Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 39 posts ]

Rank the Pursuit ThemesTopic%20Title

What are your favorite Pursuit themes in order? This is mine (#1 is best. Also, I'm not including Casting Magic because the Pursuit themes always work better in context and I have yet to play PL vs. AA)

7. Pursuit ~ Questioned
6. Pursuit ~ Caught
5. Pursuit ~ Cornered
4. Pursuit ~ Overtaken
3. Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On (This one REALLY grew on me)
2. Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
1. Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly (The best AA song period)

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Rank the Pursuit ThemesTopic%20Title

earthlings on fire

7. Wanting To Find The Truth (this sounds like a Pokemon battle, in my opinion :yogi: )
6. Overtaken
5. Lying Coldly
4. Keep Pressing On
3. Cornered
2. Caught
1. Questioned (I think this sounds the most desperate)

I really like Overtaken, but not as a Pursuit theme. I think it's too merry for that-- I'd prefer it as an alternate Objection theme, perhaps.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

I really like the music.

1. Questioned
2. Keep Pressing On
3. Cornered
4. Lying Coldly
5. Wanting to Find the Truth
6. Overtaken
7. Caught
" If you wish to hang yourself, Mr. Wright, you're welcome to, but not inside my courtroom."

Ace Explorer

1. Keep Pressing On
2. Overtaken
3. Caught
4. Cornered
6. Lying Coldly
7. Questioned
Well? Are we going or what?

1. Cornered
2. Caught
3. Overtaken
4. Questioned
6. Keep Pressing On
7. Lying Coldly

So sad that everybody's putting Lying Coldy so low

Ace Explorer

JesusMonroe wrote:

Well, it just doesn't seem to have the same intensity that the others do, probably.
Really, the Presto theme is more intense than it. Strange when a 'cross-examination' theme (it's called 'Confrontation' on the OST, but same difference) can do that.
Well? Are we going or what?

Kurain Fey! Lolness, behold~!

7. Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
6. Pursuit ~ Caught
5. Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
4. Pursuit ~ Ambushed
3. Pursuit ~ Overtaken
2. Pursuit ~ Questioned
1. Pursuit ~ Cornered

:maya:
Kurain Fey! Spirit Medium at Law!

earthlings on fire

JesusMonroe wrote:

See, the thing is, I really like the tune. But I just don't really think it's a great "Pursuit" theme. Pursuit themes should have an sense of desperation to them and I just don't sense that from Lying Coldly. The song makes it seem like you've already won-- but I find the Pursuit themes are more effective when it seems like you might not.

That's why I placed the JFA Pursuit theme at #1-- it's intense and WILL YOU CATCH THEM? WHO KNOWS!~
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

AlonsoSwift wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Well, it just doesn't seem to have the same intensity that the others do, probably.
Really, the Presto theme is more intense than it. Strange when a 'cross-examination' theme (it's called 'Confrontation' on the OST, but same difference) can do that.

Cornered used to be my favorite but once you've heard the first 15 seconds, you've basically heard the entire song. Confrontation~Presto is supposed to give the feeling of "Final testimony. It can go either way from here" (listen to Confrontation~Presto 2011. It emulates that feeling perfectly) while Lying Coldly gives you the feeling that you've already won, like Cravat of Doom said. It's because of the differences in the characters of Phoenix and Edgeworth

If you didn't have context, Pursuit~Lying Coldly would be my favorite. With context, it just gets elevated to a higher level

And Cravat of Doom: I always felt like Pursuit~Questioned made it seem like YOU were the one being cornered (and I do like that. I like the song. I just like the others better)

The video game boy; the one who wins

Oh my, this was harder than I thought it'd be (even though I like ranking stuff, now I kind of feel like doing this with all differnt AA-themes). I'll just post this quickly before I change my mind.

1. Caught
2. Overtaken
3. Keep pressing on
4. Cornered
5. Lying coldly
6. Wanting to find the truth
7. Questioned

The 4, 5 and 6 are bugging me a litte though, I could just as well switched their positions completely, but let's roll with this. Cornered is, in my opinion, somewhat hard to grade because nostalgia.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Hi

1. Lying Coldly
2. Overtaken
3. Cornered
4. Wanting to Find the Truth
5. Keep Pressing On
6. Caught
7. Questioned

FWEET CLICK FWEET

5. PW AA
4 AAI
3 PL V AA
2 AJ AA
1 AA DD

honerable mention AA3

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Low-tier:
8. Caught (T&T)
7. Wanting to Find The Truth (AAI2)
6. Lying Coldly (AAI)

Mid-tier:
5. Questioned (PWAA:JFA)
4. Keep Pressing On (PWAA:DD)
3. Spell Breaker (PLvsPWAA)

Top-tier:
2. Cornered (PW:AA)
1. Overtaken (AJ:AA)

I was actually torn about where to put my low-tiers. The thing is, Lying Coldily has a very catchy chorus... that's right... a chorus. It also has verse and etc. which should NOT be in a pursuit theme IMHO. Wanting To Find The Truth is actually not that bad either, but it's that thin midi-font they used for the AAI games that ruins it for me, and I dislike distortion guitars in Ace Attorney themes in general.

Keep Pressing on could've been top tier if it didn't break down so much during the... *sigh* that solo. Just take a moment to consider how the pursuit themes are implemented. If they're only there for like 1-2 minutes it's not smart to make them too segmented, especially too because, when a pursuit track plays, you're at a high-point of a trial in the game, and your heart SHOULD be racing until the theme stops. Having changes in the flow of the track like putting those solos in there and making the drums go half-time could contradict the mood if e.g. Apollo is yelling out his final case-breaking objections that overturns everything.

That's why I have Cornered and Overtaken at the top of the list. They're blood-pumpingly tense and full of excitement through and through. They have great loop-points and they keep the flow from start to finish. Even when Overtaken breaks down before it repeats, it still has the same amount of tension and to me that's what makes those two themes so good.

I've seen many like Caught as well. My reason for putting it low-tier is that I don't think it ever peaks. simple as that. Spell-breaker was also close to being high-tier, but I didn't find its hook to be quite there. It's very tense and works well for the gameplay... but my taste of music is in the way :/

Naturally my tastes is what matters most when I choose, but if I had to argue my choices, then here you have it. :godot:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Oh shit, yes. Overtaken is the best. I knew I was gonna regret my choices at some point. :sadshoe:

8.Overtaken
7. Caught
6. Questioned
5. Spell Breaker
4. Wanting to find the truth
3. Cornered
2. Keep pressing on
1. Lying coldly
Signature loading, please wait...

linkenski wrote:
Low-tier:
8. Caught (T&T)
7. Wanting to Find The Truth (AAI2)
6. Lying Coldly (AAI)

Mid-tier:
5. Questioned (PWAA:JFA)
4. Keep Pressing On (PWAA:DD)
3. Spell Breaker (PLvsPWAA)

Top-tier:
2. Cornered (PW:AA)
1. Overtaken (AJ:AA)

I was actually torn about where to put my low-tiers. The thing is, Lying Coldily has a very catchy chorus... that's right... a chorus. It also has verse and etc. which should NOT be in a pursuit theme IMHO. Wanting To Find The Truth is actually not that bad either, but it's that thin midi-font they used for the AAI games that ruins it for me, and I dislike distortion guitars in Ace Attorney themes in general.

Keep Pressing on could've been top tier if it didn't break down so much during the... *sigh* that solo. Just take a moment to consider how the pursuit themes are implemented. If they're only there for like 1-2 minutes it's not smart to make them too segmented, especially too because, when a pursuit track plays, you're at a high-point of a trial in the game, and your heart SHOULD be racing until the theme stops. Having changes in the flow of the track like putting those solos in there and making the drums go half-time could contradict the mood if e.g. Apollo is yelling out his final case-breaking objections that overturns everything.

That's why I have Cornered and Overtaken at the top of the list. They're blood-pumpingly tense and full of excitement through and through. They have great loop-points and they keep the flow from start to finish. Even when Overtaken breaks down before it repeats, it still has the same amount of tension and to me that's what makes those two themes so good.

I've seen many like Caught as well. My reason for putting it low-tier is that I don't think it ever peaks. simple as that. Spell-breaker was also close to being high-tier, but I didn't find its hook to be quite there. It's very tense and works well for the gameplay... but my taste of music is in the way :/

Naturally my tastes is what matters most when I choose, but if I had to argue my choices, then here you have it. :godot:

Excellent write-up! (Even though I disagree with some points)

The thing about the Investigation Pursuit themes is that they should feel different. I don't even think they should be called Pursuit themes (the same way Cross Examination themes are called Confrontation themes). The Pursuit themes in the GS series are like, "Finally! I got you now!" while in Investigations, they're like, "I already won." I think Lying Coldly really reflects this. With Wanting to Find the Truth, it feels like you're conquering something larger than yourself (like a Presidential assassination. Keep Pressing On also invokes the same feeling)

I think Questioned is kind of dumb. It's kind of like a, "This court is out of control!" feeling, but I just don't like it particularly much (I have all the soundtracks on iTunes. Questioned is the only Pursuit theme I've never listened to all the way through)
Spoiler:
Just putting an interjection here. On iTunes, this is my playcount for each Pursuit theme
Cornered-108
Questioned-0 (But Hotline to Destiny has 47)
Caught-65
Overtaken-97
Lying Coldly-34561
Wanting to Find the Truth-6542
Keep Pressing On-411

There are other factors to the list (I've had Lying Coldly and Wanting to Find the Truth longer than the other themes. In fact, I've had those for about two years and I only got the full soundtracks two months ago)

I kind of agree with you about the solo in Keep Pressing On. It's definitely my least favorite part (though I like the way it transitions at 0:44) but I think each theme compliments the game well. For example, you couldn't put Keep Pressing On in place of Cornered during the confrontation with von Karma and you couldn't put Lying Coldly in Investigations 2. They all work in the context they're supposed to (sigh. Even Questioned)

I don't have Spell Breaker/Casting Magic on mine because the themes always sound better in context, so I didn't think it would be fair to rate it yet given that I haven't played PLvAA

Servant of the Goddess of Law

1.Cornered (I just love the feel of the song)
2.Questioned (Justice for all was my first Ace Attorney game and I just loved how this song set the mood)
3.Lying Coldly (It suits Edgeworth quite well and it's really catchy)
4.Wanting to Find the Truth
Spoiler:
(Very good,however I felt like it fit Gregory more than Miles.)

5.Keep Pressing On (It's good but it doesn't feel like a Pursuit thing)
6.Caught (Its good but it really doesn't fit)
7.Overtaken (In general I have always been Lukewarm about Apollo Justice and is easily my least favorite in the series, this song just doesn't fit for me)
8.Casting Magic (This was supposed to be a cornered theme? But seriously I like it but the track is so rarely used in the game)

Last edited by Gammalad on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Reaper ~

8. Caught (I just don't like it as theme)
7. Lying Coldly (like the theme, but doesn't feel like a pursuit)
6. Wanting to Find the Truth (nothing bad, just I like the others better)
5. Questioned (underrated, I think it's very suitable)
4. Casting Magic (IMO it's very complete and I enjoy hearing it over and over)
3. Cornered (it's not here because it's the first one, it's here cause I think it's really catchy and good)
2. Overtaken (AJ was my first AA game and I regret nothing, I love this theme and the game)
1. Keep Pressing On (OMG, since I heard it in the first DD trailer I loved it, it's just so awesome!)

1. Overtaken (very catchy, dynamic and megaman-ish x'D)
2. Cornered (simple and effective)
3. Lying Coldly (piano :P)
4. Keep Pressing On (the more I listen to it, the more I like it)
5. Spell Breaker (it feels... magic 8D)
6. Wanting to Find the Truth (catchy)
7. Caught (aw, I really love it but I prefer the others)
8. Questionned (I don't think it's bad but I really think it's well below all the others themes)

Of course all of those theme are awesome and the best of the franchise. :P
There are plenty people who think some of those "don't fell like they are pursuit theme" but I disagree. All of them are pretty intense and that's what I expect from a pursuit theme.
I don't see why Investigation's pursuit theme sound more like we've already won than the other. Pursuit themes play when you're going to catch the bad guy and all, they all sound like victory to me...

I don't know the names of the themes, so i am just going to say the names(I like all the themes by the way):
10 Phoenix wright vs professor layton, Cornered remixed. (some things do well orchestrated, some dont, this is one of them) :phoenix:
9 UMVC3 theme.(If this were an actual Phoenix wright game this would be at number one) :phoenix:
8 JFA theme.(Not a bad theme, just outclassed) :beef:
7 AAI1.(loops to long, doesnt sound like youre accomplishing something) :edgeworth:
6 Pursuit Cornered(Im SOO dead for saying this, i just like other themes better) :phoenix:
5 Pursuit Casting Magic(You can hear this is the theme of this game, it fitts it soo well and is just soo awesome) :udgey:
4 DD(Some parts are really boring, But the good parts stand out way to much) :athena: :simon:
3 AJ(I dont have good reason why i like this one so much, I just do) :apollo:
2 AAI2(This one is really cool, its sounds awesome, the witness is truely being dumb) :edgey: :gregory:
1 TT(Truely epic, when you hear this theme, you know the witness has done something stupid) :godot:

You know, a Mario game!

7. Caught (GS3)
6. Questioned (GS2)
5. Cornered (GS1)
4. Keep Pressing On (GS5)
3. Lying Coldly (GK1)
2. Overtaked (GS4)
1. Wanting to find the truth (GK2)

I wonder how many people are going to hate me for putting cornered so low?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

~Die-Hard Gavinners Fan~

8: DD: Keep Pressing On (Haven't played DD yet so I'm biased, but I've heard the tune and I'm not feeling it. :/ )
7: PW:T&T Caught
6: PL vs PW: Casting Magic
5: AAI: Lying Coldly
4: AAI2: Wanting to Find the Truth
3: PWAA: Cornered
2: AJ: Overtaken
1: PWJFA: Questioned

Darn you for making me choose between Overtaken and Questioned! :yani-fist: This was really a difficult exercise in general though. The Top five was reeeaally hard to choose cuz they're all such great themes!
Rhythm Heaven+Ace Attorney. Uncle Ray and Klavier Gavin need to be in court together. <3

The execution is ready, Your Honor.

Wow! It appears that there is a great diversity among answers here. Just goes to show how awesome these themes truly are. Here are mine:

1. Cornered [PW:AA] (Stirs up feelings of urgency and determination in the face of a daunting task.)
2. Caught [T&T] (A theme of triumph; it perfectly matches a feeling of a turnabout towards victory; truly the song meant for a final assault.)
3. Lying Coldly [GK1] (This one is "bitch, please" music at its finest.)
4. Overtaken [AJ:AA] (Makes you feel like a true badass.)
5. Keep Pressing On [DD] (Shit's about to go down.)
6. Spell-Breaker [PL vs. PW] (Shit's ALREADY going down.)
7. Wanting to Find the Truth [GK2] (You're no match for me and my badass logic! Now watch me as I put you in your place.)
8. Questioned [JFA] (Basically, the situation creates an explosion of madness, becoming more out of control than a mosh pit concert as minds are thoroughly blown throughout the courtroom.)

None of these are bad. In fact, they're all epic, which is why the ones at the top of the list are absolute GOLD. Next to soundtracks from the Legend of Zelda series, Ace Attorney is home to [nearly] the best set of soundtracks in video games.
The execution rests, Your Honor.

I can't really rate the AAI or PLvPWAA themes yet (haven't played them) so I only have 5 rated...

5. Keep Pressing On (DD)
-whining- It's not the saaaaaaame. It feels too quiet, and there's not enough punch.
4. Questioned (JFA)
This song always seemed a bit monotone and non-melodic for my taste, but between 5 and 4, for me, is a huge jump from "-eye roll-" to "aw yeees", so I don't hate this song, but still.
3. Caught (T&T)
I love this song but it doesn't quite pack enough of a punch.
2. Overtaken (AJ)
This song, like everything else in AJ, surprised me with how good it was.
1. Cornered (PWAA).
Classic. Just a classic.

Special mention: This brilliant mashup of Overtaken and Cornered called Double Defense. It is so awesome.

8. Casting Magic (PL vs. AA) (It's not canon to AA and it sounds pretty generic, not awful though.)
7. Keep Pressing On (DD) (I felt the demo version sounded a bit better. It fits the mood, but it does sound a bit boring in some parts, but it's still enjoyable .)
6. Wanting to Find the Truth (AAI2) (Gets you really pumped.)
5. Lying Coldly (AAI) (It helps that AAI has a really great soundtrack and this song is no exception!)
4. Questioned (JFA) (This, along with Hotline of Fate really work extremely well.)
3. Overtaken (AJ) (AJ may be my least favourite in the series, but the soundtrack is really awesome.)
2. Caught (T&T) (Really fits as the final Pursuit theme of the PW trilogy.)
1. Cornered (PW:AA) (The music that got me really hooked to the series in the first place!)
Spoiler:
One of my favourite moments of T&T is in 3-5, when the original Cornered returned! :godot:

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Slightly off topic, while that double defense mashup is slightly painful to listen to due to how cluttered it sounds, it's fascinating how both songs seem to have the exact same timing. If the mashup could somehow be de-cluttered, it would be pretty freaking awesome.

Back on topic...

6: JFA - This one just lacked the "I've got you now" feel that the others had. It's my least favorite in the series.
5: DD - This one was just okay. Nothing special, but not bad either. It was really played too often to be a pursuit theme.

(The ranking is really close for the next three)
4: AJ - This was a great pursuit theme. Really ticks me of that it wasn't used during the final portion of the last case's
3: AA - What can I say? The theme is simply iconic. It's reappearance in T&T was just awesome.
2: T&T - This one had a really intense rhythm. I absolutely loved it. If it weren't for the first one being so iconic, I'd say this one is actually better suited to being the final contradiction theme.

1: PWvsPW - This one was just amazing. The instruments used just gave it this grand, epic feeling. It really gave off the "I've got you now" vibe, and it made me feel awesome every time it played. This one would actually be perfect for the final contradiction in the series if it came to that.

Didn't rank the AAI themes because I don't remember them off the top of my head. I'll update later.

1. Cornered
2. Spell breaker
3. Caught
4. Keep pressing on
5. Lying coldly (this doesn't really feel like a Pursuit theme to me)

Reviving this because I like ranking stuff and I love the Pursuit themes.

1. Overtaken (AJ) - I was really, really torn between this and SoJ's because I absolutely adore them both as songs, but I'm putting this higher on this list because I think it works better in-game as a pursuit theme.
2. Cornering together (SoJ) - One of the greatest tracks in all AA-games.
3. Casting magic (PLvsPW Labyrinthia court)
4. Cornered (PW)
5. Keep pressing on (DD)
6. Caught (T&T)
7. Cornered (PLvsPW English court)
8. Lying coldly (AAI)
9. Questioned (JFA)
10. Wanting to find the truth (AAI2)

Now that I think about it, it was a really missed opportunity to not play Overtaken at the end of 6-5

Anyway, here's mine revised I guess

10. Questioned
9. Cornering Together
8. The Great Turnabout
7. Caught
6. Keep Pressing On
5. Cornered
4. Overtaken
3. Casting Magic
2. Wanting to Find the Truth
1. Lying Coldly

Every Puzzle has an answer.

10. Cornered
9. Casting Magic (Really overrated in my opinion)
8. Lying Coldly
7. Caught
6. Questioned (I actually really like this one)
5. The Great Turnabout
4. Overtaken
3. Keep Pressing On
2. Cornering Together
1. Wanting to find the truth
It's a gentleman's duty to help a lady in need.

Glimmerous Fop

1. Cornered (AA1) - epicness!
2. Overtaken (AJ) - so intense!
3. Cornering together (SoJ) - great melody!
4. Caught (T&T)
5. Keep pressing on (DD)
6. Questioned (JFA)

Except for Questioned, I love all of them, tbh.

Ace Procrastinator

I haven't played the spin off games yet so I'll just rank the main Pursuits.

1. Caught (T&T)
2. Cornered (AA1)
3. Overtaken (AJ)
4. Cornering Together (SoJ)
5. Keep Pressing on (DD)
6. Questioned (JFA)

Happy Maria

1. Casting Magic
2. everything else

Yabba Dabba Doo

1. Time for a Great Turnabout
2. Lying Coldly
3. Cornering Together
4. Casting Magic
5. Overtaken
6. Caught
7. Keep Pressing On
8. Wanting to Find the Truth
9. Cornered
10. Cornered (English Court)
11. Questioned

The Strong Ant-Warrior

1. Questioned
2. Keep Pressing On
3. Cornered (nothing beats the classics :yogi: )
4. Overtaken
5. Wanting to find the truth
6. Caught
7. Lying Coldly

Ace Gamer

1: Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
2: Pursuit ~ Cornered
3: Pursuit ~ Cornered 2004
4: Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
5: Pursuit ~ Questioned
6: Pursuit ~ Keep Pressing On
7: Pursuit ~ Caught
8: Pursuit ~ Overtaken
9: Pursuit ~ The Great Turnabout
10: Pursuit ~ Cornered (English Court Version)
11: Pursuit ~ Casting Magic
12: Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Currently Playing: Case 5-5

Do you want to know where an instrument sample that was used in Ace Attorney music was sampled from? Check out my VGM Instrument Source Table!

1) Lying Coldly(AAI)
2) Cornered (GS1)
3) Keep Pressing On (GS5)
4) The Great Turnabout (DGS)
5) Casting Magic (PLvsAA)
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do

Happy Maria

Guess I better update this list.

1.Casting Magic
2.Lying Coldly
3.Overtaken
4.Cornered 2004
5.Cornered
6.Cornering Together
7.Caught
8.Cornered (English Turnabout)
9.Wanting to Find the Truth
10.The Great Turnabout
11.Keep Pressing On
12.Questioned

Keep in mind I don't really hate any of them. In fact, a good deal of them are pretty much interchangeable to me.
Page 1 of 1 [ 39 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby