Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 4 of 10[ 366 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Re: Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

Evidence is everything in forums.

5-5 is my favorite case yet. In most finales, there are only a few people with a personal stake in the case, while everyone else is there for business as usual. But in 5-5, everyone has something serious on the line. Everyone needs this case to work out their way, and you don't think it can possible end well for everyone...

But it does. Excluding the main culprit, everyone is happy with the way things ended. It also has one the most optimistic mood of all games. No, not everyone's problems have been completely solved, but they're a huge step closer to happiness. They finally let all their barriers down and said "hold it, who are we really fighting here? And why?" It leaves me with so much hope everytime I complete it. It's also one of the shorter finales, meaning I can replay it more often.

1-4 was a great starter finale, but it's overrated. It has memorable moments, but the investigation segments bored me, and Manfred Von Karma was a lunatic who did everything he could to ensure his own downfall ("I'm about to get away with murder! Let me instigate another one in an easily provable way and bring it up while trying to convict my foster son for ridiculous reasons!") I can't tell if he's a genius, for getting away with it, or an idiot for bringing all his problems unto himself.

Still not a Godot fan. I thought he was sexist, none of the reasons for his actions made sense, he was lazy and ineffectual as a prosecutor, his coffee talk got on my nerves, and his plan to redeem himself in the name of his love involved... killing her mother (who looked like her cousin), framing a different cousin, abusing his power to spy on her aunt, and not helping her freezing sister when they get trapped on a mountain.

AJ had amazing ideas that didn't go far enough. It's my favorite game of the franchise. I loved how no one was really a hero in that game: they were either ruthlessly working towards their own agenda or serving as an unwitting pawn to someone's agenda. It was really cynical, and very critical of previous games. It invokes the question of, to quote AAI2: "Don't you mean the truth that's most convenient for you?"

Phoenix embarks on a quest to reveal the truth about his status as a forger... by manipulating the crime scene, refusing to tell the truth on the stand, and yes, forging evidence. Bar murder, he does every detestable thing the actual villain of the game did... and then some. He selfishly abuses his own legal experiment and the people around him to stack the odds against the man who ruined his life. The MASON system makes it seem like he knew about and even banked on the Misham's being targeted to carry out his plans. Let me say that again: he used the murder of a third party to bring another person down to size. Then, he manipulated the perception of the scene, found people he could wield power over, and used them to convict the man he chose. Who does that remind you of?

This might help: "You despise criminals. I can feel it. You and me... we're the same. One day you'll understand. If you want to take them on alone... you'll figure out what's needed!"

Doesn't that sound like a prophecy, fulfilled? Phoenix does exactly what Gant predicted in 1-5. And that's not the only villain I can compare him to. Think of his relation towards the two victims, the way their deaths came at exactly the right time for his plan to be set in motion, something he couldn't have possibly predicted... right? It's just a fan theory, but I always found the thought of Phoenix as a second Mastermind to be thoroughly compelling.

There's so many implications of AJ that DD just ignored. It was such a dark, yet introspective game. It made you question everything the series stood for, and threw almost every "rule" out the window. It was bold, but it stopped just short of being a reverse AA1, where Apollo takes the role of Miles Edgeworth and realizes he's been aiding corruption all along. And when it stopped, and tried to pull back, that's when it lost its allure.
I am writing AAI3 this summer, with the community's help. Anyone who wishes to submit ideas/become a member of the project can do so here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VV_80EEXnlI_lThRrDV0allRDHzeyHRRA49AJH7eR48/edit?usp=docslist_api

Last edited by Silver-Dono on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

Silver-Dono wrote:
This might help: "You despise criminals. I can feel it. You and me... we're the same. One day you'll understand. If you want to take them on alone... you'll figure out what's needed!"

Hm! I hadn't realized this (probably unintentional) foreshadowing. That's a really nice find!

Gardevoir lover

Nurio wrote:
Silver-Dono wrote:

Hm! I hadn't realized this (probably unintentional) foreshadowing. That's a really nice find!

Considering 1-5 was probably made as a demonstration to AJAA i think it probably was intentional.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Enoshima Junko-chan!

The Gant thing I never thought of with Phoenix. He was talking to Edgeworth at the time, so my attention went to how he was going to deal with the situations Gant spoke of in the future. But Phoenix is the one that ended up there.

As for Von Karma, his motives don't make sense to normal people, but for his character, they certainly do. As a man obsessed with perfection, he sought revenge against the man who ruined his record, both by killing him and punishing his son. Yeah, it's very petty, but it's something he'd do.

And I have to agree on AJ. It was setting up to such a nice climax, but it fell flat. And Apollo barely makes decisions on his own. He's just a pawn in Phoenix's game.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Quote:
And I have to agree on AJ. It was setting up to such a nice climax, but it fell flat. And Apollo barely makes decisions on his own. He's just a pawn in Phoenix's game.

Yesyesyes. I adore AJ, but it makes me a bit sad thinking about how much more it could have been.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:

Yesyesyes. I adore AJ, but it makes me a bit sad thinking about how much more it could have been.

Me. It may be my favorite in the series, but that doesn't mean it had no flaws. All games do.

Let's see what other opinions I have... I think 1-2 was boring and overrated. I don't hate it, but it was nothing special for me. The villain fell flat, and seeing Mia act so awesome in T&T makes me wish she hadn't died so soon. There's a reason she's my profile pic.

I want an AAI3. So badly, I'm honestly willing to write it myself. But I'd rather Capcom did it. Is it too unlikely, five years after AAI2? Plus there's the matter of localization. I don't speak any Japanese. Even if they released another AAI, what are my chances of seeing it?

Ooh, here's a big one: I hold Takumi and Yamakazi in equal regard. I didn't even know there were two of them until someone told me a few months ago. They both write games I love, and I really don't understand why some people make a big deal out of it.
I am writing AAI3 this summer, with the community's help. Anyone who wishes to submit ideas/become a member of the project can do so here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VV_80EEXnlI_lThRrDV0allRDHzeyHRRA49AJH7eR48/edit?usp=docslist_api

The cape is self-fluttering

Silver-Dono wrote:
I want an AAI3. So badly, I'm honestly willing to write it myself. But I'd rather Capcom did it. Is it too unlikely, five years after AAI2? Plus there's the matter of localization. I don't speak any Japanese. Even if they released another AAI, what are my chances of seeing it?

Despite the issues I have with AAI and AAI2, I, too, would love to see an AAI3 (especially if it takes place sometime during Phoenix's disbarment). Unfortunately, at this point, I suspect it won't be happening.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gardevoir lover

Silver-Dono wrote:

I'd actually like to see an Investigations game that leads up to Edgeworth becoming chief prosecutor, i think i'd be nice to see.

Quote:
Ooh, here's a big one: I hold Takumi and Yamakazi in equal regard. I didn't even know there were two of them until someone told me a few months ago. They both write games I love, and I really don't understand why some people make a big deal out of it.

The major difference between the two is that Takumi likes writing mysteries while Yamazaki wants to write Epic stories about political conspiracies, it's just that he's not very good at writing because you can see pretty much every plot twist coming a mile away and sometimes the epicness feels kind of forced, like the friendship speech t the end of DD.

I'm sure if the two of them combined forces for a whole game it would come out pretty good, we'd have Takumi's intriguing mysteries while having the gran epic image Yamazaki ants to give the franchise.

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Silver-Dono wrote:

I'd actually like to see an Investigations game that leads up to Edgeworth becoming chief prosecutor, i think i'd be nice to see.

Quote:

The major difference between the two is that Takumi likes writing mysteries while Yamazaki wants to write Epic stories about political conspiracies, it's just that he's not very good at writing because you can see pretty much every plot twist coming a mile away and sometimes the epicness feels kind of forced, like the friendship speech t the end of DD.

I'm sure if the two of them combined forces for a whole game it would come out pretty good, we'd have Takumi's intriguing mysteries while having the gran epic image Yamazaki ants to give the franchise.

Wow. You saw the final culprit of AAI2 coming? The identity of the Amazing Nine Tails? The true courtroom bomber? The Phantom? From a mile away? That's amazing! You must read all sorts of mystery stories in your spare time

As for me, I found the earlier games easier to guess. It's not like they start trying to make you guess until 1-4, and even then, characters like
Spoiler:
Manfred Von Karma, Gant, Wellington, Dahlia, Atmey, Tigre, Tiala, and Darklaw

are pretty obviously going to be villains. They were still enjoyable cases, but I found the overall mystery less difficult to solve on those games. Maybe it's a personal thing?

Gardevoir lover

Silver-Dono wrote:
Wow. You saw the final culprit of AAI2 coming? The identity of the Amazing Nine Tails? The true courtroom bomber? The Phantom? From a mile away? That's amazing! You must read all sorts of mystery stories in your spare time

1: No, that was probably the only one who was masterfully written

2:Yeah

3:No because it was never brought up before.

4:No because there was pretty much no foreshadowing for it.

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Silver-Dono wrote:

1: No, that was probably the only one who was masterfully written

2:Yeah

3:No because it was never brought up before.

Well, you did say pretty much every twist. "Pretty much every" usually means all, with the possible exception of one (or, in some cases, two). Those are just a few twists that came out off the top of my head, and it looks like this isn't holding up.

Not that it matters that much. Like I said before, I enjoy AA even when the mysteries are easy. Some are really funny (like Turnabout Reclaimed, or the Fire Witch), some do really creative stuff (Turnabout Trump, or The Inherited Turnabout), and I like maybe 80% of the cast, so most of them have good characters.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
I thought this was the unpopular opinion thread. AA1 is easily one of the best games in the series and a great deal of people find it as their favorite. I suppose many others find T&T a bit better, but rarely do I ever hear someone say "JFA is the best game!"

On that thought, I might as well share that while 2-4 certainly saved JFA, I feel it's pretty overrated. It's no doubt an excellent case and has many great moments, but it's nowhere close to my favorite case in the whole series. (That one still goes to 1-4.)

Oh, yeah. I also find RftA overrated. It's not really that great of a case; kinda messy like the final cases of GK2, at that. Complicated cases are interesting for sure, but in hindsight, they're also bothers to replay.

Also, am I the only one who immediately felt turned off when starting 1-5, playing the series chronologically? You could tell it wasn't meant to be part of the game because of the high-res art but even the writing style feels slightly different in it, and the characters are much more over-the-top and surreal than in the main game to the point where I thought it felt stupider (at first at least).

After playing T&T and onwards I better understood it looking back, but coming right off 1-4 it felt like the series hadn't evolved to the point where 1-5 is and therefore the transition was completely abrupt. Otherwise I agree on the length of the case. I honestly found it to be on the same level as 5-5. It's decent but not really that good to be honest. It's the individual moments like intruding Gant's office and seeing that friggin organ that screams "Welcome to Gan(t)on's tower!" or Jake Marshall saying "I only got one word for you pardner... NOOOOOO!" or analysing video-footage that stood out to me moreso than the plot itself or the case itself which had a very lacking lasting appeal.

I always feel kind of empty when I finish 1-5. I can't put my finger on what it is, but isn't something missing?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!

Silver-Dono wrote:

I'd love to see AAI3 happen. Considering DD came 6 years after AJ, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. As for the localization thing, I'm a bit of an optimist. AAI2 didn't get localized due primarily to bad timing: the team working on the game was disbanded soon after its release, in addition to the 3DS coming out the same year, making a translation of a DS game less feasible. That said, they haven't closed the door on a future localization. If Capcom does make AAI3 and they do choose to localize it (I don't see why they wouldn't), then they would HAVE to localize AAI2, probably as part of a compilation re-release with AAI1 in the same way as the Phoenix Wright trilogy.
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.

hi

I really liked JFA, especially case 2 because it was really interesting to find the real killer and their motive. We got to know more about the Fey family, which I really liked.

Mia Payne

Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Jinxie calls fulbright a ghost, thats forshadowing, therefore you MUST have seen it coming

Turnabout Dave wrote:
Silver-Dono wrote:

I'd love to see AAI3 happen. Considering DD came 6 years after AJ, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. As for the localization thing, I'm a bit of an optimist. AAI2 didn't get localized due primarily to bad timing: the team working on the game was disbanded soon after its release, in addition to the 3DS coming out the same year, making a translation of a DS game less feasible. That said, they haven't closed the door on a future localization. If Capcom does make AAI3 and they do choose to localize it (I don't see why they wouldn't), then they would HAVE to localize AAI2, probably as part of a compilation re-release with AAI1 in the same way as the Phoenix Wright trilogy.

I wish I was as optimistic as you. I'm really not confident in Capcom releasing another AAI. Or, if they do, it's not gonna be what I want to see. It's probably take place after DD and SoJ, and be more focused around Ema, Klavier, or even Franziska. There's gotta be something they're saving her for.

At this point, I'd rather just do it as a fan project. I don't know how popular it would be, but if enough people knew...

Quote:

See here's the catch. Some people, like me, don't really "love" the Yamazaki games. I find they're all okay (except AAI which had too few redeeming qualities) and both AAI2 and DD have great moments, but I just didn't enjoy them nearly as much as the trilogy and mostly AJAA. There is a difference to their writing in more ways than one, one that not many notice or even care for, but for me I do. Why? Because I didn't like AAI at all after finishing it and even AJAA managed to grab me despite how I initially didn't enjoy it, drawing attention to the writing itself and less fondness for whoever wrote AAI. And other smaller things that just bug me. I feel like it's easier to see through Yamazaki and Co's writing most of the time. There's so many flubs and forced dialogue and the way the mysteries are told is more narrow-minded and fixated on itself.

Inb4 Blizdi predicts I would write all of this.

Seriously, AAI feels so low-effort and dull in comparison to everything else in the series, not to mention I hate the emphasis on nationality and politics as if you're supposed to care about that... in Ace Attorney! *groan*

linkenski wrote:
Quote:

See here's the catch. Some people, like me, don't really "love" the Yamazaki games. I find they're all okay (except AAI which had too few redeeming qualities) and both AAI2 and DD have great moments, but I just didn't enjoy them nearly as much as the trilogy and mostly AJAA. There is a difference to their writing in more ways than one, one that not many notice or even care for, but for me I do. Why? Because I didn't like AAI at all after finishing it and even AJAA managed to grab me despite how I initially didn't enjoy it, drawing attention to the writing itself and less fondness for whoever wrote AAI. And other smaller things that just bug me. I feel like it's easier to see through Yamazaki and Co's writing most of the time. There's so many flubs and forced dialogue and the way the mysteries are told is more narrow-minded and fixated on itself.

Inb4 Blizdi predicts I would write all of this.

Seriously, AAI feels so low-effort and dull in comparison to everything else in the series, not to mention I hate the emphasis on nationality and politics as if you're supposed to care about that... in Ace Attorney! *groan*

I liked a lot of AAI... just not the actual murders. I feel like they had a completely different vision for the game, and then someone walked up to them and said "hey... isn't this supposed to be a murder mystery?" And then they had to pull it back and redesign their plot, which made parts lag. I still liked a lot of it, though. I'll admit, enjoying political dramas helps.

It was also their first time using the Investigations format, which was a bit awkward in spots, but it paid off in the sequel, so I'm not too mad. I forgive AAI for it's simplicity as much as I forgive AA1 for the same thing. Because honestly, both take until the fourth case to whip up something interesting (though I have a weird liking for Turnabout Visitor. Not sure why), and the fifth case is full of cool ideas executed questionably. And both are ridiculously long in places I wish they weren't.

And you mention the trilogy and AJ... but what about PLvPW? DGS? Those are both Takumi games I would rank below DD and AAI2. (I rank JFA below them as well, but I digress.)

The former may partially be because I'm not a Layton fan (and the game is entirely too Layton heavy. Put it this way: I lost the finale on purpose just so the only character I liked in that game (Darklaw) could win. It was months before I agreed to legitimately finish), but I'm in the middle of DGS-5, and... I wouldn't say all the cases are bad, but none of them are good. Does that make sense? I won't go into spoilers, but I'm really disappointed in a lot of what I've seen. It's in a three way tie with AAI and JFA for my least favorite AA game.

I don't like that Edgeworth didn't seem to have actually forged evidence ever.

I also hate that they had him against Mia in T&T. Having him pretty much lose against her was grating. Since he pretty much knew that he lost, losing against Phoenix shouldn't have had such a big impact on him. (Since he knows deep in his heart that he was never undefeated.)

Gumshoe having his pay cut in every case is sad not funny.

Gumshoe getting more incompetent in every game also kind of annoyed me. He definitely hit a low in AAI. "What's logic?"

The biggest flaw in DD is no Gumshoe cameo.
Signature by Purple Angel.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

The instant noodles and salary assessment jokes stopped being funny after the first case it was brought up (2-4?)

MBr wrote:
The instant noodles and salary assessment jokes stopped being funny after the first case it was brought up (2-4?)

I was about to say. I didn't think that was an unpopular opinion. Gumshoe deserves better (and at least AAI2 addressed that).
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

I'm just gonna go out in a limb and say there is nk way DGS can rank below AAI for me. That game entirely lacked any depth or introspection. It was just an incredibly flat murder mystery with a turgid conspiracy plot to make it seem superficially interesting. It's a 3/10 for me, it's that bad. It pales in comparisom to the emotionally driven original game that, by the way, did get very interesting from 1-2 already, because the characrers are exceptionally well set up just in terms of how quickly I grew to like them and how funny the script is with Gumshoe or Nick meeting April May in the Hotel etc.

Still, Turnabout Visitor is strangely likeable. Again, I like simplicity and I think it's that. I love the simple setting of having a murder in an office, Edgeworth's office no less, and it just felt brisk and right to the point. The mystery solving in it was also classy, like bloody letters rearranged on a bookshelf, a safe hidden behind a painting on the wall, stuff like that. To me the aeries doesn't need to strive to be more than that. There is a million permutations to be made with classic mystery props and the characters and the drama does the rest, not to mention the funny writing.

If I were to guess, people don't like DGS because it doesnt have a plot that comes full circle in the end and it's "meandering" which I imagine you could call depicting a historic setting with a series of episodes that highlight different sides of such an era. I can imagine I might not be completely in love with it, but it is going to be lovely to see it, even if it doesn't go anywhere interesting in the end. It'll still be funnier and more charming than anything in AAI just as with PLvPWAA which is a game I love both as a Phoenix Wright fan and a Layton fan.

linkenski wrote:
I'm just gonna go out in a limb and say there is nk way DGS can rank below AAI for me. That game entirely lacked any depth or introspection. It was just an incredibly flat murder mystery with a turgid conspiracy plot to make it seem superficially interesting. It's a 3/10 for me, it's that bad. It pales in comparisom to the emotionally driven original game that, by the way, did get very interesting from 1-2 already, because the characrers are exceptionally well set up just in terms of how quickly I grew to like them and how funny the script is with Gumshoe or Nick meeting April May in the Hotel etc.

Still, Turnabout Visitor is strangely likeable. Again, I like simplicity and I think it's that. I love the simple setting of having a murder in an office, Edgeworth's office no less, and it just felt brisk and right to the point. The mystery solving in it was also classy, like bloody letters rearranged on a bookshelf, a safe hidden behind a painting on the wall, stuff like that. To me the aeries doesn't need to strive to be more than that. There is a million permutations to be made with classic mystery props and the characters and the drama does the rest, not to mention the funny writing.

If I were to guess, people don't like DGS because it doesnt have a plot that comes full circle in the end and it's "meandering" which I imagine you could call depicting a historic setting with a series of episodes that highlight different sides of such an era. I can imagine I might not be completely in love with it, but it is going to be lovely to see it, even if it doesn't go anywhere interesting in the end. It'll still be funnier and more charming than anything in AAI just as with PLvPWAA which is a game I love both as a Phoenix Wright fan and a Layton fan.

I meant interesting in terms of the mystery mostly, but the characters too. The AAI cases had funny lines too, but it took until the fourth case for me to give a crap about any new faces. The first game did the same to me. The only character I liked instantly was Mia, and we all know what the series did with her.

And no. That's nowhere close to why I'm not a DGS fan. I'll put this in spoilers, since I go into detail:
Spoiler:
It's anemic. Four cases, and we get... three days in court and two investigations. That's not four cases. That's two. One, if it were a finale.

The first case is okay. It's a simple tutorial case, with some interesting bits about time period. Basically, Naruhodou was accused of killing a professor. His friend, Asougi, was going to defend him, but if Asougi lost, he would lose his chance to study in England. Much like 4-1, it features a victim whose importance is revealed in the finale, and the killer's motive is not revealed. Bit of a strong parallel, but I was willing to play along.

Second case... is an accident. I can't decide whether to applaud how they did it, or scream. Takumi built an entire murder mystery over a guy (built up to be an important mentor figure (familiar yet?)) tripping and hitting his head fatally. Seriously. That's all it was. And yet, a character feels the need to pin the blame on our protagonist. Because this game hasn't done that yet... oh wait they already did. I think the whole "it was all an accident" idea was cool, but trying to spin this case like a murder was ridiculously contrived. Most characters acted suspicious for no reason at all, ajd considering how important this Asougi guy was built up to be? It felt like a cop out.

Also, the second case was played like an AAI case: no court.

Then there's the third case... I kinda like this one, actually. Sure, we never learn basic information such as who killed the victim, was our defendant innocent, how was the crime committed (at least, until the finale)... but the witnesses were kinda cool. The defendant was basically a Redd White character done right (which made me happy), and we get Gina. I like her. The ideas used in the actual courtroom are pretty cool too. Closing Argument and the Jurist System all look really good.

Seriously, this case is going great. And then they had the idea of interrupting the middle of the case with a threat of a large fire to take key evidence away. Oh, and they killed the only character who knew the whole story that very day inside the courtroom. Because we've never seen that happen in an AA game. The first event makes the defendant impossible to prosecute (giving him an acquittal), and the second kills him. No need to keep the interesting characters around, I guess.

Oh, and this is the first case to feature Iris Watson. You know, the girl marketed alongside Susato, Naruhodou, and Sherlock as a protagonist? She has a single, minor appearance in this case, another minor appearance in the next case, and an actual role in the finale. This finale better be good, seeing as the only case I like right now relies on it to tell a complete story.

Fourth case just killed me. Take everything people hated about 4-2 and 4-3... and write it again, why don't you. Annoying defendant, crazy strings of coincidences, people getting arrested for impossible reasons, the whole nine yards.

I'm okay with repeating ideas from other games. I really am. But repeating ideas from earlier in the same game? ...why?!

It's another accident. This one is caused by a domestic fight in which a knife flies out the window and lands in a lady's back. Seriously. This woman was sent to the hospital because she bent over while underneath a window. And this was spun to look like an assault case because... Englishmen be racist? A Japanese exchange student (who isn't Naruhodou. He doesn't need to defend himself a third time, thank goodness) saw the scene and was witnessed running away by a couple. No one saw him hold the weapon, there's no proof he touched it, he has no motive, he didn't know the victim, there's no way he could have done it. But he's the only one they saw at the scene, so clearly he's the culprit. I wish I could say this was at least a funny case, or... the song was pretty. But I can't.

Finale... I'm not in court yet (following an English sub on YouTube. I experience more when they update), but so far it's pretty good. Takes a long time to set up, they spend a lot of time answering a few questions about the third case (not all of them, but a lot), but I think it'll be interesting. Unfortunately, I've heard the case also can't stand for itself, as it leaves major pieces unresolved. Just like the third case.

In summary, this game's story is either ridiculously contrived or ridiculously incomplete. The gameplay itself is good, I especially love the new gimmicks, but the story is AA average at best.

To give a spoiler free overview (since I know some people are waiting for a translation still), they left major pieces out of the puzzle whenever things got interesting, repeated all their tricks from either other AA games or earlier within the game, and wrote plot points up only to let the player down early. Even the overarching theme does nothing to distinguish DGS from the other titles.

This sounds worse than it is, because the game wasn't all bad. The gimmicks were good, the major characters were AA standard (which means very good), and the graphics and music are to love. I would love this game, if the storyline was actually given effort. But it wasn't.

Objection!

Personally...
I really enjoyed Apollo Justice (especially the last case...was not expecting that!).
I think Athena Cykes is an alright character, but I don't really enjoy playing as her (I like Apollo and Phoenix way better)
I don't really like Juniper and Apollo as a couple.
I don't like Kristoph Gavin more than Kalvier... everyone seems to be such a fan of him and I never really understood his charm.
I don't really like Courtney Justine from AAI 2. She seems like a really bland character.
I don't like the fact that Larry Butz isn't in more cases...come on! He's truly comedy gold in the series.
I don't really like Lotta Hart and Wendy Oldbag that much...at first they were interesting but soon they became repetitive and annoying...
Despite everyone's apparent love for Iris Hawthorne...I never really got it. She is an alright character to me at best.
The Judge deserves more recognition...he's got some of the best lines in the games!
Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that! That's MY endearing character trait!- Dick Gumshoe

I am the swordsman of justice!

sosgirl10 wrote:
Personally...
I really enjoyed Apollo Justice (especially the last case...was not expecting that!).
I think Athena Cykes is an alright character, but I don't really enjoy playing as her (I like Apollo and Phoenix way better)
I don't really like Juniper and Apollo as a couple.
I don't like Kristoph Gavin more than Kalvier... everyone seems to be such a fan of him and I never really understood his charm.
I don't really like Courtney Justine from AAI 2. She seems like a really bland character.
I don't like the fact that Larry Butz isn't in more cases...come on! He's truly comedy gold in the series.
I don't really like Lotta Hart and Wendy Oldbag that much...at first they were interesting but soon they became repetitive and annoying...
Despite everyone's apparent love for Iris Hawthorne...I never really got it. She is an alright character to me at best.
The Judge deserves more recognition...he's got some of the best lines in the games!

That last one, so true :udgey:
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

I was really disappointed with the end of Dual Destinies...
Spoiler:
I don't know why the phantom reveal was such a letdown.

I guess I just expected the culprit to be someone that we actually knew.

estherv93 wrote:
I was really disappointed with the end of Dual Destinies...
Spoiler:
I don't know why the phantom reveal was such a letdown.

I guess I just expected the culprit to be someone that we actually knew.

Spoiler:
Not sure that's unpopular as an opinion, honestly. The phantom was a lame choice for a final villain because we didn't know enough about him to be invested in him as a character. So when the final breakdowns happened, it was just an insane mess with the lack of identity and him crying and whining about being permanently silenced.

...NAILED IT

I don't like Blackquill at all. I just don't like his character and his design.

Ace Procrastinator

I actually like Larry as a character :will:

Butz the Klutz 52 wrote:
I actually like Larry as a character :will:

Larry is great! :D

Case 1-4 wasn't my cup of tea

Ace Procrastinator

I hate Justice for All with a passion. I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not.

OH BOY, 3AM!

Butz the Klutz 52 wrote:
I hate Justice for All with a passion. I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not.

That's not really unpopular. From what I've seen, most people think JfA is one of the worst AA games (although I love it).
"The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he could submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard" -Solomon Odonkoh

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I thought popular opinion was that AJ was the worst. There's never a place in an AA fandom where I don't hear about complaints of that game.

But I personally find AAI the worst overall. I liked the main cast, but not so much the case-exclusives. (Not to say I hate it or anything; I don't ever "hate" games I've played.)

I think I posted it before, but well, no harm in sharing again. I also think AAI2 is overrated. It's got a good cast and the mysteries are pretty well wrapped up; but maybe the Investigations games just aren't my cup of tea, pardon the pun.

Finally, not sure if unpopular opinion, but Ghost Trick is by far the best work Takumi has offered.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

AAI didn't leave that much of an impression on me. It's a good game, I think, just not by AA standards...

And I'm inclined to agree with you there. I'm really nerdy and obsessed when it comes to Takumi's AA games, but Ghost trick... wow. It's something else. It really is well put together and a joy to play. The looks, the story, the pace, the game segments... everything.

AJAA is definitely the most divisive, whereas AAI is the ultimate "so bland it was neither evocative nor offensively bad". The only bad thing is case 5 and its TERRIBLE pacing and how stupidly convoluted the crime is.

AAI2 has too many pacing issues and bland characterization to make its excellent and pretty overstuffed plot save it from being kinda mediocre for an AA game I think. But I understand why it is so revered. In any fanbase "deep lore" and "canon" is the thing everyone latches onto because they take everything so seriously.

DD was much more geared to the proper tone the series is known for. I thought it had more class, except whenever the GK-ness creeped in via over explained and fixated dialogue about the crime and villains that were written like they don't even matter to the mystery.

I simply don't understand how there is so much disagreement as to whether Yamazaki is worse than Takumi or not. To me he so clearly is because the only way his stories stimulate me as a reader is sheer novelty and shock-value but consistently worse in terms of emotions, characters and moment to moment entertainment. They're always enjoyable to unravel, but once everything is laid on the table they just seem kind of meh, and they're littered with tryhard moments that don't hit where hit hurts when they so obviously are trying to.

linkenski wrote:
AJAA is definitely the most divisive, whereas AAI is the ultimate "so bland it was neither evocative nor offensively bad". The only bad thing is case 5 and its TERRIBLE pacing and how stupidly convoluted the crime is.

AAI2 has too many pacing issues and bland characterization to make its excellent

and they're littered with tryhard moments that don't hit where hit hurts when they so obviously are trying to.

Word. Oh and linkenski, has that always been Apollo in your picture? I could've sworn it was Phoenix before I looked close at it now, so I've might have been imagining things all this time.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

JFA's still part of the trilogy, so I don't think it will come close to being ranked on the level of AJ or AAI. It's sort of like the Toy Story 2 of Ace Attorney.

Someone actually made the same post about Ghost Trick a while back that you did, Rubia. From the little I've seen on what AA fans think of Ghost Trick, they consider it to be Takumi's best work. It's my personal favourite video game as well, because it has all of the strengths of an AA game but with better gameplay.

The miracle never happen

Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion since I can't think of many people who have actually talked about this before, but I really don't like Ron DeLite, he's such a boring and bland character, but with the fact that he's got a fan club on this website (that doesn't actually say much, I'm sure even Deid Mann has a fan club) and a lot of people who seemingly really like him, I thought I'd throw it out there, mostly so I can see if people agree or disagree (like my opinion matters anyway :acro: )
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
I thought popular opinion was that AJ was the worst.

Apollo Justice is actually pretty polarizing. Some people think it's great, some people think it sucks. The game that most fans consistently say is the weakest (but not bad) game in the series is Justice for All.
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.
Page 4 of 10 [ 366 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby