep you safe too!”
Pearl nodded emphatically.
Phoenix leaned down and put his arms around the both of them like a football huddle. “I don’t believe he’s just being friendly either but he’s probably just making sure I’m not looking in to him. If I just act normal he won’t get suspicious and everything will be fine.”
Maya frowned. There was no stopping him. “You’d better be,” she warned. “I don’t want to lose my boyfriend on the first day.”
“It’s not the first day, Mystic Maya,” Pearl helpfully pointed out.
“And it won’t be the last,” Phoenix promised, going back to a proper standing position. “If things look bad I’ll get out of there and I’ll call you right after it’s over, okay?”
Maya thought this over. “You’d better.” She reached in to her pocket and pulled something out of it. “Take this too, just in case.”
Phoenix began to reach for the object until he realized what it was and stopped short. “What? Maya, no, I’m not going to mace him.”
“Hey, you said he was dangerous.”
“He might be, but it’s not like he’s going to attack me in the middle of the restaurant.”
Maya pushed the canister back towards Phoenix. “But, but what if he gets all handsy or something?”
Phoenix threw his hands up. “Handsy? Maya, I’m not going on a date with him!” he shouted. If the workers behind the counter did not stare at them for the kiss they certainly were now. “Look, it’s just drinks. I’ll be fine. I promise you I’ll call right after.”
Maya sighed and shoved her pepper spray back in her robes. “Fine. I’ll figure out my schedule too so you’ll know when it’s safe to call me after tonight. The last thing I want is my phone going off and me having to tell my students or the elders it was a wrong number.”
Phoenix was about to compliment her on her foresight but found himself saying something completely different. “You’re teaching classes?”
“Don’t look at me like that. Yes, I’m teaching classes. It is a channeling school, after all, and I’m the Master, aren’t I?”
“W-well, I just… never really knew what exactly a Master did.” (That and I shudder to think some of the things you’d teach the youth of our nation.)
Maya shrugged. “What did you think, Nick? I’m not going to just sit around looking pretty. I head and supervise our government, technically, but I mostly just look over acolytes… like this one here.” She nudged Pearl.
The little girl smiled at her cousin. “I am honored, Mystic Maya!”
Maya met the smile with one of her own. “Did you bring what I asked, Pearly?”
Pearl nodded and reached in to her robes. She produced Maya’s digital camera and handed it to her.
“Then you’ve passed your first assignment with flying colors.” Maya flung her arm around Phoenix and held the camera at arm’s length snapping a picture before anyone else was ready. She checked the screen on the back to find herself smiling brightly with Phoenix looking somewhat surprised and Pearl barely in the shot at all.
“You might want to give us some warning next time,” Phoenix suggested, rubbing away the blind spots the flash had left in his eyes.
“Then it wouldn’t be a spontaneous slice of life, Nick,” Maya rebutted. She turned off her camera and slipped it in to her robes. “I’ll send you a copy of that when I get back. I don’t want you forgetting us now.”
Phoenix smirked. “I’ll keep in touch. I don’t want you forgetting me either.” His eyes flitted to nothing in particular. “You two are the only people I don’t want forgetting me right now.”
Pearl was clearly concerned by his last utterance.
Maya frowned at Phoenix. She distinctly remembered telling him to stop being so cynical. Still, she knew what he was going through. She knelt down next to Pearl to try and explain. “Pearly, do you remember when the Evil Magistrate hired spies to follow the Steel Samurai?”
The young medium gnawed on her thumbnail trying to remember. She had seen all of the Steel Samurai thanks to Maya but she honestly preferred Kids’ Masterpiece Theatre. She tentatively nodded, recalling something to that effect.
“And do you remember how the Steel Samurai acted when he found out?” Maya asked.
Pearl concentrated really hard, the episode beginning to come back to her. “He changed his daily routine… and led them all to a clearing where he cut them down.” The scene had been a bit much for Pearl, who had covered her eyes, but she remembered her older cousin cheering it on and giving an excited play-by-play account.
“Well, Nick can’t exactly go around killing people but, like the Steel Samurai, he can’t lead the spies to his friends either. Once he catches them, or him, or whoever, then everything will go back to how it was.”
Pearl nodded in understanding and attempted to envision Phoenix with a samurai spear strapped to his back carrying a pink clad Maya-princess in to an ancient Japanese castle.
Phoenix would not exactly parallel his life to a kids’ show, nor was he optimistic enough to presume everything would go back to how it was, but he did find the metaphor apt enough. “Maya’s right, Pearls. Until I know what’s going on, I just have to lay low.”
“Says the man who was trying to swallow my tongue in public…” Maya remarked.
Pearl gasped. That did not sound nearly as romantic as it should have been worded.
Phoenix shrugged. “There’s no public here at 3:30.” He opted not to turn and face the workers in the restaurant. Somehow after the kiss, Pearl’s shrieking, and everything else he assumed making eye contact would probably just make them call the police.
“3:30?” Maya repeated. She frowned. “I need to get back to Kurain or they’ll think that ‘scum sucking ex-attorney’ has locked me in his basement.”
“That’s ridiculous. I don’t have a basement.”
Maya pursed her lips. “You’re starting to scare me, Nick.”
Phoenix shrugged again. Instead of saying anything he just wandered in to Maya and gave her a loose hug she immediately returned.
“Please be careful tonight,” Maya whispered. “I’ll talk to you soon.”
Phoenix planted a quick kiss on her lips and nodded. “Give those elders one for me.”
“I’ll give them one too, Mr. Nick,” Pearl reported, moving in and tightly hugging the former attorney. One what she was not quite sure, but she would do anything to help her favorite special someones.
Phoenix patted Pearl on the back and released her. The trio walked out of the fast food restaurant and went their separate ways without even a wave or an utterance of the word “goodbye.” None of them knew what to say when they parted so they said nothing at all. Was it happy because Phoenix and Maya were finally together? Was it sad because they were physically apart? Was it frightening because the unknown lurked around the corner? It was everything; an emotional tug-of-war in which none of them wanted to participate.
Phoenix took a seat on the train and hoped a handle on the situation would present itself. Looking out his window, all he saw was a myriad of unfamiliar faces. The mediums were already gone.

One minor thing: Why is Pearl still nine years old after seven years?
This evidence clearly contradicts your claim!

Eumetazoa wrote:
One minor thing: Why is Pearl still nine years old after seven years?

Because it isn't seven years later. This takes place the day after the disbarment.

I read your chapter nevertalk, and it was so amazing! I loved it! It was sad, yes, but there was still a lot of humor, which made it such a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Okay, now I just need to finish reading all of the other stories xD
Page 134 of 158 [ 6281 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 158  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby