Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 6 of 8[ 303 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Characters you hated but grew to like? Or like to hate?Topic%20Title

Ace Sidekick!

CatMuto wrote:
Emiko Gale wrote:
Stuff that is sensitive toward guys...I don't know what that makes me.

I believe they'd call you a stupid bitch cause they don't like to admit the truth: That you are right. And actually intelligent. Then again, I tend to box people into stereotypes - if I get proven wrong, that's fine by me, but I really end up being right about my stereotyping.

C-A

Gee, thanks. c:

I meant the fact that you are intelligent as a compliment.
And the stereotyping was towards guys who are afraid of intelligent women.
My post probably is easy to misunderstand.

C-A

Ace Sidekick!

CatMuto wrote:
I meant the fact that you are intelligent as a compliment.
And the stereotyping was towards guys who are afraid of intelligent women.
My post probably is easy to misunderstand.

C-A

My poor brain. x_x

I grew to love Franziska. I hated her during JfA because her constant whipping and uptight attitude just got so annoying (Yes, you're Manfred von Karma's daughter, we get it already), but during T&T and AAI you got to see a slightly different side of her and she eventually grew on me.

I actually really hated :minuki: at first. I can't explain why because I instantly loved Apollo... then I think when I found out
Spoiler:
they are siblings
I grew to like her. Repeated playing of GS4 and I now love her.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Dislike --> Like (because "hate" is too strong in most of these cases): Ema Skye (1-5), in a sense. Because when I first encountered her I thought she was just a Maya-ripoff, and furthermore, a bad one, with an irritating obsession with science as her only gimmick, but eventually I warmed up on her. Gant: Not really, but I didn't really get why people liked him that much before I replayed 1-5. Now I do. Adrian Andrews: At first I thought she was a bit irritating but she grew on me. Klavier: I never disliked Klavier but I thought he was kind of boring and moreover acted like a whimpy child outside of court in 4-3, but now I think he's a fun guy, and in contrast to a lot of people I thought his situation in 4-4 was greatly handled and made me sympathize with him. Palaeno: I didn't dislike him before and I can't say I like him now, but when I first saw him he creeped me out, but eventually I kind of got used to him and appreaciated his gentleness. Yumihiko Ichiyanagi: At first I couldn't stand him, but when I realized just how amazingly stupid he was, I started thinking he was funny and grew to like him a lot. Sasha Buckler: At one point I actually thought "No, this one I won't ever like", but she grew on me, even if she isn't a favourite of mine. And I kind of have to put Apollo here too, even if it was more of a harsh preconception of mine before even playing AJ because 1. He wasn't Phoenix, 2. I saw him slamming his desk with both of his fists, 3. he had a shrilly voice and 4. his damage sprites are so incredibly ugly I almost found them provoking. Then I read that he spent the nights screaming to practice his "Chords of steel", he was critical even to some of his clients, he was described as having "a vain side" and regularly made puns of his last name, and that in addition the previous points made me think that this could go either way; either he would actually turn out to be quite fun, or, more likely, the most heinous character ever. So imagine my surprise when I played AJ and he went from actually being nice and tolerable to one of my absolute favourites.

Like --> Dislike: Larry, because there was a time when I could stand him. Although he's always been annoying and I mostly blame my growing disapproval of him on bad writing and Flanderization. Hakari Mikagami: I thought she was amusing at first, but I quickly grew tired of her. She stepped up a bit near the end of the game, but not that much.
Spoiler: DLC case
Marlon Rimes after his transformation. Huh? Huh?

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
. And I kind of have to put Apollo here too, even if it was more of a harsh preconception of mine before even playing AJ because 1. He wasn't Phoenix, 2. I saw him slamming his desk with both of his fists, 3. he had a shrilly voice and 4. his damage sprites are so incredibly ugly I almost found them provoking. Then I read that he spent the nights screaming to practice his "Chords of steel", he was critical even to some of his clients, he was described as having "a vain side" and regularly made puns of his last name, and that in addition the previous points made me think that this could go either way; either he would actually turn out to be quite fun, or, more likely, the most heinous character ever. So imagine my surprise when I played AJ and he went from actually being nice and tolerable to one of my absolute favourites.

Yes, seconded, yes, seconded, yes, yes, yes. I was absolutely sure he was going to be absolutely vile and heinous, with his ugly desk-slam-thingie and damage sprites and chords of steel and sarcasm and... Yes, I grew to love him too. Lil' fella.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Emiko Nabile Gale wrote:
Quote:
Well now, that's simply a Double Standard - like how a guy can have sex with several girls and is called a cool stud, but if a girl sleeps with several guys and always gets called a slut. Or a nympho, although that term is technically not right in most cases.

I know, that's why I am tired of people who overuse the word slut or whore. Or just insecure girls who put down the confident girls who they would call sluts or whores just to make themselves look good.

Well, it's mostly the fact that... I'm not sure if I'm right here, but for an attractive girl, it's incredibly easy to have relationship with one or several males. I mean what I say, when I say incredibly easy. The other way around... I'm not sure. I'm not sure whether I can speak from experience, because my experience is lack of it. I am not really sure, but I don't think I can say I look badly... I think? ^^; And yet, I don't see many girls interested around me, really :ron: So, maybe it might be considered some sort of achievement?... :eh?:

...I got way too personal there. :basil:

You know, a Mario game!

Apollo, most definitely. At first, I didn't even want to play GS4 because it didn't have Phoenix as the main character, and I hated Apollo's design at first. While Phoenix's hair was somewhat anime-esque I found that it could still be taken seriously, and I thought that Apollo's hair was way too ridiculous to be taken seriously at all. Then I played the game, and for the first case, I hated him. Then he punched Phoenix and that's when I started to notice the differences between him and his predecessor. He's now my favorite of the main 4 playable characters in the series.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

King Derpey III

I used to loathe Brushel, now I find him a bit funny.

dimentiorules wrote:
Apollo, most definitely. At first, I didn't even want to play GS4 because it didn't have Phoenix as the main character, and I hated Apollo's design at first. While Phoenix's hair was somewhat anime-esque I found that it could still be taken seriously, and I thought that Apollo's hair was way too ridiculous to be taken seriously at all. Then I played the game, and for the first case, I hated him. Then he punched Phoenix and that's when I started to notice the differences between him and his predecessor. He's now my favorite of the main 4 playable characters in the series.

I used to dislike him until DD. Even before Case 4-5 happened, I still was a lot more fond of his DD characterization.

Wendy Oldbag is one big like -> hate example. I found her amusing. At first.

I've felt worse.

Sligneris wrote:

I found Oldbag to be tolerable in the first game. The run-on talking never continued on for too long to be groan-worthy. It's her later appearances that flanderized her "admiring" Edgeworth, where her character becomes groan-worthy. And then in the credits of Trials and Tribulations, she appears, why?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

You know, a Mario game!

Sligneris wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

I used to dislike him until DD. Even before Case 4-5 happened, I still was a lot more fond of his DD characterization.

What the heck are you talking about? There is no case 4-5! GS4 only has 4 cases!
My Twitter Account

The penguin is MINE

Hmm... I'd have to say...
Like -> Hate:
:godot: - At first, he was pretty cool, even if he was a bit of a jerk to Phoenix. Once 3-5 came around, though, my opinion of him plummeted.
:lotta-smug: - I didn't mind her in 1-4 all that much (so I guess this is more of a "tolerate->hate" character). But then she showed up in 2-2 AND 2-4, and I was pretty much sick of her by then.

Hate -> Like:
:sassy: - I wasn't too fond of older Ema's personality since I preferred the way she was in 1-5, but over time, she grew on me.

I've felt worse.

dimentiorules wrote:
Sligneris wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

What the heck are you talking about? There is no case 4-5! GS4 only has 4 cases!

I think he means cases 4-5 of GS5. Emphasis on "think".
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Your thinking is indeed correct. I should have used slash.

Spoiler:
If anything my biggest nominee from hate to like (or at least tolerate) would have to go to Simon Blackquill, I mean you wanna talk about the biggest prick Prosecutor on the Ace Attorney series other than Franziska von Karma. Reason why I pick him is because while playing the entire Dual Destinies game, he just did nothing but piss me off with the way he would screw with some Defense Attorney strategies: Biggest example would be when he stopped Apollo Justice from using his bracelet in the courtroom to find lies. What would ultimately take me to really hate him is that at the beginning of the very last case he charged Athena Cykes with murder over evidence that I knew was fabricated a mile away.

What ultimately won at least my tolerance for him was his deep connection to both Athena Cykes and her mother and it gave me a glimpse of knowing why he did what he did. I'm hoping that he mellows out in future games but if he doesn't when Ace Attorney 6 comes along, I don't think my playthrough of that is gonna be enjoyable.

Now in terms of hating a character with like at the end of the tunnel: Damon Gant, even before I was able to out him as the killer in Case 5, he was just nothing but flat out annoying and looked like he didn't take his job seriously. What made me hate him even more was the fact that he nearly tore apart two sisters that had the same amount of age difference as Mia and Maya Fey, and when I finally got to beat this guy that was the first time that I felt I actually accomplished a game.

Quote:
Spoiler:
What would ultimately take me to really hate him is that at the beginning of the very last case he charged Athena Cykes with murder over evidence that I knew was fabricated a mile away.

Exactly how is that any different from any of the previous cases or prosecutors?

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

I didn't hate Franziska when I met her for the first time, but I can't say I was too fond of her either, I think I found her rather bland and annoying. Then it was the adorable airport scene, and after playing all the games I fell harder and harder for her. Oh, my dear Franziska... I don't really know what happened there.

Pearl made an odd impression and I only thought she was in the game to be "cute". Then I realized that she was rather funny after all.

When I played the first trial I found the judge terrible, I remember thinking he seemed arrogant and annoying. But when I realized he was a sweet, absent-minded old man my opinion changed.

Quote:
When I played the first trial I found the judge terrible, I remember thinking he seemed arrogant and annoying. But when I realized he was a sweet, absent-minded old man my opinion changed.

The first case is pretty weird, because the Judge is actually semi-competent.

C-A

I think he also is pretty competent in Dual Destinies, and yet, he is still pretty much himself.

I guess additional ten years of experience mean something ^^

You know, a Mario game!

Actually, let's say the entire first game has the judge be incredibly competent. It wasn't until Trials And Tribulations, and, to a lesser extent, Justice For All, that he became the airhead we know him now as. It's called flanderization.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
My Twitter Account

[Whip the cream!]

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

The first case is pretty weird, because the Judge is actually semi-competent.

C-A

I don't remember much of it, I wonder if he would strike me as arrogant if I replayed it? :udgey:

[Whip the cream!]

I loathed Dahlia until I replayed case 3-5 recently. She was... well, a terrible, vile person, but also rather funny. "She hated his guts!"

The video game boy; the one who wins

Now that I think about it, I can imagine her acting frail, sweet and "innocent" would be quite amusing from her point of view. It almost makes me want to put on a pink dress, pick up an umbrella and try to wrap people around my little finger, but I gues I'd be in for some utter disappointment.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
Now that I think about it, I can imagine her acting frail, sweet and "innocent" would be quite amusing from her point of view. It almost makes me want to put on a pink dress, pick up an umbrella and try to wrap people around my little finger, but I gues I'd be in for some utter disappointment.

I was about to say "I'd like it too, but as a redhead, I look dreadful in pink". That didn't stop Dahlia...

Threefive:

Spoiler:
Godot...I was certain he was going to be the killer and I ws right...
But I grew to like him. He made me laugh. :jake:

I didn't think Lana was nice at the beginningbut I grew to like her. :)

You know, a Mario game!

Don't double post. The edit button is there for a reason.
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
Don't double post. The edit button is there for a reason.

Was it for me? I wrote two different things but I could have edited it in the same... Sorry. :/

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

I didn't really like Klavier at first because he was one of those characters that was just 'too' perfect. I mean, he was a talented and successful prosecutor, a talented and successful musician, really attractive, etc. Then Turnabout Serenade came along and showed some bad signs to him (perfectionist, diva) which in turn made him a lot more likable.

earthlings on fire

I was seriously annoyed by Fulbright at first. I found his character to be really empty and while I was alright not having Gumshoe, Fulbright made me miss having a detective that the characters could connect to a little more. He just seemed so...hollow.

Soon, though, I warmed up to him (probably thanks to his incredible theme tune). I think the short animated window scene in 5-3 was what changed my opinion
It was pretty adorable.

Spoiler: 5-5
I suppose my initial impression was oddly accurate! It was certainly an interesting twist, but I would have liked to see the real Fulbright.

ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Cravat of Doom wrote:
I suppose my initial impression was oddly accurate! It was certainly an interesting twist, but I would have liked to see the real Fulbright.

Spoiler:
Isn't it said that he is so good at impersonating someone, that he acts just like the real one does? So wouldn't that mean that, technically, you do get to know the real Fullbright, even if the "real" one is dead?

C-A

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

Spoiler:
Isn't it said that he is so good at impersonating someone, that he acts just like the real one does? So wouldn't that mean that, technically, you do get to know the real Fullbright, even if the "real" one is dead?

C-A

Spoiler:
Technically, we don't know if he actually took the time to study and observe what the real Fulbright was like so he could properly impersonate him. Personally, I like to think that he just saw Fulbright say "In justice we trust!" one time, then based his impersonation entirely around that.

sumguy28 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

Spoiler:

C-A

Spoiler:
Technically, we don't know if he actually took the time to study and observe what the real Fulbright was like so he could properly impersonate him. Personally, I like to think that he just saw Fulbright say "In justice we trust!" one time, then based his impersonation entirely around that.

Spoiler:
That's a possibility, but if he had not the reputation of impersonating someone so well that you'd think it's the real person...... although it doesn't necessarily mean that it requires a lot of time. Look at Kaito Kid from Detective Conan. He's so good at impersonating someone, and it barely takes much time for him to prepare everything.

C-A

Last edited by CatMuto on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's a possibility, but if he had not the reputation of impersonating someone so well that you'd think it's the real person...... although it doesn't necessarily mean that it requires a lot of time. Look at Kaito Kid from Detective Conan. He's so good at impersonating someone, and it barely takes much time for him to prepare everything.

C-A
Spoiler:
But then that means that the real Fulbright didn't have much of a personality aside from shouting "In justice we trust! I am the pinnacle of justice! Oh no! My justice was wrong! Wait, never mind, I was right!"

By the way, put what you wrote in a spoiler tag, because that's kind of a big spoiler.

Done. I thought I had somehow been vague enough.

C-A

Interested in the Supernatural

Hate-->Like
It was the same with Godot for me.
Basically I thought he was a jerk. He got pretty annoying during trials, too.
But when it actually showed his backround, I don't know. Something changed.
The thing with Mia... It made me cry. And after that, I loved him.
Like-->Hate
Sister Bikni. I don't really now, but I just instantly started liking her the first time I saw her. But then she just got annoying real fast. Nothing big.
And again, I also don't like Pearl for some reason. Her personality just bothers me in the 3rd game. But I did like her In the 2nd one. :pearl:
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.

Ace Explorer

Hate ---> Like
Matt Engarde. At first I just assumed he was a fizzy douche and an airhead (like this: :mattphone: ). I don't really like characters like that.
Then he showed himself to be a manipulative jerkass :psycho-matt: , and it really became a 'like to hate' thing. It... grabbed my interest.

Oh, and that "let me call myself" line? Awesome set-up.

If you think I should put that in a spoiler tag, let me know and I'll do it. Not sure if I should, considering GS2 came out quite a while ago.
Well? Are we going or what?

I couldn't stand Simon for almost the entire time I played the game. His "Silence!" soundclip is deeply irritating to me, I don't like his theme music, and he has that horrible tendency to call everyone exclusively by one nickname. Your Baldness. Fool Bright. Golden Boy. Space Boy. Tricky Tanuki. Stop. Stop. Stop.

It's nothing in the game that changed my mind, though he's a decent enough fellow, but... a bunch of people pointed out that, because of the localization, he's an enormous weaboo. And that got me thinking how everything about him is so try-hard. He looks like someone's overwrought DeviantArt OC. Even the nickname thing presumably comes from his sister. If Simon's a huge nerd that's trying to be a bad boy, rather than genuinely dark and mysterious, I like him so much better for it. Go figure.
Page 6 of 8 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby