Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 32 posts ]

Layton Brothers Mystery Room discussionTopic%20Title

Art Person

I think this is the appropriate thread for this... (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Well, the game's been out in English, and it seems people (like myself) have already completed the game's 10 cases.
If anyone wants to talk about the game, feel free.

(Please use spoiler tags for information that may give away case details)

I think the game overall was very entertaining, and felt like a proper handheld game.
The puns were spectacular! (There were so many!) And after playing I think that I'll be speaking like Lucy for a while, saying "were" instead of "was" XD.
Re: Layton Brothers Mystery Room discussionTopic%20Title

I wish I WERE the best.

It's a rather spectacular game and I'm hoping they're planning to make a sequel or update the game with more cases, purchasable or not.

Speaking of which, there were some suspects I would have liked to meet such as
Spoiler:
Randal Mann the sound man, for obvious reasons of course.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Me too! They should allow us to interview every witnesses just for the fun. :edgy: And for me they have to make a sequel! I feel that some characters were left to minimal apeareance due to the changing of the main characters.

Spoiler:
Florence Sich, the janitor, Justin's Sidequick. They all figure on the web site and literally appear in only one case where their role are limited to: "Here the case and Yeah Al's like that" at the end. The development of Hilda was okay. But The end felt like really rushed. I feel like they should had make another case connected to the jigsaw murder. for me 3 wasn't enough.

Please don't hit me...

Art Person

The game's internal files still have heaps of blank spots, so I'm hoping that the sequel will simply be more DLC cases!

Spoiler: Response to AnsweringNOW (Case 5 Spoilers)
I agree, there were a lot of characters I wanted to see appear in game (With all of those back stories), but were simply filler-ins for Lucy's "hunch" to become more tricky. I would've never guessed the killer was DeBonair though... I honestly thought he was a filler as well!

A Seeker of Truth

LOVED Layton Brothers; it felt a lot like Ace Attorney, but with enough Layton-esque style to make it feel distinct :phoenix: Still, does anyone else think that they should've had SOME sort of penalty system therein? It felt, I dunno WEIRD to be able to present whatever the heck I wanted with no punishment for it :meekins: Maybe that was just me though :will:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Dracarys!

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Still, does anyone else think that they should've had SOME sort of penalty system therein? It felt, I dunno WEIRD to be able to present whatever the heck I wanted with no punishment for it :meekins: Maybe that was just me though :will:

I think that's kind of the general consensus when it comes to this game. It was great except for the fact that there was never any real urgency, because you could present whatever the heck you wanted until you got it right. It was pretty much impossible to lose this game.

A Seeker of Truth

Ropfa wrote:
GentlemanGamer wrote:
Still, does anyone else think that they should've had SOME sort of penalty system therein? It felt, I dunno WEIRD to be able to present whatever the heck I wanted with no punishment for it :meekins: Maybe that was just me though :will:

I think that's kind of the general consensus when it comes to this game. It was great except for the fact that there was never any real urgency, because you could present whatever the heck you wanted until you got it right. It was pretty much impossible to lose this game.

In that way, it was about as close to an actual novel as Visual Novels get; like a novel, there's no way to 'lose', you just keep reading till you reach the end. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that; I felt a bit like I was nitpicking at an otherwise enthralling game.

Still, issues aside it was a wonderfully done game :phoenix: Personally I'm pining for a sequel; I'm curious to see a bit about the relationship between Hershel and Alfendi, and I get the feeling it'd be explored if there ever was one :minuki:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

The Minecraft Attorney

I've finished the game and I was mostly satisfied by the whole experience.

Only thing is that the game should have had a few extra downloadable cases to lengthen it by a bit. :yuusaku:

A Seeker of Truth

Glacius wrote:
I've finished the game and I was mostly satisfied by the whole experience.

Only thing is that the game should have had a few extra downloadable cases to lengthen it by a bit. :yuusaku:

*sighs* That would've been nice, but I'm not sure what they could've added as the game kind of had an overarching plot to it, even though many of the individual cases were completely unrelated. Maybe a couple more cases in the middle portion? :yuusaku: Well in any case, as is it's already a great game as is, and given its fabulous sales thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel was on its way :hobohodo:

I wish I WERE the best.

SuperAj3 wrote:
The game's internal files still have heaps of blank spots, so I'm hoping that the sequel will simply be more DLC cases!

Spoiler: Response to AnsweringNOW (Case 5 Spoilers)
I agree, there were a lot of characters I wanted to see appear in game (With all of those back stories), but were simply filler-ins for Lucy's "hunch" to become more tricky. I would've never guessed the killer was DeBonair though... I honestly thought he was a filler as well!

How do you even access the game's internal files anyway? I'm curious.

And now I already want the game to be updated with more files. Maybe they'll reuse the beta characters shown in the promo trailer of the game.

Court Records Copywriting Manager

I loved the game! There were a few things that I wish were expanded upon...Like the relationship between Hilda and Alfendi, and who his MOM is!
Spoiler:
I also wish they had expanded upon Alfendi's split personality disorder...And how Layton had raised such a rude son! He (The original Alfendi) is definitely not a gentleman if you ask me!

I actually resorted to presenting every possible thing at some points...So I don't really mind the lack of a penalty system.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that Diane looks a lot like Flora when the former is thinking?

A Seeker of Truth

lasers.frogs wrote:
I loved the game! There were a few things that I wish were expanded upon...Like the relationship between Hilda and Alfendi, and who his MOM is!
Spoiler:
I also wish they had expanded upon Alfendi's split personality disorder...And how Layton had raised such a rude son! He (The original Alfendi) is definitely not a gentleman if you ask me!

They purposely LEAVE those plot holes so as to make you feel like you need to MUST play the sequel so you can find out the answers; not the most original plotting strategy, but an effective one. :garyuu: You can bet your buttons I'll be buying the inevitable sequel Day One, in any case :minuki:

The dwarf geeky panda!

lasers.frogs wrote:
Spoiler:

I actually resorted to presenting every possible thing at some points...So I don't really mind the lack of a penalty system.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that Diane looks a lot like Flora when the former is thinking?

I could totally see it.

Spoiler: My theories about what happen in the Layton household
FLASHBACK

Layton: :hobohodo: I'm finally home honey! You won't believe what happened.

8 years old Alfendi: DID ANYONE REALLY DIED THIS TIME! HOW DID HE/SHE DIED? WAS IT MURDER? WHAT WAS IT? BRILLANT? GORE? OR VERY ELEGANT? CAN I HAVE THE SKULL? YOU KNOW I LOVE SKULLS FATHER! THEY ARE SO MAGNIFICENT! SO UNIQUE. SO POETIC! PLEASE FATHER LET ME HAVE IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! :karma:

Layton: :nick-sweat:

Emmy Layton's wife: :adrian: You know you should pass more time with your own son rather than this Luke boy.

Layton: :payne: I guess I could take you with me next time.

Alfendi: YAY! :gant-jazz:

Flora: What?! :chinami: Why Luke and Al can go but not me?! I'M OLDER THAN THEM!

Luke: :larry: N-N-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Then a new series was born and Level-5 still make millions.

Hey just realise that Alfendi have a sister.

Spoiler: Curious village
Since Layton adopted Flora and she's way underuse, we could easily introduce her in Mystery Room without too much spoiler!

Please don't hit me...

Art Person

Shao-Mae wrote:
Spoiler: My theories about what happen in the Layton household
Emmy Layton's wife: :adrian: You know you should pass more time with your own son rather than this Luke boy.

Emmy as Layton's wife haha! I stopped thinking that a while ago.
Spoiler: Azran Legacies spoiler
Emmy's Layton's cousin, so that's definitely out of the question :bellboy:

Happy Maria

Four years have passed since the last post,but I feel the need to bring this back from the dead. Spoilers below for the whole game.

-----

Spoiler: ALSO SOME MILD SOJ SPOILERS SOOO
It was bloody fantastic! I loved this game to death. Putting aside a few presentation problems at the first couple of cases,this game was really freaking consistent in its greatness. If I had to rank the cases,it would go like this:

0<1<7<2<4<3<5<9<6<8

0 was just a 2 minute opening and was just kinda meh. Lucy looks like a full blown AA character though and I love how Barton is the commissioner.

1 was a simple tutorial case and did its job fine. Not much to say except the mystery device was rather ambiguous in terms of appearance and the green and red arrows as well as the stone heart confused the hell out of me. Also the music isn't very Laytonesque but it could fit AA very well.

7 was alright. Mostly puzzle solving. It felt the most Laytonesque of all the cases. Only thing of note is the ending

2 is somewhat underwhelming after you finish it. The culprit is really obvious and this was where I realised we didn't even get to speak to any other suspects. Poor Bingo didn't even get a role. He was just...there. Potty Prof appeared here and was fantastic.

4 has a really good opening and is also surprisingly gory. Guy got hit in the head with an axe. Ouch. After that though catching the culprit wasn't that much fun. Etista's role was a surprise though. Other than that this case was just alright.

3 is really good. The twist that the victim made the killer shoot her without him knowing is fantastic. Roscoe is a good red herring and I genuinely was confused the whole time. Very interesting.

5 is a simple case,like Turnabout Samurai,but develops as you progress. Even the final nail in the coffin is similar to 1-3. I really wish I could've talked to Randall (you can guess why), and the way Dread was killed reminds me of 6-2 in a way. de Bonair is an interesting villain as you only meet him at the end. He reminds me of 6-2's villain as well. Cruel guy killed a 19 year old,but wasn't even man enough to directly do it.

9 is a fantastic final case. The setting of Forbodium Castle is great and the solving of the Makepeaces' murders is great. Only problems are that this isn't that emotional and the catching of the culprit was underwhelming. Guy's a police officer,but he doesn't even attempt to escape? Also,the ending left some stuff unsolved,which disappointed me. Other than that this I enjoyed getting Alfendi off the hook. The twist that Potty was Al was incredible.

6 is very interesting,because we don't know a goddamn thing about it. Who killed who? Sure,we know that Barbarossa was the last to die,but who killed the others? He didn't have a motive to murder them. How did Agonni die? Why did Diane orchestrate the whole thing? All we know is that the crooks 'oiked her father',as she put it. Very mysterious. Even the ending isn't a real confrontation. You just try and figure things out with Uttar's help.

8 is by far my favourite. It's a simple case in the end,and the characters all being animals is cute,but I think the twist that Dog was Makepeace really puts this case in a new light. He hung up the millionaire on his coat stand four years ago. Really creepy. Also,wouldn't that make Hen the housekeeper the prime suspect? And did Justin orchestrate this one too? We may never know,but I really enjoyed this nevertheless.

Anyway,that was Layton Brothers. Was it good? Read the first sentence,you bastard. I absolutely recommend it. Such a good game. I hope a sequel is made for this. Then I shall be satisfied to the tenth.MMMMMMPPPPHHHH
:beef:

The video game boy; the one who wins

Really liked this, I feel like I should rewatch it some time because I've forgotten a lot of details. What stuck out to me the most was some of the characters.
Spoiler:
I loved Hilda, Diane Makepeace, Chico, Lucy and Alfendi... especially his Potty Prof. persona. That it was his original perosnality was probably my favourite twists, even though I had already read it before I watched the game (one of the major reasons I became interested in watching it, as it were). That, and that Constable Barton had become commissioner :will:

I like the dialogue, and the music, and that it has some of the Layton feeling but a bit more "raw", and I definitely think it has its own personal tone and atmosphere.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

You should not watch it! Play it! It's quite fun to play,really. You're missing out on the majority of the experience.

I'd love a sequel, but to be honest, I think Level-5 are just going to quietly ignore Layton Brothers' existence. I hope I'm wrong, and there's at least a passing reference in Lady Layton.

Happy Maria

I mean,Katrielle IS Al's sister. It'd be a shame if he wasn't even mentioned. Maybe Lucy could make a cameo

Lucy would be a good cameo. I'm not so sure Al would make such a good cameo; I feel like he might not fit given that Lady Layton seems light-hearted and humorous.
Spoiler:
I can imagine even the calmer Al having some choice words about Katrielle communicating with a dog.
I feel like Professor Layton apparently being missing in Lady Layton could tie-in well with Layton Brothers as well - I got the impression that Al and Hershel have a poor relationship, and Hershel's disappearance could be one potential reason for that.

Happy Maria

Actually,I have noticed something strange.

Spoiler: Ending of this game+Unwound Future and Azran Legacy
We clearly see Barton on the phone talking to Hershel in the end part. So that means that he disappeared only after this game. Very suspicious.

And I myself think that Potty Prof would be a great assistant in the likes of Don Paolo and 'Prof. Sycamore'.

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:

Spoiler: Ending of this game+Unwound Future and Azran Legacy
We clearly see Barton on the phone talking to Hershel in the end part. So that means that he disappeared only after this game. Very suspicious.

And I myself think that Potty Prof would be a great assistant in the likes of Don Paolo and 'Prof. Sycamore'.

Spoiler: Response
Do we have any confirmation that Lady Layton takes place after Layton Brothers? I was wondering if perhaps Hershel went missing around the time Makepeace was killed.

A villainous assistant like Don Paolo could be fun, but he was "cartoonishly" evil, which is why I think he (or someone like him) would fit into Lady Layton.

Happy Maria

Well,that could depend. For all we know,Layton Brothers could be noncanon even.

I think Potty Prof was a fun assistant in the last case because he kept ridiculing everyone. I think they could make it work.

I think Potty Prof was a fun assistant in the last case because he kept ridiculing everyone. I think they could make it work.

Spoiler:
Non-canon is the route I think Level-5 are going to go down, I think. I hope I'm wrong.

To clarify my opinion; Don Paolo was for the most part, as I said earlier, kind of Saturday morning cartoon evil, which fit the tone of the Layton games, which seems to be the same tone Lady Layton is going for. Al was a fun assistant, (and while I personally prefer Placid, I do wish old Al had a little more screentime) but, snide jabs aside, he's portrayed as more serious than Don Paolo, he's legitimately frightening at times with his temper and threats (and liking for murder), which I why I wonder how well he'd actually fit into Lady Layton. Just my opinion though. :phoenix:

Phoenix Soul wrote:

Spoiler:
Non-canon is the route I think Level-5 are going to go down, I think. I hope I'm wrong.

Spoiler: Layton's Mystery Journey.
I was wrong. :D Mystery Room is officially canon.

Happy Maria

Phoenix Soul wrote:
Phoenix Soul wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler: Layton's Mystery Journey.
I was wrong. :D Mystery Room is officially canon.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I started it some time back, and was ecstatic to see the canonicity of the game now. Hurrah! :D

Enoshima Junko-chan!

So I thought Layton’s Mystery Journey was good. In discussing it, a few people have recommended this game, so I downloaded it for iOS and gave it a go. I enjoy the personalities of the characters as well as the approach to solving the mysteries. I also like how words are shot at characters during the questioning sequences, and the characters recoil as though they’re taking physical damage, like Ace Attorney. I also like the heart guarded by stone to represent the will of the suspects.

I don’t like the name puns because I think they’re not subtle, nor do I like Lucy’s grammar. Also, it’s annoying to go back into the deductions menu if you want to search for a different kind of evidence. However, I think it’s a good way to pace solving the mystery.

I love Alfendi’s lanky design. It’s easy to imagine him with Inspector Cabanela’s theme music.
On the topic of music, it’s really good! I’m getting the soundtrack when I finish the game.

Spoiler: First and Second Cases
In the free version of the iOS game, you get the sandwich and apartment murder cases. I personally thought that the idea of a dying message in the sandwich case was silly. I don’t expect the victim to be able to spell her killer’s name using her sandwich ingredients. The real purpose - to hide a smell - was actually a great way to solve the case.

For the apartment murder case, I love the misdirection with the clock hand. But an ice weapon? Seems far-fetched to me.
My favourite part about this case was seeing Alfendi’s “dark side.” I find it very intriguing. Having fun bought the full game now, I look forward to see more of him.

TL;DR I’m going to play the whole game now. Alfendi is definitely the most interesting character.

Happy Maria

I'm glad you're enjoying it! The first two cases are pretty simple compared to the rest of the game, but rest assured that the game will just get even better from here on out. The next one, from what I remember, is also one of my favourites. The music is pretty great, though I don't think the name puns are any less subtle than AA's and I think Lucy's accent (not grammar) is just a nice touch. Makes her more memorable.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Yeah I should correct myself and say that I don’t like Lucy’s accent with her saying “were” instead of “was.” But other than that I don’t hate her accent. It makes her stand out.
Having beaten the game and now on my second play already, here’s my thoughts!
Spoiler:
I love the twist in case 3. It’s so easy to overlook the possibility of the victim placing the button in the trash instead of Strapping.
Case 4: I saw the corpse being controlled like a marionette coming. My screen brightness was too low that I couldn’t see the shape of the stain.
Case 5: It’s Recipe for Turnabout!
-What the witness saw was a fake death to confuse them.
-The cause of death was drinking poisoned coffee (or was it tea?).
-Listening to the radio is a clue to solving the case.
-The killer is caught because they knew what the poison’s container looked like when they shouldn’t have.
I love it though. It’s great!
I don’t remember much about case 6 other than the puzzle where you had to pour water on the fire in a specific order. I mean, I found that weird but the puzzle itself was good.
Case 7: I love the oppressive atmosphere in this one, and the twist in which one victim was found to have ingested a soporific, but that was a misdirection since the victim was poisoned at the same time. Sounds like a turnabout fit for Ace Attorney.
Case 8: I honestly don’t remember this one much, but I like how you interrogated two suspects.
Case 9: I had trouble figuring out that Diane was shot from the staircase. When it came to solving the four-year-old case, I don’t see the reason to deduce that Lawson is the killer. But one thing I do like is the free investigation section at the end of the case. Since Alfendi can’t help her, Lucy has to do the investigation without him highlighting objects of interest for her. I like that because it’s not a contrived increase of difficulty.
Speaking of Alfendi and Lucy, I don’t like how Lucy eventually gets mildly annoyed after a few cases of Alfendi’s personality switching. He seemed unstable in that state, so I wouldn’t take it so easygoing.
I’m glad that the “dark” side of Alfendi is actually his default personality, since that’s the most interesting part of his two personalities.

So in short, a good game. I have a feeling I’ll like it more after a second play.

Happy Maria

Glad you liked the game! It's definitely more enjoyable to me, even more than the main series ones.

Spoiler:
Yes, case 3 is by far one of the best just because of that ending twist. Never could've saw that coming.

Huh, interesting, I never noticed the parallels between case 5 and 3-3, though it also resembles 1-3 in that it takes place in a studio, a snooty lady is the main suspect at first, and the producer is the killer with their motive involving blackmailing and them being caught by a slip of the tongue.

You might be confusing case 6 and 7. 6 is the one with the gangsters and 7 is the investigation one with no murder till the end.

Fun fact, in case 8, you can technically accuse everyone and thus have multiple interrogations with all suspects.

Also a small error in case 3, the castle is called Redmond castle but in cases 8-9 it's called Forbodium Castle.

You'll definitely like it more on the second play, though.

Spoiler: Layton Anime
https://preview.redd.it/zhw1hzm21pp21.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=f65428e5bc0999f80b3aa6776c0140075152f79a.

Apparently that's all we see of them though.

Happy Maria

Spoiler:
Wait what, really? That's kinda disappointing. Pity, too. Was looking forward to seeing the epic crossover.

Also that reminds me I need to get back to my replay of this. Case 4 killed the enjoyment I was having and I sort of gave up then but that's the biggest obstacle, I think.
Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)