Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 2[ 44 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ever pronounce AA words wrong?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

So since AA is a text-heavy game and it doesn't include a lot of voice work (at least before DD), so I remember some confusion my first time playing the games back in middle school as to how to pronounce certain words.

Examples include:

Kurain (used to pronounce it like "cure aim" but with an n instead of an m. Now I pronounce it properly)

Gramarye (used to pronounce it like "gram a rye" (like rye bread), only just recently found out it's pronounced the same as Grimoire)

Godot (used to pronounce it like "guh dough" as one quick word, but apparently it's more like "Ga Dough" with a little more of a space between the two syllables.

Anyone else have any situations like this?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Ever pronounce AA words wrong?Topic%20Title

[Whip the cream!]

Perhaps not per se since I do it "on purpose" so to speak, but I pronounce some of the names in a Swedish or Swedish-sounding manner (when talking to a fellow Swede, that is). Ah-drian (with a rolling 'r') for example, while I leave other names as they are (like, I don't call Richard "Rickard"). ...and Gant always becomes Gánt.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The Enigma

The vigilante dude from PLvsAA. Dzibilchaltunchunchucmil (yeah, I had to copy-paste his name XD)
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Godot, I pronounced as is. With the T. Now I know better.

Metis. Is it "Meh-tis" - that is, short e (without the h sound!), or "Mee-tis" (long e)? I tend to lean more towards the short e pronunciation.

Beware of the Dog

I used to pronounce the "rain" in "Kurain" like... Well, like rain, but now I try to pronounce it as Japanese as possible. There have to be much more words, but it doesn't change that much because I seldom talk about AA. And I can't imagine Godot without that t, sorry. :eh?:

Ok, here's one I still don't know. How am I supposed to pronounce Lamiroir?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Chronically Unstable

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Ok, here's one I still don't know. How am I supposed to pronounce Lamiroir?

The "Lami-" part of the name is self-explanatory, with the stress on the first syllable.
The "-roir" part is pronounced like the word "trois", which is 3 in French. Remove the "t", and read the rest like this: r-oo(like in the word "look")-ah. The stress is on the second syllable (and is the most pronounced one in the word).

In conclusion, it's: Lah-mi-roo-ah (the stress on the fourth syllable is more pronounced).

Wow. Can't believe I went that much in-depth. Hope this helps!

ASCEND

Judging by the other posts in this thread, I pronounce Kurain, Grammarye, Godot, and Lamirior wrong, and probably a bunch of other's too. Hooray for me!
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Chronically Unstable

About Godot...

As many of you know, the name Godot originally comes from Samuel Beckett's play "Waiting for Godot", which was originally written in French, so the pronunciation would be applied accordingly. In short, I believe the correct way to pronounce Godot is this: Go(the "o" is like in the word "long" with British pronunciation)-do(same deal with the "o"). The "t" is silent. The stress is on the second syllable.

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Kurain (used to pronounce it like "cure aim" but with an n instead of an m. Now I pronounce it properly)

Well, if we were to pronounce it the original way, it'd be this: Ku(like the "u" in "lure", pronounced really quickly, almost silent)-rah(like the "a" in "aisle")-een(like in "teen"). Come to think of it, it sounds almost exactly like the Japanese "Take that!", which is "Kurae!". Just replace the "e" with the "in", and you're set!

Quote:
Gramarye (used to pronounce it like "gram a rye" (like rye bread), only just recently found out it's pronounced the same as Grimoire)

Um, I'm pretty sure you were pronouncing the word correctly before.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as obsessive and nitpicky. Just wanted to share little bits here and there. If I'm incorrect in any way, feel free to point out any inconsistencies in my testimony.

A Kirby and AA fan

I never knew that Kurain and Gramarye had such pronunciations up until now.
Though I know in general how Japanese pronunciation works (so I also knew how to pronounce Kurain "the Japanese way"), I thought it was supposed to be pronounced the English way as part of localization.

And I can't for the life of me figure out how Gramarye is pronounced the same way as Grimoire.
...Also a bit curious you know how to pronounce Grimoire but not Lamiroir.

迷探偵

D.A. McCoy wrote:

Both are wrong though (unless you pronounce grimoire oddly). In IPA, gramarye is written as ɡɹæməɹi, so 'rye' here is pronounced something like 'rea(d)' (the 'y' in very)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronically Unstable

Ash wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

Both are wrong though (unless you pronounce grimoire oddly). In IPA, gramarye is written as ɡɹæməɹi, so 'rye' here is pronounced something like 'rea' (the 'y' in very)

So essentially it's something like Gram-Maria? Interesting.

迷探偵

Ah, no, I meant 'rea' as in 'read' (present tense) (the y in very).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Chronically Unstable

Ah, now it makes sense. Thanks!

A Kirby and AA fan

Yeah, I always pronounced it as Grammar-E. Or something close to that, anyway.

Mia Payne

Gramarye and Lamiroir. I'm still unsure about them... Some of the names man.

Danksgiving

wait, youre not supposed to pronounce godot with the T?

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Godot: I usually pronounce it as "go-doe", with both syllables rhyming with the word "go". Sometimes I slip up and read it as "go-dot", pronouncing the "t"
I think the game clues you into how to pronounce his name. In his first appearance, the judge calls Godot "Gobo," presumably with both syllables rhyming. Godot then corrects him on this.

Is Kurain really pronounced as "koo-rah-een"? I always said it as "koo-rain"

Metis is properly pronounced as "mee-tis", but like with Godot I end up pronouncing it the way I did the first time around, as "meh-tis"

Gramarye: At first I pronounced it as "gram-air-yee", but I heard it pronounced as "gram-air", and now in this thread, I see the pronunciation of "gram-air-ree". Though you could also pronounce it as "gram-are", I suppose.

Lamiroir: "La-meer-waar" (the last syllable rhymes with noir, bon soir, au revoir, etc.)

Mia Payne

MBr wrote:
Godot: I usually pronounce it as "go-doe", with both syllables rhyming with the word "go". Sometimes I slip up and read it as "go-dot", pronouncing the "t"
I think the game clues you into how to pronounce his name. In his first appearance, the judge calls Godot "Gobo," presumably with both syllables rhyming. Godot then corrects him on this.

Is Kurain really pronounced as "koo-rah-een"? I always said it as "koo-rain"

Metis is properly pronounced as "mee-tis", but like with Godot I end up pronouncing it the way I did the first time around, as "meh-tis"

Gramarye: At first I pronounced it as "gram-air-yee", but I heard it pronounced as "gram-air", and now in this thread, I see the pronunciation of "gram-air-ree". Though you could also pronounce it as "gram-are", I suppose.

I thought it was Lam-wahr

Lamiroir: "La-meer-waar" (the last syllable rhymes with noir, bon soir, au revoir, etc.)

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think "Lam-wahr" is an acceptable pronunciation as well.

On Kurain, if you examine either the folding screen or one of the scrolls with writing in 2-2 or 3-2, Phoenix will read the Japanese. He reads it like so: "Ku... ra... in." I guess this indicates that Kurain is three syllables.

ASCEND

I still pronounce the T in Godot because "Godo" just sounds silly.

As for Grammarye, I've always pronounced it "gram-are-yee" which is probably incorrect.
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Nurio wrote:
And I can't for the life of me figure out how Gramarye is pronounced the same way as Grimoire.

SPInc wrote:
Um, I'm pretty sure you were pronouncing the word correctly before.

Ash wrote:
Both are wrong though (unless you pronounce grimoire oddly). In IPA, gramarye is written as ɡɹæməɹi, so 'rye' here is pronounced something like 'rea(d)' (the 'y' in very)

You are all indeed correct, which is great because I couldn't stand trying to keep from pronouncing it my old way in my head and trying to say Grimoire instead. My confusion stemmed from looking it up on wikipedia one night at like 3 AM and seeing that it automatically redirected me to the page for Grimoire. Somehow I didn't think to look it up on wiktionary, which would have helped more, so I just took how Phoenix pronounced Grimoire and applied it.

However, when replaying AJ 4-3 a couple days ago, I noticed that when Valant tells Apollo about Troupe Gramarye Apollo replies back "Grammarie?" which flat out stated how to pronounce it. So in this case I'm glad to be wrong as that was very close to my original pronunciation (the Rye part is gone but I can live with that).

Nurio wrote:
I never knew that Kurain and Gramarye had such pronunciations up until now.
Though I know in general how Japanese pronunciation works (so I also knew how to pronounce Kurain "the Japanese way"), I thought it was supposed to be pronounced the English way as part of localization.

...Also a bit curious you know how to pronounce Grimoire but not Lamiroir.
[/quote]

I sometimes think Phoenix will instinctually pronounce it like I originally did, but like another post mentioned Phoenix reads it off the screen so he knows how it is "supposed" to pronounce it. Also I figure Maya and Pearl and the other Kurain followers would pronounce it the original way. So I almost believe the localization effect occurs in the actual game to the non-kurain characters.

It would also mean that Ace Attorney 6 could be called "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Kurain out for help!" which would be terrible awesome.

Regarding Lamiroir, my instinct was that it was pronounced similar to Grimoire but I didn't know for sure.

Didn't know "Metis" would be pronounced "Meetis". That's going to be hard to get used to.

Here's one I'm real embarrassed about, as I've never thought about it since 8th grade and now I see I'm completely wrong. So don't judge me because I was a kid then! Are you Ready?

I've always pronounced Psyche locks like Athena's last name, as in Psych locks. Upon thinking about all the words in AA I've pronounced, I realized that it should sound like "Psychey locks" if I'm not mistaken. This is probably the most difficult of them all, because I can't for the life of me take "Psychey locks" seriously, even though Psyche is a completely serious word. For some reason "Psycho locks" sounds less ridiculous to me than "Psyche locks". Also because it was obviously the word Psyche and I should have never pronounced it wrong in the first place.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Quote:
It would also mean that Ace Attorney 6 could be called "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Kurain out for help!" which would be terrible awesome.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - The Kurain Masses that Kurae for Maya

I have absolutely no problem with Wesley Stickler's name, but for my first time playthrough, I thought it was "Sticker". I kept pronouncing it that away until close to the end of the case when I realized it was "Stickler". Well, he sure is a "sticker" in his search for a girl's magic panties.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

D.A. McCoy wrote:
I've always pronounced Psyche locks like Athena's last name, as in Psych locks. Upon thinking about all the words in AA I've pronounced, I realized that it should sound like "Psychey locks" if I'm not mistaken. This is probably the most difficult of them all, because I can't for the life of me take "Psychey locks" seriously, even though Psyche is a completely serious word. For some reason "Psycho locks" sounds less ridiculous to me than "Psyche locks". Also because it was obviously the word Psyche and I should have never pronounced it wrong in the first place.

Same here. I know Psyche is a word and that it's pronounced "Psychey", but I'm not gonna budge on my pronunciation of "Psych Locks"

迷探偵

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Didn't know "Metis" would be pronounced "Meetis". That's going to be hard to get used to.

cyanoscarlet wrote:
Metis. Is it "Meh-tis" - that is, short e (without the h sound!), or "Mee-tis" (long e)? I tend to lean more towards the short e pronunciation.

Both pronouncations are (sorta) correct, actually. "Meetis" (longated vowel) is how the name is pronounced in Modern Greek. In Ancient Greek however, the ῆ in Μῆτις was pronounced differently (Modern Greek basically threw a bunch of vowels together to simplify the language). in AG, the vowel is pronounced something like the 'e' in "men", or the "ai" in "fairy". I only know AG, so I always read the ῆ the 'old-fashioned' way.

>> Psyche Locks: I always say Pscyho Locks (because I mostly played the games in Japanese, and that's how they're supposed to be pronounced in that version ^_~)

D.A. McCoy wrote:

My whole life has been a lie. Good bye, my dear /saɪk/...

Ash wrote:

So my pronunciation is correct. I always thought it was wrong, somehow.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Bidoof bidoof bidoof is on fire

You mean to tell me that Psyche isn't pronounced like Athena's last name?

I mean, that makes sense, because it isn't 'psych'. The e's gotta be there for a reason. But I always read it like 'Cykes'. Psychey-Locks sounds so weird.

I used to, and sometimes still do, read Klavier's name like the French word. Like Klavi-eh. It wasn't until later that I found out that in German there's more emphasis on the e and the r is meant to be pronounced.

I also read Lamiroir how 'miroir' would be in French. Sometimes I'll pronounce the r's the English way though. Depends on how I'm feeling.

Now I'm wondering how Gramarye is meant to be pronounced. I thought it was 'rye' as in 'cry'. A long e just sounds wrong to me.

Also, how is Franziska meant to be pronounced? I always thought it was written how it was spelled, with the z, but I've heard people say 'Francheska' so I'm not so sure.
I... feel foolish.

My tumblr: http://www.polkadot-cookie.tumblr.com
My Apollo-centric sideblog: http://www.chords-of-fine.tumblr.com

If we don't have order, Prosecutor Blackquill will yell at us!

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I pronounce it as Fran-zis-kuh

Gardevoir lover

I kept saying Apollo's name wrong up until i played Dual destinies, that's pretty much it.
I've been on point with pronounciations throughout the whole series.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

A Kirby and AA fan

Nado13579 wrote:
Also, how is Franziska meant to be pronounced? I always thought it was written how it was spelled, with the z, but I've heard people say 'Francheska' so I'm not so sure.

If it's German, Franziska is pronounced really as you see it, but with a slight T before the Z.
Remember, both A in her name are an A like in "dark" not an A like in "cat"

MBr wrote:
I pronounce it as Fran-zis-kuh

I never understood why Americans (or all English-speaking people?) phonetically write the "ah" sound like "uh". But at this point, I understand that my "ah" is an American "uh".
So, I'd say it's more Frahn-Tzis-Kah, which is probably the exact same thing as you mean

Actually, it's like this: First syllable rhymes with "fun", second syllable is "tsis", third syllable is "kah". The emphasis lies on the second syllable.

One thing I never understood is how English speakers tend to always pronounce short European As as either "ah" or the A in "cat". They are perfectly able to pronounce it, as observed in words like "funny", "bun" or "uncooked". ;)

A Kirby and AA fan

Pessimistic_Fool wrote:
Actually, it's like this: First syllable rhymes with "fun", second syllable is "tsis", third syllable is "kah". The emphasis lies on the second syllable.

One thing I never understood is how English speakers tend to always pronounce short European As as either "ah" or the A in "cat". They are perfectly able to pronounce it, as observed in words like "funny", "bun" or "uncooked". ;)

I think there's a slight difference between the "ah" sound as in Franziska and as in "fun". It's close, though

There really isn't. The English word "bun" sounds exactly like the German word "Bann". ;)

A Kirby and AA fan

Pessimistic_Fool wrote:
There really isn't. The English word "bun" sounds exactly like the German word "Bann". ;)

Hm, I really guess it depends on what English dialect you're talking about, because the one I have in my head pronounces bun slightly different from Bann

Enoshima Junko-chan!

How would you pronounce "Tobaye," from Machi Tobaye? I pronounce it as toe-bay

A Kirby and AA fan

MBr wrote:

That's how I pronounce it too. Not sure if it's correct, though

The video game boy; the one who wins

I pronounce it like the "tobi-" in the name Tobias.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Racing through the sky like a Missile

MBr wrote:

According to the Jap spelling, it's more like Toe-bye, with a hanging uh sound at the end. That's about as close as I could get without resorting to pronouncing the kana literally.

I too fell into the trap and pronounced it like "toe-bye-eh".
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

ASCEND

I always pronounced it "Toe-bah-yee", even thought I'm fairly certain that that's completely wrong.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I once pronounced "Shadi" from Shadi Smith as "shoddy," not "shady."
Page 1 of 2 [ 44 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby