Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Anyone read the manga series?Topic%20Title

Art Person

Have any other AA fans on the site read the Manga? If so, what do you think of it?

I'm up to volume 5, and I've enjoyed it so far! I like how they reference Apollo Justice, where Saito predicts Phoenix will be a Pianist, and Guy Eldoon's father is a character (Running the Noodle Wagon).

Spoiler: Turnabout Up to Heaven
I think it was a little weak for the cat to be Wheatley's murder, but at least Diana and her mother were re-united, I guess that's wat they were going .

Re: Anyone read the manga series?Topic%20Title

Yeah, I've been reading it currently. I think the cases are supposed to fill the gaps of where they're supposed to be in the timeline. Some cases are pretty interesting. Obviously I think the games cases are a lot stronger, but I think the manga cases are enjoyable to read.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I read both the Phoenix and Edgeworth mangas, and actually "studied" them quite a bit to try and fit them into the universe of the games.

I like the Phoenix Wright manga a lot. The translators did a good job and the universe is consistent with the universe of the games; everything is localized properly. I love the Apollo Justice references and while the stories aren't as good as the games they're much better than that awful fan manga that was released in 2008. I do have a problem with it, though, and that's the dates. The dates don't match up with the timeline of the games, meaning you need to pretty much ignore them. Also, I've determined through my research that parts of the PW manga have to happen BEFORE T&T and parts have to happen AFTER, right before Phoenix loses his badge. I determined that Turnabout Gallows, Turnabout Showtime, and Turnabout from Heaven happen before T&T, and that Turnabout with the wind, Turnabout prophecy, Turnabout Gurgitaiton, and turnabout Power vs. Supernatural Power happen after T&T. (This could obviously be changed by GS5). My reasoning for this are found in my "Ace Attorney Marathon" topic here in the defendant's lobby.

The Edgeworth Manga isn't nearly is good. It kicks up the violence level even more than the PW manga does, which means there's blood everywhere, the cases aren't very interesting and are predictable, and the localization was lazy, which means the game takes place in Japan and Yen is used, Ema goes to America, etc. It's still worth reading since it's AA, but you have to constantly be retconning stuff in your head.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Art Person

I've only found the 1st Volume of the Edgeworth Manga, and did notice the translations were a little lazy. The first case had characters without names!
Spoiler:
Even the killer had no name! As well as Gumshoe's female assistant

I've enjoyed the PW manga, and I'm up to the last case in volume 5. I like the addition of Russi, but It's odd how Maya never tells her she's a spirit channeler. The cases are all significantly shorter, but that's to be expected. Overall I've enjoyed what I've read so far! (To go buy more volumes, I need to travel to the city... and that's a little too much for me)

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I read the manga in its original format, so Japanese stuff everywhere. No burgers in sight. (I also unfortunately could not find the Del Rey manga, so I don't know anything out of those.)

The GS manga is pretty good for the most part, though still subpar compared to the games, and the GK manga... decent. By the time I went through the GK ones, the cases were getting pretty repetitive fast and easily predictable. In fact, someone with a small amount of knowledge of Japanese could get through them and understand the general idea behind them. I didn't mind the violence, as I'm pretty used to seeing gore, but thinking back on it, there was an unnecessary amount of blood at the scenes at times. Nonetheless, the extra comics and comments from the author were hilarious to read and overall, these were a few extra delights out of the franchise... like professionally done fanfiction. Oh wait, that's exactly what they are.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

It would be an exaggeration to say that I've read them, but I bought the Japanese version of the five Phoenix-themed manga and this here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.htm ... OBK-596389
(I searched for a link with a picture because the title seems to have been used for several manga - at least Google tells me so.)
My Japanese is...lacking, I guess, so I don't understand that much of the text yet, but from what I could read (and see), the latter manga is a sort of "behind the scenes"/parody/what-if collection of short comics. It seems to be very funny, I just wish I could understand more of it. Because of the title problem, I couldn't find a translation or short description, so I guess I'll just have to take it as a motivation to improve my Japanese.
Does anyone of you know this manga, and how to find other volumes, if there are any (and if they're of the same type as the first, or just story comics)? The ones linked under the picture seem to be of another type, because I can see their English translations on amazon.

Art Person

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I read the manga in its original format, so Japanese stuff everywhere. No burgers in sight. (I also unfortunately could not find the Del Rey manga, so I don't know anything out of those.)

The GS manga is pretty good for the most part, though still subpar compared to the games, and the GK manga... decent. By the time I went through the GK ones, the cases were getting pretty repetitive fast and easily predictable. In fact, someone with a small amount of knowledge of Japanese could get through them and understand the general idea behind them. I didn't mind the violence, as I'm pretty used to seeing gore, but thinking back on it, there was an unnecessary amount of blood at the scenes at times. Nonetheless, the extra comics and comments from the author were hilarious to read and overall, these were a few extra delights out of the franchise... like professionally done fanfiction. Oh wait, that's exactly what they are.

I'm taking that it's probably not a good idea to buy the GK Manga? (I could just skim through it in the store... :yuusaku: )
I finished the Phoenix ones, and I enjoyed them. I agree that they aren't as good as the games, but that'd make sense, as each case is quite short. I did like reading the translator's notes.
Franziska as Madame Lovetap (It was "Muchipon Sensei" in the Japanese one) was hilarious, but that made me believe it was less of a serious case, and more for the reader's enjoyment.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

SuperAj3 wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

I'm taking that it's probably not a good idea to buy the GK Manga? (I could just skim through it in the store... :yuusaku: )
I finished the Phoenix ones, and I enjoyed them. I agree that they aren't as good as the games, but that'd make sense, as each case is quite short. I did like reading the translator's notes.
Franziska as Madame Lovetap (It was "Muchipon Sensei" in the Japanese one) was hilarious, but that made me believe it was less of a serious case, and more for the reader's enjoyment.

It's up to you, really. I suggest spacing out what you read, as speeding through them all in one go gets you tired after a while. If you want to know the whole story, I don't recommend skimming, as a lot of things can easily be missed, but a simple preview can give you a general idea of how the cases go. All in all, they are worth the read, as they're still Ace Attorney cases, but are pretty short and fast-paced, even compared to the GS manga.

And if you can find them, the author's bonus comics are always a laugh. They often involve the mishaps of the author in one way or another.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

I read the original release and I quite liked it, especially as it was written by an actual detective fiction writer. The GK series was horrible though.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

The Reaper ~

I have the manga in english, the one with Phoenix, I bought the 5 volumes last year. I really liked them, but I was a bit disappointed because I though last case in 5 would feel like a... last case LOL

Never read Miles's manga but people complain a lot so I don't think I'll buy it.

Are we talking about the manga where there was some kind of introvert collecting spiders? I only read the first chapter, but I felt no real desire to continue reading it, in all honesty.

A Seeker of Truth

Honestly, I loved both manga series :phoenix: The AAI manga WAS a little weaker then AA, but I still found it enjoyable nonetheless; of course, that could be just because I'm a sucker for anything related to this series :minuki:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

GentlemanGamer wrote:
"of course, that could be just because I'm a sucker for anything related to this series"

Yes, yes, quite indeed. I'm like that too:
Ace Attorney in the title?! 10/10
Ace Attorney music?! 10/10
Ace Attorney manga?! 10/10
Ace Attorney Character? 10/10

A Seeker of Truth

Tiagofvarela wrote:
GentlemanGamer wrote:
"of course, that could be just because I'm a sucker for anything related to this series"

Ace Attorney in the title?! 10/10
Ace Attorney music?! 10/10
Ace Attorney manga?! 10/10
Ace Attorney Character? 10/10

Yeah, that's me in a nutshell as well :phoenix: Once the series entangles you and makes you a fan, you can't help but what more; in any and every format that you can find :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

I've read the first three volumes so far. They're alright. Even the worst cases in the games usually have something that leaves me thinking "that was clever", though, and the manga doesn't really do that. I ask "really?" exasperatedly a lot. If nothing else, I'd say these were INTERESTING. The solution to Turnabout Gallows in particular somehow managed to seem even more impossible than the very silly setup for the case!

I'm sad to hear the AAI manga is worse, and yet I'll probably still check it out anyway. Because it's Ace Attorney. And I have a weakness...

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

FennekinWright wrote:
I've read the first three volumes so far. They're alright. Even the worst cases in the games usually have something that leaves me thinking "that was clever", though, and the manga doesn't really do that. I ask "really?" exasperatedly a lot. If nothing else, I'd say these were INTERESTING. The solution to Turnabout Gallows in particular somehow managed to seem even more impossible than the very silly setup for the case!

I'm sad to hear the AAI manga is worse, and yet I'll probably still check it out anyway. Because it's Ace Attorney. And I have a weakness...

Yeah, they're not by any means up to the quality of the games' cases. But compared to the Del Ray fan manga that came out they're amazing. (I'm still pissed off about them marketing that as an "official casebook". It was back in 2008 and I had completed all four AA games (GS1-4) that were out at that point. I waited months for the manga and then was terribly disappointed by the strange, seemingly-not-court-related, short cases which seemed to blatantly contradict canon.

With these, it's as if Phoenix Wright was a TV show and these were the mid-season unimportant "filler" episodes that aren't really up to the level as the rest. Other than that, they're totally in line with canon, as long as you discredit some of the dates. (It's funny; the dates contradict AJ but they're are tons of references to AJ/events which set up AJ so my advice is just ignore the dates.) They're good enough to be canon, in my opinion.

You should still check out the Edgeworth manga. They're not very well-written to begin with, and the translation sucks, but it's still better than the del-ray manga. I still consider it canon.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Hey. I've just bought Gyakuten Kenji manga. But there is a problem - I don't know Japanese. I'd like to find somewhere scans of Ace Attorney Investigations (English) manga. But I can't find it anywhere. Who could share the scans?

Interested in the Supernatural

Even though the Phoenix Wright mangas are repetitive, (now that I think about it, the Edgeworth mangas were a little repetitive too)
I love them so much! I just love the art, and the jokes are hilarious.
The Phoenix Wright mangas are better than the Edgeworth ones, but that has been stated quite a few times here already.
The funny thing is, I read the manga before playing Apollo Justice, so I literally said- when the fortune teller predicted Phoenix's future, (and this a DIRECT QUOTE)
"A pianists? .... I kinda hoped the fortune teller would be correct, but no way is Phoenix quitting being an attorney!"
Poor, naïve me.
Anyway, the games are better, no doubt, but the mangas are amazing! :edgey:
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.

Interested in the Supernatural

Tiagofvarela wrote:
GentlemanGamer wrote:

Sometimes when I'm at Gamestop I'll just randomly check the DS shelf to see if they have ANYTHING pwaa related.
Just because.
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.

Because HyperMonkey was taken.

I've read the first volume, but that's it.

Cause of death is being dummy

I have the whole series available in the US. (I heard that the Investigations one had a five-volume run, but only four have apparently been translated? Is this true?)
I enjoyed the PW ones but, to be honest, I ultimately found it extremely predictable. I can't really think of any instances where something was thrown at me that I didn't totally see coming. Of course, that's probably because I grew up on Detective Conan and always challenged myself to find the killer before Conan did, so I just ended up solving the cases automatically. It was enjoyable, though. A little too reminiscent of DC at times (probably a coincidence) but enjoyable nonetheless.
I liked the Investigations ones but I didn't like the localization. Especially Gumshoe... he just didn't feel like Gumshoe. :sadshoe: He didn't even say "pal".
Oh, and the fact that Russi Clover's name got changed to Candy Holly will always bug me.

Side note: the art/anatomy cracks me up. Not as bad as some of the stuff in the Phoenix Wright/Miles Edgeworth Files, but still funny.)
Spoiler: Funny anatomy I just so happened to have had on hand

And there's more where that came from. (See also: the panel I edited to make my sig. Dat forehead doe.)

迷探偵

AireyVerkhovensky wrote:
I have the whole series available in the US. (I heard that the Investigations one had a five-volume run, but only four have apparently been translated? Is this true?)

The AAI series had a four-volume run in Japan, the original GS series ran for five volumes.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I have read the first two volumes of GS so far. Overall I think they are pretty reasonable although as it has already been pointed out they have a very "filler" feel about them. The logic is a little off too. Maybe I need to read a bit more but I admit to getting more out of the short comics than the serial manga.
Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby