Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)

Page 1 of 1[ 37 posts ]

Praise for GS4 with mixed feelingsTopic%20Title

P/E shipper!

I've no idea whether this is in the right forum, or whether this forum loves bumping old threads...because I tried searching and came up with nothing (saying something about my searching skill)

I'll admit it - it was not my intention to start GS4 because I heard of what had happened to Phoenix. Well, because I got the whole set, and also because I am experiencing GS withdrawal symptoms, I played the game - with unexpected results. To tell you the truth, I've thought at first that it was a separate game (The name Apollo Justice doesn't actually scream a direct sequel to the series) until I knew about the Gyakuten Saiban series and the sequence of playing it. And I'll admit - it was good. Though it has its flaws ('incuritis'? Now that's definitely made up because it doesn't make sense medically), it doesn't seem to warrant the bad vibe I seem to get from the fans. And I'll say that I've played my money's worth. The music, gameplay and animations (with 3D and crime recreation) are better than even GS1 -3, fully utilising the DS functions.

The only thing lacking is the story, but give it time, I guess. I just didn't feel as satisfied as I should when I saw the ending.

Anyway. I wanted to ask if anyone had the same experience as I do...those who didn't play AJ first, especially? It was a huge paradigm shift I experienced with AJ. And now I'm a fully fledged fan of GS4.
Re: Praise for GS4 with mixed feelingsTopic%20Title

DIIIICKHAIR~

Dully: I agree, and I played GS3 first, but I still liked GS4 better because of this character right here - MR. DARYAN CRESCEND TO YOU. THE CRESCENDO. THE BIG D. :haha:

I loved AJ! Thought I was gonna hate it but didn't.

Still prefer T&T though =P

crescendio wrote:
Dully: I agree, and I played GS3 first, but I still liked GS4 better because of this character right here - MR. DARYAN CRESCEND TO YOU. THE CRESCENDO. THE BIG D. :haha:

Daryan is hoooooot!!!! Not as hot as Apollo but still, hot <3
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

lol boobs.

AJ wasn't nearly as good as the first 3.

Mainly because lots of plot wholes.. and lack of sense.
Also when Godot appeared I thought 'YES' cause he actually was a man XD
And then I saw Klavier.
And Capcom crushed my hopes.
Seriously he kinda ruined it for me xD
And I learned that magicians are plain annoying, AVOID THEM.
I won't start with Ema now.
In 1-5 I liked her and then she became a bitch.
Oh and..
WHO THE FUCK NEEDS CRIME RECREATION

I can't find something to like AJ.. :lana:

( wow my 888th post is a AJ hater post :uramidn: )

"also you meant: Are you from Germany, sorry on the one hand I am not sure about English grammar on the other hand I am a grammar nazi" - Coffee Prosecutor

Machine on the Inside

I think AJ suffers the same thing that Metal Gear Solid 2 did. (That is, pretty decent game, but the fact you're not playing as the original hero (Phoenix/Solid Snake) and you're stuck with someone who is "not as awesome" (Apollo/Raiden))

Look on the bright side, at least Apollo's not emo.
ImageImage

Yew is an expert in playing tag!

P/E shipper!

crescendio wrote:
MR. DARYAN CRESCEND TO YOU. THE CRESCENDO. THE BIG D. :haha:

That's so true! He's hot - though his hairstyle defies gravity XD.

.•°٭blinq٭°•. wrote:

that, sadly is true...the Mason system doesn't make sense at all. To me, at least. But I guess subsequent games will patch the plot holes up. Most of the cases within AJ are sufficiently explained, at least up to 4-4, which seemed too rushed.

.•°٭blinq٭°•. wrote:
And I learned that magicians are plain annoying, AVOID THEM.
I won't start with Ema now.
In 1-5 I liked her and then she became a bitch.
I can't find something to like AJ.. :lana:

I can't say I loved the troupe very much because there isn't much thought going into developing the characters in the Gramarye troupe. I like Trucy well enough though. (:

Ema...changed. In a way, her personality is like Maya, only less dedicated to solving crimes unless there is science in it.

lol boobs.

theufw wrote:
In a way, her personality is like Maya, only less dedicated to solving crimes unless there is science in it.

