Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 15 of 18[ 718 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Re: Parental Responses to PWTopic%20Title

I didn't see how double jeopardy could ever be applied to Luke Atmey. I understood how it worked with Ron, but in Luke's case it just didn't make sense. He was just never in position to be declared innocent of anything, so it didn't apply to him....

I've felt worse.

As far as I know, my parents think of this series as that weird thing with the courtrooms.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Mine just know about it. They never got interested in anything I was interested in anyway xD I mean, sure, they did ask me about it, but never really got into anything of that.

Other than that, they don't care about anything game, internet or anime/manga related, like I do. So, yeah. I wish I had cool parents like some people here ^^;

You know, a Mario game!

Sligneris wrote:
Mine just know about it. They never got interested in anything I was interested in anyway xD I mean, sure, they did ask me about it, but never really got into anything of that.

Other than that, they don't care about anything game, internet or anime/manga related, like I do. So, yeah. I wish I had cool parents like some people here ^^;

My mother is somewhat cool; she played video games in the 80s and early 90s, and is more familiar with games from that era than more recent games like GS. She thinks the series is interesting, but she finds it's too much like reading a book or watching a movie; she thinks that games today are way too story driven, and she prefers more simple, gameplay driven games like the ones in the 8 bit and 16 bit eras.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

I play Ace Attorney with my Grandma!

dimentiorules wrote:
Sligneris wrote:

My mother is somewhat cool; she played video games in the 80s and early 90s, and is more familiar with games from that era than more recent games like GS. She thinks the series is interesting, but she finds it's too much like reading a book or watching a movie; she thinks that games today are way too story driven, and she prefers more simple, gameplay driven games like the ones in the 8 bit and 16 bit eras.

Whoa, it's like exact opposite of usual adults (which my parents are perfect representatives of... ^^;) who tend to underestimate story potential of games and think of it as only simple gameplay games... oh and this pathetic omgviolence thing.

[Whip the cream!]

Well, on the topic of siblings: I visited my mom and two of my siblings who live there during christmas time. My youngest sibling made a lovely little drawing of Phoenix Wright, looking at my other sibling's game cover. He looked rather happy and his tie turned out wonderfully.
When they saw me play a few days later, they asked: Are you a boy or a girl? (Meaning: Do you play as a boy or a girl?) I said that I was a boy and pointed at Phoenix Wright. "The one that I was drawing?", they asked, and I said yes. "...but that's me!" they said.
A while later, they said they wanted to be Maya instead, and at that point, Mia in Pearl's outfit turned up at the screen. They wanted me to "be" Mia, and I didn't have the heart to tell them she was dead. :adrian-crunch:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

You know, a Mario game!

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Well, on the topic of siblings: I visited my mom and two of my siblings who live there during christmas time. My youngest sibling made a lovely little drawing of Phoenix Wright, looking at my other sibling's game cover. He looked rather happy and his tie turned out wonderfully.
When they saw me play a few days later, they asked: Are you a boy or a girl? (Meaning: Do you play as a boy or a girl?) I said that I was a boy and pointed at Phoenix Wright. "The one that I was drawing?", they asked, and I said yes. "...but that's me!" they said.
A while later, they said they wanted to be Maya instead, and at that point, Mia in Pearl's outfit turned up at the screen. They wanted me to "be" Mia, and I didn't have the heart to tell them she was dead. :adrian-crunch:

Um, but don't you get to "be" her in GS3?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
My dad doesn't know anything about Ace attorney as far as I know, the only time he's encountered it was when I spent nearly a day playing AJ and he watched for a moment, asked if it was fun and then pushed some buttons to see what would happen.

On another note: What happened? Was he impressed? :will:

The video game boy; the one who wins

I don't think anything dramatic happened, perhaps a "Hold it!" or something. I think he was mostly amused by getting a response, it's the same when he pushes random keys on my computer. In that sense he and my brothers, who are two years old, are excactly the same.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
I don't think anything dramatic happened, perhaps a "Hold it!" or something. I think he was mostly amused by getting a response, it's the same when he pushes random keys on my computer. In that sense he and my brothers, who are two years old, are excactly the same.

I feel you. :godot:

My daddy wanted to play a case and he played the first one... he thought it was nice! :gant: He says he will play more later.

[Whip the cream!]

dimentiorules wrote:
Um, but don't you get to "be" her in GS3?

They wanted me to be her as in play pretend. I probably described it a little hazily.
It's rather cute, they do it all the time when they see someone they like: I'm her/him! Who are you? You can be him/her!

But... Aren't you male...? xD

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

My parents have so far watched snippets of the Ace Attorney movie but not played any of the games. They have only seen snippets because they kept walking out of the room. Naturally, they later proceeded to call it stupid and confusing.

Sometimes when I'm playing the games, my Mum will hear 'OBJECTION' and yell 'OBJECTION' back to me. Same deal when I text message because I have OBJECTION as my message tone.

[Whip the cream!]

Sligneris wrote:
But... Aren't you male...? xD

Hey now, is there something funny about a child imagining an older brother with a massive bust!? :kudo: :godot:

They wanted to be both Phoenix and Maya themselves, things are based more on a whim than on gender.
Most of the times, though, the "roles" I get are male. Which makes me think about the fact that the role I've probably have gotten the most through the year would be the role of a very odd and clumsy father, which was based on when I pretended to be obnoxiously drunk when they were small enough not to realize the fact, I just did it to amuse myself and our other sibling. Naturally, a few years later, I don't have the heart to tell them I pretended to be a drunk father sleeping on the floor. Damn grape juice. :hobohodo:

Quote:
Naturally, they later proceeded to call it stupid and confusing.

Well, they're right. Not on the confusing part - well, yes, if you consider plot holes and such - but in the fact that the law in the game is incredibly stupid. And it's not even the funny kind of stupid anymore...

C-A

Breakdown

Not recently but back when I first played through 1 through 4 I used to tell grandma about the cases and she thought they were real.
Spoiler: 2-2
Boy what a winner the Ini Miney twist was. :redd:

[Whip the cream!]

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:
Not recently but back when I first played through 1 through 4 I used to tell grandma about the cases and she thought they were real.

Haha, priceless. :godot:

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:

That was a twist? :eh?:

C-A

You didn't get that? I mean, I understand if you had it figured out beforehand, I had as well, but by the reactions from the characters and how it was built up to, you really didn't understand it was supposed to be a twist?

...I myself did not expect it that much. I knew it the moment she confused sides of the car, but not earlier.

GoingforMiles wrote:
You didn't get that? I mean, I understand if you had it figured out beforehand, I had as well, but by the reactions from the characters and how it was built up to, you really didn't understand it was supposed to be a twist?

Well if it was supposed to be a twist, it was a pretty badly hidden one. I mean... okay, I'm already suspicious towards people who "sleep" during an incident. Automatically means no alibi, so I do not trust what they say. As mentioned above, the fact that car sides got mixed up was another one.

But the biggest hint - I almost want it call it a "GIANT ARROW POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS" - was at the clinic where you learn that, not only was she in a car accident herself, but that she had required facial reconstruction surgery and that luckily had a picture of herself with her.

That was like a really big hint that she took on the other's face and practically identity at that point.

C-A

The point is that you're missing the point. The post wasn't about what great and unexpected twist it was, the point was that this person has a grandma who thinks the cases are real and appearently reacted in an amusing way upon learning that... thing. If you want to discuss the twist or simply tell people that you wans't surprised by it, there are threads for that, just look in the GS2-subforum as I'm sure there are at least one thread on the matter, or go to the "Things you predicted" thread, which you yourself created, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it.

[Whip the cream!]

Oh, how it rains on people's parades all over the world... :meekins:

GoingforMiles wrote:
The point is that you're missing the point.

No, the point is: even if the grandmother thought it was real, it was not actually a big twist.

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

CatMuto wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:

No, the point is: even if the grandmother thought it was real, it was not actually a big twist.

C-A

But was that even the point of this thread? If it was a twist or not? They just used the word "twist", it wasn't about the to be or not to be of the twist/"twist"/potato/potatoe. Was it even neccessary for you to bring it up, I wonder?

Ace Explorer

My parents are usually the 'Eh, whatever.' type.
Ace Attorney is no different.
Well? Are we going or what?

Well, my parents are used to me being a huge nerd, so they just see it as another thing I like. I doubt I'd ever be able to get my mom into it, seeing as she doesn't really care much about video games, and she just prefers to lay in bed all day and watch TV. There's really no point in trying to get her into it because I'm also unable to convince her to watch Madoka Magica with me. My dad, however, possibly. He's a nerd like I am (he loves Star Trek, Middle-earth, and other stuff), who even designed a logo for a sci-fi convention when he was younger, so he knows what being a nerd's like. He's also the one who got me into The Beatles, Pink Floyd (classic rock in general, really), and Middle-earth, so that does mean we have common interests, so who knows, there's a chance. Though, he tends to prefer MMO games like Lord of the Rings Online and WoW, he doesn't play much single-player games as far as I'm aware of. But hey, there's hope. He is tech savvy, working for Boeing and all. And he is very much aware of its existence, he's the one who had to buy Dual Destinies on eShop for me because my mom doesn't know how too.

My mom likes the fanart I draw of it, of course, she likes all of my art, even the art of mine I'm not proud of, so it's not surprising... Though I admit, I think sometimes she overestimates how good of an artist I am. We went to a mall over Winter Break and there was a man selling really realistic drawings (I can't draw anything realistic), and I said something along the lines of "I wish I could draw that well", and she said "you probably can". Yeeeah, no... I can't really see myself being good at anything realistic. I can only draw cartoon/anime style and that's about it....

But I digress. Anyway, nothing really surprises my parents when it comes to my interests anymore, since they're all over the place. Ace Attorney, Pokemon, Di Gi Charat, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Madoka Magica..... Cookie Clicker, Minecraft. Really, the only thing they've ever thought was remotely strange was My Little Pony seeing as I'm a teenager and didn't even like things like that as a kid, but now that I've been into that for almost three years now.... yeah (which yeah, it only started with FiM, now I collect all generations of toys).

Spoiler:

CatMuto wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:

C-A

I get that that's your point, but it's neither the point of this thread nor Turnabout_Lawman's post. Now, if you truly didn't realize this was considered a twist, and used this thread to ask, there's nothing to that, which is why I was asking you about it, but judging from your following posts, and that you talkd about the stupidity of the twist/"twist" and how obvious the hints were, when I wanted to know how you thought about the build-up for the in-game revelation and the character's reactions to it, it feels more like you're just obscurity to get some kind of point across, and that's where I think you're going off-tracks and that's why I suggested places more suited to discuss that particular twist/"twist".

Over and out.

Considering the in-game characters are morons, I doubt they would be all THAT shocked, had they had half of their braincells actually functioning. Then again, if they did that, they wouldn't overreact to every little thing.

C-A

I played Ace Attorney with my mum for a while, but she's not really into video games, so I think she found it a bit boring. Though, she never let on. We got to about the second case of JFA and then it fizzled out. She watched the movie with me, too.

Rewind it and play it in slow motion.

Mine is rather interesting. See, it's thanks to my mom that I got into Phoenix Wright. She didn't introduce me to it directly, but she was the one who got me into anime, and I really got interested in PW when my friends on the Gintama forums began obsessing over it. We played around with the virtual Objection site, though I had no idea who the characters were. It became an inane RP, and Edgey, Phoenix, and Franziska were all taken, so I asked my mom who to play as. She chose Godot, and Godot I would be. Most of my RPing was pretty loopy because I was sick and accidentally took the nighttime cold medicine...
Ah, but that story is for another thread, and the smashed PW RP (One of my friends had recently downed some alcohol as well so wooo) was sadly unarchived, and my recollection shall be saved for another time.

Fast forward three months and $17 of well-spent money later...
I'm finishing 1-5 and reading the manga because I can multitask like that. I've been rambling bits and pieces to my mom. She wants to hear the whole story, so, well, I tell her in detail about 1-2, 1-4, and 1-5, and in almost full detail about the other cases. I show her the characters. She thinks :phoenix: is adorkable, he's her favorite. :edgeworth: is cute and extremely good-looking in her opinion as well. And she wants to hug :eh?:, which is thoroughly understandable. I could go in deep detail on her reactions to the rest of the characters and their personalities, but I must move on. She looks at the manga I'm reading, Miles Edgeworth Investigations V3, and I'm at the page they introduce Ema. Like the ridiculously sharp tool in the metaphorical shed she is, my mom remarks, "She likes Edgeworth, doesn't she?"
Well, she hilariously has difficulties pronouncing his name, despite having no noticeable accent outside of a Californian one, so it was more like "Ed-worth." (And now Edward Elric's bangs' uncanny resemblance to Edgeworth's is ingrained into my mind)

I respond with a "Yeah, schoolgirl-ish crushing."

She nods, and mulls over the page I'm reading. "And Gumshoe has an admiration complex."

I flip the page. "Yep. He cleans his office and helps him with reaching books in high places. He's constantly having his pay docked, but whenever it seems he's gonna be fired, Edgeworth steps in."

"Does Edgeworth like anyone?"

I pause and mentally run through all of the PW-associated stuffs I've read, from wikis to the game and run a character check, whilst watching 1-5 come to a close.

"Actually-"

"Oh, I know! It's a Shounen Ai, right?" She seems quite proud of herself. "Or at least has undertones."

Her words kind of slammed me in the face. Me and my brother, my PW-playing companion, had had a long conversation on relationships between the characters the other night, and here my mom was being my mom.

"I am right, aren't I? I mean, look at the story. And everything you've told me. There's at least implications."

"Well, yes, although I'm not sure Capcom will ever pair Phoenix with anyone. There is quite a bit of subtext. Nick's pretty straight, though. But there is certainly something between them, what that is is up for debate. The chemistry and backstory are pretty there." I say, inwardly hugging Capcom for giving me Okamiden, PW itself and now this ambiguously debatedly perhaps-ly romantic relationship.

"I love these types of relationships. Ed(ge)worth's definitely a Tsun-tsundere."

"...?"

"Extra -tsun. He doesn't like girls, does he?"

"From what I've seen, no. He's so dense he doesn't even realize the masses of fangirls (and occasionally boys) he draws. I think he's demisexual, y'know, only attracted to someone if he has a close emotional bond with them. Or at least that's what I've discerned, seeing his blatant lack of attraction to both those of the male and female gender..."

"Who isn't a porcupine. Telling someone about your worst fears kind of indicates that kind of bond."

I'm just about done with 1-5's last out of court scene, so I show her Edgeworth's pose where he looks to the side with one arm holding the other.

"Tsun-tsun-tsundere. Yep, I really think he likes Phoenix."

*insert rest of conversation here, including a HILARIOUS part in which my mom determines that Pearls wants Phoenix for herself*

Ad thus my mom became an avid NaruMitsu shipper.
At one point I'm reading an adorable fluffy Phoenix/Maya friendship chapter of the manga Casebook V1 and she asks me what their relationship is. I tell her it seems pretty sibling-y, and she says good, because the only person for Phoenix is Edgeworth. I then got the water I was gulping down up my nose.

I love my mom.

(By the way, please excuse my lack of smilies and consistent tense. I'm too lazy to add the former in and have glaring issues with the second
Oh and for the lack of quality too. :sadshoe: I wish my writing was up to par, but alas, writer's block strikes at the most unexpected of times, and plus I'm not all to good at remembering.)

[Whip the cream!]

Oh! That was a really fun read! Your mother has good taste!

Rewind it and play it in slow motion.

WaitingforGodot wrote:

Aw, thanks. ^\\\^ I haven't actually posted anything on a forum for a while, it feels good to be back on 'em, though I'm a bit rusty.
My mother is my idea of the ideal being. She's super savvy, totally likable, and has the greatest of taste, all the while being humble as our living situation. Oh, and she's addicted to coffee. :godot:

On the siblings front, I got my younger brother into it first. He insists that I'm a loser at the game (which is true) and I should stop looking things up (which is also true). He helps me quite a bit, though, and when he plays I help him. He recently bought every single Edgeworth manga and is searching for Investigations. My other brother, who is slightly older but still my junior, aslo was converted and now is playing 1-4 with me and reading the manga. My little sisters, much to my mother's chagrin, have also joined the AA-fan squad, and are unfazed by the physical and emotional violence which goes on in the series. Ah, to have a family of otaku is a joy indeed.

...although I'm the worst and even they sometimes tell me to shut up.

Gardevoir lover

My mom thinks Athena's the love interest when she watches me play AA5.

And about 2 maybe more years ago me, my brother and cousin were playing Ace attorney 1 on the Wiiware and my cousin was struggling on hi's turn in the 4th case. I just yelled out "It's the bloody gun!!" while my mom walk by giving us an awkward look.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

[Whip the cream!]

Okami_Sarahiko wrote:
WaitingforGodot wrote:

Aw, thanks. ^\\\^ I haven't actually posted anything on a forum for a while, it feels good to be back on 'em, though I'm a bit rusty.
My mother is my idea of the ideal being. She's super savvy, totally likable, and has the greatest of taste, all the while being humble as our living situation. Oh, and she's addicted to coffee. :godot:

On the siblings front, I got my younger brother into it first. He insists that I'm a loser at the game (which is true) and I should stop looking things up (which is also true). He helps me quite a bit, though, and when he plays I help him. He recently bought every single Edgeworth manga and is searching for Investigations. My other brother, who is slightly older but still my junior, aslo was converted and now is playing 1-4 with me and reading the manga. My little sisters, much to my mother's chagrin, have also joined the AA-fan squad, and are unfazed by the physical and emotional violence which goes on in the series. Ah, to have a family of otaku is a joy indeed.

...although I'm the worst and even they sometimes tell me to shut up.

Hehe, she sounds absolutely great!

Wow, you have an entire AA-family! That sounds like fun! It was my younger sibling who got me into it since I know nothing about games in general, and much to their delight I absolutely loved it. Now we never have to run out of things to discuss when we meet, haha. :will: Not that we had problems with that in the first place, but even so... "Hm, what to do? Let's discuss AA! Hurray!" :godot:

My mother once asked me what I was playing, and I told her the basic premise of the game.
Since my father's a defense attorney himself (though only for lawsuits), my mother thought it was kind of neat that I found the games interesting, and thought I should tell my dad.

My dad doesn't understand video games, so he didn't really care.

Dracarys!

I don't live with my family anymore, but when we get together one of my sister's occasionally demands to let her play my DS/iPod.

I convinced my second sister to play the first game and she got really obsessed with it for about a week then never played it again when she got stuck.

My dad saw both of them playing and asked "Hey, when am I gonna get to play that lawyer game?" It only cost $5.00 on iTunes so I got it for him. I don't think he's started it yet though.

My mom's aware that it exists, but is pretty indifferent.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

My parents even took away my 3DS, because I played GS5 a lot. (I even went past my records for SF64 3D!) So the only way I got it back was to go full Simon Blackquill on them.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Page 15 of 18 [ 718 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby