Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 1 of 1[ 21 posts ]

Yoshi's SpritesTopic%20Title

Hello all! I am not totally new here, but I'd like to disassociate myself from my previous account (If you're genuinely curious, I'll tell you). I joined this site In '08, (I think), and had a small bad gallery, but now that I've had a chance to improve a bit, I don't feel ashamed showing what I've got.

Spoiler: Canon Character Revamps
April May: I always thought her sprite looked rather crappy for someone who was supposed to be beautiful. However, I kinda strayed too far away from the Phoenix Wright style.
12 colors+bg

Lotta Hart: She always looked like a pale bug to me, which bugged me.
15 colors+bg

Spoiler: Original Characters
Dylan Quint: His name comes from "Delinquent," and he is the "attorney" to the game I probably will never make called Dylan Quint: Not an Attorney.
14 colors+bg
Image Image

Homer Unbatt: His name comes from "Home Run Bat," and he is one of the victims. Don't know if I'll finish this cause you know, he's dead.
15 colors+bg

Theold Coachman: He is the manager of the team that Homer plays on.
13 colors+bg

Don't forget to like and subscribe and retweet... Wait.

Last edited by Yoshi on Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
Re: Yoshi's SpritesTopic%20Title

Art Person

I love these sprites so much! Your style is so smooth!
I can't wait to see more!

Ace Procrastinator

These are rad

Wow, dude! That's impressive.

Peace and Love!

Wow I love your sprites! Dylan Quint is really great!

Thanks for the love everyone! Don't have anything new to show yet, but soon. Very soon.

Couldn't find a rule about double posting, but here, have a grinning pose.

Also, here is the manager to Homer Unbatt's team, Theold Coachman. Don't think I am entirely ready to tackle full custom bodies or animations in this style yet.
13 colors plus background.

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think the logo on the cap is supposed to be.

Last edited by Yoshi on Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy Maria

I thought it was a spider but on closer examination that's a crab/lobster.

Yoshi wrote:
Also, here is the manager to Homer Unbatt's team, Theold Coachman. Don't think I am entirely ready to tackle full custom bodies or animations in this style yet.

Quote:

Quote:

:beef: :spit: Holy F-word, how did you do this? I always have serious problems with keeping to limited palette and making a highly-detailed sprite at the same time. Hats off.

i feel pretty

This is seriously impressive. While I can tell they're mostly frankensprites (I'm pretty sure there's some scratch work going on here too), with the exception of some obvious details it's seriously hard to tell where you sourced the parts from. They seem nothing like their bases, and are clearly their own unique characters, which is exactly what all frankensprites should strive to be.

Southern Corn wrote:
I thought it was a spider but on closer examination that's a crab/lobster.

You're the third person to tell me crab, so I am officially making it a crab now.

Darth Wiader wrote:
:beef: :spit: Holy F-word, how did you do this? I always have serious problems with keeping to limited palette and making a highly-detailed sprite at the same time. Hats off.

Thank you very much! Please forgive me how long this turned out to be. I wrote another massive thing about color reduction, but I didn't want to overkill it.

Spoiler: How I did my sprite
ImageImage

I've noticed that a majority of the artists here usually have their sprites with 50+ colors, which to me, I don't consider that being a sprite. The Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice series have theirs in the 16 - 32 ballpark, which I strive to be in. I'm a tad old school when it comes to this sort of thing, so I try to make them as low as possible.

First off, I use Paint to sprite, and Paint.NET for colors. I like to keep my sprites 15 colors or under because the background counts as one as well. This means you have to get crafty with your color ramps, as you can see above.

My method usually goes like this. 5 skin tones plus 1 highlight if necessary, and 1 outline. Primary color is about 3, then everything else ranges from 1 - 3. Of course there are exceptions if your character has very little color, you can obviously add more than 3. I'd say no more than 5 though.

With this specific sprite, he has 4 skin, 3 reds, 4 grays, 1 green, and outline. The white of the shirt is also in his face, and some of his skin color works with the red, as seen on the baseball cap. The Outline of the skin is also being shared with the outline of the red. This guy was kind of easy, considering his hair matched his shirt, and the skin tone shared a color ramp with the reds.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful at all, I don't really know how to explain things well, haha.

Lind wrote:
This is seriously impressive. While I can tell they're mostly frankensprites (I'm pretty sure there's some scratch work going on here too), with the exception of some obvious details it's seriously hard to tell where you sourced the parts from. They seem nothing like their bases, and are clearly their own unique characters, which is exactly what all frankensprites should strive to be.

Haha, I love the Dam Son meme. Yeah, I've done a lot of face spriting in the past, but never really attempted anything below shoulder length. I'm not quite confident in my ability to sprite accurate anatomy yet, so I kind of avoid it if possible, hence the obvious body splicing. I'm glad you like them, though!

Art Person

Your ability to stay within the GBA colour limit is incredible! (Not even above 16 and it looks so detailed!)

Peace and Love!

he's amazing! He really looks like an ace attorney character!

Seems it's too late to guess, but I'll ask anyway: was that supposed to be a snake?
Also, I'm amazed by your works. >w<

Thank you everyone!

ann-nna wrote:
Seems it's too late to guess, but I'll ask anyway: was that supposed to be a snake?
Also, I'm amazed by your works. >w<

Yes!! You're literally the only person who got it right! A crab is way funnier anyway, so I'm okay with the change.

Quote:
Sorry if this wasn't helpful at all, I don't really know how to explain things well, haha.

Don't worry, it actually may help a lot.
BTW, even some characters from the original GBA trilogy, like Furio Tigre, have over 20 colors. I think 16 is an optimal choice.

Darth Wiader wrote:
Don't worry, it actually may help a lot.
BTW, even some characters from the original GBA trilogy, like Furio Tigre, have over 20 colors. I think 16 is an optimal choice.

I hope it helps! I also failed to mention that fixing the palette is the last thing I do when I sprite. That way you can see the colors that are similar and you can omit with some minor tweaks. There are also programs like Usenti that show you how many colors you have, which is also good if you have stray pixels.

Anyway I decided to tweak Dylan Quint a bit.
Image Image

Here's the side by side comparison.

I don't get to sprite much during the week because of work, but I managed to cook a little something up in the meantime.

I would love for this game to get made, however I have no desire to learn any of the current case makers.

Oh, also his signature phrase!
Spoiler:
Why would he say objection? He's not an attorney! Credits to MapleRose for the font.

Art Person

Nice! And the reason behind the speech bubble XD.
You could always do a sprite comic? Just make a template and add the images in.

SuperAj3 wrote:
Nice! And the reason behind the speech bubble XD.
You could always do a sprite comic? Just make a template and add the images in.

A sprite comic is one way to go. I used to make sprite comics when I was like, 12, and I don't mean to knock on people who make them, but they always seem amateurish in my opinion. Maybe someday if the case makers get crazy simple I'll give that a shot, but until then, it will remain in my head.

Anyway, what do you guys primarily use to make your animations around here?

Art Person

Fair enough XD

I use photoshop for spriting and animating
Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites