Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 33 posts ]

Justice For All: French versionTopic%20Title

http://jeux-france.com/news19591_phoeni ... video.html

movie
http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads754 ... ght-2.html

I can't read French Sadshoe
日本在住の日本人。
I'm Japanese and I live in Japan. English is difficult for me.
Re: Justice For All: French versionTopic%20Title

I can kind of read it, due to my ability to read spanish. It looks very likely that they localized it based on the english script. I wonder if all the European versions are that way...I could verify that if there were any screenshots available of a spanish version.

Norwegian

And this is the reason fo why I couldn't by JFA before today.
So I could play the game on a lanuage I only understand four cursewords on...

HOTEL DUSK DANCE PARTYYYY

There's not really much to go on in those screenshots to see how good the translation is, in terms of conveying characters.

Grey's dialogue looks pretty formal, which is good. I always thought it was Mons., not M., but maybe that's a little oddity of his (What's more likely is that I suck at French.)

Grey's little nametag says "Afforme", I'm stumped for what this could be a pun of.

Holding the Mega Drive controller!

Danbo Daxter wrote:
Grey's dialogue looks pretty formal, which is good. I always thought it was Mons., not M., but maybe that's a little oddity of his (What's more likely is that I suck at French.)

Grey's little nametag says "Afforme", I'm stumped for what this could be a pun of.

In PW1, the men are referred to as M. 'surname', e.g. M. Wright. So they are just carrying on that trend.

I would have thought Grey's French surname would have been 'Gris' which means 'Grey'. Similar to what they did with 'April May' which was 'Masha Avril' (March April).

But I never head the word 'Afforme' before. I think I'll ask my French MSN online mates. :D

I'm determined to try and play it in French when I buy it this Saturday. I'll have to see how far I can get and improve my tiny bit of information of French I know. Phoenix

Last edited by RadioShadow on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Is there a release date announced?
ImageImage

Its out today Croik! Happy day for the UK!

But I can't get it until Saturday. Sadshoe

What is my liiiife?!?

I'm not allowed until After ma A-levels (Because it would distract me from revising, and to be honest, I agree with my parents on that one)

Babelfish has no clue about Afforme. Thats pretty strange.

Ah oui, the bloody wait is finally over for us Europeans. I got the us version so I'm already bloody happy.

Oh yeah, counting the gaps between NTSC and PAL versions, JFA arrived pretty quick, compared to Hotel Dusk, FFII and EBA. We still have to wait one more month for Hotel Dusk, two months for FFIII and an announcement of EBA PAL release. Pain. PAIN. DESPAIR!

Afforme, c'est tres interessante. I googled and found out Afforme is some Danish verb.

What is my liiiife?!?

In other words, they either got a screenshot from the danish translation (Unlikely), or they've made Dr. Grey Danish.

Prufursurnkfa fushcatchurrr

A-forme, like in deformed?

Norwegian

Well ain't this great?
Every store in town has not even ordered the game...
So now have I ordered it from the net, and it will take a week before it arives...
Now that blows some steel hard ass...

Struck by a blunt objection

Happiness Punch! wrote:
Afforme, c'est tres interessante. I googled and found out Afforme is some Danish verb.

I havn't heard of the word afforme. If you mean 'af forme', it basicly means 'by casts' or 'by shapes'. Which would make some sense as his clinic does plastic surgery. it could also be derived from the words 'at forme', which means 'to shape'.

goggle says that afforme, as in af-forme, meaning 'taking out of a cast', though. It translates to demold. Like, when you have made some sort of cast and poured in some material, and it has dried, the afforme comes when you open the cast to take it out. I have no idea what this has to do with Gray. Dr. Grey

af-forme also means to deform, actually. Or 'un-shaping' more precisely. I guess that is the most likely translation if it is based on danish. Meekins

It is more likely that Afforme is based on Affirmative.

Oh, and google also had french hits on the word.

Last edited by Mikker on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Gerkuman wrote:
Babelfish has no clue about Afforme. Thats pretty strange.

It's....Babelfish. Not the best place for understanding ANY language. Detective Gumshoe
ImageImage

Okay, one thing for sure 'Afforme' is not a French word. I asked 'Nico' (A Advance Wars French Fan) and he has no idea and has never come across the word before. Basically its not a French word. Nick

Well that name has been buggered up badly. Maybe it will make more sense when his real name gets revealed.

EDIT: Mikker theory does make a bit of sense. We will have to see.

RadioShadow wrote:
Okay, one thing for sure 'Afforme' is not a French word. I asked 'Nico' (A Advance Wars French Fan) and he has no idea and has never come across the word before. Basically its not a French word. Nick

Well that name has been buggered up badly. Maybe it will make more sense when his real name gets revealed.

EDIT: Mikker theory does make a bit of sense. We will have to see.

Eh, just like "Miney", "Fey", and "Hackins" aren't real English words? It doesn't really say anything Nick

Not sure about 'Fey' but the other two:

Hackins - Related to the word 'hacking'

Miney - Related to the 'Ini Miney Mini Moe' song'

But you do make a good point know.

Maybe there doing what they did to Grossberg name which uses two German words meaning 'Big Mountain'. Grossburg So that could be why they added a 'Danish' name.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/ ... B000MXOTR0

German ver?
U.K. ver. = English + French + German ??

日本在住の日本人。
I'm Japanese and I live in Japan. English is difficult for me.

So the UK version will be in German as well.

At least I can now use Sargent Phoenix. XD

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Franziska speaking in actual German makes me happy >.>
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

CantFaketheFunk wrote:

Now I want to know where she came from in that game, since her name is still German.

Austria? Switzerland?

Tinker wrote:
CantFaketheFunk wrote:

Now I want to know where she came from in that game, since her name is still German.

Austria? Switzerland?

I don't think it was localized as it came out together with the Italian and Spanish versions, and those weren't. I mean, Redd still called you an American in Spanish.

So I'm guessing Franziska will come from Germany in Germany anyway.

I got my hands on the french version. And honestly I'm VERY disappointed. AA1 translation was good, but this one just has too many flaws.

1 : it relies way too much on the english script. For instance, leaving the english word "Channeling" or Pearl nicknames as they are is plain ridiculous. Ironically, some of the english version best references are translated, when they could have been left intact. Like Dr.Grey becoming 'Paul Afforme', which could be translated to "not healthy"... A really lame pun if you ask me.

2 : Sentences shape is sometimes very odd... hell, I swear I could give you the original english sentences just by reading the french text :/ LOADS of typos too.

3 : Not a flaw per se, but still : the bad adaptation clashes terribly with the wonderful work done on AA1, especially since lots of characters from the first game comes back...

I fail to undertand how it could go this badly after how good the localization of AA 1 was. Maybe they didn't had the same localization staff, who knows.

Oh bugger, poor French people for getting such a poor translation.

Kikuchi wrote:
1 : it relies way too much on the english script. For instance, leaving the english word "Channeling" or Pearl nicknames as they are is plain ridiculous. Ironically, some of the english version best references are translated, when they could have been left intact. Like Dr.Grey becoming 'Paul Afforme', which could be translated to "not healthy"... A really lame pun if you ask me.

So there's the "pun", my French is not fabulous, but did you possible mean this:
Il n'a= He is.... (He has)
"Pas à forme" = not in shape, pronounced Pasa forme
"Pas la forme" = not the shape, pronounced Pala forme

Last edited by Happiness Punch! on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yup, "Pas la forme".

To not have 'la forme' is a way to say you're not healthy. <Il n'a pas la forme> can be translated as 'he's not in good shape/he's sick'

Kikuchi wrote:
I got my hands on the french version. And honestly I'm VERY disappointed. AA1 translation was good, but this one just has too many flaws.

2 : Sentences shape is sometimes very odd... hell, I swear I could give you the original english sentences just by reading the french text :/ LOADS of typos too.

3 : Not a flaw per se, but still : the bad adaptation clashes terribly with the wonderful work done on AA1, especially since lots of characters from the first game comes back...

I fail to undertand how it could go this badly after how good the localization of AA 1 was. Maybe they didn't had the same localization staff, who knows.

the word "Channeling" exists in French it's not odd

That also what someone told me yesterday. So much for my example Yanni Yogi
Mea Cupla.

未来の遂行者

Okami Amaterasu wrote:
Kikuchi wrote:

the word "Channeling" exists in French it's not odd

I am quite sure channeling is not proper French. Anyway, I never heard it, and French is, by far, my strongest language. I tend to agree whit Kikuchi about the puns: after reading the character's names, I found that most of the puns where far less creative and well made that there English counterpart. I may still import it, thought (as I will probably import the PAL1 version of PW) just for the sake of playing trough the game in English.
By the way, I really don't like Phoenix's French voice...

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Hehe, I'm an ignorant American, but the uninteligable word 'beschwörungsraum' makes me giggle for no apparant reason.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

fox334 > Channeling is no french word, for sure, but it is actually the term used when referring to a medium who's calling a spirit. I never knew, but after checking a little, it seems that's true. As much as I loathe the use of an english word to talk about a japanese-style technique, we can't say it's "wrong".

Anyway, I like Phoenix french voice : D The guy overdoes it a little, but that's what gives him charisma.

Master of sharp things!

Kikuchi wrote:
Anyway, I like Phoenix french voice : D The guy overdoes it a little, but that's what gives him charisma.

Heh, overdoing it is definately the AA/GS way of doing things, so an overdone voice would probably fit in rather well.

I came, I saw, I left

Gerkuman wrote:
I'm not allowed until After ma A-levels (Because it would distract me from revising, and to be honest, I agree with my parents on that one)

Too right. I've managed to get next to no GCSE revision done these past two weeks (easter holidays) because I had been playing on Justice For All like a maniac. I just had to get it finished, especially in case four!

But...I've finished it now, meaning I'm free to revise. Sure.
I am such a procrastinator.
Good luck with your exams :D

Oh, well I do have a French oral exam on April 24th...I think playing on the French version of JFA is perfectly logical, right? Talking about murders where it should be holidays...eh, I could make up that I witnessed/solved a murder case while in France or something. Great bit of past tense there.
And then I have a German oral on May 1st. There's a German version of the UK JFA so I could play that too. Wahey.

I came, I saw, I left

RadioShadow wrote:
Eh, just like "Miney", "Fey", and "Hackins" aren't real English words? It doesn't really say anything Nick

Fey IS an English word. And a kind of fitting one too :)
fey (adj)=whimsically strange ; having the ability to look into the future.

OK, so Maya, Mia and Pearl can't exactly look into the future, but the word 'fey' does relate to psychic stuff. And they are all whimsically strange (unusually, 'fancifully' or playfully strange)...oh yes. In a good way.

I like words Maya Fey

Oh, and, of course, the relation to Morgan le Fey.

The names in Phoenix Wright go DEEP.
Page 1 of 1 [ 33 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby