Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 26 posts ]

Confusion over Fully Voice ActedTopic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

There's been a bunch of odd news cycling lately that says that Ace Attorney so I'm just going to debunk them in this topic.

"Ace Attorney 5 is going to be fully voice acted!"

I've heard nothing to support that. The cutscenes are going to be fully voice acted, as in the animated segments from BONES, and maybe a few small scenes (Think voice acting in Professor Layton). Just look at this video from the livestream lots of classic Blip-blip-blip going on during actual gameplay.

"The Decision to go fully voiced would polarize the fans"

Not quite. What's controversial is that they're changing the voice actors. Takumi will no longer play the Japanese voice of Phoenix. Takumi's not a qualified voice actor to the best of my knowledge. Even if he were qualified to do so, it'd be very time consuming and take him away from the rest of the project. (The original Japanese article also cited the age and the recorded quality as a reason to leave the old voice clips behind, but that was just a veil to further justify brining in a pro actor. Or rather, having the same voice actor for the cutscenes as for the Objection bubbles).

This also means that when GS5 comes stateside, Phoenix will also be done by a different voice actor. Ben Judd is in a similar state as Takumi as far as being an in house non-pro recording. But even further complicated by the fact that he doesn't work at Capcom anymore.

Edit: Capcom USA further confirms.

Dread Hellston wrote:
Saw some posts saying AA5 will have full voice acting - not the case. Just those iconic key phrases! Maybe a mistranslated interview?

Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: Confusion over Fully Voice ActedTopic%20Title

1000% Knight

Man, after VLR and Tales of the Abyss and Professor Layton and Time Travelers and Ni no Kuni, no voice-acting is gonna be weird xP

Tbh, I'd rather not have it. It'd take away the specialness of the voice clips.
Plus you can't do fun stuff like "Don't '?' me!"
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

I'd never really expected full voicing. Would've been nice especially with games like tales of the abyss or Devil Survivor Overclocked containing almost full voicing was hoping it was setting a new trend for text-heavy games.

Still no matter, I just hope they don't get the guy from UMVC3 to voice Phoenix, I felt he sounded too young (especially so for new older Phoenix) and his objection lacked conviction.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I'm glad they're keeping the voices confined to the cutscenes. A lot of the mood would be changed if voices were in the actual gameplay.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Pierre wrote:
I'd never really expected full voicing. Would've been nice especially with games like tales of the abyss or Devil Survivor Overclocked containing almost full voicing was hoping it was setting a new trend for text-heavy games.

Tales of the Abyss finally voiced their damn skits? I've recently been playing the undubbed version for the PS2, and the amount of voiced lines is astounding. Also, Virtue's Last Reward is fully voiced so text based games are getting more and more vocal as of late.

Quote:
Still no matter, I just hope they don't get the guy from UMVC3 to voice Phoenix, I felt he sounded too young (especially so for new older Phoenix) and his objection lacked conviction.

I can't agree with this anymore than I already agree with this statement. Mahvel's VA for Phoenix was so poorly cast that I hope he never finds another voice acting gig anytime soon. Joking. But he definitely was pretty weak.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Blah!

Blak The Great wrote:
Also, Virtue's Last Reward is fully voiced so text based games are getting more and more vocal as of late.

VLR isn't fully voice acted. AFAIK, everything but the puzzle rooms are. Granted, that's probably the majority of the game, but that's still not fully voiced.

I think the fact that 3DS carts can have the capacity to hold several gigabytes of data really helps. I don't recall any DS games that had a lot of voice acting other than Layton (which is not much, but still a lot more than any DS games I know of).

1000% Knight

blahmoomoo wrote:
Blak The Great wrote:
Also, Virtue's Last Reward is fully voiced so text based games are getting more and more vocal as of late.

VLR isn't fully voice acted. AFAIK, everything but the puzzle rooms are. Granted, that's probably the majority of the game, but that's still not fully voiced.

Enough of VLR is voice that you're basically just nitpicking xP The story sections alone are massive; 3DS apparently have room to store a loooooot of voiced dialogue.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Quote:
Tales of the Abyss finally voiced their damn skits?

As far as I know, the localized 3DS version remains with unvoiced skits. Thank god I imported the game from Japan, including a Japanese 3DS .... voicing the skits would've cost way too much money. Also, better talent. :redd:

Quote:
Takumi will no longer play the Japanese voice of Phoenix.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.... I thought Phoenix was voiced by the guy who does Honda in YuGiOh! And I thought Takumi voiced Mitsurugi...

C-A

Well, Silliconera did write the following (based on this article) :

Quote:
Another topic brought up was the subject of voices, which appeared in the promotional video shown in the TGS. This will be the first time voice actors will be used in-game (previously, they only appeared on the DS trailers). The staff are aware that there will be much resistance to the doing away of the bleep-bloops of the series, but say that the change was made after much consideration.

The first reason for this was that, due to the 3DS’ surround sound capabilities, bringing over the DS sounds as they are would have been extremely difficult due to tuning problems.

Another concern was that the staff wanted the game sequences to work with the anime scenes, which are also fully voiced.

So, either they did a rather critical mistranslation (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest), or we got the information wrong (the lack of voices in the TGS wouldn't be a good indication at all, since voice acting is one of the very last things to be done during development, and since the game won't be released before 2013, September would've been way too early for anything but basic voice-acting).
The person who wrote the article may also simply have ''over-interpreted'', or simply abused of illegal substances I can't really name here as I don't want to get banned for it :p

Personally, I'm gonna wait for an official statement from the developers on that one before I believe either. I certainly won't be disappointed, since I don't really care whether it's got voice acting or not, I mean, other than just during the animated scenes.

I'm almost tempted to wish it's not, as it'd make localisation even more expensive, and that's never a good thing with Capcom... :yuusaku:
ImageImageImage

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

L~A wrote:
Well, Silliconera did write the following (based on this article) :

Quote:
Another topic brought up was the subject of voices, which appeared in the promotional video shown in the TGS. This will be the first time voice actors will be used in-game (previously, they only appeared on the DS trailers). The staff are aware that there will be much resistance to the doing away of the bleep-bloops of the series, but say that the change was made after much consideration.

The first reason for this was that, due to the 3DS’ surround sound capabilities, bringing over the DS sounds as they are would have been extremely difficult due to tuning problems.

Another concern was that the staff wanted the game sequences to work with the anime scenes, which are also fully voiced.

So, either they did a rather critical mistranslation (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest), or we got the information wrong (the lack of voices in the TGS wouldn't be a good indication at all, since voice acting is one of the very last things to be done during development, and since the game won't be released before 2013, September would've been way too early for anything but basic voice-acting).
The person who wrote the article may also simply have ''over-interpreted'', or simply abused of illegal substances I can't really name here as I don't want to get banned for it :p

Personally, I'm gonna wait for an official statement from the developers on that one before I believe either. I certainly won't be disappointed, since I don't really care whether it's got voice acting or not, I mean, other than just during the animated scenes.

I'm almost tempted to wish it's not, as it'd make localisation even more expensive, and that's never a good thing with Capcom... :yuusaku:

Pretty sure Silliconera just derped. They had misinformation before. Ash read the article and he's fluent in Japanese. Had they said anything about fluent voice acting, he'd have told us. :yuusaku:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Gettin' Old!

Blak The Great wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Tales of the Abyss finally voiced their damn skits? I've recently been playing the undubbed version for the PS2, and the amount of voiced lines is astounding. Also, Virtue's Last Reward is fully voiced so text based games are getting more and more vocal as of late.

Quote:

I can't agree with this anymore than I already agree with this statement. Mahvel's VA for Phoenix was so poorly cast that I hope he never finds another voice acting gig anytime soon. Joking. But he definitely was pretty weak.

Sorry but no the skits are not voiced on 3DS which seems weird to me because the text continues as if it was no pausing or pushing A to continue so better pay attention during em.

I was just saying it was good to see 3DS is capable of having such levels of voice acting in text-heavy competent games and how it's becoming a trend. More work for VA's I guess.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The cart of a 3DS can hold up to 8 GB, the equivalent of a dual layered DVD, double that of the DS cart, which I believe held a max of 2-4 GB.

Finally Nintendo is catching up to the most basic/cheap smartphone model size!

I wouldn't be too excited for full voice acting. There is a certain charm to the game that will be lost if everything is voice acted, and that moment when you start objecting won't be as impactful because there's speech everywhere.

Also the replacement of the original voice actors can be a great move or a very bad one depending on the new cast.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

...Am I the only one who doesn't mind the UMvC3 Phoenix voice? :I

I thought it suited him pretty well, he could use some improvement but the potential is there.
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

OBJECTION!

Bad Player wrote:
Man, after VLR and Tales of the Abyss and Professor Layton and Time Travelers and Ni no Kuni, no voice-acting is gonna be weird xP

Tbh, I'd rather not have it. It'd take away the specialness of the voice clips.
Plus you can't do fun stuff like "Don't '?' me!"

I will miss Ben Judd's 'Objection!'s as Nick :(
You could say 'Don't "Huh?" me!' but thats nowhere near as funny :(
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Nice name, isn't it?

Yaragorm wrote:

I thought it suited him pretty well, he could use some improvement but the potential is there.

Mr. Riegel did a great job as Phoenix, IMO. The only reason his voice is a bit eh is because it was his first time. If he comes back, he has plenty of opportunities to improve.

So yeah, you're not the only one that doesn't mind. :jake:
PSN: Davidgui | Wii U Username: D-Man218

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

D-Man wrote:
Yaragorm wrote:

Mr. Riegel did a great job as Phoenix, IMO. The only reason his voice is a bit eh is because it was his first time. If he comes back, he has plenty of opportunities to improve.

So yeah, you're not the only one that doesn't mind. :jake:

Both of you are crazy. Since I don't agree with your opinions I need to force my own on both of you to make myself feel better for having the best opinion. Go kill yourselves right now please if you don't mind.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

I liked Riegel, my only problem is that he sounded a bit young for Phoenix (he probably wasn't given his age before doing the recordings), so I'm not sure if he could pull off Phoenix' "cooler" side too. I mean, imagine Donattelo-Hobo. That'd be just hysterical. X'D

But, seriously, as long as he can make himself sound older (And I think he ca. He's a professional), I'd totally not mind to see him return as Nick's official voice!

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Update: Capcom USA confirms.
https://twitter.com/Brelston/statuses/2 ... 4396402688
Saw some posts saying AA5 will have full voice acting - not the case. Just those iconic key phrases! Maybe a mistranslated interview?
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Self-proclaimed smart person.

I'm personally in the camp of people who didn't mind Sam Riegel's impression of Phoenix too much, though I don't think he'll necessarily be Phoenix's official voice for all the future games. Eshiro stated that UMVC3 has a different director (obviously) so it's up to Yamazaki (or most likely someone in America, not sure how it works there) to decide. Plus, a fighting game is a very different field to voice compared to a courtroom drama.

Riegel has a good list of game character voices under his belt, not least fighting ones, so it would make sense that they wanted someone who could pull off the grunts and yells while sounding passable as a young Phoenix struggling around the fighting arena, and not someone who fit the role of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney who just put a courtroom bomber in his place. And for that, Riegel works okay to me. I'm just not sure he'd fit the bill of the latter part.

But since Wooster's news confirmed it's limited to cutscenes and key phrases, we'll have to see how it ends up.

Gettin' Old!

CHRISTOPHER SABAT FOR PHOENIX!!!!!

I'm trying to think what kinda voice would suit old fashioned Hobo-Hodo but could get more intense too.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've been thinking about it, and I think part of my problem with Sam Riegel isn't even his actual voice. His voice actually sounds like a good Phoenix. It was mainly the way he spoke. I found his delivery really wooden. That might have been because it was a fighting game, but I cringe whenever I hear that "No Justice, No Dream, No Hope! It's Time to pay for your crimes!" line. His "Objection" and "Take That" were actually pretty good.

So I think rather than arguing against Sam Riegel specifically, I'm going to say that I want them to get a voice actor who can read the lines well. I've heard a lot of fantastic voice work in animation and games, but I've also heard plenty of terrible voice work too. Because its Ace Attorney, the cutscenes will no doubt have tons of "quiet talking in a room" segments as well as shouting moments. So that's complicated territory. But if we get a clip of Sam Reigel doing an awesome job, I'll be happy. I just haven't seen that from his Phoenix work yet.

Remember the voicework from Star Fox Adventures? That's what I don't want in GS5.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Programmer

You saying that he didn't get proper direction?
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

What did he do this time...?

Perhaps an "iconic key phrase" would be, for example, when Edgeworth says "You Fail!" ?
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

henke37 wrote:
You saying that he didn't get proper direction?

I think its possible. I haven't heard his other work, but some have mentioned that its really good, so its possible that he could have just not been given proper direction.

Its also possible he just isn't that good, so like I said I'd have to hear something positive before being on board with him.

Quote:
Perhaps an "iconic key phrase" would be, for example, when Edgeworth says "You Fail!" ?

I think they just mean the "action" words - "Objection!", "Hold It", "Take That", etc.

What did he do this time...?

Quote:
I think they just mean the "action" words - "Objection!", "Hold It", "Take That", etc.

Why would it be worth announcing if that's the complete same as the other games...?
And I meant that the 'fatal' or 'final' contradiction would be a cut-scene. So in that case I refrenced, that certain part would be a cut-scene.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Danchat wrote:
Quote:

Why would it be worth announcing if that's the complete same as the other games...?
And I meant that the 'fatal' or 'final' contradiction would be a cut-scene. So in that case I refrenced, that certain part would be a cut-scene.

Because they are not just voicing the key phrases, but also certain cutscenes.
Like the animated cutscenes.

I actually wonder why people thought the game would be fully voiced. I don't remember the exact wording from the previous articles, but I'm sure it was mentioned that some scenes would be voiced.

C-A
Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes