Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Just beat Last Window... (tagged spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:22 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Scientifically Magical Detective O_o
This game. Ahhhhhhh *_*

And I am so much in love with the new songs. Oh man oh man oh man. Especially the last song "End of the Journey", it's so beautiful I can't get enough <3 Belief and Promise are <3 too.

Personally I found this game a lot easier to play then Hotel Dusk, I got through it a lot faster without getting horrible lost and stuck like I did in Hotel Dusk a few times. The only thing I could not figure out at all was the elevator thing, but I was able to figure out where to go and what to do pretty easily, and the "game over" routes were pretty obvious except for a couple.

So there isn't a "perfect" ending, like the one in Hotel Dusk? That stinks. I got through without any game-overs and got the ending everyone else seems to got.

I'm gonna go back and read the novel, I was more concerned with getting through the game but it looks really interesting.

My comments on the novel epilogue:

Spoiler: Comments
This was great, it was nice to see Ed and Rachel's reactions to Kyle's adventure, and the "month later" scenerio with seeing the Reagans going off to be together and Dylans part. Omg. I dunno why but this took him from Epic Creeper level down to total human I just wanted to give him a hug. I had started to feel that his character was pretty stupid, but it was nice to see that he turned over a new leaf.

But FFFFFFF REX/MARIE FOREVERRRRR Gah, you cannot ship her with Kyle after that bit, no way :P

Also the 9-pin extra at the end is awesome, that'll be fun to pick up and play at random XD

As far as the characters go, I agree the pacing sorta killed some of the characters importance (while it really helped/changed my opinion on other character's importance).

Now time to replay it in asshole mode. There just wasn't enough asshole playing nice, now I want to get some lulz XD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
After replaying 5 chapters, I think Tony is my favorite character.

Also, in chapter 5, what did you people sell to who? On my first playthrough, I sold the wax thing to Tony, the security lock to Marie and later the snow ball to Tony again. During the second playthrough, I sold the glue to Charles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Idol of Polar Bears
Marche Tobaye wrote:
During the second playthrough, I sold the glue to Charles.

How? I talked to him twice; first time I got the red aura and restarted the chapter out of panic, second time I didn't get the red aura but he was like "OMG I H8 D2D SALZMEN GO AWAY >:c".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
Marche Tobaye wrote:
During the second playthrough, I sold the glue to Charles.

How? I talked to him twice; first time I got the red aura and restarted the chapter out of panic, second time I didn't get the red aura but he was like "OMG I H8 D2D SALZMEN GO AWAY >:c".

You need to choose your answers very carefully or he'll ask you to leave.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.
Well, I beat Last Window. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler: Rambling review no one will read the entirety of
I might as well say right away that while Last Window was pretty good, I think Hotel Dusk was significantly better.

Story: It's been said before, but it starts off far too slow, and even later in the game, things can kind of drag sometimes. The narrative just didn't seem as compelling this time around, even as personal as it is. Anyone else have the same feeling?

Where specific characters are concerned, my favorites were definitely Dylan and Will, followed closely by Tony, Marie and Rex. Dylan's just priceless because he keeps shifting back and forth between being helpful and being obnoxiously (and disturbingly) interested in your private affairs, as well as other people's! It's delicious just to watch, and the fact that he turned out to be a plant from Nile just made it even better!

Gotta be honest, Will was giving off the sleaziest vibes when I first met him, but that just made me interested (I especially loved those chilling smiles of his)! He didn't disappoint, either! Putting a gun to Kyle's back after finding the latter in his room, then pressing the verbal attack afterward...I don't exaggerate when I say that the confrontation between Kyle and Will was my favorite part of the game, where I felt the most interested and emotionally invested (not coincidentally, I thought the dialogue for that part outshone most of the rest of the game's script, as well).

As for Tony, I can see why people thought he was so similar to Louie, but I appreciate the differences between them. I didn't think much of him initially, but I liked him better after Kyle's "little talk" with him.

Marie, I always thought she was going to be an interesting character. And she was, but I actually liked her better when it was heavily implied she was a fraudster/murderer (is something wrong with me, or what!). Rex, too, got some of the more interesting dialogue in the game, but it's too bad he wasn't as important as a lot of us thought he'd be.

Surprisingly, I thought Kyle and Rachel's relationship was actually diminished in this game compared to Hotel Dusk. Their interactions consisted mainly of Kyle saying, "Look this stuff up," and her responding, "You got it." Yes, I know he did plenty of that in the original, but they actually found time for genuine conversations in that one. Heck, Kyle had more interesting chemistry with Marie than he did with Rachel.

Mila's appearance, ehhh...I LOVED her in the original, but as was mentioned before, she really added nothing to this game. Almost makes me wish she hadn't been included to begin with.

Music: Definitely some good stuff going on here (special mentions to Misty Time, Twilight Sad, City Dyed Purple, Sharp Edge, and Deepening Distrust), but the overall quality of Dusk's music was just higher, at least in my opinion.

Final point: There's a reason 90% of what I just said was devoted to blathering incoherently about the characters and story, and that is that Hotel Dusk shone because of its fantastic characters and dialogue. Last Window definitely had good things to offer, but as a whole, it just didn't measure up to the amazing package that Hotel Dusk was. To those of you actually made it through this wandering excuse for a review, thanks for reading! Hope you got any sense out of it.

Totally not my sig...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:06 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Agree with all that you said, shadowofedgeworth.
Spoiler:
Part of the reason the dialogue and characters are so much weaker in this game is definitely because the translation team is different. The US team did such a fantastic job the first time, and the European team couldn't really compare. Of course it's also partly just because the way the game is structured: the interrogation scenes this time feel a lot less in-depth, and you never really learn much about most of the characters. Also agree about Rachel and Mila, what a disappointment.

If there is one reason to play Last Window, however, it's for Claire. She can light up the whole damned building with that smile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:28 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: ...Hopefully someday... xD
Meh...Might as well try and give my own review.
Beat it today morning, BTW -,-'

Spoiler: This isn't THAT long, but still...
Story: Interesting to say at least.
I'm not sure do I like it more than HD, butit was pretty damn epic experience.
The beginning was FAR too slow, but I guess that's for teaching the newcomers he basics, right?
Meh, luckily it won't stay boring too long.

Luckily the storie was 'bout Kyle's pups, since after those few mentioning in HD of him,
I desperatley kept playing the game to learn more of him.
Now the whole circle on that one in my mind is closed. Amen and thank you.

In the end the story is thrilling and interesting, but I still wouldn't say it beats HD.
Then again, I'm not so sure that HD would be the winner either...
Both stories are just too fitting to their games and...
You get the idea. I just can't decide this one.

I still don't understand why it's titled as Last Window, though...I get the secret of the Cape West part, but I really don't get the window part...Explain, please.
Lets see...First part was HD - Room 215, so why not name it Cape West - Secret of Scarlet Star, or something like that?
Meh...Guess it's o use to cry 'bout it, but still...

Characters: Unlike the first game, there were some characters I didn't like.
And I take that as a plus.

Once again, you see that the first impresion is an outstanding force far beyond our understatement.
The firs impression I got from Frank was: Great...another cranky old gramps who does NOTHING more than just annoy you
and I thought that Betty would be one of those idiotic and annoying school bimbos.
Thank god misunderstanding is a known thing.

Music: Loved them.
They kept the music like in the HD and also seem to take it one step further.
Not every song now contains the Vibraphone and piano only with trumpet,
but there is many instruments more.
Truly fabulous.

There is one minus though.
There weren't ay tracks that gave me the feeling like the Dead Stare or Amber Sunset gave did in HD.
The Gullible lady and silent tears just weren't enough in my taste.
Those kinda..."happy sad songs" seem'd to shine only by being away, if you guys get what I mean.

Other: What I would have still wanted would have been more of those little puzzles.
Is it just me or does anyone feel like there wasn't that many puzzles as there were in HD?
Some moments I desperately wished for them to appear, like putting the red paper on the lamb,
or other things.
C'mon Kyle...Don't eat your food yourself...I wanna feed you...give me at least SOMETHING to do then pressing the crappy A button for crying out loud... T_T

The novel thing is just BRILLIANT!
So far I've just quickly checked what it is like and the lenght of it.
Man that thing is not only long, but also tells the things behind the scenes.
Extra points coming from the epilogue that it had, revealing what happened to characters.
Truly marvelous!...No...Truly ZINTASTIC!!

One more thing about the colors...It's nice to see that character ended up having all kind of colors,
red, grey, green etc on them and not just being blue like in HD.

Sum up:
+ Story and all characters
+ Music
+ The final puzles
- There is and end to everything and it ended
- Feeling that it could have given more

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:44 pm 
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness

Custom Title: They took some honey, from a tree...
Zinle wrote:
Meh...Might as well try and give my own review.

I still don't understand why it's titled as Last Window, though...I get the secret of the Cape West part, but I really don't get the window part...Explain, please.

It's named Last Window after

Spoiler: MAJOR SPOILERS
The last window Chris Hyde looked out of whilst waiting for Frank's signal. The window that Kyle looked through at the end of the game, too.

Crafty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: ...Hopefully someday... xD
^
Well...I had a feeling it would be 'cause of that,
but it just seem'd so small thing in a way...
But thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:53 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Walking the path of heaven, ruler of all
I also finished Last Window recently and I must say that I didn't like it that much in the beginning. It was to slow. Hotel Dusk was also slow but in that game I was fine with it. I relly loved walking around the hotel and talk to other people. But in Last Window I didn't find that as much entertaining. The biggest reason was that I didn't fell for the scenario of running around in your apartment house all day just talking to people.

But around halfway trough the game it started to become really awesome and was on part with Hotel Dusk again.

And my favorite character is Dylan. I mean
Spoiler:
I know that he was up to something from the very beginning and I based that on his looks only xD He looked like a guy that could murder someone(even thought he havent done that =(. )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:40 am 
Suspect
Suspect

Alright so I finally beat Last Window, I guess these are my quick thoughts on it.

Spoiler:
The game was pretty good, music was great and fitting, but ultimately I still think Hotel Dusk has a better story.

See one big reason is that I in general liked the characters from HD much more. I felt it was more enjoyable talking to them. And what's up with Rachel in LW? There's so little talk outside of the 'straight to business' stuff. It feels like they knew each other less than in HD. Talking to Ed more often was nice though.

Also, I really loved how everyone in Hotel Dusk was connected to the plot. I understand for LW there are characters that aren't meant to be part of the plot, like Claire and Sidney, but other characters that I thought would really be major ended up being minor, like Rex, and especially Betty. Claire was awesome though, I really liked her character.

The ending was a big one for me too. In Hotel Dusk you talk to nearly all the characters before you leave the place, but in LW you talk to like, Claire and Sidney, and Tony and Patrice and that's it. Everyone else vacated. And Dylan? Him working for Nile was pretty cool, but he's all like "K I'm outta here bye, I'll give you my answer later" and you never hear from him again, let alone is answer.

Also, a big reason why I liked HD more. Dunning's story for me personally, was way way sadder than Mrs. Patrice. I just couldn't sympathize for her, whereas I felt really sad for Dunning and his story about his daughter. I mean he waited at the Dusk so long, hoping she would one day return, and if he died while waiting then all the better right? He even slashed apart all his art works in anger. I guess I just felt more sympathetic for his love for his daughter than I did about the sob story from Mrs. Patrice.

And how Jenny returned in the end? That was a great ending.

There was also more sentimental value for me when Kyle talks to Dunning before leaving, as opposed to his chat with Patrice. It was pretty straightforward, but in HD they had a couple of heartfelt jokes that really cleared the air, like when Dunning repeats his little story in the end about Room 215 granting wishes, but as opposed to the beginning of the game where he actually tries to sell that story to Hyde, in the end it's a friendly reference to the whole ordeal they've been through.

LW had good points too though. Music was great and I really sympathized for Tony when he spilled the beans. And I really really enjoyed those moments in the game that weren't integral to the plot, like Christmas eve and how Hyde said Tony was his friend, and how much meaning those words alone held.

Interrogation music for both games was great though, can't really say one is better than the other.

And one thing that I did like much better in LW was the Cafe, over the Bar in HD. But then again I can attribute that to Claire being such a wonderful side character.

Oh yes, and about Mila's appearance. I think it was a nice touch, and while some of you might have felt it was totally unnecessary I felt it was good to have her show up as a sort of fan service. Although I agree they could have done more with her. I liked her drawing but I really would have preferred it if she had drawn him in his Red Crown jacket, as opposed to his suit. That would've been a greater form of fan service if you ask me.

Furthermore, I didn't really find any items which you could show to characters just to see what they would say. In HD I think there were more occasions where you could show unrelated items to characters and get a reply other than "what is this I don't even..."

BTW: The elevator puzzle was fricken hard lol.

Anyway, all in all a pretty good game.

Edit: Just read the epilogue, I suppose that does cover the question of Marie and Dylan. But it still felt a bit incomplete.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Custom Title: Heat Guy J
Unfortunately, I played both Last Window and Hotel Dusk in German, so I'm not entirely sure if I understand the plot in both of them 100% correct, but it's only hampered my ability to get through Hotel Dusk once or twice (Ja, apparently, "Etikett" is a label...I spent the entire time trying to give those three a wine bottle. That took forever). I did like the puzzles more in Last Window because they were more challenging and fun. But as everyone else has said, you don't really start to care about the characters until about near the end (and most of them are gone by then anyways).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Custom Title: I can't be the only one with this ship?
What happens when you unlock all the songs

I'm missing 4 and I almost have a perfect play through

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:09 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

Custom Title: Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy
EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:
What happens when you unlock all the songs

I'm missing 4 and I almost have a perfect play through

I'm pretty sure that the four spots that don't show up at the end of the jukebox are intentionally blank-- they don't unlock because there's nothing to unlock.

By the way-- has anyone read the confidential files? They're actually really really cool-- Summer might be a completely awful writer, but he certainly does his research. Kyle's backstory is surprisingly interesting.