Hell no, if she was like Maya I wouldn't hate her so much xD
Obviously the only thing Ema is good at is throwing snacks at people

"also you meant: Are you from Germany, sorry on the one hand I am not sure about English grammar on the other hand I am a grammar nazi" - Coffee Prosecutor

Otaku, #1 Machi fan, #2 Machi Fan

theufw wrote:
I've no idea whether this is in the right forum, or whether this forum loves bumping old threads...because I tried searching and came up with nothing (saying something about my searching skill)

I'll admit it - it was not my intention to start GS4 because I heard of what had happened to Phoenix. Well, because I got the whole set, and also because I am experiencing GS withdrawal symptoms, I played the game - with unexpected results. To tell you the truth, I've thought at first that it was a separate game (The name Apollo Justice doesn't actually scream a direct sequel to the series) until I knew about the Gyakuten Saiban series and the sequence of playing it. And I'll admit - it was good. Though it has its flaws ('incuritis'? Now that's definitely made up because it doesn't make sense medically), it doesn't seem to warrant the bad vibe I seem to get from the fans. And I'll say that I've played my money's worth. The music, gameplay and animations (with 3D and crime recreation) are better than even GS1 -3, fully utilising the DS functions.

The only thing lacking is the story, but give it time, I guess. I just didn't feel as satisfied as I should when I saw the ending.

Anyway. I wanted to ask if anyone had the same experience as I do...those who didn't play AJ first, especially? It was a huge paradigm shift I experienced with AJ. And now I'm a fully fledged fan of GS4.

Thank the Lords, someone with common sense! Thank you!
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGANT

.•°٭blinq٭°•. wrote:

Plot holes? Are you expecting this to be the last will see of Apollo? Well, sorry, but Apollo's story isn't over yet :keiko: . In GS1, there were no loose ends or plot holes, because capcom didn't expect it to be so popular. Now, they're taking their sweet time with developing the story.
GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

i feel pretty

crescendio wrote:
THE BIG D. :haha:

Big D? You can say that again :pencileraser:.
*shot*

Hitman Extraordinaire.

One of my awesome friends loaded the series into a gun and shot it at me. Repeatedly. She eventualy got me to play it- as I heard of it before- and I started out with the first game. By the second game, I had some odd feeling of wanting to play the fourth game. From my research, it had new characters and improved graphics, and there wasn't anything they could really expand on Phoenix, since they wrapped it all up in the first. I have this deep, hereditary longing for the new, so I felt like I almost ran through the other two games so I could get to GS4. That was until 3-5. I think that was the best case out of all the games. I took my sweet time with that one. ;D

Well, then I finaly did get to the fourth game, and at first I was like, "... the interface is exactly the same." Then I clicked on the first case and was impressed by the intro. And then the game really starts. The first, best impression I've had was the throbbing lobby music and the lines, "(Panicked... Palms sweaty... I can admit it. I'm nervous.)" And the rest is history. I loved the game. The characters are intersting.
Apollo has got to be one of the cuttest and akward things I've seen (until I met Tsuna,) and his backstory is what I want to get into now that I know the basis for it. (Is one of the reasons that I can't wait for the next game.)
Trucy is self explanatory. She runs the show- or runs Apollo. What he'd do without her... I have no idea.
Klavier was very interesting. It was nice to have a prosecutor who wanted to be your friend too. He reminds me of a retriever.
Kristoph. There's nothing I can say but that he was one of the best villains I've met in a long while. What a lovely facade he put up, only truely revealing his contempt at the end of it all.
Spoiler: 4-4
But those black phycolocks scared the fucking hell out of me when I saw them... Imagine if Phoenix tried to break them. He'd kill himself. Failing normal phyche locks did enough harm to him. Imagine what those horrible, nightmare phyche locks would do, if he tried and failed.

So all in all, I like the Apollo Justice series more than I do the classic. This is probably because of the backstory and storyline potential it has. I'm a sucker for a good story. Even if I have to wait a few years to get my answers.

i feel pretty

Roxas the Composer wrote:
One of my awesome friends loaded the series into a gun and shot it at me. Repeatedly. She eventualy got me to play it- as I heard of it before- and I started out with the first game. By the second game, I had some odd feeling of wanting to play the fourth game. From my research, it had new characters and improved graphics, and there wasn't anything they could really expand on Phoenix, since they wrapped it all up in the first. I have this deep, hereditary longing for the new, so I felt like I almost ran through the other two games so I could get to GS4. That was until 3-5. I think that was the best case out of all the games. I took my sweet time with that one. ;D

Well, then I finaly did get to the fourth game, and at first I was like, "... the interface is exactly the same." Then I clicked on the first case and was impressed by the intro. And then the game really starts. The first, best impression I've had was the throbbing lobby music and the lines, "(Panicked... Palms sweaty... I can admit it. I'm nervous.)" And the rest is history. I loved the game. The characters are intersting.
Apollo has got to be one of the cuttest and akward things I've seen (until I met Tsuna,) and his backstory is what I want to get into now that I know the basis for it. (Is one of the reasons that I can't wait for the next game.)
Trucy is self explanatory. She runs the show- or runs Apollo. What he'd do without her... I have no idea.
Klavier was very interesting. It was nice to have a prosecutor who wanted to be your friend too. He reminds me of a retriever.
Kristoph. There's nothing I can say but that he was one of the best villains I've met in a long while. What a lovely facade he put up, only truely revealing his contempt at the end of it all.
But those black phycolocks scared the fucking hell out of me when I saw them... Imagine if Phoenix tried to break them. He'd kill himself. Failing normal phyche locks did enough harm to him. Imagine what those horrible, nightmare phyche locks would do, if he tried and failed.

So all in all, I like the Apollo Justice series more than I do the classic. This is probably because of the backstory and storyline potential it has. I'm a sucker for a good story. Even if I have to wait a few years to get my answers.

THANK YOU! This is what I have been trying to tell the detractors. You win 3 cookies, and immunity from the Hypnogant. :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGANT.

Roxas the Composer wrote:

I have never seen someone be that nice to Apollo Justice characters, especially Klavier. Thank you :will:
GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I wouldn't say AJ is my favorite, but I've definitely loved it since my first playthrough. Sure, it's not perfect, but neither were the earlier games. They all have their share of logic-breaking nonsense (I'm looking at you Mr. "I'm Going To Use My Power As A Prosecutor To Hide The Fact That I'm A Prosecutor From The Court.") They all have endearing an obnoxious characters. It all just comes down to taste as to which formulas you prefer.
ImageImage

I'd have to say that AJ is not better than Trials and Tribulations or the original AA.

OBJECTION! BOTH ATTORNEYS ARE AWESOME!

AJ's a pretty good game overall but it's got some fatal flaws.

1: What's the point of introducing a new attorney if he's Phoenix's shadow, limb for limb? Apollo has exactly the same personality as Phoenix. Fix that in GS5 pl0x.
2: Herr Klavier is a moron. I hate him. He's such a show-off.
3: 4-4 sucked the big one. So much buildup....for nothing.

And as for the first post saying you were heistent to play it because of what they did to Phoenix? Believe me, I know. I was on an AJ Boycott for about 2 years for that very same reason. But it's really not as bad as they made it seem.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

BBdoubleB wrote:
1: What's the point of introducing a new attorney if he's Phoenix's shadow, limb for limb? Apollo has exactly the same personality as Phoenix. Fix that in GS5 pl0x.

I don't think that's true at all. They were very similar, sure, but there are some major differences. Apollo is more emotional - when was the last time Phoenix broke down crying, or punched someone in anger? Usually it's Phoenix getting punched!

Apollo talks frequently about staying up all night practicing and studying, while Phoenix's creating artist described him as someone who lays around the house all day watching TV and surfing the internet. Apollo was excited about going out and finding Wocky as a client despite not even meeting him before the first day of court; Phoenix takes cases he has a personal involvement in, or else is dragged out by Maya.

Sure they both have sarcastic senses of humor, and especially because of the Maya/Trucy parallel the voice of the game is very familiar, but they're still very different characters with different motivations and habits.
ImageImage

i feel pretty

Croik wrote:
Usually it's Phoenix getting punched!

It was Phoenix getting punched in this one as it is!

Croik wrote:
BBdoubleB wrote:

I don't think that's true at all. They were very similar, sure, but there are some major differences. Apollo is more emotional - when was the last time Phoenix broke down crying, or punched someone in anger? Usually it's Phoenix getting punched!

Apollo talks frequently about staying up all night practicing and studying, while Phoenix's creating artist described him as someone who lays around the house all day watching TV and surfing the internet. Apollo was excited about going out and finding Wocky as a client despite not even meeting him before the first day of court; Phoenix takes cases he has a personal involvement in, or else is dragged out by Maya.

Sure they both have sarcastic senses of humor, and especially because of the Maya/Trucy parallel the voice of the game is very familiar, but they're still very different characters with different motivations and habits.

I don't think there's ever been a new protagonist who thinks he isn't living in his predecessor's shadow. Did Rodimus Prime think he could distinguish himself from Optimus Prime when he looked at Optimus Prime's statue? Did Optimus Primal know that he was gonna surpass the original Optimus Prime when he began the Beast Wars?

i feel pretty

Optimus Prime wrote:
Croik wrote:
BBdoubleB wrote:

I don't think there's ever been a new protagonist who thinks he isn't living in his predecessor's shadow. Did Rodimus Prime think he could distinguish himself from Optimus Prime when he looked at Optimus Prime's statue? Did Optimus Primal know that he was gonna surpass the original Optimus Prime when he began the Beast Wars?

Not to mention Simon & Kamina from Gurren Lagann...

Is that some sorta mecha show?

OBJECTION! BOTH ATTORNEYS ARE AWESOME!

Croik wrote:
BBdoubleB wrote:

When was the last time Phoenix broke down crying? Well, can we consider the end of 2-4 as crying?

I think Phoenix hit Mia in 3-1 too, obviously that doesn't count, just mentioning it. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him hitting somebody if they pissed him off enough [Although I guess it'd be hard to piss him off more than
Spoiler:
Engarde
did.]

That's true, we can clearly see Apollo's enthusiasm....but even though the director describes him as being lazy out of court, I never once even GUESSED about that, either the translator team's fault for omitting something or the developer's fault for being vague about it. ...Either way, if he hadn't made that statement, I doubt you'd think of Phoenix as lazy.

How personally involved was Phoenix in 1-5 and 2-1?

Also, it's not just the sarcasm. They have the same approach on thinking: "Act first, think later."

i feel pretty

Optimus Prime wrote:
Is that some sorta mecha show?

In a nutshell, yeah.

Surf's Up!

When I finished AJ for the first time I had mixed feelings about the game: On one hand I thouroughly enjoyed the bits where you get to "play CSI", with the footprint analysis and the fingerprinting (and I am hoping that there will be more in GS5), but on the other I felt that the prosecution was lacking compared the other two games I had previously played at that point (the original and JFA). Klavier was way too helpful, which in turn, made the game way too easy.

Also, I felt that the final case was a real disappointment, presenting no real challenge (other than finding Brushel's habit) and the stand-off at the end with Kristoph, merely consisted of uncovering his easy-to-find habit, doing a couple of easy presents, and then spending the next 15-20 minutes skipping through Kristoph talking with his brother. Given that it was the final bit of the final case, I had expected for a more epic ending.

In conclusion, I'd say that AJ, while not a bad game, is nowhere near as good as the other three Ace Attorney games.

Here's hoping that GS5 can go some way to rectifying that! *crosses fingers*

I played pw 1-2-3 then AJ and by AJ i was a big ace attorney fan. I loved AJ all the way my only gripe was the final court day felt lacking compared to others. and it was a shame the story was still mainly about phoenix rather than apollo but i think AJ 2 will be released and have very little if any on phoneix and more focuesed on apollo i mean we don't even know why apollo become a defence attorney :(
OBJECTION " i objection this is objectionable"

OBJECTION " i object to the witnesses talkitiveness"

the Index finger of Fate

Appolo Justice, in my opinion, is lacking more of 'speaking for himself' in dialogs .. cause Wright's comments often got a chuckle out of me
... and there's need of prosecutor you could hate .. Klavier isn't really a competition.
Though it isn't bad game :will:
Image Image

Wriiight D<

I really, really enjoyed Apollo Justice.
Didn't notice any plot holes or anything.
I had never played the first Ace Attorney, so I couldn't comment on Ema at the time. Now, I agree, she is incredibly irratating.

But the second case was dull as all hell. And Because of that I enjoyesd T&T more
;3

earthlings on fire

The thing about Apollo Justice is that it was incredibly sad. I was mourning the end of the Phoenix Arc the whole time I was playing it, and it only made me sadder when I got to play as Phoenix during 4-4. I have issues moving on when it comes to a series.
Apollo is a great, fresh character, but he seems to just be a copy of Phoenix in some ways. Some parts of the game I noticed that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if Phoenix and Maya were talking or if it was Apollo and Trucy had the names been taken away. Sure, Apollo seems to care more about his career, but... I don't know. Maybe I'm just biased.
There were many new characters who were amazing. Kristoph, Klavier, Vera, all these people are unlike characters we've seen before. Klavier, though, needs more of a stronger presence as a main prosecutor.
The bracelet effect was cool, the music was amazing, and I really liked the new courtroom look.
Case 4-2 was so incredibly dull I nearly died, but cases 4-1 and 4-4 were really great. It's not often you get a really fun beginning case.
Overall, Apollo Justice was really good. The cases were interesting and they were new ideas, nothing we've seen before. It was just a little bit hard dealing with having a new main character.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

I'm wearing blue socks.

My only complaint about Apollo Justice is that you didn't face three prosecutors.
Cosgrove wrote:
You know, I like jousting so much I wish I could marry it.

*awesome quote*

Well, all the three PW-arc games endings made me cry, Apollo Justice didn't. And while I love Apollo and Kristoph as characters I think there's room for improvement in the story department. But still, it wasn't bad, I really liked it, Phoenix has just won my heart and it's hard to make room for someone else now.
Sig by the wonderful Blinq!
Thank you~

Poké Maniac & Ace Attorney

I just finished AA4 and I really enjoyed it. It's not the best game, but I think it did what it needed to — bridge the gap between Phoenix's story and Apollo's, basically.

It also fixed things that maybe weren't so great in the first three games. Like those horrible moments where you've got about ten bits of testimony, six pages of evidence, and three pages of profiles — and no freakin' idea what you're supposed to be proving. Not a problem in Apollo Justice. The game does a great job of making sure you always know just enough so it's challenging but not frustrating. Even the Psyche-Locks were fun, and I hate Psyche-Locks.
And the artwork was amazing. Wesley's "shocked" animation made me laugh out loud every single time I saw it. :study:

AND! NO MORE HIDEOUS YELLOW COURTROOM! It's about time.

Yeah, I love it, basically. (And Apollo. :odoroki: <3)

US!

I shall reply in a basic impressions 'good' or 'bad' things style

Good things bout GS4
:garyuu: Kristoph was the
Spoiler:
Ultimate Villain, I prefer him to Dahlia to be honest, just beacuase of his calm and collected nature, and the fact he was so close to getting off the hook both times but was thwarted by the Jurist system and the fact that his student was soo close to getting Orly done for murder,but he was defending the great Phoenix Wright, with whom justice always wins.

3D, DS style features!
The fact that the PW arc hasnt just been completely forgotten and ignored.
I thought Klavier :kyouya: was a genuienly interesting prosecutor, he isnt all 'must kill Apollo' 'must come back from hell to defeat this guy' 'must keep a perfect reputation and 100% win record' etc.
The Music just seems to keep getting better!
The fact case 1 actually has some significance (like 3-1)
The Mini PW Trial in Case 4

Things that weren't so good.
Preparing to get a horrible backlash here...
The Gramaryes and Trucy :minuki: ... I won't go into to much detail, because people will pick me apart on this, but I thought Trucy was boring and too similar to Maya type character, Spirit Channeling always had more possibilites than Magic I think.
Enough of them,
No Psyche Locks, I kinda miss them...
Spoiler: Case 2 villain
Alita Tiala's breakdown, I mean, what was that supposed to be... :(

Matt DeMasque!
*Currently playing Spirit of Justice*

Wriiight D<

I really enjoyed AJ. I think people didn't like it because they were too used to Phoenix, Maya and all them. Trucy annoyed a bit, she just felt slightly dumb at points. The ending, I loved but compared to T&T, it wasn't that good. So yeah, enjoyable by it's own standards, not great when comparing it to the other Phoenix Wright Games

<3 Kristoph, Btw XD
;3

Call me Ishmael.

It was a good game, but it will always be my least favourite game in the series.

The plot was predictable, slow and not very thought-through. To make things worse, almost all the new characters were one-dimensional, and the old characters were all OOC. You can't present profiles either.

That's what I didn't like about the game, but it has its good points too - like the scientific investigations, the animations, the music... And I have to admit that I liked the game's humour more than in the first three games.

But yeah, the game could definitely have been better. I would have liked it more if the old characters were replaced by new characters.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

A beautiful world indeed.

Truth is, I like the new game and characters. But I just don't like how Capcom handled the storytelling. Besides the huge plotholes, GS4 put way too much emphasis on Phoenix's role rather than Apollo's, which lead to what garners most of his hate. This can be especially seen in 4-4 where you spend roughly half the case playing as Phoenix, only to have a dissapointing ending trial with Apollo.

Really sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to do GS4 without Pheonix in the game in the first place (albeit with a much different plot, but still...).

addled = confused

neoswordmaster wrote:
Truth is, I like the new game and characters. But I just don't like how Capcom handled the storytelling. Besides the huge plotholes, GS4 put way too much emphasis on Phoenix's role rather than Apollo's, which lead to what garners most of his hate. This can be especially seen in 4-4 where you spend roughly half the case playing as Phoenix, only to have a dissapointing ending trial with Apollo.

Really sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to do GS4 without Pheonix in the game in the first place (albeit with a much different plot, but still...).

I guess that's one of my main complaints as well. In this game, even though Phoenix was supposedly a supporting character, he took a lot of the spotlight away from Apollo. All the current cases just became extensions of Phoenix' case seven years ago.

Another thing is that I didn't really feel any connection with any of the defendants, since Apollo didn't get to talk with any of them before the trial began.

Spoiler:
Machi Tobaye acted like he couldn't speak English until toward the end of the trial, and Vera played the mute.

The ending also wasn't as good as it could have been. It didn't have as much impact as T&T's ending because through so much information at you at the very end that you couldn't feel anything. The last part of 4-4's trial didn't carry as much impact either. Teaming up with the prosecution to take out the bad guy couldn've felt so much more awesome. Take the last part of 2-4's trial.

Spoiler:
Even though Phoenix and Edgeworth were sort of enemies during the first PW, you get to team up against Engarde. Because they were enemies in the past, it felt more exciting. Klavier's pretty friendly throughout most the game (at least compared to other prosecutors), so when he helps you take down Kristoph it doesn't carry as much impact.

I still liked the game, though. All the specs were better than the previous Ace Attorney games, since it was made for the DS and not just a port from the GBA. I'd buy the sequel if they make one as long as it focuses on Apollo more.

Hero of the Court

When I first heared, that the fourth game will have a total new maincast, I was quite suprised. I knew at that time, that Capcom tried to replace the actual maincharacters of most of there games, but I didn't realy expect this to happen to the GS-franchise, with Phönix and Miles beeing that popular and important to the main storys.

But, after I saw the first pictures of the new Cast, it was kind of promising.
The idea of giving Phönix not only a totally new image but also giving him a daughter was kinda interesting, and I liked Apollo from the get go, even when he looked realy like a Phönix 2.0.
Okay, I didn't knew what I should think about Klavier, but atleast I was happy to see that Capcom didn't made a big mistake. :will:

When I than could play it (damn capcom, I know in Germany your games aren't that succesful, but come on :chinami: ), I totaly fell in love with it. Okay, Apollo didn't get his time to shine in his first game, but, I liked him a lot (even a bit more than Phönix *get behind something to protect me from stones coming out from everywhere :meekins: *)
Also, the game itself was pretty nice, the only thing I missed there was a chase about the actual Silver-Samurai XD
Page 1 of 1 [ 37 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)